PDA

View Full Version : The future is now for Mo State Bears

ShowMeBear2
August 26th, 2007, 08:29 PM
The future is now

With 43 freshmen on roster, youth takes the stage for Bears.

Lyndal Scranton
News-Leader

As a new football season nears, Missouri State coach Terry Allen feels like a kid strapping in for a high-speed carnival ride.
One minute Allen is nervous, the next excited. He's anxious, yet eager. Smile or frown? He's not sure what to do.

"It's by far the youngest football team I've ever had," Allen said of 43 freshmen comprising nearly half the Bears' 90-man roster.

"There's some obvious anxiety with that," Allen added. "But it's also kind of exciting."

What could be a wild journey takes off at 7 p.m. Thursday when Missouri-Rolla visits Plaster Sports Complex.

The theme for year two of the Allen Era at Missouri State seems simple:

Kids are the future. Yet the future is now.

Seventeen of the 30 players listed on the two-deeps are freshmen — nine true rookies and eight redshirts.

This a year after Allen's first team, a senior-dominated group he inherited, went 2-9. All 18 freshmen from that team, like money stashed away in the bank, were redshirts.

Mix in 25 first-year freshmen and there will be growing pains along the way. But there also is budding excitement in a success-starved program that's had only two winning seasons in the last 10.

"The freshmen they brought in are talented beyond their classification," senior linebacker Jerome Poole said. "Their role is vital to this football team."

Some true freshmen to watch — now and the next four seasons — include quarterback Cody Kirby, running backs Kingjack Washington and Stephen Johnston, receiver Brandon Oliver and defensive end Terian Washington.

Others also could emerge, though Allen hopes to redshirt at least a dozen from the incoming group.

A common thread is speed. Washington, Johnston, Oliver and others are fast, an area sorely lacking on recent Bears' teams.

"Speed is the name of the game," Allen said.

"This class has the speed to compete in the Gateway, it just doesn't have the experience," Allen said.

Speed will be vital on offense, where the Bears switch to a no-huddle, spread attack.

Allen believes the scheme will help offset inexperience in the offensive line.

"We don't have the personnel to line up and physically beat people up and rush the football down their nose," he said. "The no-huddle ... allows us to do some things to use our speed and athleticism versus strength."

Sophomore Matt Krapfl and Kirby will split the quarterback duties in the season opener and perhaps the first few games.

Youth will play a big role, but veterans aren't forgotten. Center David Tillman is the lone senior on the offensive line, but senior receivers Tamarkus McElvane, Jeremy Nicholson and Eric Davis lead the most experienced position group.

Defensively, the Bears look to upgrade after finishing next-to-last in the Gateway Conference last season. Poole and cornerback Marcus Colbert are the only senior starters.

A pair of redshirt freshmen, middle linebacker Sam Block and free safety Derek Miller, are starters. Seven other freshmen are in the playing-time mix.

"We have a group of play-hard guys over there," Allen said. "We have guys with good motors."

Allen said Washington is a perfect example of young talent. He's possibly a big-time pass-rushing end.

"But he's 17 years old and not heavy enough," Allen said. "But Terian is a prototype of being an outstanding one, though maybe is a couple of years away."

Block said the freshmen share a common bond, and belief, that good times are ahead.

"We're trying to make a statement now that, 'hey, we're gonna be here for a while. We're young, but up the road we're gonna be a lot older and a lot better.' "

Block also knows there could be growing pains.

"I think we'll come up to and hit a wall a couple of times," he said. "But I think we ... will figure out what it takes to step through them in college ball."

Perhaps the last youth movement this large for Missouri State football occurred 20 years ago, also in a coach's second season. Jesse Branch's roster in 1987 was comprised of 51.7 percent freshmen.

That team went 5-6, then finished 5-5 in 1988. The 1989 season produced a 10-3 record, Gateway championship and I-AA playoff berth.

"I'd like to think that's a good sign," Allen said, of the comparison. "Obviously Jesse had success, but did it in the right manner. They built with young players."

Allen said he has no idea how many wins this year's team could achieve, but he won't be surprised if the Bears upset a couple of Gateway heavyweights along the way.

A stumble or two against lesser teams also is possible.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen this year, but I think it's a great foundation for the future," he said.

"I'll measure success by how much they improve and how they compare athletically with the teams we play. Are the young players as gifted as the top players in the league, but just lack experience?

"I'm excited about this group."