PDA

View Full Version : Montana @ EWU

100%GRIZ
October 2nd, 2021, 10:22 AM
Instant Classic? Tonight Sat. 10/2 ESPN2 - 10:30 EST.

caribbeanhen
October 2nd, 2021, 10:29 AM
Montana wins!

Put the mobile and talented Barriere on his Darriere and watch the E Wash defense collapse as game goes on

ursus arctos horribilis
October 2nd, 2021, 02:44 PM
Montana wins!

Put the mobile and talented Barriere on his Darriere and watch the E Wash defense collapse as game goes on

Our offense is not as strong...yet as it may look due to our d playing well and the special teams. EWU might be able to give our offense enough trouble to negate an advantage on D that we appear to have.

I hope you are correct but EWU might be that challenge early on that can exploit a weakness or two on the Griz.

Barriere will just keep coming at you of course and that dude rings the bell even against really good defense. Not comfortable that this one will go our way yeat.

uofmman1122
October 2nd, 2021, 03:05 PM
I'm very nervous about this game, certainly more so than a lot of other Griz fans.

We're gonna have to play a much better game on offense than we've shown so far this year.

Hope my fears are unfounded and we pound them, though. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 2nd, 2021, 03:52 PM
I'm very nervous about this game, certainly more so than a lot of other Griz fans.

We're gonna have to play a much better game on offense than we've shown so far this year.

Hope my fears are unfounded and we pound them, though. xthumbsupx

Our offense would be a better fit for this game if we have the run...as with any game really. It will help with D adjustments, a little rest, etc. but also the same ol' thing of helping wear down their D a bit. We need at least our 2,3, and 4 RB's in this game I think. We might have some trouble if we are going with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th backs as we have been.

I'm with you though obviously. There are less ways to lose than previously (last decade) but there are still a lot of ways to be damaged when you run into a Barriere.

uofmman1122
October 2nd, 2021, 05:54 PM
Our offense would be a better fit for this game if we have the run...as with any game really. It will help with D adjustments, a little rest, etc. but also the same ol' thing of helping wear down their D a bit. We need at least our 2,3, and 4 RB's in this game I think. We might have some trouble if we are going with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th backs as we have been.

I'm with you though obviously. There are less ways to lose than previously (last decade) but there are still a lot of ways to be damaged when you run into a Barriere.
Well, Counts and Knight are still recovering from a broken ankle/torn ACL, respectively, so we're gonna have to go with 3-5 for the foreseeable future.

If we had Marcus Knight, I would feel so much better about this game.

100%GRIZ
October 2nd, 2021, 08:32 PM
Well, Counts and Knight are still recovering from a broken ankle/torn ACL, respectively, so we're gonna have to go with 3-5 for the foreseeable future.

If we had Marcus Knight, I would feel so much better about this game.

Counts? Blast from the past!!!!!

nevadagriz
October 2nd, 2021, 08:55 PM
I have a good feeling about tonight. No the Griz will not hold them scoreless no it will not be an easy victory yes the offense could struggle. However I just have that feeling like the first time Hauck was here , That feeling the griz can win any game and that these players won't let each other or their coach down. We saw it against Washington.

Bison56
October 2nd, 2021, 09:41 PM
EW opening drive 8 plays 85 yards for 6.
EW 7
UM 0
12:58 1st

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2021, 09:44 PM
On the plane home.

Can confirm that when at 35,000 feet that the Inferno is still absolutely hideous.

Bison56
October 2nd, 2021, 09:47 PM
On the plane home.

Can confirm that when at 35,000 feet that the Inferno is still absolutely hideous.

Ray Charles hated it too.

HootyHoo
October 2nd, 2021, 10:11 PM
The EWU D is laying the boom tonight.

Daytripper
October 2nd, 2021, 10:19 PM
The EWU D is laying the boom tonight.

Both teams are playing good defense. EWU is the surprise.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2021, 10:23 PM
Seriously you EWU zips. Get rid of that field. You can’t even see the ball when it is thrown. God that field sucks

HootyHoo
October 2nd, 2021, 10:37 PM
Saucy window dressing at the goal line for the Griz.

uofmman1122
October 2nd, 2021, 11:20 PM
Counts? Blast from the past!!!!!
xoopsx

Ostmo, my bad lol

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2021, 12:40 AM
This game is really starting to get away from Montana...

31-21 EWU 9:42 4Q

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2021, 12:47 AM
Montana with a 99 yard return.

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2021, 12:47 AM
This game is really starting to get away from Montana...

31-21 EWU 9:42 4Q

KO TD helps

But now Montana has to throw their defense right back out there.

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2021, 12:51 AM
That’s a big stop. Now the Griz need a long scoring drive.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2021, 12:56 AM
Wow! What a response by the 'Griz!

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 12:57 AM
Our QB is not great

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2021, 01:09 AM
Wow, Humphry just took a massive hit...

- - - Updated - - -

Our QB is not great

How's the backup? You might not see Humphry for a while...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2021, 01:13 AM
Here we go! One play from the 10 or so!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2021, 01:16 AM
EWU wins 34-28!

Helluva game! Glad I stayed up on the East Coast!

The Boogie Down
October 3rd, 2021, 01:19 AM
Would been a tough catch but #11 had both hands on it!

putter
October 3rd, 2021, 01:23 AM
This loss is on the Griz O.

- - - Updated - - -

This loss is on the Griz O.

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 01:31 AM
Wow, Humphry just took a massive hit...

- - - Updated - - -

How's the backup? You might not see Humphry for a while...
If you ask our fans, he's better than Cam, but I think he was the backup for a reason.

What an incredibly frustrating way to lose.

Our defense is pretty damn good, but our offense is straight dog **** this year, and now half of our biggest contributors are hurt.

The luster is coming off this season fast.

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2021, 01:35 AM
Great game. I hope Cam is alright. Woulda been a bit better if he could of finished the game. Hopefully he can get back on the field next week.

Two pretty solid teams.

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2021, 01:38 AM
If you ask our fans, he's better than Cam, but I think he was the backup for a reason.

Our defense is pretty damn good, but our offense is straight dog **** this year, and now half of our biggest contributors are hurt.

Cam seems to be a good game manager. Not a great arm. But the guy who came in after the injury looked pretty lost. Tough spot for him but he certainly didn’t look better at all.

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 01:50 AM
Cam seems to be a good game manager. Not a great arm. But the guy who came in after the injury looked pretty lost. Tough spot for him but he certainly didn’t look better at all.
I think Brown has a better arm and is a little more decisive when he goes to throw it, but his biggest problem was making mistakes, which Cam (until he underthrew Akem TWICE) was better at limiting.

The biggest issue for us is that our O-Line has been pushed around 2 weeks in a row by defenses that should not be able to do that.

I don't understand how we can bully UW the entire second half of that game, but then get pushed back by 3 and 4-man rushes from EWU and Cal Poly.

With a half-decent offense, we'd likely have won this one going away. Credit to EWU, though, their D came to play tonight.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 01:51 AM

I hate to be this guy as I've argued against this POS a lot...but he is the weakness is this offense to me. He throws behind a lot. I know we've won with him but we have not won due to him. We've won in spite of him. I don't know jack f'n **** compared to the coaches but I texted a MT buddy and an EWU pal that if we had treated Kris Brown like EWU had treated EB from the get go, then I think we would end up with a Gage Gabrud type of player...

If it were in his hands you would bet on him to win it every time. Right now, I don't give a coin flips chance for our guy to win it when it counts and I feel like a ****head for even saying that.

Our D is so ****ing good for how much time and how many plays they have to defend it is just a shame.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 01:57 AM

With very little game experience you will see that guy become smooth as silk out there. I guarantee it.

Don't bet the farm on it brother but I'm telling you this young man is deceptively quick, nimble, and a really strong arm from spring stuff that I saw. I was pretty amazed at his capability at such a young age. I really did not think Cam would start.

We are not in trouble no matter which plays if you ask me. It just means we have to manufacture our points elsewhere but that is so much less reliable to count on the special teams and D to do the lifting.

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 02:00 AM
I hate to be this guy as I've argued against this POS a lot...but he is the weakness is this offense to me. He throws behind a lot. I know we've won with him but we have not won due to him. We've won in spite of him. I don't know jack f'n **** compared to the coaches but I texted a MT buddy and an EWU pal that if we had treated Kris Brown like EWU had treated EB from the get go, then I think we would end up with a Gage Gabrud type of player...

If it were in his hands you would bet on him to win it every time. Right now, I don't give a coin flips chance for our guy to win it when it counts and I feel like a ****head for even saying that.

Our D is so ****ing good for how much time and how many plays they have to defend it is just a shame.
Cam was a problem in this game, for sure, and has been all season. His ceiling is incredibly small, but I think that just goes to show how much growth Brown needs. Thankfully, our schedule isn't nearly as challenging going forward, which I hope gets him the reps he needs to really reach his potential.

From the looks of the injury, I think the Kris Brown era at Montana has just begun, for better or worse.

Monster ceiling on Brown, though. He could rewrite our record books if he figures it all out.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 02:00 AM
**** man, more important than any of that is that I hope that both Limu and Cam are fine going forward. Neither injury looked particularly good.

mvemjsunpx
October 3rd, 2021, 02:05 AM
I hate to be this guy as I've argued against this POS a lot...but he is the weakness is this offense to me. He throws behind a lot. I know we've won with him but we have not won due to him. We've won in spite of him. I don't know jack f'n **** compared to the coaches but I texted a MT buddy and an EWU pal that if we had treated Kris Brown like EWU had teated EB frp, tje get gp then I think we would end up with a Gage Gabrud type of player...

The Griz QB situation this year, without injury factored in, is probably the worst it's been since 2012.

MTfan4life
October 3rd, 2021, 02:10 AM
The Griz QB situation this year, without injury factored in, is probably the worst it's been since 2012.

Where is Shay Smithwick-Hann when you need him!?!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 02:12 AM

Okay, well I haven't seen a bunch on that so I'm feeling better about my assessment cuz it sucks being this sort of naysayer.

I just can not feel any Griz magic like the old days at this point. It isn't there outside of everything except the main cog for the offense, which means the whole offense. In any close game, we will be no better than 30% chance to win on teh road and 50/50 at home.

...and in spite of all that I still think we are a semi final team as is.

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 02:18 AM
Okay, well I haven't seen a bunch on that so I'm feeling better about my assessment cuz it sucks being this sort of naysayer.

I just can not feel any Griz magic like the old days at this point. It isn't there outside of everything except the main cog for the offense, which means the whole offense. In any close game, we will be no better than 30% chance to win on teh road and 50/50 at home.

QB was definitely gonna be the weak point of our team this year, even before Knight, Ostmo, and now Sulser got hurt.

But I'm telling you it's only due to Brown's inexperience. I think he's gonna turn some heads once he figures it out (which will hopefully happen this season and not next year).

mvemjsunpx
October 3rd, 2021, 02:20 AM

That could be. I mean, I don't think UM is a serious national-title contender this year, but the schedule is pretty advantageous from this point on. They could end up being the most unimpressive 10-1 Big Sky team ever. xlolx

Seriously, though, this year's Griz remind me a lot of the 2006 Griz (i.e., the Josh Swogger year). That team went 10-1 and made the semis with a mediocre offense.

uofmman1122
October 3rd, 2021, 02:23 AM
That could be. I mean, I don't think UM is a serious national-title contender this year, but the schedule is pretty advantageous from this point on. They could end up being the most unimpressive 10-1 Big Sky team ever. xlolx

Seriously, though, this year's Griz remind me a lot of the 2006 Griz (i.e., the Josh Swogger year). That team went 10-1 and made the semis with a mediocre offense.
Yeah, good comparison.

Defense carrying us with our top RB out for the season and an extremely up and down, underperforming QB.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 02:25 AM
QB was definitely gonna be the weak point of our team this year, even before Knight, Ostmo, and now Sulser got hurt.

But I'm telling you it's only due to Brown's inexperience. I think he's gonna turn some heads once he figures it out (which will hopefully happen this season and not next year).

Brother you ain't telling me anything about that kid that I have not been saying since spring. He's the future, I thought he was the very near future in Week 1. He needs one f'n 1/2 of real game time experience and his learning curve at that point is pretty much straight up.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 02:28 AM

OOF, UMass, I agree but I don't think it ends up better than Swogger style by that time. If it does, good enough. Better than we've been in a long f'n time. xlolx

Being that ****ty would be a massive improvement.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2021, 07:34 AM
Watched some of this game before calling it a day.

IMO, as long as Berriere stays healthy, EWU is a NC contender. 26/46 422 yards. EWU as a team had 538 total yards against the Montana defense. EWU's defense is ave at best but that offense is pretty darn good.

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2021, 07:41 AM
Our offense is not as strong...yet as it may look due to our d playing well and the special teams. EWU might be able to give our offense enough trouble to negate an advantage on D that we appear to have.

I hope you are correct but EWU might be that challenge early on that can exploit a weakness or two on the Griz.

Barriere will just keep coming at you of course and that dude rings the bell even against really good defense. Not comfortable that this one will go our way yeat.

I’m afraid I was not correct Ursus

saw the early part of game and when Montana tied it at 7-7 I thought they were taking control of the game and E Wash defense was not going to hold up

I’ll watch rest of game this week

Montana not falling very far in poll

wapiti
October 3rd, 2021, 08:56 AM
Does this mean EWU is the best football team in the state of Washington this season???

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2021, 09:03 AM
.....GRIZZWOLD'S WERE IN CONTROL.....1AM EST...........WHEN AH CASHED OUT..............AN' AH HAD 'EM TA COVER....DUH 3.5......AGS POOL......xsighxxsighxxsighx.............BRAWK!

Laker
October 3rd, 2021, 09:11 AM
Watched some of this game before calling it a day.

IMO, as long as Berriere stays healthy, EWU is a NC contender. 26/46 422 yards. EWU as a team had 538 total yards against the Montana defense. EWU's defense is ave at best but that offense is pretty darn good.

I watched until half. I got soaked at the MSU=Mankato homecoming and was falling asleep in the chair. I'm old.

Roamingriz
October 3rd, 2021, 09:45 AM
I haven't been able to buy into Humphrey and in the back of mind I've always looked for the plays that validated that viewpoint. And that isn't fair. But they have happened. I think Kris Brown has a higher ceiling, and honestly cam has always had a low floor low ceiling. "Game manager". No thanks

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2021, 03:36 PM
I’m afraid I was not correct Ursus

saw the early part of game and when Montana tied it at 7-7 I thought they were taking control of the game and E Wash defense was not going to hold up

I’ll watch rest of game this week

Montana not falling very far in poll

Well when you watch the rest of it I think it's gonna seem like I made that post after the game instead of prior to it. It is exciting as it comes down to the very last play and very last second.

acbearkat
October 3rd, 2021, 04:34 PM
Montana won’t drop far in the polls, nor should they. I watched most of the first three quarters of the game, and I watched most of the rest of it on YouTube. It was an great game with two really good teams going at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2021, 05:03 PM
I will say I expecting alot more from Montana than I saw. The buzz around them was insane, like national championship buzz. I didn't see it. Their O looked pedestrian vs a bad defense.

Maybe it was a bad week, that happens on the road.

Roamingriz
October 3rd, 2021, 06:23 PM
Gotta punch it up for good measure too! 🥴, that ewu d figured something out.... or something

AmsterBison
October 3rd, 2021, 07:10 PM
I'm going to watch the whole thing this week, but, holy cow, there is some serious speed on display by both teams in the bits I did see. The thing that didn't impress me was the way RBs were taken down with weak tackles - I'm not even sure you could call them arm tackles because it was more like hand tackles.

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2021, 08:27 PM
Well when you watch the rest of it I think it's gonna seem like I made that post after the game instead of prior to it. It is exciting as it comes down to the very last play and very last second.

gotta hand it to you, you had this game wired before kickoff

sometimes though an Outtah towner will post a few thoughts hoping the homeboys will post how they see it

kalm
October 4th, 2021, 09:17 AM
I will say I expecting alot more from Montana than I saw. The buzz around them was insane, like national championship buzz. I didn't see it. Their O looked pedestrian vs a bad defense.

Maybe it was a bad week, that happens on the road.

It’s not a “bad defense” and Montana scored enough points to win most games.

clenz
October 4th, 2021, 10:20 AM

If any team not named EWU was giving up roughly 400 yards per game as a defense and 31 points, on a schedule including a D2, it would be seen as a bad defense.

I’m on a phone at my ENT so my access to deeper stat digging is low but….it’s not a good defense.

Maybe in the big picture of the Big Sky, a conference not exactly known for playing stellar defense, it’s good. However, based on that stats I have quick access too it is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
October 4th, 2021, 10:36 AM

Western Illinois put up 643 yard and averaged 8.0 yards per play. That is bad by any definition.

kalm
October 4th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Western Illinois put up 643 yard and averaged 8.0 yards per play. That is bad by any definition.

Yes they did. It was a weird game. We had 4 scoring drives under a minute in the first half and a couple others that were less than 3. We got gassed and we’re cramping up due to the heat. Still shouldn’t have allowed that many points but it was a bit of an anomaly.

I didn’t say we were a good defense. But not bad and I’m guessing when it’s all settled we’ll be average to slightly above with points allowed in the mid 20’s and ypg under 400. And that will be against a top 20 schedule.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2021, 11:00 AM
gotta hand it to you, you had this game wired before kickoff

sometimes though an Outtah towner will post a few thoughts hoping the homeboys will post how they see it

Definitely my friend.

Libertine
October 4th, 2021, 11:19 AM
I didn’t say we were a good defense. But not bad and I’m guessing when it’s all settled we’ll be average ...

As things stand today, this is statistically correct.

In terms of yardage, EWU gave up 339 to UNLV, 234 to D2 Central Washington, 643 to WIU, 340 to SUU and 358 to Montana. It's a limited sample size but the national average for FCS Total Defense is right at 375 ypg and EWU is currently sitting at 382.6 ypg even with the WIU outlier.

In terms of points, EWU has given up 33, 14, 56, 21 and 28 points. The national average for FCS Scoring Defense is 27.8 ppg and EWU is currently giving up 30.4. EWU's defense may not be their strength but it's been good enough.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22/p2

kalm
October 4th, 2021, 11:44 AM

In terms of yardage, EWU gave up 339 to UNLV, 234 to D2 Central Washington, 643 to WIU, 340 to SUU and 358 to Montana. It's a limited sample size but the national average for FCS Total Defense is right at 375 ypg and EWU is currently sitting at 382.6 ypg even with the WIU outlier.

In terms of points, EWU has given up 33, 14, 56, 21 and 28 points. The national average for FCS Scoring Defense is 27.8 ppg and EWU is currently giving up 30.4. EWU's defense may not be their strength but it's been good enough.

Thank you.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2021, 05:18 PM

On top of that, they get stops more often than not when they are needed. Too early to tell if that is by chance or by design but it is happening.