PDA

View Full Version : JSU stadium improvements

Cocky
July 20th, 2021, 09:02 PM
BOT approved an 80 million stadium expansion and adjoining improvements.

Mocs123
July 21st, 2021, 05:43 AM
Wow! JSU already has a nice stadium. Is this improving the visitor side (old home side)?

Professor Chaos
July 21st, 2021, 07:18 AM
Here's some renderings from a tweeterism (https://twitter.com/Barnabus93/status/1417626940714913796).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6xsL51X0AArvsk?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6xsMKQXsAIoxYQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Really cool look although one thing that I wonder about is this severely limits them in terms of any future expansions they may want to do.

ASU33
July 21st, 2021, 07:36 AM
Here's some renderings from a tweeterism (https://twitter.com/Barnabus93/status/1417626940714913796).

Really cool look although one thing that I wonder about is this severely limits them in terms of any future expansions they may want to do.

This is VERY nice!

nodak651
July 21st, 2021, 07:55 AM
Very cool! Surprised more schools don't go this route. If those are dorm rooms, balconies would be pretty damn cool... of course cost and stadium attendance plays a factor, but they would kind of be in the stadium, and it would look cool with people/flags on each balcony.. A+ Was originally thinking you meant Jackson State! Thats A LOT of new premium seating as well!

GAD
July 21st, 2021, 09:08 AM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

POD Knows
July 21st, 2021, 09:29 AM
Wow, that looks bitchin'

TheKingpin28
July 21st, 2021, 09:35 AM
Damn! That would be right up there for the best stadium in the nation for this level. I'd travel there for a game to take in that experience.

Are they looking to complete this by 2025?

JSUSoutherner
July 21st, 2021, 10:38 AM

There's still a lot of room on the east end zone.

Bisonator
July 21st, 2021, 10:51 AM
Are those really going to be dorms? Who wants to live at a stadium? Really odd look to me.

CenMEBlackBearFan
July 21st, 2021, 11:20 AM
Are those really going to be dorms? Who wants to live at a stadium? Really odd look to me.

Liked the old stadium and first glance I thought real nice but looking closer I agree it looks like dorms attached to the stadium, not getting it unless they are really dorms???

nodak651
July 21st, 2021, 11:23 AM

If they are, are you serious? You really wouldn't like to see the inside of your schools stadium when you look out your window? *as a college student*

Bisonator
July 21st, 2021, 11:28 AM
If they are, are you serious? You really wouldn't like to see the inside of your schools stadium when you look out your window? *as a college student*
No I wouldn't. It'll be empty most of the time. You like looking at an empty stadium? Great view......xcrazyx

Not to mention the kids that maybe don't even like FB and want to get some studying done while a game is going on outside your window. xlolx

Libertine
July 21st, 2021, 11:30 AM

The structure of Florida's Ben Griffin Stadium used to also house the football dorm until the NCAA banned athlete-only dorms in the 90's and there are still UF student residents there today.
The home side of EKU"s Roy Kidd Stadium is actually an academic building that houses classrooms and offices with the stadium seating built into the rear of the building.

I can't help but think that JSU's design ^^ with the field walled in on three sides has the potential for crowd noise to be just deafening.

TheKingpin28
July 21st, 2021, 12:44 PM
No I wouldn't. It'll be empty most of the time. You like looking at an empty stadium? Great view......xcrazyx

Not to mention the kids that maybe don't even like FB and want to get some studying done while a game is going on outside your window. xlolx

I went to school for 7 years and maybe studied for 7 minutes. ****, I'd have partied harder if I could have seen football games outside my window. I can honestly say, I generally do not remember my Sophomore or Junior years of college.

JSUSoutherner
July 21st, 2021, 01:03 PM

All of the new stuff is all housing for athletics. The home side is already dorms except for the top 3 levels where the club and skyboxes are. Under the stands on the home side are dorm windows that look at the bottom of the stands.

They're dorms. If you spend all your time in them, you're doing it wrong. So at least to me, a view really didn't matter.

If you want a study area with a panoramic view, the top floor of our library is study area which is 250 feet up and glass on all sides. It's a nice place.

Mocs123
July 21st, 2021, 01:20 PM
Chattanooga's old stadium Chamberlin Field (replaced in 1997) had dorms under the bleachers. They were still in use when I got there in 98 but were torn down before I graduated four years later.

JSU Stadium seats what ~24K now? How many more seats are they adding in the end zone? What's the average attendance now - I know it's a lot - maybe ~19K?

JSUSoutherner
July 21st, 2021, 02:42 PM
Chattanooga's old stadium Chamberlin Field (replaced in 1997) had dorms under the bleachers. They were still in use when I got there in 98 but were torn down before I graduated four years later.

JSU Stadium seats what ~24K now? How many more seats are they adding in the end zone? What's the average attendance now - I know it's a lot - maybe ~19K?

24k now. 18 or 19k average.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the capacity is less.

McNeese72
July 21st, 2021, 02:58 PM
LSU Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge in the past had dorm rooms built into it. They are no longer used.

Doc

POD Knows
July 21st, 2021, 04:41 PM
Are those really going to be dorms? Who wants to live at a stadium? Really odd look to me.****ing aye, if NDSU built a stadium with dorms or apartments or condos that would be the greatest place on Earth, put some cafes and other **** there, **** yea. I would freaking live there.

dgtw
July 21st, 2021, 05:48 PM

A football game is three hours on a Saturday 6-7 times in the fall. They can go to the library or go home that weekend. And nobody is forced to live in the stadium dorm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
July 21st, 2021, 07:38 PM

It is a different style than most schools go for, but I would have loved it when I was a student. My old office (we got moved down two floors this last January) was on the 3rd floor in a building up the hill and ~800 feet away from Hanson Field (I could see my office window from where I usually sat in the stadium) and I loved it. Sometimes the marching band would be practicing down there, sometimes it was the football team; I'd even see some of the other sports teams practicing there during the winter/early spring when all the grass fields were water-logged. Now, I didn't have to look out the window at the field all the time, but whenever I wanted to...Hanson Field was right there.

Libertine
July 21st, 2021, 09:20 PM
As I recall, Northeastern's old Parsons Field had a couple of frat houses at one end. So there's that.

JSUSoutherner
July 21st, 2021, 09:54 PM
Word on the street is capacity will be upped to 29,000.

apaladin
July 21st, 2021, 11:12 PM
How long will it be until JSU moves to FBS?

JSUSoutherner
July 21st, 2021, 11:34 PM
How long will it be until JSU moves to FBS?

Why do you think the ASUN started football?

TheKingpin28
July 22nd, 2021, 08:37 AM
****ing aye, if NDSU built a stadium with dorms or apartments or condos that would be the greatest place on Earth, put some cafes and other **** there, **** yea. I would freaking live there.

POD's Place can finally became a reality and not a fantasy.

POD Knows
July 22nd, 2021, 11:23 AM
POD's Place can finally became a reality and not a fantasy.Damn right, all I would need is an elevator to the penthouse and a couple of reserved parking spots and I would be all over it. Problem is Mrs POD probably wouldn't go for it so I would have to maintain two residences which cuts into the entertainment budget.

TheKingpin28
July 23rd, 2021, 08:18 AM
Damn right, all I would need is an elevator to the penthouse and a couple of reserved parking spots and I would be all over it. Problem is Mrs POD probably wouldn't go for it so I would have to maintain two residences which cuts into the entertainment budget plus the eventual houseboat.

Looks better now.

That said, I can't remember where I posted it (couple of years ago), but it was my "design" for a new stadium and what it would have to include. If they built a new stadium, they would have to get the State to remove the bull**** about being fully funded before they can build.

JoshUCA
July 23rd, 2021, 12:29 PM
It looks like a larger version of what UCA did a few years back.

https://twitter.com/TodayInSports3/status/1335616441949818880 (https://twitter.com/TodayInSports3/status/1335616441949818880)

Panther88
July 23rd, 2021, 01:06 PM
All of the new stuff is all housing for athletics. The home side is already dorms except for the top 3 levels where the club and skyboxes are. Under the stands on the home side are dorm windows that look at the bottom of the stands.

They're dorms. If you spend all your time in them, you're doing it wrong. So at least to me, a view really didn't matter.

If you want a study area with a panoramic view, the top floor of our library is study area which is 250 feet up and glass on all sides. It's a nice place.

Is it double-dipping $$$ earmarked for living quarters also including athl facility upgrades in the required budget as well? Will there be meeting rooms, I mean conference rooms included in the upgrades?

That was a "thing" a few ago, the academic/athl facility double-dipping.

JSUSoutherner
July 23rd, 2021, 01:10 PM
Is it double-dipping $$$ earmarked for living quarters also including athl facility upgrades in the required budget as well? Will there be meeting rooms, I mean conference rooms included in the upgrades?

That was a "thing" a few ago, the academic/athl facility double-dipping.

I don't know about double dipping, but it will include new facilities for athletics as it will serve as a replacement for the old field house. I'm going to assume the old visitors locker rooms will also be replaced.

JSU02
July 23rd, 2021, 01:20 PM
I heard it won't be . And from the renderings it looks like the NE corner where the visitor locker rooms are isn't touched. We would def need an update prior to moving to FBS as it was built for D-2 teams. 😬

JSUSoutherner
July 23rd, 2021, 06:01 PM
I heard it won't be . And from the renderings it looks like the NE corner where the visitor locker rooms are isn't touched. We would def need an update prior to moving to FBS as it was built for D-2 teams. 😬

I'm really expecting the next stadium expansion to be a reno of the east end zone and maybe it will happen for that.

But that's an FBS level move if we ever do it.

SU DOG
July 24th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Congrats to JSU. The old heads there will never be satisfied as long as Troy has the upper hand - and that's a good thing. Some FBS conference will be fortunate to get this school, if the present one doesn't go FBS. My question is - did some of the federal tornado relief funds go to this project? Just curious to know if that was a factor.

Cocky
July 25th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Congrats to JSU. The old heads there will never be satisfied as long as Troy has the upper hand - and that's a good thing. Some FBS conference will be fortunate to get this school, if the present one doesn't go FBS. My question is - did some of the federal tornado relief funds go to this project? Just curious to know if that was a factor.

Do not believe so, if my memory is correct the new Business School is costing more than the insurance proceeds.

Some of the reason for the spending is Pres Meehan didnt spend any money. Infrastructure had fallen behind but we did and do have lots of borrowing capabilities.

Mocs123
July 26th, 2021, 11:19 AM
I don't know about double dipping, but it will include new facilities for athletics as it will serve as a replacement for the old field house. I'm going to assume the old visitors locker rooms will also be replaced.

I'm not sure what the visitor's locker rooms looked like on the inside, but on the outside they certainly look out of place in a facility as nice you you have. I'm glad they are being integrated into the new design. When is it supposed to be complete? Maybe you'll open the renovated stadium against the Mocs like you did the current remodel.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2021, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure what the visitor's locker rooms looked like on the inside, but on the outside they certainly look out of place in a facility as nice you you have. I'm glad they are being integrated into the new design. When is it supposed to be complete? Maybe you'll open the renovated stadium against the Mocs like you did the current remodel.

I don't know for sure if that's the case with the locker rooms. It's pure speculation on my part. But with the way the new layout looks in render I would assume it would be part of the overhaul.

Cocky
July 26th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Rumors are the visiting locker room will remain the same. Hard to believe as it is a dump and too small.

Libertine
July 26th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Rumors are the visiting locker room will remain the same. Hard to believe as it is a dump and too small.

Yes. It is so very bad!

apaladin
July 28th, 2021, 01:55 AM
Why do you think the ASUN started football?

So the ASun will become an FBS Conference?