PDA

View Full Version : NCAA sets timetable for dramatic overhaul of how it governs collegiate athletics

McCowboys
July 31st, 2021, 06:28 AM
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31922593/ncaa-sets-table-dramatic-overhaul-how-governs-college-athletics

Milktruck74
July 31st, 2021, 06:33 AM
Ready FIRE aim.

NY Crusader 2010
July 31st, 2021, 07:14 AM
We're going to end up with a less centrally-regulated system in a lot of ways. Individual conferences will be the ones that end up making the rules, unless the P4, P3 or whatever P it becomes form some kind of association of their own governed by the same stuff. I think things like the Dayton rule will go by the way side. Rules regarding eligibility may change. Outside of the power conferences, I think you'll also see schools playing different sports in different divisions. And the conference structure might be different for each sport.

Paid players -- I actually don't think NIL will lead to this in a formal sense. The big reason: Title IX. The big schools aren't ever going to pay star football players market value because in order to do so they'd have to pay non-revenue women's athletes the same total compensation.

Good news -- the product that is FCS football I believe will remain largely the same.

Hopefully, the NBA and NFL get as woke as the NCAA has become and eliminate the ridiculous age limits pertinent to their respective player drafts. Not that either of these two organizations are responsibly for making college sports a better product nor should they have to care, but this would go a long way in restoring amateurism. And I think it would be a good thing for both of those leagues. Shouldn't they want their star players to have longer careers in their leagues?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 31st, 2021, 10:20 AM
We're going to end up with a less centrally-regulated system in a lot of ways. Individual conferences will be the ones that end up making the rules, unless the P4, P3 or whatever P it becomes form some kind of association of their own governed by the same stuff. I think things like the Dayton rule will go by the way side. Rules regarding eligibility may change. Outside of the power conferences, I think you'll also see schools playing different sports in different divisions. And the conference structure might be different for each sport.

Paid players -- I actually don't think NIL will lead to this in a formal sense. The big reason: Title IX. The big schools aren't ever going to pay star football players market value because in order to do so they'd have to pay non-revenue women's athletes the same total compensation.

Good news -- the product that is FCS football I believe will remain largely the same.

Hopefully, the NBA and NFL get as woke as the NCAA has become and eliminate the ridiculous age limits pertinent to their respective player drafts. Not that either of these two organizations are responsibly for making college sports a better product nor should they have to care, but this would go a long way in restoring amateurism. And I think it would be a good thing for both of those leagues. Shouldn't they want their star players to have longer careers in their leagues?

I don't believe I could have hypothesized the future any better.

I simply want to say that I don't believe the NCAA was ever the devil some people made it out to be. They were almost always put in a damned if you/damned if you don't situations. The conferences and schools could never police themselves properly and instead of taking responsibility they opted to use the NCAA as a scapegoat. I see it occur at the high school level.

At, the D1 level it seems to me the Ivy League, Patriot League, WCC, MEAC and SWAC "kinda, sorta" had it right the whole time.

Daytripper
July 31st, 2021, 10:25 AM
It's about time.

DFW HOYA
July 31st, 2021, 01:08 PM
At, the D1 level it seems to me the Ivy League, Patriot League, WCC, MEAC and SWAC "kinda, sorta" had it right the whole time.

I don't follow the comparison. WCC? HBCU's?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 31st, 2021, 08:49 PM

Both are conferences (SWAC/WCC) filled with likeminded institutions. WCC religious, SWAC HBCU's

The MAC is another good example imo. Pretty stable over the years....

katss07
July 31st, 2021, 09:52 PM
I don’t either, the WCC undoubtedly has a higher standard of play in football. Borderline disrespectful to compare it to the SWAC

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 31st, 2021, 10:02 PM
I don’t either, the WCC undoubtedly has a higher standard of play in football. Borderline disrespectful to compare it to the SWAC

What?! The WCC aka West Coast Conference does not play football...lol...

It's a D1 conference that focuses on basketball. I'm simply stating conferences that have a strong alliance of like minded institutions. Shouldn't be THAT hard to follow.

I could toss in the Big East but I'll wait to see how this all shakes out. Could the Big East add a state school or three? They re-embraced UConn last season which broke the private school precedent. I'd hate to see the Big East 2.0 head down a dark road again but it seems like they're open to making the same mistakes.

Panther88
August 1st, 2021, 01:53 AM

It's a D1 conference that focuses on basketball. I'm simply stating conferences that have a strong alliance of like minded institutions. Shouldn't be THAT hard to follow.

I could toss in the Big East but I'll wait to see how this all shakes out. Could the Big East add a state school or three? They re-embraced UConn last season which broke the private school precedent. I'd hate to see the Big East 2.0 head down a dark road again but it seems like they're open to making the same mistakes.

You are speaking fo a native texan, Lehigh. It didn't know the WCC offers 15 varsity sports and one of the sports it doesn't offer is football. xlolx Duh.

lmao@"WCC 'football.'" xlmaox

Panther88
August 1st, 2021, 02:04 AM
Both are conferences (SWAC/WCC) filled with likeminded institutions. WCC religious, SWAC HBCU's

The MAC is another good example imo. Pretty stable over the years....

Good stuff, Lehigh.

The SWAC has been "stable" since 1920. Since former i-aa now fcs attendance #s were counted, we have led at this level 42 of 43 years so it speaks to our fanbase, our constituents. Reviewing the landscape of facility/scholarship/budgets offering vs other regional counterparts, we are literally where we need to be in order to remain competitive in the recruiting game vs other OOC foes.

katss07
August 1st, 2021, 10:55 AM

Oh, the WCC doesn’t play football? I was totally aware of that when I said it’s better than the SWAC.

unknown3
August 1st, 2021, 12:46 PM

The definition of ignant

Panther88
August 1st, 2021, 02:49 PM
The definition of ignant

All we can do is be a witness to the ignorance and jealousy. xsmhx Such an evil heart in a human body, unfortunately. xthumbsdownx

A&T AGGIE96
August 1st, 2021, 03:56 PM
All we can do is be a witness to the ignorance and jealousy. xsmhx Such an evil heart in a human body, unfortunately. xthumbsdownx

^^^^THIS^^^^

Sometimes all you can do is shake you head…some people’s sole purpose is to tear down. They actually take pleasure in it. What a sad existence.

I wonder what this will do to the FCS landscape…I suspect for the most part we will be in effected.

Those that can move up will…the rest of us will see little change. This is about money and clout after all and FCS schools don’t have either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2021, 04:28 PM

UConn had an open line of communication as one of the original schools as far back as 2014, along the lines of "if you're ever interested someday, let's talk". Notre Dame might be able to have that kind of conversation, but not to any of the schools that burned it heading out the door.

The Big East deal is good through 2025, so there's no rush. If Fox had someone in mind, it would be discussed by the conference, but it isn't taking someone it doesn't want for expediency.

This is relative period of stability for all things Big East.

1979: Founded (7 schools)
1980: In: Villanova (8)
1983: In: Pitt (9)
1991: In: Miami (10)
1995: In: West Virginia, Notre Dame, Rutgers (13)
2000: In: Virginia Tech (14)
2004: Out: Miami, Virginia Tech (12)
2005: Out: Boston College (11)
2005: In: Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, South Florida (16)
2012: Out: West Virginia (15)
2013: Out: Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Louisville (10)
2013: To AAC: Cincinnati, South Florida, UConn (7)
2013: In: Butler, Creighton, Xavier (10)
2020: In: UConn (11)

Panther88
August 1st, 2021, 04:53 PM
^^^^THIS^^^^

Sometimes all you can do is shake you head…some people’s sole purpose is to tear down. They actually take pleasure in it. What a sad existence.

I wonder what this will do to the FCS landscape…I suspect for the most part we will be in effected.

Those that can move up will…the rest of us will see little change. This is about money and clout after all and FCS schools don’t have either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the type of ignorance which awaits A&T in that new conference so you and rest of us know the real deal. Stand firm. Maintain that required focus. Put a solid foot through their stupid a$$ unmercifully. :D

Good luck to A&T as you continue to ascend.

Back to topic, I really wish the "fcs" would split into something that fits "them" from us "others." The Ivys & HBCUs, we have our own niche which works for us and our landscape of supporters. The SWAC has sole ownership of 9 of the annual top-10 most attended fcs games. That is our clout and it is the tail that wags our dog.

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2021, 05:56 PM
Back to topic, I really wish the "fcs" would split into something that fits "them" from us "others." The Ivys & HBCUs, we have our own niche which works for us and our landscape of supporters. The SWAC has sole ownership of 9 of the annual top-10 most attended fcs games. That is our clout and it is the tail that wags our dog.

In one way I see this is where the NCAA is headed--a scheduling service, an official's bureau, and an umbrella TV provider, but each conference will enforce its own rules. If the SEC wants to pay players and the Ivy does not, that won't be the NCAA's problem.

katss07
August 1st, 2021, 06:40 PM
The definition of ignant
Glad you caught on!

NY Crusader 2010
August 2nd, 2021, 06:06 AM

The state school that would be the closest to being a candidate for the Big East would be UMASS. Maybe VCU but I think University of Richmond would get invited first if the league really decided it was important to have a footprint in Virginia.

NY Crusader 2010
August 2nd, 2021, 06:10 AM
UConn had an open line of communication as one of the original schools as far back as 2014, along the lines of "if you're ever interested someday, let's talk". Notre Dame might be able to have that kind of conversation, but not to any of the schools that burned it heading out the door.

The Big East deal is good through 2025, so there's no rush. If Fox had someone in mind, it would be discussed by the conference, but it isn't taking someone it doesn't want for expediency.

This is relative period of stability for all things Big East.

1979: Founded (7 schools)
1980: In: Villanova (8)
1983: In: Pitt (9)
1991: In: Miami (10)
1995: In: West Virginia, Notre Dame, Rutgers (13)
2000: In: Virginia Tech (14)
2004: Out: Miami, Virginia Tech (12)
2005: Out: Boston College (11)
2005: In: Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, South Florida (16)
2012: Out: West Virginia (15)
2013: Out: Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Louisville (10)
2013: To AAC: Cincinnati, South Florida, UConn (7)
2013: In: Butler, Creighton, Xavier (10)
2020: In: UConn (11)

Notre Dame could definitely end up in the Big East for Olympic Sports again, if their current deal with the ACC is ever discontinued. Perhaps ND one day finds it too inconvenient to have to play 4-5 ACC teams every year in football. ND also now has a toe in the Big Ten door since hockey is parked there. Doubt they ever end up there for football but not impossible that Olympic sports get parked there at some point (with a football scheduling agreement).