PDA

View Full Version : FCS Realignment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

lionsrking2
November 11th, 2021, 06:37 AM
Should we be surprised considering the Southland leadership's track record?
Of course not. That’s why we need to get out yesterday.

McCowboys
November 11th, 2021, 07:15 AM
No problem if they want to stay but giving them the house, kids and password to the bank account wasn't necessary, because they had no real options. No doubt McNeese has gone through it with the hurricanes but so has everywhere else in south Louisiana, in one form or another. We're still cleaning up ourselves after Ida, and I know Lafourche Parish got hit hard. Using hurricane relief as an excuse to give them EVERYTHING they want is total BS. You can add up every potential dollar they could possibly bring in for every tournament combined, over the next several years, plus whatever exit fee they would not have to pay, and it would barely register in comparison to hurricane damage and what FEMA and insurance will eventually take care of. They will be just fine. Essentially, league presidents have decided to give them autobid home field/court advantage for inperpetuity, or until they decide they don't want the tournaments anymore, or until they leave without penalty. It's a just a total disaster of a negotiation.

Who hosted the baseball AND softball conference tournaments this past spring? Who won the tournaments and went to the NCAA's?
Who hosted the SLC women's soccer championship this fall? Who won?
I remember NSU Demons hosting the softball tournament on numerous occasions, and McNeese, SFA, or Sam Houston took home the prize.
I understand to some degree why some SLC fans might be disgruntled, but I don't really see "automatic" entries into the NCAA's just for hosting conference events.
If SLU decided to leave, I doubt there is anything left for the SLC to give them to keep them to stay. Good luck in the ASun which just lost JSU and may not be in much better shape than the SLC at this point.

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2021, 07:43 AM
Question though what has Missouri done in the SEC to make that move a win for their university? 2013 & 2014 they won the SEC East and lost both CCG to Auburn & Bama. After that they've played in second tier bowl games which is pretty much what they did when in the Big 12. Basketball wise they've made 3 tournament appearances as 8/9 seeds losing all 3 games since joining the SEC.

Money!

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 09:21 AM
Who hosted the baseball AND softball conference tournaments this past spring? Who won the tournaments and went to the NCAA's?
Who hosted the SLC women's soccer championship this fall? Who won?
I remember NSU Demons hosting the softball tournament on numerous occasions, and McNeese, SFA, or Sam Houston took home the prize.
I understand to some degree why some SLC fans might be disgruntled, but I don't really see "automatic" entries into the NCAA's just for hosting conference events.
If SLU decided to leave, I doubt there is anything left for the SLC to give them to keep them to stay. Good luck in the ASun which just lost JSU and may not be in much better shape than the SLC at this point.

I foresee the ASUN and OVC merging in some way or another.

McCowboys
November 11th, 2021, 09:29 AM
I foresee the ASUN and OVC merging in some way or another.

Has there been any word on whether UIW is planning to go WAC? Maybe the SLC can get a waiver for A&M-Commerce. ?

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 09:36 AM
Has there been any word on whether UIW is planning to go WAC? Maybe the SLC can get a waiver for A&M-Commerce. ?

I think UIW was ready to go WAC until Sam Houston bolted. They have to recalibrate the pros and cons.

lionsrking2
November 11th, 2021, 09:45 AM
Rumor has it UIW will decline — also hearing Eric Morris will take his old job back at Texas Tech and taking Cameron Ward with him. Pretty good source on it so I believe it.

acbearkat
November 11th, 2021, 09:48 AM
Rumor has it UIW will decline — also hearing Eric Morris will take his old job back at Texas Tech and taking Cameron Ward with him. Pretty good source on it so I believe it.

I haven’t heard Eric Morris linked to the potential offensive coordinator opening. It’s still very possible Sonny Cumbie is the offensive coordinator at Tech next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semobison
November 11th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Money!

To the fans money is really irrelevant if it doesn’t bring success along with it.

lionsrking2
November 11th, 2021, 10:21 AM
I haven’t heard Eric Morris linked to the potential offensive coordinator opening. It’s still very possible Sonny Cumbie is the offensive coordinator at Tech next year.

I have, and from a source that oughta know. Doesn't mean it will happen but I have no reason to believe it won't.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2021, 12:19 PM

I was saying it this spring, Cameron Ward not going be long for FCS

lionsrking2
November 11th, 2021, 12:32 PM
I was saying it this spring, Cameron Ward not going be long for FCS

Mildly surprised they didn't jump this year. Had they played last fall, instead of the spring, I'm sure they would have. Ward can make throws you have to see in person to believe. TV doesn't do him justice in any way, shape, or form.

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Mildly surprised they didn't jump this year. Had they played last fall, instead of the spring, I'm sure they would have. Ward can make throws you have to see in person to believe. TV doesn't do him justice in any way, shape, or form.

Yeah. He is really a special talent. Hope he stays at UIW, but with the new portal rules he will end up, if not at TT, at another P5 school.

Laker
November 11th, 2021, 02:01 PM
The student body vote on UTRGV football passed. Looks like they will start up in the fall of 2025.

Daytripper
November 11th, 2021, 02:05 PM
The student body vote on UTRGV football passed. Looks like they will start up in the fall of 2025.

They have over 30k students. That will bring in a lot of money.

MSUBobcat
November 11th, 2021, 04:23 PM
They have over 30k students. That will bring in a lot of money.

Approving $11.25/credit will bring in over $8M/yr at an average of 12 credits/semester for 30k students. Interesting (to me anyway) was the level of disinterest by the student body in making their voices heard. Only 5,784 total votes cast (17.86% turnout). Even if those graduating this year didn't care about the result and vote, that's a whole lot of apathy when it comes to paying an extra $1,350 to earn 120 credits for a bachelor's degree.

lionsrking2
November 11th, 2021, 06:21 PM
College AD reporting the Southland Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner visited Chicago State today. Talk about desperation. I have no words.

Laker
November 11th, 2021, 06:24 PM
College AD reporting the Southland Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner visited Chicago State today. Talk about desperation. I have no words.

Honestly that is like grasping at straws. It would make more sense to entice a D2 school to come in. West Florida- West Texas- there are others which would be a better fit both geographically and athletically.

lionsrking2
November 11th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Honestly that is like grasping at straws. It would make more sense to entice a D2 school to come in. West Florida- West Texas- there are others which would be a better fit both geographically and athletically.

It’s worse than that. Much worse.

dgtw
November 11th, 2021, 06:47 PM
I could see them talking to them but I can’t believe they are actually going up there to look around.

With McNeese staying things are looking better. If UIW still leaves, that puts them at 5/7 but the incoming D2 gets them back to 6/8. Not ideal, but survivable for now.

Chicago State adds nothing to the league except long road trips. Grab UTA and UALR from the Sun Belt. No football, but two warm bodies adds stability.

Laker
November 11th, 2021, 06:49 PM
I could see them talking to them but I can’t believe they are actually going up there to look around.

With McNeese staying things are looking better. If UIW still leaves, that puts them at 5/7 but the incoming D2 gets them back to 6/8. Not ideal, but survivable for now.

Chicago State adds nothing to the league except long road trips. Grab UTA and UALR from the Sun Belt. No football, but two warm bodies adds stability.

The Sunbelt could probably be convinced to let them go without exit fees.

acbearkat
November 11th, 2021, 07:02 PM

Texas-Arlington isn’t coming back to the Southland.

Puddin Tane
November 11th, 2021, 07:04 PM

Funbelt is the place to be! Aint gonna leave unless they get kicked out

Cocky
November 11th, 2021, 07:19 PM
West FL would be a great pickup

lionsrking2
November 11th, 2021, 07:23 PM
Makes too much sense.

NY Crusader 2010
November 12th, 2021, 06:19 AM
There's definitely a niche for a scholarship FCS non-HBCU in the state of Florida.

NY Crusader 2010
November 12th, 2021, 06:21 AM
Texas-Arlington isn’t coming back to the Southland.

IMO UTA and UALR to CUSA makes the most sense.

Cocky
November 12th, 2021, 07:12 AM
IMO UTA and UALR to CUSA makes the most sense.

I hope not. If the CUSA is going to take any non all sports teams let get them in FL to partner with FIU. Go get NDSU and SDSU for football only.

HootyHoo
November 12th, 2021, 09:28 AM

Agreed, I think West Florida and Valdosta State would be great pick ups. The FCS needs some new blood fter the recent departures.

TheRevSFA
November 12th, 2021, 09:37 AM
If I were A&M-Commerce, I'd be looking at the geography of the Southland and the current ramrodding McNeese did and really decide if it's worth going to. WAC might be better with Lamar, SFA, UIW, ACU, UTRGV...

HootyHoo
November 12th, 2021, 09:40 AM
The ASUN needs to get to 8 teams asap. Judas State University betrayed the conference and left them in a tough spot. So to recover i would add 3 fcs programs: Southeastern Louisiana, Tennessee State, and NC A&T. This would expand the geographic footprint and add much needed stability. Then invite West Florida and Valdosta State to make a 10 team conference after the transition.

Libertine
November 12th, 2021, 09:57 AM
The ASUN needs to get to 8 teams asap. Judas State University betrayed the conference and left them in a tough spot. So to recover i would add 3 fcs programs: Southeastern Louisiana, Tennessee State, and NC A&T. This would expand the geographic footprint and add much needed stability. Then invite West Florida and Valdosta State to make a 10 team conference after the transition.

Even with the losses of Liberty and Jax St, the ASUN is a 10-team conference right now and is adding an 11th (Austin Peay) in 2022. I get that you're referring to the football side of things but the end result would be a 16-team conference at the FCS/low-major level which seems pretty unwieldy.

HootyHoo
November 12th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Even with the losses of Liberty and Jax St, the ASUN is a 10-team conference right now and is adding an 11th (Austin Peay) in 2022. I get that you're referring to the football side of things but the end result would be a 16-team conference at the FCS/low-major level which seems pretty unwieldy.

That's a good point. Ok, scratch the D2 teams. Just add the three FCS programs to get to 14 overall, 8 for football.

ST_Lawson
November 12th, 2021, 10:27 AM

I think UIW was ready to go WAC until Sam Houston bolted. They have to recalibrate the pros and cons.

UIW decided to go ahead with the move: https://www.wacsports.com/general/2021-22/releases/20211112gl1n7q

lionsrking2
November 12th, 2021, 10:33 AM
UIW decided to go ahead with the move: https://www.wacsports.com/general/2021-22/releases/20211112gl1n7q

That's good news for us!

Daytripper
November 12th, 2021, 10:54 AM
That's good news for us!

Why? How?

HootyHoo
November 12th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Why? How?

Because now they can go to the ASUN and leave Mcneese St and their ridiculous arrangement with the Southland behind.

Anthony215
November 12th, 2021, 12:11 PM
That's good news for us!

If the WAC truly has intentions of moving up the entire conference to the FBS level in 5-10 years how the heck do they bring UIW into the fold unless they are promised UIW will build a much larger football stadium. I can't even say UIW can use the Alamodome because UTSA already occupies it for their home games lol.

SpreadTheWord
November 12th, 2021, 12:34 PM
If the WAC truly has intentions of moving up the entire conference to the FBS level in 5-10 years how the heck do they bring UIW into the fold unless they are promised UIW will build a much larger football stadium. I can't even say UIW can use the Alamodome because UTSA already occupies it for their home games lol.

The 23,000 seat Alamo Stadium sits right across the highway from us. It would be used as a temporary home while a larger on-campus stadium is being developed.

lionsrking2
November 12th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Because now they can go to the ASUN and leave Mcneese St and their ridiculous arrangement with the Southland behind.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Additionally — if we do stay — it shifts the SLC footprint to the east. Getting to UIW last weekend was a disaster. For comparison's sake: it took us 8 hours to get to Carbondale, Illinois to play Southern Illinois last spring — San Antonio is about 40 miles closer and took us over 10 hours to get their last week. Travel across I-10 into and across Texas is brutal for us, especially if the footprint expands westward, which is the only option, barring Lamar and SFA coming back into the fold. Travel for us is much easier to our north and east, even at similar distances. Plus, our part of Louisiana has more in common with Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee than west Texas.

acbearkat
November 12th, 2021, 12:47 PM

Additionally — if we do stay — it shifts the SLC footprint to the east. Getting to UIW last weekend was a disaster. For comparison's sake: it took us 8 hours to get to Carbondale, Illinois to play Southern Illinois last spring — San Antonio is about 40 miles closer and took us over 10 hours to get their last week. Travel across I-10 into and across Texas is brutal for us, especially if the footprint expands westward, which is the only option, barring Lamar and SFA coming back into the fold. Travel for us is much easier to our north and east, even at similar distances. Plus, our part of Louisiana has more in common with Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee than west Texas.

Not to mention having to cross over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge. That takes a while on both sides of the interstate because of all the traffic.

lionsrking2
November 12th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Not to mention having to cross over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge. That takes a while on both sides of the interstate because of all the traffic.

Exactly.

caribbeanhen
November 12th, 2021, 02:01 PM

LK2, brutal because of traffic or traffic caused by construction? San Antonio is on my radar

lionsrking2
November 12th, 2021, 02:35 PM
LK2, brutal because of traffic or traffic caused by construction? San Antonio is on my radar
Both. There’s just so much population growth, I-10 hasn’t been able to keep up. Didn’t seem as if construction for a large stretch would be finished anytime soon.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2021, 03:08 PM

Why would A&T join a conference that stretches to Louisiana and Arkansas? xeyebrowx That travel would be worse than what they left in the MEAC. xlolx

caribbeanhen
November 12th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Both. There’s just so much population growth, I-10 hasn’t been able to keep up. Didn’t seem as if construction for a large stretch would be finished anytime soon.

good to know

thanks

caribbeanhen
November 12th, 2021, 03:40 PM
Why would A&T join a conference that stretches to Louisiana and Arkansas? xeyebrowx That travel would be worse than what they left in the MEAC. xlolx

The MEAC is still afloat? For how much longer

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2021, 04:25 PM
The MEAC is still afloat? For how much longer

The next departure from MEAC football would put it under six football schools, the minimum number needed for NCAA consideration.

Any all-sports departure from Patriot football (i.e., anyone other than Fordham or Georgetown) would put it under the minimum number of schools required by that conference to sponsor football.

Daytripper
November 12th, 2021, 05:15 PM

Every large urban area in Texas (Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin, and to some extent Waco) has the same problem with transportation not being able to keep up with growth. It's a nightmare.

lionsrking2
November 12th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Every large urban area in Texas (Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin, and to some extent Waco) has the same problem with transportation not being able to keep up with growth. It's a nightmare.

Agreed. That’s the major reason why I’ve been for a move for a long time. Obviously we enjoy being in the same league as our in-state peers but not if the SLC’s answer to recent departures is to invite a bunch of far flung Texas D2 schools. And the recent bend over for McNeese has pissed off many of our supporters to the point things may not be salvageable. They’re at the point of pulling financial support if we stick around under that agreement.

Puddin Tane
November 12th, 2021, 08:07 PM

lake chuck to san antonio BLOWS!

Puddin Tane
November 12th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Nuthin about the WACk excites me. Now with the loss of sam along with the loss of mcneese, leaves sfa as our rival? Big whoop. SE Tex has nothing in common with these WACk schools.

McCowboys
November 13th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Nuthin about the WACk excites me. Now with the loss of sam along with the loss of mcneese, leaves sfa as our rival? Big whoop. SE Tex has nothing in common with these WACk schools.

But it's a great basketball conference....xeyebrowx

Sir William
November 13th, 2021, 07:46 AM
With Sam and Jack leaving for CUSA, the future WAC should be fine, but the future ASUN looks shaky. As things stand right now:

ASUN (5) -
E Kentucky
C Arkansas
Kennesaw
N Alabama
Austin Peay

SLC (6) -
McNeese St
SE LA
Nicholls
NW State
Houston Bapt
TAMU-Commerce

OVC (6) -
UT-Martin
TN Tech
TN State
Murray St
SE Mizzou
E Illinois

Big South (7) -
Chuck South
GWebb
Campbell
NC A&T
Hampton
Monmouth (unless CAA scoops them)
RMU

Honestly, none of those 4 conferences look stable for the foreseeable future, and HIGHLY HIGHLY UNLIKELY any of them snag programs away from SoCon, CAA or MVFC.

What’s likely to happen to each? Can’t see most of them sustaining long term. Big South and OVC may end up biggest winners in all this after dust settles.

dgtw
November 13th, 2021, 08:18 AM
If I’m the ASUN, I would call Monmouth or Bob Morris and see if either wants to move their affiliation. It would get you to six for the time being until someone better comes along.

Daytripper
November 13th, 2021, 08:54 AM
With Sam and Jack leaving for CUSA, the future WAC should be fine, but the future ASUN looks shaky. As things stand right now:

ASUN (5) -
E Kentucky
C Arkansas
Kennesaw
N Alabama
Austin Peay

SLC (6) -
McNeese St
SE LA
Nicholls
NW State
Houston Bapt
TAMU-Commerce

OVC (6) -
UT-Martin
TN Tech
TN State
Murray St
SE Mizzou
E Illinois

Big South (7) -
Chuck South
GWebb
Campbell
NC A&T
Hampton
Monmouth (unless CAA scoops them)
RMU

Honestly, none of those 4 conferences look stable for the foreseeable future, and HIGHLY HIGHLY UNLIKELY any of them snag programs away from SoCon, CAA or MVFC.

What’s likely to happen to each? Can’t see most of them sustaining long term. Big South and OVC may end up biggest winners in all this after dust settles.

ASUN and Big South merge. SLC and OVC merge. Create two viable conferences with football divisions to condense travel.

unknown3
November 13th, 2021, 08:54 AM

Cosign from Atlanta. And they just keep building and building and building.

BigCat
November 13th, 2021, 08:56 AM
With JMU leaving the CAA. The CAA should pickup Monmouth or RMU. Elon should move back to the SoCo.

Sir William
November 13th, 2021, 09:06 AM
ASUN and Big South merge. SLC and OVC merge. Create two viable conferences with football divisions to condense travel.

SLC / OVC merge would seem to make sense, especially if such a merge only applied to football.

Not sure a Big South / ASUN merge is tenable. Likely too much water under bridge, in particular where Kennesaw and UNA are concerned.

dgtw
November 13th, 2021, 09:29 AM
SLC / OVC merge would seem to make sense, especially if such a merge only applied to football.

Not sure a Big South / ASUN merge is tenable. Likely too much water under bridge, in particular where Kennesaw and UNA are concerned.

Agree on the merger. Since both have two Olympic members, setting up a southern MVFC would make more sense than having 16 chasing one bid in Olympic sports. Maybe set something up in basketball scheduling since they’d only have 14 conference games.

Libertine
November 13th, 2021, 11:10 AM

I've thought for a long time that some kind of merger between the Big South and the MEAC is inevitable. It's partially started already with the moves by Hampton and NCAT but I also don't think that D1 scholarship football is sustainable for a few schools in both conferences which will necessitate a move.

There is no reason at all for Monmouth or Bobby Mo to leave the Big South for the geographically distant and tectonically shaky pastures of the ASUN at this stage.

dgtw
November 13th, 2021, 05:23 PM
As opposed to the geographic distance and tectonically shaky pastures of the Big South?

HootyHoo
November 13th, 2021, 05:39 PM
The ASUN has a better hand than this board is giving them credit for. Word on the street is they are deep in talks with SLU right now. The ASUN is also looking to add Tennessee Tech. The conference would be looking to add one more to get to 8.

Sir William
November 13th, 2021, 06:38 PM
The ASUN has a better hand than this board is giving them credit for. Word on the street is they are deep in talks with SLU right now. The ASUN is also looking to add Tennessee Tech. The conference would be looking to add one more to get to 8.

If that’s true, and if the ASUN is able to land SELA and TN Tech, it would certainly stabilize that conference. It would also destabilize the SLC and OVC further. No immediate impact on Big South.

I’ll get my popcorn ready.

MSUDuo
November 16th, 2021, 07:32 PM
Not football related but could be a moving piece for MO State...

Loyola-Chicago is moving from the MVC to the A10 in 2022-23

The name being thrown out to replace them are UTA, Murray, and UMKC.

No thanks to any but Murray.

CockyGeek
November 16th, 2021, 07:37 PM
If the OVC just moves to the ASUN, then what's the point?

mvfcfan
November 16th, 2021, 07:42 PM

Hopefully the MVC does the right thing and only adds Murray State, and does the 20 game round robin. If Missouri State ultimately leaves then we still have 10 teams and if we wanted 12 then NDSU and SDSU make the most sense. They both would add entire states as markets as well as the MSP metro.

UMKC and UTA make zero sense and they make the MVC look desperate in my view. When have either of those schools ever done anything spectacular in basketball? Also nobody cares about either of those schools. The MVC would be doing the Summit League and the Sun Belt both favors by taking them.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2021, 08:17 PM

Murray State Admin to MVC officials: "So what we doin' here? We doin' this, or what?"
https://c.tenor.com/RIj8cFve3FYAAAAC/vince-staples.gif

SDFS
November 16th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Does Wichita St come back to MVC? Aren't they stuck in the AAC.

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2021, 08:33 PM

MVC: "Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out"

When St. Louis eventually ends up in the Big East, they'll be all the way out there on an island. Loyola lucky that the MVC even gave them a sniff 6 years ago.

MSUDuo
November 16th, 2021, 08:42 PM
MVC: "Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out"

When St. Louis eventually ends up in the Big East, they'll be all the way out there on an island. Loyola lucky that the MVC even gave them a sniff 6 years ago.

That hasn't stopped SLU, being on an island.

You've also got Dayton.

But I doubt SLU ends up in the Big East

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2021, 08:52 PM
The only reason for St. Louis to stay in the A-10 is because it's the best jumping off point to get into the Big East.

St. Louis would be the next school to get into the Big East (other than Notre Dame if they ever decide to not continue their current deal with the ACC for whatever reason) because of it's presence in a "major league" media market that also doesn't have an NBA team.

ST_Lawson
November 16th, 2021, 09:13 PM

What about NKU? Good sized school, nice arena, Cincy metro area, made the ncaa tournament in '17, '19, and '20 (they would have been in it if it had been played), and was NIT in '18. Wasn't that long ago they were DII, but they're moving up pretty quickly.

MSUDuo
November 16th, 2021, 10:03 PM
What about NKU? Good sized school, nice arena, Cincy metro area, made the ncaa tournament in '17, '19, and '20 (they would have been in it if it had been played), and was NIT in '18. Wasn't that long ago they were DII, but they're moving up pretty quickly.

I would love for them to join

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2021, 11:05 PM
St. Louis would be the next school to get into the Big East (other than Notre Dame if they ever decide to not continue their current deal with the ACC for whatever reason) because of it's presence in a "major league" media market that also doesn't have an NBA team.

Holy Cross doesn't seem to want to pursue it.