PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick'em - Week 4

Pard4Life
September 20th, 2021, 07:10 PM
Georgetown (1-1) at Columbia (1-0) (ESPN+) – 1 p.m.
Holy Cross (2-1) at Monmouth (2-1) (ESPN+) – 1 p.m.
Lehigh (0-3) at Colgate (0-3) (ESPN+) – 1 p.m.
Fordham (0-3) at Stony Brook (1-2) (ESPN+) – 3:30 p.m.
Penn (1-0) at Lafayette (0-3) (ESPN+) – 3:30 p.m.

Actually excited about the Penn game this weekend - should be a good one.

Colgate TD
September 20th, 2021, 07:16 PM
Columbia
Holy Cross
Colgate
Stony Brook
Penn

The Cats
September 20th, 2021, 07:25 PM
Georgetown (1-1) at Columbia (1-0)
Holy Cross (2-1) at Monmouth (2-1)
Lehigh (0-3) at Colgate (0-3)
Fordham (0-3) at Stony Brook (1-2)
Penn (1-0) at Lafayette (0-3)

TheValleyRaider
September 20th, 2021, 08:05 PM
That's more like it. For my picking, I mean, not the League. 6-1 last week, including the bounce-back for Holy Cross, up to 13-7 for the year. Can I keep the good times rolling, or will I start to get weird?

Georgetown at Columbia Columbia Okay this one isn't too weird. The Lions have had a pulse in recent years, in some cases even being good. The Hoyas came back to earth a bit (if beating Delaware State is really above the ground) in getting thumped by Harvard. Columbia is closer to Harvard than Delaware State.

Holy Cross at Monmouth Holy Cross Going out on a limb again. Holy Cross is, to me, still the class of the League. Fordham gave the Hawks a good run last week, and if I believe the Crusaders are better, then perhaps they finish the job. Going on the road is tough, but they did just win in the Yale Bowl.

Lehigh at Colgate Colgate Fans of others won't care, but pour one out for the saddest chapter of what had been the League's premier competitive game. How far both have fallen. Taking Colgate to win at home because, no matter where the teams stand, I hate losing to Lehigh (which we have done far too much of recently).

Fordham at Stony Brook Stony Brook I toyed with a Fordham upset here (I told you things might get weird), but I couldn't pull the trigger. The Seawolves might be the worst team Fordham has faced this season, and given how close they came to beating Monmouth, a win on Long Island isn't the craziest idea. Still, at some point I want to see them finish the job before I pick it. Good luck Rams.

Pennsylvania at Lafayette Pennsylvania Speaking of teams I need to see "prove it," hello Leopards. Lafayette came close to New Hampshire this weekend, but are still looking for their first OOC win since beating Central Connecticut in 2018! Just don't believe they can score enough, even if the defense plays well (which they probably will).

Ivytalk
September 20th, 2021, 08:08 PM
Columbia
Holy Cross
Colgate
Stony Brook
Penn
Agreed!

bonarae
September 20th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Columbia
Monmouth - HC is so inconsistent
Colgate
Stony Brook
Penn

DFW HOYA
September 20th, 2021, 09:02 PM
Georgetown at Columbia Columbia Okay this one isn't too weird. The Lions have had a pulse in recent years, in some cases even being good. The Hoyas came back to earth a bit (if beating Delaware State is really above the ground) in getting thumped by Harvard. Columbia is closer to Harvard than Delaware State.

Georgetown's chronic problem in one word: offense. The narrow PL talent pool leaves Georgetown very, very little to recruit impact players on offense.

Since 2012, Georgetown averages just 15.4 points per game. In games since 2012 where Georgetown allows 15 or more points in a game, the Hoyas are 7-56.

Digby
September 20th, 2021, 09:14 PM
Columbia
Monmouth (their season is on the line)
Colgate (because I believe in Gilmore!)
Fordham (they have some guys who can play)
Penn (can’t pick Lafayette until they win one)

If Lafayette is the league favorite, the league favorite may get to October without a win.

Fordham is still my pick. I don’t know why. Does it matter?

GO GILMORE!

NY Crusader 2010
September 21st, 2021, 09:01 AM
Columbia
Holy Cross
Fordham
Lafayette
'Gate

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2021, 11:00 AM
Columbia
Holy Cross
Fordham
Lafayette
'Gate

Thanks for your support 2010!! Look, Penn is always a beast to play but in 2010 we rolled to an upset (I think we were 18 point or more low 20s? dogs) with ease. Im hoping the Pards win this week. If they play well they deserve it, turning in really good performances against Air Force, William and Mary and last week UNH. The LC QB in that UNH game was starting his very first game in college, one AuShaun Davis. I was very impressed with his reads, poise and throwing capability. Our issue has been a lack of a running game. I noted Simpson was on sideline whole game. We need to get that component unleashed. Please let this be the week.

kdinva
September 21st, 2021, 01:30 PM
Georgetown 21 at Columbia 27
Holy Cross 24 at Monmouth 34
Lehigh 17 at Colgate 24
Fordham 20 at Stony Brook 34
Penn 27 at Lafayette 16

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2021, 02:14 PM
This weekend will mark the 90th iteration of the Penn vs Lafayette rivalry, dating back to 1882. And may I be the first to say,

Puck Fenn.

Ivytalk
September 22nd, 2021, 05:22 AM
This weekend will mark the 90th iteration of the Penn vs Lafayette rivalry, dating back to 1882. And may I be the first to say,

Puck Fenn.
Maybe the first this year, Bogie!xsmiley_wix

Pards Rule
September 22nd, 2021, 07:44 AM

Puck Fenn.

1882 was Lafayettes first year playing college football too!

Leopard Loyalist
September 22nd, 2021, 11:15 AM

Puck Fenn.

Actually it is the 92d iteration. Penn is our third most-played opponent, after Lehigh (156) and Bucknell (98).
But I second your sentiment.

Pards Rule
September 22nd, 2021, 02:28 PM
Actually it is the 92d iteration. Penn is our third most-played opponent, after Lehigh (156) and Bucknell (98).
But I second your sentiment.
Hey LL i have been watching Pard football since 1980 my frosh year. I never ever recall seeing or reading/hearing LC returning opening kickoff for TD nor for that matter opponent! Can you give me the last time for each occurence?

Bogus Megapardus
September 22nd, 2021, 04:59 PM
Monmouth (-7) vs Holy Cross

Colgate (-6) vs Lehigh

Columbia (-14.5) vs Georgetown

Penn (-3.5) at Lafayette

Stony Brook (-9.5) vs Fordham

Yale (-10.5) vs Cornell

Princeton (-35.5) vs Stetson

Dartmouth (-10.5) vs Sacred Heart

Harvard (-15) vs Brown

Waiting for Hero Sports to publish the o/u.

Leopard Loyalist
September 22nd, 2021, 07:08 PM
Hey LL i have been watching Pard football since 1980 my frosh year. I never ever recall seeing or reading/hearing LC returning opening kickoff for TD nor for that matter opponent! Can you give me the last time for each occurence?

It was in the game notes last week and mentioned in the broadcast. J.J. Younger did it against Monmouth in 2018 (95 yds.) Albany did it against us in 2019.

Pards Rule
September 23rd, 2021, 07:21 AM
It was in the game notes last week and mentioned in the broadcast. J.J. Younger did it against Monmouth in 2018 (95 yds.) Albany did it against us in 2019.
Thank you..I was going to go to that Albany game..glad I didnt!

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2021, 01:35 PM
Maybe the first this year, Bogie!xsmiley_wix

I was thinking more, "first in this thread;" my guess is the spoonerism dates back generations.

Actually it is the 92d iteration.

In a prior life, I must have graduated from Lehigh with a Masters in counting.

caribbeanhen
September 23rd, 2021, 02:21 PM
Fordham pulls upset over the Stony Brook!

Pard4Life
September 23rd, 2021, 08:08 PM

Puck Fenn.

That look when someone says Puck Fenn:

Leopard Loyalist
September 24th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Georgetown (1-1) at Columbia (1-0) (ESPN+) – 1 p.m.
Holy Cross (2-1) at Monmouth (2-1) (ESPN+) – 1 p.m.
Lehigh (0-3) at Colgate (0-3) (ESPN+) – 1 p.m.
Fordham (0-3) at Stony Brook (1-2) (ESPN+) – 3:30 p.m.
Penn (1-0) at Lafayette (0-3) (ESPN+) – 3:30 p.m.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2021, 04:45 PM
I have only one over/under to report. The o/u on Penn (-3.5) at Lafayette is 38.5.

Leopard Loyalist
September 24th, 2021, 07:43 PM
I have only one over/under to report. The o/u on Penn (-3.5) at Lafayette is 38.5.

Given our offensive prowess, that would suggest a lot of points for Penn. :(

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 24th, 2021, 09:09 PM
Columbia 24 Georgetown 14 - I'll take the home team to figure out away to manufacture a win...
Holy Cross 31 Monmouth 28 - I'm having a hard time getting a read on either team. Both could legitimately be Top 20 level or fringe Top 40. I picked against Chesney and company last week. I won't do it two weeks in a row...
Fordham 30 Stony Brook 17 - This is a game the Rams need to win if they want to be taken seriously....
Penn 23 Lafayette 16 - Can the 'Pards offense generate enough points to win against a decent (or better) team? I have my doubts...
Colgate 27 Lehigh 6 - While Brenneman has struggled mightily at least he's proven he can win. Lehigh has nothing on offense right now to hang their hats. Things are about to get REALLY ugly on South Mountain. It's a shame I have no desire to make the trip to Hamilton. I'd love to walk 9 at Seven Oaks after the game...

Pards Rule
September 25th, 2021, 07:46 AM
Did I see somewhere LC-Penn on ESPN + at 3:30?

KPSUL
September 25th, 2021, 09:29 AM
Did I see somewhere LC-Penn on ESPN + at 3:30?

Yes, it's listed on ESPN+. I don't really know much about Penn, but during the past few decades I doubt they have had many years when their football team was better than Air Force, UNH or W&M. The Lafayette defense played every bit as tough as the Towson or Stony Brook defense vs UNH. Your Freshman QB looked like he can play well at this level. The Pards have talent this year and they could, and maybe should, win this game.

Pards Rule
September 25th, 2021, 10:19 AM
Yes, it's listed on ESPN+. I don't really know much about Penn, but during the past few decades I doubt they have had many years when their football team was better than Air Force, UNH or W&M. The Lafayette defense played every bit as tough as the Towson or Stony Brook defense vs UNH. Your Freshman QB looked like he can play well at this level. The Pards have talent this year and they could, and maybe should, win this game.

Thanks Keith! Im optimistic we can! Hey good luck at Heinz Field vs Pitt!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 25th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Lehigh INT on their first series, Colgate makes them pay with a quick drive. Lehigh looks well prepared....

'Gate 7-0 13:20 1Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 25th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Hopefully Colgate gives Sterrett no choice but to fire Gilmore. This has to end. This is rock bottom. Lehigh has quit...

Colgate 14-0 8:38 1Q

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2021, 12:47 PM
Lehigh 0
Colgate 14
End 1st

Colgate looks the best it has all season. Playing Lehigh, apparently, will do that. An early pick for a short field and a nice dive both copped off by TD runs give the Raiders the two-score lead. I'd like to see the Raiders finish this game strong.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Georgetown 7
Columbia 21
11:38 2nd

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 25th, 2021, 01:18 PM
TD 'Gate!

'Gate 24-3 4:06 2Q

Total Yards
Colgate 248
Lehigh 42

How much worse can it get? Honestly?

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Lehigh 3
Colgate 24
Halftime

That was pretty cathartic. Finding a lot of space to run the ball, playing physically on both sides. It helps that Lehigh is a shell of itself, but still feels good to finally see some execution.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Georgetown 17
Columbia 21
Halftime

Hoyas scored on each of its last three full possessions of the half. But the defense looks shaky.

Pards Rule
September 25th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Thanks for your support 2010!! Look, Penn is always a beast to play but in 2010 we rolled to an upset (I think we were 18 point or more low 20s? dogs) with ease. Im hoping the Pards win this week. If they play well they deserve it, turning in really good performances against Air Force, William and Mary and last week UNH. The LC QB in that UNH game was starting his very first game in college, one AuShaun Davis. I was very impressed with his reads, poise and throwing capability. Our issue has been a lack of a running game. I noted Simpson was on sideline whole game. We need to get that component unleashed. Please let this be the week.

Crusader2010 I see you flipped on us in the Ivy thread. Anyways I was wrong on the year above it was 2011 on Sept 17. Andrew Shoop (whatever happened?) threw 4 TD pass (one to Mark Ross, what a receiver he was!) as Lafayette won 37-12.

Pards Rule
September 25th, 2021, 02:12 PM
Meanwhile out across the state in Heinz Field, a final. Pitt 77 UNH 7

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2021, 02:26 PM
Lehigh 3
Colgate 27
End 3rd

This one has settled down. One big play from Colgate set up a FG, otherwise it's been pretty uneventful. Lehigh's offense looks toothless, would be nice to finish this one strong.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 25th, 2021, 02:29 PM
Stats after 3 quarters

First Downs
'Gate 16
Lehigh 3

Passing Yards
'Gate 152
Lehigh 24

Rushing
'Gate 215
Lehigh 36

Total Yards
'Gate 367
Lehigh 60

Lehigh one of the 10 worst teams in FCS?

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Stats after 3 quarters
Lehigh one of the 10 worst teams in FCS?

The PL may have three candidates for the bottom 10.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 25th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Colgate 30 Lehigh 3 7:34 4Q

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Lehigh 3
Colgate
Final

From Colgate's perspective, it was nice to see some things working today. Caveats about the level of competition aside, the offense was able to move the ball effectively, especially on the ground. Cox had some nice runs, building a good finish last week. Might he be the single runner we usually like to feature? Brenneman got going on the ground too. 3rd down is still a problem, only 3 for 12. Defense did a nice job getting pressure and stopping plays before they went anywhere. Lehigh went 0 for 11 on 3rd down, which is a nice follow up to the last two weeks. 3rd down defense has been a strength, only allowing 20% conversion against FCS foes. Trip to Georgetown next, hopefully this win gives more momentum as the calendar turns.

Digby
September 25th, 2021, 03:40 PM
Never Doubt Gilmore!
Gimme Gimme Gilmore!

We know what he has done.
We know what he can do.
We know what he will do.

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2021, 03:50 PM
OK, who had this on their PL bingo card?

--Georgetown has almost 500 yards total offense against an Ivy League opponent.
--A QB making his first start throws for 368.
--The Hoyas hold the ball over 36 minutes...and never led in the game.

Final: 35-24.

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2021, 03:53 PM

Turnovers?
Penalties?

Digby
September 25th, 2021, 03:54 PM
Lehigh / Bucknell has taken on new importance. The basement battle should come down to the Bison and the Gilmore Guys.

Digby
September 25th, 2021, 03:57 PM
Lafayette 10 - Penn 7. It looks like Garrett is sticking with a QB, Davis. The quality of the league this year may be a factor. He can afford to give him time.

Digby
September 25th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Lehigh has not scored a touchdown in four games. Will Gilmore be the first twice-fired-in-season PL coach?
I can’t recall anybody else even doing it once.
GO GILMORE!

Fordham
September 25th, 2021, 04:02 PM
Way to go HC!!

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Turnovers?
Penalties?

Georgetown gave up two INT's, but one was at the end of the game and had no impact on the outcome, along with 47 yards in penalties.

Columbia had one fumble and 30 yards in penalties.

Sader87
September 25th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Looks like the PL might have a pulse after all:

HC ovah BiG South champs
FU ovah a CAA program
LC ovah an Ivy...

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Lafayette 24 Penn 14.

As our beloved play-by-play guy, Gary Laubach, would say, "Oh, my!" xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 25th, 2021, 05:51 PM
Congrats Lafayette!!

The PL actually has three pretty good teams; Holy Cross, Fordham and Lafayette.

The Boogie Down
September 25th, 2021, 05:52 PM
The reports of Patsie's death were greatly exaggerated.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2021, 06:00 PM
A telling statistic -

Lafayette: 141 rushing yards on 42 attempts

Penn: 11 rushing yards on 27 attempts

Fordham
September 25th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Congrats Pards! It’ll be a great first PL matchup for both teams.

We played outstanding on both sides of the ball today. Great coaching as well

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2021, 06:11 PM
Congrats Pards! It’ll be a great first PL matchup for both teams.

We played outstanding on both sides of the ball today. Great coaching as well

Congrats to the Rams and their fans on today's win over Stony Brook. I hope Fordham fans can make the short trek to Easton because next week's Fordham - Lafayette game should be quite a spectacle.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2021, 06:15 PM

The Hoyas play exciting football. Win or lose, it's almost always great fun to watch.

Lehigh'98
September 25th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Congrats to HC, Fordham, Lafayette and to a lesser extent Colgate(only due to your hapless opponent). HC looks like a top 15-20 team.

Pards Rule
September 25th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Congrats Rams on a great win! And Pards today too! And HC over Monmouth decisively!

Digby
September 25th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Lehigh: Hire Frank Tavani!

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Pretty good day for the League xthumbsupx

Pards Rule
September 26th, 2021, 07:50 AM
Lehigh: Hire Frank Tavani!

He's available. So is Bill Russo!

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty good day for the League xthumbsupx

INDEED!!!

aceinthehole
September 26th, 2021, 08:00 AM
Congrats to HC, Fordham, Lafayette and to a lesser extent Colgate(only due to your hapless opponent). HC looks like a top 15-20 team.

Really? So how should we rank Merrimack?

Lehigh'98
September 26th, 2021, 08:35 AM

Would rank them top 20.

Digby
September 26th, 2021, 09:03 AM
The first website page for Lehigh sports doesn’t have a football summary. A little odd?
Meanwhile the appointment of Gilmore’s OC or DC is hardly going to inspire fans in case TG is fired, which should be happening about now. It probably won’t.
Getting Lehigh / Lafayette tickets will be easy this year.

caribbeanhen
September 26th, 2021, 10:41 AM

shocking but true