PDA

View Full Version : WAC Commissioner Hurd to Step Down at End of 2021

ursus arctos horribilis
July 7th, 2021, 01:05 PM
WAC Commissioner Hurd to Step Down at End of 2021

DENVER - Western Athletic Conference Commissioner Jeff Hurd announced today he will step down from his position at the end of December. He will be concluding 10 years as Commissioner and 37 years overall with the WAC within a 50-year professional career.

“Jeff Hurd has done a remarkable job in leading the WAC to its current status. We are grateful to him for putting the WAC in the position of a very promising future as a conference,” said outgoing Chair of the WAC Board of Directors, Fr. Stephen Sundborg, S.J. “The debt of gratitude to him of our thirteen member schools is immense. As we look to his successor as Commissioner, we will build on the legacy of what he has dedicated himself to over many years. His service to this conference is unparalleled.”

Hurd has been associated with the WAC for well more than half of its existence. He originally joined the staff in August of 1985 as the Director of Conference Relations and served in several capacities before he replaced former Commissioner Karl Benson on an interim basis in March 2012. A little more than one year later, Hurd was named Benson’s full-time replacement.

“The cliché is all good things come to an end,” said Hurd, “and this is no exception. I remember my first day in the office literally like it was yesterday and cannot fathom it was closer to four decades ago.”

“Commissioner Joe Kearney gave me the opportunity to come to the WAC, and I can’t begin to name all of those who have positively influenced me throughout my career. Success in anything also does not occur without the assistance of many others. I have been extremely fortunate to have had outstanding mentors, business counterparts, office staff and friends along with great support from my wife Cheri and our family.”

“I am extremely proud of what has been accomplished during my tenure, and the WAC always will be a part of me. I know the Conference is very well positioned to move forward.”

There have been several membership initiatives during Hurd’s tenure. Of the WAC’s 13 members in 2021-22, 11 have entered the conference under his leadership. Included are the addition of four institutions for 2021-22 (Abilene Christian University, Lamar University, Sam Houston State University and Stephen F. Austin State University) and a fifth (Southern Utah University) beginning in 2022-23. They join California Baptist University, Chicago State University, Dixie State University, Grand Canyon University, Tarleton State University, Utah Valley University and University of Texas Rio Grande Valley as institutions that came into the WAC during his tenure. Only New Mexico State University and Seattle University did not.

Hurd currently is the Chair of the NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP). He also completed a four-year term on the NCAA Division I Competition Oversight Committee at the conclusion of the 2020-21 season, and he previously was a member and then chairman of the NCAA Baseball Rules Committee. Hurd served as the chair of two Collegiate Commissioners’ Association subgroups, and he is on the Board of Directors for the Colorado Chapter of the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame.

Hurd is a native of Minot, N.D., and graduated from the University of Missouri's School of Journalism. He began his professional career as the Sports Editor of the Hannibal (Missouri) Courier-Post and also worked for the Tulsa Tribune. He was the Sports Information Director at the University of Tulsa and the Director of Public Relations for the Missouri Valley Conference prior to joining the WAC.

About Western Athletic Conference
The WAC was formed in 1962 and is comprised of 13 member institutions – Abilene Christian University; California Baptist University; Chicago State University; Dixie State University; Grand Canyon University; Lamar University; New Mexico State University; Sam Houston State University; Seattle University; Stephen F. Austin State University; Tarleton State University; The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley; and Utah Valley University. Southern Utah University will join the league on July 1, 2022. The WAC crowns team and individual champions in 20 sports – 10 men's and 10 women's championships. The WAC office is in the Denver metropolitan area.

- WAC –

Daytripper
July 7th, 2021, 02:27 PM
It will be interesting to see who replaces him.

Katfan
July 7th, 2021, 02:30 PM
It will be interesting to see who replaces him.
Burnett. 😂

katss07
July 7th, 2021, 04:38 PM
While I’m not thrilled about the move to the WAC, props to Jeff Hurd. Dude inherited a conference that had just stopped sponsoring FBS football and was supposedly clinging on for dear life. I think most people thought it would die after Nevada and Fresno State had left. Had to replace schools like that with Chicago State and UMKC.

Look at him now. Starting an FCS conference that has the potential to become strong down the line and reestablishing stability in the league. Adding the Texas4 as a final act caps off what I think most would characterize as a successful tenure.

Daytripper
July 7th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Burnett. 

No way in hell..lol. The Texas 4 would immediately veto any discussion.xnodx

katss07
July 7th, 2021, 09:22 PM
Pondering what this could mean for the imminent upcoming WAC expansion. With Chicago State leaving, the conference will be at 13 full members (7 of which will play football in the revived conference), and Hurd was not shy about discussing expansion. I think they’ve made it quite obvious they’d like to add soon in hopes of getting an FCS Playoff AQ for 2022 as well as to complete their desired Texas division and get membership to an even 14. What could the new regime’s stance be? Any chance Hurd would attempt to get another school on board before he leaves?

WAC officials have already visited UIW, so clearly Hurd had interest there. We’ll have to see if the next commissioner has as much interest in them.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Pondering what this could mean for the imminent upcoming WAC expansion. With Chicago State leaving, the conference will be at 13 full members (7 of which will play football in the revived conference), and Hurd was not shy about discussing expansion. I think they’ve made it quite obvious they’d like to add soon in hopes of getting an FCS Playoff AQ for 2022 as well as to complete their desired Texas division and get membership to an even 14. What could the new regime’s stance be? Any chance Hurd would attempt to get another school on board before he leaves?

WAC officials have already visited UIW, so clearly Hurd had interest there. We’ll have to see if the next commissioner has as much interest in them.

Reminder. The Commissioner does not call the shots when it comes to league expansion, simply advises and is the face that gets thrown out there to support the decision(s) made by the Presidents of the league.

I do not think "Hurd had interest there" is appropriate recognition of what is going on and there in my estimation, is nothing to see outside of the fact that Incarnate Word likely "applied" or "expressed interest" in WAC membership. The WAC leadership has been in touch with several other schools with the goals of adding football-playing institutions in the Southwest (aka Texas) Division of the league per the documents released previously.

The league is really in no rush to get another school as the AQ7 year + the two-year waiver solves any AQ eligibility issues for football and the league is over the threshold in other sports for minimum participants (unlike the Southland which went on an 'affiliate spree' and is still short in at least one, if not two sports). It would certainly be nice to add an additional school for balance and scheduling purposes, but I get the feeling that the Texas D2 schools are waiting things out at this time and/or have no interest to make the jump. Incarnate Word would love to join the WAC, there's still questions on a Kingsville/Corpus marriage (ask John Sharp what he would like to do!) that could impact the WAC and again - no rush because the AQ thing is a non-issue due to the two-year waiver period (which may shrink by a year if the NCAA SAAC proposal to eliminate a year in the transition process from D2 to D1 passes)

katss07
July 8th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Reminder. The Commissioner does not call the shots when it comes to league expansion, simply advises and is the face that gets thrown out there to support the decision(s) made by the Presidents of the league.

I do not think "Hurd had interest there" is appropriate recognition of what is going on and there in my estimation, is nothing to see outside of the fact that Incarnate Word likely "applied" or "expressed interest" in WAC membership. The WAC leadership has been in touch with several other schools with the goals of adding football-playing institutions in the Southwest (aka Texas) Division of the league per the documents released previously.

The league is really in no rush to get another school as the AQ7 year + the two-year waiver solves any AQ eligibility issues for football and the league is over the threshold in other sports for minimum participants (unlike the Southland which went on an 'affiliate spree' and is still short in at least one, if not two sports). It would certainly be nice to add an additional school for balance and scheduling purposes, but I get the feeling that the Texas D2 schools are waiting things out at this time and/or have no interest to make the jump. Incarnate Word would love to join the WAC, there's still questions on a Kingsville/Corpus marriage (ask John Sharp what he would like to do!) that could impact the WAC and again - no rush because the AQ thing is a non-issue due to the two-year waiver period (which may shrink by a year if the NCAA SAAC proposal to eliminate a year in the transition process from D2 to D1 passes)
Your points are well taken, wasn’t aware of the fact that the NCAA had granted an AQ waiver to the WAC. Maybe I’m overestimating the commish change, at the end of the day the WAC is going to add the best school they can regardless (unless Burnett finds a way to be in charge).

The WAC has made official visits to UIW’s campus on at least two occasions. It’s been reported in multiple “Extra Points” articles from Matt Brown. Could those be courtesy visits made simply because UIW applied? I guess they could be. But I’d consider that “interest” from the WAC. If they’ve taken the time to go to San Antonio, visit campus and meet with administration, I think it completely fair to assume there is some level of seriousness and mutual interest.

Curious as to what you’ve seen/heard about potential D2 schools making the jump. Last I heard there was a level of reluctance as it’s assumed one of the LSC members leaving could send the conference into a tailspin. Angelo State maybe? WTAMU? I’ve got no inside sources.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Your points are well taken, wasn’t aware of the fact that the NCAA had granted an AQ waiver to the WAC. Maybe I’m overestimating the commish change, at the end of the day the WAC is going to add the best school they can regardless (unless Burnett finds a way to be in charge).

The NCAA has not formally granted the waiver but the NCAA is likely going to grant the waiver. The ASUN Commish said they were prepared to get a waiver after the AQ7 year and I have been sounding the 'waiver horn' for awhile. There would be more rush if they did not have the waiver on both fronts. It's just not there in my estimation and there's been so much movement, that the NCAA is going to be granting waivers for multiple leagues when it comes to being under the AQ threshold. The grace period is two years BTW.

The WAC has made official visits to UIW’s campus on at least two occasions. It’s been reported in multiple “Extra Points” articles from Matt Brown. Could those be courtesy visits made simply because UIW applied? I guess they could be. But I’d consider that “interest” from the WAC. If they’ve taken the time to go to San Antonio, visit campus and meet with administration, I think it completely fair to assume there is some level of seriousness and mutual interest.

Curious as to what you’ve seen/heard about potential D2 schools making the jump. Last I heard there was a level of reluctance as it’s assumed one of the LSC members leaving could send the conference into a tailspin. Angelo State maybe? WTAMU? I’ve got no inside sources.

I am still not convinced the WAC is going down the Incarnate Word path as there is not a true rush at this point to fill the spot and certainly not a rush to fill the spot with a school that is less than ideal for the WAC long-term. The Texas schools that were in the Southland have been burned before and want to make the right judgement calls. They are doing their homework and this will play out. If the WAC were to take any Southland school, the Southland would really be up the creek as I am still seeing the hesitancy from the Texas D2 schools at this point. And the SLC cannot handle more than a school or two transitioning at once. Can you imagine needing to transition four schools at once?