A look at the stadiums of the Missouri Valley

https://youtu.be/BFRgMF-Zr6Y

ysubigred
September 12th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Cool thanks GAD [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Laker
September 12th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Wow. I hadn't really thought about how many domed stadiums there were. And Indiana State's stadium does look pretty weird.

MSUWineGuy
September 12th, 2021, 01:50 PM
For what it’s worth. MO State has hired and architect and is undergoing a feasibility study to improve our west side. Sounds like we may remove some seats but add major “premium” options and improve the overall fan experience.

POD Knows
September 12th, 2021, 03:55 PM
The Alerus Center has about 12K for football, yea, it is bigger than the Fargo Dome for football. Freaking foreigner.

clenz
September 12th, 2021, 06:35 PM
Here's what I've noticed watching games around the FCS the last few years on ESPN+

They Valley, top to bottom, is heads and shoulders in front of every other conference for facilities. Yes, ISUb and WIU are pretty bad stadiums......by Valley standards. They would still be at/near the top of a number of conferences. They are bottom 2 in the Valley but top half even in places like the Big Sky or CAA.

You can **** on domes all you want, the sightlines, camera angles, lack of track, lack of residential neighborhoods right behind each endzone, etc. make a massive difference in viewing a game.

We really are spoiled in this conference. I think it shows in quality of football top to bottom as well.

There are other schools with great facilities. I'm not saying they don't exist outside of the Valley. However, a conference to conference look shows just how nice off we all really are. It's also not shocking that those with the nicer facilities in other conferences tend to be the best programs in those conferences.

Sonic98
September 12th, 2021, 07:27 PM
Nice. Only thing I don't like about some college stadiums is some have very steep steps

Libertine
September 12th, 2021, 08:02 PM
And Indiana State's stadium does look pretty weird.

ISUb's stadium sits in the middle of a city park and there's a walking path outside the chain link fence just behind the visiting team's bench area. It's not uncommon to see people walking their dogs along the path, complete with all the things that dogs do when they're out for a walk. <inserts poop emoji> :)

SDFS
September 12th, 2021, 09:24 PM
Here's what I've noticed watching games around the FCS the last few years on ESPN+

They Valley, top to bottom, is heads and shoulders in front of every other conference for facilities. Yes, ISUb and WIU are pretty bad stadiums......by Valley standards. They would still be at/near the top of a number of conferences. They are bottom 2 in the Valley but top half even in places like the Big Sky or CAA.

You can **** on domes all you want, the sightlines, camera angles, lack of track, lack of residential neighborhoods right behind each endzone, etc. make a massive difference in viewing a game.

We really are spoiled in this conference. I think it shows in quality of football top to bottom as well.

There are other schools with great facilities. I'm not saying they don't exist outside of the Valley. However, a conference to conference look shows just how nice off we all really are. It's also not shocking that those with the nicer facilities in other conferences tend to be the best programs in those conferences.

In addition to gameday facilities. The practice facilities in this conference are some of the best at the FCS level - YSU, SDSU, NDSU (being built), UND (Athletic Village in progress, and plans for Phase II), and USD all have great facilities. It looks like UNI is in progress with a new outdoor practice field (Goschke Outdoor Practice Facility). Not sure about the other schools in the conference.

ysubigred
September 12th, 2021, 09:29 PM
In addition to gameday facilities. The practice facilities in this conference are some of the best at the FCS level - YSU, SDSU, NDSU (being built), UND (Athletic Village in progress, and plans for Phase II), and USD all have great facilities. It looks like UNI is in progress with a new outdoor practice field (Goschke Outdoor Practice Facility). Not sure about the other schools in the conference.YSU's indoor practice facility is nicer than the stadium.. xtwocentsx

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210913/933903f02ea3f4abb27cc1d508f51005.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

clenz
September 12th, 2021, 09:36 PM
In addition to gameday facilities. The practice facilities in this conference are some of the best at the FCS level - YSU, SDSU, NDSU (being built), UND (Athletic Village in progress, and plans for Phase II), and USD all have great facilities. It looks like UNI is in progress with a new outdoor practice field (Goschke Outdoor Practice Facility). Not sure about the other schools in the conference.
The new outdoor facility is going to be big for UNI. When I say our practice fields were embarrassing before this, it doesn't describe how bad it is. It was essentially equal to a cow pasture. Hardly grass anymore, not flat, holes all over, etc. There is a reason our players got so banged up in fall camp with knees/ankles and then shoulders. The team practiced at a stadium in Waterloo this fall - field turf - while the new XL field is being finished and the team got through camp completely healthy. That hasn't happened in years. Coaches and athletic trainers both said it is almost exclusively due to the turf vs what had been used.

No need to UNI to build an IPF. Unlike NDSU and UND, UNI owns the dome. The turf stays down from mid-summer until the season is over (outside of one week a year when there is a craft show in the dome, but the team is on the road that week). If they need to practice indoor due to weather/whatever reason they just go to the stadium rather than the practice field area.

I'll also say there is some very exciting things coming for the Dome itself soon. A few Ts need crossed and Is dotted but the dome is going to get a pretty damn nice facelift I've heard.

SDFS
September 12th, 2021, 09:45 PM

Big Sky has some nice facilities - bottom four (PSU, ISU, UNC and EWU) need major work. But, the rest (UM, MSU, WSU, UI, Cal Poly, UC Davis, NAU, Sac St) are pretty solid and I would easily rank above WIU and ISU-B.

SDFS
September 12th, 2021, 09:51 PM
The new outdoor facility is going to be big for UNI. When I say our practice fields were embarrassing before this, it doesn't describe how bad it is. It was essentially equal to a cow pasture. Hardly grass anymore, not flat, holes all over, etc. There is a reason our players got so banged up in fall camp with knees/ankles and then shoulders. The team practiced at a stadium in Waterloo this fall - field turf - while the new XL field is being finished and the team got through camp completely healthy. That hasn't happened in years. Coaches and athletic trainers both said it is almost exclusively due to the turf vs what had been used.

No need to UNI to build an IPF. Unlike NDSU and UND, UNI owns the dome. The turf stays down from mid-summer until the season is over (outside of one week a year when there is a craft show in the dome, but the team is on the road that week). If they need to practice indoor due to weather/whatever reason they just go to the stadium rather than the practice field area.

I'll also say there is some very exciting things coming for the Dome itself soon. A few Ts need crossed and Is dotted but the dome is going to get a pretty damn nice facelift I've heard.

That's good to hear, I will need to make the trek down from the Cities to watch a game. But, I agree - the top 7/8 schools in MVFC are investing in football and that is good to see. It just raises the talent level in the conference.

clenz
September 12th, 2021, 09:52 PM
Big Sky has some nice facilities - bottom four (PSU, ISU, UNC and EWU) need major work. But, the rest (UM, MSU, WSU, UI, Cal Poly, UC Davis, NAU, Sac St) are pretty solid and I would easily rank above WIU and ISU-B.
Did I watch a game at a different Sac State facility last night?

It was WIU level, at best.

Any stadium with a track gets a MASSIVE deduction.

Sac, like WIU, is just a bigger HS stadium and not even a super nice one at that.

The HS in my town

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/LSQJwMjz-Dg0ohafZSr_56VEinM08-tohCBTwOLt8-R0lHuWwfe3iFnacgy88etsFxXuTmYo5FcVhcv-lVf8kLuHm60DOYESXV4FVEIDi3KoOaDazggWhTdEqtOGMolO09 fGVY0
https://rdgusa.com/img/gallery/2014_08_28_114328_65598900/original.jpg

WIU and Sac State
https://dailytrackpic.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/hornet-stadium-2.png

https://khqa.com/resources/media/2030d90c-bdd3-4cf8-8f1f-3839b39485a7-large16x9_EC_WlW9X4AAILYc.jpg?1566941254788

Both are roughly twice the size of my school districts field but with less people in them, older bleachers, and a worse press box

SDFS
September 12th, 2021, 10:00 PM
Did I watch a game at a different Sac State facility last night?

It was WIU level, at best.

I was on the fence with that one a bit, but they just built a new field house in the end zone and they have made several other improvements. I think new field turf this year. So, I have them trending in the right direction and don't let the TV production sway your opinion too much.

DFW HOYA
September 12th, 2021, 10:52 PM
There was talk a few years ago about an on-campus stadium proposed for the Indiana State campus, on or near 7th Street. What happened?

clenz
September 12th, 2021, 11:03 PM
There was talk a few years ago about an on-campus stadium proposed for the Indiana State campus, on or near 7th Street. What happened?
My guess is money. Especially given they weren't even talking dollars when it was shown to the public. It was more a "build it and they will come situation" hoping to entice people to donate money if they showed what it could go to.

COVID has killed a lot of projects at smaller schools like the FCS. Most of the projects killed the general public never knew about but were close to being finalized before COVID.

It wasn't even 2 years ago it was being talked about

ISU dreams big with Sycamore Sports District | News | tribstar.com (https://www.tribstar.com/news/isu-dreams-big-with-sycamore-sports-district/article_80119c14-eba5-11e9-b828-b7453f8503b7.html)

The plan involved four proposed facilities improvements:
• A new softball stadium that would be part of a combined baseball-softball complex near the northwest corner of Third Street and Locust.
• A new basketball practice facility, located at the corner of First Street and Cherry Street, for both the men's and women's programs.
• An 8,000-seat, on-campus football stadium, located at the northeast corner of First Street and Chestnut Street.
• An additional plan to renovate Memorial Stadium, football's current facility. Capacity would also be in the 8,000-seat range.

Costs remain a question
The vision had one crucial element missing from the conversation — the proposed cost. All parties made it clear that the presentation was aspirational in nature. None of the proposed athletics facilities improvements have any funding allocated to them or have any current plan to having funding provided for them. The state does not provide funds for athletic improvements as Hulman Center was considered a civic project.
When asked about the specific cost involved with the entire project or individual pieces of it? Curtis, Clinkscales and others refused to comment on specific numbers both to the media privately and publicly to parties who asked questions during the event.
"It's not a fundraising plan, there will be no dollars discussed, it's not a commitment to the details you'll see in this presentation because those are likely to evolve. What this is, is a big, bold dream," Curtis said in her opening remarks.

While costs were not provided, the stakes as far as what the project hopes to attain were articulated clearly from the athletics point of view.

"These projects are crucial if we're going to stay competitive in the Missouri Valley Conference and the ever-changing landscape of college athletics," said Clinkscales, who also noted that Thursday's presentation is the "Cadillac" version of what ISU wants to accomplish.
Clinkscales later explained why it was important to make these proposals public, regardless of whether money has been allocated for them or not.
"I want to follow something from the Elevate campaign [ISU athletics' 2018 fundraising effort] that keeps people excited about what's going on. It's always 'give mode' so this is something that came out of that. Looking across the conference? After four years, you see where you are. I'm thankful for what we have; we still have a ways to go to get where we need to be to be on par with our peer institutions. We have to have a vision we aspire to."

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tribstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/c5/8c51d5f4-eba3-11e9-924d-174998515e91/5d9fa037c723f.image.png?resize=1200%2C675
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tribstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/30/83007474-eba3-11e9-b6e3-bf4faa8fa91c/5d9fa0282f8c6.image.png?resize=1200%2C675

mvfcfan
September 13th, 2021, 06:32 AM
ISU needs to just add about 4 or 5 thousand seats on the other side and that would make the place look a lot better. Even aluminum bleachers would do the trick. Memorial Stadium isn't modern, but it isn't a bad stadium. The seating on only one side and the little hill on the North side just make the place look way worse than it really is.

ISU has no money for any of these projects. They just renovated the Hulman Center (basketball arena) only because the state for whatever reason gave them the $50M to do it. An on campus stadium will never happen. We may get some kind of Memorial Stadium renovation at some point, but I doubt it.

As embarrassing as it is to say, there's probably a better chance of us dropping the sport or joining the Pioneer League, than us ever seeing a new stadium.

As I said they need to just add some seats on the north side and be done with it, and quit coming up with ideas that everyone knows they can't afford.

And one last thing. Many of you may not notice this, but part of their renovation idea (see Clenz post above) is removing the top 20 rows on the current side. Our stadium seats 12000 now and after this renovation that will probably never happen it would seat 8000. That should tell everyone how incompetent ISU's athletic department is. It's completely pathetic.

ST_Lawson
September 13th, 2021, 04:30 PM

We have some large grassy areas...that's about it. They were fields originally laid out when the Rams were using Macomb as their summer training camp (https://www.google.com/maps/@40.474041,-90.6844959,257m/data=!3m1!1e3), but that's been nearly 20 years since they were here, so that gives you an idea of how old those are

ISU needs to just add about 4 or 5 thousand seats on the other side and that would make the place look a lot better. Even aluminum bleachers would do the trick. Memorial Stadium isn't modern, but it isn't a bad stadium. The seating on only one side and the little hill on the North side just make the place look way worse than it really is.

I drove through Terre Haute back in July and made a point of driving through town and seeing the stadium (I've never been there before). I agree, the stuff that is there looks fairly decent...just a bit lopsided. You get some stands on the other side (or go the Illinois State route and make your "home side" into your "visitor's side" and build a new bigger "home side" on the currently empty side) and it'd look a lot better.

Not that I have a ton of room to talk with our 70+ year old crumbling west side and cardboard pressbox.

clenz
September 13th, 2021, 05:18 PM
New practice field ready to go. Finished touches on the electricity for the lights is all that’s left afaik
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210913/c9c498dc2df638c8ae76ce374dcb4a37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
September 14th, 2021, 10:05 AM
MVFC definitely has some of the nicest stadiums in the FCS. Especially since USD and SDSU renovated their stadiums.

JayJ79
September 14th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Nice. Only thing I don't like about some college stadiums is some have very steep steps
steep steps mean that the higher up seats are closer to the field and have better views. Better than them being farther away from the field

as far as the video, why does it show and asterisk note that YSU's stadium has the "2nd" biggest capacity in the conference? whose stadium seats more?

and the comment about MSU being the "only school in the Missouri Valley Conference ACTUALLY from Missouri", while true, isn't really on point. Springfield isn't actually in the Valley of the Missouri River. The only school in the conference that is would be USD (and actually, that might technically be on a bluff overlooking the valley, instead of in the valley itself, but I'm not 100% certain on the topography of the campus, and besides that is getting a bit TOO literal)

SDFS
September 14th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Nice looking practice field for UNI.

ST_Lawson
September 14th, 2021, 03:10 PM
steep steps mean that the higher up seats are closer to the field and have better views. Better than them being farther away from the field

as far as the video, why does it show and asterisk note that YSU's stadium has the "2nd" biggest capacity in the conference? whose stadium seats more?

and the comment about MSU being the "only school in the Missouri Valley Conference ACTUALLY from Missouri", while true, isn't really on point. Springfield isn't actually in the Valley of the Missouri River. The only school in the conference that is would be USD (and actually, that might technically be on a bluff overlooking the valley, instead of in the valley itself, but I'm not 100% certain on the topography of the campus, and besides that is getting a bit TOO literal)

I think that the asterisk was because whoever put the video together, happened to see the wikipedia article about the Alerus Center (North Dakota) that says this: "It can seat more than 21,000 people at one time, though only 12,283 is its capacity for football." and ignore the "capacity for football" part and just went with the 21k capacity.

Right, it is supposed to be essentially the Missouri River valley...not a valley in the state of Missouri. If you go ahead and include the watershed of the Missouri River, that gets you this area (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Missouri_River_basin_map.png). That would include South Dakota and South Dakota State at least, and almost/barely include Missouri State. The Mississippi River watershed (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Mississippiriver-new-01.png) would actually include every member of the conference except for the North Dakota schools, which are part of the "Red River of the North" watershed.
Problem is, there already is a Mississippi Valley Conference (https://www.mississippivalleyiowa.org) and Mississippi Valley State University (https://mvsusports.com/) (Delta Devils in the SWAC), so there'd be quite a bit of confusion if they tried to change the name now, I think.

AmsterBison
September 14th, 2021, 04:26 PM

Yeah, way better sightlines with steep seating. It feels like you are a mile from the field in a lot of stadiums like the Rose Bowl. And I remember that at the old UC Davis stadium the rise was so shallow that our players on the sidelines blocked the view of a lot of the field.

But, yeah, whenever I head up the double-letter rows at the FargoDome it feels like I should establish a base camp before tackling the summit with help from a sherpa.

clenz
September 14th, 2021, 04:29 PM
I think that the asterisk was because whoever put the video together, happened to see the wikipedia article about the Alerus Center (North Dakota) that says this: "It can seat more than 21,000 people at one time, though only 12,283 is its capacity for football." and ignore the "capacity for football" part and just went with the 21k capacity.

Right, it is supposed to be essentially the Missouri River valley...not a valley in the state of Missouri. If you go ahead and include the watershed of the Missouri River, that gets you this area (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Missouri_River_basin_map.png). That would include South Dakota and South Dakota State at least, and almost/barely include Missouri State. The Mississippi River watershed (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Mississippiriver-new-01.png) would actually include every member of the conference except for the North Dakota schools, which are part of the "Red River of the North" watershed.
Problem is, there already is a Mississippi Valley Conference (https://www.mississippivalleyiowa.org) and Mississippi Valley State University (https://mvsusports.com/) (Delta Devils in the SWAC), so there'd be quite a bit of confusion if they tried to change the name now, I think.
And yet people would complaing about Montana State being a Missouri Valley team even though they'd be in the Missouri Valley and Idaho State is as close/closer to the Valley than a few Valley schools.

As far as the steepness, Jay nailed it. I can sit in row 44 of the UNIDome and have an amazing sightline unobstructed by anyone in front of me (even if the dome was magically sold out). It's far better than say a place like Michigan where row 44 is legitimately 40 yards from the field. 40 yards from the sideline of the UNIDome gets you outside of the stadium.

This is a photo from the top of the UNIDome
https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/C4E16AQEEuan5xmgX9Q/profile-displaybackgroundimage-shrink_200_800/0/1538494895942?e=1637193600&v=beta&t=8d4FHuNMwOxkmm-RZ68wFyCmERN41oxyjQ2CXzh0C6g

clenz
September 14th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Yeah, way better sightlines with steep seating. It feels like you are a mile from the field in a lot of stadiums like the Rose Bowl. And I remember that at the old UC Davis stadium the rise was so shallow that our players on the sidelines blocked the view of a lot of the field.

But, yeah, whenever I head up the double-letter rows at the FargoDome it feels like I should establish a base camp before tackling the summit with help from a Sherpa.
The nice thing with the UNIDome compared to the Fargo dome is the entrance to the "bowl" from the concourse is right in the middle due to the Dome being built into a hill. You enter both sides at something like row 24

The downside is if you aren't high enough PSC donor level to park on the west side of the dome and you park and enter from the south you have to go up about 25 steps to get to the concourse level to be able to enter the seating area

You can see the doors on each side of the score board and then you have a set of stairs (marked by the purple wall on the top left of the photo) top get up to the entrance level.
https://gray-kcrg-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/etLTb0zxuu7VOC8Xo0tBXWEdswM=/1200x675/smart/filters:quality(85)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gray/E7NK6WFT5BP4PPS2GQQNL37YAY.jpg

And if you enter from the east from crossing over, or under Hudson Road, you have a bunch of steps to go up just to get to entry level

https://i.imgur.com/gKCKuAd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jm14EWx.png
http://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/usa/uni_dome/uni_dome05.jpg
http://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/usa/uni_dome/uni_dome05.jpg