PDA

View Full Version : Portland State AD Cleary stepping down

JALMOND
July 15th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Taking a job with the Multnomah Athletic Club.

https://goviks.com/news/2021/7/15/featured-valerie-cleary-leaving-portland-state-for-position-at-multnomah-athletic-club.aspx

SDFS
July 15th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Hey, anyone know the details on why PSU is now playing at a high school field vs the downtown stadium.

VandalBasher
July 15th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Hey, anyone know the details on why PSU is now playing at a high school field vs the downtown stadium.

The city could really do a service to the city if they made the soccer stadium multi-purpose for the PSU Football team and University of Portland's soccer teams.

JALMOND
July 16th, 2021, 03:56 AM

We've been there for about 4 years now. In a nutshell, the city transferred all ownership to the Timbers, who then jacked up the rent so high that PSU and the Portland high schools could not afford to play there.

ElCid
July 16th, 2021, 10:08 AM
We've been there for about 4 years now. In a nutshell, the city transferred all ownership to the Timbers, who then jacked up the rent so high that PSU and the Portland high schools could not afford to play there.

That stinks. Too bad you didn't have a deal like we do for baseball and the city of Charleston. They own it but we have unbreakable rights. They own the land, but we have title to the facility itself. But every place is different and we got lucky with the situation. But I would never trust non school organizations with control over facilities. Their interests are way different.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Riley_Jr._Park

EdubAlum
July 17th, 2021, 12:56 AM

Honest question, which do you prefer? I’ve always liked the games at Hillsboro more. You can kind of tailgate and you get a packed stadium instead of an empty Multnomah Stadium. Ya, it sucks driving out to Hillsboro but to me the experience always seems better out there.

JALMOND
July 19th, 2021, 05:34 PM
Honest question, which do you prefer? I’ve always liked the games at Hillsboro more. You can kind of tailgate and you get a packed stadium instead of an empty Multnomah Stadium. Ya, it sucks driving out to Hillsboro but to me the experience always seems better out there.

Simple. Even though I am only a half mile from Hillsboro Stadium, we are Portland State, not Hillsboro State. We belong in Portland. I miss taking the MAX to the games, getting a bite from one of the many restaurants around the stadium, watching other games on the TV there after the PSU game. Even when the games began at 1pm, I usually wouldn't get home until well after 9pm.

nodak651
July 20th, 2021, 02:12 PM
Simple. Even though I am only a half mile from Hillsboro Stadium, we are Portland State, not Hillsboro State. We belong in Portland. I miss taking the MAX to the games, getting a bite from one of the many restaurants around the stadium, watching other games on the TV there after the PSU game. Even when the games began at 1pm, I usually wouldn't get home until well after 9pm.
If theres any public money that went into that Timbers Stadium, its kinda bs that Portland State isn't playing there if thats what PSU wants. Public funding should come with strings attached that benefits the public.

VandalBasher
July 20th, 2021, 03:15 PM
If theres any public money that went into that Timbers Stadium, its kinda bs that Portland State isn't playing there if thats what PSU wants. Public funding should come with strings attached that benefits the public.

Don't get me started on "public money." The rumor was there was still a $21 million debt when the Kingdome was demolished. The team (Seahawks) leveraged to have that debt whitewashed or added into Quest Field/Century Link/Lumen or they would move the franchise out of Seattle. Twenty-one years later, the Chickens are still here. I wonder what happened to that debt?

JALMOND
July 20th, 2021, 03:26 PM

We did have a stipulation originally that basically said PSU football would always have a home at the stadium. However, the owner of the Timbers, Paulsen, financed the improvements to the stadium himself (and the Timbers). PSU was forced to deal with the Timbers when it came time to renegotiate and the Timbers upped the rent to a ridiculous level so PSU was forced to look elsewhere.