PDA

View Full Version : Robert Morris Gets QB Transfer from Grambling

rmutv
August 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Okay Grambling fans, time to offer some insight. Robert Morris University has a quarterback named Desmond Brently in camp. He transfered from Grambling and will be eligible next year.

Anyone have any insight into Brently?

MACHIAVELLI
August 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Desmond Brentley Highlights (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8QVL5iegy1g)

He is a good kid. I have spoken with him on many occasions. I wondered what happened to him. He has a strong arm. I saw him throw the ball 50 yards on his knees. He got caught up in a number QB's that were ahead of him with 2 years left here at THE ICON. He had a better arm than all of our QB from last year, but they had more experience. I am glad he is on somewhere. I wish him the best. I will be checking on his progress.

Calif_Colonial
August 18th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Desmond Brentley Highlights (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8QVL5iegy1g)

He is a good kid. I have spoken with him on many occasions. I wondered what happened to him. He has a strong arm. I saw him throw the ball 50 yards on his knees. He got caught up in a number QB's that were ahead of him with 2 years left here at THE ICON. He had a better arm than all of our QB from last year, but they had more experience. I am glad he is on somewhere. I wish him the best. I will be checking on his progress.

Thanks for the YouTube highlight video. It is easy to see why Coach Walton would like this young man on the team. He's an athlete that's for sure. I wish him the best, frankly, I wish he was on the sidelines this year. :D

MACHIAVELLI
August 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
We will regret letting him go.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Another impact transfer coming to a NEC program now that they have scholarships... xeyebrowx

rmutv
August 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Another impact transfer coming to a NEC program now that they have scholarships... xeyebrowx

Small, comfortable schools with some impressive programs, often located near some pretty large media markets. So, not that surprising...and, in the case of Mr. Brently, he's coming back home. He's a Pittsburgh native, went to high school in Pittsburgh, but Grambling must have offered him a better deal initially to play and study. Something changed and he decided to come back home.

He'll certainly have the chance to push for a job the next two years.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Small, comfortable schools with some impressive programs, often located near some pretty large media markets. So, not that surprising...and, in the case of Mr. Brently, he's coming back home. He's a Pittsburgh native, went to high school in Pittsburgh, but Grambling must have offered him a better deal initially to play and study. Something changed and he decided to come back home.

He'll certainly have the chance to push for a job the next two years.

Sounds similar to Justise Hairston last year... You'd be surprised how many kids get homesick being away from friends/family and want to play at home. But my point is five years ago maybe RMU doesn't have a full scholarship to offer him, and he ends up going somewhere else, suffering in Grambling or dropping out of football and heading home.

rmutv
August 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Sounds similar to Justise Hairston last year... You'd be surprised how many kids get homesick being away from friends/family and want to play at home. But my point is five years ago maybe RMU doesn't have a full scholarship to offer him, and he ends up going somewhere else, suffering in Grambling or dropping out of football and heading home.

Very true. I doubt he was offered a full scholarship. I believe RMU is spreading their scholarships out across the classes and across the players. But there was likely some sort of financial assistance.

Ruler 79
August 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Same thing with our O-lineman from Boston College. He was a local product and a Super Prep kid that went away to BC on a full ride and got home sick. It sounds like the kid from Grambling is a winner. Good for you guys.

DetroitFlyer
August 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
San Diego, Butler, Drake and Jacksonville of the PFL have all reported FBS transfers this year. I think that in virtually every case, the kids were from the general area around the school and decided that their opportunites to play and play closer to home warranted the transfer. Picking a school to attend and picking a school to play football at is very complicated. We hear the term, "finding the right fit" used again and again, and it seems to be very true these days. Scholarship money will ALWAYS be a huge factor, but it is not always the only factor a kid and family use to determine where to attend. A combination of aid and the right environment and location can land FBS quality athletes at PFL schools. Of course the same is true for any FCS conference.

The NEC might have a slight advantage in that if a truly outstanding kid like Justise Hairston becomes available, a full scholarship can be offered. ( I'm guessing that he received a full ride to CCSU ). Even so, CCSU did not win the NEC.... Still, the pub if he makes an NFL team should help CCSU going forward and it was well worth the full scholly if that was the case. What say you CCSU fans?

As was pointed out, Robert Morris is thought to not be providing many "full rides". Thirty scholarships spread out over a number of kids, might not be much more aid than a typical PFL school's aid package. ( And Robert Morris may not even be at the 30 level yet ).

Maybe I'll get to see this new Robert Morris player in Dayton next year! ( Assuming that we are able to keep Robert Morris on our schedule ). Looks like a very good pickup!

rmutv
August 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
As was pointed out, Robert Morris is thought to not be providing many "full rides". Thirty scholarships spread out over a number of kids, might not be much more aid than a typical PFL school's aid package. ( And Robert Morris may not even be at the 30 level yet ).

Don't take my comment about spreading the scholarship money out as ending the idea of providing full rides. I don't know when Brently was brought it, as he wasn't announced during the normal recruit announcements, but then again, RMU does a poor job of announcing transfers.

Perhaps the coaching staff had Brently ready to go a while back and it was never announced, a very real possibility. It's possible that darn near close to a full scholarship, or a full one, was waived in front of him as well. We have no way of knowing.

As far as RMU being at the 30 level, they have to be close. You cannot justify the caliber and number of some of the recruits the past two years as being here just on a little school-backed financial aid.