PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 5

DFW HOYA
September 26th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Harvard vs. Holy Cross is the marquee game in a schedule where no other team has a winning record.

The league was 3-3 last week and improved its non-conference record to 6-18.

Yale (1-1) at Lehigh (0-4), 12 noon
Colgate (1-3) at Georgetown (1-2), 12:30
Harvard (2-0) at Holy Cross (3-1), 1:30
Cornell (0-2) at Bucknell (0-3), 3:30
Fordham (1-3) at Lafayette (1-3), 3:30

Fordham
September 26th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Fordham v Lafayette is the most meaningful game on the schedule. Winner likely to play HC for the auto bid

Pard4Life
September 26th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Lafayette is the clear number three team in the PL right now. If our offense was more consistent, no question we would win, but...

Pard4Life
September 26th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Where is LFN? Did he jump ship? He blogged about the Villanova game and then nada...

The Cats
September 26th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Yale (1-1) at Lehigh (0-4)
Colgate (1-3) at Georgetown (1-2)
Harvard (2-0) at Holy Cross (3-1)
Cornell (0-2) at Bucknell (0-3)
Fordham (1-3) at Lafayette (1-3)

Bill
September 26th, 2021, 07:11 PM
Where is LFN? Did he jump ship? He blogged about the Villanova game and then nada...

All Lehigh fans - myself included - have been absent searching for wardrobe updates32144
This is not ending well.

Edit: This would be funnier if I could figure out the whole images thing again.

Digby
September 26th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Yale. The only drama is, will the Gilmore Guys get a touchdown?
Colgate. Who knows?
Harvard. Tough one. Go across!
Cornell. Just because.
Fordham. This hurts but they have good players who may be learning to play together.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 26th, 2021, 08:28 PM
I was really hoping the Lafayette-Fordham game was a 6:30 kick! If it was I was going to enjoy a full day in the Lehigh Valley; golf in the am, ND-Cinci and a couple beers/food on College Hill then the Lafayette-Fordham game. But as it is, no dice! I need to get to a game! Clemson at 'Cuse in a few weeks might be the one...

Ivytalk
September 26th, 2021, 09:22 PM
Yale
Colgate
Harvard
Cornell
Lafayette

bonarae
September 26th, 2021, 09:57 PM
Yale
Colgate
Harvard
Cornell
Fordham

ngineer
September 26th, 2021, 11:31 PM
I actually admit I travelled to Hamilton thinking I'd see a competitive game. I place the nature of the loss squarely on the the coaches. The kids were not ready to play. Teams that are focused and 'ready' do not make the mistakes that occurred in the first quarter, both offense and defense. It was embarrassing. I felt like a time traveler being sent back to the 1960's when Lehigh "in the desert", winning four games over five years. While the defense seemed to make some adjustments and got back into the game, the offense is a dumpster fire. The opponents over the past several weeks, including Colgate, knew what was coming. Their LBs and CBs were jumping routes, blow up screens, and lived in the backfield. We don't have a QB who is game ready. Wilkinson did not make the trip (injured), Beesmer left the team, Perri doesn't have the mobility to avoid pressure, and the one who can run,Summerville, took a nasty spear to the chest and was taken to hospital for precautionary xrays (condition unknown at present). The remaining 2 QBs are frosh and doubt they have enough command of the playbook, yet...though, if this fiasco continues over the next two weeks, we might see one or both start. I recall Stambaugh being put in halfway through his frosh year 1997. He took his lumps, but showed promise and became an All-American who had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Not saying Raucher or Shapiro are in that category, but we might as well see what we have in the cupboard. I cannot believe our OC makes it out of this.

Yale 31-6 (two field goals)
Colgate 24-13
Holy Cross 31-28
Cornell 20-6
Fordham 34-21

Lehigh'98
September 27th, 2021, 09:17 AM
I actually admit I travelled to Hamilton thinking I'd see a competitive game. I place the nature of the loss squarely on the the coaches. The kids were not ready to play. Teams that are focused and 'ready' do not make the mistakes that occurred in the first quarter, both offense and defense. It was embarrassing. I felt like a time traveler being sent back to the 1960's when Lehigh "in the desert", winning four games over five years. While the defense seemed to make some adjustments and got back into the game, the offense is a dumpster fire. The opponents over the past several weeks, including Colgate, knew what was coming. Their LBs and CBs were jumping routes, blow up screens, and lived in the backfield. We don't have a QB who is game ready. Wilkinson did not make the trip (injured), Beesmer left the team, Perri doesn't have the mobility to avoid pressure, and the one who can run,Summerville, took a nasty spear to the chest and was taken to hospital for precautionary xrays (condition unknown at present). The remaining 2 QBs are frosh and doubt they have enough command of the playbook, yet...though, if this fiasco continues over the next two weeks, we might see one or both start. I recall Stambaugh being put in halfway through his frosh year 1997. He took his lumps, but showed promise and became an All-American who had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Not saying Raucher or Shapiro are in that category, but we might as well see what we have in the cupboard. I cannot believe our OC makes it out of this.

Colgate 24-13
Holy Cross 31-28
Cornell 20-6
Fordham 34-21

Problems are deeper than just the OC. Complete reset is required here.

Bill
September 27th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Hey '98

I have NOT talked to him about this...but what about a return of Stec to South Mountain? Could be rather interesting....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 27th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Hey '98

I have NOT talked to him about this...but what about a return of Stec to South Mountain? Could be rather interesting....

Two names I'd throw in the hat. Give me an offensive guy with an upbeat positive vibe that can develop and replenish a quality staff.....

Mike Willis Princeton OC
Mark Maciejewski HC Shippensburg, 2nd winningest coach in program history. Always among the best offenses in the PSAC.

crusader11
September 27th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Two names I'd throw in the hat. Give me an offensive guy with an upbeat positive vibe that can develop and replenish a quality staff.....

Mike Willis Princeton OC
Mark Maciejewski HC Shippensburg, 2nd winningest coach in program history. Always among the best offenses in the PSAC.

If that's the kind of profile you want, take a look at Kevin Decker, Fordham OC.

crusader11
September 27th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Another one -- Tim Cramsey.

His name has been floated around in the past for other jobs. He's supposedly a really bright offensive mind, but the question I have is -- why hasn't he been a head coach yet?

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2021, 10:16 AM

Colgate 24-13
Holy Cross 31-28
Cornell 20-6
Fordham 34-21

you have no talent on offense

Coaches didn’t lose this game on game day, they lost it on recruiting day

TheValleyRaider
September 27th, 2021, 05:34 PM
Only 3-2 a week ago, but I am glad to be wrong about the Rams and Leopards. What does that mean going forward? One win does not make a season, and neither does one week for a picker. 16-9 on the season.

Yale at Lehigh Yale The Bulldogs seem a bit slow to start the season, losing to HC and getting by Cornell. For a team that could be be near the top of the Ivy League, they'd like to see a few more things go their way heading into Game #3. Enter the Hawks, who look, well, not great. Eli will want to see a complete performance, and probably a few more points.

Colgate at Georgetown Colgate The Raiders finally got in the win column, a nice result after a tough start. It's not often we can say Georgetown is tougher competition than Lehigh, but here we are. Brenneman looks better, and the run game might have found a back in John Cox. The Hoyas had a nice comeback in their opener, but haven't gotten a result since. Colgate has only lost once to Georgetown all-time, here's to hoping we don't see #2.

Harvard at Holy Cross Holy Cross The Crusaders have bounced back nicely from the Merrimack loss with two big road wins. Now, coming home, they face an in-state Ivy. The Crimson have definitely slid in recent years, but are off to a strong start, breaking 40 points in their two wins. HC represents a step up from Georgetown and Brown. Good Patriot League usually does well against non-favorites from the Ivies.

Cornell at Bucknell Cornell I don't know about this one. The Bison have not been good so far this season in three ugly losses, only one TD and one FG to show for their offense. Cornell has lost twice as well, but come much closer against better competition in Yale and VMI. I hate picking SUNY-Ithaca, but it's hard to go for Bucknell at this moment.

Fordham at Lafayette Fordham The Patriot League game of the week, which looks quite different in the aftermath of two big OOC wins. I think the Rams are the better side, probably #2 behind Holy Cross in the League, and they can more consistently put points on the board. Going on the road is tougher, but I'll take the Rams to pull this one out.

ngineer
September 27th, 2021, 06:21 PM
you have no talent on offense

Coaches didn’t lose this game on game day, they lost it on recruiting day

You didn't see the play live. There was no intensity from the get go. 'gate came our hungry and we were...I hate to say 'timid'. That is a mindset. I agree we have no top shelf talent at QB., but we do have some very good backs, a returning line that, while not great, showed they could move the line last year. Defense has some players, and has hung in for the majority of the time, but gets worn down from being on the field all the time. I agree that Lehigh has been out-recruited over the the last four years, the first two being when we were suffering with the Coen situation and teams took advantage of that. The last two years seem to have brought in some talent, but it is very inexperienced and young at this point. Five and six year players on an opposing team, can yield a 3-4 year age difference, which also translates into size, strength and speed. We are certainly behind the eight ball, and it will be interesting to see how patient the athletic administration will be. I am pretty sure Gilmore got at least a 4 if not a five year contract that usually goes to new coaches to get "their program" settled. It took Fred Dunlap six years to get his first winning season at Lehigh in 1971. This valley may be just as deep.

Lehigh Engineer
September 28th, 2021, 12:18 AM
QB 6'2" 220 LBs
HANK SHAPIRO (https://lehighsports.com/sports/football/roster/hank-shapiro/15349)
SOPHOMORE

We still haven't seen Hank at QB....kid is from Westfield NJ and had some credentials when he entered LU.

crusader11
September 28th, 2021, 06:57 AM
Is LFN no longer around?

Fordham
September 28th, 2021, 07:50 AM
Good luck to HC this weekend. Likely the toughest test on the schedule imo. I watched some of the Harvard - Brown game and Harvard has some big time talent. I believe one of their OL already committed to transfer to Penn State for a post-grad year (smartly AFTER getting his Harvard degree). Really curious to see how this one plays out and pulling hard for HC.

@Lafayette fans - curious what your strengths are? My perception is that your D is really good this year and particularly so on the DL. Is that accurate? What should we expect from your O? For Fordham, our QB, WRs and OL are outstanding this year. The brutal first four games took their toll on us at TE (2 injuries) and RB (2 injuries, both All-PL level guys); otherwise this O would be far and away the best we've had since Moorhead's days. On D it's really really tough to gauge. With All PL NG Jonathan Coste out, our DL has been cobbled together and have performed admirably but it's not a dominant group. Greenhagen is an All American and the best LB we've had at Fordham since the early 90's. He's incredible. Defensive backfield has been pretty good as well. Coaching staff outcoached Stony Brook on both sides of the ball last week imo. Otherwise we've been prone to sloppy play or miscues but it's really incredibly hard to tell where we're at when our first four games have been against Nebraska, Florida Atlantic, Monmouth and Stony Brook. This is an absolutely huge game for both teams. Can't wait

ngineer
September 28th, 2021, 10:47 AM
QB 6'2" 220 LBs
HANK SHAPIRO (https://lehighsports.com/sports/football/roster/hank-shapiro/15349)
SOPHOMORE

We still haven't seen Hank at QB....kid is from Westfield NJ and had some credentials when he entered LU.

Agreed. Neither Raucher. Shapiro supposedly is talented, but I think they are reluctant to start either frosh at this point or until they appear sufficiently familiar with the offense. Of course, one could say, it shouldn't be that complex since our opponents seem to know what is coming before we do! I think if things don't show any measurable improvement over the next two weeks we may well see either frosh or both.

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2021, 10:51 AM
HERE THEY ARE -

Yale (-20) at Lehigh

Princeton (-19.5) vs Columbia

Dartmouth (-7) at Penn

Harvard (-3.5) at Holy Cross

Colgate (PK) at Georgetown

Cornell (-14.5) at Bucknell

Fordham (PK) at Lafayette

Brown (-1.5) at Bryant

Rhode Island (-10) vs Stony Brook

Citadel (-1.5) vs VMI

Merrimack (-3) vs Duquesne

Richmond (-12.5) vs Elon

Monmouth (-4.5) vs Gardner-Webb

Delaware (-10) vs Albany

James Madison (-24) at New Hampshire

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Bogey whats the spread on Fordham game please?

Bogus Megapardus
September 28th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Bogey whats the spread on Fordham game please?

KPSUL
September 28th, 2021, 10:14 PM
HERE THEY ARE -

The U of Pittsburg strategy is working! We appear to have them sufficiently over-confident.

Bogus Megapardus
September 29th, 2021, 06:47 AM

The U of Pittsburg strategy is working! We appear to have them sufficiently over-confident.

You've got 'em just where you want 'em. xnodx

KPSUL
September 29th, 2021, 06:33 PM
You've got 'em just where you want 'em. xnodx

It's gonna be legendary! Can't wait to witness it!

kdinva
September 29th, 2021, 07:33 PM
Yale 37; Lehigh 13
Colgate 26; Georgetown 17
Harvard 27; Holy Cross 31
Cornell 28; Bucknell 17
Fordham 20; Lafayette 24

Fordham
September 30th, 2021, 08:24 AM

makes sense.

Bogie, did I miss it or did you or some other Lafayette fan give a breakdown on your team? I gave one on Fordham earlier. My perception is that you guys are very good on D with a particular strength on the DL. We're down to our 3rd string (former walk-on) RB as well as last year's scout team RB as our key ball carriers due to getting beaten up in these first four games. Our OL is outstanding but not sure we'll find much running room against your group. For us to win it will likely come down to Demorat, who has been really outstanding this year - pre-season OPOY and playing like it - but he can be prone to the errant pass pick every once in a while which is something that can kill you in a close game.

Are you guys ground and pound or do you sling it? On D our DL is also decimated with injuries but have been stepping up, particularly against Stony Brook. We could be in trouble if you guys have a beefy OL who just wants to grind us down. Greenhagen is our best defensive player since the 90's and our secondary is good. Sounds like this one could come down to special teams and turnovers.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2021, 08:39 AM
makes sense.

Bogie, did I miss it or did you or some other Lafayette fan give a breakdown on your team?

I did not, but I'll try to do a little synopsis later on today if you like.

Fordham
September 30th, 2021, 09:15 AM
I did not, but I'll try to do a little synopsis later on today if you like. please do. Thanks

Go Green
September 30th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Harvard (-3.5) at Holy Cross

Harvard's starting QB was injured last week while protecting a 49-0 lead against Brown. I'll be curious to see if he's able to play against HC.

ngineer
October 1st, 2021, 12:36 AM
Will be interesting to see who starts at QB for Lehigh. Luckily, Summerville is back at practice as the concerns over the ribs were unfounded based upon xrays. I assume it will be either Perri or Summerville to start, but also depending on Wilkinson's physical health..Hopefully, someone steps up. The OL needs to start asserting itself to open up the running game.

NY Crusader 2010
October 1st, 2021, 03:09 AM
Yale -- will they get Gilmore fired again?
Georgetown
HC -- We tended to overperform against Johnnies at home but Chesney has yet to beat Harvard. With a W, at-large becomes possible.
Cornell
Fordham -- A lot on the line early in the PL season. Why do I have a funny feeling this is Fordham's year?

RichH2
October 1st, 2021, 12:10 PM
Will be interesting to see who starts at QB for Lehigh. Luckily, Summerville is back at practice as the concerns over the ribs were unfounded based upon xrays. I assume it will be either Perri or Summerville to start, but also depending on Wilkinson's physical health..Hopefully, someone steps up. The OL needs to start asserting itself to open up the running game.

Hoping Nigel gets the call. But,regardless of QB, the OC will be calling the plays.smh. I assume there is some kind of rationale for the revolving door substitutions at RB and WR.IMO it does little except disjoint any continuity the O could strive for.

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2021, 12:32 PM
Hard to believe it was 25 years ago Oct 12, 1996 at Coffey Field during warmups Ram Bill Tierney collapsed minutes before the kickoff for their homecoming game vs Lafayette. His 15 year old sister was scheduled to sign the national anthem. He had no pulse on field and was taken to St Barnabus Hospital where he was pronounced. The game was cancelled and not played.

Leopard Loyalist
October 1st, 2021, 04:59 PM
Yale (1-1) at Lehigh (0-4), 12 noon
Colgate (1-3) at Georgetown (1-2), 12:30
Harvard (2-0) at Holy Cross (3-1), 1:30
Cornell (0-2) at Bucknell (0-3), 3:30
Fordham (1-3) at Lafayette (1-3), 3:30

20-5 so far this season. A hunch and a wish on the two biggest games this week (Worcester and Easton).

IslandPard
October 1st, 2021, 08:32 PM
Good luck to HC this weekend. Likely the toughest test on the schedule imo. I watched some of the Harvard - Brown game and Harvard has some big time talent. I believe one of their OL already committed to transfer to Penn State for a post-grad year (smartly AFTER getting his Harvard degree). Really curious to see how this one plays out and pulling hard for HC.

@Lafayette fans - curious what your strengths are? My perception is that your D is really good this year and particularly so on the DL. Is that accurate? What should we expect from your O? For Fordham, our QB, WRs and OL are outstanding this year. The brutal first four games took their toll on us at TE (2 injuries) and RB (2 injuries, both All-PL level guys); otherwise this O would be far and away the best we've had since Moorhead's days. On D it's really really tough to gauge. With All PL NG Jonathan Coste out, our DL has been cobbled together and have performed admirably but it's not a dominant group. Greenhagen is an All American and the best LB we've had at Fordham since the early 90's. He's incredible. Defensive backfield has been pretty good as well. Coaching staff outcoached Stony Brook on both sides of the ball last week imo. Otherwise we've been prone to sloppy play or miscues but it's really incredibly hard to tell where we're at when our first four games have been against Nebraska, Florida Atlantic, Monmouth and Stony Brook. This is an absolutely huge game for both teams. Can't wait

Correct, our front 7 is about as talented as we've had on the hill. Last week, LB Major Jordan was out. He's our Capt and leading tackler. It didn't seem to hurt us much and I don't think we’ll have him back this week either. Olivas is probably better and only a sophomore. The secondary is deep but our FS and other captain got hit with a BS targeting call and will be out the first half of tomorrow

The offense? Oy vey. It hasn’t changed since Garrett arrived on campus. If you want and insight to our offense look no further than the NYG. Both Garrett brothers are pitiful. A great D and an O that leaves them out to dry. Last year, Shoemaker made everyone forget Garrett’s shortcomings. The new Frosh, Davis is very good. He is similar to Shoemaker…makes plays with his feet and has a VERY strong arm. Garrett still insists to handle RB by committee but Frosh Adams seems to be the most productive. Small, quick and finds a way to get positive yardage. Simpson is still in the mix. He had a great game against You last ear. Or maybe it was ‘19. He’s a big and explosive back. Not sure why he doesn’t get 15-20 carries a game. Garrett’s O. Adams ran back the opening kickoff against UNH. The Oline is experience but not great. The ND transfer has yet to step on the field. Injuries I suppose.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 1st, 2021, 09:08 PM
Colgate 27 Georgetown 24 - This should be an extremely competitive game. The Hoyas offense has some spark but they need to avoid mistakes. I trust Breneman and company to find a way to get to 2-0 in PL play.

Cornell 31 Bucknell 13 - One team is bad (Cornell) while the other team is awful (Bucknell). Bad wins....

Holy Cross 30 Harvard 27 - I'll take the home team in a thriller. A Crusader win likely assures them a playoff bid at 9-2....

Fordham 26 Lafayette 17 - This should be close throughout. The Rams add a late TD to end the 'Pards hopes....

Yale 45 Lehigh 6 - Another embarrassing Saturday for Lehigh football....xembarrassedx

Pards Rule
October 2nd, 2021, 08:38 AM
Correct, our front 7 is about as talented as we've had on the hill. Last week, LB Major Jordan was out. He's our Capt and leading tackler. It didn't seem to hurt us much and I don't think we’ll have him back this week either. Olivas is probably better and only a sophomore. The secondary is deep but our FS and other captain got hit with a BS targeting call and will be out the first half of tomorrow

The offense? Oy vey. It hasn’t changed since Garrett arrived on campus. If you want and insight to our offense look no further than the NYG. Both Garrett brothers are pitiful. A great D and an O that leaves them out to dry. Last year, Shoemaker made everyone forget Garrett’s shortcomings. The new Frosh, Davis is very good. He is similar to Shoemaker…makes plays with his feet and has a VERY strong arm. Garrett still insists to handle RB by committee but Frosh Adams seems to be the most productive. Small, quick and finds a way to get positive yardage. Simpson is still in the mix. He had a great game against You last ear. Or maybe it was ‘19. He’s a big and explosive back. Not sure why he doesn’t get 15-20 carries a game. Garrett’s O. Adams ran back the opening kickoff against UNH. The Oline is experience but not great. The ND transfer has yet to step on the field. Injuries I suppose.

IP, are you kidding me??!! I watched that game at Terrace Tavern on LBI and sound was down or off because other "more important" games being shown. Not of issue but I couldnt follow what happened there. I saw the BOGUS call and I thought they waved it off? And now I see TWO guys called for it? And a half this game they sit in addition? It was one of the most bogus targeting calls I have witnessed since the call was introduced! BTW IP are you on Long Beach Island (LBI) as I am? I live here now.

Pards Rule
October 2nd, 2021, 08:40 AM

BTW I thought Michael Hayes, number 33, frosh, had an excellent game too!

Pards Rule
October 2nd, 2021, 09:54 AM
What channel is Lafayette-Fordham on at 3:30?

crusader11
October 2nd, 2021, 11:49 AM
14-0 Yale, early 2nd.

17+ quarters without a TD for Lehigh.

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2021, 12:04 PM
Colgate 14
Georgetown 0
3:14 1st

This is the fourth consecutive game GU has started down 14-0.

Total Yards
Colgate 153
Georgetown 6

Time of possession to date:

Colgate: 10:49
Georgetown: 0:55

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 12:48 PM
Yale 21 Lehigh 0 Half

First Downs
Yale 14
Lehigh 4

Total Yards
Yale 272
Lehigh 63

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2021, 01:14 PM
Colgate 21
Georgetown 14
Halftime

Total Yards
Colgate 245
Georgetown 121

Time of possession to date:
Colgate: 16:49
Georgetown: 13:11

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 01:23 PM
Yale scores again!

35-0 Eli

Could 2021 Lehigh be the worst team in PL history?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 01:26 PM
Harvard 21 Holy Cross 0 13:17 2Q

Ugh...

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2021, 01:31 PM

Not close.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 01:53 PM
Lehigh gets to the Yale 11 with 2 minutes left but is denied on 4th down! It will be 5 games without a touchdown! The losing streak has now reached 12 games dating back to 2019!

Yale 34 Lehigh 0 Final

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 01:58 PM
Not close.

It's closer than "we" might think. Obviously further research can answer this question...

Digby
October 2nd, 2021, 02:11 PM
Gilmore!
Gimme Gimme Gilmore!

Please keep him through the Lafayette game!

He is the Indispensable Man!

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2021, 02:39 PM
It's closer than "we" might think. Obviously further research can answer this question...

The Fordham teams of the early 1990's and Georgetown 2001-09 would certainly challenge this.

And the champion until further notice, Davidson 1987-88.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 02:43 PM
Harvard 24 Holy Cross 6 9:06 3Q

Crusaders just recovered a muffed punt around the Crimson 10. This is shaping up to be a great second half...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 02:46 PM
TD Cross! Sluka with a nice scamper into the EZ....

Harvard 24 Holy Cross 13 8:13 3Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 03:01 PM
Fordham 14 Lafayette 0 8:52 1Q

Digby
October 2nd, 2021, 03:08 PM
What a disaster! Lehigh is terrible and there is no Lafayette board!

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2021, 03:16 PM
Colgate 28
Georgetown 21
Final

CHIP72
October 2nd, 2021, 04:08 PM
Yale scores again!

35-0 Eli

They probably have the worst offense in Patriot League history.

Has there ever been a Patriot League team that has failed to score a touchdown in any of its first five games? We’re talking the first 12 games of the 1977 Tampa Bay Buccaneers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leopard Loyalist
October 2nd, 2021, 04:09 PM
Leopards find ways to stop the Fordham offensive juggernaut, plus they put points on the board to tie it at halftime. Should be a great game the rest of the way.

CHIP72
October 2nd, 2021, 04:12 PM
Leopards find ways to stop the Fordham offensive juggernaut, plus they put points on the board to tie it at halftime. Should be a great game the rest of the way.

Maybe they’ll make like the first team listed in my profile and come back from a double digit 1st half deficit today to win. I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IslandPard
October 2nd, 2021, 05:35 PM
IP, are you kidding me??!! I watched that game at Terrace Tavern on LBI and sound was down or off because other "more important" games being shown. Not of issue but I couldnt follow what happened there. I saw the BOGUS call and I thought they waved it off? And now I see TWO guys called for it? And a half this game they sit in addition? It was one of the most bogus targeting calls I have witnessed since the call was introduced! BTW IP are you on Long Beach Island (LBI) as I am? I live here now.

Yup! Horse s**t!! I’m in East Hampton. We don’t consider it Long-Guy-land but I am technically on he Isle and in NY.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I thought Michael Hayes, number 33, frosh, had an excellent game too!

yes…wrong name. Hayes!!

IslandPard
October 2nd, 2021, 05:42 PM
That reverse play on first down illustrates my issue with Garrett!!!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 05:45 PM
This Fordham-Lafayette game has been awesome!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 05:48 PM
What a 3rd 20 conversion for the Pards!

Under 3 minutes to go

Fordham 36-35....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 05:50 PM
TD 'Pards!! Missed 2 pt conversion...

41-36 1:40 4Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 05:53 PM
Fordham inside Lafayette territory with about a minute left...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 05:56 PM
TD Rams!! Holy crap what a game!!

DFW HOYA
Garrett with the matador defense. Fordham goes 72 yards in a minute.

Going for two is hindsight at this point.

Lehigh'98
Great drive by Fordham. Lafayette way too passive there on defense.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2021, 06:08 PM
Fordham hangs on 42-41!

Rams are the favorites heading into the heart of the season....

Franks Tanks
October 2nd, 2021, 06:10 PM
Unbelievable, Pards once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

IslandPard
October 2nd, 2021, 06:12 PM
Why is Garrett smiling and happy? He bl*ws! Period.

Edit: Mediocre athletics and we’re all warm and fuzzy. SMH

Digby
October 2nd, 2021, 07:36 PM
Postgame Gilmore:

“We did some good things and then there were things we didn’t execute well,” Gilmore said. “Throughout the game, different guys were doing some good things and it gives you some hope for what they can do with more experience, more playing time. Some of them were playing for the very first time and some were playing a lot more today than they were before.”

I don’t know. Are the players he inherited that bad?

”I’m happy for Andy.”

The Boogie Down
October 3rd, 2021, 12:45 AM
This Fordham-Lafayette game has been awesome!

Not quite Alabama vs. Clemson but still entertaining. Very similar to their last matchup too. Then Lafayette jumped to a 17-0 first quarter lead, Fordham came back, eventually took a 34-31 lead with 3:30 minutes to go, then let the Leopards march down field for the 38-34 win.

This time Fordham jumped to a 14-0 lead just minutes in. Lafayette came back, took the lead at 28-21, got it up to 35-26, still had it at 41-36 w/1:40 to go, then the let the Rams march down field for the 42-41 win.

Pards Rule
October 3rd, 2021, 08:26 AM
That reverse play on first down illustrates my issue with Garrett!!!!

Agreed! I was like WTF save that for another much more opportune time. As it was the ensuing TD bailed him out and it actually took more time off clock but that wasnt his intent there.

Pards Rule
October 3rd, 2021, 08:30 AM
Yup! Horse s**t!! I’m in East Hampton. We don’t consider it Long-Guy-land but I am technically on he Isle and in NY.

- - - Updated - - -

yes…wrong name. Hayes!!

Gotcha - yeah it is an Island thanks to East River! I was born in Manhasset North Shore hospital so an Islander too

caribbeanhen
October 3rd, 2021, 11:25 AM

- - - Updated - - -

yes…wrong name. Hayes!!

East Hampton... nice neighborhood

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2021, 01:21 PM
Is Gilmore still employed?

Pards Rule
October 3rd, 2021, 01:28 PM
Is Gilmore still employed?

At this point the OC or DC would have to take over. Which one would Sterrett choose if it happens? I doubt OC after this start

Digby
October 3rd, 2021, 05:49 PM
There is no heir apparent on the staff. Putting the OC in as interim guy would be a big insult to the fans.
Keep Gilmore. He’s doing exactly what he was expected to do, only more so.

ngineer
October 3rd, 2021, 10:34 PM
Postgame Gilmore:

“We did some good things and then there were things we didn’t execute well,” Gilmore said. “Throughout the game, different guys were doing some good things and it gives you some hope for what they can do with more experience, more playing time. Some of them were playing for the very first time and some were playing a lot more today than they were before.”

I don’t know. Are the players he inherited that bad?

”I’m happy for Andy.”

Unfortunately, Gilmore did not inherit much when he arrived. Due to the gradual demise of the former HC's health, recruiting was not what it should have been. While there was recruiting in 2018, there wasn't enough focus as a lot of coaches were looking for new gigs at the same time. We had a diminished roster in 2019, went 3-8, losing several games by one score. The ability to make a quick rebound was hampered by COVID impact. Yes, everyone had to deal with COVID, but combining that with being behind the 8 ball with Coen's situation had a significant impact on the program. There was a 'whispering' campaign about Lehigh and Coen back in '18 and it had to have had some impact. Today, 70% of the team is frosh and sophs. A good number played on Saturday. Two of senior lineman were not in pads on the sideline all game. We are on our 4th QB, Summerville, who is the most mobile of the crew, and he needs to be because the OL is the main issue. We have 3-4 very good RBs, but they need some daylight AND some play calling that gives them a chance. The OC should have been gone a couple years ago. Why he has remained is a mystery. We are doing delayed running plays that constantly get blown up in the backfield. I would be going to the old 'quick openers' with straight on blocking rather than these 'pushing/shoving' type of blocking schemes. If the run game can get moving, it will take some pressure off the receivers who are usually covered because the defenses have been able to focus on our attempt to pass. At times, it looks as if the opponent knows what we're going to run before we do!

The defense has been hit with some injuries. All-League LB Hafner hasn't played in three weeks. We are undersized, giving away about 50 lbs. a man up front. The secondary is fairly athletic and has some potential all-league talent, but it helps to get pressure on the QB. D gets worn down over time, but has not given up the fight. This I will give a lot of credit to the team, including Gilmore. They have not quit. Each game so far has had at least two big, long scoring plays due to a mistake in assignment.

The only bright spots have been special teams. Our punter has become very consistent (which comes with repetition) with a number downed inside the 15 and averaged about 45 yds on Saturday. PK has has made all three FG attempts. KO return returned a 96 yarder on Saturday for what we thought was our first TD, but called back due to a block in the back...what else? So, we travel to Penn on Saturday, who got drilled by Dartmouth and lost to Lafayette. Some of these early games, it has felt like men against boys. Richmond starters were mostly RS Juniors and 5th year seniors. At this level, there can be a significant difference between mostly 18-20 year olds and 23-24 year olds, physically, maturity and experience-wise.

Gilmore had to know what he was coming into. I would be shocked if he was given less than a 4 or 5 year contract to get things turned around. I like some of our assistants and the DC. The have kept an upbeat attitude. It can't be easy. Lehigh is now is a place it hasn't been since the mid 1960's when it won 4 games in five years. The current losing streak matches the school record of 12 set from the 1925-26 seasons. Fred Dunlap (my old coach) arrived in 1965 when Lehigh had it's last wandering in the desert. It took him until fall of 1971 to get a winning season, though he won 4 games in 1970 that included a gargantuan upset of then #3 Delaware, still considered one of the greatest upsets in school history. It is seen as the 'springboard' into the '70's instilling confidence in the program. Hopefully, we'll be able to get there sooner than it took Fred. I expect the school to be patient with turn around. Hoping for another good recruiting year coming up, we would expect to see results. As for this year, we might not win a game. We could win 3 if a level of consistency can be attained. The QB merry go round doesn't help such development, quickly. We have been spoiled with a lot of success over the past 50 years. Too many people expect 'things' to be addressed as they see in the NFL and FBS programs where winning and $$$ are the only priority. Lehigh and the Patriot League just doesn't operate that way. So unless something 'untoward' occurs within the program, I think the administration will be like Deming Lewis was with Dunlap back in the late 1960's when many were calling for Dunlap's scalp.

Fordham
October 4th, 2021, 08:34 AM
wow, what a game, Pards! Our OPOY QB played against a guy that looks like a future OPOY candidate. Great QB and just an unbelievable game. Both teams showed a ton imo. We are very lucky to keep our hopes of having a meaningful game against HC later in the year still in place. We are very banged up right now so hoping we can heal up a little.

So what happened to HC? Was it just a case of superior overall talent? I saw Harvard play Brown and was very impressed with their talent on both sides of the ball. Don't want to smack at the Ivies but with the talent Harvard has it really is a shame that they don't get to take that team for a test drive against an FBS school or a top CAA or MV one. Playing only Ivies and 2 OOC that are both PL games sucks. You really have no idea how good they are but the fact that their kids are getting offers from P5 schools to transfer for their PG year tells you what the top level programs think of their talent imo.

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2021, 10:22 AM
wow, what a game, Pards! Our OPOY QB played against a guy that looks like a future OPOY candidate. Great QB and just an unbelievable game. Both teams showed a ton imo. We are very lucky to keep our hopes of having a meaningful game against HC later in the year still in place. We are very banged up right now so hoping we can heal up a little.

So what happened to HC? Was it just a case of superior overall talent? I saw Harvard play Brown and was very impressed with their talent on both sides of the ball. Don't want to smack at the Ivies but with the talent Harvard has it really is a shame that they don't get to take that team for a test drive against an FBS school or a top CAA or MV one. Playing only Ivies and 2 OOC that are both PL games sucks. You really have no idea how good they are but the fact that their kids are getting offers from P5 schools to transfer for their PG year tells you what the top level programs think of their talent imo.

Putting aside the bowl counter issue (which may go away someday, or after this next NCAA convention), there are at least a dozen FBS schools that would schedule Harvard right now if they were so inclined.

Go Green
October 4th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Putting aside the bowl counter issue (which may go away someday, or after this next NCAA convention), there are at least a dozen FBS schools that would schedule Harvard right now if they were so inclined.

That Harvard never challenges itself OOC is part of the reason why their head coach owns the career record for Ivy wins.

Sader87
October 4th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Long story short, Harvard is just very solid overall. Their D bottled us up for 2 and a half quarters and their O was very balanced.

Much like in the Merrimack game, we continually shot ourselves in the foot but that has to be reflective somewhat on the Johnnies defense.

HC battled back from 24-0 at half to 24-13 and with the ball in the 3rd but with our sloppy O on Saturday, it was ultimately too big a hill to climb out of....

Good week for a bye week and to regroup for PL play.

The Boogie Down
October 4th, 2021, 05:26 PM
That Harvard never challenges itself OOC is part of the reason why their head coach owns the career record for Ivy wins.
+1
Harvard has only played two ranked OOC opponents since 2004. Obviously no FBS teams either.

The Boogie Down
October 4th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Long story short, Harvard is just very solid overall. Their D bottled us up for 2 and a half quarters and their O was very balanced.

Much like in the Merrimack game, we continually shot ourselves in the foot but that has to be reflective somewhat on the Johnnies defense.

HC battled back from 24-0 at half to 24-13 and with the ball in the 3rd but with our sloppy O on Saturday, it was ultimately too big a hill to climb out of....

Good week for a bye week and to regroup for PL play.

Ehhh, seems like the cracks are starting to show.

Pards Rule
October 4th, 2021, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately, Gilmore did not inherit much when he arrived. Due to the gradual demise of the former HC's health, recruiting was not what it should have been. While there was recruiting in 2018, there wasn't enough focus as a lot of coaches were looking for new gigs at the same time. We had a diminished roster in 2019, went 3-8, losing several games by one score. The ability to make a quick rebound was hampered by COVID impact. Yes, everyone had to deal with COVID, but combining that with being behind the 8 ball with Coen's situation had a significant impact on the program. There was a 'whispering' campaign about Lehigh and Coen back in '18 and it had to have had some impact. Today, 70% of the team is frosh and sophs. A good number played on Saturday. Two of senior lineman were not in pads on the sideline all game. We are on our 4th QB, Summerville, who is the most mobile of the crew, and he needs to be because the OL is the main issue. We have 3-4 very good RBs, but they need some daylight AND some play calling that gives them a chance. The OC should have been gone a couple years ago. Why he has remained is a mystery. We are doing delayed running plays that constantly get blown up in the backfield. I would be going to the old 'quick openers' with straight on blocking rather than these 'pushing/shoving' type of blocking schemes. If the run game can get moving, it will take some pressure off the receivers who are usually covered because the defenses have been able to focus on our attempt to pass. At times, it looks as if the opponent knows what we're going to run before we do!

The defense has been hit with some injuries. All-League LB Hafner hasn't played in three weeks. We are undersized, giving away about 50 lbs. a man up front. The secondary is fairly athletic and has some potential all-league talent, but it helps to get pressure on the QB. D gets worn down over time, but has not given up the fight. This I will give a lot of credit to the team, including Gilmore. They have not quit. Each game so far has had at least two big, long scoring plays due to a mistake in assignment.

The only bright spots have been special teams. Our punter has become very consistent (which comes with repetition) with a number downed inside the 15 and averaged about 45 yds on Saturday. PK has has made all three FG attempts. KO return returned a 96 yarder on Saturday for what we thought was our first TD, but called back due to a block in the back...what else? So, we travel to Penn on Saturday, who got drilled by Dartmouth and lost to Lafayette. Some of these early games, it has felt like men against boys. Richmond starters were mostly RS Juniors and 5th year seniors. At this level, there can be a significant difference between mostly 18-20 year olds and 23-24 year olds, physically, maturity and experience-wise.

Gilmore had to know what he was coming into. I would be shocked if he was given less than a 4 or 5 year contract to get things turned around. I like some of our assistants and the DC. The have kept an upbeat attitude. It can't be easy. Lehigh is now is a place it hasn't been since the mid 1960's when it won 4 games in five years. The current losing streak matches the school record of 12 set from the 1925-26 seasons. Fred Dunlap (my old coach) arrived in 1965 when Lehigh had it's last wandering in the desert. It took him until fall of 1971 to get a winning season, though he won 4 games in 1970 that included a gargantuan upset of then #3 Delaware, still considered one of the greatest upsets in school history. It is seen as the 'springboard' into the '70's instilling confidence in the program. Hopefully, we'll be able to get there sooner than it took Fred. I expect the school to be patient with turn around. Hoping for another good recruiting year coming up, we would expect to see results. As for this year, we might not win a game. We could win 3 if a level of consistency can be attained. The QB merry go round doesn't help such development, quickly. We have been spoiled with a lot of success over the past 50 years. Too many people expect 'things' to be addressed as they see in the NFL and FBS programs where winning and $$$ are the only priority. Lehigh and the Patriot League just doesn't operate that way. So unless something 'untoward' occurs within the program, I think the administration will be like Deming Lewis was with Dunlap back in the late 1960's when many were calling for Dunlap's scalp.
Very cognizant discussion. Look were are a mere game ahead of you. The Lehigh game always brings out the best of us...