PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards

jonmac
August 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Not trying to imply anything, just thought the resemblance was interesting. And it's real, not staged. Nice photograph, I thouhgt.

Take this thread wherever ya'll like. Have at it.

AZGrizFan
August 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I know where I'd like to take it....right out to the woodshed. I shudder to think that young man has 3 more years of eligibility. Good Lord, ASU might win 5 straight! xsmhx xsmhx xeekx xeekx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Mountain Panther
August 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Move their arms and legs a little and you got the same photo....:p

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/749341.jpeghttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/623506.jpeghttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/623401.jpeg

Appguy
August 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Somethin I made -
http://photos-880.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v115/216/80/29701880/n29701880_32963149_9334.jpg

I-AA Fan
August 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Not meaning to sound negative in any way. However, is Edwards the reason for ASU's success? Is he all that and more? Put him in a pro set with a balance play selection and you will have your answer. ASU's success is their system, not their QB. Systems are very common in basketball, but so much in football any more. The only requirement is to find a QB that fits into that system. Other successful I-AA/FCS systems were

EKU
GSU
YSU

all of these teams were successful over a number of years, and a number of different QB's. ASU will remain successful until someone outside of the SoCon decides to play a little option-offense. Then their defenses will know how to play against it.

YSU is your example. Tressel ran the option up until 1997. Very successful against other options clubs (i.e. Marshall). When your offense runs the option...your defense gets to see it every day ...not 1 week a year. Now in 1997, there were still enough upper class men on YSU's defense to play against McNeese's option, thus another title...but barely. Tressel was now recruiting players for a pro-set offense. By 1999, YSU's defense had no idea what the option was, thus the lopsided loss to GSU's option. Last year, another YSU team with no ability to cover the option lost in a lopsided game to ASU's option.

Again, you must vary your offense's ground attack & get players with more speed at linebacker.

Appguy
August 18th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I would argue that anyone who can pass for over 2000 and run for over 1000 is contributing success (and not even starting for 2 games) to the team. hes certainly not interchangable with other QBs because with out him we lost to NC state ( very well may have lost with him - speculation) and with trey elder starting we barely beat JMU which Edwards basically won for us when Elder got hurt.

I-AA Fan
August 19th, 2007, 12:30 AM
...and I would agree with you appguy. But that is more to my point of having the right person at the position. Trey Elder may very well be a better QB given other circumstances ...i.e. a different system. You could also drop Marino or Unitas in the current system & they would perform terribly. You could drop Edwards into UNI and he would be terrible as well, while Elder may look better there. I just think that ASU will continue to win until someone worries about beating them specifically, which is not going to happen from a non-conference opponent. As long as ASU makes the post-season, they will win 4 games, unless someone from the SoCon beats them.

Henny
August 19th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Excellent QB with tremendous skills, perfect Heisman pose and the envy of the FCS world now.

Best of luck against Big Blue!

proasu89
August 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM
...and I would agree with you appguy. But that is more to my point of having the right person at the position. Trey Elder may very well be a better QB given other circumstances ...i.e. a different system. You could also drop Marino or Unitas in the current system & they would perform terribly. You could drop Edwards into UNI and he would be terrible as well, while Elder may look better there. I just think that ASU will continue to win until someone worries about beating them specifically, which is not going to happen from a non-conference opponent. As long as ASU makes the post-season, they will win 4 games, unless someone from the SoCon beats them.

Would be terrible, or COULD be terrible? Making a very BIG assumption there.

Saint3333
August 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I just think that ASU will continue to win until someone worries about beating them specifically, which is not going to happen from a non-conference opponent. As long as ASU makes the post-season, they will win 4 games, unless someone from the SoCon beats them.

I wish that were true, but they are plenty of OOC programs out there (Montana, UNI, UMass, etc.) that are capable of beating ASU. Remember UNI and UMass had leads on ASU in the championship games. The next team to beat ASU will have a solid defense and have an excellent rushing game. The difference in many games is that ASU gets the lead and forces the opponent to pass. Once that happens, defensive end university (aka ASU) and our secondary are able to shut down a one dimensional team.

CopperCat
August 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Not trying to imply anything, just thought the resemblance was interesting. And it's real, not staged. Nice photograph, I thouhgt.

Take this thread wherever ya'll like. Have at it.

:pumpuke:

Old Montana State Grad
August 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Not meaning to sound negative in any way. However, is Edwards the reason for ASU's success? Is he all that and more? Put him in a pro set with a balance play selection and you will have your answer. ASU's success is their system, not their QB. Systems are very common in basketball, but so much in football any more. The only requirement is to find a QB that fits into that system. Other successful I-AA/FCS systems were

EKU
GSU
YSU

all of these teams were successful over a number of years, and a number of different QB's. ASU will remain successful until someone outside of the SoCon decides to play a little option-offense. Then their defenses will know how to play against it.

YSU is your example. Tressel ran the option up until 1997. Very successful against other options clubs (i.e. Marshall). When your offense runs the option...your defense gets to see it every day ...not 1 week a year. Now in 1997, there were still enough upper class men on YSU's defense to play against McNeese's option, thus another title...but barely. Tressel was now recruiting players for a pro-set offense. By 1999, YSU's defense had no idea what the option was, thus the lopsided loss to GSU's option. Last year, another YSU team with no ability to cover the option lost in a lopsided game to ASU's option.

Again, you must vary your offense's ground attack & get players with more speed at linebacker.

YSU also had to deal with the NCAA sanctions. Even though he really hurt my Cats, one had to be impressed with the young man.

Jerbearasu
August 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
...and I would agree with you appguy. But that is more to my point of having the right person at the position. Trey Elder may very well be a better QB given other circumstances ...i.e. a different system. You could also drop Marino or Unitas in the current system & they would perform terribly. You could drop Edwards into UNI and he would be terrible as well, while Elder may look better there. I just think that ASU will continue to win until someone worries about beating them specifically, which is not going to happen from a non-conference opponent.
I completely agree with you on this assessment and all App fans need to do is look at Richie Williams for proof. His Freshman (backed up Joe Burchette but started 3 games when Joe was injured) and Sophomore seasons he played well in the Power I sets but he really blossomed in the spread option because it fit his skills more appropriately. Edwards is an amazing player and a great QB for App. I wouldn't want any QB other than him running our offense and that includes Santos but that is because we have the personnel around Edwards to make him that much better. Likewise, I think UNH is happier with Santos at the helm and wouldn't want to trade.

james_lawfirm
August 19th, 2007, 08:10 PM

EKU
GSU
YSU

You sir, are brilliant! Not just because I agree with you (and you with me).

You have described the situation exactly as I see it. It is the SYSTEM that is the key here. Edwards is a fabulously talented QB, and man, is he exciting to watch. But, he is just the right athlete in the best system going today. Florida used a similar offense, replete with SPEED, and dismantled a great Ohio State team to win the FBS. Another poster described the spread, no-huddle offense as similar to the triple option of 20 years ago. Back then, few could defend it (mostly because they had not seen it.) A wise coach builds for this system with speed, speed, and more speed.

And, I also agree that Edwards would not do as well in the old, smash-mouth offensive schemes that ASU used to run so well (like with Joe Burchete). Don't get me wrong, Edwards could probably earn the starting QB job in that old scheme, but I don't think he would throw for 2,000 yds. & pass for 1,000 under it.

Anyway, I predict ASU will keep running this offense until someone figures out how to stop it. My suggestion for defenses facing Edwards and the spread, no-huddle offense is to try 14 players on the field at a time. That might work.