PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross at UConn

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Holy Cross certainly is a trendy "upset" pick this week by many. Although, given the line is currently UConn -3.5, I'm not sure it'd be much of an upset. If you believe that home field in college football is worth three points, then these teams are just about even on a neutral field.

UConn is without two of their starters in their defensive front seven -- Ian Swenson and Eric Watts. Interesting development, especially as HC will look to do most of their work on offense on the ground.

Think the PL is in for a tough week, so a win here may prevent the league from going 0-fer.

ElCid
September 4th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Looking good so far. Nice drive for 7.

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 11:12 AM
Matt Sluka did a little bit of everything on that drive with some nice passes and using his legs.

7-0 HC.

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 11:29 AM
Randy Edsall making $1.6 million annually is downright criminal.

He must have an incredible agent.

ElCid
September 4th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Conn starting to come alive on both sides of the ball. HC needs to not let them get any momentum.

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Really poor coaching decision by Chesney to be cycling QBs. Sluka has not made any mistakes. There's no reason to be messing around with the offensive flow by bringing in Siderman. Stupid.

Libertine
September 4th, 2021, 11:50 AM
FAT GUY TOUCHDOWN for HC!!!

ElCid
September 4th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Very cool pick 6 by the big boy defensive lineman.

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Fat man TD!!!

Just the break HC needed as things were getting bad fast for them.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 4th, 2021, 12:26 PM
FAT GUY TOUCHDOWN for HC!!!

Just got the alert on my phone from ESPN!! Great highlight!

ElCid
September 4th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Ripped off. I don't think it was enough to over turn. They may scored anyway on the next play, but not on that play.

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 12:32 PM
21-21 after UConn scored on a questionable TD. Given the call on the field was an incomplete pass, through my purple shaded glasses I didn't think there was enough to overturn the call to a TD.

Entertaining first 30 minutes.

VandalBasher
September 4th, 2021, 12:35 PM
This is a helluva game! I would have loved to have seen this in person!

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 01:26 PM
31-21 HC.

Feels more comfortable getting it to a two-score game.

Great resolve after UConn went up 14-7.

Sader87
September 4th, 2021, 01:43 PM
We're getting screwed by the officials....it's all good, know we can play with the UConn's of the world (as bad as they are)...we're going to be solid this year.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 01:56 PM
We're getting screwed by the officials....it's all good, know we can play with the UConn's of the world (as bad as they are)...we're going to be solid this year.

More than just "solid."

bulldog10jw
September 4th, 2021, 01:58 PM

Win or lose, HC is the more impressive team.

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Offense needs to string together a couple of first downs and flip the field. Defense, who has been by and large good today, needs a blow.

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 02:14 PM
38-28 with 8:19 left.

Big play was Sluka going up the middle for a 77 yard spurt.

What a freak athlete he is. The lacrosse player in him showing there.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 4th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Keep it going Holy Cross!

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 02:19 PM
I'm honestly surprised HC wasn't a consensus Top 25 team heading into the season. Hopefully today changes that.

Although, UConn wouldn't sniff the FCS Top 25.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 4th, 2021, 02:22 PM
I'm honestly surprised HC wasn't a consensus Top 25 team heading into the season. Hopefully today changes that.

Although, UConn wouldn't sniff the FCS Top 25.

I agree! They should have been in the 15-25 range! With that said, I think the elite FCS'ers (SDSU, NDSU, SHSU, JMU maybe 2 or 3 more) would put a real hurting on UConn....

crusader11
September 4th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Brings back some memories of 14 year old me at Michie Stadium watching Ari Confesor run rampant on Army.

How sweet it is!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 4th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Congrats Holy Cross! The PL has a sneaky # of scalps the last 20 years or so! HC has 2 of them!

CockyGeek
September 4th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Holy Cross sent UConn right into basketball season

Sader87
September 4th, 2021, 02:43 PM
Sloppy, but nice win....the Cross is back baby!

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 02:44 PM
xbowxxbowxxbowx

bulldog10jw
September 4th, 2021, 02:44 PM
HC was far and away the better team.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 03:14 PM
"This loss is incredibly embarrassing for the program and can hardly be chalked up to a talent deficiency, rust issue, or melting cleats. This is the worst loss in program history . . ."

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2021/9/4/22657361/final-score-uconn-huskies-flops-against-holy-cross-at-home-38-28

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Worcester Telegram & Gazette (https://www.telegram.com/story/sports/college/2021/09/04/holy-cross-university-connecticut-football-bowl-subdivision/5731167001/)

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Way to go Saders xthumbsupx

Definitely deserving of a ranking this week

Also, not to take away anything from HC's win, but goodness does UConn look dreadful. I knew they weren't good, but holy cow

MUHAWKS
September 4th, 2021, 05:50 PM
Well done HC- Congratulations on a good win, while looking good doing it. I did not watch the whole game but in the parts I did watch I was very impressed with the team speed on defense and some of the DB's- did NOT look like the team that we handled with ease in the playoffs in 2019. I always root for FCS over FBS but since we play ya'll was really pulling for you. Your coach seems pretty hard nosed and motivating.

Go Green
September 5th, 2021, 06:19 AM
goodness does UConn look dreadful. I knew they weren't good, but holy cow

If they beat Clemson in November, then all is forgiven.

:)

UNHWildcat18
September 5th, 2021, 06:34 AM
God I wish UNH would play UCONN just 1 year in the last 15…..

Very Happy for HC though!

crusader11
September 5th, 2021, 06:50 AM
God I wish UNH would play UCONN just 1 year in the last 15…..

Very Happy for HC though!

I have to assume it’s not for the lack of effort from UNH, right? Makes sense why UConn wouldn’t want to have thrown you a game, especially when UNH was on a run where they were routinely beating FBS teams.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 08:04 AM
Thank you Holy Cross for beating UConn

nothing good in that state

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 5th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Thank you Holy Cross for beating UConn

nothing good in that state

And Delaware has it over Connecticut how?

Dane96
September 5th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Reviving “Holy Cross to the Big East” dreams for our friends at Holy Cross. ;). Might as well just shoot for the ACC because they have football.

In all seriousness, congratulations. Watched the entirety and Holy Cross was clearly the better team.

Go Green
September 7th, 2021, 05:54 AM
Watched the entirety

Then I assume that you saw the shot of the UConn assistant coach trying to rally the defense in the fourth quarter in a huddle on the sideline? He gave instructions, then raised his fist in an attempt to make a cheer before breaking the huddle and.... no player responded.

That guy is apparently now the interim head coach at UConn.

Libertine
September 7th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Then I assume that you saw the shot of the UConn assistant coach trying to rally the defense in the fourth quarter in a huddle on the sideline? He gave instructions, then raised his fist in an attempt to make a cheer before breaking the huddle and.... no player responded.

That guy is apparently now the interim head coach at UConn.

That was just about the saddest thing I've ever seen. As a coach, how have you already lost your team less than two games into the season after not playing for nearly two years? Did you ever really have them to begin with?

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Delaware has Sandy beaches and Connecticut has stony beaches

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2021, 08:33 AM
32099....DELAWARE HAS UD....FOOTBALL.....DOLLE'S TAFFY......DEERHEAD HOT DOGS........EXPENSIVE LICENSE PLATES....(JES' DUH LOW # ONES)......CONNECTICUT HAS UCONN....FOOTBALL.........BRAWK!

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2021, 10:13 AM
And now Lafayette plays UConn... in 2026... maybe UConn can hold on and the Pards get their first FBS win?

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 7th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Delaware has Sandy beaches and Connecticut has stony beaches

Ok, if you say so. Are Delaware beach houses on top of one another like Connectiuct's?

Then there is Maine's rocky coastline of 3,478 miles with some southern sandy beaches.xnodx

Ivytalk
September 8th, 2021, 09:07 AM
Belated congrats to the Crusaders!

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 8th, 2021, 10:35 AM
Is it fair to say the Cross caused the dismissal of Randy Edsall at UConn???
UConn loses and on Sunday Edsall announces he is done the end of the year.
On Monday UConn announces that Edsall is done being the coach for UConn and the DC is taking over the team.
What a mess UConn football is. Did Edsall get paid his 1.6 million???

Go Green
September 8th, 2021, 10:52 AM
On Monday UConn announces that Edsall is done being the coach for UConn and the DC is taking over the team.

Probably more accurate to say that Holy Cross was the last straw. His record was (to put it charitably) unimpressive in his second stint.

Best guess is that Edsall announced his retirement at the end of the season without consulting with the AD, who probably thought that keeping a lame duck coach for the rest of the season was pointless. When they met the next day to discuss, Edsall resigned immediately.

MR. CHICKEN
September 8th, 2021, 10:55 AM

.....AH'D SAY.....FRESNO STATE GOT DUH PAPERWORK GOIN'....WHIFF 45-ZIP........UCONN HAD 35 RUSHIN' YDS ON 31 CARRIES/72 PASSIN' YDS ON 14 FO' 30 ATTEMPTS.....EVERAH-ONE ON SKED WOOD DOWN 'EM.....'CEPT MAYBEAH UMA$$.....EVEN VANDY WOOD BE SPOTTIN' 'EM.....AWK!

...GOGREEN SAID IT BETTER.......LAST STRAW!.............AWK!

caribbeanhen
September 8th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Ok, if you say so. Are Delaware beach houses on top of one another like Connectiuct's?

Then there is Maine's rocky coastline of 3,478 miles with some southern sandy beaches.xnodx

Well if you don't know the answer to your question you should get down to the Delaware beaches and see for yourself before your chastise them

by the way, neither Delaware nor Connecticut have natural swaying palm trees and turquoise seas xdrunkyx

Libertine
September 8th, 2021, 11:09 AM

No. Edsall was on his way out there anyway. He's already a famously cantankerous human being whose UConn football program has been completely screwed over by the UConn administration twice. They fit together like chocolate pudding and Cheez-its.

Yes. Yes, he did.

Libertine
September 8th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Best guess is that Edsall announced his retirement at the end of the season without consulting with the AD, who probably thought that keeping a lame duck coach for the rest of the season was pointless. When they met the next day to discuss, Edsall resigned immediately.

Yes, on the first part but the Edsall and AD David Benedict never actually met to discuss. Edsall was notified on Monday by Benedict via email that his resignation date of 12/1/21 was acceptable but that he was relieved of his coaching duties effective immediately and Edsall was expected to "advise" Benedict in the interim on the coaching search.

Go Green
September 8th, 2021, 11:57 AM
Yes, on the first part but the Edsall and AD David Benedict never actually met to discuss. Edsall was notified on Monday by Benedict via email that his resignation date of 12/1/21 was acceptable but that he was relieved of his coaching duties effective immediately and Edsall was expected to "advise" Benedict in the interim on the coaching search.

Gotcha. I should have surmised that myself. It was pretty obvious that everyone was in a bad mood at UConn last weekend. :)

HensRock
September 8th, 2021, 12:51 PM

20 - 6. That's how. xnodx

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 8th, 2021, 03:02 PM
With UMass and Yale as probably the only two winnable games for UConn, let's say UConn loses to the Eli, how many FBS teams have had two scalps taken in a season by FCS teams???

caribbeanhen
September 8th, 2021, 04:22 PM
20 - 6. That's how. xnodx

Boom

crusader11
September 8th, 2021, 04:47 PM
With UMass and Yale as probably the only two winnable games for UConn, let's say UConn loses to the Eli, how many FBS teams have had two scalps taken in a season by FCS teams???

Georgia State in 2013 is one, although that was also their first season as an FBS program. They actually lost three times to FCS teams.

ElCid
September 8th, 2021, 07:34 PM

I initially read you question wrong. Thought you wondered how many times and FCS team had multi FBS scalps. There have been a few. But there has also been FBS teams scalped multiple times in the same year. Some three times.

In 2003, Louisiana-Monroe by SFA and NW ST. And on that same year, Idaho by E Wash and Montana.

In 2001, Ark St by JSU and Nicholls.

In 2000, LA Lafayette by SHSU and NW ST. AND LA Monroe by Wofford and TX ST.

In 1999, Buffalo by UConn and Hofstra.

In 1996, Boise St by E Wash and NW ST.

In 1995, LA Monroe, 3 times by Troy, UCF and NW ST.

In 1991, Navy by W&M and Delaware

In 1990, UNLV by MO ST and Nevada

In 1989, Navy three times, by The Citadel and JMU and Delaware. Also that year, Akron by YSU and E IL.

1987, Army by HC and Colgate, and Navy by W&M and Lehigh, and Akron by YSU and Del ST (yes state)

1986, Navy by Penn and Delaware and Cal St Fullerton by Nevada and Idaho.

1985, Cal St Fullerton by Montana and Nevada and Kansas St by N Iowa and N Texas.

There are more but it gets fuzzy before this as many FCS teams today we're officially FBS in name only during this time.

A lot of these FBS teams who lost multiple times were in transition, but a few were not.