PDA

View Full Version : d2 started tonight, scores(link)

catamount man
August 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.d2football.com/scores/

TheBisonator
August 23rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
And I should care, because........xcoffeex

McNeese_beat
August 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM

Because it's football!!! We take it where we can get it this time of year.

catamount man
August 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM

No ones asking you to care. Considering how good your years were in d2, I feel you'd be a little more appreciative, but that's okay. I'm having fun being a COLLEGE FOOTBALL FAN.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

terrierbob
August 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
I like Carson Newman (ranked 24th). We played them a lot in our NAIA days.

Ivytalk
August 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
The Fighting Sioux are way up! Holy Humboldt!xeekx xeekx

catamount man
August 23rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
SW Oklahoma is drilling NAIA NW Oklahoma 26-0 at the half. Listening to it via the web.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

TheBisonator
August 23rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
No ones asking you to care. Considering how good your years were in d2, I feel you'd be a little more appreciative, but that's okay. I'm having fun being a COLLEGE FOOTBALL FAN.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Interestingly enough, I'm not like other Bison fans. I don't see any reason to celebrate our 1980's DII glory years, because we were too stupid not to be in I-AA at that time. Those 5 DII national championships should have been I-AA national championships in my mind. Many, many sports writers and coaches made comments over and over back in those days said that NDSU did not belong in DII, because they were just too damn good. People were saying that if we played the I-AA national champs, we'd most likely beat them. They saw us as better than the I-AA champs!! People thought of us as one of the top-40 or 50 teams in the nation regardless of division, fer crying out loud!!!

We did not deserve to be in DII once the split between I-A and I-AA started in 1978. 1978-2003 was 25 wasted years, IMO. Scholarship cuts, scholarship cuts, and more scholarship cuts. Competition watered down to the level of nothing. We were like the smart 5th Grader still taking classes in his 4th Grade classroom, because he liked it in the 4th Grade and thought 5th Grade was too scary for him. Chalk that up to our testicle-deficient school and athletic administration those days.

As for the 1960's championship teams, yes, I celebrate and honor those teams, because at that time, we were at the level we belonged in.

So as you can see, I harbor a deep resentment towards Division II. Sorry to ramble on, just had to get that off my chest.

catamount man
August 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
That's fair, although the players on those great NDSU D2 squads will disagree with you, I'm sure. Peace!xthumbsupx

terrierbob
August 23rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Sorry to ramble on, just had to get that off my chest.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Talk about "ramble". How does that make you feel?

TheBisonator
August 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
That's fair, although the players on those great NDSU D2 squads will disagree with you, I'm sure. Peace!xthumbsupx

And of course, those were great players. Defintiely. Some of the best in the country, IMO. I personally know a few of them. Great guys, good friends, some of them coached me in HS, and they were terrific athletes. I just don't think that what they accomplished should be considered a huge achievement. I personally don't think it was an achievement worth celebrating. Others will disagree. In fact, a vast majority will. But the fact that schools like Lipscomb and Gardner-Webb moved to DI before NDSU did will always make me feel a little sick inside.

(No disrespect intended to Lipscomb and G-W. I don't have any problems with your athletic programs.)

SCPALADIN
August 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Interestingly enough, I'm not like other Bison fans. I don't see any reason to celebrate our 1980's DII glory years, because we were too stupid not to be in I-AA at that time. Those 5 DII national championships should have been I-AA national championships in my mind. Many, many sports writers and coaches made comments over and over back in those days said that NDSU did not belong in DII, because they were just too damn good. People were saying that if we played the I-AA national champs, we'd most likely beat them. They saw us as better than the I-AA champs!! People thought of us as one of the top-40 or 50 teams in the nation regardless of division, fer crying out loud!!!

We did not deserve to be in DII once the split between I-A and I-AA started in 1978. 1978-2003 was 25 wasted years, IMO. Scholarship cuts, scholarship cuts, and more scholarship cuts. Competition watered down to the level of nothing. We were like the smart 5th Grader still taking classes in his 4th Grade classroom, because he liked it in the 4th Grade and thought 5th Grade was too scary for him. Chalk that up to our testicle-deficient school and athletic administration those days.

As for the 1960's championship teams, yes, I celebrate and honor those teams, because at that time, we were at the level we belonged in.

So as you can see, I harbor a deep resentment towards Division II. Sorry to ramble on, just had to get that off my chest.

:pumpuke:

TheBisonator
August 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
:pumpuke:

Hey, I accept that my opinion's not a popular one. You'd feel the same way if Furman had stayed in Division II up until 3 years ago.

Reed Rothchild
August 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM

You just don't want to have to start hearing about the Sioux beating up on the Humbolt St potheads 59-0 :p

NDSUFREAK
August 23rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
You just don't want to have to start hearing about the Sioux beating up on the Humbolt St potheads 59-0 :p

more likely the INDEPENDANT DII Humolt St potheads

catamount man
August 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Here's today's d2 slate of games(if the link doesn't work, click "scores"xthumbsupx )

Anxious to see if Paul Hamilton, of ETSU and Elon fame, can lead Brevard past UVA-Wise.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Go Bison
August 25th, 2007, 09:23 AM

TheBisonator, I have to disagree with you on some of your points. I think NDSU should be proud of their DII championships. A championship at any level is still a championship. Should they have moved up earlier, yes but they didn't. End of story. They were in the best conference(the NCC) and most in that conference didn't want to move.

You really need to get over your resentment towards DII and UND. It is not going to get you anywhere in life. One thing you are right on is that you are not like other Bison fans. Time to move on.

JohnStOnge
August 25th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Interestingly enough, I'm not like other Bison fans. I don't see any reason to celebrate our 1980's DII glory years, because we were too stupid not to be in I-AA at that time. Those 5 DII national championships should have been I-AA national championships in my mind. .

I'm not saying you wouldn't have had a chance but it is by no means a given. I looked up the years during which North Dakota State won D-II national titles in the I-AA era and you'd have been up against some pretty stout competition.

In 1983, Southern Illinois won the I-AA national championship game by a score of 43-7. The Salukis only gave up a total of 21 points in three playoff games and 178 points over a 14 game season.

1985 and 1986 were years when Georgia Southern won the I-AA national championship with Tracy Ham at QB. I have no problem with saying I think your Bison would've been underdogs to those teams. Tracey Ham was just too good. In 1986, GSU met Arkansas State in the championship game. ASU had tied an 8-4 Ole Miss team 10-10, played respectably in losing 24-9 to Mississippi State, and beaten Memphis State. But Georgia Southern pounded them 48-21 and it wasn't really that close.

In 1988 it was Furman. Maybe, but no lock.

1990 was Georgia Southern again.

I realize NDSU beat Georgia Southern last year. But that wasn't Georgia Southern as Georgia Southern was when it was dominating I-AA.

I'll be the first to say that I wouldn't rule out the D-II national champ beating the I-AA national champ. In fact, it's happened before. But assuming NDSU would've won national championships in 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, and 1990 if they'd have been in I-AA is a big assumption given how good the I-AA national champs were during those years.

Zoo
August 26th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Did anyone catch the Pittsburgh State and Texas A&M-Commerece game on CSTV yesterday? Pretty good game until Pitt State scored with a few minutes left to make it 28-14.

poly51
August 26th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Hey, I accept that my opinion's not a popular one. You'd feel the same way if Furman had stayed in Division II up until 3 years ago.

Cal Poly was D-II from 1978 until 1993. Some of their best wins came as a D-II school.

11-15-80 1980 D-II National Champion Cal Poly beat 1980 I-AA National Champ Boise State. 23-20.

9-30-78 D-II Cal Poly beat I-A Fresno State 24-12

10-6-79 D-II Cal Poly beat I-A Fresno State 26-0

D-II football can be very good.

JohnStOnge
August 26th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Did anyone catch the Pittsburgh State and Texas A&M-Commerece game on CSTV yesterday? Pretty good game until Pitt State scored with a few minutes left to make it 28-14.

Yes, I watched it. I think a lot of FCS teams could use either of those two quarterbacks.

gophoenix
August 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Here's today's d2 slate of games(if the link doesn't work, click "scores"xthumbsupx )

Anxious to see if Paul Hamilton, of ETSU and Elon fame, can lead Brevard past UVA-Wise.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Moreover, how is PHam going to do when they play Newberry, and his son at QB.

catamount man
August 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Moreover, how is PHam going to do when they play Newberry, and his son at QB.

His kid, as far as I know, is not on the roster. Colby McCoy from Canton, NC is the starting QB. Maybe Paul Hamilton has found a school where he can be really productive. As a BC fan, I hope so.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

gophoenix
August 26th, 2007, 04:18 PM
His kid, as far as I know, is not on the roster. Colby McCoy from Canton, NC is the starting QB. Maybe Paul Hamilton has found a school where he can be really productive. As a BC fan, I hope so.

I wonder if he was cut. I find it really weird that Kye left when his dad was fired to go to Charleston Southern, where he never was listed on a roster. Then was in the news getting to Newberry, where he was never on the roster.

There are rumors on the D2 boards that Kye is going to pop in at Brevard.

All I can say is. WOW. I don't care what any of the App guys said. It was a mistake to hire Hamilton. And I can't believe that man got another job as head coach when he went 6-16 at his last program and 38-41 at ETSU.

But that facts that Kye can't seem to find a job at a bad D-II program should justify that he shouldn't have been starting at a SoCon school.

catamount man
August 26th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I wonder if he was cut. I find it really weird that Kye left when his dad was fired to go to Charleston Southern, where he never was listed on a roster. Then was in the news getting to Newberry, where he was never on the roster.

There are rumors on the D2 boards that Kye is going to pop in at Brevard.

All I can say is. WOW. I don't care what any of the App guys said. It was a mistake to hire Hamilton. And I can't believe that man got another job as head coach when he went 6-16 at his last program and 38-41 at ETSU.

But that facts that Kye can't seem to find a job at a bad D-II program should justify that he shouldn't have been starting at a SoCon school.

Kye aside, I really think Hamilton will do well at a d2 school. Brevard looked better last night than his Elon teams ever did. No offense intended. You guys will do well with Lembo.xthumbsupx

DaveK
August 26th, 2007, 09:14 PM

I agree with the part of your post that I put in bold, but I wonder if you have a theory as to what happened during the years 1991-2003. How did a program that was so dominant from 1983-1990 get so ordinary so quickly? And, just as curious to me is how they're actually better now in I-AA than they were just four short years ago in D2?

Go Bison
August 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I agree with the part of your post that I put in bold, but I wonder if you have a theory as to what happened during the years 1991-2003. How did a program that was so dominant from 1983-1990 get so ordinary so quickly? And, just as curious to me is how they're actually better now in I-AA than they were just four short years ago in D2?

Ordinary to me would mean a .500 team. NDSU was better than a .500 team between 1991-2003. NDSU's winning percentage over this timeframe was .705. Over these years they made the playoffs 6 times. It is true they weren't dominant as they were before but they were better than ordinary as well.
NDSU did get a new coach in 2003. One that has DI experience. They have also expanded their recruiting areas as well.

DaveK
August 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Ordinary to me would mean a .500 team. NDSU was better than a .500 team between 1991-2003. NDSU's winning percentage over this timeframe was .705. Over these years they made the playoffs 6 times. It is true they weren't dominant as they were before but they were better than ordinary as well.
NDSU did get a new coach in 2003. One that has DI experience. They have also expanded their recruiting areas as well.

Perhaps ordinary wasn't the best word to use. I personally would use the word mediocre to describe a .500 team, and figured ordinary would be somewhat better than mediocre but I can see where people might get the wrong idea based on my choice of terminology. Yes they were still better than most other D2 programs during those years, but the drop-off from where they had been was pretty significant in my opinion. I was just asking if anybody had any theories as to how a team could go from winning 5 national championships in 8 years to merely 6 playoff berths in the next 13 years. I think it is very ironic that they were probably better within the context of I-AA last year than they were within the context of D2 any of those last 13 years (1991-2003).

westdakotabison
August 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Recruiting