PDA

View Full Version : AGS Pick 5 Survival League - Week 8, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
October 17th, 2021, 07:12 PM
I thought by Week 7, this game might be a bit more difficult. Except for me barely surviving, it appears that Week 7 was pretty easy. Shoutout to Chalupa Batman, as he is the only one perfect for the entire season. 14 players alive with 5 weeks to go. Will it get tough before the end of the season, or will the inaugural season winner be decided via tiebreakers? Let's go!

MAKE WEEK 8 SURVIVAL PICKS HERE
(https://forms.gle/VALLnFK2PRsTKMH47)
DEADLINE: THU, OCT 21 @ 5 PM ET

Daytripper
October 18th, 2021, 06:11 AM
In.

Preferred Walk-On
October 18th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Stolen from Chalupa. Thanks.

This weeks games.

Friday, October 22
Columbia @ Dartmouth

Saturday, October 23
Long Island University @ Central Connecticut State
Duquesne @ Sacred Heart
Bryant @ Wagner
Morehead State @ Marist
Pennsylvania @ Yale
Stetson @ Drake
Harvard @ Princeton
San Diego @ Presbyterian
Davidson @ Butler
Brown @ Cornell
Dayton @ Valparaiso
Incarnate Word @ McNeese
Georgetown @ Bucknell
Lehigh @ Fordham
Chattanooga @ Samford
New Hampshire @ Elon
Maine @ Albany
North Carolina Central @ Morgan State
Youngstown State @ Indiana State
Norfolk State @ Howard
Robert Morris @ Gardner-Webb
North Carolina A&T @ Hampton
East Tennessee State @ Furman
Illinois State @ South Dakota
Western Carolina @ The Citadel
Bethune-Cookman @ Jackson State
South Carolina State @ Delaware State
Austin Peay @ Murray State
Jacksonville State @ Sam Houston
Charleston Southern @ North Alabama
Southeast Missouri @ UT Martin
Northern Iowa @ South Dakota State
Idaho State @ Montana State
Western Illinois @ North Dakota
Tennessee State @ Eastern Illinois
James Madison @ Delaware
Missouri State @ North Dakota State
Rhode Island @ Villanova
Richmond @ Stony Brook
Towson @ William & Mary
Kennesaw State @ Campbell
Southeastern Louisiana @ Northwestern State
Weber State @ Eastern Washington
Montana @ Idaho
Florida A&M @ Mississippi Valley State
Colgate @ Holy Cross
Wofford @ Mercer
Prairie View A&M @ Southern
Central Arkansas @ Lamar
Nicholls @ Houston Baptist
Northern Colorado @ Southern Utah
UC Davis @ Cal Poly
Alcorn State @ Texas Southern
Stephen F. Austin @ Dixie State
Northern Arizona @ Sacramento State

POD Knows
October 18th, 2021, 11:55 AM
In.

OhioHen
October 18th, 2021, 04:22 PM
If the requirement to avoid elimination was to correctly pick 4 or 5 (rather than 3), there are five of us with no eliminations who would each have one, one with zero to date who would be out, and one with one to date who would be out.

Maybe you made this too easy (says the guy sitting in ninth place).

Preferred Walk-On
October 18th, 2021, 04:54 PM
If the requirement to avoid elimination was to correctly pick 4 or 5 (rather than 3), there are five of us with no eliminations who would each have one, one with zero to date who would be out, and one with one to date who would be out.

Maybe you made this too easy (says the guy sitting in ninth place).

Yeah, it is an experiment. I had thought of picking 7-8 games/week and needing 5+ to be correct. 12x7=84 (of the 128 teams) or about 2/3. Now I think one might even need to go deeper. Perhaps it should be having to use all teams once during the season?

I put in the tiebreakers, because I thought it could be a possibility that few are eliminated. We'll see.

At the end of the year, I will make a thread asking for suggestions on improvement.

Chalupa Batman
October 18th, 2021, 06:34 PM
Yeah, you should've made this harder! :D (Getting this in before I go 2 out of 5 this weekend)

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2021, 06:50 PM

........IT'S HARD 'NUFF.....NOW........PSYCHOS..........AWQUE!!

Preferred Walk-On
October 18th, 2021, 07:29 PM
Yeah, you should've made this harder! :D (Getting this in before I go 2 out of 5 this weekend)

I was 0 for 2 to start Saturday. Luckily my last three came through, including St. Thomas.

MTfan4life
October 19th, 2021, 01:29 AM
It's a stretch to say this isn't difficult. It's just very progressive. The intent of requiring teams to pick 5 each week is to deplete your resources as the season goes on. Come week 10, it's going to be pretty challenging for a lot of people. Plus, this many people alive keeps people participating. It'd be kind of a drag to be in a competition where there's only a couple people left at the midway point of a season.

Preferred Walk-On
October 19th, 2021, 06:46 AM
It's a stretch to say this isn't difficult. It's just very progressive. The intent of requiring teams to pick 5 each week is to deplete your resources as the season goes on. Come week 10, it's going to be pretty challenging for a lot of people. Plus, this many people alive keeps people participating. It'd be kind of a drag to be in a competition where there's only a couple people left at the midway point of a season.

I am totally on-board with your last few comments. When deciding to start this, I decided to err on the side of having too many players rather than too few towards the end of the season. While I would like it to not be determined by tie breakers, I also am happy to have this many participants eight weeks in. Perhaps the "easy" part is having the "keeper" teams. A few players might be able to play the last two weeks with mostly keeper teams - this is where having to pick 7-8 games/week might have been advantageous (probably still many players left, but with fewer keepers available). We'll see, but thanks to everyone who has played this season.

caribbeanhen
October 19th, 2021, 06:47 AM
I think it’s a great game but admit I still don’t know the rules

but that’s ok and on me

HensRock
October 19th, 2021, 07:47 AM
While it might seem easy now. let's let it play out a full season before passing judgement. For a first attempt, I personally think this is an excellent game. And when creating a new pool like this, it's better to err on the side of being too easy than too hard. If it's too hard, it might be over midway through the season and that would be no fun. Optimally, I think you would want a high percentage of participants able to play the majority of the season, and then have a lot of eliminations in the last 3 or 4 games. It's hard to find that balance with an elimination pool.

Let's see how this pans out.

Preferred Walk-On
October 19th, 2021, 08:37 AM
While it might seem easy now. let's let it play out a full season before passing judgement. For a first attempt, I personally think this is an excellent game. And when creating a new pool like this, it's better to err on the side of being too easy than too hard. If it's too hard, it might be over midway through the season and that would be no fun. Optimally, I think you would want a high percentage of participants able to play the majority of the season, and then have a lot of eliminations in the last 3 or 4 games. It's hard to find that balance with an elimination pool.

Let's see how this pans out.

Definitely interested in how it plays out. I was just a little surprised that at Week 7, 10/14 players had 100% correct. I shouldn't be surprised though, as the posters on this forum are in-tune with and knowledgable about the FCS as a whole (or at the very least, get exposure to areas of the FCS that individual team forums just do not provide). No changes in the game this year, but will definitely be open to suggestions from the players (and anyone, really) at the end of the season.

POD Knows
October 19th, 2021, 09:34 AM

Let's see how this pans out.I agree with this statement and I can tell that it is getting progressively tougher to pick the games. I am going to be down to some bare bones teams by the end of this.

Hambone
October 19th, 2021, 05:44 PM
I'm getting a blank sheet so don't know for sure who I've picked......

Preferred Walk-On
October 19th, 2021, 06:21 PM
I'm getting a blank sheet so don't know for sure who I've picked......

I just took a look. All the info appears to be there. I might try refreshing the browser. Sometimes it takes a second or two to populate all the information it takes from other Google Sheets. Let me know if you are still having issues.

The Cats
October 19th, 2021, 07:02 PM
done

Preferred Walk-On
October 20th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Wednesday bump...

DEADLINE: THU, OCT 21 @ 5 PM ET (TOMORROW)

I have received picks from the following...

MTfan4life
HensRock
JALMOND
Chalupa Batman
Daytripper
KPSUL
POD Knows
JacksFan40
TheValleyRaider
Caribbeanhen

Preferred Walk-On
October 21st, 2021, 09:43 AM
Last reminder...today is the deadline (5 PM ET)

----------

Picks received from the following:

MTfan4life
HensRock
JALMOND
Chalupa Batman
Daytripper
KPSUL
POD Knows
JacksFan40
TheValleyRaider
Caribbeanhen
Preferred Walk-On
OhioHen

Still awaiting picks from:

Hambone (did your sheet of available teams repopulate for you?)
MR. CHICKEN

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2021, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=Preferred Walk-On;3004728]Last reminder...today is the deadline (5 PM ET)

----------

MTfan4life
HensRock
JALMOND
Chalupa Batman
Daytripper
KPSUL
POD Knows
JacksFan40
TheValleyRaider
Caribbeanhen
Preferred Walk-On
OhioHen

.......DOESN'T LOOK LIKE HE MADE IT IN....:(...AWK!

Preferred Walk-On
October 21st, 2021, 08:19 PM
I think it’s a great game but admit I still don’t know the rules

but that’s ok and on me

caribbean, I tried to send you a PM, but got this, "caribbeanhen has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

It is regarding your picks this week. You have three invalid picks and an invalid "keep" pick (Montana State (x2), Drake, and Nicholls State), meaning that your week consists of only two valid picks (you would need both correct to avoid an elimination week). Since there were no games this evening AND since you got your picks in before the deadline, I offered you the opportunity to edit the picks by clicking on the "Edit responses" in the pick confirmation email you received from Google Forms. You can edit them until midnight (ET), but then the window closes.

P.S. Fix your PM inbox. :P

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2021, 08:43 PM
caribbean, I tried to send you a PM, but got this, "caribbeanhen has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

It is regarding your picks this week. You have three invalid picks and an invalid "keep" pick (Montana State (x2), Drake, and Nicholls State), meaning that your week consists of only two valid picks (you would need both correct to avoid an elimination week). Since there were no games this evening AND since you got your picks in before the deadline, I offered you the opportunity to edit the picks by clicking on the "Edit responses" in the pick confirmation email you received from Google Forms. You can edit them until midnight (ET), but then the window closes.

Full Ride, thank you for the heads up and I’m sorry you had to go through this trouble

I think I have it fixed now and I do greatly appreciate the opportunity.

Preferred Walk-On
October 21st, 2021, 09:27 PM
Full Ride, thank you for the heads up and I’m sorry you had to go through this trouble

I think I have it fixed now and I do greatly appreciate the opportunity.

xthumbsupx

MTfan4life
October 21st, 2021, 10:49 PM

Carib sent me his picks. He'll take Lamar, Northern Colorado, Lehigh, Tennessee Tech, and Delaware. xrotatehx

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2021, 11:19 PM
Carib sent me his picks. He'll take Lamar, Northern Colorado, Lehigh, Tennessee Tech, and Delaware. xrotatehx

Haha

Good stuff!

I’m blaming my iPhone with about 50 windows to many open

If I lose this thing I’ll never recover

HensRock
October 22nd, 2021, 12:03 PM
I'm liking the diversity of picks. It seems every week, the vast majority of us have at least one team that no one else chose.

Hambone
October 23rd, 2021, 08:50 PM
Last reminder...today is the deadline (5 PM ET)

----------

MTfan4life
HensRock
JALMOND
Chalupa Batman
Daytripper
KPSUL
POD Knows
JacksFan40
TheValleyRaider
Caribbeanhen
Preferred Walk-On
OhioHen

MR. CHICKEN
I ended up going on vacation and didn’t have time to get anything in. ****. Probably would have messed it up anyway……

MR. CHICKEN
October 24th, 2021, 10:19 AM
I ended up going on vacation and didn’t have time to get anything in. ****. Probably would have messed it up anyway……

........DAT'S RIGHT UP DERE....WHIFF.....AH WAS ROBBED @ GUN-POINT.....FO' MAH HISTORY ESSAY.........BRAQUE!