PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-11

JALMOND
October 12th, 2021, 12:29 AM
Columbus Day (or whatever it is called now) and with it comes a chill over most of the Big Sky, signaling the change from the sunny summertime to the chilly winter. A time when one has to transform from the fun of the summer to the work of winter. The same happens with the conference play where no game is a gimme and only the best team will make the correct adjustments as the season goes on. Here are this week's power rankings (last week's ranking in parenthesis). All are my opinion only.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 63-17, this week Idaho at home---The Eagles avoided the dreaded Grizzly hangover and came back from the Bear's den with a strong road win, keeping them at the top of the conference. Can they stay there? They have somewhat of a rival game this week with Idaho coming in to town, and those types of games can always be tricky.

2. Montana State (4)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 45-7, this week at Weber State---Probably the most consistent team in the conference so far. The Bobcats have taken care of business each game they have played and are just a late score away against a strong Wyoming team from being undefeated. Things begin to get more difficult however this weekend on a short week and on the road.

3. Montana (2)---Last week beat Dixie State (FCS transitional) at home 31-14, this week Sacramento State at home---After suffering a tough first loss on the road the previous week, last week was supposed to be a get well game for the Grizzlies and while they did get the win, it was anything but easy. Did an Eagle hangover come into play? Whatever it was, they better get it right with a tough opponent coming in.

4. Sacramento State (6)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 41-20, this week at Montana---The Hornets recovered nicely from their off week and got a good home win against one of the bottom feeders in the conference. But like with everyone else, things are about to get difficult as they head into one of the tougher places to play in the conference. A win would be good but is that asking too much?

5. UC Davis (3)---Last week lost at Idaho State 27-17, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Aggies found out how mysteriously tough the Bengal barn can be as the once perfect Aggie team could never get rolling. It is October and weird things do happen but this may be tough to recover. But the road to recovery begins with another bottom team on the slate and this game is at home.

6. Weber State (5)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---Ready to write off this potent Wildcat team? Not so fast. After a good first win, the Wildcats took last week off and now, after that off week, they bring in a strong conference opponent for a crazy Friday game at their home. October craziness in Ogden, can it get any better. Maybe if the Wildcats get the win.

7. Idaho (7)---Last week beat Portland State at home 42-35, this week at Eastern Washington---Talk about a weird way to end the game. After being pretty much in control of the game, the Vandals tried to give it all away, ultimately not choosing to run out the clock but gifting the Vikings a chance to tie it. But they still prevailed and now play the hottest team in the conference who won't need any help.

8. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week bye, this week Southern Utah at home---Heading into the off week last week, the Lumberjacks finally looked like a highly capable team in getting a strong win. They hope some of that carries forward as they play their pseudo-rivals in the last game as conference foes. A good win here could keep some of that momentum going through the rest of the season.

9. Idaho State (13)---Last week beat UC Davis at home 27-17, this week at Portland State---Given up for dead this season, the Bengals rose up and knocked off one of the conference heavies to possibly jump start their season back to life. They have to leave their cozy confines this week for another conference tilt but it feels better with a good win under their belt.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week lost at Idaho 42-35, this week Idaho State at home---It seems the way the Vikings are playing the season is to see how far behind they can be at the half and then try to gut out the win in the final moments of the game. Surprisingly, it almost worked last week. But can they win that way? They do have a winnable game at home this week, if they don't fall way behind to start.

11. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 63-17, this week at UC Davis---Probably the most inconsistent team in the conference, the Bears laid an egg against the hottest team last week at home. They now head out on the road to play a team smarting from a tough upset themselves who won't want to get another loss. The Bears may get the game, but it will be tough.

12. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost at Montana State 45-7, this week bye---The first game of the year against San Diego gave the Mustangs hope that this may be a good year, but they have fallen and fallen so far. Last week was not great for them. Next week does not look any better. This week may come at a good time to refocus on what needs to be done.

13. Southern Utah (12)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 41-20, this week at Northern Arizona---The farewell season has not gone quite as well as the Thunderbirds would have wanted, especially last week as they took one on the chin on the road. They say goodbye to one of their conference rivals this weekend. Maybe they can head home with a win to show for it.

RECAP: 1-3 breaking away, 4-6 trying to keep up, 7-8 holding on, 9-13 off the pace.

UTGrizFan1
October 12th, 2021, 02:31 AM
Not an excuse but the Griz are experiencing a huge issue with injuries one of their O linemen leaving before the Dixie State game. Regardless we're going to have to play better to beat Sac State.

wapiti
October 12th, 2021, 10:52 AM
I using 8 Div 1 wins to guarantee a playoff spot. A 7 win total would be a bubble spot.

1. Eastern Washington --- EWU just keeps winning. This week is the first of 3 in a row at home. EWU has a good path for the playoffs. only needs to go 2-3 to guarantee a spot. They could easily go 5-0, the worst they do is 3-2.

2. Montana State --- Schedule heats up for the Cats starting this weekend. Cat's need to win one of the remaining 3 road games to guarantee a playoff spot and take care of business in the 2 home games. The road games are against top 20 teams in the nation.

3. Montana --- I watched part of the Dixie game on tv. The Griz struggled in this game, particularly in the first half. But as a top team should do they adjusted at half time and dominated the 2nd half. 4-2 to guarantee.

4. Sacramento State ---Sac gets a good opportunity to test their mettle by going to Missoula this weekend. Need to win 4 of 6 to guarantee a playoff spot.

5. UC Davis --- Losing to previously last play ISU drops UC-David. I would have put them below BBQ, but UC-D won the head-to-head in Ogden. Need to finish 3-2 to guarantee.

6. Weber State ---A bye may be what the BBQ needed to refocus and be ready the the 2nd half of the season and for MSU this Friday. Needs to go 6-0 to guarantee.

7. Idaho ---UI has been holding steady as a middle of the pack Big Sky team. Needs to go 6-0 to be a bubble team.

8. Northern Arizona ---A bye holds NAU in place. A 6-0 finish would guarantee a playoff spot.

9. Idaho State --- I thought ISU may go fully defeated, but they surprised UCD and took a W. Needs 6-0 to be a bubble team, but one of them is at BYU.

10. Portland State --- I think PSU is better than their record shows, but their schedule has been a tough one. PSU is out of the playoff hunt.

11. Northern Colorado --- UNC takes another one on the chin. The McCaffrey's are off to a bad start in their first season. 5-0 would put them as a bubble team, but that is not going to happen.

12. Southern Utah ---SUU has stunk it up this season and is out of the playoff hunt.

13. Cal Poly ---CP has stunk it up this season too and is out of the playoff hunt

RECAP: 1-3 leading the way, 4-6 A step behind, 7-8 Middle of the pack, 9-10 has work to do, 11-13 Stinking it up

MSUBobcat
October 12th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Not an excuse but the Griz are experiencing a huge issue with I juries and one of their O linemen leaving before the Dixie State game. Regardless we're going to have to play better to beat Sac State.

That was surprising to read the news of Keintz leaving the team. I hope he gets whatever help he may need, if leaving the stress of trying to be a student athlete is not enough. Also, welcome to board! (even if you are another Griz fan)

UTGrizFan1
October 12th, 2021, 11:32 PM
Appreciate the welcome, I actually used to be on the board a lot more but military Shenanigans got in the way for a while. Now that I'm on my way out I have more time to argue with random people on the internet about a sport I love and for the life of me couldn't remember my old login information and had issues with the site trying to retrieve it so I said screw it and made a new one.

And I know this may be sacrilegious but I actually root for both Montana schools until the Brawl. Family has a cabin in Sula and been to a few Griz games. Funny enough the first experience I had ever with any form of Collegiate Montana football was watching Travis Lulay at MSU.

grizband
October 12th, 2021, 11:34 PM
Appreciate the welcome, I actually used to be on the board a lot more but military Shenanigans got in the way for a while. Now that I'm on my way out I have more time to are you with random people on the internet about a sport I love and for the life of me couldn't remember my old login information and had issues with the site trying to retrieve it so I said screw it and made a new one
Do you remember your old username?

UTGrizFan1
October 12th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Do you remember your old username?

Utgrizfan, honestly not a huge deal I could rock with this one if needed. Just kept getting error messages or whenever I tried to reset it.

MSUBobcat
October 13th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Appreciate the welcome, I actually used to be on the board a lot more but military Shenanigans got in the way for a while. Now that I'm on my way out I have more time to argue with random people on the internet about a sport I love and for the life of me couldn't remember my old login information and had issues with the site trying to retrieve it so I said screw it and made a new one.

And I know this may be sacrilegious but I actually root for both Montana schools until the Brawl. Family has a cabin in Sula and been to a few Griz games. Funny enough the first experience I had ever with any form of Collegiate Montana football was watching Travis Lulay at MSU.

Luuuuuuuuuulay, Lulay, Lulay, Lulay! Man, it was great having him (and the Big Human) help turn the program around from that disastrous winless 2000 season my junior year, especially ending the 16 year Streak in 2002 (which my friends and I watched from some club area at UM after sharing a bit of Devil's Lettuce with the bartender when he came out for a cigarette break - good times!).

I forgot my info a long while back and Ursus was able to retrieve it for me, if you're interested in bringing the old profile back to life.