PDA

View Full Version : SoCon 2021 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 6

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2021, 10:51 AM
Away
Home
Time
Prediculation

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
1:30P
TBD

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
TBD

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
3:30P
TBD

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30The Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
4:30P
TBD

This week’s prediculations later in the week…

3 good ones & 1 miss last week. Prediculated scores & margins were pretty close, except in the miss. FUBeAR really underestimated how far VMI’s D has fallen since Spring. Mentioned their decline a few times previously in these threads, but it’s worse than I thought. Bellhops D (perhaps augmented by Burke HS Players) also, finally, played a decent game.

Power Ranking

1) Mercer
2) Furman
3) Chattanooga
4) ETSU
5) Samford
6) A Citadel; one of several
7) VMI
8) Wofford
9) WCU

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 3rd, 2021, 05:13 PM
I was 3-1 last week, wiffing on the Military Classic of the South game. Beginning to see some separation between the teams, two teams that I called to be at the top and bottom of the pile at the jump were there. This is where I have it at this point:

1) East Tennessee State - finally won a game against Wofford
2) Mercer - another conference game, another conference win
3) NottaQuitta - proving some media members right so far
4) Da Citadel - Chuckydogs won back the Silver Shako
5) VMI - Beginning to fall out of favor
6) Furman - licking their wounds from the previous weeks
7) Samford - lost another close game on the road
8) Wofford - had nothing to be ashamed of
9) Western Carolina - failed in their attempt to avenge being left at the altar last spring miserably

This Week's Games
Furman @ Wofford - Paladins run roughshod all over Sparkle City
NottaQuitta @ VMI - Mocs plow into Lexington with the pain train
Mercer @ Western Carolina - Bears maul toothless and punchless Cats
Da Citadel @ ETSU (Game of the Week) - Bucs defend their house

bonarae
October 3rd, 2021, 07:53 PM
Furman
Chatty
Mercer
ETSU

gofurman
October 4th, 2021, 12:55 AM
I was 3-1 last week, wiffing on the Military Classic of the South game. Beginning to see some separation between the teams, two teams that I called to be at the top and bottom of the pile at the jump were there. This is where I have it at this point:

1) East Tennessee State - finally won a game against Wofford
2) Mercer - another conference game, another conference win
3) NottaQuitta - proving some media members right so far
4) Da Citadel - Chuckydogs won back the Silver Shako
5) VMI - Beginning to fall out of favor
6) Furman - licking their wounds from the previous weeks
7) Samford - lost another close game on the road
8) Wofford - had nothing to be ashamed of
9) Western Carolina - failed in their attempt to avenge being left at the altar last spring miserably

This Week's Games
Furman @ Wofford - Paladins run roughshod all over Sparkle City
NottaQuitta @ VMI - Mocs plow into Lexington with the pain train
Mercer @ Western Carolina - Bears maul toothless and punchless Cats
Da Citadel @ ETSU (Game of the Week) - Bucs defend their house

I’ll be SHOCKED if my Furman guys run all over the dogs in sparkly city. We haven’t won there since 2006? Neither this coach
nor our last Have EVER won over there. That’s a stat

i hope we win. That would be a little shocking. To run roughshod? CRAZY. Again, we ain’t won in Spartanburg since 2005/2006 - that’s a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

we also have THE WORST OFFENSE in the conference (3 points vs Mercer?…….?……(. The same Mercer that allowed about 50 to Samford. We never got a TD. Not once. One TD in last 8 quarters I think?

Mocs123
October 4th, 2021, 05:58 AM
Furman – 16 – I’m picking the Paladins to go on the road and win an ugly low scoring game
Wofford - 14

Chattanooga – 31 – The Mocs take the long road trip to Lexington and come away with a win
VMI - 21

Mercer – 42 – I think the Bears win a high scoring affair on the road
Western Carolina - 35

The Citadel - 20
ETSU – 34 – The Bucs win at home against an improving Bulldogs team

Power Rankings:
I think we’re starting to see some separation. To me the top 3 teams are starting to break away but I’m not sure of the order.
I really struggled with ranking 4-7 this week but here is my best shot – I’m sure some fans won’t be happy.
To be honest, even teams #8 and #9 are dangerous.

1.) ETSU (0)
2.) Mercer (0)
3.) Chattanooga (0)

4.) Furman (+1) – I think Furman is a good team, but if the offense doesn’t show life soon, they’ll fall on the list.
5.) Samford (+1) – Can a team move up with a loss? This team took two of the best teams in the SoCon to the wire, so I say they can.
6.) VMI (-2) – Defense let the Keydets down Saturday
7.) The Citadel (+1) – Great win for the Bulldogs last Saturday, will the real Citadel team please stand up.

8.) Wofford (-1) – Showed some fight Saturday
9.) Western Carolina (0) – Getting better but not their yet.

walliver
October 4th, 2021, 08:48 AM
I think there has been some voodoo affecting the Upstate of South Carolina. Nobody wants to play offense, not even the Tiggers.

Power rankings:
1) ETSU - as long as they are undefeated, they stay here.
2) Chattanooga - looked well for the short period of time I watched their last game.
3) Mercer

4) Samford - They can move the ball

5) Furman
6) VMI
7) some Citadel
8) Wofford - I don't think we have the personnel to run Conk's offense
9) WCU

Predictions:

Furman at Wofford - This game should be as low scoring as the 1889 5-1 Terrier win, but I suspect both offenses will step up this week with an eventual 24-17 Wofford win.
Chattanooga at VMI - VMI always plays hard, but the Trainbirds outman them in a 31-14 Chatty win
Mercer at WCU - high scoring affair, but the cubbies make a few more stops and win 63-42
Citadel at The ETSU - The option will keep the bellhops in the game, but ETSU makes the big plays and pulls out a 20-10 win

ElCid
October 4th, 2021, 10:22 AM
I do get a kick out of how folks have us below VMI after we just beat them and are on an upswing despite the continued excuses for VMI's defense rather than acknowledge our creative wrinkles on O. That's ok, it not an objective standing. And I am not pointing fingers at any of the above specifically. But I just don't want to hear much talk about how "so and so" just beat "them" "so how can you have them below," when I do it. I know you hear that a lot in the AGS poll. I really don't believe in it myself as a hard factor in all cases. I am still dumbfounded by our loss to CSU and that is a black mark for sure. I think we were hung over from the CCU loss even though they have been ranked all year, and thought we had an easy win the next week. Not that it matters at all, it will be decided on the field for sure.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2021, 11:03 AM
I do get a kick out of how folks have us below VMI after we just beat them and are on an upswing despite the continued excuses for VMI's defense rather than acknowledge our creative wrinkles on O. That's ok, it not an objective standing. And I am not pointing fingers at any of the above specifically. But I just don't want to hear much talk about how "so and so" just beat "them" "so how can you have them below," when I do it. I know you hear that a lot in the AGS poll. I really don't believe in it myself as a hard factor in all cases. I am still dumbfounded by our loss to CSU and that is a black mark for sure. I think we were hung over from the CCU loss even though they have been ranked all year, and thought we had an easy win the next week. Not that it matters at all, it will be decided on the field for sure.FUBeAR is nuthin’ but love for you & your SamsoniteToters, Cid…
Power Ranking

7) VMI

The Cats
October 4th, 2021, 11:17 AM
Furman @ Wofford
ChattaQuitta @ VMI
Mercer @ Western Carolina
The Citadel @ ETSU

Purple & Gold's SoCon Football Power Rankings (https://catamountsportsblog.blogspot.com/2021/10/2021-socon-football-power-rankings.html)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 4th, 2021, 02:33 PM
I’ll be SHOCKED if my Furman guys run all over the dogs in sparkly city. We haven’t won there since 2006? Neither this coach
nor our last Have EVER won over there. That’s a stat

Well do you have some form of motivation in that Wofford chose to quit on the season this past spring, which affected your team and a few others (ETSU being one of them). I hope your team keeps that in mind when you play them.

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2021, 05:04 PM
I do get a kick out of how folks have us below VMI after we just beat them and are on an upswing despite the continued excuses for VMI's defense rather than acknowledge our creative wrinkles on O. That's ok, it not an objective standing. And I am not pointing fingers at any of the above specifically. But I just don't want to hear much talk about how "so and so" just beat "them" "so how can you have them below," when I do it. I know you hear that a lot in the AGS poll. I really don't believe in it myself as a hard factor in all cases. I am still dumbfounded by our loss to CSU and that is a black mark for sure. I think we were hung over from the CCU loss even though they have been ranked all year, and thought we had an easy win the next week. Not that it matters at all, it will be decided on the field for sure.

I have yet to put in a power ranking, because I don't really know what it means....is it team X will beat team y on this week, or is it going forward, or is it where they will finish in the conference race....if it is the later, maybe some can justify ranking VMI above the team that just took them out....but I don't think there are defined power ranking parameters...so......

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2021, 05:08 PM
ChattaQuitta @ VMI

Purple & Gold's SoCon Football Power Rankings (https://catamountsportsblog.blogspot.com/2021/10/2021-socon-football-power-rankings.html)

You might want to change that to "Chatta-BEAT-OUR-ASS, and showed us mercy by not letting their freshman team beat our ass last year" or maybe just CHATTANOOGA....otherwise you look a little bitter that you didn't get to see your kids got throat stomped!!!

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2021, 05:15 PM
I have yet to put in a power ranking, because I don't really know what it means....is it team X will beat team y on this week, or is it going forward, or is it where they will finish in the conference race....if it is the later, maybe some can justify ranking VMI above the team that just took them out....but I don't think there are defined power ranking parameters...so......
Maybe try this…

A Power Ranking is an individual’s assessment of the relative quality of each Team vis a vis each other Team at a single point in time based upon both each Team’s recent performance in the current season to date combined with an individual’s assessment of each Team’s potential future performance in the current season, the latter of which includes an individual’s assessment of the likelihood each Team will actually realize the assessed future potential performance in the current season.

Easy-peasy. What you got, MT?

How do the other 8 Teams line up behind the expected FCS National Champion Mocks?

ElCid
October 4th, 2021, 05:29 PM

It really is in the eye of the beholder. I have always looked at it in more of a trending manner more than solely a results oriented way. I mean, we have the standings for pure results. But I used a combination of the two plus my eye test watching them. I at least watch a chunk of every game.

I haven't done my rankings yet this week, but I thinking Mercer is clear #2 or even a tie for #1 with ETSU. I've been high on Chatty too. I think they just crapped the bed with the Peay. Not unlike what we did with CSU. Furman and Wofford have unresolved issues, so far. That may change. VMI appears to be stale. Samford is, well Samford. They could win or lose any game. If I was a Samford fan, I would be pissed at the results. WCU is not as bad as they were, but can't seem to follow through. And I like my Bulldog's upward curve the last two games. Our game with NGU and bye week were perfectly timed to clean up a lot.

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Maybe try this…

A Power Ranking is an individual’s assessment of the relative quality of each Team vis a vis each other Team at a single point in time based upon both each Team’s recent performance in the current season to date combined with an individual’s assessment of each Team’s potential future performance in the current season, the latter of which includes an individual’s assessment of the likelihood each Team will actually realize the assessed future potential performance in the current season.

How do the other 8 Teams line up behind the expected FCS National Champion Mocks?

Gall Darnet Mr. FuBear, you use your tongue prettier than a $20 whore!

Milktruck74
October 4th, 2021, 05:42 PM
It really is in the eye of the beholder. I have always looked at it in more of a trending manner more than solely a results oriented way. I mean, we have the standings for pure results. But I used a combination of the two plus my eye test watching them. I at least watch a chunk of every game.

I haven't done my rankings yet this week, but I thinking Mercer is clear #2 or even a tie for #1 with ETSU. I've been high on Chatty too. I think they just crapped the bed with the Peay. Not unlike what we did with CSU. Furman and Wofford have unresolved issues, so far. That may change. VMI appears to be stale. Samford is, well Samford. They could win or lose any game. If I was a Samford fan, I would be pissed at the results. WCU is not as bad as they were, but can't seem to follow through. And I like my Bulldog's upward curve the last two games. Our game with NGU and bye week were perfectly timed to clean up a lot.

Yep....I still don't know what it all means....Go Mocs!!!!

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2021, 05:56 PM

Y’know, Cid….you’re startin’ to remind me of a certain political party, which I won’t mention because this is not the Political Forum…but Coastal Carolina happened. The Beach Chickens may be a pretty good club, but you can’t just pretend your bellhops were not seen running around on D like, well, like chickens with their heads cut off. And you can’t just sweep away NGU moving the ball up & down the field, at will, between the 20’s on that same D…until the Crusaders excellent RB was injured. You keep mentioning CSU and seeming to be trying to inch the narrative to 1 bad game.

No Sir - FUBeAR has eyes & a memory. 2 poop shows, 1 highly questionable performance by the D in a D2 win…and a really solid performance against VMI, which certainly surprised FUBeAR. But…the SoCon ain’t some barren rocky desert half a world away. We remember what y’all did the 1st 3 games…and it was NOT an extraordinary success.

Now… all that said… BEAT ETSU!!! (…but they ain’t VMI. Strap up & hold on to your weapons. You’ll need ‘em!)

HootyHoo
October 4th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Maybe try this…

I was told there would be no math.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2021, 06:43 PM
I was told there would be no math.Sorry, you have confused the AGS Message Board with the graduation requirements for a BS in Mathematics from KSU.

ElCid
October 4th, 2021, 07:25 PM
Y’know, Cid….you’re startin’ to remind me of a certain political party, which I won’t mention because this is not the Political Forum…but Coastal Carolina happened. The Beach Chickens may be a pretty good club, but you can’t just pretend your bellhops were not seen running around on D like, well, like chickens with their heads cut off. And you can’t just sweep away NGU moving the ball up & down the field, at will, between the 20’s on that same D…until the Crusaders excellent RB was injured. You keep mentioning CSU and seeming to be trying to inch the narrative to 1 bad game.

No Sir - FUBeAR has eyes & a memory. 2 poop shows, 1 highly questionable performance by the D in a D2 win…and a really solid performance against VMI, which certainly surprised FUBeAR. But…the SoCon ain’t some barren rocky desert half a world away. We remember what y’all did the 1st 3 games…and it was NOT an extraordinary success.

Now… all that said… BEAT ETSU!!! (…but they ain’t VMI. Strap up & hold on to your weapons. You’ll need ‘em!)

I'm pretty sure I didn't say we looked great. That is in Mr. Fubears mind. But that we were trending in the right direction. And on paper, it sure as heck does look like just one bad game and all the spinning you can attempt couldn't change that. And moving the ball is one thing, scoring another. We didn't let them get an offensive TD. Sure we struggled with the first two games. But our O got some good reps with NGU And our game plan on O for VMI was inspired. Not to mention the improved play on D. The team that played VMI was totally different, on both sides of the ball and it wasn't ALL VMI being overrated either.

I had a huge fear about ETSU until I saw our game last week. We may not win, but can give them a run for their money. Hopefully ETSU won't figure out how to deal with the latest unbalance line wrinkle we ran. And our QB is finally settling in. Just hope they don't get too cocky and have a let down after the Shako returned home. Plus I really like our latest BBack, Billings in his first game carrying the ball. Nothing like 100 yd game with a pair of TDs on your first day at BBack. I had visions of Tyler Renew while watching him plow through the middle a couple times.

FUBeAR
October 4th, 2021, 09:29 PM
And on paper, it sure as heck does look like just one bad game and all the spinning you can attempt couldn't change that.
On paper? That must be something you’re typing from the Party-Line Teleprompter.

You’re trying to pretend the embarrassing performance FUBeAR watched on the ugly turf in Conway didn’t happen.

And, you want us all to ignore that the bellhops gave up nearly 300 yards of O & 20 1st downs to a last-place in their conference D2 Team that was just doubled-up by the Team just ahead of them in that D2 conference.

C’mon man! The VMI game was a nice showing, but the baby-blue boys own those other 2 games too, just like they own the CSU debacle - the only SoiledSerta game you want to spin that the bullpups have played. Nope, there’s definitely a soiled bunk-bed rack in those barracks, along with a set of sheets, hidden in a duffel, that smell sorta rank.

ElCid
October 4th, 2021, 10:59 PM
On paper? That must be something you’re typing from the Party-Line Teleprompter.

You’re trying to pretend the embarrassing performance FUBeAR watched on the ugly turf in Conway didn’t happen.

And, you want us all to ignore that the bellhops gave up nearly 300 yards of O & 20 1st downs to a last-place in their conference D2 Team that was just doubled-up by the Team just ahead of them in that D2 conference.

C’mon man! The VMI game was a nice showing, but the baby-blue boys own those other 2 games too, just like they own the CSU debacle - the only SoiledSerta game you want to spin that the bullpups have played. Nope, there’s definitely a soiled bunk-bed rack in those barracks, along with a set of sheets, hidden in a duffel, that smell sorta rank.

It really is funny how you make stuff up. Who pretended anything? Reading is fundamental and comprehension more so.

ElCid
October 5th, 2021, 12:29 AM
Power Poll

1) East Tennessee State – Still out front but Mercer is nipping at their heels; while Wofford stayed close this past week, they had some help from a turnover and some seriously bad punts by ETSU; what’s up with that? Hope it continues this week
2) Mercer – Statistically they edged out Samford by a little; it was a real shootout with 6 lead changes; everyone knows Samford can rack up the yards and points, but both teams had over 500 yards of O…both D’s must have taken shower breaks; still, they got it done
3) Chattanooga – They played about as I expected, very well balanced offense; good defense
4) Samford – Weirdest team out there; definitely a feast or famine approach; they need to make a serious effort to hold on to leads; I’m pretty sure they have led at one point in every single game they lost, sometimes by a lot; in the 3 games they lost, they lost by one score each time….ouch.
5) The Citadel – Contrary to FuBear’s lame attempts at poo-pooing the Bulldogs, they had a great game and the trend has been up and things on both sides of the ball seem to be coming together, finally; the Dogs have lots of options for B-Backs now, the passing game is stepping up, blocking has improved and most important, the D seems to have found itself a bit; granted, the Cadets were fighting for the coveted Silver Shako so maybe they played above themselves. I mean who wouldn’t? We will see if the improvements continue this week
6) VMI – I am a little perplexed; VMI basically got everyone back, but they seem a little out of sorts; I know their hot QB was gimpy this week
7) Furman – Since their week one game against NC A&T, they have scored a total of 3 TDs, one in garbage time at NC St…and none against Mercer. Yikes….
8) Wofford – They seem to hang around games, but their offense appears in disarray
9) Western Carolina – Their defense is bad, their offense is ok, but turnovers are not helping

SOCON OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Fred Davis, R-Fr., RB, Mercer (just so Fubear wouldn’t get mad)
SOCON DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Dominick Poole, Fr., CB, The Citadel (just to get Fubear mad)

Predictions This might be a weird week in that most of the home teams are the underdogs; wouldn't be surprised if there is an upset

Furman @ Wofford – The last time Furman won in Spartanburg…2006; this could be the year; who will get it together? I think Furman will – 24-20

Chattanooga @ VMI – Fairly certain the Mocs are a very well rounded team right now – 37-24

Mercer @ Western Carolina – I am not sure that Mercer’s D will totally shut down WCU; but they will run past WCU’s D easily – 42-27

The Citadel @ ETSU – The Citadel and ETSU have split the last 4 meetings with the visiting team winning each time…weird; but it will take a complete effort by the Bulldogs this year; granted ETSU’s schedule hasn’t been grueling yet (Massey has them at 95/128 FCS and Sagarin 214/258 Div I); but they look good…is it time for them to falter? Not yet – 35-23

The Cats
October 5th, 2021, 08:22 AM
You might want to change that to "Chatta-BEAT-OUR-ASS, and showed us mercy by not letting their freshman team beat our ass last year" or maybe just CHATTANOOGA....otherwise you look a little bitter that you didn't get to see your kids got throat stomped!!!

No thanks, I'll stick with the original: ChattaQutta. Pissing you off is reason enough to keep it.

However, say what you will about WCU football, but the team shows up for games on it's schedule, period. I don't think ChattaQuitta or WofFraud can boast that.

Mocs123
October 5th, 2021, 08:32 AM
6) VMI – I am a little perplexed; VMI basically got everyone back, but they seem a little out of sorts; I know their hot QB was gimpy this week

Part of that is that I'm convinced only 3 teams were all in during the spring, one of them being VMI, who was losing their star QB and felt like it was their best shot at winning a SoCon Championship. They did win and I thought that was awesome for them, and I was surprised how well they did after Udisnki went down. I think even in the spring they were a good, but perhaps not great team. The other team going all out for a SoCon Championship was ETSU as Randy Sanders had to prove that the dumpster fire that was 2019 for them wasn't the norm. The last team that was all in during the spring was Western Carolina, but unlike the other two teams, they were all in on getting their coach fired rather than winning a SoCon Championship. That being said, I'm convinced Bell can at least get them to be a middle of the pack SoCon team.

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Part of that is that I'm convinced only 3 teams were all in during the spring, one of them being VMI, who was losing their star QB and felt like it was their best shot at winning a SoCon Championship. They did win and I thought that was awesome for them, and I was surprised how well they did after Udisnki went down. I think even in the spring they were a good, but perhaps not great team. The other team going all out for a SoCon Championship was ETSU as Randy Sanders had to prove that the dumpster fire that was 2019 for them wasn't the norm. The last team that was all in during the spring was Western Carolina, but unlike the other two teams, they were all in on getting their coach fired rather than winning a SoCon Championship. That being said, I'm convinced Bell can at least get them to be a middle of the pack SoCon team.
Your premise is faulty & seeks to normalize / excuse bad behavior.

7 SoCon Teams were ‘all in’ this Spring.

2 teams were quitters. Chattanooga was 1 of those 2 Teams. Just own it & move on.

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Lord knows, Wofford deciding to cancel its spring season after our all conference OL broke his ankle in a meaningless game (he's still out, in a cast, in October), putting us below the Socon minimum to participate at two positions (especially when one of those positions, OL, safeguards the safety of 2 other position groups) means we're quitters and not looking at what's best for the medium-term health of our athletes (playing 20 games in a year ain't it, chief).

I would really want someone to explain to me what "bad behavior" is being shown by looking after the athlete's health on a depleted roster with <58 players on it, where you're not going to win a conference title or even develop as a team because you're pulling players out of one position in practice to play another that's depleted, when you've already lost one all-conference player, and may lose more, and deciding "hm, maybe this isn't worth it in this once in a century kind of year."

I mean sure, Citadel folks will throw some weird sloganeering about "NEVER QUIT" but some of those folks will still defend the Vietnam war (another instance where we threw 18 year olds in a situation with somewhat unclear and possibly unobtainable objectives for the sake of not giving up or whatever). That sort of talk puts the weight of failure and injury on the players, and not the administrations and coaches who put them in a position to not be successful in the first place. I also don't want to be lectured about quitting from Western Carolina, who historically quits games in the middle of second quarter.

I can't speak for Chattanooga, but this is a weird fixation that literally every other FCS conference has sort of moved past on. It's not like a funny meme, it's just old boomers whining on the internet. This is a socon (maybe just this board) specific thing.

To be completely honest with you, I can understand ETSU being mad (them getting canceled on by Wofford possibly cost them an extra W and a playoff spot, and I understand that frustration because Samford canceling in basketball had an effect on Wofford's basketball socon championships), but I think everyone else is just whining because they're historically losers and they want a reason to feel superior to the two programs (Wofford and Chatt), who with all their up and downs over the last decade, have been running the conference and have like 7 conference titles between the two of them.

Because you know what? I don't hear ETSU fans whining on twitter or here about the cancelations. Because the winner programs stopped caring in like June.

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Anyway, back to this spring: I think ETSU is the front runner right now. Mercer may be up there too, but they've screwed themselves over by only playing 10 games this year, and no FCS OOC. They could be the Furman 2018 of this season if they lose a couple games. I think finishing 8-2 puts them in the playoffs, but 7-3, they're in the bubble.

ETSU in my view only has to win 3 more games to clinch a playoff spot. There's not enough consistency among the other teams to read anything else out of the tea leaves. ETSU's next three games will be against teams that will fight for their playoff lives (Furman, Citadel, Chattanooga), and a decisive win could put them on ice.

Western is probably eliminated at this point. I think Samford and Wofford are on the cusp of elimination, and I think they'll each lose at least one more game, getting it over with (I don't know to whom). Furman, the Citadel, VMI, and Chattanooga are probably one game away from being in that "bubble but not really because they're probably eliminated" position that Wofford/Samford are in.

In short, Mercer and ETSU are the teams to beat, and If I'm going to put money down on a team to be third place, it's Chattanooga because of their defense.

FUBeAR
October 5th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Lord knows, Wofford deciding to cancel its spring season after our all conference OL broke his ankle in a meaningless game (he's still out, in a cast, in October), putting us below the Socon minimum to participate at two positions (especially when one of those positions, OL, safeguards the safety of 2 other position groups) means we're quitters and not looking at what's best for the medium-term health of our athletes (playing 20 games in a year ain't it, chief).

I would really want someone to explain to me what "bad behavior" is being shown by looking after the athlete's health on a depleted roster with <58 players on it, where you're not going to win a conference title or even develop as a team because you're pulling players out of one position in practice to play another that's depleted, when you've already lost one all-conference player, and may lose more, and deciding "hm, maybe this isn't worth it in this once in a century kind of year."

I mean sure, Citadel folks will throw some weird sloganeering about "NEVER QUIT" but some of those folks will still defend the Vietnam war (another instance where we threw 18 year olds in a situation with somewhat unclear and possibly unobtainable objectives for the sake of not giving up or whatever). That sort of talk puts the weight of failure and injury on the players, and not the administrations and coaches who put them in a position to not be successful in the first place. I also don't want to be lectured about quitting from Western Carolina, who historically quits games in the middle of second quarter.

I can't speak for Chattanooga, but this is a weird fixation that literally every other FCS conference has sort of moved past on. It's not like a funny meme, it's just old boomers whining on the internet. This is a socon (maybe just this board) specific thing.

To be completely honest with you, I can understand ETSU being mad (them getting canceled on by Wofford possibly cost them an extra W and a playoff spot, and I understand that frustration because Samford canceling in basketball had an effect on Wofford's basketball socon championships), but I think everyone else is just whining because they're historically losers and they want a reason to feel superior to the two programs (Wofford and Chatt), who with all their up and downs over the last decade, have been running the conference and have like 7 conference titles between the two of them.

Because you know what? I don't hear ETSU fans whining on twitter or here about the cancelations. Because the winner programs stopped caring in like June.
Just scanned this long epistle, but I think the gist of this is that Woffraud’s Admin, Ath Dept, Coaches, and Team have petitioned the NCAA & the SoCon to do the right thing & properly record Wofford’s FORFEITS last Spring as Forfeit Losses instead of no-contests. In addition, they have decided to provide appropriate financial compensation to the schools who lost Home games due to Wofford forfeiting.

Is that correct?

If not, FUBeAR most certainly has no desire to read a litany of ‘woe is me’ that 7 other Teams successfully dealt with and ‘did right’ by their Players, their Fans, and their Opponents/Opponents Fans.

ElCid
October 5th, 2021, 12:16 PM

That's a fairly good assessment. That's what has been rattling around in my head as well. I know we had holes all over and barely dressed enough for a couple games. Lots of opt outs, injuries, other sports, etc. It all added up to just showing up for some live reps, hoping nobody got injured, but still competing.

garland823
October 5th, 2021, 09:08 PM

What a trash assed thing to say. Oh you beat me? That's because I wasn't really trying.

It can be frustrating to be a VMI fan, but I'm glad I don't have to write paragraphs rationalizing my team quitting.

gofurman
October 6th, 2021, 01:01 AM

Furman is DEFINITELY NOT a historical loser. We have 3 National title appearances and one NATIONAL TITLE. and not just in the 80s… as people so mistakenly say.

We were participants in the national Title game in 2001 (more recently than ANY OTHER current SoCon team !) and subjectively were the best team in the nation in 04 and 05. A slip on the ice cost us a win at App in semifinal in 05 and they then won Natty. In 04 SEVERAL crazy things like fumbles , missed XP, in-game injuries cost us a win probably with our best team ever (yes, better than 80s) as we dropped a playoff game to JMU 13-14 who then won national title easily …. The jmu coach later said we were the best team they played throughout playoffs and they were happy to just get out of town quickly with a W

Mocs123
October 6th, 2021, 04:59 AM
What a trash assed thing to say. Oh you beat me? That's because I wasn't really trying.

It can be frustrating to be a VMI fan, but I'm glad I don't have to write paragraphs rationalizing my team quitting.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Everyone had their chance in the spring (2020 season or whatever you want to call it) and VMI came out victorious, and that was awesome. The Mocs and Keydets didn't play in the spring. It was supposed to be the opener, but we had ~35 players out with COVID and we weren't cleared for our first practice until the Thursday before the game was scheduled. At that point I think most people expected Wofford or Furman to run the table instead of VMI. The last time the Mocs and Keydets did play however in November 2019 the Keydets whipped our tales and Herres had what seemed like 250 yards receiving. Oh, and I can promise that we were trying - we had a shot at a playoff appearance if we'd won. Wachenheim has really done a great job at VMI turning around the culture there - we were a BAD team in 2017 but VMI was worse - what a difference a couple of years make. On top of that, I think VMI is probably the school with the biggest recruiting disadvantage in the conference, which makes his accomplishment even more amazing.

Personally I was disappointed we didn't finish the spring season - at the time we'd already beaten Wofford and Furman who were the favorites going into the season ( honestly I don't think anyone expected VMI, ETSU, and Mercer to be the best teams in the spring) and felt like we had a legitimate shot at a SoCon Championship.

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2021, 06:30 AM
No thanks, I'll stick with the original: ChattaQutta. Pissing you off is reason enough to keep it.

However, say what you will about WCU football, but the team shows up for games on it's schedule, period. I don't think ChattaQuitta or WofFraud can boast that.

It doesn't piss me off, I just find it comical. I realize that there was a time when UTC was the doormat of the SoCon and thus one of the the only shots at a Win WCU got every year...that is not the case anymore. My apologies that you were unable to watch your band perform (and your FB team get curb stomped) in the spring.

And as far as WCU "Showing up" for games....that hasn't really happened since the early 80s!!!

SU DOG
October 6th, 2021, 10:02 AM

You should visit our message board. Many posts there to show just how incensed Samford fans are.

walliver
October 6th, 2021, 10:17 AM
I don't worry about what happened in the Spring, anymore. To be honest, I never really got into the spring season. Watching TV games in empty stadia after watching a full season of FBS football didn't get me excited.

It does bother me that our coach aggressively pushed for spring football and then we didn't finish the season. I really wished we had just played a few fall games and taken the spring off. I am bothered more that two athletes quit and entered the transfer protocol in the middle of the spring season.

ElCid
October 6th, 2021, 11:00 AM
I don't worry about what happened in the Spring, anymore. To be honest, I never really got into the spring season. Watching TV games in empty stadia after watching a full season of FBS football didn't get me excited.

It does bother me that our coach aggressively pushed for spring football and then we didn't finish the season. I really wished we had just played a few fall games and taken the spring off. I am bothered more that two athletes quit and entered the transfer protocol in the middle of the spring season.

Every school faced its own particular issues or combination of issues. Graduations, family issues, injuries, etc. People sometimes forget that these are young men with a life as well. For some in the Spring, it worked out well, sometimes not. I never really got the condemnation of those who decide to either not play or discovered later it wasn't worth the effort. Sure it was fun for a while poking some teams, but big picture-wise, ...eh.

Mocs123
October 6th, 2021, 11:37 AM
You should visit our message board. Many posts there to show just how incensed Samford fans are.

My two cents on Hatcher - It could be worse - His teams will be fun to watch, score points, generally have a winning season, and occasionally make it to the playoffs. His teams will not consistently win the SoCon and be frustratingly inconsistent, however. I feel his style will allow the Bulldogs to beat just about anyone when it's clicking, but when it doesn't the defense has to spend way too much time on the field and not perform well.

I'm not suggesting that it's not a time for Hatcher to move on, but just want to bring to light how it could be worse.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Every school faced its own particular issues or combination of issues. Graduations, family issues, injuries, etc. People sometimes forget that these are young men with a life as well. For some in the Spring, it worked out well, sometimes not. I never really got the condemnation of those who decide to either not play or discovered later it wasn't worth the effort. Sure it was fun for a while poking some teams, but big picture-wise, ...eh.

This is how normal people react to the Spring. Why the rest of the FCS has literally forgotten the multiple programs that canceled games outside of the Socon. And yet, we're still hearing about it from the cellar dweller programs. It's not really funny, it's just kind of annoying at this point. Bringing it up is kind of like bringing up "the miracle on the Mountain" to Furman fans about why they suck, except there's really nothing inherently funny about what happened with the spring. Everyone's moved on.

My two cents on Hatcher - It could be worse - His teams will be fun to watch, score points, generally have a winning season, and occasionally make it to the playoffs. His teams will not consistently win the SoCon and be frustratingly inconsistent, however. I feel his style will allow the Bulldogs to beat just about anyone when it's clicking, but when it doesn't the defense has to spend way too much time on the field and not perform well.

I'm not suggesting that it's not a time for Hatcher to move on, but just want to bring to light how it could be worse.

See, this is the thing though: His teams haven't consistently won the socon. They have not won the Socon once! He's one of the most senior head coaches in the Socon (Wachenheim is the only one, by my count, who has been at his position just as long) and he has more losses to mediocre sub-.500 Socon teams while his team is in contention (allegedly) for playoff and conference positioning, than he has wins over legit playoff teams.

And if you take Wofford out of the mix, the difference between Hatcher being a mediocre .500 coach and where he is now is literally because Wofford (maybe just Josh Conklin) can't beat him. One of my biggest frustrations with Wofford over the last few years is that Samford is really not that special of a program, and yet we can't find a way to beat them, and somehow we've gotten progressively worse against them under Conklin (at least on defense).

If I were a Samford fan, I would stop supporting the program financially because Hatcher just can't get it done. They've basically mailed in football as a sideshow (I mean, their AD would love to move football to the spring for goodness sake). They have recruited more talent than anyone in the conference over the last decade, but the least amount of success relative to the top of the pack. Why bother caring if your administration doesn't care?

Mocs123
October 6th, 2021, 03:14 PM
It's really way too early to look at this but here's a loot at the possible D-1 wins for each SoCon program after last weekend

ETSU - 10

Chattanooga - 9
Furman - 9
VMI - 9

Mercer - 8 (Their schedule will hurt them if they are looking for an at large)
The Citadel - 8

Samford - 7
Wofford - 7

Western Carolina - 6

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2021, 04:44 PM
It's really way too early to look at this but here's a loot at the possible D-1 wins for each SoCon program after last weekend

Chattanooga - 9
Furman - 9
VMI - 9
ETSU -9

The Citadel - 7
Samford - 7
Wofford - 7

Western Carolina - 6
Yep - FUBeAR thinks it’s well within the realm of possibilities that Mercer could go into Johnson City @ 8-1, with their only loss to #1 FBS Alabama, to play an undefeated Top 10 FCS ETSU Team (with an FBS P5 SEC win to their credit); then, lose that game in Overtime on a missed XP…and not make the Playoffs @ 8-2/7-1 while 7 or 8 MVFC, CAA, and/or Big Sky Teams with 4 or 5 FCS losses get At-Large bids. But, if they had a win over, say, Stetson, on the (same) resume, the Bears would be a shoo-in to make the field @ 9-2/7-1.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2021, 05:06 PM
I think Mercer is in at 8-2. It'll be hard at 7-3 with the 7 d1 win requirement.

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2021, 07:50 PM
I think Mercer is in at 8-2. It'll be hard at 7-3 with the 7 d1 win requirement.
Not so sure … and … there is no “7 d1 win requirement.”

From NCAA.com 1/13/2020…

What does the Selection Committee look at in its process?

For information on selecting, seeding, and bracketing teams, the committee may consider comparative data of individual teams, including but not limited to:

Overall record
Record against Division I opponents (an institution with fewer than six Division I wins may place that team in jeopardy of not being selected)
Record against opponents from other AQ conferences
Record against Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) opponents
Head-to-head record
Record against common opponents
NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) Data
FCS Coaches Poll
Input from regional advisory committees

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2021, 09:09 PM
Not so sure … and … there is no “7 d1 win requirement.”

From NCAA.com 1/13/2020…

What does the Selection Committee look at in its process?

For information on selecting, seeding, and bracketing teams, the committee may consider comparative data of individual teams, including but not limited to:

Overall record
Record against Division I opponents (an institution with fewer than six Division I wins may place that team in jeopardy of not being selected)
Record against opponents from other AQ conferences
Record against Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) opponents
Head-to-head record
Record against common opponents
NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) Data
FCS Coaches Poll
Input from regional advisory committees

Okay, let me rephrase that, it'll be hard when you have the media and committee simping some 6-5 MVFC team that went 4-4 in conference play.

We all remember Furman 2018. That's how I see a Mercer 7-3 going. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm so jaded by the FCS playoff commitee selections.

FUBeAR
October 7th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Away
Home
Time
Prediculation

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_furman.png?width=30Furman (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wofford.png?width=30Wofford (http://woffordterriers.com/)
Let’s get this day started off right. “Right” means a Paladin win in SparkleCity. Who/What these Teams are is starting to take shape & color in FUBeAR’s brain. Watched & analyzed Wofford fairly thoroughly this week. Looked at ‘em until my eyes beiged over. That’s right, I’ve determined Wofford is the most beige Football Team I’ve ever seen. They do nothing particularly well (except avoid penalties) and they aren’t really awful anywhere either. Instead of Woffraud, FUBeAR thinks he might start calling them the “Meh Beige.” Furman’s D shouldn’t have any difficulty stifling the so-very-basic & fairly weak passing game of the Beige & though the ‘Dins will need to tackle the Beige (pretty good) ball carriers well, I just don’t see the Beige having much success in moving the ball vs. a solid Purple D. Also, FUBeAR believes we will see some fairly significant changes in FU’s O. The Mercer game was a CLEAR wake-up call in that area. Previous O issues were able to be ‘written off’ as anomalies, but if FU wants to win SoCon games, as Coach Samuel Cooke said, “…a change gonna come.” That happens Saturday.

Furman 34 - Beige 14

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_chatta_91.png?width=30Chattanooga (http://www.gomocs.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/logos/VMI_spider_four_color-2015.png?width=30VMI (https://vmikeydets.com/)
As expected, Chatt (fans, at least) came away from their WCU win thinking the Mocks have a solid air game. They don’t. But, the Coaches may fall into the same sort of whirlpool that will cause their Coaches to sink the ETSU Mountain Pirates at some point. FUBeAR sees VMI staying in this game because of that. The Keydets are hopping out of synch on both sides of the ball now…landing on their tail or one foot & just looking leaderless on O & D. So, this one is closer than it needs to be for Chatt, but the Snake eats the big Rat in the end.

Chattanooga 27 - VMI 20

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_mercer.png?width=30Mercer (http://www.mercerbears.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_wcu.png?width=30Western Carolina (https://catamountsports.com/)
3:30P
WCU went a few steps backward against G-W and, despite demonstrating some timely opportunism against Chatt, still are not close to where they need to be or where they will be in the future. With their injuries & other factors in play, they won’t pick up win #1 this week. Mercer is playing well & smart in all phases. FUBeAR loved the 3-3-3 deep/2-man on the outside WR’s they used almost every play against Samford. Loved how they stayed with their plan & did what they had to do to win. It wasn’t perfect, but it was smart & it was enough. The O-Line & other blockers (Jokers & TE’s) are jelling, learning the timing & angles of the Cronic O, and should do nothing but improve with reps as the season progresses. QB can do what he needs to do & they have the RB’s & WR’s to distribute the ball, as needed. Cats will fight on Homecoming, but they are outmanned. Also, Coach Cronic is 0-1 vs. Coach Bell and owes a little payback for a 40 point pasting in 2018, which included WCU’s current QB throwing the ball, up by 40, late in the 4th quarter.

Mercer 56 - WCU 3

https://soconsports.com/images/2019/9/23/logo_citadel.png?width=30A Citadel (http://www.citadelsports.com/)
https://soconsports.com/images/2020/1/2/etsu_logo.png?width=30ETSU (http://www.etsubucs.com/)
4:30P
Because of match-ups & ETSU’s lack of self-awareness, FUBeAR could see A Citadel pulling the upset here. But, the bellhops rolled out all their hanger carts & threw every bag they had at the Keydets last week. The O of the BoysInBabyBlue will frustrate the MountainLockedSeaCriminals and discipline is not the strength of this crew. But, they do have a propensity to commandeer their opponents’ backfields and penetration will blow up the bullpups attack with the ball ending up falling overboard a strong likelihood. Unless CIT is +3 or more in turnovers, they won’t pull this one out.

ETSU 27 - A Citadel 14

3 good ones & 1 miss last week. Prediculated scores & margins were pretty close, except in the miss. FUBeAR really underestimated how far VMI’s D has fallen since Spring. Mentioned their decline a few times previously in these threads, but it’s worse than I thought. Bellhops D (perhaps augmented by Burke HS Players) also, finally, played a decent game.

Power Ranking

1) Mercer
2) Furman
3) Chattanooga
4) ETSU
5) Samford
7) VMI
8) Wofford
9) WCU

The Cats
October 7th, 2021, 06:06 PM

You are too kind.

The Cats
October 7th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Of course the quitters don't worry about what happened in the spring. They quit. Period, end of discussion.

Make all the rationalization you want. Western played it's 4th string center against Chattanooga last Saturday. How do you get a 4th string center, when your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place centers are out with injuries? You move someone over from the O-line that's not a center by trade, and you continue to play.

kdinva
October 7th, 2021, 07:58 PM
Mercer 38; WCU 20
ETSU 34; The Citadel 23
Furman 21; Wofford 19
VMI 27; UTC 24

Mocs123
October 8th, 2021, 04:53 AM
You are too kind.

Of course the quitters don't worry about what happened in the spring. They quit. Period, end of discussion.

Make all the rationalization you want. Western played it's 4th string center against Chattanooga last Saturday. How do you get a 4th string center, when your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place centers are out with injuries? You move someone over from the O-line that's not a center by trade, and you continue to play.

You have to crawl before you can walk. I remember back pre 2009 when Rodney Allison and Dennis Wagner had UTC and WCU competing in the toilet bowl annually for last place in the SoCon. I can remember thinking just how much I wanted a .500 season. When Russ Huesman came in we immediately had a .500 season but we had to have a few of those before we were deep enough and had the athletes to be a contender in the conference. I think Bell is a good coach - I wanted UTC to hire him twice, and his hire was a bold move by WCU to show some commitment to football.

In 2019 we were down to our 4th string running back at a couple of different points and I think two different games only had one back that dressed. We had something like 8 starters out near the end of the season, and like WCU had a multiple linemen out, and had to move everyone around, including Cole Strange playing center, which he'd never done before. The injury bug sucks, but we all fall victim to it at some point.

ETSUfan1
October 8th, 2021, 11:48 AM
ETSU should be 10.

Chattanooga - 9
Furman - 9
VMI - 9
ETSU -9

The Citadel - 7
Samford - 7
Wofford - 7

Western Carolina - 6

Mocs123
October 8th, 2021, 12:01 PM
ETSU should be 10.

You are correct - I'll go back and change my original post. I generally just look at FCS wins assuming that money games are usually losses.

The Mocs have to go take care of business in Lexington first, but if they do that sets up a big game between the Bucs and Mocs the following week.

ElCid
October 8th, 2021, 02:04 PM

ETSU - 10

Chattanooga - 9
Furman - 9
VMI - 9

The Citadel - 7
Samford - 7
Wofford - 7

Western Carolina - 6

The Citadel should be 8.

Mocs123
October 8th, 2021, 02:10 PM
The Citadel should be 8.

You're right. I botched this one, didn't I!

ElCid
October 8th, 2021, 02:11 PM
You're right. I botched this one, didn't I!

Eh, easy to do. I get bug eyed sometimes crunching numbers from a computer.

Milktruck74
October 9th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Eh, easy to do. I get bug eyed sometimes crunching numbers from a computer.

Especially after you spent too much time with Mike down at Brevard Brewing!!!!

ElCid
October 9th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Looks like Furman woke up finally.

Great OT game in Lexington with VMI on the rebound.

Mercer with a comfortable lead at WCU.

Dogs with slight lead in Johnson City.

Beautiful Fall day for football!

Mocs123
October 9th, 2021, 04:10 PM
Congrats to the Keydets. You wanted it more.

ElCid
October 9th, 2021, 04:12 PM

5 FGs....crazy.

kdinva
October 9th, 2021, 04:17 PM

mainly the first 16 and final 10 minutes, the Mocs rushers as good as advertised.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Wofford is awful this year.

I stopped watching mid-way through the third quarter. Our defense is that bad. I'm not being a pessimist when I say I don't know if we will actually win a game for the rest of the year.

At some point we have to ask ourselves as a program how many games we have to lose under Conklin before we decide it's time to move on. Wofford's lost 7 straight Southern Conference games, tying a program record. We're probably the one team in the Socon who got *worse* since the Spring. We have a bottom three Southern Conference defense and we just made the second worst offense look like the best. And our offense is the worst statistically too.

I'm typically not a "fire coach after bad year" kind of fan. but honestly, Conklin inherited great players and a decent program, won two socon titles, and has pretty much squandered it. There's no guarantee he *can* turn this thing around. 1-10 would be totally unacceptable.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 9th, 2021, 06:56 PM
would like to offer my condolences to my A Citadel colleagues for their loss today.

ElCid
October 9th, 2021, 07:13 PM
would like to offer my condolences to my A Citadel colleagues for their loss today.

Yeah you all shut down our run pretty good. Didn't get much outside. Our D was much sloppier today as well. But Holmes is real good. They over pursued a few times and got bit.

Punters paradise today though. Our guy kicked it from foot to downing...97 yards. Officially an 84 harder. Ridiculous. Your guy hit a 76 yarder as well. Equally ridiculous.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2021, 08:25 PM
to be completely honest with you, I really just want to see ETSU beat KSU. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm rooting for whoever in the socon makes the playoffs. Just because Wofford has a bad year doesn't mean the socon can't succeed.

PaladinNation
October 10th, 2021, 05:53 AM
Wofford is awful this year.

I stopped watching mid-way through the third quarter. Our defense is that bad. I'm not being a pessimist when I say I don't know if we will actually win a game for the rest of the year.

At some point we have to ask ourselves as a program how many games we have to lose under Conklin before we decide it's time to move on. Wofford's lost 7 straight Southern Conference games, tying a program record. We're probably the one team in the Socon who got *worse* since the Spring. We have a bottom three Southern Conference defense and we just made the second worst offense look like the best. And our offense is the worst statistically too.

I'm typically not a "fire coach after bad year" kind of fan. but honestly, Conklin inherited great players and a decent program, won two socon titles, and has pretty much squandered it. There's no guarantee he *can* turn this thing around. 1-10 would be totally unacceptable.

I thought Wofford looked good against VMI and ETSU even though your team lost they had opportunities. Yesterday after a slow start by Furman, Furman had a dominating three quarter performance. If any team allows Wynn to start getting to the second level of a defense they're in trouble.

Jace Wilson had an impressive debut. I have no doubt the Citadel will come out and be aggressive and see if that can rattle the youngster. Jace is a cool cat - I expect another inspired performance in a rare night game at Paladin Stadium.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Folks, Wofford isn't good and I will not have anyone tell me otherwise.

To put things in perspective, from basically 2010-2019 or so, out rush defense allowed somewhere between 80-120 yards per game, pending on the season. We went years and years without allowing 100 yard rushers. This year, Wofford has a bottom-third defense, especially on run defense. We allowed VMI's running back to rack up 175 yards on the ground. We allowed Kennesaw State to have not one but two players rush for 97 yards+. Yesterday, we allowed Wynn to run for over 200 yards by himself. Kennesaw State had well over 300 yards rushing against us, but in Josh Conklin's first year, we held them to 160 yards on the ground (or so), they're lowest in the last 5 or 6 years or so.

I don't want to take away the effort from these players, but when it happens every week, it's not the running back's awesomeness or whatever the spin doctors on furman message boards are saying right now. Wofford's rush defense is just bad, and we were told last spring that the reason was because we were depleted on the DL. But now we have lots of depth and veteran linebacking corp. Something's not right here.

Now, granted, both of our defensive coordinator and defensive line coach have not had the position for longer than 7 months or so. I can be forgiving on that front. But we're probably the only team in the Socon that somehow got *measurably and noticeably worse* since the spring season in spite of data/information about personnel that suggests we should be better.

The kicker on all of this is that we've only played 1 of the top 4 offenses in the conference (ETSU), and we haven't played Mercer, Samford, or Western yet. Our defensive stats are already mediocre in the most charitable reading and they're only going to get worse. Keep in mind, Furman was giving a freshman QB his first start *and Furman had the second worst offense in the conference going into yesterday.*

All of that, and Wofford offense is the worst in the conference. Our coaching staff preaches "big plays" but we are awful at execution and consistency. Outside of those "big plays" we can't convert when we need to. We probably average like 3 yards (tops) per play outside of these anomalous chunk plays that go for 60 yards+ to the house. Perhaps that's manageable if you're committed as a coaching staff to go for it on fourth down, but Josh Conklin doesn't care to do that. We were down 3 scores, fourth and 3 from Furman's 41 with less than 4 minutes left yesterday. And we punted.

All of this points to me to a coaching staff (Idk who to blame outside of the head man) that's lax on fundamentals (which IMO under Ayers/Lang was probably superior on) and so obsessed with doing things the way they see it (Conklin doesn't go for it aggressively enough on fourth down because he systemically trusts his defense, and its cost him many football games) that these combined just make us a bad and regressing football.

I don't typically like catastrophizing after a bad season or a bad loss, but I'm serious when I say that I don't see another game Wofford can win this year. The only way it's possible is if the Citadel, Western, and Samford have awful defenses that keep us in the games at a basketball game score.

If I'm right, if you're Wofford's athletic administration, you have to ask the legitimate question: how long do you keep this going and cause irreparable harm to our program. The line between an option offense making as solid as a program and being 1-10 isn't a fine line. This isn't about the option. This is about competent coaching, and I don't really see it right now.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 10th, 2021, 02:10 PM
All of this points to me to a coaching staff (Idk who to blame outside of the head man) that's lax on fundamentals (which IMO under Ayers/Lang was probably superior on) and so obsessed with doing things the way they see it (Conklin doesn't go for it aggressively enough on fourth down because he systemically trusts his defense, and its cost him many football games) that these combined just make us a bad and regressing football.

I don't typically like catastrophizing after a bad season or a bad loss, but I'm serious when I say that I don't see another game Wofford can win this year. The only way it's possible is if the Citadel, Western, and Samford have awful defenses that keep us in the games at a basketball game score.

If I'm right, if you're Wofford's athletic administration, you have to ask the legitimate question: how long do you keep this going and cause irreparable harm to our program. The line between an option offense making as solid as a program and being 1-10 isn't a fine line. This isn't about the option. This is about competent coaching, and I don't really see it right now.

Sounds to me you're clamoring for a regime change at Wofford. I don't blame you one bit. Conklin was a Derek Dummy disciple and he learned from the best when it comes to inheriting a decent program and then wipe his keester with it. Western might give you the best chance but then again Kerwin Bell may have his team playing your team with a chip the size of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on their shoulders. Speaking of chip on one's shoulder, ETSU has the team formerly known as ChattaQuitta next. It is my hope that Randy Sanders has the Bucs playing this week with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 10th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Punters paradise today though. Our guy kicked it from foot to downing...97 yards. Officially an 84 harder. Ridiculous. Your guy hit a 76 yarder as well. Equally ridiculous.

Wonder if an NFL scout was there, I'm pretty sure either of our punters could get a good solid look when it's time.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Sounds to me you're clamoring for a regime change at Wofford. I don't blame you one bit. Conklin was a Derek Dummy disciple and he learned from the best when it comes to inheriting a decent program and then wipe his keester with it. Western might give you the best chance but then again Kerwin Bell may have his team playing your team with a chip the size of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on their shoulders. Speaking of chip on one's shoulder, ETSU has the team formerly known as ChattaQuitta next. It is my hope that Randy Sanders has the Bucs playing this week with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders

I don't know if this is a hot take by me but I feel fine about literally every coach but Conklin. We are a very young coaching staff and this is a work-in-progress team. We may go 0-8 in conference, but we'll be the "best" 0-8 Socon team ever IMO. Our offense and defense are a year away because we're still breaking in new coordinators. But I just don't have any confident in the leadership under Josh Conklin.

I don't believe in advocating *anyone* lose their job, and I won't advocate for Conklin and I definitely won't for our coaching staff (especially given their youth and inexperience). But still, we shouldn't be as bad as we are if Conklin is as good of a coach he thinks he is. It sounds over the top and mean, but I really do think he has a snake oil salesman quality: he says all the right things to the right people, but when you look at the results of what he's preaching, there's clearly something off about what he's selling. The fact that he has constantly lobbied for other jobs or interviewed with them outright has poisoned himself with lots of fans (remember, there are few of us numerically), and I'm pretty sure the same is true of players and player parents.

As I've said before, basically: if you're going to sell someone on a 2-3 year plan, you have to actually sell it and not be clearly looking to get out ASAP.

Again, it's not an option vs non-option thing. It's something much deeper, or maybe even more simpler than that. Basic fundamentals and focus at the top.

walliver
October 11th, 2021, 09:34 AM
Wofford is having a very frustrating year, and I can't figure out the coaching strategy. If not for a stupid penalty on the defense on a fourth and 5 yards and 1 foot during Furman's last first half drive, we would have lead 17-14 at the half. We had a runner playing very well who played very little because he somehow didn't fit into the coaching staff's "offensive scheme". When we fell behind by a few scores in the second half, we continued to snap the ball at the last second as if the goal was to run out the clock. It seems like the coaching staff is treating the whole season like a scrimmage. At the end of the game, we weren't playing to win, but didn't let any of the backup QB's take a snap. Apparently, our other "starting QB" is out for the rest of the season, so letting somebody take a snap or two would seem advisable (as far as a know, the 5 game rule for redshirts is still in effect).

Despite all that, we had chances to win against VMI and ETSU, we beat Elon, and played a very good first quarter against Furman. And it was depressing at the start of the last game to see how many walking wounded were walking to the sidelines.

Reign of Terrier
October 11th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Just imagine: You're down 3 scores in the fourth quarter. There's 4 minutes left. It's 4th down, 3 yards to go, and you're at your opponents 41. What do you do?

Wofford punted against Furman. You don't have to be the PC head coach to see that's just a loser mindset. Yeah, you're probably not going to win. But if you don't get it, it's very likely Furman tries to run out the clock.

BearDownMU
October 11th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Yeah you all shut down our run pretty good. Didn't get much outside. Our D was much sloppier today as well. But Holmes is real good. They over pursued a few times and got bit.

Speaking of kicking, I just realized yesterday that our kicker hit a 50 and a 51 yarder on Saturday, one of them in a tie ball game in the 4th quarter. I honestly don't ever remember having the ball on the 35 and thinking "Oh, we can kick it from here if we don't get a first down." lol