PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer: Expansion or Shrinkage?

Baron Sardonicus
September 27th, 2021, 08:31 PM
OVC realignment continues tomorrow with the announcement at Belmont.

NY Crusader 2010
September 27th, 2021, 08:46 PM
Whose left for the OVC to go after in all sports?

Northern Kentucky?
SIU-Edwardsville (if they're not in already)
Western Illinois -- as listed above?
Chicago State?

taper
September 27th, 2021, 08:49 PM
PFL has 11 members, they're among the safest of the conferences in the next few years.

Laker
September 27th, 2021, 08:52 PM
11 current members. I'd say shrinkage.

Baron Sardonicus
September 27th, 2021, 09:00 PM
12 members has been their ideal number, because it is more conducive to regional scheduling. Only had 12 for one season...

I would guess that the OVC will add as many as three new members. Lipscomb and a D-II moveup may be in the mix

Laker
September 27th, 2021, 09:12 PM
12 members has been their ideal number, because it is more conducive to regional scheduling. Only had 12 for one season...

I would guess that the OVC will add as many as three new members. Lipscomb and a D-II moveup may be in the mix

D2 Southern Indiana is looking at going D1. The would be a good fit in the OVC. They were talking about that before Bellarmine did. The problem is- they don't have football.

University of Southern Indiana to explore moving to Division I athletics (courierpress.com) (https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/2021/09/27/university-southern-indiana-explore-moving-division-athletics/5889669001/?fbclid=IwAR28XvBNDAlDJWdc60SlWi_UOvvKNaQmovj5L4nF IkxsxYbm3DAazgkO2j8)

JacksFan40
September 27th, 2021, 09:18 PM
12 seems like a perfect number for the PFL. So maybe Augustana tries for that. Problem is I’m not sure if the Summit will expand for them, that’d put it at 11 assuming WIU stays. If WIU leaves for the OVC I could see it. But I also think the Summit wants Northern Colorado so that’ll be interesting.

Libertine
September 27th, 2021, 10:05 PM
Lipscomb to the OVC would make sense for both sides. On the one hand, it would keep the OVC in the Nashville market, despite Belmont's departure. For the school, men's basketball is their premier sport and they've been pretty good at it but whatever dominance they had in the ASUN went away with the additions of Bellarmine and Liberty.

However, adding Lipscomb (whether or not they add So Indy) would pretty much cement the OVC as a basketball conference which I'm not sure that they can afford to do.

DFW HOYA
September 27th, 2021, 10:05 PM
Rare is the thread asking about the Pioneer lineup.

MUfan
October 2nd, 2021, 05:03 AM
When does Stetson leave the PFL?

ST_Lawson
October 2nd, 2021, 09:01 AM
When does Stetson leave the PFL?

I can't remember seeing anything official about that. Last I've heard, Stetson is still going to play football in the Pioneer League, despite being ASUN in their other sports.

dgtw
October 2nd, 2021, 10:07 AM
Whose left for the OVC to go after in all sports?

Northern Kentucky?
SIU-Edwardsville (if they're not in already)
Western Illinois -- as listed above?
Chicago State?

SIUE is a full member other than not sponsoring football. I have never heard anything regarding them starting a program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk