PDA

View Full Version : Lamar

acbearkat
September 27th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Could this team be the worst team in the FCS? They don't look any better than they did in the spring, and were blown out at home 56-0 by Abilene Christian Saturday. That team is horrible. Why on earth when you are located in one of the most talent rich regions in the state of Texas, with state powerhouses West Orange Stark and Port-Neches Groves (especially WOS) nearby and the Houston area just to the west, do you hire a head coach who runs the triple option? I don't see another game Lamar has on their schedule they can win. I would not be surprised to see Lamar making a head coaching change after the season, and that would be best. The Cardinals need to dump the triple option, and go get a coach who has a offensive style recruits want to play in. The triple option isn't it.

Puddin Tane, the resident Lamar fan on this board, is no fan of the triple option.

Libertine
September 27th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Wait! They're running the triple?! In east Texas?! Was this like a legit decision or was it more like somebody dared them to do it and, now, they have no choice?

I mean, I would understand if they were in Lubbock, El Paso or Alpine on the desert side of the state and you have trouble getting recruits to find you on a map let alone come visit. But, in Beaumont?! Their recruiting visits must feel like an adult trying to show off their shiny cool car to the kids in the neighborhood but it's a 2013 Kia Sedona.

JacksFan40
September 27th, 2021, 10:09 AM
The triple option is acceptable for the service academies only, due to their disadvantage at recruiting compared to the rest. Also usually the only successful triple option coaches come from the Paul Johnson coaching tree, not sure of Lamar’s coach worked under him.
Also to be fair Lamar did beat Northern Colorado so they’re far from the worst in the FCS.

Bisonator
September 27th, 2021, 10:49 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/d1/81/14d18164ec540ef98653356bceb2e973.gif

Rjones61
September 27th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Could this team be the worst team in the FCS? They don't look any better than they did in the spring, and were blown out at home 56-0 by Abilene Christian Saturday. That team is horrible. Why on earth when you are located in one of the most talent rich regions in the state of Texas, with state powerhouses West Orange Stark and Port-Neches Groves (especially WOS) nearby and the Houston area just to the west, do you hire a head coach who runs the triple option? I don't see another game Lamar has on their schedule they can win. I would not be surprised to see Lamar making a head coaching change after the season, and that would be best. The Cardinals need to dump the triple option, and go get a coach who has a offensive style recruits want to play in. The triple option isn't it.

Puddin Tane, the resident Lamar fan on this board, is no fan of the triple option.

Texas is talent rich, but saturated with universities. That's the reason SHSU has to rely so heavily on transfers. Texas has 12 FBS schools and like, what 10 FCS schools for their 21 million population. Compare that with Washington which has 7 million population and 2 FBS schools and 1 FCS school.

Somebody is going to take the hit somewhere.

JSUSoutherner
September 27th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Could this team be the worst team in the FCS?

We will find out for sure on November 13th.

TheRevSFA
September 27th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Lamar beat NoCo, who beat NAU, who beat Arizona...so....

Libertine
September 27th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Lamar beat NoCo, who beat NAU, who beat Arizona...so....

There you go. Arizona is the worst team in FCS.

wapiti
September 27th, 2021, 11:53 AM
There you go. Arizona is the worst team in FCS.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

acbearkat
September 27th, 2021, 12:27 PM
On Saturday, the Cardinals only managed 136 yards of offense, 38 yards passing, and a paltry 98 yards rushing on 42 attempts, and gave up 461 yards and 56 points. That game in Huntsville will get ugly and ugly fast for Lamar.

SpreadTheWord
September 27th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Lamar would beat Houston Baptist IMO.

clenz
September 27th, 2021, 12:53 PM
The PFL exists. The OVC exists

Do people forget that?

CHIP72
September 27th, 2021, 01:01 PM
The PFL exists. The OVC exists

Do people forget that?

I haven't forgotten Lehigh exists. Surely they are worse than Lamar this season.

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2021, 01:24 PM
I'm sure it doesn't help that some annoying school up north keeps stealing many of their better players.

Daytripper
September 27th, 2021, 01:26 PM
For worst FCS team I nominate Mississippi Valley State.

acbearkat
September 27th, 2021, 01:58 PM
We will find out for sure on November 13th.

Jacksonville State could have 10 turnovers in that game with 15 penalties and still win by 40 points over Lamar. I'm being both serious and facetious and at the same time. In the spring, in Beaumont, we had four turnovers and beat Lamar 62-7, as they also had four turnovers. Without the four turnovers, we probably score at least 80. It was an ugly game to watch. I watched Lamar play my first year at Sam (2011) and we beat them 66-0. Granted, they had just brought back football, so they were really bad.

ElCid
September 27th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Texas is talent rich, but saturated with universities. That's the reason SHSU has to rely so heavily on transfers. Texas has 12 FBS schools and like, what 10 FCS schools for their 21 million population. Compare that with Washington which has 7 million population and 2 FBS schools and 1 FCS school.

Somebody is going to take the hit somewhere.

This is a good point, even though schools can recruit elsewhere. Most schools are heavy with in-state students. SC has 9 Div I schools, 3FBS/6FCS, for 5M population. It one of the worst in that regard.

acbearkat
September 27th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Lamar’s offense is offensive. Puddin had a hilarious quote on Big Red Insider I saw today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2021, 08:10 PM
Delaware State is the worst

katss07
September 27th, 2021, 08:37 PM
I still don’t get the Shultz firing. There had to have been something going on behind the scenes. I think someone has said that boosters didn’t like him, which I don’t understand. Maybe someone can explain. The guy had Lamar in the playoffs by year two. They played some hard nosed football against us two years in a row. They beat Sam 2/3 times under him. Was the step back from 7-4 to 4-8 in year two a big enough slide to fire the guy? The only coach who brought any success to Lamar post reinstatement?

AC is right, it’s disappointing that Lamar isn’t better than they are. He mentions their recruiting grounds, but that’s really only half of it. Provost Umphrey is a very nice stadium and probably the best FCS venue I’ve ever visited. It blows Bowers out of the water. Their end zone facility looks very nice and they have plenty of suites connected to the adjacent Montagne Center. They’ve got a larger endowment than Sam or SFA They should be competing for recruits in East Texas. I don’t get it.

SpreadTheWord
September 27th, 2021, 09:03 PM
I still don’t get the Shultz firing. There had to have been something going on behind the scenes. I think someone has said that boosters didn’t like him, which I don’t understand. Maybe someone can explain. The guy had Lamar in the playoffs by year two. They played some hard nosed football against us two years in a row. They beat Sam 2/3 times under him. Was the step back from 7-4 to 4-8 in year two a big enough slide to fire the guy? The only coach who brought any success to Lamar post reinstatement?

AC is right, it’s disappointing that Lamar isn’t better than they are. He mentions their recruiting grounds, but that’s really only half of it. Provost Umphrey is a very nice stadium and probably the best FCS venue I’ve ever visited. It blows Bowers out of the water. Their end zone facility looks very nice and they have plenty of suites connected to the adjacent Montagne Center. They’ve got a larger endowment than Sam or SFA They should be competing for recruits in East Texas. I don’t get it.

Provost Umphrey is a tremendous FCS stadium. Their visitors locker rooms were definitely the nicest out of any away venue we played in, too. They used to draw around 12k-14k in attendance those first few years when they brought football back. Now, they're lucky to get even half that.

Puddin Tane
September 27th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Where to start

- why did schultz get canned. Hated by everyone. Turned us into JUCO U.
-Morgan was a qb at Air Force back in the day

now, in his defense. Our roster is 80-85% freshmen or “covid” freshmen. His philosophy (which i like) was that you build a program thru freshmen, not juco. I like that, but dont know if its doable with todays play or i leave kids. I also think, since he was a lightly recruited, undersized kid, that that is what he is recruiting. Schultz did leave the cupboard totally bare, but more than 1/2 of morgans first recruiting class has left, including every qb that could pass and wasnt “dual threat”..a term i fricking hate.

but, after schultz, enthusiasm was down as was attendance. How did the powers that be decide to rectify that? With a damn coach running a service academy offense? Just shoot me. Went to the acu game, it was like being in the library. There is absolutely zero enthusiasm. Its boring. Zero entertainment. Almost like a punishment.
And morgan said the offense was too complicated ! They are gonna simplify! So, i guess were down to 2 plays.

yeas, i am biased. I think i college, especially fcs, you can pass on dang near anybody. And its a heck of alot more exciting than 2.8 yards a rush

i didnt like the hire but im not big money that picked him. Ida gone with Scotty Walden (now at Peay) or possibly Kerwin Bell. Still have growing pains but at least we might complete a pass and get past midfield.

he wont get fired. I figure we have this season and two more.

and no, we are not the worst team in fcs. That would be NoCo. And hbu, Nwst would beat the stuffing out of us.

Puddin Tane
September 27th, 2021, 09:36 PM
And for the golden triangle talent . I think it’s overrated. Theres some good kids, but the good ones go Fbs. But hate to say it, but i believe the majority of bmt. Port arthur, wo-s kids are dumber than a sack of rocks and couldnt pass college classes.

Puddin Tane
September 27th, 2021, 09:44 PM
I think it goes hand in hand in his recruiting the little overlooked like he was players

and its not exactly a triple option…but just as boring. Im not sure what you would label it. A morphed flexbone with the occasional te handoff up the middle and a wr running 10 yards deep behind the qb almost every play. Theres not alot of the typical run wide, qb keep or pitch. A bunch of run up the middle behind an all freshmen line.

Puddin Tane
September 27th, 2021, 10:06 PM
I'm sure it doesn't help that some annoying school up north keeps stealing many of their better players.

LU North!

I think with one exception, those are our “student” athletes on the 8-10 year degree plan

Cocky
September 27th, 2021, 10:33 PM
Jacksonville State could have 10 turnovers in that game with 15 penalties and still win by 40 points over Lamar. I'm being both serious and facetious and at the same time. In the spring, in Beaumont, we had four turnovers and beat Lamar 62-7, as they also had four turnovers. Without the four turnovers, we probably score at least 80. It was an ugly game to watch. I watched Lamar play my first year at Sam (2011) and we beat them 66-0. Granted, they had just brought back football, so they were really bad.

Never, Never, Never underestimate a JSU team. Our secondary is very forgiving and Lamar will feel free and relaxed. Not only will be have 15 penalties Lamar may get 15 first downs from JSU penalties. This is a special JSU team even more undisciplined than any of the other great undisciplined team in JSU history.

Stay tuned guys you may see things you cant even see at your local traveling carnival. Step right up guys step right up!!

Puddin Tane
September 27th, 2021, 10:56 PM
Never, Never, Never underestimate a JSU team. Our secondary is very forgiving and Lamar will feel free and relaxed. Not only will be have 15 penalties Lamar may get 15 first downs from JSU penalties. This is a special JSU team even more undisciplined than any of the other great undisciplined team in JSU history.

Stay tuned guys you may see things you cant even see at your local traveling carnival. Step right up guys step right up!!

we dont pass

Cocky
September 28th, 2021, 07:07 AM
we dont pass

Thats a shame, we dont stop the pass

acbearkat
September 28th, 2021, 08:02 AM
Here's a direct quote from Puddin on Big Red Insider talking about Lamar:

"You could beat this team with 3 d lineman, a twirler, 2 tuba players, a cheerleader and 4 flag girls."

Cocky
September 28th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Here's a direct quote from Puddin on Big Red Insider talking about Lamar:

"You could beat this team with 3 d lineman, a twirler, 2 tuba players, a cheerleader and 4 flag girls."

We have a helluva band but no tuba players ( Southerners us 20Js) and not twirlers (Southerners have ballerinas). Looking more and more like a L for JSU.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_p7ASDXIAcgTsn?format=jpg&name=small

ST_Lawson
September 28th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Thats a shame, we dont stop the pass

Can we play you?

Southerners use 20Js

That's kinda surprising actually. I would have thought your band would use something more like a shouldered marching tuba (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/2007-Brigadiers-Contra-Line.jpg) since there was a connection between JSU and Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps for a while.

McNeese72
September 28th, 2021, 08:35 AM
On Saturday, the Cardinals only managed 136 yards of offense, 38 yards passing, and a paltry 98 yards rushing on 42 attempts, and gave up 461 yards and 56 points. That game in Huntsville will get ugly and ugly fast for Lamar.

McNeese only did slightly better against the UIW "defense". Too bad we don't play Lamar this season. Maybe we could give them a good game and a chance for a W. ;)

Doc

Cocky
September 28th, 2021, 09:34 AM
Can we play you?

That's kinda surprising actually. I would have thought your band would use something more like a shouldered marching tuba (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/2007-Brigadiers-Contra-Line.jpg) since there was a connection between JSU and Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps for a while.

I think you are correct about the Spirit connection but I will wait and hope another JSU poster with more band knowledge will reply.