PDA

View Full Version : The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

McCowboys
May 29th, 2021, 09:19 AM
As the breakup of the SLC nears, I just want to thank those of you (especially Sam Houston and UCA fans) who have kept the threads going about the SLC such as weekly game picks and such and for your insightfulness and information. Your schools are lucky to have such dedicated fans as you! Best of luck until we meet again in non-conference or playoff games.

Now the SLC begins to move forward post-break-up into this coming sports season and beyond with changes on the horizon: https://crescentcitysports.com/southland-approves-variety-of-changes-championship-sites-at-spring-meetings/

McNeese, as the longest permanent member, seems to be taking a leadership role. It looks as though most of the conference tournaments (such as basketball and baseball) will be moving to on-campus sites permanently after the 2021-22 season. The conference will host a pre-conference men's and women's basketball tournament in the first week of January 2022 before the start of the 14-game conference season with the postseason conference tournament in Katy, Texas, but maybe for the last year.

The SLC's football conference season is a strange one for this season with home-and-home games between conference members, as most of you know. At this point, there is nothing guaranteed about adding new members, but something may be announced this summer. I, for one, hope there is no rush to do this. I also hope that the conference does not add too many schools as to cut down on the opportunity to schedule quality out-of-conference opponents. This has been a difficulty the last few years.

acbearkat
May 29th, 2021, 09:21 AM
I wonder if they’ll see about getting A&M Corpus-Christi and UNO to add football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katfan
May 29th, 2021, 11:59 AM
As the breakup of the SLC nears, I just want to thank those of you (especially Sam Houston and UCA fans) who have kept the threads going about the SLC such as weekly game picks and such and for your insightfulness and information. Your schools are lucky to have such dedicated fans as you! Best of luck until we meet again in non-conference or playoff games.

Now the SLC begins to move forward post-break-up into this coming sports season and beyond with changes on the horizon: https://crescentcitysports.com/southland-approves-variety-of-changes-championship-sites-at-spring-meetings/

McNeese, as the longest permanent member, seems to be taking a leadership role. It looks as though most of the conference tournaments (such as basketball and baseball) will be moving to on-campus sites permanently after the 2021-22 season. The conference will host a pre-conference men's and women's basketball tournament in the first week of January 2022 before the start of the 14-game conference season with the postseason conference tournament in Katy, Texas, but maybe for the last year.

The SLC's football conference season is a strange one for this season with home-and-home games between conference members, as most of you know. At this point, there is nothing guaranteed about adding new members, but something may be announced this summer. I, for one, hope there is no rush to do this. I also hope that the conference does not add too many schools as to cut down on the opportunity to schedule quality out-of-conference opponents. This has been a difficulty the last few years.
Hope we schedule some out of conference games with you guys.

McNeese72
May 29th, 2021, 04:01 PM
McNeese may be taking the lead in the SLC for now but I keep hearing that our President and AD have bigger plans for the future. I know they have plans not just to rebuild the facilities damaged from the hurricanes but make significant improvements in them. May take several years for the long range plans so the McNeese fans need to be patient. So, there might be a reason why there is no return trip for the game that was just announced with Montana St at Bozeman in 2022.

acbearkat
May 29th, 2021, 04:13 PM
McNeese may be taking the lead in the SLC for now but I keep hearing that our President and AD have bigger plans for the future. I know they have plans not just to rebuild the facilities damaged from the hurricanes but make significant improvements in them. May take several years for the long range plans so the McNeese fans need to be patient. So, there might be a reason why there is no return trip for the game that was just announced with Montana St at Bozeman in 2022.

I’ll certainly be pulling for McNeese.

McCowboys
May 30th, 2021, 06:53 AM
At this point, I would imagine that only a few if any know what will happen beyond this coming season. However, I am trying to do some math. Currently in the SLC, there are 6 football playing schools. In announcing the game with Montana State in 2022, the article also mentions that McNeese will visit Rice and host Alcorn "to round out the nonconference portion of the season." Hmmmm. So with an 11-game season, McNeese would play the other 5 conference members and these three in nonconference -- and that adds up to 8 games. So that would mean three more conference games. ?

The question then becomes will the SLC have added three more football playing schools by the 2022 season, or Heaven forbid! will play another round-robin schedule of the 6 current football playing schools? Or a new conference for McNeese?

gokat89
May 30th, 2021, 07:33 AM
The Sam Houston/ McNeese games have always been entertaining. There should be some OOC games in my opinion.

However, here is my question. Why did it take 5 schools leaving the conference for McNeese to step up and be proactive taking a leading role in the conference? And I am not bashing McNeese because I think they have a good athletic program and a great fan base.

McCowboys
May 30th, 2021, 09:05 AM
The Sam Houston/ McNeese games have always been entertaining. There should be some OOC games in my opinion.

However, here is my question. Why did it take 5 schools leaving the conference for McNeese to step up and be proactive taking a leading role in the conference? And I am not bashing McNeese because I think they have a good athletic program and a great fan base.

Some other McNeese fans are more knowledgeable than I am, but my guess would be weak leadership in the role of our president and AD positions until Dr. Burckel and Heath Schroyer came along. McNeese went a year without a full-time AD until just recently, and previous to that, the AD was a joke for the most part.

McCowboys
May 30th, 2021, 09:31 AM

I would also add that when Frank Wilson was hired as the football coach, it was rumored that this hire would be one to lead McNeese in a different direction. Before that, we had a coach that led to McNeese being put on probation and ineligible for the playoffs due to the poor APR, and then had a football coach who stuck around only one year.

Then, right after Wilson is hired (December 2019), the country soon goes into a Covid-19 world of panic and lockdowns, followed by SW Louisiana being hit by two hurricanes. This area was literally and figuratively trying to keep its head above water and having to rebuild almost all of the facilities on a massive scale.

ST_Lawson
May 30th, 2021, 04:43 PM
I wonder if they’ll see about getting A&M Corpus-Christi and UNO to add football.

Ok, I give up...who's the UNO you're talking about? Is there a Northern Oklahoma I'm not aware of or something?

For me it's U of Nebraska-Omaha (a member of the Summit League who dropped football when they moved up from DII), but I'm sure you don't mean them.

McCowboys
May 30th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Ok, I give up...who's the UNO you're talking about?
For me it's U of Nebraska-Omaha (a member of the Summit League who dropped football when they moved up from DII), but I'm sure you don't mean them.

No, UNO to the Southland Conference usually means the University of New Orleans.
I think I read sometime ago they played club football, but it is unlikely either they or A&M-CC would start up football unless they received some kind of ultimatum.

acbearkat
May 30th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Ok, I give up...who's the UNO you're talking about?

University of New Orleans. The campus is located on the banks of the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain.

lionsrking2
May 30th, 2021, 04:52 PM
At this point, I would imagine that only a few if any know what will happen beyond this coming season. However, I am trying to do some math. Currently in the SLC, there are 6 football playing schools. In announcing the game with Montana State in 2022, the article also mentions that McNeese will visit Rice and host Alcorn "to round out the nonconference portion of the season." Hmmmm. So with an 11-game season, McNeese would play the other 5 conference members and these three in nonconference -- and that adds up to 8 games. So that would mean three more conference games. ?

The question then becomes will the SLC have added three more football playing schools by the 2022 season, or Heaven forbid! will play another round-robin schedule of the 6 current football playing schools? Or a new conference for McNeese?

From what I was told from a reputable source, any new conference member will come from a geographic footprint that goes as far north as Dallas, drawing a line extending down through Austin to San Antonio, across I-10 as far east as Hammond, La., and nothing south of I-10. Essentially meaning Prairie View, Texas Southern and/or Texas A&M-Commerce. Those are the three options based on the geographic criteria given. Southern and Grambling were ruled out.

ST_Lawson
May 30th, 2021, 05:05 PM
No, UNO to the Southland Conference usually means the University of New Orleans.
I think I read sometime ago they played club football, but it is unlikely either they or A&M-CC would start up football unless they received some kind of ultimatum.

University of New Orleans. The campus is located on the banks of the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain.

Thank you both. That makes a great deal more sense. I was unaware of U of New Orleans.

McCowboys
May 30th, 2021, 05:39 PM
From what I was told from a reputable source, any new conference member will come from a geographic footprint that goes as far north as Dallas, drawing a line extending down through Austin to San Antonio, across I-10 as far east as Hammond, La., and nothing south of I-10. Essentially meaning Prairie View, Texas Southern and/or Texas A&M-Commerce. Those are the three options based on the geographic criteria given. Southern and Grambling were ruled out.

Interesting

lionsrking2
May 30th, 2021, 06:43 PM
Interesting

Yep. I've been ready to leave. Wish the Louisiana schools would talk with A-SUN and form an east/west setup that would work for everyone.

Also heard the league will no longer be called the Southland. Have no clue what the new name will be but its changing. League office is staying in Frisco because apparently that's where all the corporate money is. Makes no sense.

katss07
May 30th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Yep. I've been ready to leave. Wish the Louisiana schools would talk with A-SUN and form an east/west setup that would work for everyone.

Also heard the league will no longer be called the Southland. Have no clue what the new name will be but its changing. League office is staying in Frisco because apparently that's where all the corporate money is. Makes no sense.
Curious to ask someone a bit more familiar with the situation, what are the chances that the Louisiana 4 would breakup due to conference realignment? Is that a possibility or will it be hindered by the political side of things?

Pretty disappointed we’re leaving the SLC. Not looking forward to the WAC.

acbearkat
May 30th, 2021, 07:43 PM
Curious to ask someone a bit more familiar with the situation, what are the chances that the Louisiana 4 would breakup due to conference realignment? Is that a possibility or will it be hindered by the political side of things?

The Southland would have been strong in fall if the WAC and ASUN stuff didn’t happen.

katss07
May 30th, 2021, 08:24 PM
The Southland would have been strong in fall if the WAC and ASUN stuff didn’t happen.

It would’ve been fun for years to come, especially with the improvements being made to Nicholls’ program and facilities, SELA’s apparent return to contention and the continued, surprising development of UIW turning into a playoff contender.

But I guess those matchups with Dixie State (or whatever the **** they’ll end up calling themselves) and Tarleton State were too good to pass up! Can’t wait to see the Bearkats play regional foes like California Baptist and SeattleU in athletics! **** yeah Bobby Williams!

Puddin Tane
May 30th, 2021, 10:23 PM

finally! I’m not alone! I think this whole WACk thing is crapola. Don’t care about Utah, California, or Arizona. Tarelton and the valley? Big whoop.

Puddin Tane
May 30th, 2021, 10:33 PM
I see we play Nwst (and ulm) in 2023. Nwst in 2024

where’s mcneese?? They give us the finger cuz we left?

McCowboys
May 31st, 2021, 07:35 AM
I see we play Nwst (and ulm) in 2023. Nwst in 2024

where’s mcneese?? They give us the finger cuz we left?

I would hope not. It is most likely that McNeese had already filled its nonconference schedule for the next two or three years (possibly Lamar has, too) and/or the teams did not have any compatible dates to play. I did hear in a couple of places that a possible home-and-home, maybe the first game of the season, could be a yearly thing, but (and I think this came from someone associated with Lamar), it would take a few years to get schedules coordinated. Other than when McNeese plays Southern or Grambling, Lamar is usually the best attended games in Cowboy Stadium as far as visiting fans go. Pluck the Cards! ;-) Lamar is a good rivalry for McNeese in all sports. I sure hope nonconference games in basketball, baseball, etc. will be arranged.

WestCoastAggie
May 31st, 2021, 09:00 AM
Interesting

It’s most likely Commerce.

McCowboys
May 31st, 2021, 09:20 AM
It’s most likely Commerce.

That is possible. I have also noticed that Prairie View has scheduled future games with a few SLC schools.

Panther88
May 31st, 2021, 10:30 AM
That is possible. I have also noticed that Prairie View has scheduled future games with a few SLC schools.

I'm sure PVAMU will schedule more, as will other SWAC schools as well, considering both conference's footprints. Perhaps an SLC/SWAC challenge could spark interest if there is a positive ROI for both.

txa&m-commerce will be the best available option for the SLC. The only move PVAMU would attempt to make, as backed by the system, would be towards fbs, not a lateral move to a neighboring fcs conference.

lionsrking2
May 31st, 2021, 10:31 PM
I'm sure PVAMU will schedule more, as will other SWAC schools as well, considering both conference's footprints. Perhaps an SLC/SWAC challenge could spark interest if there is a positive ROI for both.

txa&m-commerce will be the best available option for the SLC. The only move PVAMU would attempt to make, as backed by the system, would be towards fbs, not a lateral move to a neighboring fcs conference.
I agree Commerce is the best option but you're fooling yourself if you don't think PVU is a possibility.

Panther88
May 31st, 2021, 11:24 PM
I agree Commerce is the best option but you're fooling yourself if you don't think PVU is a possibility.

The alumni base would pitch a fit. We are the last charter member of tbe SWAC. It is fbs or remain stagnant where we are.

What gains would PVAMU have in the current SLC set vs the new and improved, stronger, SWAC aided w/ the arrival of storied FAMU & BCU?

chrisattsu
June 1st, 2021, 07:50 PM
From what I was told from a reputable source, any new conference member will come from a geographic footprint that goes as far north as Dallas, drawing a line extending down through Austin to San Antonio, across I-10 as far east as Hammond, La., and nothing south of I-10. Essentially meaning Prairie View, Texas Southern and/or Texas A&M-Commerce. Those are the three options based on the geographic criteria given. Southern and Grambling were ruled out.If you are drawing the borders that exact, that doesn't leave many options.

Commerce is the most likely candidate.

DFW has d2 Texas Woman's University and and Dallas Baptist. Maybe DBU is going move their other sports up with their baseball.

Austin and San Antonio have St Edwards and St Marys. Neither play play football.

Outside the box thinking, the TAMU System Chancellor wants to merge Corpus with Kingsville. Doing this could add another football team if they just absorbed the Kingsville campus

There are not any footballs in Austin or San Antonio

DFW HOYA
June 1st, 2021, 08:24 PM
If you are drawing the borders that exact, that doesn't leave many options.

UNO, with football at Tad Gormley Stadium?

Laker
June 1st, 2021, 10:16 PM
If you are drawing the borders that exact, that doesn't leave many options.

Commerce is the most likely candidate.

DFW has d2 Texas Woman's University and and Dallas Baptist. Maybe DBU is going move their other sports up with their baseball.

Austin and San Antonio have St Edwards and St Marys. Neither play play football.

Outside the box thinking, the TAMU System Chancellor wants to merge Corpus with Kingsville. Doing this could add another football team if they just absorbed the Kingsville campus

There are not any footballs in Austin or San Antonio

Back when HBU went D1 I talked to a DBU grad about moving to D1. She thought that it was a joke that HBU was going to and said that DBU had way more money and a great D1 baseball program. This many years later and they still haven't done so.

How far is it from Kingsville to Corpus if they pull that off?

What about West Texas A&M? More likely a WAC candidate?

acbearkat
June 1st, 2021, 10:19 PM
Back when HBU went D1 I talked to a DBU grad about moving to D1. She thought that it was a joke that HBU was going to and said that DBU had way more money and a great D1 baseball program. This many years later and they still haven't done so.

Kingsville isn’t far from Corpus Christi.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210602/8de7ddc0f4e19372f0d6d68e849d4882.jpg

Panther88
June 2nd, 2021, 09:07 AM
If the SLC desires an a&m system school with access(es) to the larger houston/dfw metro areas, naturally, txa&m-commerce would be a great fit from the dfw metro area. Good luck combating strongly pushed tcu, smu, unt-denton footballers.

Has the SLC investigated TWU (texas wesleyan univ) rebooting its football program recently? PQC (Paul Quinn College)? lol

How about some of the ever bulging CC systems to determine if they desire to leap in the d-1 lake of football'dom (lone star, hcc, dcc, et al)?

acbearkat
June 2nd, 2021, 11:39 AM

Dallas Baptist also has a much better baseball facility than Houston Baptist does. HBU's baseball facility does not have lights, and their football stadium is one of the worst in Division I. Many high schools in the state of Texas have better football stadiums than HBU.

ASU33
June 2nd, 2021, 02:05 PM

PVU has already said not only no but hell to the no!

katss07
June 2nd, 2021, 04:55 PM
PVU has already said not only no but hell to the no!
Interesting, I read in Matt Brown’s recent Extra Point’s article that PVAMU, Grambling, Southern and Texas Southern remain the top targets of SLC officials should they choose to expand the conference. Unless Brown is flat out wrong (he’s been spot on concerning other WAC, SLC and ASUN rumors/news) then I doubt PVAMU has said no to the SLC yet, much less hell to the no. Article goes on to state that people within the industry expect the SWAC schools to do their due diligence, even though it’s unlikely they bolt for the Southland considering the SLC’s clear downward trend (and the SWAC’s clear upward).

Honestly, I don’t think anybody EXPECTS them to leave. But it’s still something the Southland considers a possibility I guess.

Another interesting bit from the mailbag, the Southland is (reportedly) avoiding the consideration of D2 schools, which would rule out the possibility of Commerce. Maybe their position changes if/when the SWAC schools turns them down. But it seems like TAMU Commerce, West Texas A&M, Angelo State or any other LSC school are out of the running. That’s a mistake in my opinion.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2021, 10:33 PM
Why not McNeese St and SELA to the SWAC? xreadx

McNeese72
June 3rd, 2021, 03:46 PM

Long range goal after rebuilding with better facilities is for bigger apples. We have a president, AD, and administration now that is not afraid to dream big.

Doc

katss07
June 3rd, 2021, 05:32 PM
McNeese hasn’t been shy about not committing long term, although they have consistently stated that as a longtime member and now the flagship school, they care about the fate of the league.

“McNeese has consistently stated they want to have a say in where the conference is headed, however they maintain that does not mean they won’t look elsewhere. This includes a potential move to Football Bowl Subdivision. “I would never say never to anything” said McNeese State Athletic Director Heath Schroyer. “We have to position ourselves to make our own decisions in the future and to do what’s best for us. We want to decide the future. Not have others dictate or circumstances dictate.”

McNeese has long been a Southland power, so seeing the other big schools in the conference leave has probably left them uneasy, I’d imagine. Would the ASUN be interested down the line? Maybe the WAC? It’s had a Louisiana footprint before... McNeese would be a great add. They have a brand new state of the art 5,000 seat basketball arena. Their baseball team just won the SLC Tournament, and the WAC sponsors a baseball league that they’re looking to grow. And obviously the football tradition to match anyone. FBS as a long term goal seems about as realistic as Sam, SFA and Lamar’s, might as well take a shot!

Panther88
June 5th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Long range goal after rebuilding with better facilities is for bigger apples. We have a president, AD, and administration now that is not afraid to dream big.

Doc
Good deal w/ the facilities upgrade, considering the torment to get there (water damage/numerous hurricanes).

The arms race appears to be facility based over a duration and now fbs schools still seek to segregate themselves even more from others who are not P5 or G5. (legal pay for play-stipends)

I pondered a SWAC w/ Mac & actually NwST due to profile and geographic location. It's no secret our PV grad'd SWAC comm and support staff are keeping the final objective for the conference alive: all graduate to fbs or bust.

In texas, there are low-level G5ers (rice, uofh, unt, txst, smu, ...) and in La there are low-level G5ers (ulm, latech, ull, ...) who can easily be "tapped" upon our schools entering the fbs ranks.

gokat89
June 5th, 2021, 03:13 PM
McNeese hasn’t been shy about not committing long term, although they have consistently stated that as a longtime member and now the flagship school, they care about the fate of the league.

“McNeese has consistently stated they want to have a say in where the conference is headed, however they maintain that does not mean they won’t look elsewhere. This includes a potential move to Football Bowl Subdivision. “I would never say never to anything” said McNeese State Athletic Director Heath Schroyer. “We have to position ourselves to make our own decisions in the future and to do what’s best for us. We want to decide the future. Not have others dictate or circumstances dictate.”

McNeese has long been a Southland power, so seeing the other big schools in the conference leave has probably left them uneasy, I’d imagine. Would the ASUN be interested down the line? Maybe the WAC? It’s had a Louisiana footprint before... McNeese would be a great add. They have a brand new state of the art 5,000 seat basketball arena. Their baseball team just won the SLC Tournament, and the WAC sponsors a baseball league that they’re looking to grow. And obviously the football tradition to match anyone. FBS as a long term goal seems about as realistic as Sam, SFA and Lamar’s, might as well take a shot!

I dont know why McNeese and the WAC dont attempt to get together. Would be another strong FCS program in the conference.

BEAR
June 5th, 2021, 03:22 PM
It will be weird not being in the SLC. Hope to play our old conference foes as OOC games in the near future...apart from the AQ7 that is...

Cocky
June 6th, 2021, 09:14 AM
Why would a SWAC school leave for anything other than FBS?

Daytripper
June 6th, 2021, 09:58 AM
Why would a SWAC school leave for anything other than FBS?

They wouldn't.

ASU33
June 7th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Southern and Grambling would both like to have McNeese in the conference.

dgtw
June 7th, 2021, 04:20 PM
Southern and Grambling would both like to have McNeese in the conference.

What are the chances of a PWC joining the SWAC?

lionsrking2
June 7th, 2021, 04:41 PM
What are the chances of a PWC joining the SWAC?

Nil unless the SWAC elects to accept autobid to FCS playoffs.

ASU33
June 7th, 2021, 09:14 PM
Nil unless the SWAC elects to accept autobid to FCS playoffs.

Then it's nil. The Celebration Bowl contract has been signed and extended for 6 more years.

Professor
June 8th, 2021, 09:54 AM
I think the ASUN and Southland should merge. Because those 4 schools leaving the SWAC isn't happening

Daytripper
June 8th, 2021, 10:10 AM
I think the ASUN and Southland should merge. Because those 4 schools leaving the SWAC isn't happening

If the ASUN is forming to eventually make an FBS leap (not sure what their plans are) then I don't know if the Southland would work. From everything I have heard and read, the main reason the Texas 4 left the Southland in the first place was the perceived lack of financial commitment to athletics in the what is left of the Southland. UIW and HBU have poor facilities. Louisiana overall is in a huge budget crunch which I think precludes any significant uptick in athletic dollars. They are just in a really tight bind.

McNeese72
June 8th, 2021, 10:24 AM
If the ASUN is forming to eventually make an FBS leap (not sure what their plans are) then I don't know if the Southland would work. From everything I have heard and read, the main reason the Texas 4 left the Southland in the first place was the perceived lack of financial commitment to athletics in the what is left of the Southland. UIW and HBU have poor facilities. Louisiana overall is in a huge budget crunch which I think precludes any significant uptick in athletic dollars. They are just in a really tight bind.

Give McNeese a few years. We have some people in place in the administration now that have vision for the future of McNeese. Won't be the same do as we always do attitude anymore.

Doc

Daytripper
June 8th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Give McNeese a few years. We have some people in place in the administration now that have vision for the future of McNeese. Won't be the same do as we always do attitude anymore.

Doc

That is great to hear. Selfishly, I want you guys in my conference wherever it may be. If Lamar is considered a regional fit for the WAC, no reason McNeese couldn't join. But it seems to me that the ASUN might be a better fit for you guys in the long run.

lionsrking2
June 8th, 2021, 12:31 PM
That is great to hear. Selfishly, I want you guys in my conference wherever it may be. If Lamar is considered a regional fit for the WAC, no reason McNeese couldn't join. But it seems to me that the ASUN might be a better fit for you guys in the long run.

A-SUN is a better fit for all of us.

Daytripper
June 8th, 2021, 02:49 PM
A-SUN is a better fit for all of us.

I agree. Unless the Southland leadership can pull a rabbit out of a hat, I think the SLC is done. The best bet is to get in a up and coming conference like the ASUN.

ASU33
June 8th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Can any of you Southland guys explain what lead to everyone wanting to leave the conference?

Daytripper
June 8th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Can any of you Southland guys explain what lead to everyone wanting to leave the conference?

There has been a widening divide in the conference between the haves and the have nots. It began when HBU and UIW were allowed into the conference. The Texas 4 didn't want them because of their lack of facilities and athletic budget. SLC leadership wanted the Houston and San Antonio media markets. The LA schools were sort of stuck in the middle. As the overall competitiveness of the conference, especially in basketball, did not improve the Texas 4 saw an opportunity to improve long term by joining the WAC. Especially in basketball, they see the WAC as a more lucrative and respected conference. I think the football WAC (not the ASUN/WAC combo) is weak at this point, but the addition of SUU and Tarleton (transitioning) will help it eventually be a top half competitive FCS football conference.

TheRevSFA
June 8th, 2021, 03:30 PM
The problem with the Southland is the lack of leadership they have. Burnett shouldn't be the commissioner anymore. The guy has effectively ran the conference into the ground and it sucks for the remaining schools. I don't think NW State, Nicholls, SLU, McNeese would all get an ASUN invite, and that would lave some schools out in the cold.

acbearkat
June 8th, 2021, 03:47 PM
There has been a widening divide in the conference between the haves and the have nots. It began when HBU and UIW were allowed into the conference. The Texas 4 didn't want them because of their lack of facilities and athletic budget. SLC leadership wanted the Houston and San Antonio media markets. The LA schools were sort of stuck in the middle. As the overall competitiveness of the conference, especially in basketball, did not improve the Texas 4 saw an opportunity to improve long term by joining the WAC. Especially in basketball, they see the WAC as a more lucrative and respected conference. I think the football WAC (not the ASUN/WAC combo) is weak at this point, but the addition of SUU and Tarleton (transitioning) will help it eventually be a top half competitive FCS football conference.

The Southland already had the Houston market covered with Sam Houston, considering Huntsville is in the Greater Houston area, so the idea of adding HBU to get the Houston market made no sense, and most of our alumni live in the Houston area or the Bryan/College Station area. UIW, from what I understand, has made improvements to its baseball, softball, and basketball facilities, but the decision to add Houston Baptist made absolutely zero sense, and still doesn't. HBU hasn't been competitive in much of anything, whereas UIW has made strides to be competitive in football, and had Patrick Hallmark (who did an excellent job there) for two years as head baseball coach, and he to become the head baseball coach at UTSA, and he's a finalist for the Rice job, along with former SHSU assistant Sean Allen, who is currently David Pierce's pitching coach at UT (Allen has been with Pierce for the last ten seasons, starting with Pierce's three year run at Sam and was made pitching coach at Texas after the 2019 season).

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2021, 07:46 AM

COVID also drove the divide, bad feelings even more . Brad Teague brought this up.

And in addition to what was said, there was beef about broadcasting that the SLC refused to address. All the departing schools were putting out ESPN qualifying broadcasts and only Southeastern was doing the same. Hurt the exposure of the league, the schools and accessibility for fans. The SLC is finally addressing this now but it’s too little, too late

The growing financial, competitive gap was a thing.. the expansion miscues (oddly enough, SFA president Baker Patillo was leading the expansion committee)... and more that basically tied into status quo and not advancing the league

McNeese72
June 9th, 2021, 10:37 AM

From what I hear, our administration has bigger aspirations. May take several years, though.

Doc

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2021, 12:09 PM
From what I hear, our administration has bigger aspirations. May take several years, though.

How much of this is the athletic director vs. the university's administration?

And I am still curious if the Louisiana System will allow McNeese to "breakaway" from the other schools particularly if it leaves the other schools in athletic purgatory/peril? That may not be an issue in a few years but certainly right now if a McNeese or Southeastern were to leave the Southland, the remainder of the school(s) could be in quite a bit of a predicament.

BEAR
June 9th, 2021, 01:49 PM
COVID also drove the divide, bad feelings even more . Brad Teague brought this up.

And in addition to what was said, there was beef about broadcasting that the SLC refused to address. All the departing schools were putting out ESPN qualifying broadcasts and only Southeastern was doing the same. Hurt the exposure of the league, the schools and accessibility for fans. The SLC is finally addressing this now but it’s too little, too late

The growing financial, competitive gap was a thing.. the expansion miscues (oddly enough, SFA president Baker Patillo was leading the expansion committee)... and more that basically tied into status quo and not advancing the league

I'm honestly surprised we still have Brad Teague as our A.D. The man is an organizer and highly motivated to do what's best for UCA. With the little budget we got he was able to get us into Division I and make us competitive in many sports. Now we need to take that next step and make competitiveness more consistent. But I think Brad was right. It was time to move along since the SLC wasn't changing its ways. xlolx

Daytripper
June 9th, 2021, 02:12 PM
I'm honestly surprised we still have Brad Teague as our A.D. The man is an organizer and highly motivated to do what's best for UCA. With the little budget we got he was able to get us into Division I and make us competitive in many sports. Now we need to take that next step and make competitiveness more consistent. But I think Brad was right. It was time to move along since the SLC wasn't changing its ways. xlolx

The way of the world...adapt and grow or die.

McNeese72
June 9th, 2021, 02:26 PM

And I am still curious if the Louisiana System will allow McNeese to "breakaway" from the other schools particularly if it leaves the other schools in athletic purgatory/peril? That may not be an issue in a few years but certainly right now if a McNeese or Southeastern were to leave the Southland, the remainder of the school(s) could be in quite a bit of a predicament.

Answer to the first. It is both. It started with the University President Darryl Burckel. He was a starting linebacker on one of McNeese Southland Conference teams that played in the Independence Bowl back in the late 70's. So, he is pro sports and remembers the McNeese heydays of the 70's and 80's before we dropped down to I-AA (back then). He still referees high school games in the fall when he has time. He hired the basketball coach, Heath Schroyer, as A.D.. Heath is an enthusiastic go-getter and looks to be a very good fund raiser. He also hired a Vice-President who could make it as a motivational speaker or as a used car salesman. If this group can't make it happen at McNeese, nobody can.

To the second question. There are 9 universities in the University of Louisiana system, 3 of which are already FBS. One of the of 9 is Grambling, who does their own thing and another is UNO which doesn't play football. So, the system is already split between FCS and FBS as it is.

Doc

lionsrking2
June 9th, 2021, 03:04 PM

Unfortunately, the political climate won't allow the schools to go separate ways. It's all or none, together, from what I'm hearing. That's the reason why we didn't play our guarantee games in the fall.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately, the political climate won't allow the schools to go separate ways. It's all or none, together, from what I'm hearing. That's the reason why we didn't play our guarantee games in the fall.

This is what I was thinking

Doc’s comments about being split already are great - but those schools outside the five Southland schools all have leagues. If one or even more so two schools leave the Southland, the remaining Louisiana System schools are not in a viable league anymore (conceivably) and I do not think the Louisiana system would want two or three schools floating in obscurity as Independents. The Southland until we see some movement to add schools is on a lifeboat

Puddin Tane
June 9th, 2021, 09:36 PM
Maybe somebody will tell ULM that they suck and should drop down.

lionsrking2
June 9th, 2021, 11:08 PM
That point has been made perfectly clear over many years yet they fail to listen.

ASU33
June 10th, 2021, 12:15 PM

People have been telling them that for years!

acbearkat
June 16th, 2021, 03:20 PM
Southeastern Louisiana added Anthony Scelfo (the son of the head coach) as tight ends coach, recruiting and passing game coordinator, and promoted Raymond Monica to be the defensive coordinator.

Southeastern football team adds Anthony Scelfo as tight ends coach, promotes Raymond Monica to defensive coordinator | Sports | theadvocate.com (https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/article_fff198a2-ce35-11eb-aecc-cbd37f373ed0.html)

McCowboys
June 17th, 2021, 08:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX_MwGJUTT4

Wake Up Call with Dan Tortora continues our Country-Wide Focus on Collegiate Athletics with Southland Conference Commissioner Tom Burnett followed by Southern Conference Commissioner Jim Schaus & the "Ingredients to Success" Proudly Presented by Avicolli's Restaurant!

katss07
June 30th, 2021, 11:50 PM
Well this is it, the final minutes of Sam Houston’s 34 year Southland tenure are ticking away. Well over a quarter of a century, and a lot different than when we joined... a lot different looking than even just 10 years ago. I get the conference leadership has made some poor decisions, but I’m sad we’re leaving. It disappoints me that so many Texas 4 fans are eager to leave and spitting on the Southland on the way out. It’s a significantly better football conference than the WAC and will be for the foreseeable future.

Of course there are a plethora of reasons that the Texas 4 are leaving for the WAC, and I’m looking forward to some aspects of the new conference. But I’ll miss seeing SLU, McNeese, NWST, Nicholls, UCA and UIW in Huntsville. And I think the SHSU faithful will too when they’re watching Southern Utah and Utah Polytechnic State in a few years. I’ll certainly miss Cowboy Stadium. I’ll miss the Cajun food in Louisiana and the Mexican food in San Antonio. I’ll miss the the easy travel, the southern hospitality and the ugly ass stripes. I’ll miss the missed calls and I’ll certainly miss the crazy offense (or lack of defense). I’ll miss the rivalries that have been formed over decades. I’ll miss the weird things that go on in Turpin Stadium. I’ll miss Cox Sports. I’ll miss the muggy bayou heat. I’ll miss the 9 conference games, and the CVS behind the visitors sideline at Husky Stadium. I’ll miss Southland media day in Houston and the annual buildup to the season in East Texas and Louisiana. I’ll miss seeing the SLC logo on our field from August into December. I’ll miss the sense of academic and athletic partnership, the idea of regional, alike institutions being in a conference together. That’s what the SLC was for so long. I’ll really miss the Southland and I’m disappointed we’re leaving.

I get there are “greener pastures” (I’ve yet to see them) but I enjoyed the SLC and wish we were staying! And best of luck to the remaining schools.

BigGreenTruck
July 1st, 2021, 12:52 AM

Doc

As strong as McNeese State was in the late 80s and 90s, I always thought they would have jumped around the same time Boise State and Marshall did. But I also thought Georgia Southern and Appy State would jump much sooner too.

McCowboys
July 1st, 2021, 06:40 AM
Well this is it, the final minutes of Sam Houston’s 34 year Southland tenure are ticking away. Well over a quarter of a century, and a lot different than when we joined... a lot different looking than even just 10 years ago. I get the conference leadership has made some poor decisions, but I’m sad we’re leaving. It disappoints me that so many Texas 4 fans are eager to leave and spitting on the Southland on the way out. It’s a significantly better football conference than the WAC and will be for the foreseeable future.

Of course there are a plethora of reasons that the Texas 4 are leaving for the WAC, and I’m looking forward to some aspects of the new conference. But I’ll miss seeing SLU, McNeese, NWST, Nicholls, UCA and UIW in Huntsville. And I think the SHSU faithful will too when they’re watching Southern Utah and Utah Polytechnic State in a few years. I’ll certainly miss Cowboy Stadium. I’ll miss the Cajun food in Louisiana and the Mexican food in San Antonio. I’ll miss the the easy travel, the southern hospitality and the ugly ass stripes. I’ll miss the missed calls and I’ll certainly miss the crazy offense (or lack of defense). I’ll miss the rivalries that have been formed over decades. I’ll miss the weird things that go on in Turpin Stadium. I’ll miss Cox Sports. I’ll miss the muggy bayou heat. I’ll miss the 9 conference games, and the CVS behind the visitors sideline at Husky Stadium. I’ll miss Southland media day in Houston and the annual buildup to the season in East Texas and Louisiana. I’ll miss seeing the SLC logo on our field from August into December. I’ll miss the sense of academic and athletic partnership, the idea of regional, alike institutions being in a conference together. That’s what the SLC was for so long. I’ll really miss the Southland and I’m disappointed we’re leaving.

I get there are “greener pastures” (I’ve yet to see them) but I enjoyed the SLC and wish we were staying! And best of luck to the remaining schools.

xthumbsupxxdrunkyxxbowx Best of luck to all! I am sure somewhere down the road we will schedule non-conference contests in the various sports and meet up in playoffs. Till we meet again.....

McCowboys
July 1st, 2021, 06:42 AM
As the exodus is complete, many McNeese fans are incensed with Commissioner Burnett and the SLC as we have been many times for many reasons over the years.

This is just another kick in the nuts: https://www.cbslakecharles.tv/mcneese-state-sports/southland-misses-the-boat-again/

Daytripper
July 1st, 2021, 10:43 AM
As the exodus is complete, many McNeese fans are incensed with Commissioner Burnett and the SLC as we have been many times for many reasons over the years.

This is just another kick in the nuts: https://www.cbslakecharles.tv/mcneese-state-sports/southland-misses-the-boat-again/

Yep. I read that article and he is spot on It is that general incompetence and lack of foresight that led the Texas 4 to leave. I really wish McNeese might consider joining us. You fit geographically with the Texas teams.

SHSU90
July 1st, 2021, 12:39 PM

I will miss some of it but excited about the future and I think the football will quickly be a comparable conference with an upside

Puddin Tane
July 2nd, 2021, 11:01 PM
Well this is it, the final minutes of Sam HoustonÂ’s 34 year Southland tenure are ticking away. Well over a quarter of a century, and a lot different than when we joined... a lot different looking than even just 10 years ago. I get the conference leadership has made some poor decisions, but IÂ’m sad weÂ’re leaving. It disappoints me that so many Texas 4 fans are eager to leave and spitting on the Southland on the way out. ItÂ’s a significantly better football conference than the WAC and will be for the foreseeable future.

Of course there are a plethora of reasons that the Texas 4 are leaving for the WAC, and IÂ’m looking forward to some aspects of the new conference. But IÂ’ll miss seeing SLU, McNeese, NWST, Nicholls, UCA and UIW in Huntsville. And I think the SHSU faithful will too when theyÂ’re watching Southern Utah and Utah Polytechnic State in a few years. IÂ’ll certainly miss Cowboy Stadium. IÂ’ll miss the Cajun food in Louisiana and the Mexican food in San Antonio. IÂ’ll miss the the easy travel, the southern hospitality and the ugly ass stripes. IÂ’ll miss the missed calls and IÂ’ll certainly miss the crazy offense (or lack of defense). IÂ’ll miss the rivalries that have been formed over decades. IÂ’ll miss the weird things that go on in Turpin Stadium. IÂ’ll miss Cox Sports. IÂ’ll miss the muggy bayou heat. IÂ’ll miss the 9 conference games, and the CVS behind the visitors sideline at Husky Stadium. IÂ’ll miss Southland media day in Houston and the annual buildup to the season in East Texas and Louisiana. IÂ’ll miss seeing the SLC logo on our field from August into December. IÂ’ll miss the sense of academic and athletic partnership, the idea of regional, alike institutions being in a conference together. ThatÂ’s what the SLC was for so long. IÂ’ll really miss the Southland and IÂ’m disappointed weÂ’re leaving.

I’ll miss playing in towns that ive been to and know where they are! All i know about the Wack is the schools are way over there somewhere...

looking forward to rivalry week with Cal Bab or Dixie not Dixie Utah polyurethane tech statexsmhx

lionsrking2
July 7th, 2021, 12:23 PM
New turf in Strawberry Stadium is down
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:https://www.anygivensaturday.com/33667f52-faee-4d61-ae54-5e453983c3ea

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:https://www.anygivensaturday.com/285fe399-6257-47de-9f3d-05af2f26e253

FormerPokeCenter
July 7th, 2021, 01:57 PM

I don't know that you can lay this entirely at the feet of the conference. I've got some very recent experience trying to bring an event to LC, and it's almost like the Casino folks didn't wanna screw with it. Their bid was ridiculous. I get that they're jammed up on weekends, but this was for a Mon-Wednesday event. If the SLC's experience was anything like ours, the money just wasn't right and when you have to be cognizant of budgetary considerations, the hotel stays alone are enough to keep people away...

Contrast that with Baton Rouge, where the hotel and conference centers bent over backwards and the local tourism center even gave us a $1000 grant to use toward the cost of the conference. As big a McNeese homer as I am, even I'm siding with the SLC on this one...I wanna help, but the bid has to be competitive...and the bid has to be submitted timely, not at 11:59 pm on the bid deadline.....I'm guessing they've had some staff turnover and my not have seasoned pros doing the bid stuff for non-peak time events, but...still.

Daytripper
July 7th, 2021, 02:25 PM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:https://www.anygivensaturday.com/33667f52-faee-4d61-ae54-5e453983c3ea

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:https://www.anygivensaturday.com/285fe399-6257-47de-9f3d-05af2f26e253
Pics?

McCowboys
July 7th, 2021, 05:16 PM

I've seen pics and it is very nice! A re-branding of the logo and lettering and new turf! Lots to be proud of! I think the final reveal will be in a week?

lionsrking2
July 7th, 2021, 09:10 PM
https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/28/202107/2_b15dd9ec4f1c624e2fc876e491832d89_t.jpg?Expires=1 625881945&Signature=em7n52nq5cNRlzIjPL0w~zKElpB61ikaLxKxU8H9 FRiiTbHJFmTDUGoRa4aW3VE2DDc7Vc78iBYOr~3BRGVPcIekFu ~m420yV34uWRiixTZXnKslfXJuSNRzsxg0JcIwqa83i7TNH3TB sit8pH82OPt5fOw4eHdQZjbmcZWvU2MflA1VIUFXiUXtxpqZ5b JCSQM4dWzTzfczp8~q0RT55rPiyMIucnBChVohoi~Kj9sFhQoh roord5s3Bdktfh7MKQqqRpzdd~Zn0Z43bPfhqj8qsEz6npjljx eZvCV3DuD~eLwPP5c3HHQA2aRcbsbV8Uz5OYTa5soJfsGEVjAw ~A__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

- - - Updated - - -

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/28/202107/2_139ff1e26660661f0054be6e462a5867_t.jpg?Expires=1 625883216&Signature=ftokukw~Ngn1PqIZy3WRmwmjYwJcNqZ~ZRsQPTEQ d4rXcawaNCswpQZKLc3HkpKPyHHEbeijKsXVCpTMn9w25TRh6l mJNA4gdkIhLpBkRer3xz86tnwf6axeQrQqzeTg0otuNv6tOFB4 qLvdJJpqufN-e1lsiX1jq~HEsCaCyHVONjffBbnFHcaBSWHnpIWyP~KUtx9NoD FxAD97J8xu29M1md-OG5DAN22smLOe2rWq~uitQALKQEFsMbXtkPYlDzEN-JEg4pp7qFUA~tnx0nyl7bTo1hxk3uBjfFPhjvT9lvlH8JaY-xgji0YlBkDm278pESDNB3XcPzQAX3aTXg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

acbearkat
July 7th, 2021, 09:10 PM
A new logo?

acbearkat
July 7th, 2021, 09:11 PM
https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/28/202107/2_b15dd9ec4f1c624e2fc876e491832d89_t.jpg?Expires=1 625881945&Signature=em7n52nq5cNRlzIjPL0w~zKElpB61ikaLxKxU8H9 FRiiTbHJFmTDUGoRa4aW3VE2DDc7Vc78iBYOr~3BRGVPcIekFu ~m420yV34uWRiixTZXnKslfXJuSNRzsxg0JcIwqa83i7TNH3TB sit8pH82OPt5fOw4eHdQZjbmcZWvU2MflA1VIUFXiUXtxpqZ5b JCSQM4dWzTzfczp8~q0RT55rPiyMIucnBChVohoi~Kj9sFhQoh roord5s3Bdktfh7MKQqqRpzdd~Zn0Z43bPfhqj8qsEz6npjljx eZvCV3DuD~eLwPP5c3HHQA2aRcbsbV8Uz5OYTa5soJfsGEVjAw ~A__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

- - - Updated - - -

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/28/202107/2_139ff1e26660661f0054be6e462a5867_t.jpg?Expires=1 625883216&Signature=ftokukw~Ngn1PqIZy3WRmwmjYwJcNqZ~ZRsQPTEQ d4rXcawaNCswpQZKLc3HkpKPyHHEbeijKsXVCpTMn9w25TRh6l mJNA4gdkIhLpBkRer3xz86tnwf6axeQrQqzeTg0otuNv6tOFB4 qLvdJJpqufN-e1lsiX1jq~HEsCaCyHVONjffBbnFHcaBSWHnpIWyP~KUtx9NoD FxAD97J8xu29M1md-OG5DAN22smLOe2rWq~uitQALKQEFsMbXtkPYlDzEN-JEg4pp7qFUA~tnx0nyl7bTo1hxk3uBjfFPhjvT9lvlH8JaY-xgji0YlBkDm278pESDNB3XcPzQAX3aTXg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

A new logo?

lionsrking2
July 7th, 2021, 09:30 PM
A new logo?

Yep. New logo, new font, new apparel company, new everything.

FormerPokeCenter
July 7th, 2021, 09:34 PM
Looks nice! Y'all have come a long way.....I can remember what it looked like when we played there in the mid 80s...

katss07
July 7th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Man, I was hoping they’d use the (now outdated) full-body Lion logo at midfield. It was the best logo in the Southland, IMHO. But I guess when you’ve had the same thing since 2003 change can be necessary. The new lion looks great and, more importantly, no more screwing up their abbreviated name. Everyone can tell it’s “SLU”.

Is Southeastern no longer an Adidas school? Personally, I think they’ve done a crap job with SLU’s football uniforms.

Daytripper
July 7th, 2021, 11:10 PM
Yep. New logo, new font, new apparel company, new everything.

Very nice!!

lionsrking2
July 8th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Man, I was hoping they’d use the (now outdated) full-body Lion logo at midfield. It was the best logo in the Southland, IMHO. But I guess when you’ve had the same thing since 2003 change can be necessary. The new lion looks great and, more importantly, no more screwing up their abbreviated name. Everyone can tell it’s “SLU”.

Is Southeastern no longer an Adidas school? Personally, I think they’ve done a crap job with SLU’s football uniforms.

We officially made the switch to Under Armour on July 1st. Looking forward to a new era and a fresh new look.

ASU33
July 8th, 2021, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=lionsrking2;2976671]https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/28/202107/2_b15dd9ec4f1c624e2fc876e491832d89_t.jpg?Expires=1 625881945&Signature=em7n52nq5cNRlzIjPL0w~zKElpB61ikaLxKxU8H9 FRiiTbHJFmTDUGoRa4aW3VE2DDc7Vc78iBYOr~3BRGVPcIekFu ~m420yV34uWRiixTZXnKslfXJuSNRzsxg0JcIwqa83i7TNH3TB sit8pH82OPt5fOw4eHdQZjbmcZWvU2MflA1VIUFXiUXtxpqZ5b JCSQM4dWzTzfczp8~q0RT55rPiyMIucnBChVohoi~Kj9sFhQoh roord5s3Bdktfh7MKQqqRpzdd~Zn0Z43bPfhqj8qsEz6npjljx eZvCV3DuD~eLwPP5c3HHQA2aRcbsbV8Uz5OYTa5soJfsGEVjAw ~A__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

- - - Updated - - -

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/28/202107/2_139ff1e26660661f0054be6e462a5867_t.jpg?Expires=1 625883216&Signature=ftokukw~Ngn1PqIZy3WRmwmjYwJcNqZ~ZRsQPTEQ d4rXcawaNCswpQZKLc3HkpKPyHHEbeijKsXVCpTMn9w25TRh6l mJNA4gdkIhLpBkRer3xz86tnwf6axeQrQqzeTg0otuNv6tOFB4 qLvdJJpqufN-e1lsiX1jq~HEsCaCyHVONjffBbnFHcaBSWHnpIWyP~KUtx9NoD FxAD97J8xu29M1md-OG5DAN22smLOe2rWq~uitQALKQEFsMbXtkPYlDzEN-JEg4pp7qFUA~tnx0nyl7bTo1hxk3uBjfFPhjvT9lvlH8JaY-xgji0YlBkDm278pESDNB3XcPzQAX3aTXg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA[/QUOTE

Nice!

Professor
July 8th, 2021, 09:36 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Man that looks good

lionsrking2
July 14th, 2021, 11:08 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6RI0p3WQAgBcyS?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

- - - Updated - - -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6RI0pyXoAUBe0n?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

lionsrking2
July 14th, 2021, 11:10 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6RI0p1XIAMiy_f?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

lionsrking2
July 14th, 2021, 11:11 AM
This logo will be on the side of our helmet (which will stay white).

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/28/202107/2_1b2b714426edc69a9f580ecf3cef5514.jpg?Expires=162 6537613&Signature=fxKAxR0mwiQFuzfDLVXm95bJ5a1UOg63bBvGoCK6 drJKxBbPSbfXhByyQ8~XAYGTXGmY9Lg4IKkTa-j3aTKWN1G7OoPBqXMGEWOZvf~zh5dYmgPXYASRVFNW~fVywQja Zte7GzAf0KmOCUyXegqm8kr-ZilY0xR1V8Are0fYwOOCpIaupgFo8tiTZEel3HvHc0Mvdv3T8P ccN5hQcjegHsuHq8dlRj~AorBerFuRllS-G0nGEEt1PBlzyzpr23-9Gb5I3~u04vEzy5tb0c6f6PwqhRxWD3wqQfnhDeOTlGAhfDLdh CRpxQz5W5DEaB9KijFV6V6GS4tbfByxHAlDzQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

lionsrking2
July 14th, 2021, 11:38 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6RNVbVWUAAOFxE?format=jpg&name=mediumhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6RNCvwXIAgj19l?format=jpg&name=mediumhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6RNCvvXsAYIM30?format=jpg&name=mediumhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6RNWBIXoAM_WTj?format=jpg&name=medium

McCowboys
July 14th, 2021, 07:49 PM
The SLU Lions are truly coming up in the world! They made KPLC news!!! https://www.kplctv.com/2021/07/14/southeastern-gets-new-look-with-unveiling-new-logos/

No matter how wonderful the new turf and the rebranding look, they are still just flea-bitten pussycats to me. Geaux Pokes!

McCowboys
July 15th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Southland Conference Preseason All-Conference Football Team: https://www.southland.org/news/2021/7/15/southland-announces-2021-preseason-all-conference-football-teams.aspx

Going by this, McNeese definitely needs to leave the SLC --- and drop down to NAIA or whatever the lowest classification is! Sheesh!

Daytripper
July 15th, 2021, 04:11 PM
Southland Conference Preseason All-Conference Football Team: https://www.southland.org/news/2021/7/15/southland-announces-2021-preseason-all-conference-football-teams.aspx

Going by this, McNeese definitely needs to leave the SLC --- and drop down to NAIA or whatever the lowest classification is! Sheesh!

I didn't see a lot of UIW's QB Ward in the spring, but SH made him look terrible.

Kelley at QB, Brown at RB and Dixon at WR will battle for Conference POY.

McNeese will be back eventually...you guys have just been gut-punched over and over. Karma is real and your day will come.

BEAR
July 15th, 2021, 06:22 PM
Now that the real competition has left the SLC, McNeese can get back to winning it year after year....xcoffeexxlolx

McCowboys
July 17th, 2021, 04:29 PM
https://twitter.com/AstroTurfUSA/status/1416048887358529543
Take that, you mangy SLU kittens!

McCowboys
July 18th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. There is discussion of this article on Twitter and on Facebook's GeauxCowboysdotcom page (yes, that's the real name of the group).
Here's the article: https://www.americanpress.com/sports/commentary-should-they-stay-or-should-they-go-change-of-scenery-could-bring-benefits-for/article_84b1ea1a-e7db-11eb-beff-b7b2f7385def.html

Daytripper
July 18th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. There is discussion of this article on Twitter and on Facebook's GeauxCowboysdotcom page (yes, that's the real name of the group).
Here's the article: https://www.americanpress.com/sports/commentary-should-they-stay-or-should-they-go-change-of-scenery-could-bring-benefits-for/article_84b1ea1a-e7db-11eb-beff-b7b2f7385def.html

Good article. It's a decision that will have to be made eventually: stay in the Southland and "hope" it starts functioning properly, or find greener pastures?

Keeper
July 18th, 2021, 08:44 PM

I believe the author of this article would be trying to say "NO BRAINER" decision!

xhandshakex

lionsrking2
July 19th, 2021, 07:40 AM

Hope it comes to fruition. I'm afraid it'll take a splintering of the Louisiana schools for our administration to realize the Southland Conference is dead man walking. Personally, I'd like to see us all petition the A-SUN and move over as a group, but if it takes going separate ways to get us out of the Southland, we'll take it.

By the way, a tentative 2022 SLC conference schedule has been circulated: It's essentially 2021 flipped. Consecutive years of playing conference opponents twice in a season is untenable.

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Hope it comes to fruition. I'm afraid it'll take a splintering of the Louisiana schools for our administration to realize the Southland Conference is dead man walking. Personally, I'd like to see us all petition the A-SUN and move over as a group, but if it takes going separate ways to get us out of the Southland, we'll take it.

By the way, a tentative 2022 SLC conference schedule has been circulated: It's essentially 2021 flipped. Consecutive years of playing conference opponents twice in a season is untenable.

A potential 'splintering' (good verbiage) would really get the wheels spinning on the Louisiana schools front.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I have a hard time believing that the Louisiana System will let one school leave at the detriment of the others since the Southland will really be in a grave position if a McNeese and/or Southeastern walks with no game plan for adding league schools. And I am not 100% sure there are viable options beyond that (will the OVC or ASUN really want to add all the SLC 'leftovers'? Absolutely not).

The problem as I see it for the Southland is that you are not adding current Division I schools and the league cannot stomach more than two schools being in the first year of a Division I transition at a given time (due to RPI/schedule counter reasons). This slows down things and if they do not get a Division II school announced by December 2021, it's really a much worse situation than we may have thought as it clearly shows that the Texas Division II schools have no interest in being in the Southland.

lionsrking2
July 19th, 2021, 11:09 AM
A potential 'splintering' (good verbiage) would really get the wheels spinning on the Louisiana schools front.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I have a hard time believing that the Louisiana System will let one school leave at the detriment of the others since the Southland will really be in a grave position if a McNeese and/or Southeastern walks with no game plan for adding league schools. And I am not 100% sure there are viable options beyond that (will the OVC or ASUN really want to add all the SLC 'leftovers'? Absolutely not).

The problem as I see it for the Southland is that you are not adding current Division I schools and the league cannot stomach more than two schools being in the first year of a Division I transition at a given time (due to RPI/schedule counter reasons). This slows down things and if they do not get a Division II school announced by December 2021, it's really a much worse situation than we may have thought as it clearly shows that the Texas Division II schools have no interest in being in the Southland.

From what I was told, its beyond salvation at this point. Barring a radical shift, there are no viable expansion options, in the foreseeable future, from within the traditional geographical footprint.

Louisiana politics are strongly against a split but McNeese probably has cover to do their own thing -- especially after the media day location debacle. The remaining schools have Texas fatigue. Its time to move.

BEAR
July 19th, 2021, 11:20 AM
I think it will be a race to the front door between SLU and McNeese. Will they both head to the ASUN or other conference? Who knows...but I don't see them staying past this coming athletic year. xlolx

solohawks
July 19th, 2021, 11:46 AM
The 11 Southland and OVC football schools should work together too fill out their schedules.

katss07
July 19th, 2021, 03:27 PM
What becomes of the NSUs IF Southeastern goes ASUN and McNeese goes WAC?

lionsrking2
July 19th, 2021, 07:40 PM
What becomes of the NSUs IF Southeastern goes ASUN and McNeese goes WAC?

Go with us

katss07
July 19th, 2021, 11:41 PM
Go with us
Would either conference (presumably the ASUN in the case of the NSUs) want Northwestern State or Nicholls? Doubtful.

I think the SLC will live a bit longer than some in here realize. But once McNeese up and leaves for greener pastures, it’s over. And they sure have been talking things up. When there’s smoke there’s a fire.

lionsrking2
July 20th, 2021, 06:12 AM
Would either conference (presumably the ASUN in the case of the NSUs) want Northwestern State or Nicholls? Doubtful.

I think the SLC will live a bit longer than some in here realize. But once McNeese up and leaves for greener pastures, it’s over. And they sure have been talking things up. When there’s smoke there’s a fire.
A-SUN would take us all.

WestCoastAggie
July 22nd, 2021, 02:39 PM
https://twitter.com/NSUDemonsFans/status/1418274986712829952

katss07
July 22nd, 2021, 08:03 PM
https://twitter.com/NSUDemonsFans/status/1418274986712829952
Commented this on the SLC media day thread, per Matt Brown, who broke the original WAC news, the Southland has approached Midwestern State and Dallas Baptist. Not to say others haven’t been approached, those are just the ones he knows of. Burnett talked about it as well.

I think the Southland realized no current FCS teams were joining. Luckily, there is a solid pool of D2 teams from the Lone Star Conference that might look to make a move.

lionsrking2
July 22nd, 2021, 08:08 PM
Commented this on the SLC media day thread, per Matt Brown, who broke the original WAC news, the Southland has approached Midwestern State and Dallas Baptist. Not to say others haven’t been approached, those are just the ones he knows of. Burnett talked about it as well.

I think the Southland realized no current FCS teams were joining. Luckily, there is a solid pool of D2 teams from the Lone Star Conference that might look to make a move.

Adding Midwestern State and another church school — especially with no football — ain't gonna go over well in these parts. We have Texas fatigue — especially another 600+ mile trip.

katss07
July 22nd, 2021, 08:42 PM
Adding Midwestern State and another church school — especially with no football — ain't gonna go over well in these parts. We have Texas fatigue — especially another 600+ mile trip.
Yes, I can think of plenty of better additions, although DBU brings in a strong baseball program.

lionsrking2
July 22nd, 2021, 09:15 PM
Yes, I can think of plenty of better additions, although DBU brings in a strong baseball program.

We love baseball, and no doubt DBU would bring great value in that sport, but this is a football league.

McNeese72
July 22nd, 2021, 09:25 PM
Meanwhile, McNeese is slowly not only rebuilding facilities but using the opportunity to make improvements. We have some people with big dreams and visions in the administrative positions now. Give us a year or two more in the Southland to get it done and it will probably be "adios"

lionsrking2
July 22nd, 2021, 09:51 PM
Meanwhile, McNeese is slowly not only rebuilding facilities but using the opportunity to make improvements. We have some people with big dreams and visions in the administrative positions now. Give us a year or two more in the Southland to get it done and it will probably be "adios"

I hope so. Unfortunately, it'll take the Louisiana schools splitting up for our administration to realize we need to go East, not West.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2021, 11:13 AM

Seeing as its the league presidents and administrators that make the expansion decisions, it would seem to me that the Southland schools are driving the expansion train west, are they not? I certainly get that you would prefer the Louisiana schools split to force your institution to make some decisions, but why do we never hear about schools to the north (GAC) or east (GSC) from the Division II ranks?

acbearkat
July 23rd, 2021, 12:21 PM
The Southland is about to go the way of the Southwest Conference and Big 12. Dead.

SDFS
July 23rd, 2021, 09:28 PM
The Southland is about to go the way of the Southwest Conference and Big 12. Dead.

I was listening to podcast and I laughed when he said UT has destroyed three conferences - SWC, Big12, and the New Big12.. now going to SEC thinking they are going to a coronation when they are actually going to be the 7th best team.

Dang based on this list, I would have Texas around 10th.

Coaches Poll: All-Time SEC Final Rankings
1 Alabama 987
2 Georgia 570
3 LSU 569
4 Tennessee 551
5 Florida 517
6 Auburn 506
7 Arkansas 428
8 Mississippi 319
9 Texas A&M 315
10 Missouri 228
11 South Carolina 105
12 Mississippi State 84
13 Kentucky 82
14 Vanderbilt 9

McCowboys
July 28th, 2021, 07:49 AM
Well, this may turn into a sad group.
There are a handful of McNeese fans who post here, but some of them must be on summer vacation.
How many SLU fans, one or two?
One UIW fan, I think, and one Nicholls fan.
No HBU or Northwestern State fans.
Is this correct?
What is left of the SLC is not represented well on AGS! :(

caribbeanhen
July 28th, 2021, 08:40 AM
There are a handful of McNeese fans who post here, but some of them must be on summer vacation.
Is this correct?

I’ll be watching

McCowboys
July 28th, 2021, 09:03 AM
I’ll be watching

Thanks! I am sure a few of the new WAC/ASun members will as well, but you aren't SLC members.

Daytripper
July 28th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Is this correct?

I think some of those don't even have a fan forum for their team. That is sad.

lionsrking2
July 28th, 2021, 11:44 AM
Is this correct?

We have a loyal group on our message board, but boards in general are going the way of the dinosaur. I think most people get their info and post opinions on social media. I think we're the only Southland school left with an active fan message board. The Demon board is still "active" but not really. I don't think UIW or HBU have ever had one and whoever used to run the Nicholls board has left it for bots to take over. U of New Orleans has a decent one but they don't play football. McNeese is facebook only as far as I know and it's closed to outsiders — plus a lot of people I know don't do facebook anymore.

As for AGS? Not sure many of our active board members know what AGS is. I think that's the case for most of our fan bases.

Daytripper
July 28th, 2021, 01:11 PM
We have a loyal group on our message board, but boards in general are going the way of the dinosaur. I think most people get their info and post opinions on social media. I think we're the only Southland school left with an active fan message board. The Demon board is still "active" but not really. I don't think UIW or HBU have ever had one and whoever used to run the Nicholls board has left it for bots to take over. U of New Orleans has a decent one but they don't play football. McNeese is facebook only as far as I know and it's closed to outsiders — plus a lot of people I know don't do facebook anymore.

As for AGS? Not sure many of our active board members know what AGS is. I think that's the case for most of our fan bases.

Somebody mentioned "AGS" on katfans once and somebody thought they were referring to a TAMU forum.

DFW HOYA
July 28th, 2021, 01:34 PM
We have a loyal group on our message board, but boards in general are going the way of the dinosaur. I think most people get their info and post opinions on social media.

TexAgs.com has 30 employees and over 10,000 paying subscribers, some paying as much as $25/month. Provide good content, and people will come.

TheRevSFA
July 28th, 2021, 02:09 PM
I guess I can pick a Southland team to root for this fall. Consider the bidding open.

McCowboys
July 28th, 2021, 02:28 PM

McNeese social media (Twitter, Instagram, etc.) is strong. The Facebook group GeauxCowboys.com is closed, but fans from other schools can request to join. Heck! I even had to request to join. That is because someone who didn't like something reported the first group, and with no explanation that group was closed. So this group is more moderated to keep that from happening. Doc, who posts on AGS, is one of the moderators and so I know he would let you join if you just request it.
Keith Zembower has a daily blog -- Zem's Gems on WordPress, and he does an excellent job.
The point, as you make also, is the presence of the SLC on AGS (especially with SHSU, SFA, and UCA gone) is not good.
I am very envious of the Bearkat fans. They are active here, and have a very active message board.
I visit the SLU message board occasionally, but sometimes have trouble logging in. ?

McCowboys
July 28th, 2021, 02:32 PM
I guess I can pick a Southland team to root for this fall. Consider the bidding open.

xlolx My daddy received his master's from SFA, and so that should count for something.

Still, the point I am trying to make is that there are now very few bonafide SLC fans here whose #1 FCS team is an SLC team.

acbearkat
July 28th, 2021, 02:53 PM

The Orangebloods message board (University of Texas Rivals website) is very active all the time. Katfans is pretty active.

McNeese72
July 28th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Most of the McNeese activity by fans is on Facebook. There is the resurrected GeauxCowboys Dot Com Fan group (yeah, that is the correct spelling). Cbuck started it after the one I started, Geauxcowboys.com, got deleted by Facebook a few years ago for TOS violations. Facebook said we had one chance to correct the violations but they wouldn't tell what they were. We had to guess and whatever the violations were we didn't guess right and Facebook deleted the group. We still don't know what they were. Still pissed about that years later. And there is also a Pokefans group on Facebook. It was created because some guys got pissed at me for how I moderated the first group. The old Geauxcowboys messageboard bit the dust when all the action moved to Facebook.

Doc

SFA 93
July 28th, 2021, 03:38 PM
The Sawmill is going strong on the message boards.

Puddin Tane
July 28th, 2021, 05:57 PM

i’ll be rooting for mcneese i reckon. Maybe The Word. I like their offense. For some reason I just dont like slu and Nicholls. Dunno why. More so nicholls. Cant stand em. Nw? Never really even think about them. I rooted for mcneese when we were without football. Maybe cuz were hurricane buds. Plus they have Daryls po boys, bourbon in the 7-11’s and craps tables!

McCowboys
July 28th, 2021, 06:02 PM
i’ll be rooting for mcneese i reckon. Maybe The Word. I like their offense. For some reason I just dont like slu and Nicholls. Dunno why. More so nicholls. Cant stand em. Nw? Never really even think about them. I rooted for mcneese when we were without football. Maybe cuz were hurricane buds. Plus they have Daryls po boys, bourbon in the 7-11’s and craps tables!

xflamemadxxasswhipxxbeerchugx

Daytripper
July 28th, 2021, 06:29 PM

I will be rooting for McNeese and SLU. Mainly because of fond roadie memories of going to Lake Charles, and as for SLU, they usually just play really good football.

katss07
July 28th, 2021, 06:38 PM
I’ll be rooting for Northwestern. They stink and will probably never be good. I still hate Bryan Bennett and I think Nicholls has become overrated after a few *decent* seasons so I hope to see the Demons win. Plus Brad Laird.

TheRevSFA
July 28th, 2021, 06:45 PM

that’s reason enough for me

TheRevSFA
July 28th, 2021, 06:46 PM
It’s decided. Geaux Pokes.

acbearkat
July 28th, 2021, 06:54 PM
It’s decided. Geaux Pokes.

How about the Demons since they can’t take Chief Caddo?

lionsrking2
July 29th, 2021, 12:26 AM
Most of the McNeese activity by fans is on Facebook. There is the resurrected GeauxCowboys Dot Com Fan group (yeah, that is the correct spelling). Cbuck started it after the one I started, Geauxcowboys.com, got deleted by Facebook a few years ago for TOS violations. Facebook said we had one chance to correct the violations but they wouldn't tell what they were. We had to guess and whatever the violations were we didn't guess right and Facebook deleted the group. We still don't know what they were. Still pissed about that years later. And there is also a Pokefans group on Facebook. It was created because some guys got pissed at me for how I moderated the first group. The old Geauxcowboys messageboard bit the dust when all the action moved to Facebook.

Doc

Used to keep up with the happenings in McNeese World on the old message board but no longer since the move to Facebook. Not as fun as it used be — almost like nobody cares.

McCowboys
July 29th, 2021, 09:55 AM
I’ll be rooting for Northwestern. They stink and will probably never be good. I still hate Bryan Bennett and I think Nicholls has become overrated after a few *decent* seasons so I hope to see the Demons win. Plus Brad Laird.

I think Coach Laird has the Demons on the right track. Didn't they always give the Bearkats a tough game in Natchitoches? I know that the games against McNeese always go right down to the wire. I grew up an hour from Natchitoches, and so to me, this is THE team that I always want McNeese to beat (Stomp! Rout! Wipe into the court! Annihilate!) no matter what the sport, even if it were tiddlywinks. Moreso because several members of my family and my two best friends are Demons.

As for Nicholls, they do more with less $ than most any school in the country. They were my second choice after McNeese of schools to attend. Maybe it's a Louisiana thing, but they always give McNeese fits no matter what the sport.

When it comes to SLU, though I have much respect for lionsking2 - who is very knowledable, I do not like SLU. A couple of years ago, some McNeese football players were asked who they most wanted to beat or who they most disliked, and SLU was mentioned most often. I guess it helps that the home team (I think I am correct on this) has won the last several football games and with some memorable endings. I can see the two games against the Lions being real slobber knockers this year. Hopefully the Cowboys can christen the new Lion's field with a McNeese win!

McCowboys
July 29th, 2021, 09:57 AM
that’s reason enough for me

Rev, it just breaks my heart that the Lumberjacks and Cowboys won't be facing off each year now. I know the Jacks are definitely on the way up!

McNeese72
July 29th, 2021, 11:35 AM
Used to keep up with the happenings in McNeese World on the old message board but no longer since the move to Facebook. Not as fun as it used be — almost like nobody cares.

There is still plenty of McNeese discussion (bitching ;) ) being done in the Facebook groups. That is where the McNeese fan action is now.

Doc

McCowboys
July 29th, 2021, 02:20 PM
If anyone has an away game at a SWAC school this season, this is news for you: https://twitter.com/ddobison90/status/1419850295681617922

Panther88
July 29th, 2021, 04:03 PM
If anyone has an away game at a SWAC school this season, this is news for you: https://twitter.com/ddobison90/status/1419850295681617922

It may be a "spring-like" season in terms of #s, I think.

Best to error on the side of safety of everyone. CV19 isn't going away anytime soon.

lionsrking2
July 29th, 2021, 05:41 PM
I guess vaccines and/or masks don't work, huh? xthumbsdownx Pathetic!

They work just fine. It’s those who don’t do either who are the problem. Get vaccinated!

TheRevSFA
July 29th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Rev, it just breaks my heart that the Lumberjacks and Cowboys won't be facing off each year now. I know the Jacks are definitely on the way up!

maybe y’all will join us in the WAC.

lionsrking2
July 29th, 2021, 06:35 PM
Hoping they do -- keeping fingers crossed.

Panther88
July 29th, 2021, 07:50 PM
I guess vaccines and/or masks don't work, huh? xthumbsdownx Pathetic!

Do they?

Why don't you test it and find out for yourself? Go maskless around someone CV-19D and return here and report your fact finding in a day or so.

xlolx

McCowboys
July 30th, 2021, 06:22 AM

I am sure McNeese is looking at all possibilities, but as so often in the past, they may wait so long as to miss all of the boats. Due to the hurricanes, finances may be tight right now or perhaps something would have already been done. Maybe we are waiting for UT and OU to leave the Big XII so we can join that conference. Who knows?

Panther88
July 30th, 2021, 08:19 AM
In the spring, six SLC schools played football. Some fans wore masks; some didn't. I attended the McNeese-Sam Houston football game in Huntsville. At that time I was not vaccinated (though I had previously been tested and was negative), and I did not wear a mask. It was about 50/50 in the stands as to who did.
Did you watch any of the FCS playoffs? The NCAA sponsored a championship game in Frisco, Texas. There are replays. Watch them. Fans with and fans without masks. I haven't heard of any super spreader news from these football games among the teams, coaches, or fans.

But the SWAC wants to live in fear, and so I suggest xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlmaox the SWAC schools close their doors for a year or two to all faculty, staff, and students, and send everyone home. However, they should be warned on their way home that if they drive a car, it is possible they could be involved in a wreck, possibly a fatal one. Cars are dangerous. If they walk, they could be mugged or struck by lightning. Maybe they will shut themselves up in their homes, but stay out of the bathroom because so many slips and falls occur there. Maybe the bathrooms should be locked. Grown people are not capable of making their own decisions so we must protect them for their own good. Better safe than sorry.

Damn! Life is dangerous!

Your rhetoric is falling on deaf ears. You are NOT vested in the SWAC. You are NOT a paying supporter/constituent of the SWAC. You do NOT work in or near a SWAC institution so your empty words of advise are meaningless, obviously.

We will do what is in OUR, non-inclusive of you, best interests which also includes NOT participating in your meaningless "nat'l fcs tourney" sham. Good luck to you and others as you traverse about current CV19D+. CV19E is ramping up as I type so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your "dangerous" ride.

With the next arrival of a hurricane dead-center of location LC, advise locals not to relo to texas or northward. LC residents should simply stay outside and enjoy the small rain/wind and incoming ocean, no common sense required. xreadx

BEAR
July 30th, 2021, 10:34 AM
We will do what is in OUR, non-inclusive of you, best interests which also includes NOT participating in your meaningless "nat'l fcs tourney" sham.

Pretty much says it all....xcoffeex

lionsrking2
July 30th, 2021, 10:47 AM
In the spring, six SLC schools played football. Some fans wore masks; some didn't. I attended the McNeese-Sam Houston football game in Huntsville. At that time I was not vaccinated (though I had previously been tested and was negative), and I did not wear a mask. It was about 50/50 in the stands as to who did.
Did you watch any of the FCS playoffs? The NCAA sponsored a championship game in Frisco, Texas. There are replays. Watch them. Fans with and fans without masks. I haven't heard of any super spreader news from these football games among the teams, coaches, or fans.

But the SWAC wants to live in fear, and so I suggest the SWAC schools close their doors for a year or two to all faculty, staff, and students, and send everyone home. However, they should be warned on their way home that if they drive a car, it is possible they could be involved in a wreck, possibly a fatal one. Cars are dangerous. If they walk, they could be mugged or struck by lightning. Maybe they will shut themselves up in their homes, but stay out of the bathroom because so many slips and falls occur there. Maybe the bathrooms should be locked. Grown people are not capable of making their own decisions so we must protect them for their own good. Better safe than sorry.

Damn! Life is dangerous!

Cars aren't contagious, deadly viruses that spread around the world if not contained.

McCowboys
July 30th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Cars aren't contagious, deadly viruses that spread around the world if not contained.

Thanks, Lion.
Please direct any further comments to the AGS Political Board which has threads on both Covid and vaccinations.

lionsrking2
July 30th, 2021, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Lion.
Please direct any further comments to the AGS Political Board which has threads on both Covid and vaccinations.

There’s nothing political in pointing out bad analogies.

McCowboys
July 30th, 2021, 11:26 AM
There’s nothing political in pointing out bad analogies.

Go join the ASun already!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/what-im-hearing-and-reading-about-conference-realignment-from-the-aac-to-the-asun/

lionsrking2
July 30th, 2021, 11:34 AM

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/what-im-hearing-and-reading-about-conference-realignment-from-the-aac-to-the-asun/

Trust me, I would if we could.

lionsrking2
July 30th, 2021, 11:46 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me, I would if we could.

McCowboys
August 2nd, 2021, 01:22 PM
https://www.americanpress.com/sports/cowboys-five-impact-transfers/article_dc29e7c4-f074-11eb-acab-d72d7e8b1895.html

McNeese's Five Impact Transfers

McCowboys
August 2nd, 2021, 01:24 PM
https://mcneesesports.com/news/2021/8/2/football-chambers-named-preseason-all-american-by-stats-perform.aspx

LAKE CHARLES – McNeese 2020 Consensus All-American defensive end Isaiah Chambers (https://mcneesesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8597) has been named a 2021 Stats Perform FCS Preseason All-American the organization announced on Monday in conjunction with the release of its All-America teams.

lionsrking2
August 2nd, 2021, 04:35 PM
https://mcneesesports.com/news/2021/8/2/football-chambers-named-preseason-all-american-by-stats-perform.aspx

LAKE CHARLES – McNeese 2020 Consensus All-American defensive end Isaiah Chambers (https://mcneesesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8597) has been named a 2021 Stats Perform FCS Preseason All-American the organization announced on Monday in conjunction with the release of its All-America teams.

Pretty good representation for the Southland. SLU gets two on the First Team in Cole Kelley (QB) and Ferlando Jordan (CB), and C.J. Turner (WR) on the Third Team. Nicholls gets one on the First Team in P.J. Burkhalter (OL), and Dai'Jean Dixon (WR) on the Second Team. UIW gets Kevin Brown (AP) on the Second Team and Cameron Ward (QB) on the Third Team.

Puddin Tane
August 2nd, 2021, 06:09 PM
Pretty good representation for the Southland. SLU gets two on the First Team in Cole Kelley (QB) and Ferlando Jordan (CB), and C.J. Turner (WR) on the Third Team. Nicholls gets one on the First Team in P.J. Burkhalter (OL), and Dai'Jean Dixon (WR) on the Second Team. UIW gets Kevin Brown (AP) on the Second Team and Cameron Ward (QB) on the Third Team.

interesting. Dave Campbells Football magazine has UIW picked first.

they have to find something that resembles a defense.

caribbeanhen
August 2nd, 2021, 06:14 PM

IW QB transfer yet? Kid is super talented

lionsrking2
August 2nd, 2021, 06:27 PM
https://www.americanpress.com/sports/cowboys-five-impact-transfers/article_dc29e7c4-f074-11eb-acab-d72d7e8b1895.html

McNeese's Five Impact Transfers

With all the names in the portal, I think everybody is loading up, trying to address areas of need for this fall. SLU has added the following guys:

Chinedu Ogbonna, LB, 6-2, 225, U-Mass — Mult-year starter for the Minutemen, led them with 9 TFL's in 2019.
Jessie Britt, RB/Slot, 5-10, 205, U-Mass — Will play RB for us. Caught 52 passes as a slot receiver at U-Mass.
Brennon Dingle, WR, 5-10, 180, UTSA/U-Mass — Two-year starter at U-Mass before transferring to UTSA in 2020 - combined for 90 career catches and 9 TDs.
Maurice Massey, WR, 6-4, 185, U Missouri — 4-years of eligibility remaining. Played in 4 games as a true freshman at Missouri before redshirting in 2019.
Nolan Givan, TE, 6-3, 260, San Diego State/Ball State — Multiple year starter at Ball State and San Diego State. Caught 51 career passes and 6 TDs at Ball State.
Spencer Owens, TE, 6-5, 250, Western Kentucky — Will have to sit out this fall.
Sci Martin, DE, 6-4, 250, U Missouri/LSU — Started career at LSU. Transferred to EMCC in 2018, had 10.5 TFLs and 6.5 sacks for JC National Championship team. Only played in 4 games at Mizzou due to injuries.
Gerald Nathan, LB, 6-1, 210, U Missouri — Three years of eligibility. Played in 9 games at Mizzou.
Brandon Barbee, CB, 5-11, 180, Morehead State — Two years of eligibility. Three year starter at Morehead State. 2nd Team All-American (AFCA) in Spring 2021, led the nation with 5 INTs.

We'll also get defensive linemen, Nelson Jenkins, 6-4, 300, LSU, and John Graves, 6-1, 280, New Mexico State, back healthy. Both were here in the spring — Jenkins broke his ankle before game 1 and Graves went down with a lower leg injury on the first play of the season vs Sam Houston. Both are ready to go.

McCowboys
August 2nd, 2021, 06:36 PM
With all the names in the portal, I think everybody is loading up, trying to address areas of need for this fall. SLU has added the following guys:

Chinedu Ogbonna, LB, 6-2, 225, U-Mass — Mult-year starter for the Minutemen, led them with 9 TFL's in 2019.
Jessie Britt, RB/Slot, 5-10, 205, U-Mass — Will play RB for us. Caught 52 passes as a slot receiver at U-Mass.
Brennon Dingle, WR, 5-10, 180, UTSA/U-Mass — Two-year starter at U-Mass before transferring to UTSA in 2020 - combined for 90 career catches and 9 TDs.
Maurice Massey, WR, 6-4, 185, U Missouri — 4-years of eligibility remaining. Played in 4 games as a true freshman at Missouri before redshirting in 2019.
Nolan Givan, TE, 6-3, 260, San Diego State/Ball State — Multiple year starter at Ball State and San Diego State. Caught 51 career passes and 6 TDs at Ball State.
Spencer Owens, TE, 6-5, 250, Western Kentucky — Will have to sit out this fall.
Sci Martin, DE, 6-4, 250, U Missouri/LSU — Started career at LSU. Transferred to EMCC in 2018, had 10.5 TFLs and 6.5 sacks for JC National Championship team. Only played in 4 games at Mizzou due to injuries.
Gerald Nathan, LB, 6-1, 210, U Missouri — Three years of eligibility. Played in 9 games at Mizzou.
Brandon Barbee, CB, 5-11, 180, Morehead State — Two years of eligibility. Three year starter at Morehead State. 2nd Team All-American (AFCA) in Spring 2021, led the nation with 5 INTs.

We'll also get defensive linemen, Nelson Jenkins, 6-4, 300, LSU, and John Graves, 6-1, 280, New Mexico State, back healthy. Both were here in the spring — Jenkins broke his ankle before game 1 and Graves went down with a lower leg injury on the first play of the season vs Sam Houston. Both are ready to go.

The transfer portal has truly been a blessing for many schools. The article I posted was just about the five transfers who MAY have the biggest impact, but there are quite a few more transfers than these who are now Cowboys.
The SLC should be filled with games that are real slobber-knockers this year and especially with many teams meeting up twice.
When does everyone's teams report? I think McNeese reports Wednesday (Aug. 4).

Daytripper
August 2nd, 2021, 06:41 PM

I just don't see how anybody in their right mind doesn't pick SLU. They have the best QB in the country and a lot of talent around him.

lionsrking2
August 2nd, 2021, 06:44 PM
The transfer portal has truly been a blessing for many schools. The article I posted was just about the five transfers who MAY have the biggest impact, but there are quite a few more transfers than these who are now Cowboys.
The SLC should be filled with games that are real slobber-knockers this year and especially with many teams meeting up twice.
When does everyone's teams report? I think McNeese reports Wednesday (Aug. 4).

Assuming we'll report Thursday, considering Friday morning is the first practice. Remains to be seen which of our transfers will make the most impact. Obviously the defensive additions will have the most opportunity, given all the injuries and struggles on that side of the ball in the spring. If Sci Martin is fully healthy, he could wreak havoc in this league. Coaches are really high on Ogbonna and Barbee. We'll see.

McCowboys
August 2nd, 2021, 06:54 PM
The best source of McNeese football news is Keith Zembower. In his blog today (Monday, Aug. 2), he discusses the Cowboys secondary, who was lost, who is back, who transferred in, and possible position changes: https://zemsgems.wordpress.com/

lionsrking2
August 3rd, 2021, 01:43 AM
I just don't see how anybody in their right mind doesn't pick SLU. They have the best QB in the country and a lot of talent around him.

I like our chances but it's going to be a war playing home-and-homes with Nicholls, McNeese and NW State, plus going on the road to UIW. Nicholls is a couple of additions away on defense from being very, very good and McNeese will be improved. NW State wasn't terrible last year and will be better. We've laid eggs against UIW the last three years and have to go back to San Antonio for a second year in a row. I have no clue what HBU will trot out there.

Potentially, this could our best team ever, but we'll have to see how the defense comes together. We changed DCs in the off-season, get several guys back from injury who didn't play in the spring and have added several pieces, but until we see things play out on the field, the defense is an unknown. We're loaded, and then some, on offense, and should be very good on special teams. We'll see how it plays out.

McCowboys
August 3rd, 2021, 05:37 AM
https://www.americanpress.com/sports/mcneese/reigning-southland-conference-defensive-player-of-the-year-leads-by-example/article_765487bc-f3d3-11eb-90c9-57334145b9b4.html

Article on McNeese's All-American and reigning SLC defensive player of the year Isaiah Chambers

lionsrking2
August 3rd, 2021, 10:57 AM
https://www.americanpress.com/sports/mcneese/reigning-southland-conference-defensive-player-of-the-year-leads-by-example/article_765487bc-f3d3-11eb-90c9-57334145b9b4.html

Article on McNeese's All-American and reigning SLC defensive player of the year Isaiah Chambers
Great player. Proud to have talent like that representing our league. May only have six competing schools but the Southland is loaded with quality players this fall.

Katfan
August 3rd, 2021, 09:38 PM

I love this guy He is the only d line I rated higher than a Sam d line man

McCowboys
August 9th, 2021, 05:52 PM
McNeese report: https://mcneesesports.com/news/2021/8/8/football-cowboys-wrap-split-squad-practices-on-sunday-in-shells.aspx

McCowboys
August 9th, 2021, 05:54 PM
I love this guy He is the only d line I rated higher than a Sam d line man

His story is inspirational in overcoming loss, loss of loved ones and loss of material possessions.
The SLC and former SLC members have lots to be proud of in talent and character of so many players.

McCowboys
August 9th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Great player. Proud to have talent like that representing our league. May only have six competing schools but the Southland is loaded with quality players this fall.

Lots of talent, old and new, throughout the league. It is going to be a war!

McCowboys
August 9th, 2021, 06:25 PM
For what it's worth - Why McNeese could win the Southland Conference this year: https://www.spreaker.com/user/ombn/sports-report-saturday-august-7th-2021?fbclid=IwAR2UBqBwnJEYJeY0CQNWN8emCL3Ibke0e6ij rdKPGJv28IUroGUTkGJAzFg

Katfan
August 9th, 2021, 09:32 PM
His story is inspirational in overcoming loss, loss of loved ones and loss of material possessions.
The SLC and former SLC members have lots to be proud of in talent and character of so many players.
Amen. Best to Him an to McNeese

lionsrking2
August 9th, 2021, 09:33 PM
For what it's worth - Why McNeese could win the Southland Conference this year: https://www.spreaker.com/user/ombn/sports-report-saturday-august-7th-2021?fbclid=IwAR2UBqBwnJEYJeY0CQNWN8emCL3Ibke0e6ij rdKPGJv28IUroGUTkGJAzFg

It's August and everyone has their case to make. Thanks for sharing.

McCowboys
August 10th, 2021, 07:04 AM
It's August and everyone has their case to make. Thanks for sharing.

After listening to this, I discovered that it is word for word from articles posted in the Lake Charles American Press by contributor Jim Gazzolo. No credit was given to Gazzolo. Plagiarism anyone?

You are correct, Lion! At this time of season, everyone is fresh, fired up, and no one has lost a game. What an exciting time of year! Geaux Pokes!

P.S. One thing that has often been said about Coach Wilson is that he can recruit. Speaking only for myself, I am very excited about the transfers he has brought in for immediate help (though some have two or three years of eligibility remaining), but I am even more excited about the high school players he has signed and those who have now committed. I am also impressed with his staff, who despite everything, are still all here. Now with summer conditioning and Wilson's FIRST fall camp and everyone familiar with the system -- much to look forward to!

McCowboys
August 10th, 2021, 07:27 AM
After listening to this, I discovered that it is word for word from articles posted in the Lake Charles American Press by contributor Jim Gazzolo. No credit was given to Gazzolo. Plagiarism anyone?

You are correct, Lion! At this time of season, everyone is fresh, fired up, and no one has lost a game. What an exciting time of year! Geaux Pokes!

P.S. One thing that has often been said about Coach Wilson is that he can recruit. Speaking only for myself, I am very excited about the transfers he has brought in for immediate help (though some have two or three years of eligibility remaining), but I am even more excited about the high school players he has signed and those who have now committed. I am also impressed with his staff, who despite everything, are still all here. Now with summer conditioning and Wilson's FIRST fall camp and everyone familiar with the system -- much to look forward to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRTu3iEtBw -- Frank Wilson - McNeese Football Coach (Patrick Netherton Show)

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2021, 09:58 AM
The 'lead' from a recent Lake Charles American Press story... this narrative of being on the way out of the Southland Conference that is pushed in the LCAP cannot be a good look for those eyeballing joining the Southland Conference. McNeese is the 'flagship' program of the league right now and has the most 'name recognition' in this region of the schools within the league.

McNeese State will open its preseason football camp Friday with high hopes of making a return to the top of the Southland Conference before possible saying goodbye to the league for good.

McCowboys
August 10th, 2021, 10:02 AM
The 'lead' from a recent Lake Charles American Press story... this narrative of being on the way out of the Southland Conference that is pushed in the LCAP cannot be a good look for those eyeballing joining the Southland Conference. McNeese is the 'flagship' program of the league right now and has the most 'name recognition' in this region of the schools within the league.

Not a good look for whom? Should it be kept a secret? Regardless, it is still probably two or more years down the road. Isn't it ironic that this comment is coming from a fan of a school who abandoned the SLC?

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Not a good look for whom? Should it be kept a secret? Regardless, it is still probably two or more years down the road. Isn't it ironic that this comment is coming from a fan of a school who abandoned the SLC?

Joining a league is a long-term decision (G-d willing for those involved), right? Not having McNeese State would seem to be a blow to what remains for the Southland Conference and their hopes for presenting themselves as a stable league particularly as a public school in a town that is bigger than Hammond or Thibodaux. Got to remember the football playing institutions in the Southland that play in towns larger than 20, 25k are all private institutions now with McNeese being the lone exception.

And yes, I am a fan of a school who left the Southland Conference but I am also a fan of a school that is amongst several that gave the league multiple opportunities to fix, adjust what was not working for our institution. The Southland struck out and had more than three good pitches at the plate to fix it.

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2021, 10:54 AM

By now, most Southland schools have updated their rosters with transfer additions (who did not play in the spring) though there could be some more between now and the start of the season. There are hundreds of guys in the portal, still looking for homes, and wouldn't shock me if a few land somewhere in the Southland Conference. And some schools may be waiting until the last minute to post transfers on their rosters so as not to draw attention. But going over what's been updated and posted, here's a breakdown of new additions by program (UIW typically only lists the high school and hometown and not previous school, but they do have a few transfers on board).

HOUSTON BAPTIST
Brady Buell – Punter, Central Michigan

UIW
Brandon Bowen – Defensive End, TCU
Cesar Moreno – Offensive Lineman, Coastal Carolina
Trevor Begue – McNeese

McNEESE
Ceejay Powell – Wide Receiver, Louisiana Tech
Jarrius Wallace – Defensive Back, Arizona
Corione Harris – Defensive Back, Kansas
Stephon Huderson – Running Back, Tulane
Lathan Adams – Defensive Back, Colorado State
Ge'Mon Eaford – Linebacker, Oregon
Graycen Kennedy – Kicker, Portland State
Romello Tarver – Offensive Lineman, Central Michigan
Demond Stewart – Defensive Lineman, UNC-Charlotte

NICHOLLS STATE
DeWayne Betts – Defensive Back, South Alabama
Lex Boucvalt – Wide Receiver, TCU
Jequaries Martin – Defensive Lineman, Austin Peay

NORTHWESTERN STATE
Mark Salazar – Quarterback, San Diego State
Kevin Perkins – Running Back, Southern Miss
Jay Griffin – Wide Receiver, New Mexico
Stevie Ballard – Offensive Lineman, Louisiana Tech
Javonis Isaac – Tight End, Arkansas State
Stanley King – Wide Receiver, Rutgers

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
Brennon Dingle – Wide Receiver, UTSA/UMASS
Maurice Massey – Wide Receiver, Missouri
Jacob Switzer – Quarterback, Arkansas
Chinedu Ogbonna – Linebacker, UMASS
Jordan Griffin – Running Back, UL-Lafayette
Brandon Barbee – Defensive Back, Morehead State
Jessie Britt – Running Back, UMASS
Calvin Watson – Defensive Back, Grambling
Gerald Nathan – Linebacker, Missouri
Sci Martin – Defensive End, Missouri/LSU
Spencer Owens – Tight End, Western Kentucky
Nolan Givan – Tight End, San Diego State/Ball State
Nelson Jenkins – Defensive Lineman, LSU

McCowboys
August 10th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Joining a league is a long-term decision (G-d willing for those involved), right? Not having McNeese State would seem to be a blow to what remains for the Southland Conference and their hopes for presenting themselves as a stable league particularly as a public school in a town that is bigger than Hammond or Thibodaux. Got to remember the football playing institutions in the Southland that play in towns larger than 20, 25k are all private institutions now with McNeese being the lone exception.

And yes, I am a fan of a school who left the Southland Conference but I am also a fan of a school that is amongst several that gave the league multiple opportunities to fix, adjust what was not working for our institution. The Southland struck out and had more than three good pitches at the plate to fix it.

Five schools leaving the conference en masse should be more of a red flag to any school who is considering the SLC than anything written in the local newspaper. I never realized how popular McNeese was until recently with some in the WAC, ASun, and Ohio Valley showing interest. Many McNeese fans have been disgusted with the SLC for a long while and for the disrespect they feel has come our way. Perhaps if McNeese was not dealing with the financial aspects of the devastation brought on by two hurricanes, we would be former SLC-members at this time, too, but I do not know that. I do know that I have heard people that I thought would never say this that it is time to leave. We will see.

I will miss the competitions with the Texas schools and UCA, but for now, we can only concentrate on what should be a tough SLC conference football schedule -- and pray that the McNeese president and AD make correct choices for the future.

McCowboys
August 10th, 2021, 11:11 AM
By now, most Southland schools have updated their rosters with transfer additions (who did not play in the spring) though there could be some more between now and the start of the season. There are hundreds of guys in the portal, still looking for homes, and wouldn't shock me if a few land somewhere in the Southland Conference. And some schools may be waiting until the last minute to post transfers on their rosters so as not to draw attention. But going over what's been updated and posted, here's a breakdown of new additions by program (UIW typically only lists the high school and hometown and not previous school, but they do have a few transfers on board).

HOUSTON BAPTIST

UIW
Trevor Begue – McNeese

McNEESE

NICHOLLS STATE

NORTHWESTERN STATE

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

It looks like SLU wins the prize! That's a lot of transfers considering there was not a head coaching change.

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2021, 03:24 PM
It looks like SLU wins the prize! That's a lot of transfers considering there was not a head coaching change.

The prize won't be awarded until the dust settles and a school — or schools — emerge as conference champs, or playoff contenders. Jury is still out on HBU due to heavy transfer losses but I expect the other five to be much improved this fall. Everybody has players back and everybody has added something to the mix.

For us, even though 90-95% of production returns, we needed to address several immediate areas of need on defense, and I think we were able to do that through the portal and getting healthy. In my opinion, we're already at championship level offensively but were able to upgrade at tight end and shore up depth at wide receiver and running back. We'll see if it's enough, but having played Villanova, Montana, Sam Houston and Southern Illinois over the last two years, our eyes were opened wide as to the type of talent needed on both sides of the ball to make a deep playoff run. We were close, or already there, at some positions, but way off in others. Hopefully we're closer — we shall see.

Daytripper
August 10th, 2021, 04:27 PM

If you are careful in the transfers you bring in it can work out. We won a natty because of transfers. We don't get out of the first round without Jefferson (Maine), Ezzard (Howard), Wallace (TTU), Mascorro (UTEP), and Kay (Laney CC).

Daytripper
August 10th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Five schools leaving the conference en masse should be more of a red flag to any school who is considering the SLC than anything written in the local newspaper. I never realized how popular McNeese was until recently with some in the WAC, ASun, and Ohio Valley showing interest. Many McNeese fans have been disgusted with the SLC for a long while and for the disrespect they feel has come our way. Perhaps if McNeese was not dealing with the financial aspects of the devastation brought on by two hurricanes, we would be former SLC-members at this time, too, but I do not know that. I do know that I have heard people that I thought would never say this that it is time to leave. We will see.

I will miss the competitions with the Texas schools and UCA, but for now, we can only concentrate on what should be a tough SLC conference football schedule -- and pray that the McNeese president and AD make correct choices for the future.

Great post. Focus on what is in front of you today, but be sure and be flexible in the long term.

McCowboys
August 11th, 2021, 01:06 PM
https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1425482929535438848

caribbeanhen
August 11th, 2021, 01:20 PM
The prize won't be awarded until the dust settles and a school — or schools — emerge as conference champs, or playoff contenders. Jury is still out on HBU due to heavy transfer losses but I expect the other five to be much improved this fall. Everybody has players back and everybody has added something to the mix.

For us, even though 90-95% of production returns, we needed to address several immediate areas of need on defense, and I think we were able to do that through the portal and getting healthy. In my opinion, we're already at championship level offensively but were able to upgrade at tight end and shore up depth at wide receiver and running back. We'll see if it's enough, but having played Villanova, Montana, Sam Houston and Southern Illinois over the last two years, our eyes were opened wide as to the type of talent needed on both sides of the ball to make a deep playoff run. We were close, or already there, at some positions, but way off in others. Hopefully we're closer — we shall see.

That Nova game was a classic, fun game to watch

I did some FCS on gohens yesterday and definitely spoke about SLA ..... it sounds a lot like your post but then I remembered I got most of it from you

http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27513

Laker
August 11th, 2021, 09:18 PM
The Southland is expanding. They have added UM-ES as an associate member for women's golf.

Southland Adds Maryland Eastern Shore as Women’s Golf Affiliate Member - Southland Conference (https://www.southland.org/news/2021/8/11/southland-adds-maryland-eastern-shore-as-womens-golf-affiliate-member.aspx)

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2021, 06:39 AM
The Southland is expanding. They have added UM-ES as an associate member for women's golf.

Southland Adds Maryland Eastern Shore as Women’s Golf Affiliate Member - Southland Conference (https://www.southland.org/news/2021/8/11/southland-adds-maryland-eastern-shore-as-womens-golf-affiliate-member.aspx)

One less sport in which they are below the minimum threshold for NCAA AQ eligibility; can rip up at least one waiver request

McCowboys
August 12th, 2021, 06:39 AM

xbangx Yes, the SLC also added affiliate tennis teams and maybe men's soccer teams from far away parts of the country.....

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2021, 10:16 AM
xbangx Yes, the SLC also added affiliate tennis teams and maybe men's soccer teams from far away parts of the country.....

The Southland as of right now is only short in men's tennis as it relates to meeting the NCAA threshold for AQ status. Numerous sports are at the number six.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2021, 11:18 AM
If you are careful in the transfers you bring in it can work out. We won a natty because of transfers. We don't get out of the first round without Jefferson (Maine), Ezzard (Howard), Wallace (TTU), Mascorro (UTEP), and Kay (Laney CC).

Yep, KC knows it’s about talent, coaching will only get you so far. Many people say KC’s ego is legendary but at same time he is humble enough to understand what really wins

McCowboys
August 12th, 2021, 01:53 PM
https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/08/fcs-college-football-2021-southland-conference-preview/
FCS College Football 2021: Southland Conference Preview

lionsrking2
August 12th, 2021, 05:32 PM

HOUSTON BAPTIST

UIW
Trevor Begue – McNeese

McNEESE

NICHOLLS STATE

NORTHWESTERN STATE

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
Grant Tisdale – Quarterback, Ole Miss

We added another one. Not sure where he'll fit in our QB hierarchy but he practiced today and has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

https://olemisssports.com/sports/football/roster/grant-tisdale/2698
https://247sports.com/player/grant-tisdale-90288/

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Also, Marcus Cooper, a former RB of ours, has transferred to UIW. Good player, just battled some injuries and never really got to be THE guy for us. He'll do very well at UIW.

UIW
Trevor Begue – Wide Receiver, McNeese
Marcus Cooper – Running Back, Southeastern Louisiana

Daytripper
August 12th, 2021, 06:39 PM
We added another one. Not sure where he'll fit in our QB hierarchy but he practiced today and has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

https://olemisssports.com/sports/football/roster/grant-tisdale/2698
https://247sports.com/player/grant-tisdale-90288/

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Also, Marcus Cooper, a former RB of ours, has transferred to UIW. Good player, just battled some injuries and never really got to be THE guy for us. He'll do very well at UIW.

UIW
Trevor Begue – Wide Receiver, McNeese
Marcus Cooper – Running Back, Southeastern Louisiana

Looks like Mr. Tisdale aged about 10 years between high school and college..xeyebrowx

lionsrking2
August 12th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Looks like Mr. Tisdale aged about 10 years between high school and college..xeyebrowx
It's a full beard no doubt.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2021, 07:05 PM
LK2, honest question

Why do you have so many roster spots open for all of these transfers?

lionsrking2
August 12th, 2021, 07:14 PM
LK2, honest question

Why do you have so many roster spots open for all of these transfers?

We had always budgeted for 10 transfers. One on the list was already here in the spring and four others are walking on.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2021, 10:25 PM
We had always budgeted for 10 transfers. One on the list was already here in the spring and four others are walking on.

budgeted for? Do they get feed better than the other players :D

I’m weak on roster management

lionsrking2
August 12th, 2021, 11:30 PM
budgeted for? Do they get feed better than the other players :D

I’m weak on roster management

Actually they get fed very well — that's one thing we get right around here. :)

As for roster management, I believe we originally had 20 or so spots available for the 2021 signing class, and lost two kids to the portal, plus a couple more decided to graduate and move on with their lives. We signed 10 high school kids between December and February periods, a couple of more after, and held 10 or so spots open for transfers. I think we may still room for one or two more, not really sure.

caribbeanhen
August 13th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Actually they get fed very well — that's one thing we get right around here. :)

As for roster management, I believe we originally had 20 or so spots available for the 2021 signing class, and lost two kids to the portal, plus a couple more decided to graduate and move on with their lives. We signed 10 high school kids between December and February periods, a couple of more after, and held 10 or so spots open for transfers. I think we may still room for one or two more, not really sure.

Ahhh, well now that I’ve been spoon feed I actually get it now

thanks LK2

Daytripper
August 13th, 2021, 08:01 AM
UIW's Morris gets contract extension. Good move by the university. He's a heck of a coach.

https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/1425497021415297034

McCowboys
August 14th, 2021, 06:20 AM
McNeese and Lamar schedule a four-game home and home series to begin no later than 2025: https://fbschedules.com/mcneese-host-southern-2024-schedules-four-future-games-vs-lamar/

McCowboys
August 14th, 2021, 06:21 AM
UIW's Morris gets contract extension. Good move by the university. He's a heck of a coach.

https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/1425497021415297034

He is a good coach, but I doubt any McNeese fans would honor him with a sportsmanship award.

McNeese72
August 14th, 2021, 11:22 PM
I got a feeling things may get very whacky for McNeese in 2022.

Doc

caribbeanhen
August 15th, 2021, 06:54 AM
I got a feeling things may get very whacky for McNeese in 2022.

Doc

sleeper! Nobody picking McNeese for playoffs but watch out

Daytripper
August 15th, 2021, 10:21 AM
McNeese and Lamar schedule a four-game home and home series to begin no later than 2025: https://fbschedules.com/mcneese-host-southern-2024-schedules-four-future-games-vs-lamar/

That is great to hear. It's such a natural geographic (now) OOC rivalry.

lionsrking2
August 16th, 2021, 12:43 AM
https://youtu.be/wvidV8-T3w8

Panther88
August 16th, 2021, 09:52 AM
https://youtu.be/wvidV8-T3w8

Man...... Cole Kelley is a man among little boys. Cannot wait to see his dominating play this fall.

caribbeanhen
August 16th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Man...... Cole Kelley is a man among little boys. Cannot wait to see his dominating play this fall.

reminds me of Flacco 2007

Daytripper
August 16th, 2021, 05:37 PM

He's got a really quick release.

lionsrking2
August 19th, 2021, 08:26 PM
SLU Position Breakdowns, OL/LB/WR

Offensive Line
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/17/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-1-offensive-line.aspx

Linebackers
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/18/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-2-linebackers.aspx

Wide Receivers
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/19/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-3-wide-receivers.aspx

lionsrking2
August 20th, 2021, 12:03 PM
SLU Position Breakdowns, OL/LB/WR

Offensive Line
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/17/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-1-offensive-line.aspx

Linebackers
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/18/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-2-linebackers.aspx

Wide Receivers
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/19/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-3-wide-receivers.aspx

Cornerbacks
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/20/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-4-cornerbacks.aspx

McCowboys
August 21st, 2021, 10:33 AM
Saturday, August 21st: Final scrimmage at high noon -- starting positions up for grabs; depth could be an issue at several positions -- https://zemsgems.wordpress.com/

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2021, 07:46 AM
The WAC is not looking at the Southland unless any of the member institutions make significant changes via Matt Brown… wonder how much Central Arkansas feels the same about their former brethren from Southland from their vantage point in the ASUN…

There are not many schools that fit that criteria at the moment. One source at a Texas institution told me that he believed his school would be reluctant to support the inclusion of any other Southland schools, like perhaps Incarnate Word, or McNeese State, without "significant changes to their business plans." After all, he told me, "we left the Southland because we sought to better align with schools that fit our long-term goals. Why would we turn around and add those same schools, unless they made big changes?"

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/wac-expansion-realignmet-college-sports/

lionsrking2
August 23rd, 2021, 08:12 AM
The WAC is not looking at the Southland unless any of the member institutions make significant changes via Matt Brown… wonder how much Central Arkansas feels the same about their former brethren from Southland from their vantage point in the ASUN…

There are not many schools that fit that criteria at the moment. One source at a Texas institution told me that he believed his school would be reluctant to support the inclusion of any other Southland schools, like perhaps Incarnate Word, or McNeese State, without "significant changes to their business plans." After all, he told me, "we left the Southland because we sought to better align with schools that fit our long-term goals. Why would we turn around and add those same schools, unless they made big changes?"

The WAC will take McNeese in a heartbeat.

McNeese72
August 23rd, 2021, 10:18 AM

McNeese's business plans are rapidly changing with the current athletic administration in place. And that starts with the president of the University. I've been around since the 70's and I have never seen the athletic administration as aggressive to make changes as the current one we have now. Don't think that when the WAC schools meet in Sept or Oct (don't know when it is exactly) that McNeese's name doesn't come up.

This current administration's long range goal is to be in the FBS.

Doc

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2021, 11:41 AM
McNeese's business plans are rapidly changing with the current athletic administration in place. And that starts with the president of the University. I've been around since the 70's and I have never seen the athletic administration as aggressive to make changes as the current one we have now. Don't think that when the WAC schools meet in Sept or Oct (don't know when it is exactly) that McNeese's name doesn't come up.

This current administration's long range goal is to be in the FBS.

Doc

I believe it - if the recent storms did not throw a wrench into things, we would have probably heard about McNeese joining the WAC by now or at least more smoke to the situation. I am very curious to see where things up!

SDFS
August 23rd, 2021, 05:03 PM

Whats the story with Tarleton St. and it driving any conversation in the WAC. I would think that Sam, SFA or UT-RG would be driving the Texas bus.

katss07
August 23rd, 2021, 05:54 PM
Whats the story with Tarleton St. and it driving any conversation in the WAC. I would think that Sam, SFA or UT-RG would be driving the Texas bus.
There was a previous, untrue report that TSU was attempting a “coup” of sorts, getting the Texas schools to vote en masse so that it would essentially become their conference.

SDFS
August 23rd, 2021, 10:00 PM
There was a previous, untrue report that TSU was attempting a “coup” of sorts, getting the Texas schools to vote en masse so that it would essentially become their conference.

Well, it sounds like they helped get Jeff Hurd dismissed.

katss07
August 23rd, 2021, 11:01 PM
Well, it sounds like they helped get Jeff Hurd dismissed.
Not true… well, not exactly. I think Jeff knew his work was done.

McNeese72
August 24th, 2021, 10:52 AM
LSU will require all Tiger Stadium guests 12 years of age and older to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to entry.

Well, at least I have a vaccination card due to my age, my diabetes, and my profession. So, I won't have any problems going to the McNeese-LSU game.

BEAR
August 24th, 2021, 11:03 AM
LSU will require all Tiger Stadium guests 12 years of age and older to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to entry.

Well, at least I have a vaccination card due to my age, my diabetes, and my profession. So, I won't have any problems going to the McNeese-LSU game.

xrolleyesx Good grief... xcrazyx

lionsrking2
August 24th, 2021, 09:58 PM
Cornerbacks
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/20/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-4-cornerbacks.aspx

https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/24/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-6-quarterbacks.aspx

McCowboys
August 25th, 2021, 06:27 AM
McNeese Offensive Lineman Nick Holiday: https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/08/nick-holiday/

ASU33
August 25th, 2021, 10:52 AM
xrolleyesx Good grief... xcrazyx

Have you seen the numbers in Louisiana? At this point you can't just "leave it up to people".

BEAR
August 25th, 2021, 03:26 PM
Have you seen the numbers in Louisiana? At this point you can't just "leave it up to people".

If you have to do that much then why let big crowds in to start with? That shows this may not be the time yet to host big crowds. Besides, doesn’t the amount of drank they drink basically kill the virus (and most brain cells) ? 😂

lionsrking2
August 25th, 2021, 08:04 PM
https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/24/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-6-quarterbacks.aspx

Defensive Line Preview

https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/25/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-7-defensive-line.aspx

lionsrking2
August 26th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Defensive Line Preview

https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/25/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-7-defensive-line.aspx

Tight Ends Preview

https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/26/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-8-tight-ends.aspx

Daytripper
August 27th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Stay safe my Cajun friends in Louisiana. Ida is getting ready to explode once it hits the Gulf of Mexico bath water.

https://s.w-x.co/staticmaps/MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL3_storm_info_1280x720.jpg?crop=16: 9&width=980&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=60

McNeese72
August 28th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Stay safe my Cajun friends in Louisiana. Ida is getting ready to explode once it hits the Gulf of Mexico bath water.

https://s.w-x.co/staticmaps/MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL3_storm_info_1280x720.jpg?crop=16: 9&width=980&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=60

Looks like Thibodaux (Nicholls area) is going to catch hell. I wish them better luck than we had with Laura and Delta.

Doc

acbearkat
August 28th, 2021, 09:43 PM
Looks like Thibodaux (Nicholls area) is going to catch hell. I wish them better luck than we had with Laura and Delta.

Doc

And also Southeastern Louisiana.

McCowboys
August 29th, 2021, 08:36 AM

Doc

Prayers to our Southland Brothers who are in the path of this monster storm.

McCowboys
August 30th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Tight Ends Preview

https://lionsports.net/news/2021/8/26/2021-slu-football-preseason-position-report-no-8-tight-ends.aspx

Mr. Lion, I would imagine that you (if you stayed and did not evacuate) are without power, but if you have cell access, would you please let us know you and yours are OK and give us an update on what you know and have experienced. Praying for all in the path of this storm!

ST_Lawson
August 30th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Pulled up one of the weather channels yesterday and was immediately greeted with a guy about ready to get blown over in Thibodaux (Nicholls State). Spent the day thinking of all you guys down in the path of it. I hope you all made it through unscathed and hopefully you can get power back up soon.

https://i.imgur.com/Gf9Txjf.png

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Im thinking about my Southland Friends as well, no power is not fun

McCowboys
September 2nd, 2021, 11:55 AM
First of all, glad to hear that Mr. Lion had evacuated to Alabama and has been reported as safe.

Second of all, good luck to SLC members HBU (at New Mexico) and UIW (at YSU) tonight.
Visit the Southland Conference week #1 pick 'em thread to add your fearless prognostications for this week before these two games kick off.

McCowboys
September 7th, 2021, 08:19 AM
According to Sagarin:

25 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 47.41 47.91 ( 25) TEAMS= 6 47.78 ( 25)
College Football 2021 through games of September 6 Monday - Week 1
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | PREDICTOR | GOLDEN_MEAN | RECENT
HOME ADVANTAGE=[ 2.37] [ 2.37] [ 2.37] [ 2.37]
131 SE Louisiana AA = 57.10 1 0 43.88( 178) 0 0 | 0 0 | 56.39 133 | 51.49 131 | 50.97 139 SOUTHLAND
157 Nicholls State AA = 51.40 0 1 74.54( 48) 0 0 | 0 0 | 51.49 153 | 44.55 166 | 46.28 159 SOUTHLAND
174 Incarnate Word AA = 47.80 0 1 55.36( 137) 0 0 | 0 0 | 48.93 167 | 39.74 186 | 42.87 177 SOUTHLAND
182 McNeese State AA = 45.58 0 1 0.00( 0) 0 0 | 0 0 | 45.58 180 | 45.58 162 | 45.58 164 SOUTHLAND
194 Houston Baptist AA = 43.33 0 1 59.89( 124) 0 0 | 0 0 | 44.06 188 | 35.80 205 | 38.12 199 SOUTHLAND
202 Northwestern State AA = 42.25 0 1 62.97( 110) 0 0 | 0 0 | 41.46 208 | 35.94 204 | 37.79 202 SOUTHLAND

McCowboys
September 7th, 2021, 08:22 AM
College Football Ranking Composite: https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

McCowboys
September 7th, 2021, 03:31 PM
https://www.southland.org/news/2021/9/7/southeastern-duo-hbus-buell-garner-first-southland-football-weekly-honors.aspx

bonarae
September 8th, 2021, 10:42 PM
Hmm. Demons vs. SLU moved from September 25 to November 13.

https://nsudemons.com/news/2021/9/8/demon-football-nsus-sept-25-game-at-southeastern-moved-to-nov-13.aspx

lionsrking2
September 9th, 2021, 12:32 AM
Hmm. Demons vs. SLU moved from September 25 to November 13.

https://nsudemons.com/news/2021/9/8/demon-football-nsus-sept-25-game-at-southeastern-moved-to-nov-13.aspx

Good move. We won't be ready to host a home game on the 25th and will just flip that date with our previously scheduled open date.