PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 5 2021

bonarae
October 9th, 2021, 09:19 PM
Last week with the OOC games.

Colgate at Cornell - Friday night game
Yale at UConn - toss-up at this point (can UConn finally close a game with a win?)
Princeton at Brown
Dartmouth at UNH
Lafayette at Harvard
Penn at Columbia - toss-up

NY Crusader 2010
October 10th, 2021, 06:43 AM
Cornell => Don't let Colgate's 2-0 PL record fool you. They stink!
UCONN => IMO Yale should be very slightly favored on road. But this is probably last chance for a Husky win in 2021. I predict UConn wins in OT, students storm field.
Princeton => This game will be close for a half. Princeton flexes its muscles as game wears on.
Dartmouth => I'm not that high on The Big Green this year, I just don't think UNH is very good.
Harvard => This game will be closer than people think
Columbia => going with the home team. I might go to this game. Indian Road Cafe for pregame brunch. Done.

Ivytalk
October 10th, 2021, 06:54 AM
Cornell
UConn
Princeton
UNH
Harvard (possible trap game)
Columbia

Go Green
October 13th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Conn's governor says that the state is committed to FBS football.

NCAA: UConn isn't backing down on big-time football (yahoo.com) (https://sports.yahoo.com/connecticut-governor-declares-u-conn-is-all-in-on-big-time-football-despite-its-current-spot-at-very-bottom-191137164.html)

Wonder what he will say if the Huskies lose on Saturday...

Bogus Megapardus
October 13th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Colgate (PK) at Cornell

Yale (-3) at UConn

Princeton (-16.5) at Brown

Dartmouth (PK) at New Hampshire

Harvard (-17.5) vs Lafayette

Columbia (-2.5) vs Penn

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Conn's governor says that the state is committed to FBS football.

NCAA: UConn isn't backing down on big-time football (yahoo.com) (https://sports.yahoo.com/connecticut-governor-declares-u-conn-is-all-in-on-big-time-football-despite-its-current-spot-at-very-bottom-191137164.html)

That's the smart play given that things can, by nature, trend upward quickly with the right coach and it does him no good to wreck the recruiting by saying something out of turn.

The Ivy League knows that well.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2005/01/20/letter-questions-value-of-ivy-football/

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2021, 08:57 PM
I’d probably take the points on the Princeton and Harvard games, although I think both favorites will win.

Go Green
October 14th, 2021, 05:26 AM
That's the smart play given that things can, by nature, trend upward quickly with the right coach and it does him no good to wreck the recruiting by saying something out of turn.

The Ivy League knows that well.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2005/01/20/letter-questions-value-of-ivy-football/

In Furstenburg's defense, he did have a point that the letter was intended to be a private communication...

A better example would be former Yale President Giamatti's 1980 speech de-emphasizing football, which Carm Cozza said very much hurt Yale's recruiting for years.

Learning to lose | News | The Harvard Crimson (thecrimson.com) (https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1983/11/16/learning-to-lose-pbybale-alumni-treasurer/)

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2021, 09:51 AM
In Furstenburg's defense, he did have a point that the letter was intended to be a private communication...

A better example would be former Yale President Giamatti's 1980 speech de-emphasizing football, which Carm Cozza said very much hurt Yale's recruiting for years.

Learning to lose | News | The Harvard Crimson (thecrimson.com) (https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1983/11/16/learning-to-lose-pbybale-alumni-treasurer/)

I want to thank Princeton for helping Yale avoid a winless season in 1983. Something that has still not happened, despite a few close calls.

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2021, 09:55 AM
So the Ivies don’t participate in the playoffs because they fear the success of the teams will bring the unwanted perception that they are football schools?

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2021, 10:01 AM
So the Ivies don’t participate in the playoffs because they fear the success of the teams will bring the unwanted perception that they are football schools?

As opposed to basketball, baseball, hockey, and lacrosse schools. Sports that do participate.

But football is evil.

Go Green
October 14th, 2021, 11:35 AM

The latest I've heard from the Ivy presidents is that they do not want to participate in the playoffs because they don't want us playing Alabama.

Pollack Says Greek Reforms ‘On-Track,’ Addresses Mental Health on Campus | The Cornell Daily Sun (cornellsun.com) (https://cornellsun.com/2018/11/13/pollack-says-greek-reforms-on-track-addresses-mental-health-on-campus/)

crusader11
October 14th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Tells you everything you need to know about how disconnected these folks in their ivory academia towers are with the landscape of college athletics.

Ivytalk
October 14th, 2021, 03:09 PM
The latest I've heard from the Ivy presidents is that they do not want to participate in the playoffs because they don't want us playing Alabama.

Pollack Says Greek Reforms ‘On-Track,’ Addresses Mental Health on Campus | The Cornell Daily Sun (cornellsun.com) (https://cornellsun.com/2018/11/13/pollack-says-greek-reforms-on-track-addresses-mental-health-on-campus/)

How clueless is that? xlmaox

Dang hotel schools.

Go Green
October 14th, 2021, 03:37 PM

Dang hotel schools.

That, and the fact that Cornell hasn't won the Ivy since 1990. Playoffs really aren't Cornell's problem. :)

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2021, 03:42 PM
What is the general desire of the players? Not that they cast a vote ....

- - - Updated - - -

Dang hotel schools.

the old farm house is undergoing a renovation

CHIP72
October 14th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Yeah, all those years CBS would feature Pete Carril in the NCAA Tournament video montage after Princeton beat UCLA in the 1996 tournament shows how postseason participation in other sports provides no benefits or spotlight for the Ivy League. xrolleyesx

The Boogie Down
October 14th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Cornell => Don't let Colgate's 2-0 PL record fool you. They stink!
UCONN => IMO Yale should be very slightly favored on road. But this is probably last chance for a Husky win in 2021. I predict UConn wins in OT, students storm field.
Princeton => This game will be close for a half. Princeton flexes its muscles as game wears on.
Dartmouth => I'm not that high on The Big Green this year, I just don't think UNH is very good.
Harvard => This game will be closer than people think
Columbia => going with the home team. I might go to this game. Indian Road Cafe for pregame brunch. Done.

I can agree with just about everything here. Especially if the Indian Road Cafe brunch includes the smoked salmon/eggs benedict combo!

Unfortunately tho, the one part I don't see happening is Yale even getting to OT against UConn. After flailing against UMass in their latest debacle, I gotta imagine that UConn keeps from completely embarrassing itself at least once this year. Hope I'm wrong but I think this is the week UConn breaks out and wins by about 3 TD's. Otoh, even if I'm right, even if the Huskies win bigly, even if both UConn fans storm the field afterwards, no one will notice.

bonarae
October 14th, 2021, 06:37 PM

I do not think this is the case for football. Its anti stance history is long enough to stamp out any threats or progress; do you think there is any chance of radical change in our lifetimes? xchinscratchx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2021, 09:21 AM
I do not think this is the case for football. Its anti stance history is long enough to stamp out any threats or progress; do you think there is any chance of radical change in our lifetimes? xchinscratchx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t know how old you are, bonarae, but I’m 67, and my answer to your question is a hard no.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2021, 09:35 AM

Dang hotel schools.

OMG Ivy...That Crimson Tide is a monster! And we would have to play them in Arizona or someplace!

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2021, 06:10 PM
Colgate (PK) at Cornell

Yale (-3) at UConn

Princeton (-16.5) at Brown

Dartmouth (PK) at New Hampshire

Harvard (-17.5) vs Lafayette

Columbia (-2.5) vs Penn

Cornell

Yale

Princeton

New Hampshire

Harvard

Columbia

I think Brown will cover. Princeton not as much of a powerhouse as most people thought preseason

Surprised Yale is favored, even though I picked them. As bad as UConn is they are still FBS and at home.

crusader11
October 16th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Cornell
As bad as UConn is they are still FBS and at home.

FBS in name only.

As you know, Holy Cross beat them relatively convincingly...and HC is a fringe top 25 FCS team.

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Yale turnover after moving into UConn territory.

No score.

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Yale turns the ball over on downs inside the UConn 30.

No running game at all for either team.

Still no score

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Terrible offensive football

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Yale's best weapon is their punter.

49.8 yard avg on 4 punts

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Yale gives up the big play as usual

63 yard TD pass for UConn. I think they got more yards on that one play than all the others combined.

7-0 UConn five minutes left in the half.

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 12:38 PM
UConn 14 Yale 0

20 seconds left in the half

Yale has been embarrassingly inept on offense and set UConn up for a late TD with an interception followed by a pass interference penalty.

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2021, 12:41 PM
Harvard 10, Lafayette 0 end of first. Marco Olivos had a clean fumble 6 after QB hit by Schaeffer but somehow couldnt find handle and Harvard's center recovered. Ugh he had it!!

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 01:14 PM
UConn 21 Yale 0 early 3rd

This could get ugly

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 01:21 PM
UConn 21 Yale 3

8:40 left in the 3rd

Go Green
October 16th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Dartmouth doing fine againsnt UNH. 24-7 at half. Here's hoping of more of the same in the second half!

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 01:50 PM
UConn 21 Yale 9 end of the third

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 02:24 PM
UConn 21 Yale 15

4:30 left in the game

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 02:43 PM
UConn 21 Yale 15 Final

Yale had a chance at the end. They had their hands on the ball in the end zone, but couldn't pull it in.

crusader11
October 16th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Yale's QB Nolan Grooms was pretty bad.

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2021, 03:32 PM
Harvard’s ground game came back for 30-3 win over the Leopards.

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Harvard’s ground game came back for 30-3 win over the Leopards.

Congrats! Who was the dude that had like 150 at half and what did he finish with. Overall a damn impressive performance by Crimson today.

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2021, 04:29 PM
Congrats! Who was the dude that had like 150 at half and what did he finish with. Overall a damn impressive performance by Crimson today.

Borguet. Shampklin must have been hurt today.

crusader11
October 16th, 2021, 04:43 PM
Hopefully the Ivy earned some national respect today with Dartmouth throttling UNH. UNH played James Madison to a 23-21 game last week.

Dartmouth and Harvard are legit top 15 teams, IMO.

Now just wish Tim Murphy challenged himself with some benchmarking OOC games.

Go Green
October 16th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Hopefully the Ivy earned some national respect today with Dartmouth throttling UNH. UNH played James Madison to a 23-21 game last week.

Dartmouth and Harvard are legit top 15 teams, IMO.

Now just wish Tim Murphy challenged himself with some benchmarking OOC games.

Preach! :)

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Yale's QB Nolan Grooms was pretty bad.

O'Connor was worse. Three INT's

Son of Eli
October 16th, 2021, 08:47 PM
Ivy League finishes its OOC schedule with a 17-7 record and a .708 winning percentage.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Ivy League finishes its OOC schedule with a 17-7 record and a .708 winning percentage.

But if you back out Harvard, Princeton, and Dartmouth, it’s 8-7.xcoolx

Parity!:D