PDA

View Full Version : FCS NIL Deals

WestCoastAggie
July 1st, 2021, 11:14 AM
So with the NIL deals abound, lets post any deals that were inked by our student-athletes at our FCS schools.

Daytripper
July 1st, 2021, 11:23 AM
So with the NIL deals abound, lets post any deals that were inked by our student-athletes at our FCS schools.

This might be a pretty short thread.

Here is my question: Players can make money off of the NIL. But can they use the university name/logo etc. in said deal? I am pretty sure that the university won't allow it, but I don't know for sure.

WestCoastAggie
July 1st, 2021, 11:26 AM
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1410448170614673409

Go Green
July 1st, 2021, 01:45 PM
I imagine that there are bars/restaurants in college towns (certainly Hanover) who have pictures on the walls of local athletes past and present.

I'm no NIL expert, but I can imagine that an athlete can demand a couple of bucks for the right to keep the picture up...

walliver
July 1st, 2021, 06:22 PM
Most FCS deals will be paid in free food. Even for FBS linemen, there will be little cash.

i found it interesting that the first big deal announced today involves two hot blond sisters volleyball players from California.

Professor Chaos
July 1st, 2021, 06:57 PM
Most FCS deals will be paid in free food. Even for FBS linemen, there will be little cash.

i found it interesting that the first big deal announced today involves two hot blond sisters volleyball players from California.
Also this:

https://twitter.com/Outkick/status/1410632666077089793

Daytripper
July 1st, 2021, 08:30 PM
Also this:

https://twitter.com/Outkick/status/1410632666077089793

Good for her. She shouldn't be limited in her earnings because she plays a sport.

DFW HOYA
July 1st, 2021, 09:25 PM
The lower tier of FCS is going to be getting even lower.

Panther88
July 2nd, 2021, 05:34 AM
The lower tier of FCS is going to be getting even lower.

Just the lowest tier or the entire tier?

Kids are programmed to show loyalty to earning $$$ and exploiting their athleticsm for personal gain, not to show loyalty to a "brand" (a school) unless one is P5 destined. P5 rules the collegiate world, even among fcs and below grads who show loyalty to P5 over their own alma mater.

One-horse states where the likes of NDSU, UND, Montana, SDSU, et al where P5 doesn't exist are the exceptions.

NY Crusader 2010
July 2nd, 2021, 05:49 AM
I imagine that there are bars/restaurants in college towns (certainly Hanover) who have pictures on the walls of local athletes past and present.

I'm no NIL expert, but I can imagine that an athlete can demand a couple of bucks for the right to keep the picture up...

True, but has any former player ever done this? Obviously not while an active college player. Many campus pubs have memorabilia and autographed pics but usually not material from currently active student-athletes. Paul's Delly in Williamsburg would be an example of this. I highly doubt any student-athlete or former student athlete would be petty enough to demand payment to a small business for their picture being hung up on a wall.

Maybe my bar-league softball team should've demanded a few bones from Austin's Ale House in Forest Hills when they posted our championship picture on the wall a couple years back. Same for any town Little League team with their pictures hanging in Applebee's.

NY Crusader 2010
July 2nd, 2021, 05:57 AM

The vast majority of the NIL money will flow through social media. Like the LSU gymnast that was posted, you can monetize followers.

The other way a lot of NCAA athletes will be able to cash in will be through private lessons. Example: my cousin was the starting lax goalie at Towson and went to the Final Four as a senior. I'm sure he could've made some money by hosting some one-on-one goalie lessons for kids in his hometown during the summer. Plenty of college athletes are employees at instructional camps during the summer. But this legislation should open the door for a group of athletes to run their own camp.

Podcasts would be another way for many to make a couple bucks. I'm sure there'd be an audience in Alabama if three Tide linemen decided to start their own weekly show. Even at our level, I could see this working in places like North Dakota and Montana.

Trademarking jerseys would seem to be another way for athletes to make some $$.

UNHWildcat18
July 2nd, 2021, 06:24 AM
Anyone else feel like this is going to ruin college athletics across the board?

Panther88
July 2nd, 2021, 07:36 AM

It was already ruined when under the table $$$$ and other perks (off-campus condos, new vehicles, jewelry, etc) were given to "star" athletes, not student-athletes, and the ncaa ignored the malfeasance @ the then D-IA level (fbs).

I have written about this stupid sh56 since the 1980s after observing and then being a part of texas hs recruiting. Those Pontiac T/As-"bandit" Firebirds were being given away like free candy to lure top athletes to specific schools.

The malfeasance even permeated @ the "legal" level - state tax $$$. Research SMU's late 80s meltdown and the 2 differing entities @ governor(White/Clements) condoning payments to specific athletes on a football payroll of sorts. I'm related to one of those receiving payments and played ball against the other. Just a bunch of "stuff" I cannot forget.

Professor Chaos
July 2nd, 2021, 07:39 AM
I thought the new transfer rules had already done that???

Personally, like I feel with the transfer rules, I think this is being oversold as something that will turn college athletics into semi-pro athletics. At the top tier it might pull back the curtain so people won't be hiding anymore how much money is thrown around at elite college athletes but I don't think it changes much in terms of the distribution of talent throughout all levels of college sports.

walliver
July 2nd, 2021, 09:01 AM
True, but has any former player ever done this? Obviously not while an active college player. Many campus pubs have memorabilia and autographed pics but usually not material from currently active student-athletes. Paul's Delly in Williamsburg would be an example of this. I highly doubt any student-athlete or former student athlete would be petty enough to demand payment to a small business for their picture being hung up on a wall.

Maybe my bar-league softball team should've demanded a few bones from Austin's Ale House in Forest Hills when they posted our championship picture on the wall a couple years back. Same for any town Little League team with their pictures hanging in Applebee's.
Most likely, the players will be “paid” with free food, not cash.

A handful of athletes will get rich. Most will get little to nothing.

Daytripper
July 2nd, 2021, 09:14 AM

Nothing is really changing except that the money the top tier athletes are getting can now be taxed.

Libertine
July 2nd, 2021, 09:44 AM

No.

Professor
July 2nd, 2021, 10:20 AM
Duncan Powell our 4 star bball player has a deal

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

BEAR
July 2nd, 2021, 07:34 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

So nice he said it thrice. 😂

JayJ79
July 3rd, 2021, 01:08 AM
if the notion of student athletes being able to profit from the use of the name, image, and likeness ruins college athletics
then college athletics deserves to be ruined.

NY Crusader 2010
July 4th, 2021, 05:26 AM
if the notion of student athletes being able to profit from the use of the name, image, and likeness ruins college athletics
then college athletics deserves to be ruined.

100% agreed. No one would have an issue with a violin player or college-attending fashion model profiting off their likeness. If someone who's entrepreneurial happens to be a college athlete, why should they be penalized?

FCS football players will also get a small cut if they end up bringing the NCAA video game back.

WestCoastAggie
July 4th, 2021, 05:27 AM
https://twitter.com/thezachyeager/status/1411393753957474312?s=21

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/thezachyeager/status/1411393753957474312?s=21

NY Crusader 2010
July 4th, 2021, 05:30 AM
Most likely, the players will be “paid” with free food, not cash.

A handful of athletes will get rich. Most will get little to nothing.

The majority of the cash flow will be social media driven. Followers = currency = AD revenue and sponsorships. Barstool is now sponsoring college athletes who are Instagram stars. Most are very attractive women who play an NCAA sport.

Daytripper
July 4th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Sam Houston posted this on twitter. Decent summary of mays and may nots:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5OboihVUAAE2_z?format=jpg&name=large

- - - Updated - - -

NY Crusader 2010
July 5th, 2021, 06:00 AM
So, I guess jersey sales would be a no-go with school logo?

Feel like this would be a major possible revenue source for players, especially stars at bigger schools.

Cocky
July 5th, 2021, 07:24 AM
Is the logo the schools choice?

Anthony215
July 7th, 2021, 10:16 AM
So are HS recruits able to profit of NIL? Or is it only NCAA active athletes? I see on twitter quite a few HS recruits who won't enroll into college until Spring/Fall 2022 advertising their availability to render services for a fee to businesses.

DFW HOYA
July 7th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Logos are the property of the school. You see this when some MLB player is advertising a product with a obviously generic uniform because the advertiser didn't get logo permission.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/64/0f/38/640f38335caed845c8ebbca232e39102.jpg

CappinHard
July 8th, 2021, 02:26 PM
So, I guess jersey sales would be a no-go with school logo?

Feel like this would be a major possible revenue source for players, especially stars at bigger schools.

It depends how serious the individual is about it, but most schools have a reasonable vendor structure where someone that wants to use their logo to sell things can do so if they pay an upfront fee and agree to share revenue. I assume this would work for a student athlete as well...? Here's SDSU's vendor application and details regarding fees. https://www.sdstate.edu/trademarks-licensing/apply-to-be-a-vendor

BEAR
July 15th, 2021, 06:36 PM
Conway, Ark. (July 15, 2021) – Today the Conway Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) announced plans to sign 30 student athletes from the University of Central Arkansas to “Name, Image, and Likeness” (NIL) agreements. The student athletes will be trained as “ambassadors and brand representatives” touting the Arkansas city’s quality of place and visitor amenities. The agreement between individual athletes and a public entity represents the first of its kind in the country.

https://conwayarkansas.org/news/2021/jul/15/conway-arkansas-cvb-ncca-nil/

30 athletes..... nice!

FUBeAR
August 13th, 2021, 08:26 AM
…and BYU (via Corporate sponsorship) just set the bar (paying tuition for all 36 walk-ons in the BYU Football program) that could, potentially, skim off the top 4,680 (36x130) current & (more likely) future FCS Players.

https://twitter.com/byufootball/status/1425853761713434625

#WeDontNeedNoStinkinScholarshipLimits #NILRipples

Professor Chaos
August 13th, 2021, 08:42 AM
…and BYU (via Corporate sponsorship) just set the bar (paying tuition for all 36 walk-ons in the BYU Football program) that could, potentially, skim off the top 4,680 (36x130) current & (more likely) future FCS Players.

It'll be interesting to see if Title IX comes into play here since the NIL deals were brokered by the school on behalf of the players. I'm guessing they're not also covering tuition for 36 womens athletes not on scholarship.

lionsrking2
August 13th, 2021, 08:44 AM

If the NCAA allows this, scholarship limits are no more.

ysubigred
August 13th, 2021, 12:25 PM
If the NCAA allows this, scholarship limits are no more.Wow.. no more amateur football at the div 1 level.. the FCS teams that can afford this is few but it'll sort itself out in short order..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nodak651
August 13th, 2021, 12:25 PM
Sorry, but these guys are not getting paid for their name, image, or likeness.

Per the ncaa, the new nil policy does not allow nil compensation contingent on enrollment at a particular institution - offering all BYU athletes scholarships sounds to me like it is contingent. Do these guys lose their endorsement if they leave BYU? My guess is yes. The NCAA also states that compensation based on athletic participation or achievement is not allowed - giving structured nil deals based on scholly/walk on directly violates this rule as well, imo. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/NIL/NIL_PolicyKeyTakeaways.pdf

nodak651
August 13th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Wow.. no more amateur football at the div 1 level.. the FCS teams that can afford this is few but it'll sort itself out in short order..

the FBS teams that can afford this is few but it'll sort itself out in short order..

ysubigred
August 13th, 2021, 12:31 PM
the FBS teams that can afford this is few but it'll sort itself out in short order..Umm.. the majority of the power 5 conferences schools can..

Daytripper
August 13th, 2021, 12:33 PM
Sorry, but these guys are not getting paid for their name, image, or likeness.

Per the ncaa, the new nil policy does not allow nil compensation contingent on enrollment at a particular institution - offering all BYU athletes scholarships sounds to me like it is contingent. Do these guys lose their endorsement if they leave BYU? My guess is yes. The NCAA also states that compensation based on athletic participation or achievement is not allowed - giving structured nil deals based on scholly/walk on directly violates this rule as well, imo. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/NIL/NIL_PolicyKeyTakeaways.pdf

I think BYU is setting itself up to challenge the very legality of "amateur" sports. Especially a private institution. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Lehigh Engineer
August 13th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Different sport but same topic...Lehigh's first NIL participant.

Following the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s decision to let college athletes profit financially from their own names, images and likeness, a Lehigh University softball player has signed a deal to help promote the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.

Lehigh University junior and marketing/management major Carley Barjaktarovich, the Patriot League Softball Defensive Player of the Year, recently became the Lehigh Valley’s first known college student to receive such a deal. It allows her to promote herself as an athlete in various ways, such as receiving endorsements for her own athletic brand-name clothing and logo.

She’s the first college athlete signed by the Allentown team to promote their merchandise and games and make public appearances through social media and other channels.

FUBeAR
August 22nd, 2022, 09:55 AM
How did Kennesaw’s OLine miss out on this deal? Hooters’ Global HQ is less than 15 minutes from the owlets’ stadium.https://twitter.com/darrenheitner/status/1561711453832372224oh…FUBeAR just noticed that Florida Atlantic’s OL is part of this deal. Guess they only had room for so many owls in the Hooters’ barn.

caribbeanhen
August 22nd, 2022, 12:47 PM

If I owned a restaurant and some player asked for $$$ for having his picture proudly hanging on my wall, I would just take the picture down and toss it out

that guy
August 22nd, 2022, 03:47 PM
How did Kennesaw’s OLine miss out on this deal? Hooters’ Global HQ is less than 15 minutes from the owlets’ stadium.https://twitter.com/darrenheitner/status/1561711453832372224oh…FUBeAR just noticed that Florida Atlantic’s OL is part of this deal. Guess they only had room for so many owls in the Hooters’ barn.
how do you have an owl for a mascot and get left behind on this. Hooty must be beside himself!

NY Crusader 2010
August 22nd, 2022, 05:37 PM
If I owned a restaurant and some player asked for $$$ for having his picture proudly hanging on my wall, I would just take the picture down and toss it out

I think the 1st Amendment of the Constitution might stand in the way of a player demanding $$ for this. 1A I believe covers freedom of the press. Basically, if you're in public, you effectively are consenting to being photographed or recorded. So I don't think any individual would have the right to tell a business to take down a photo that may contain their image.

FUBeAR
August 22nd, 2022, 06:03 PM
how do you have an owl for a mascot and get left behind on this. Hooty must be beside himself!
FUBeAR knows, right?

Let’s make it a little more painful for him by putting a spotlight on how (not) meaningful KSU Football is to the students & alumni of this commuter school….

The current COO of Hooters is a Kennesaw State man - https://www.linkedin.com/in/larry-linen-cfe … and even he left the owlets out of this NIL deal. xlolx

caribbeanhen
August 22nd, 2022, 06:08 PM
I think the 1st Amendment of the Constitution might stand in the way of a player demanding $$ for this. 1A I believe covers freedom of the press. Basically, if you're in public, you effectively are consenting to being photographed or recorded. So I don't think any individual would have the right to tell a business to take down a photo that may contain their image.

OK but that really wasn’t the point I was trying to make

bonarae
August 23rd, 2022, 06:31 AM
How about the two FCS schools with NIL collectives within their athletics programs, namely Grambling and Montana State?

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2022, 07:42 AM
How about the two FCS schools with NIL collectives within their athletics programs, namely Grambling and Montana State?
Don’t believe these NIL Collectives are “within their athletics programs,” but they are working very closely with those programs.

And let’s not forget Eastern Kentucky’s…

https://twitter.com/zmhsports1/status/1561777009549889539

MSUBobcat
August 23rd, 2022, 11:03 AM
While not going to be a major financial boon, this is the type of NIL deal I can get behind. Tommy Mellott signed with a small company out of Boise, run by a HS senior, to raise awareness for the new 988 suicide hotline. (https://406mtsports.com/406mtsports/montana-states-mellott-inks-nil-deal-with-holo-to-support-988-project/article_ef6465da-5b78-5cab-98b9-df4b6e76c036.html) This and the Cornhuskers' DeColdest Crawford deals are what NIL should be. Paying a kid big money to play football just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and doesn't seem like it'll be a good thing for college (amateur) sports.

nodak651
August 23rd, 2022, 11:23 AM
Do Montana State, Grambling, and EKU offer FCOA?

gumby013
August 23rd, 2022, 11:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAO8l17g9Q

POD Knows
August 23rd, 2022, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAO8l17g9QThat is painful to watch

Professor Chaos
August 23rd, 2022, 01:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAO8l17g9Q
This just reminds of Roger Dorn in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSYtsD2rCU

kab
August 23rd, 2022, 06:54 PM
I won’t buy something because an athlete supports that product
im smart enough to decide what I want to by without any influence from these kids

NY Crusader 2010
August 23rd, 2022, 08:23 PM
OK but that really wasn’t the point I was trying to make

It was a good point. And I would either do the same thing or just give them the picture and tell him or her to get the eff out, like Robert DeNiro the one time he tried to walk into an Italian restaurant in Morris Park.

ElCid
August 23rd, 2022, 08:48 PM
I won’t buy something because an athlete supports that product
im smart enough to decide what I want to by without any influence from these kids

Seriously! But there are those who would. Some people are mesmerized by endorsements and spokesmen. Makes you wonder.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2022, 07:39 PM
The Chattanooga Mocs have entered the modern mercenary era of college football and have laid the foundation to soon buy theirselves some better Players…

https://www.supportrepthec.com/

POD Knows
August 29th, 2022, 09:04 PM
This just reminds of Roger Dorn in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSYtsD2rCU
That ad Cam Miller did is enough to destroy anybodies self confidence. It might be bad enough to end the Bison dynasty.