PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen USA Today's College Football Preview?

Marcus Garvey
August 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I picked up a free copy of the rag in the hotel lobby this morning as I was checking out.
Anyway, in their college football preview, they have all the "I-AA" and "I-A" schedules. In fact, that's exactly how they're labeled. In addition, the Division I FCS preview section is labeled "Divison I-AA"

Okay gentlemen, let the whining begin! :D

Bearkatpresident
August 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I already called thier corrections office about it

Retro
August 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I bought one this morning and was going to read it tonight.. Not surprised though... I think it's going to be hard for people use the new name/abbreviation for a while, especially those who don't following it as we do.. Most writers only care about 1 thing, the BCS!xrolleyesx

jonmac
August 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Why have we "I-AA"/FCS fans been so quick and easy to buy into the NCAA's change of nomenclature anyway. It really doesn't matter what we're called because we will always be "a little lower" than the big boys. Coach Moore made a comment in an article that I saw today that he still uses I-AA because he feels like he confuses people when he use FCS. It's as if the almighty NCAA "fixed" something that wasn't broken. Just MHO and we I-AA/FCS folks are kind of rebels anyway so it doesn't bother me that we don't all blindly follow the NCAA.

aust42
August 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I did the same thing checking out of my hotel and saw the 1AA label in the special college football preview section. If I recall the article did refer to FCS in the brief write up. I assume they did this on purpose in order to not confuse the masses. I still use 1AA in conversations b/c it's just too confusing to explain it to someone who does not follow FCS football. Personally I prefer 1AA anyway. I believe there have been previous threads on the topic.

McTailGator
August 24th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Why have we "I-AA"/FCS fans been so quick and easy to buy into the NCAA's change of nomenclature anyway. It really doesn't matter what we're called because we will always be "a little lower" than the big boys. Coach Moore made a comment in an article that I saw today that he still uses I-AA because he feels like he confuses people when he use FCS. It's as if the almighty NCAA "fixed" something that wasn't broken. Just MHO and we I-AA/FCS folks are kind of rebels anyway so it doesn't bother me that we don't all blindly follow the NCAA.

It does matter.

Down here in the south, where we compete against the crappy ass SunBelch and CUSA for baseball, basketball, and even football players, you have coaches going into homes of single moms who don't know football from golf, and telling Momma, they don't want their baby boy playing anything less than Division I ball. That is why Greg Stankey (former SLC comish) started the drive to get rid of the A's.

I personnally think we should not even have FBS and FCS.

IT SHOULS ALL JUST BE DIVISION I.

If you want to complete in the playoffs, then you should limit your scholarships.

Screw the stats. That is just for the press anyway. Who cares about them.

Marcus Garvey
August 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Dennis Dodd at Sportsline.com has been ridiculing the name change since it was announced. I'm in complete agreement with him.

jonmac
August 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
That kinda makes my point Gator. We exchanged 2 letters for 3 that aren't even the same. Yeah, that clears the mud. I'm sure those single moms will completely understand now. Coach says, "you see ma'am there are 2 subdivisions of division I, one subdivision plays bowl games and those schools get very rich and then at the end of it all the media and some other guys, we don't really know who they are, choose who is the best team. The other subdivision has a playoff of the best teams from different conferences and they play each week until one is left and that team is the National Champion, now this isn't a perfect system but it seems to work. Do you understand how it works, ma'am?" Single mom responds, "Well, not really, now what color did you say your uniforms are?"

I do, however, agree with you about all being just D-I but as long as we're different there is a difference. How's that for a Yogi Bera moment.xlolx Anyway, we can't play for 2 different NC's and all be that same division.

Model Citizen
August 24th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Dennis Dodd at Sportsline.com has been ridiculing the name change since it was announced. I'm in complete agreement with him.

We could have a mini-media revolt, boys. 'Kind of like the Denver Post sticking to "Mile High Stadium."

DaveK
August 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Great post!!! Positive rep. points coming your way. xthumbsupx

jonmac
August 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Sounds good to me.

jonmac
August 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Sounds good to me.

That was directed to Model Citizen, but thanks a bunch for the points.xthumbsupx