PDA

View Full Version : The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

McCowboys
September 9th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Good move. We won't be ready to host a home game on the 25th and will just flip that date with our previously scheduled open date.

Without my having to go check on schedules, do SLU and Northwestern St. only play each other once this season? Or do they have a home-and-home?

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2021, 06:45 AM
Without my having to go check on schedules, do SLU and Northwestern St. only play each other once this season? Or do they have a home-and-home?

Massey Ratings - Southeastern Louisiana Lions (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/7314)

twice according to Massey sked

lionsrking2
September 9th, 2021, 07:36 AM
Massey Ratings - Southeastern Louisiana Lions (https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/7314)

twice according to Massey sked
Twice is correct

Puddin Tane
September 9th, 2021, 06:12 PM
I know SLU had some stadium damages. How bad is Nicholls?

lionsrking2
September 24th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Texas A&M-Commerce, come on down ... also, Cory Hogue tweeting he's hearing two present FCS programs and another D-II could also be added:

https://twitter.com/CoryHogueSports/status/1441543431734665217?s=20

https://lionathletics.com/images/2021/9/24/092821_Announcement_1024.jpg

lionsrking2
September 25th, 2021, 12:06 AM
Rumor at this point but hearing Texas Southern and Prairie View from the SWAC and D-II Central Oklahoma are strong candidates in addition to A&M-Commerce.

U Central Oklahoma was rumored as a candidate years ago. Located in suburban Oklahoma City (Edmond), 16,000 student population, 10,000 seat stadium and money in the area. It would be a geographic oddball but not much further than Abilene from Hammond, Louisiana.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8477/8221108797_a1115172d1_b.jpg

I know Texas Southern and Prairie View have been rumored for a while but I still have a hard time believing they would actually leave the SWAC. We shall see.

katss07
September 25th, 2021, 11:50 AM
Man, the person I feel really bad for in this scenario is Carthel. I get he wanted to jump to D1 coaching, but he would’ve been there regardless. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Maybe they’ll take him back when he’s searching for a job in three years.

TheRevSFA
September 25th, 2021, 12:00 PM
Man, the person I feel really bad for in this scenario is Carthel. I get he wanted to jump to D1 coaching, but he would’ve been there regardless. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Maybe they’ll take him back when he’s searching for a job in three years.

So, something you may not know is the WAC at any time can say “we are a FBS conference” and jump. It’s in their bylaws and the only other conferences who could do that are the big west and the Missouri valley (not the Missouri valley football conference) so given what SFA and Sam has as goals, he probably has positioned himself in the right spot. Plus he gets paid more

TheRevSFA
September 25th, 2021, 12:00 PM
Rumor at this point but hearing Texas Southern and Prairie View from the SWAC and D-II Central Oklahoma are strong candidates in addition to A&M-Commerce.

U Central Oklahoma was rumored as a candidate years ago. Located in suburban Oklahoma City (Edmond), 16,000 student population, 10,000 seat stadium and money in the area. It would be a geographic oddball but not much further than Abilene from Hammond, Louisiana.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8477/8221108797_a1115172d1_b.jpg

I know Texas Southern and Prairie View have been rumored for a while but I still have a hard time believing they would actually leave the SWAC. We shall see.

they aren’t leaving the SWAC. If I was betting on anyone it’s SEMO and one of the OVC Tennessee schools

katss07
September 25th, 2021, 12:04 PM
So, something you may not know is the WAC at any time can say “we are a FBS conference” and jump. It’s in their bylaws and the only other conferences who could do that are the big west and the Missouri valley (not the Missouri valley football conference) so given what SFA and Sam has as goals, he probably has positioned himself in the right spot. Plus he gets paid more
I’ve heard about that, and I hope to god it doesn’t happen. That would be embarrassing. Hopefully whatever clause or bylaw can be overruled by current FBS leagues or something.

TheRevSFA
September 25th, 2021, 12:07 PM
I’ve heard about that, and I hope to god it doesn’t happen. That would be embarrassing.

I’m betting you see it by the end of the 2020s

katss07
September 25th, 2021, 02:16 PM
I’m betting you see it by the end of the 2020s
Wouldn’t surprise me based on all of the talk I’ve seen on Twitter and in Brown’s newsletters. UTRGV’s ambitions to play FBS are a big factor in this, I’d imagine?

I totally get wanting to go FBS, especially with the “grandfather clause” at the disposal of WAC leadership. But I really do think it’d be a shame and, quite frankly, an embarrassment if they rushed to move up. I don’t particularly care to see Sam go FBS, period. But ESPECIALLY not if we’re still going to be playing in a stadium with a track and averaging 7,000 fans. Basically every WAC stadium and fanbase are average to below average by FCS standards. Can that be improved upon by 2027? No chance.

Not to divert the convo too much from the topic at hand.

TheRevSFA
September 25th, 2021, 08:51 PM
Wouldn’t surprise me based on all of the talk I’ve seen on Twitter and in Brown’s newsletters. UTRGV’s ambitions to play FBS are a big factor in this, I’d imagine?

I totally get wanting to go FBS, especially with the “grandfather clause” at the disposal of WAC leadership. But I really do think it’d be a shame and, quite frankly, an embarrassment if they rushed to move up. I don’t particularly care to see Sam go FBS, period. But ESPECIALLY not if we’re still going to be playing in a stadium with a track and averaging 7,000 fans. Basically every WAC stadium and fanbase are average to below average by FCS standards. Can that be improved upon by 2027? No chance.

Not to divert the convo too much from the topic at hand.

It’s one of the rare moments in which we agree

acbearkat
September 25th, 2021, 08:52 PM
It’s one of the rare moments in which we agree

You ready for the butt whipping next week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRevSFA
September 25th, 2021, 08:54 PM
You ready for the butt whipping next week?

We get that you won the spring natty, but you still haven’t beat anyone with a winning record this season. I mean, odds are in your favor but let’s see what happens on the field.

McNeese72
September 26th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Awaiting the news from the WAC meeting next week (I think that is when it is).

In other news, we officially suck this season.

Doc

katss07
September 26th, 2021, 04:05 PM

Doc
“Collegiate Consulting” on Twitter is reporting the meeting is on Tuesday. Not sure of the credibility of said person, but they’re followed by Matt Brown and helped with the Texas4’s move so there’s that.

Outsider1
September 26th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Doc

I think any suckiness from you guys would be short lived. You all have too much history. It will be interesting to see what happens this week.

TheRevSFA
September 26th, 2021, 07:35 PM
“Collegiate Consulting” on Twitter is reporting the meeting is on Tuesday. Not sure of the credibility of said person, but they’re followed by Matt Brown and helped with the Texas4’s move so there’s that.

They are pretty credible. I imagine this is just a feeler meeting

McCowboys
October 5th, 2021, 08:05 AM
What’s next for the Southland Conference?1 (https://www.midmajormadness.com/2021/10/4/22709163/southland-conference-realignment-basketball-texas-am-commerce#comments)

The Southland has added Texas A&M Commerce, but with so many departures, that may not be enough.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2021/10/4/22709163/southland-conference-realignment-basketball-texas-am-commerce

McCowboys
October 8th, 2021, 07:53 AM
This is an article in yesterday's Lake Charles American Press by Jim Gazzolo (who may or may not be the McNeese beat writer) about the apathetic SLC leadership: https://www.americanpress.com/2021/10/07/jim-gazzolo-column-slc-would-do-well-to-listen-to-its-schools/

lionsrking2
October 8th, 2021, 10:51 AM
This is an article in yesterday's Lake Charles American Press by Jim Gazzolo (who may or may not be the McNeese beat writer) about the apathetic SLC leadership: https://www.americanpress.com/2021/10/07/jim-gazzolo-column-slc-would-do-well-to-listen-to-its-schools/

There is no Southland leadership. Anywhere. Total embarrassment.

HootyHoo
October 8th, 2021, 11:02 AM
I would love for the ASUN to invite SE LA and Mcneese State. Bring Nicholls St too, why not?

lionsrking2
October 8th, 2021, 11:12 AM
I would love for the ASUN to invite SE LA and Mcneese State. Bring Nicholls St too, why not?

Just about our entire athletic department would love to join the ASUN, but the ASUN doesn't want Nicholls or Northwestern State, and the UL system president is a NW State guy who wants UL system SLC schools to stick together. Our president doesn't give a flip about athletics and won't do anything to buck the system. Until we get a new president who understands the value of athletics, and has a vision for success, we're doomed athletically for the foreseeable future.

HootyHoo
October 8th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Just about our entire athletic department would love to join the ASUN, but the ASUN doesn't want Nicholls or Northwestern State, and the UL system president is a NW State guy who wants UL system SLC schools to stick together. Our president doesn't give a flip about athletics and won't do anything to buck the system. Until we get a new president who understands the value of athletics, and has a vision for success, we're doomed athletically for the foreseeable future.

well that stinks. Fun Fact about Hooty: I lived in Natchitoches, LA during middle school, St. Mary's represent! I've been to my fair share of Purple Demon games. I still remember the frosted lemon cakes...sorry I haven't had lunch yet.

Daytripper
October 8th, 2021, 12:10 PM

That is unfortunate because this game of realignment musical chairs won't be played forever. Moves have to be made at the drop of a hat to insure the best landing spot for each institution. Those that don't will be left in the dust.

SpreadTheWord
October 8th, 2021, 12:25 PM
That is unfortunate because this game of realignment musical chairs won't be played forever. Moves have to be made at the drop of a hat to insure the best landing spot for each institution. Those that don't will be left in the dust.

No matter what happens I'm pretty certain the ones getting left in the dust will be Houston Baptist and UIW (unless we somehow find a s*** load of money to rebuild our facilities).

Daytripper
October 8th, 2021, 03:14 PM
No matter what happens I'm pretty certain the ones getting left in the dust will be Houston Baptist and UIW (unless we somehow find a s*** load of money to rebuild our facilities).

Surely there are some deep-pocketed, college-sports-loving, Catholics in San Antonio who want to see you guys succeed?

- - - Updated - - -

Surely there are some deep-pocketed, college-sports-loving, Catholics in San Antonio who want to see you guys succeed?

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2021, 04:56 PM

I didn’t know Pat Harker was in Louisiana... my condolences

McCowboys
December 7th, 2021, 08:29 AM
The season has ended for Southland Conference football. Congrats to both Incarnate Word and Southeastern Louisiana for moving on to the second round.

With the conclusion of this season, UIW football finishes its last season in the SLC and will play in the WAC next season and searches for a new coach as their head coach Eric Morris moves out West to be OC at Washington State.

The Southland will welcome Texas A&M - Commerce in July 2022. A search for other members continues.

The SLC and Ohio Valley Conferences have a football scheduling alliance for the 2022 and 2023 seasons, but according to SLC acting commissioner Chris Grant (who will be the head man after the completion of basketball season) says there are no plans to merge the SLC with the OVC or any other conferences.

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2021, 09:59 AM
The latest about the Southland...

The Southland was turned down by UTRGV & Texas-Arlington according to Matt Brown... apparently Angelo State & Midwestern State can be added to this count...

The Southland is open to looking beyond the TX/LA borders per the new Commish.

The new Commish indicates there are two former SLC members who are open to listening to a pitch from the league (not clear whom)...

Central Oklahoma's name comes up a lot pending who you ask as a potential Division II addition to the Southland...

lionsrking2
December 7th, 2021, 10:14 AM
The latest about the Southland...

The Southland was turned down by UTRGV & Texas-Arlington according to Matt Brown... apparently Angelo State & Midwestern State can be added to this count...

The Southland is open to looking beyond the TX/LA borders per the new Commish.

The new Commish indicates there are two former SLC members who are open to listening to a pitch from the league (not clear whom)...

Central Oklahoma's name comes up a lot pending who you ask as a potential Division II addition to the Southland...

Look for a least a couple of OVC schools to be added to the football mix (EIU and Murray State), though not sure if there could be more. Assuming the two former SLC schools are Lamar and SFA, based on what I've been hearing, though the McNeese giveaway may foul that up — nothing left to give as enticement.

McCowboys
December 7th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Someone posted a few days ago on Zem's blog that they had a good source who says Lamar is not interested at this time, but wants to schedule McNeese (maybe other SLC schools?) in various sports. But who can believe what anyone says? I do know McNeese and Lamar are to start a series of home and home football games starting in 2023 or 2024.

I cannot imagine SFA is happy with what has happened to them, unless the only thing that matters to them is basketball, but I doubt they would consider rejoining the "lowly" Southland. But their only true rival Sam Houston is gone.

I doubt SLU would be happy about an Oklahoma school due to distance. ? I am not a fan of SLU, obviously, but I would hate for them to leave. The Lions should be a power in all sports in the current SLC make-up.

Can't say I am for or against any OVC schools joining the SLC. I don't know much about them. Basically, I just want the SLC to be a viable FCS conference whether it includes McNeese in the future or not. I don't really want McNeese to go FBS (I am probably in the minority, though.) Who knows what will happen when the NCAA meets to rewrite the football constitution as well.

Are TSU and Prairie View still out of the mix?

lionsrking2
December 7th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Someone posted a few days ago on Zem's blog that they had a good source who says Lamar is not interested at this time, but wants to schedule McNeese (maybe other SLC schools?) in various sports. But who can believe what anyone says? I do know McNeese and Lamar are to start a series of home and home football games starting in 2023 or 2024.

I cannot imagine SFA is happy with what has happened to them, unless the only thing that matters to them is basketball, but I doubt they would consider rejoining the "lowly" Southland. But their only true rival Sam Houston is gone.

I doubt SLU would be happy about an Oklahoma school due to distance. ? I am not a fan of SLU, obviously, but I would hate for them to leave. The Lions should be a power in all sports in the current SLC make-up.

Can't say I am for or against any OVC schools joining the SLC. I don't know much about them. Basically, I just want the SLC to be a viable FCS conference whether it includes McNeese in the future or not. I don't really want McNeese to go FBS (I am probably in the minority, though.) Who knows what will happen when the NCAA meets to rewrite the football constitution as well.

Are TSU and Prairie View still out of the mix?

For us, the political realities are that we have a president who lacks boldness, vision, and the will to do anything athletically other than hold the hands of Nicholls and Northwestern State — he's not signing on to anything without them. My understanding is there will be a merger of some sort with the OVC — or at least some schools from the OVC — for football only. If Lamar and SFA can be convinced to come back, I have no problem staying with a lineup that is primarily Louisiana, eastern Texas and a couple of outliers from the OVC. But our fan base would have a big problem if we're spread out over to west Texas, into Oklahoma. It's bad enough going to San Antonio, but at least they're leaving.

Texas Southern and Prairie View are not leaving the SWAC for the Southland.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2021, 11:10 AM

Nor should they. What's in it for them? Less travel, maybe?

Panther88
December 7th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Nor should they. What's in it for them? Less travel, maybe?

Now I can chime in. Travel/athletic budget savings, regional appeal, perhaps. xreadx

SHSU, Lamar, and SFA's SLC departure kinda' sorta' threw an un-calculated screw in the current engine but still... who ultimately knows? Perhaps PV's last football HC, a TRUE SWAC guy, got pissed off w/ his high PV salary + amenities and anticipated PV direction prescribed by the aTm-Sys? Who knows?

xreadx :)

Panther88
December 7th, 2021, 11:19 AM
For us, the political realities are that we have a president who lacks boldness, vision, and the will to do anything athletically other than hold the hands of Nicholls and Northwestern State — he's not signing on to anything without them. My understanding is there will be a merger of some sort with the OVC — or at least some schools from the OVC — for football only. If Lamar and SFA can be convinced to come back, I have no problem staying with a lineup that is primarily Louisiana, eastern Texas and a couple of outliers from the OVC. But our fan base would have a big problem if we're spread out over to west Texas, into Oklahoma. It's bad enough going to San Antonio, but at least they're leaving.

I wouldn't be so sure of that if I were you.

McNeese72
December 7th, 2021, 12:31 PM
Well F....k!!!

https://mcneesesports.com/news/2021/12/7/football-frank-wilson-resigns-as-cowboys-football-head-coach.aspx

We will continue to suck!!!

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Somebody get Viator on the line!

lionsrking2
December 7th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Well F....k!!!

https://mcneesesports.com/news/2021/12/7/football-frank-wilson-resigns-as-cowboys-football-head-coach.aspx

Doc

Was that really a surprise with UTSA money running out and LSU opening?

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Was that really a surprise with UTSA money running out and LSU opening?

Kinda....his younger brother was McNeese's Defensive Coordinator and his son was a defensive back at McNeese....the move could have ripple effecs for them....he seemed genuinely committed to McNeese....but I guess appearances can be deceiving...

lionsrking2
December 7th, 2021, 12:59 PM
Kinda....his younger brother was McNeese's Defensive Coordinator and his son was a defensive back at McNeese....the move could have ripple effecs for them....he seemed genuinely committed to McNeese....but I guess appearances can be deceiving...
I suppose if he said and did all the right things, but seems like an expiring buyout + nearby P5, with loaded pockets and openings, would raise a flag. I'm sure there will be tons of good candidates lining up for the job.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2021, 01:11 PM
I'm hearing some fairly exceptional names at this point....should be interesting!

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Well F....k!!!

Doc

Kelly wants him for his recruiting ability. Outsider need assistant coaches with deep roots.

McCowboys
December 7th, 2021, 03:22 PM
I suppose if he said and did all the right things, but seems like an expiring buyout + nearby P5, with loaded pockets and openings, would raise a flag. I'm sure there will be tons of good candidates lining up for the job.

According to AD Schroyer, before Wilson was hired, there were some quality applicants. Hopefully some of them are still around and interested. And hopefully interested in the long haul and not just a jumping off spot to somewhere else.
Bad news is this is right before the fall signing date. What will happen to all those that committed to McNeese? Will they de-commit? Follow Wilson to LSU?

acbearkat
December 7th, 2021, 03:41 PM
According to AD Schroyer, before Wilson was hired, there were some quality applicants. Hopefully some of them are still around and interested. And hopefully interested in the long haul and not just a jumping off spot to somewhere else.
Bad news is this is right before the fall signing date. What will happen to all those that committed to McNeese? Will they de-commit? Follow Wilson to LSU?

Most of the players committed to McNeese aren’t good enough to play for LSU, no offense to those players.

McNeese72
December 7th, 2021, 05:00 PM
SLU fans would be surprised at one of the names that I heard made a phone call.

McCowboys
December 7th, 2021, 05:43 PM
I would imagine that as with the hiring of Wilson, Schroyer will be looking for someone who can lead McNeese into FBS eventually.

lionsrking2
December 7th, 2021, 05:50 PM
We would not be surprised.

McNeese72
December 8th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Rumors are an ex-Cowboy with a very recognizable name will be coming home. Just rumors though.

Doc

Libertine
December 8th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Kelly wants him for his recruiting ability.

Kelly also needs someone -- besides himself, of course -- with a convincing Southern accent.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2021, 10:15 AM

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1468298790172037131

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2021, 10:18 AM
An OVC/Southland scheduling alliance was announced today. My question is, does that mean their will be only 1 autobid for the alliance and not 1 for each conference? The Southland will be 5 full members and TAMU-Commerce, which is ineligible.

McNeese72
December 9th, 2021, 10:28 AM
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1468298790172037131

Nope! He is enjoying his time on the beach in Destin along with his girlfriend and his millions of dollars LSU is paying him for not working.

Big rumor now is a well known ex-player. That is if everything works out.

Sports administration and president here has big plans. I have never seen a McNeese administration so aggresive and I have been around since the 1970's.

Doc

lionsrking2
December 9th, 2021, 10:38 AM
An OVC/Southland scheduling alliance was announced today. My question is, does that mean their will be only 1 autobid for the alliance and not 1 for each conference? The Southland will be 5 full members and TAMU-Commerce, which is ineligible.
I assume each league will maintain a separate autobid. I saw our tentative schedule a few days ago and it had two OVC teams on it and one SLC opponent twice — this release seems to indicate only one OVC on our schedule. I've heard rumors that Lamar and SFA are coming back which makes sense if we're only playing one OVC now. Would also alleviate the need to double up an SLC opponent. I guess we'll find out soon.

McCowboys
December 9th, 2021, 10:56 AM
I assume each league will maintain a separate autobid. I saw our tentative schedule a few days ago and it had two OVC teams on it and one SLC opponent twice — this release seems to indicate only one OVC on our schedule. I've heard rumors that Lamar and SFA are coming back which makes sense if we're only playing one OVC now. Would also alleviate the need to double up an SLC opponent. I guess we'll find out soon.

Mr. Lion, you are usually not wrong with your information, and so I will be praying this is all true.

I think losing Sam Houston put a lot of kinks in several school's plans. I know some people think McNeese wasn't going to go to the WAC, but I think if Sam Houston would have stayed, McNeese would have gone. So Sam Houston and New Mexico State will exit after this year, and who is left except Tarleton, ACU, and a bunch of other far-flung schools that fans of SFA and Lamar probably don't care two cents for.

I have worked with some SFA people, and most of them seem nice enough, but too many of their fans on message boards have said very ugly, derogatory things about the Louisiana schools. I'm not sure SFA has good opinions about anyone else but themselves, to tell the truth. If they do come back, I am sure Northwestern State and Chief Caddo will be happy.

McCowboys
December 9th, 2021, 11:01 AM
https://eiupanthers.com/news/2021/12/9/football-to-play-two-games-in-ovc-southland-alliance.aspxThe entire list of OVC/Southland matchups for the 2022 season are:

September 10 – Texas A&M-Commerce at Tennessee Tech
September 17 – Nicholls at Southeast Missouri
October 1 – Murray State at Southeastern Louisiana
October 8 – Northwestern State at Eastern Illinois
October 22 – Southeast Missouri at Northwestern State
October 29 – UT Martin at Houston Baptist
November 5 – Eastern Illinois at McNeese State
November 19 – Tennessee State at Texas A&M-Commerce

lionsrking2
December 9th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Mr. Lion, you are usually not wrong with your information, and so I will be praying this is all true.

I think losing Sam Houston put a lot of kinks in several school's plans. I know some people think McNeese wasn't going to go to the WAC, but I think if Sam Houston would have stayed, McNeese would have gone. So Sam Houston and New Mexico State will exit after this year, and who is left except Tarleton, ACU, and a bunch of other far-flung schools that fans of SFA and Lamar probably don't care two cents for.

I have worked with some SFA people, and most of them seem nice enough, but too many of their fans on message boards have said very ugly, derogatory things about the Louisiana schools. I'm not sure SFA has good opinions about anyone else but themselves, to tell the truth. If they do come back, I am sure Northwestern State and Chief Caddo will be happy.

SFA fans are insufferable, we all know that, but they belong in the Southland, at least for football. I don't know if they're coming back or not, but I've heard it from several different sources that tend to know what's going on. I've also heard it would be conditions based, but you guys got the whole store — so it wasn't a done deal. Who knows? Obviously we're adding somebody to next year's schedule if current SLC members are only playing one OVC opponent a piece. And it would have to be a pair of FCS counters, which leaves any two of the following: SFA, Lamar, UCA, PVU and/or Texas Southern. But I'm guessing, so ...

Daytripper
December 9th, 2021, 12:13 PM

Don't feel bad. It's not just Louisiana schools they deride and look down their noses at. It's everybody, ESPECIALLY Sam Houston. As happy as they should be about Sammy representing the the FCS Texas faction and the (then) WAC conference mates representing, they couldn't bring themselves to give any props. When SFA basketball makes their inevitable Big Dance run, the Sam Houston folks I know support them and root for them. Honestly, the SFA fans here on AGS and maybe a couple over at the sawmill are tolerable. You would think that they would welcome rival fans on their forum, but if you go over there to talk real football, they are basically ignored. If you go over there to stir up some friendly smack, they get defensive and ban you. So, I don't feel too sorry for them.

TheRevSFA
December 10th, 2021, 09:50 PM
SFA fans are insufferable, we all know that, but they belong in the Southland, at least for football. I don't know if they're coming back or not, but I've heard it from several different sources that tend to know what's going on. I've also heard it would be conditions based, but you guys got the whole store — so it wasn't a done deal. Who knows? Obviously we're adding somebody to next year's schedule if current SLC members are only playing one OVC opponent a piece. And it would have to be a pair of FCS counters, which leaves any two of the following: SFA, Lamar, UCA, PVU and/or Texas Southern. But I'm guessing, so ...

yeah SFA isn’t going back to the southland. You usually are spot on but not on this one

TheRevSFA
December 10th, 2021, 09:51 PM
Don't feel bad. It's not just Louisiana schools they deride and look down their noses at. It's everybody, ESPECIALLY Sam Houston. As happy as they should be about Sammy representing the the FCS Texas faction and the (then) WAC conference mates representing, they couldn't bring themselves to give any props. When SFA basketball makes their inevitable Big Dance run, the Sam Houston folks I know support them and root for them. Honestly, the SFA fans here on AGS and maybe a couple over at the sawmill are tolerable. You would think that they would welcome rival fans on their forum, but if you go over there to talk real football, they are basically ignored. If you go over there to stir up some friendly smack, they get defensive and ban you. So, I don't feel too sorry for them.

aren’t you FBS yet? xlolx

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2021, 11:47 PM
yeah SFA isn’t going back to the southland. You usually are spot on but not on this one

I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

WE_ARE_LIONS
December 11th, 2021, 11:01 PM

For what it’s worth, the TAMUC AD discussed over a halftime radio interview some possibilities for our group to gain eligibility faster than normal. Long story short, there is a chance that a series of events all aligning could encourage options for appealing eligibility.

The scheduled NCAA Bylaw review coincides with all of this OU-Texas driven realignment, and a ton of conferences have a vested interest in getting their teams eligible immediately. There may be enough member school votes there to create conditions wherein schools can reduce that probation period. And that probably requires help from the Texas state government, but at this point almost every system is affected in some way.

lionsrking2
December 12th, 2021, 12:38 AM
For what it’s worth, the TAMUC AD discussed over a halftime radio interview some possibilities for our group to gain eligibility faster than normal. Long story short, there is a chance that a series of events all aligning could encourage options for appealing eligibility.

The scheduled NCAA Bylaw review coincides with all of this OU-Texas driven realignment, and a ton of conferences have a vested interest in getting their teams eligible immediately. There may be enough member school votes there to create conditions wherein schools can reduce that probation period. And that probably requires help from the Texas state government, but at this point almost every system is affected in some way.
Maybe speed it up a year or two but almost zero chance to be a counter in 2022. I suppose if you have a roster that is 100 percent D-I eligible and compliant it could happen but there’s good reason for a probationary period in most circumstances.

FormerPokeCenter
December 12th, 2021, 01:05 PM
SFA fans are insufferable, we all know that..........

This is perhaps the most amusing bit of unintentional irony I've seen on AGS in years. Very well done!

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2021, 03:42 PM

I think we are all about to get some answers! Just as the NIL thing was a big deal that was largely overlooked by most of the population, fan bases - I suspect the NCAA constitutional changes will be another huge change that will indeed impact a lot more than most of the general fan bases are aware of.

Maybe speed it up a year or two but almost zero chance to be a counter in 2022. I suppose if you have a roster that is 100 percent D-I eligible and compliant it could happen but there’s good reason for a probationary period in most circumstances.

A year or two would make a huge difference for the Southland which will be filing a few waivers in sports to maintain their AQ status.

I think the thing we have to think about in the back of our minds if how exactly the NCAA constitutional changes play out and how much of schools moving up in classification from Division II to Division I is impacted. Is it a steeper climb? Or is the move made a bit easier (i.e. the transitional timeline). If it's made a bit easier, does that open the door for some of these "Southland footprint Division II schools" to consider a move up? Will be interesting!

And to the post a few up about SFA & Lamar... LOL, LOL, LOL

KPSUL
December 13th, 2021, 03:50 PM
I'm new to this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and read 32 pages of posts, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. BUT, wouldn't it make sense to merge the Big South and Southland into one football conference?

lionsrking2
December 13th, 2021, 05:17 PM
I'm new to this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and read 32 pages of posts, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. BUT, wouldn't it make sense to merge the Big South and Southland into one football conference?
No — geographically too spread out. Makes more sense to merge with OVC.

Puddin Tane
December 14th, 2021, 12:38 AM

makes as much sense as Lamar moving to the WACk

McNeese72
December 14th, 2021, 08:23 AM
McNeese should be announcing their new head football coach by the end of this week.

Doc

McNeese72
December 16th, 2021, 05:07 PM
McNeese's next coach won't be K.J. I heard name withdrawn.

Should find out who it will be in the next day or two barring any changes.

Doc

McNeese72
December 19th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Behind door number 3 is................. Everybody should find out tomorrow.

Doc

Daytripper
December 19th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Behind door number 3 is................. Everybody should find out tomorrow.

Doc

Do you have an educated guess??

McNeese72
December 19th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Do you have an educated guess??

Just announced. Valdosta Head Coach, Gary Goff.

Doc

Daytripper
December 19th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Just announced. Valdosta Head Coach, Gary Goff.

Doc

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/12/19/breaking-mcneese-hires-valdosta-states-gary-goff/

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 05:59 AM
At this point, I don't think McNeese could have done any better. Goff has built programs like Tiffin State, taking over an 0-11 team and in his time there left them a winner. He was an assistant coach at Southeastern and so is familiar with the SLC, Louisiana, and McNeese -- and he had applied for this position previously, and so he wanted to be here. McNeese football fans are not an easy lot to please, but so far everyone seems to be pleased and excited. I have not read or heard a discoraging word. Geaux Pokes!

Daytripper
December 20th, 2021, 08:22 AM
At this point, I don't think McNeese could have done any better. Goff has built programs like Tiffin State, taking over an 0-11 team and in his time there left them a winner. He was an assistant coach at Southeastern and so is familiar with the SLC, Louisiana, and McNeese -- and he had applied for this position previously, and so he wanted to be here. McNeese football fans are not an easy lot to please, but so far everyone seems to be pleased and excited. I have not read or heard a discoraging word. Geaux Pokes!

I hope this hire works out for you guys. FCS football is always better when McNeese is in the playoff mix.

McNeese72
December 20th, 2021, 08:54 AM
I hope this hire works out for you guys. FCS football is always better when McNeese is in the playoff mix.

The plan is to not be in the FCS for very long (how long is not certain). Our university president who was a all-SLC linebacker in the 70's and played on a couple of our Independence Bowl teams, is dead set on moving up. I am pretty sure that was discussed with Goff in the negotiations.

Doc

McNeese72
December 20th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Also, Coach Goff is going to be thrown into the FCS fire pretty quick. If I remember right, we open at Montana St. next season. ;)

Doc

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 09:23 AM
The plan is to not be in the FCS for very long (how long is not certain). Our university president who was a all-SLC linebacker in the 70's and played on a couple of our Independence Bowl teams, is dead set on moving up. I am pretty sure that was discussed with Goff in the negotiations.

Doc

We know, Doc, but don't rush it. We need to build back a program that some FBS conference would be interested in. For now, we are FCS and how we do there is all that matters.

Daytripper is correct. It's been too long, too many years for McNeese to have been excluded from the playoffs. What he said about McNeese is how I feel about Montana. It's just better when Montana is in the mix.

Geaux Pokes!
Good luck to the BearKats in FBS! We'll be watching you.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2021, 09:54 AM
We know, Doc, but don't rush it. We need to build back a program that some FBS conference would be interested in. For now, we are FCS and how we do there is all that matters.

Daytripper is correct. It's been too long, too many years for McNeese to have been excluded from the playoffs. What he said about McNeese is how I feel about Montana. It's just better when Montana is in the mix.

Geaux Pokes!
Good luck to the BearKats in FBS! We'll be watching you.

McNeese in lifeboat with Delaware, very similar storied FCS programs trying to get a second chance at life

Delaware made the lifeless Rocco walk the plank and your Coach was first one off the sinking ship leaving women and children behind

I would be excited by Goff like y’all seem to to be

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 10:21 AM
McNeese in lifeboat with Delaware, very similar storied FCS programs trying to get a second chance at life

Delaware made the lifeless Rocco walk the plank and your Coach was first one off the sinking ship leaving women and children behind

I would be excited by Goff like y’all seem to to be

Wilson didn't exactly exit a "sinking ship." He was called to higher glory (and lots more money) at LSU.

Despite everything McNeese has been through, we are not exactly in the dumpster. This fall under Wilson the Cowboys split games with the SLC champion UIW, and lost two 3-point games to second place SLU. McNeese held these two to their lowest point totals during the regular season. Our defense was pretty decent. If our offense and place kicking had been just a little better, the playoff hiatus may have ended this fall. That may be a bit of a stretch, but I don't think we are that far off.

From what I can tell, Delaware (who McNeese has some history with dating back to the 1970's) hired a good one. Would love to see another Cowboys/Blue Hens battle again one day.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Wilson didn't exactly exit a "sinking ship." He was called to higher glory (and lots more money) at LSU.

Despite everything McNeese has been through, we are not exactly in the dumpster. This fall under Wilson the Cowboys split games with the SLC champion UIW, and lost two 3-point games to second place SLU. McNeese held these two to their lowest point totals during the regular season. Our defense was pretty decent. If our offense and place kicking had been just a little better, the playoff hiatus may have ended this fall. That may be a bit of a stretch, but I don't think we are that far off.

From what I can tell, Delaware (who McNeese has some history with dating back to the 1970's) hired a good one. Would love to see another Cowboys/Blue Hens battle again one day.

Same here!

We had some great stories posted on gohens about the 1974 game when you came to Newark.... Cowbells and a big Delaware comeback. Nate Beasley

And of course the 1997 Semi where you broke a lot of hearts

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 11:44 AM
Same here!

We had some great stories posted on gohens about the 1974 game when you came to Newark.... Cowbells and a big Delaware comeback. Nate Beasley

And of course the 1997 Semi where you broke a lot of hearts

The Cowboys and Hens have actually met in the playoffs twice. I remember listening to the 1974 game on the radio. Heartbreaking.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2021, 12:19 PM
The Cowboys and Hens have actually met in the playoffs twice. I remember listening to the 1974 game on the radio. Heartbreaking.

when was the other playoff game? 1995?

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 12:35 PM

Yes, '95. The Cowboys did some chicken plucking that night. It wasn't even close.

I also listened to the 2002 game on my car radio. Living in the Houston area, I couldn't make it to Lake Charles and was too far away to pick it up on the radio (no online broadcast back then or I didn't know about it) -- so I drove about halfway to LC and the reception kept going in and out as I was driving along the interstate. I remember us lining up to kick the game winning field goal and I thought I heard it was good, and then lost reception for several minutes. I was going crazy until the reception came back and it was confirmed. I was probably a danger to others on the road.

Sigh. I miss those playoff games against Delaware, Montana, UNI, and Youngstown (not really YSU because we lost to them in the '97 championship game.) It's just really exciting to play good teams from other parts of the country.

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Introductory conference (video) for new McNeese head football coach Gary Goff. https://www.kplctv.com/2021/12/20/live-noon-mcneese-introduces-new-head-football-coach/

He is very well-spoken and seems so real, so genuine -- a great fit for the SW Louisiana community. Geaux Pokes!

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Yes, '95. The Cowboys did some chicken plucking that night. It wasn't even close.

I also listened to the 2002 game on my car radio. Living in the Houston area, I couldn't make it to Lake Charles and was too far away to pick it up on the radio (no online broadcast back then or I didn't know about it) -- so I drove about halfway to LC and the reception kept going in and out as I was driving along the interstate. I remember us lining up to kick the game winning field goal and I thought I heard it was good, and then lost reception for several minutes. I was going crazy until the reception came back and it was confirmed. I was probably a danger to others on the road.

Sigh. I miss those playoff games against Delaware, Montana, UNI, and Youngstown (not really YSU because we lost to them in the '97 championship game.) It's just really exciting to play good teams from other parts of the country.

I listened to Delaware games on the radio back in the 70s, I was hooked. I’m pretty sure That game you mentioned was the 97 game, I feel your pain. I was at work that day watching the score on yahoo and it was frozen for the longest time at like 9 to 7 Delaware but you had the ball deep in Delaware territory with only seconds on the clock for what seemed like 15 minutes. Finally the page refreshes and boom ....

Final McNeese St 10
Delaware 9

that hurt

I was looking forward to finally getting to see Delaware on TV the next Saturday but nope

Daytripper
December 20th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Introductory conference (video) for new McNeese head football coach Gary Goff. https://www.kplctv.com/2021/12/20/live-noon-mcneese-introduces-new-head-football-coach/

He is very well-spoken and seems so real, so genuine -- a great fit for the SW Louisiana community. Geaux Pokes!

He is a Mumme/Leach/Holgerson disciple? I expect you guys will get one of those good QBs in the portal. Quarterbacks love to play in that type of offense.

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 08:24 PM
I listened to Delaware games on the radio back in the 70s, I was hooked. I’m pretty sure That game you mentioned was the 97 game, I feel your pain. I was at work that day watching the score on yahoo and it was frozen for the longest time at like 9 to 7 Delaware but you had the ball deep in Delaware territory with only seconds on the clock for what seemed like 15 minutes. Finally the page refreshes and boom ....

Final McNeese St 10
Delaware 9

that hurt

I was looking forward to finally getting to see Delaware on TV the next Saturday but nope

We were the Cardiac Cowboys.

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 08:27 PM
He is a Mumme/Leach/Holgerson disciple? I expect you guys will get one of those good QBs in the portal. Quarterbacks love to play in that type of offense.

We might already have a couple on the roster, two freshmen recruited under Wilson. But, yeah, if we go into the portal, which I think Wilson had planned to do, there certainly should be some interested QB's!

Goff has developed his own style over the years and is not as "air raid" as the other two. Rushing and passing average per game was almost identical at Valdosta under him.

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 08:28 PM

This is a great site to see scores from past years. Scroll to your conference and click your school: http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1aa.htm

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 08:32 PM

Final McNeese St 10
Delaware 9

that hurt

The score for that game was Good Guys 23 - Blue Hens 21.

The following week McNeese were the blue ones, losing 10-9 to the YSU Penguins.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2021, 08:40 PM
The score for that game was Good Guys 23 - Blue Hens 21.

The following week McNeese were the blue ones, losing 10-9 to the YSU Penguins.

Delaware has a lot of history playing in Louisiana

1982 they played La Tech in the mud at Ruston, Semi Final win for the Hens lead by FB Dan Reeder. His son Troy is in the NFL for the Rams and other son Colby just transferred to Iowa State.

McCowboys
December 20th, 2021, 08:49 PM
Delaware has a lot of history playing in Louisiana

1982 they played La Tech in the mud at Ruston, Semi Final win for the Hens lead by FB Dan Reeder. His son Troy is in the NFL for the Rams and other son Colby just transferred to Iowa State.

Cool!

caribbeanhen
December 21st, 2021, 08:21 AM
Cool!

Yea, I had to watch that game in the TV section at Sears in Mobile, Alabama

I kick myself today for not trying to make the drive over to Ruston for that game

1992 we beat Louisiana Monroe ln a playoff game

i think they were NE Louisiana back then

McCowboys
December 21st, 2021, 12:40 PM
Yea, I had to watch that game in the TV section at Sears in Mobile, Alabama

I kick myself today for not trying to make the drive over to Ruston for that game

1992 we beat Louisiana Monroe ln a playoff game

i think they were NE Louisiana back then

Yes, NLU (now Louisiana Monroe) and LaTech had some very good teams back then.

McNeese72
December 21st, 2021, 04:56 PM
We might already have a couple on the roster, two freshmen recruited under Wilson. But, yeah, if we go into the portal, which I think Wilson had planned to do, there certainly should be some interested QB's!

Goff has developed his own style over the years and is not as "air raid" as the other two. Rushing and passing average per game was almost identical at Valdosta under him.

He ended up with 3 1000 yard rushers on this past season's team.

Doc

McCowboys
December 22nd, 2021, 11:29 AM
https://mcneesesports.com/news/2021/12/22/football-chambers-earns-consensus-all-america-status.aspx

LAKE CHARLES - McNeese graduate defense end Isaiah Chambers (https://mcneesesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8597) has earned Consensus All-American status for the second straight season after being named first team All-America by three more organizations - AFCA, Stats Perform and Athlon Sports.

The Houston native has already earned first team All-America honors by the Associated Press and by the FCS Athletic Directors Association while picking up third team honors by Hero Sports.

He becomes the 17 Consensus All-American in school history.

McCowboys
December 22nd, 2021, 02:14 PM
No — geographically too spread out. Makes more sense to merge with OVC.

Mr. Lion, I saw on another thread about the SLU recruits, and logically it seems as though the Lions are beefing up the defense. What about the quarterback position? Who steps into Kelley's shoes?

lionsrking2
December 22nd, 2021, 04:30 PM
Mr. Lion, I saw on another thread about the SLU recruits, and logically it seems as though the Lions are beefing up the defense. What about the quarterback position? Who steps into Kelley's shoes?

Good question: the battle this spring should be intense, between Cephus Johnson, Grant Tisdale, and Colby Suits — all FBS transfers — and wouldn't rule out another FBS transfer entering the mix, if the right guy is available. Cephus and Suits, both have FBS starting experience and Tisdale was a highly recruited 4-star recruit out of Allen HS in Texas. Tisdale doesn't have the starting experience of the other two but did throw a TD pass at Alabama as a true freshman. We also have a couple of redshirt freshmen-to-be who are talented.

Cephus is one of our team captains, and has FBS starting experience, but battled injuries this fall. We've used him in a slash/hybrid role, and he's gotten a few series at QB here and there, but never really got to show his true ability due to a nagging ankle injury. When healthy, he's as physically gifted as any QB we've ever had.

Tisdale got caught up in the coaching change at Ole Miss and was stuck behind Matt Corral. He showed up on our doorstep late in fall camp, willing to walk-on, in order to learn in a pro-style offense, under our coaching staff.

Colby Suits was the starter in 2020 at ULM, but entered the portal early this fall. He started eight games — including two 300+ yards passing games — but the performance was uneven. His claim to fame is one of the greatest single game performances in Texas high school history at North Forney HS, accounting for 600 yards of total offense and 10 combined TDs in a 70-65 win over Wylie East.

McCowboys
December 22nd, 2021, 04:44 PM
Good question: the battle this spring should be intense, between Cephus Johnson, Grant Tisdale, and Colby Suits — all FBS transfers — and wouldn't rule out another FBS transfer entering the mix, if the right guy is available. Cephus and Suits, both have FBS starting experience and Tisdale was a highly recruited 4-star recruit out of Allen HS in Texas. Tisdale doesn't have the starting experience of the other two but did throw a TD pass at Alabama as a true freshman. We also have a couple of redshirt freshmen-to-be who are talented.

Cephus is one of our team captains, and has FBS starting experience, but battled injuries this fall. We've used him in a slash/hybrid role, and he's gotten a few series at QB here and there, but never really got to show his true ability due to a nagging ankle injury. When healthy, he's as physically gifted as any QB we've ever had.

Tisdale got caught up in the coaching change at Ole Miss and was stuck behind Matt Corral. He showed up on our doorstep late in fall camp, willing to walk-on, in order to learn in a pro-style offense, under our coaching staff.

Colby Suits was the starter in 2020 at ULM, but entered the portal early this fall. He started eight games — including two 300+ yards passing games — but the performance was uneven. His claim to fame is one of the greatest single game performances in Texas high school history at North Forney HS, accounting for 600 yards of total offense and 10 combined TDs in a 70-65 win over Wylie East.

Whoever is will be certainly has big shoes to fill!

McNeese is starting all over again. We've got four or five QB's on the roster, but only Walker Wood (the transfer from Kentucky) has any experience an virtually none with McNeese except as a running back and wide receiver. Wilson recruited two talented high school QB's but it will be up to the new coach to see whose there and if they fit in.

Speaking of starting all over. I am hearing that Goff has dismissed all the current assistant coaches. I think most of us fans were hoping he would keep a couple of them for various reasons. I don't know this for a fact, but more than one person has said this on the GeauxCowboysDotCom Facebook page.

lionsrking2
December 22nd, 2021, 04:56 PM
Whoever is will be certainly has big shoes to fill!

McNeese is starting all over again. We've got four or five QB's on the roster, but only Walker Wood (the transfer from Kentucky) has any experience an virtually none with McNeese except as a running back and wide receiver. Wilson recruited two talented high school QB's but it will be up to the new coach to see whose there and if they fit in.

Speaking of starting all over. I am hearing that Goff has dismissed all the current assistant coaches. I think most of us fans were hoping he would keep a couple of them for various reasons. I don't know this for a fact, but more than one person has said this on the GeauxCowboysDotCom Facebook page.

Big shoes to fill, literally and figuratively. I'm confident somebody will step up. We may not have another 5,100+ yard passer anytime soon, but we'll be good on offense as long as our current staff stays relatively intact.

I didn't get to know Gary Goff that well when he was at Southeastern, but by all accounts, a good guy, who's been around good football people. He'll bring his own stamp and can't blame him for wanting to bring his own staff. There are good reasons to keep holdovers from previous staff, but it can cut both ways. If you're starting over, start over. With the portal the way it is now, it won't be hard to fill a roster, or quickly find a few impact guys.

McCowboys
December 22nd, 2021, 09:02 PM
Big shoes to fill, literally and figuratively. I'm confident somebody will step up. We may not have another 5,100+ yard passer anytime soon, but we'll be good on offense as long as our current staff stays relatively intact.

I didn't get to know Gary Goff that well when he was at Southeastern, but by all accounts, a good guy, who's been around good football people. He'll bring his own stamp and can't blame him for wanting to bring his own staff. There are good reasons to keep holdovers from previous staff, but it can cut both ways. If you're starting over, start over. With the portal the way it is now, it won't be hard to fill a roster, or quickly find a few impact guys.

Lots to do for all teams (except those still in playoffs and bowl games) but so much excitement waiting to see all the changes coming in personnel and rosters -- and a long, long time to wait for fall 2022 for everyone. You have a good head coach. Do you think the rest of your staff will stay intact? I think that's why most McNeese fans wanted to keep one or two coaches, just for some continuity after so much upheaval the last 5 or 6 years.

Goff and his wife certainly appear to be genuinely happy to be here, and that is a real good thing. They seem to be really good people who will fit in well in SW Louisiana. He's already had meet and greets last night at one of Lake Charles popular haunts, BeauxDine's, and hosted a coffee with the coaches this morning where he met with local high school coaches. It must be nice to be young and have so much energy. ;-)

lionsrking2
December 22nd, 2021, 10:40 PM
Lots to do for all teams (except those still in playoffs and bowl games) but so much excitement waiting to see all the changes coming in personnel and rosters -- and a long, long time to wait for fall 2022 for everyone. You have a good head coach. Do you think the rest of your staff will stay intact? I think that's why most McNeese fans wanted to keep one or two coaches, just for some continuity after so much upheaval the last 5 or 6 years.

Goff and his wife certainly appear to be genuinely happy to be here, and that is a real good thing. They seem to be really good people who will fit in well in SW Louisiana. He's already had meet and greets last night at one of Lake Charles popular haunts, BeauxDine's, and hosted a coffee with the coaches this morning where he met with local high school coaches. It must be nice to be young and have so much energy. ;-)

I'll be shocked if we don't lose at least one or two assistants on offense. We've had top five offenses the last three years and it's a matter of time before the coaching food chain swallows them up. We're fortunate we've had Greg Stevens as long we have, over two different stints, and our position coaches are young guys with upside in the profession. They all seem to like it here, and we have outstanding organizational culture, but I don't expect them to turn down opportunities to advance in the profession and earn more money for their families.

McCowboys
December 23rd, 2021, 06:41 AM
I'll be shocked if we don't lose at least one or two assistants on offense. We've had top five offenses the last three years and it's a matter of time before the coaching food chain swallows them up. We're fortunate we've had Greg Stevens as long we have, over two different stints, and our position coaches are young guys with upside in the profession. They all seem to like it here, and we have outstanding organizational culture, but I don't expect them to turn down opportunities to advance in the profession and earn more money for their families.

In this day and age, I would say that is pretty remarkable to have such a stable staff. It wasn't long ago that McNeese was like that, but since 2015 it has been a revolving door.

What was being reported by several McNeese fans is true. Coach Goff has not retained any of the previous staff: https://mcneesesports.com/sports/football/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

I wonder if T A&M - Commerce has a fan page. Maybe we could get some of them to join us here. With UIW leaving the SLC and little to no representation by the other current schools, it looks like its up to SLU and McNeese to keep the Southland relevant on this AGS forum.

McCowboys
December 23rd, 2021, 08:10 AM
Keith Zembower (Zem) talks a good bit about coaching changes, the reasons and effects, in his blog today (Thursday, Dec. 23):
https://zemsgems.wordpress.com/2021/12/23/thursday-62/comment-page-1/#comment-22798

lionsrking2
December 23rd, 2021, 11:14 PM
In this day and age, I would say that is pretty remarkable to have such a stable staff. It wasn't long ago that McNeese was like that, but since 2015 it has been a revolving door.

What was being reported by several McNeese fans is true. Coach Goff has not retained any of the previous staff: https://mcneesesports.com/sports/football/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

I wonder if T A&M - Commerce has a fan page. Maybe we could get some of them to join us here. With UIW leaving the SLC and little to no representation by the other current schools, it looks like its up to SLU and McNeese to keep the Southland relevant on this AGS forum.

The only place I've found Commerce fans is on the D2message board https://www.d2football.com/forum/forum/football/super-region-4/lsc ... haven't been able to locate a dedicated board just for them.

McCowboys
December 25th, 2021, 06:46 AM
The only place I've found Commerce fans is on the D2message board https://www.d2football.com/forum/forum/football/super-region-4/lsc ... haven't been able to locate a dedicated board just for them.

Thanks!

Merry Christmas everyone!

McCowboys
December 29th, 2021, 02:37 PM

Recognize this guy? https://lionsports.net/honors/southeastern-athletics-hall-of-fame/felton-huggins/131
He's McNeese's new wide receivers coach: https://twitter.com/McNeeseFootball/status/1476289466230784002

McNeese75
December 29th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Recognize this guy? https://lionsports.net/honors/southeastern-athletics-hall-of-fame/felton-huggins/131
He's McNeese's new wide receivers coach: https://twitter.com/McNeeseFootball/status/1476289466230784002

Well I sure as hell do. He lit our ass up.

McCowboys
December 29th, 2021, 05:56 PM
Well I sure as hell do. He lit our ass up.

LOL! Well, should we keep him or send him back? xlolx

McCowboys
December 30th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Head Coach Gary Goff announces his McNeese staff: https://mcneesesports.com/news/2021/12/30/football-gary-goff-announces-additions-to-coaching-staff.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2GRJNL65SW-K4JXBYbZk59z_0-6bdbn58HlzXf8bJGaChvv4ig2sZ6zdw

The article has the bios of these new McNeese coaches:

2022 McNeese Football Coaching Staff (as of Dec. 30, 2021)
Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator: Gary Goff (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=521)
Defensive Coordinator: Tony Pecoraro (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=526)
Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator: Ryan Allgood (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=523)
Quarterbacks: Phillip Ely (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=524)
Running Backs/Camp Coordinator: Thomas Reese (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=525)
Wide Receivers: Felton Huggins (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=528)
Tight Ends: Sean Fogarty (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=527)
Linebackers: Dwight Jackson (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=529)
Defensive Line: Marc Yellock (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=531)
Defensive Backs: Mike Johnson (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=530)
Defensive Quality Control: Marco Sanchez (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=532)

McCowboys
January 2nd, 2022, 06:51 AM
Stay warm all my SLC buddies and rivals! Cold and freezing weather has arrived!

lionsrking2
January 2nd, 2022, 09:50 AM
It’ll be 90 before you know it.

lionsrking2
January 2nd, 2022, 10:09 AM

McCowboys
January 9th, 2022, 06:51 AM
McNeese new head coach Gary Goff has signed Virginia Tech transfer sophomore quarterback Knox Kadum: https://www.americanpress.com/2022/01/08/goff-lures-new-qb-to-mcneese/

Also committed is a community college transfer place kicker (much needed) originally from Florida and a sophomore offensive lineman who follows Goff from Valdosta State.

Goff filled another trouble spot by getting a commitment from kicker C.J. Moya from Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. The Cowboys were dreadful in the kicking game last year, connecting on 5 of 11 field goal attempts with a long of 32 yards and six missed point-after kicks. Moya played two years at Hutchinson, hitting on 8 of 13 field goal tries, including a long of 39 yards. He was 85 of 88 on PATs. Goff is also bringing with him from Valdosta State a young offensive lineman, 6-3, 297-pound sophomore Richard LeClair. LeClair was a starter on the Blazers line, helping VSU to the D-II national title game.“He is big and strong and has very good feet,” Goff said of LeClair. “He is going to add some depth on that line. He also knows our offense and what we want to do.”

UNAPride
January 11th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Are you hearing any rumors in your neck of the woods of SELA leaving the Southland?

Puddin Tane
January 11th, 2022, 02:42 PM
Are you hearing any rumors in your neck of the woods of SELA leaving the Southland?

theres a new rumor every day bout the southland and the schools that just left for the WACk

caribbeanhen
January 11th, 2022, 02:46 PM

The rumor right here on AGS is SLA would be 3-5 in the Southern conference this year, I totally disagree

Puddin Tane
January 11th, 2022, 07:29 PM
The rumor right here on AGS is SLA would be 3-5 in the Southern conference this year, I totally disagree

i agree with your disagreement

Daytripper
January 11th, 2022, 08:39 PM

This is an accurate take.

UNAPride
January 12th, 2022, 01:15 PM
Someone at Jax State saw their fall schedule and it had SELA listed as an ASUN game. But, it seems it was likely just a clerical error in that SELA owed JSU a return game from 2020.

lionsrking2
January 13th, 2022, 11:50 PM
Someone at Jax State saw their fall schedule and it had SELA listed as an ASUN game. But, it seems it was likely just a clerical error in that SELA owed JSU a return game from 2020.
Clerical error. We do play JSU but it is a rescheduled return game from 2020 as you mentioned. I wish it were an ASUN game but looks like we’re staying put. Latest rumor, starting in 2023, is Lamar is coming back and SEMO and Tennessee State are coming in. We shall see.

McCowboys
January 14th, 2022, 06:21 AM
Clerical error. We do play JSU but it is a rescheduled return game from 2020 as you mentioned. I wish it were an ASUN game but looks like we’re staying put. Latest rumor, starting in 2023, is Lamar is coming back and SEMO and Tennessee State are coming in. We shall see.

Lamar returning would be good. Did you see where Lamar's AD has taken a leave of absence "for the foreseeable future." ? Add SEMO, Tennessee State, and bring back UCA. That might work.

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2022, 08:28 AM
Honestly these new conferences are like the ebb and flood of tides and currents

Nobody knows what there doing right now

Puddin Tane
January 14th, 2022, 12:31 PM
Lamar returning would be good. Did you see where Lamar's AD has taken a leave of absence "for the foreseeable future." ? Add SEMO, Tennessee State, and bring back UCA. That might work.

our whole athletic program is a train wreck….

i hope we get outta the WACk

lionsrking2
January 14th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Didn't realize that about Born, but from what I understand, he was a big player in the Texas schools bolting for the WAC. Him taking a "leave of absence for the foreseeable future" is a telling sign that Lamar may indeed be coming back. Haven't heard anything about UCA coming back. A Southland lineup of Louisiana four, HBU, Lamar, Commerce, SEMO and TSU is tolerable in my opinion, at least in the near term. Gives us nine schools, reasonable travel for most and doesn't diminish the league's profile. We know Lamar — struggling program but has been to the playoffs as recently as 2018, and have potential — SEMO was in the playoffs a couple of years ago and Tennessee State has had success in the past, and a great road trip for fans. If this is indeed the move, it buys time to assess D2 move ups and plan for the next round of shuffling. The present wave caught most off guard and left us scrambling.

McCowboys
January 18th, 2022, 11:31 AM
Northwestern State Demons release 2022 schedule. The schedule calls for one double-dip in the SLC as the Demons will have a home and home against the Southeastern Louisiana Lions:
https://www.kalb.com/2022/01/17/visit-montana-neutral-site-tilt-vs-grambling-highlight-northwestern-states-2022-slate/

2022 Northwestern State Football Schedule
Date Opponent Location
Sept. 3 at Montana Missoula, Montana
Sept. 10 Grambling Shreveport
Sept. 17 at Southern Miss Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Sept. 24 Southeastern* Natchitoches
Oct. 1 Nicholls* Natchitoches
Oct. 8 at Eastern Illinois Charleston, Illinois
Oct. 15 at Houston Baptist* Houston
Oct. 22 Southeast Missouri Natchitoches
Nov. 5 at Texas A&M-Commerce* Commerce, Texas
Nov. 12 at Southeastern* Hammond
Nov. 19 McNeese* Natchitoches

lionsrking2
January 18th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Northwestern State Demons release 2022 schedule. The schedule calls for one double-dip in the SLC as the Demons will have a home and home against the Southeastern Louisiana Lions:
https://www.kalb.com/2022/01/17/visit-montana-neutral-site-tilt-vs-grambling-highlight-northwestern-states-2022-slate/

2022 Northwestern State Football Schedule
Date Opponent Location
Sept. 3 at Montana Missoula, Montana
Sept. 10 Grambling Shreveport
Sept. 17 at Southern Miss Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Sept. 24 Southeastern* Natchitoches
Oct. 1 Nicholls* Natchitoches
Oct. 8 at Eastern Illinois Charleston, Illinois
Oct. 15 at Houston Baptist* Houston
Oct. 22 Southeast Missouri Natchitoches
Nov. 5 at Texas A&M-Commerce* Commerce, Texas
Nov. 12 at Southeastern* Hammond
Nov. 19 McNeese* Natchitoches
I think we all have one conference opponent twice. Our schedule is pretty much done, not sure what we’re waiting on.

McCowboys
January 18th, 2022, 02:39 PM
I think we all have one conference opponent twice. Our schedule is pretty much done, not sure what we’re waiting on.

The same for McNeese. About the only question I have is which SLC team we will face twice and how the decision was made.

McNeese72
January 19th, 2022, 09:47 AM
The same for McNeese. About the only question I have is which SLC team we will face twice and how the decision was made.

After last season's schedule, we deserve to play HBU twice. ;)

Doc

McCowboys
January 19th, 2022, 11:43 AM

Doc

Maybe even three times!

lionsrking2
January 19th, 2022, 12:04 PM

Doc
I’m sure if you yell at them they’ll make it happen. Shoot, I’ll be shocked if the Southland doesnt give McNeese all home games — in every sport.

FormerPokeCenter
January 19th, 2022, 01:55 PM
That's a fantastic idea. I'm gonna call Heath and Daryl and see if we can make that happen!

lionsrking2
January 19th, 2022, 02:35 PM
That's a fantastic idea. I'm gonna call Heath and Daryl and see if we can make that happen!
I'm sure they're on it already.

FormerPokeCenter
January 19th, 2022, 04:18 PM
It's a fantastic idea! Good for the conference! After all this craziness with scheduling people two and three times a year, it'll be nice to have some consistency week in and week out. Just come to LC every week. I like it!

I think it would be great for ESPN+ too...it'll make their programming scheduling easier....

Best of all, nobody has to lose money by going to Strawberrry Stadium!

McCowboys
January 19th, 2022, 06:50 PM
I’m sure if you yell at them they’ll make it happen. Shoot, I’ll be shocked if the Southland doesnt give McNeese all home games — in every sport.

We McNeese fans would certainly welcome your support in getting this done.

WE_ARE_LIONS
January 21st, 2022, 08:41 AM
TAMUC poster here.

Can you all provide a run down on tailgating for the Southland football programs? Are there specific places known for making it hard on visitors to tailgate, or any unique rules for a particular school?

McCowboys
January 21st, 2022, 09:47 AM
TAMUC poster here.

Can you all provide a run down on tailgating for the Southland football programs? Are there specific places known for making it hard on visitors to tailgate, or any unique rules for a particular school?

Welcome to AGS! Please bring some of your buddies here, too. I sent your question to a friend of mine at McNeese, and hopefully he will drop by soon to fill you in. I will say that McNeese has a reputation of having one of the best and most welcoming tailgating around.

WE_ARE_LIONS
January 25th, 2022, 12:12 PM

We have a fan page called The Lion Wire, but it is primarily an amateur sports writer (his words, not mine) making posts about the program. We don't have anything like KatFans, but you writing this has made me consider maybe we should??? Are there similar sites to consider when making a page, other than KatFans? I may try to pull some D2 posters over here, and see if they want to help get a fan site up and running.

FormerPokeCenter
January 25th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Once upon a time, all the SLC schools had message boards on the old Delphi message board site. They were all interlinked and it was fun to interact with the other fanbases, etc. The smack talk was a lot of fun, and people would meet each other at tailgating, etc. But, then Delphi was sort of a kludge and people migrated to different message board sites and the boards were no longer linked and the fan interaction seemed to evaporate somewhat. There are pages and groups on Facebook devoted to different SLC schools and to the FCS in general.

As to tailgating....

In the SLC there's McNeese and then there's everybody else fighting for second. I'm not being a jerk when I say that. I think that's pretty much universally undrstood in the SLC to be true. By and large the tailgate experiences at all the SLC schools are pretty good and the fans are accomodating. Now, in the stadiums, maybe not so much, that varies upon location. Word to the wise: Don't sit anywhere near the student section at Southeastern.

But, there's not much room in that stadium to begin with. You might just wanna skip that trip altogether ;)

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2022, 01:04 PM
We have a fan page called The Lion Wire, but it is primarily an amateur sports writer (his words, not mine) making posts about the program. We don't have anything like KatFans, but you writing this has made me consider maybe we should??? Are there similar sites to consider when making a page, other than KatFans? I may try to pull some D2 posters over here, and see if they want to help get a fan site up and running.

Here's a link to our board ... https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/slulionsden/

You'll need to register for a free username to read and participate but we have a pretty active group.

caribbeanhen
January 25th, 2022, 01:15 PM
Here's a link to our board ... https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/slulionsden/

You'll need to register for a free username to read and participate but we have a pretty active group.

LK2, what happened to your other message board if I may be so bold...

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2022, 01:17 PM
LK2, what happened to your other message board if I may be so bold...

It's the same board, but when Tapatalk absorbed the old host site the URL changed. The name changed but it's essentially the same board.

caribbeanhen
January 25th, 2022, 01:24 PM
It's the same board, but when Tapatalk absorbed the old host site the URL changed. The name changed but it's essentially the same board.

gotcha thanks

you know I have to keep tabs on my distant relatives haha

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2022, 01:32 PM
gotcha thanks

you know I have to keep tabs on my distant relatives haha

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/cousins-best-friends-ever-196069529.jpg

caribbeanhen
January 25th, 2022, 02:41 PM
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/cousins-best-friends-ever-196069529.jpg

haha

Ill leave that one alone

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2022, 02:44 PM
haha

Ill leave that one alone

Ha don't blame ya. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

McNeese75
January 25th, 2022, 03:13 PM
I sure why but the movie "Stepbrothers" just flashed through my mind :D

McCowboys
January 26th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Once upon a time, all the SLC schools had message boards on the old Delphi message board site. They were all interlinked and it was fun to interact with the other fanbases, etc. The smack talk was a lot of fun, and people would meet each other at tailgating, etc. But, then Delphi was sort of a kludge and people migrated to different message board sites and the boards were no longer linked and the fan interaction seemed to evaporate somewhat. There are pages and groups on Facebook devoted to different SLC schools and to the FCS in general.

As to tailgating....

In the SLC there's McNeese and then there's everybody else fighting for second. I'm not being a jerk when I say that. I think that's pretty much universally undrstood in the SLC to be true. By and large the tailgate experiences at all the SLC schools are pretty good and the fans are accomodating. Now, in the stadiums, maybe not so much, that varies upon location. Word to the wise: Don't sit anywhere near the student section at Southeastern.

But, there's not much room in that stadium to begin with. You might just wanna skip that trip altogether ;)

This is probably the most active McNeese site (Facebook), but it is private and you have to apply: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1916611195132328/

One of my favorite places is Zem's Gems, a daily blog, but I doubt you would be interested as it does focus on McNeese sports.

I did see that A&M Commerce does have an official sports page on Facebook and have visited there a couple of times.

caribbeanhen
January 26th, 2022, 05:42 PM
I sure why but the movie "Stepbrothers" just flashed through my mind :D

Ha, but nope. Those two boys were obviously Yankees.

McCowboys
February 1st, 2022, 06:54 AM
Excited for signing day tomorrow. Hopefully all of you Southland Conference fans will post your signees.

Geaux Pokes! Southland Strong!

lionsrking2
February 1st, 2022, 09:43 AM
Excited for signing day tomorrow. Hopefully all of you Southland Conference fans will post your signees.

Geaux Pokes! Southland Strong!

Most of our work was done in December, and through the transfer portal. We'll add a few more tomorrow, including a couple of big targets, but it'll be a relatively quiet day for the Lions.

McCowboys
February 3rd, 2022, 11:36 AM
McNeese signees -- Signed 22 in '22: https://mcneesesports.com/news/2022/2/2/mcneese-football-22-signing-day-updates.aspx

McCowboys
February 3rd, 2022, 11:38 AM
McNeese releases 2022 football schedule: https://mcneesesports.com/news/2022/2/3/2022-football-schedule-announced-home-kick-offs-7-pm.aspx

LAKE CHARLES – McNeese Athletics has announced the 2022 football schedule, the first under new head coach Gary Goff (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=521). It's a slate that features six home games with kick-offs moving back to the traditional 7 p.m. time slot.

"The tradition of Cowboy Football has always been kicking off at 7 p.m. in The Hole and that's what we're going back to doing," said Athletics Director Heath Schroyer (https://mcneesesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=354). "We're very excited about it."

lionsrking2
February 3rd, 2022, 12:48 PM
Lions add three high school signees on Wednesday to go along with 11 early signees. We don't release transfers with our signing classes but we've added 10 so far, for a total of 24 so far. One of the transfers is supposedly in but hasn't made it public so not going to post it here. But it's a big one.

https://lionsports.net/news/2022/2/2/football-slu-welcomes-three-for-2022-on-national-signing-day.aspx

FEBRUARY SIGNEES
Derrick “Rodeo” Graham—5’11, 215–Running Back—University HS, Baton Rouge, La. (SIGNED)
Kody Finley—6'5, 205—Wide Receiver—Ponchatoula HS, Ponchatoula, La. (SIGNED)
Alec Mahler—5'8, 205—Kicker/Punter—St. James HS, Vacherie, La. (SIGNED)

December Signees
Rowan Briggs–6'3, 240–Defensive End–Guyer HS, Denton, Tx. (SIGNED)
Kaleb Proctor–6'5, 267–Linebacker/Defensive End–Oak Grove HS, Oak Grove, La. (SIGNED)
K.K. Reno–5'11, 200–Strong Safety/Linebacker–Catholic HS, New Iberia, La. (SIGNED)
Ian Goodly–6'0, 170–Defensive Back–Covington HS, Covington, La. (SIGNED)
Varon Douglas–6'4, 200–Athlete–Mentorship Academy, Baton Rouge, La. (SIGNED)
Jordan Doucet–5'9, 155–Wide Receiver–Westgate HS, New Iberia, La. (SIGNED)
Kunta Hester—6’0, 180—Cornerback—Miss Gulf Coast CC/NW State/John Ehret HS, Marrero, La. (SIGNED & ENROLLED)
Jonathan Vaughn–5-10, 180—Athlete—Meridian HS, Meridian, Ms. (SIGNED)
Shemar Pearl—6’6, 235—Defensive End—Garden City CC, Plano, Tx. (SIGNED & ENROLLED)
Charles Hill—6'4, 255—Defensive End—Kilgore JC/Klein Oak HS, Klein, Tx. (SIGNED & ENROLLED)
Logan Potter—6'6, 295—Offensive Lineman—Covington HS, Covington, La. (SIGNED)

TRANSFERS
Colby Suits–6'4, 235–Quarterback—North Forney HS/UL-Monroe, Forney, Tx. (TRANSFER)
Darius Lewis–5'8, 165–Wide Receiver—De Valle HS/Abilene Christian, De Valle, Tx. (New Orleans originally) (TRANSFER)
Logan Canerdy–6'3, 295–Offensive Line–Northwestern State/Jones JC, Caledonia, Ms. (TRANSFER)
Michael Bowe, Jr.—6'3, 225—Linebacker— New Mexico St/City College of San Francisco/American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fl. (TRANSFER)
Brenden Flowers—6'0, 195—Defensive Back—Grand View U/River Forest HS, Oak Park, Il. (TRANSFER)
Carlos Washington, Jr.—5'11, 208—Running Back—U New Hampshire/Riverdale Baptist, Fort Washington, Md. (TRANSFER)
Kyle Edwards—6'0, 210—Running Back—U Alabama/Destrehan HS, Destrehan, La. (TRANSFER)
Jacob Logan —6'3, 240—Tight End—Northwestern State/McNeese/Deer Park HS, Deer Park, Tx. (TRANSFER)
Anthony Britton, Jr.—6'2, 230—Linebacker—The Citadel/Eagles Landing HS, Stockbridge, Ga. (TRANSFER)
******* *******—6'4, 320—Defensive Tackle—***/* of *******/***** HS, *****, **.

FormerPokeCenter
February 3rd, 2022, 02:00 PM
Lions add three high school signees on Wednesday to go along with 11 early signees. We don't release transfers with our signing classes but we've added 10 so far, for a total of 24 so far. One of the transfers is supposedly in but hasn't made it public so not going to post it here. But it's a big one.

https://lionsports.net/news/2022/2/2/football-slu-welcomes-three-for-2022-on-national-signing-day.aspx

FEBRUARY SIGNEES
Derrick “Rodeo” Graham—5’11, 215–Running Back—University HS, Baton Rouge, La. (SIGNED)
Kody Finley—6'5, 205—Wide Receiver—Ponchatoula HS, Ponchatoula, La. (SIGNED)
Alec Mahler—5'8, 205—Kicker/Punter—St. James HS, Vacherie, La. (SIGNED)

December Signees
Rowan Briggs–6'3, 240–Defensive End–Guyer HS, Denton, Tx. (SIGNED)
Kaleb Proctor–6'5, 267–Linebacker/Defensive End–Oak Grove HS, Oak Grove, La. (SIGNED)
K.K. Reno–5'11, 200–Strong Safety/Linebacker–Catholic HS, New Iberia, La. (SIGNED)
Ian Goodly–6'0, 170–Defensive Back–Covington HS, Covington, La. (SIGNED)
Varon Douglas–6'4, 200–Athlete–Mentorship Academy, Baton Rouge, La. (SIGNED)
Jordan Doucet–5'9, 155–Wide Receiver–Westgate HS, New Iberia, La. (SIGNED)
Kunta Hester—6’0, 180—Cornerback—Miss Gulf Coast CC/NW State/John Ehret HS, Marrero, La. (SIGNED & ENROLLED)
Jonathan Vaughn–5-10, 180—Athlete—Meridian HS, Meridian, Ms. (SIGNED)
Shemar Pearl—6’6, 235—Defensive End—Garden City CC, Plano, Tx. (SIGNED & ENROLLED)
Charles Hill—6'4, 255—Defensive End—Kilgore JC/Klein Oak HS, Klein, Tx. (SIGNED & ENROLLED)
Logan Potter—6'6, 295—Offensive Lineman—Covington HS, Covington, La. (SIGNED)

TRANSFERS
Colby Suits–6'4, 235–Quarterback—North Forney HS/UL-Monroe, Forney, Tx. (TRANSFER)
Darius Lewis–5'8, 165–Wide Receiver—De Valle HS/Abilene Christian, De Valle, Tx. (New Orleans originally) (TRANSFER)
Logan Canerdy–6'3, 295–Offensive Line–Northwestern State/Jones JC, Caledonia, Ms. (TRANSFER)
Michael Bowe, Jr.—6'3, 225—Linebacker— New Mexico St/City College of San Francisco/American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fl. (TRANSFER)
Brenden Flowers—6'0, 195—Defensive Back—Grand View U/River Forest HS, Oak Park, Il. (TRANSFER)
Carlos Washington, Jr.—5'11, 208—Running Back—U New Hampshire/Riverdale Baptist, Fort Washington, Md. (TRANSFER)
Kyle Edwards—6'0, 210—Running Back—U Alabama/Destrehan HS, Destrehan, La. (TRANSFER)
Jacob Logan —6'3, 240—Tight End—Northwestern State/McNeese/Deer Park HS, Deer Park, Tx. (TRANSFER)
Anthony Britton, Jr.—6'2, 230—Linebacker—The Citadel/Eagles Landing HS, Stockbridge, Ga. (TRANSFER)
******* *******—6'4, 320—Defensive Tackle—***/* of *******/***** HS, *****, **.

Your transfer tight end, Jacob Logan, should be a lock for the All SLC team next year, considering that he will have played for three of them. Where's he going next year? Nicholls???

lionsrking2
February 3rd, 2022, 03:56 PM
Your transfer tight end, Jacob Logan, should be a lock for the All SLC team next year, considering that he will have played for three of them. Where's he going next year? Nicholls???
If he has another year after 2022 you might be right.

McCowboys
February 7th, 2022, 06:20 AM
This podcast covers LSU and McNeese signing recap. The McNeese discussion starts around the 13th minute mark. According to them (and most McNeese fans), Coach Gary Goff and staff did an excellent job for having such a short time to rustle up some Cowboys. They only mention the Louisiana signees as they are not familiar with the out-of-state signees:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-reabj-119aed4?utm_campaign=au_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=au_share

McCowboys
February 10th, 2022, 11:47 AM
McNeese Coach Goff and staff host its second "Coffee with the Coaches": https://geauxpreps.com/home/mcneese-footballs-coffee-with-the-coaches-helps-builds-relationships-with-area-prep-staffs/?fbclid=IwAR3dhswSko3Hf_YtAE42QcQ8DYjjl0oDjXLHCeK1-gDQcTZCWmvd1p9CB-g

McCowboys
April 4th, 2022, 07:02 AM
Here's an article on the progress the McNeese Cowboys are making this spring season. Due to injuries and departures, a little less than 60 players are able to participate as new McNeese coach Gary Goff implements his fast-paced offense. No decision has been made on the starting QB, and this probably won't be done until the fall. One quarterback has been moved to the secondary.
https://www.americanpress.com/2022/04/03/energy-picks-up-in-second-scrimmage-goff-sees-improvement-in-all-three-facets/

McCowboys
April 5th, 2022, 08:43 PM
https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1511343899272482818

dgtw
April 7th, 2022, 03:15 PM
He’s off to a good start. Already got Lamar to come home.

https://www.americanpress.com/2022/04/07/breaking-lamar-headed-back-to-southland/

lionsrking2
April 7th, 2022, 03:35 PM
He’s off to a good start. Already got Lamar to come home.

https://www.americanpress.com/2022/04/07/breaking-lamar-headed-back-to-southland/

No surprise. This has been rumored for a while. SEMO is rumored to be next, and possibly Tennessee State—and starting to hear rumblings of SFA again, but not buying it.

FormerPokeCenter
April 7th, 2022, 03:44 PM
SE Oklahoma, or SEMO? SEMO would seem to make things more expensive , travel wise, while SEO would be a much better fit, closer to most teams than UCA or ACU were....plus, the more blue and gold in this former Prince Video of a conference, the better....

lionsrking2
April 7th, 2022, 04:12 PM
SE Oklahoma, or SEMO? SEMO would seem to make things more expensive , travel wise, while SEO would be a much better fit, closer to most teams than UCA or ACU were....plus, the more blue and gold in this former Prince Video of a conference, the better....

SEMO, as in Southeast Missouri. I also heard rumblings of possibly Central Oklahoma, but it's been a while since their name has surfaced. I hear all kinds of things: about 50% usually comes to fruition, about 25% has a kernel of truth, and the remaining 25% turns out to be total B.S. I have no idea where any of this falls, other than to say that Lamar coming back has panned out.

McCowboys
April 7th, 2022, 05:54 PM
https://kfdm.com/news/local/lamar-will-leave-wac-and-return-to-southland-conference-sources-say

McCowboys
April 7th, 2022, 05:58 PM
Lamar coming back really helps in football!
It's ironic that we in the SLC are hoping to add (or re-add) teams, while many fans in another conference are pitching a fit at the addition of another school to the MVFC.

atthewbon
April 7th, 2022, 06:18 PM
What’s going to happen to wac football? How many teams do they have now? Is it enough for an autobid?

KPSUL
April 7th, 2022, 06:48 PM
I believe they had 8 before the Lamar advance announcement. But two teams, Dixie St. and Tarleton St, don't count toward the auto-bid as they are in transition from Div 2 to FCS until Fall of 2023. I also don't know if Sam Houston is FCS playoff eligible because they have begun there transition to FBS; and I'd assume if they are not eligible for the playoffs they don't count towards the required 6 teams. Tomorrow morning we are suppose to learn the details of Lamar's move to the Southland, if it occurs before the Fall 2022 season, the WAC can definitely kiss the auto-bid goodbye.

Puddin Tane
April 7th, 2022, 07:25 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

acbearkat
April 7th, 2022, 07:59 PM
I believe they had 8 before the Lamar advance announcement. But two teams, Dixie St. and Tarleton St, don't count toward the auto-bid as they are in transition from Div 2 to FCS until Fall of 2023. I also don't know if Sam Houston is FCS playoff eligible because they have begun there transition to FBS; and I'd assume if they are not eligible for the playoffs they don't count towards the required 6 teams. Tomorrow morning we are suppose to learn the details of Lamar's move to the Southland, if it occurs before the Fall 2022 season, the WAC can definitely kiss the auto-bid goodbye.

From what I understand, Sam Houston is not eligible for the playoffs.

lionsrking2
April 7th, 2022, 10:21 PM
With Lamar coming back, it's likely a signal that the Southland will rebrand under another name. My understanding is that rebranding and renaming was a condition for Lamar to return. If so, does it constitute a new league? My sources argue that it does, and if so, the Southland's concessions to McNeese could become null and void or at least require another vote by membership. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

FormerPokeCenter
April 8th, 2022, 01:14 AM
Even with Lamar back in the fold, the SLC lives or dies based on what McNeese does....so....if the Southland wants to reneg, its reprieve could be very short lived, regardless of any rebranding iterations...I doubt the new Commissioner's going to go that route. He's trying to build a conference identity. Starting his tenure by reverting to the sort of behaviour that prompted the concessions in the first place doesn't seem like a real smart thing to do, and the new guys seems smart....

Libertine
April 8th, 2022, 08:22 AM

This is not correct. Yes, Sam is ineligible for the FCS playoffs because they now offer more than the allowed number of scholarships but, since they are still technically a conference member, their membership still counts toward the conference autobid requirements.

acbearkat
April 8th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Moving back to the Southland is a great move for Lamar, especially in travel costs. I wouldn't be surprised to see SFA reevaluate whether or not they want to stay in the WAC. It would make sense for SFA to move back for travel cost purposes, especially with gas prices as high as they are. These athletic departments aren't like Texas and Oklahoma, who are flush with cash due to TV contracts and bowl game payouts, and that needs to be taken into account when it comes to these decisions.

KPSUL
April 8th, 2022, 09:57 AM
This is not correct. Yes, Sam is ineligible for the FCS playoffs because they now offer more than the allowed number of scholarships but, since they are still technically a conference member, their membership still counts toward the conference autobid requirements.
Thanks

McCowboys
April 8th, 2022, 11:44 AM
https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1512461854345502723

McCowboys
April 8th, 2022, 11:46 AM
https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1512463881188298759

McCowboys
April 8th, 2022, 12:21 PM
No surprise. This has been rumored for a while. SEMO is rumored to be next, and possibly Tennessee State—and starting to hear rumblings of SFA again, but not buying it.

The Lamar President said something in his remarks at the press conference that I know you (and Nicholls and UNO fans) can relate to. He said (and this is from Lamar's geographical location, I'm sure) that the farthest SLC school is closer than the second closest WAC school is. He repeated that for effect.

As far as travel/travel costs these days with the high price of gas and just the agonizing travel on I-10, I think most SLC members are happy to trade Lamar for UIW.

lionsrking2
April 8th, 2022, 12:46 PM
The Lamar President said something in his remarks at the press conference that I know you (and Nicholls and UNO fans) can relate to. He said (and this is from Lamar's geographical location, I'm sure) that the farthest SLC school is closer than the second closest WAC school is. He repeated that for effect.

As far as travel/travel costs these days with the high price of gas and just the agonizing travel on I-10, I think most SLC members are happy to trade Lamar for UIW.
Yes, we can relate. When traveling from Hammond to Carbondale, Illinois is a far more enjoyable and easier drive than Hammond to San Antonio, it’s a problem.

McCowboys
April 8th, 2022, 12:53 PM
Yes, we can relate. When traveling from Hammond to Carbondale, Illinois is a far more enjoyable and easier drive than Hammond to San Antonio, it’s a problem.

I understand. Even the trek from Lake Charles to Houston/Katy comes with possible headaches. During the SLC basketball tournament, the McNeese women's team left LC around noon with the intent to reach Katy before 4 PM, have a shoot-around, dinner, etc. Well, there was some accident on the interstate and they did not arrive in the Houston area until 7 PM and all there plans were shot.

The commissioner's comments today indicate he is really looking to keep the Louisiana/Texas footprint. I surely don't know who that could possibly be.

lionsrking2
April 8th, 2022, 01:01 PM
I understand. Even the trek from Lake Charles to Houston/Katy comes with possible headaches. During the SLC basketball tournament, the McNeese women's team left LC around noon with the intent to reach Katy before 4 PM, have a shoot-around, dinner, etc. Well, there was some accident on the interstate and they did not arrive in the Houston area until 7 PM and all there plans were shot.

The commissioner's comments today indicate he is really looking to keep the Louisiana/Texas footprint. I surely don't know who that could possibly be.
That’s fine as long as it stays like it is now, or if SFA decides to come back. Any expansion west of current footprint is unacceptable to Lions fans.

KPSUL
April 8th, 2022, 02:56 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Is it effective Fall 2022?

lionsrking2
April 8th, 2022, 03:04 PM

McCowboys
April 8th, 2022, 03:46 PM

The Lamar membership in the SLC will begin before July 2023 they said. They have to complete this coming year/sports season in the WAC.

Puddin Tane
April 8th, 2022, 04:32 PM
That’s fine as long as it stays like it is now, or if SFA decides to come back. Any expansion west of current footprint is unacceptable to Lions fans.

i have/ had no desire to go west. We’re back in the bayous where we belong.

McCowboys
April 9th, 2022, 07:04 AM
i have/ had no desire to go west. We’re back in the bayous where we belong.

You had said this from the beginning, Puddin Tane, and I am very happy for you!

SDFS
April 9th, 2022, 09:45 AM
So, the current line-ups for the WAC, Southland and ASUN are:

Football (5/7 in 2024): UIW, SFA, SUU, ACU, Utah Tech* (24-25), Tarleton State* (24-25), UT-Rio Grande* (no later than 2024) - Sam Houston State (leaving to FBS - C-USA July 2023) - still in FCS but no playoffs
Basketball: UVU, UT-A, Cal Baptist, Grand Canyon, Seattle

And Southland is:

Football (6/7 in 2026): Houston Baptist, McNeese, Nicholls State, NWSU, SELU, Lamar, Texas A&M Commerce* (26-27)
Basketball: UNO, Texas A&M CC

And ASUN:
Football (6 after 2022 not sure): Austin Peay, UCA, EKU, KSU, N. Alabama, Jacksonville State (leaving to FBS - C-USAJuly 2023)

Is this right?

katss07
April 9th, 2022, 10:30 AM
Congratulations LU folks, I know you've been asking for this! Wish Sam was going with you. SLC Strong!

lionsrking2
April 10th, 2022, 02:27 AM
https://lionsports.net/news/2022/4/9/football-southeastern-wraps-up-spring-practice.aspx

The Lions wrapped up a productive spring on Saturday with a glorified practice that was labeled a spring game, before about 400 fans. Got a chance to see most of our practices this spring, and saw good growth on both sides of the ball—other than a few injuries to some key personnel, it was probably our best spring since 2013. We have to replace some of the most productive players in school history—including Cole Kelley—but I like the pieces we have returning and the guys we've added through the portal, and early signings.

McCowboys
April 10th, 2022, 06:55 PM
I am glad you were able to enjoy the Lion's practices and spring game, Mr. Lion, and also glad the weather has been good for the most part lately.

McNeese wrapped up with a spring game, but with depleted numbers (especially on the offensive line and secondary) it was also not the typical spring game. It looks like 3 are vying for the starting quarterback role, but Goff has said repeatedly that the starter would not be named until game week. The numbers will be better when the signees arrive in June. I imagine Goff and his assistants know where to look in the portal for help. However, all-in-all, he seemed pleased with the hard work and improvement over the last 3 weeks. Fans who attend practices and the spring game comment on how there is just a different vibe, and returning players on both offense and defense like the new schemes.

There is actually a pretty good thread going on at the GeauxCowboys Facebook page about UIW and SFA. Some think UIW may return, although they have not officially left. The AD of SFA, Ivey who was with the athletic department at McNeese for a while, said a return back to the SLC has not even been discussed. But if Sam, Lamar, and UIW are not in the WAC, SFA will be pretty isolated. Someone said that AD's can be replaced. Anyway, it's good speculation and discussion. I'm just glad that Lamar (that McNeese loves to hate) will be back soon.

lionsrking2
April 10th, 2022, 11:27 PM
I am glad you were able to enjoy the Lion's practices and spring game, Mr. Lion, and also glad the weather has been good for the most part lately.

McNeese wrapped up with a spring game, but with depleted numbers (especially on the offensive line and secondary) it was also not the typical spring game. It looks like 3 are vying for the starting quarterback role, but Goff has said repeatedly that the starter would not be named until game week. The numbers will be better when the signees arrive in June. I imagine Goff and his assistants know where to look in the portal for help. However, all-in-all, he seemed pleased with the hard work and improvement over the last 3 weeks. Fans who attend practices and the spring game comment on how there is just a different vibe, and returning players on both offense and defense like the new schemes.

There is actually a pretty good thread going on at the GeauxCowboys Facebook page about UIW and SFA. Some think UIW may return, although they have not officially left. The AD of SFA, Ivey who was with the athletic department at McNeese for a while, said a return back to the SLC has not even been discussed. But if Sam, Lamar, and UIW are not in the WAC, SFA will be pretty isolated. Someone said that AD's can be replaced. Anyway, it's good speculation and discussion. I'm just glad that Lamar (that McNeese loves to hate) will be back soon.

You guys will be fine—Gary Goff will do a great job. It's been 17-18 years since he was in Hammond but he was a good dude and a good young assistant coach. Amazing how time flies and watching guys grow into head coaching jobs.

Our QB job is technically open, but Cephus Johnson had a great spring and is the heavy favorite. That said, Colby Suits has eight starts under his belt at ULM, and made a big push over the last week, plus had a good spring game. We have a deep QB group.

I haven't heard anything regarding UIW staying, but if SFA were to reverse course, I could see it. If that happens, I could also see a domino scenario where ACU comes back and Tarleton comes over. It would suck from our perspective, travel-wise, but long term, the league would have a chance to emerge in a position of strength at the FCS level. We shall see.

Puddin Tane
April 11th, 2022, 01:47 AM

ULM? Maybe they will drop down. Yeah, far fetched, but they are turrible

lionsrking2
April 11th, 2022, 01:54 AM
ULM? Maybe they will drop down. Yeah, far fetched, but they are turrible

ULM should reclassify to FCS but highly doubtful. UNO is exploring adding football. It's never been a real possibility in the past but hearing there may be more meat on the bones this time around.

McCowboys
April 11th, 2022, 06:43 AM
You guys will be fine—Gary Goff will do a great job. It's been 17-18 years since he was in Hammond but he was a good dude and a good young assistant coach. Amazing how time flies and watching guys grow into head coaching jobs.

Our QB job is technically open, but Cephus Johnson had a great spring and is the heavy favorite. That said, Colby Suits has eight starts under his belt at ULM, and made a big push over the last week, plus had a good spring game. We have a deep QB group.

I haven't heard anything regarding UIW staying, but if SFA were to reverse course, I could see it. If that happens, I could also see a domino scenario where ACU comes back and Tarleton comes over. It would suck from our perspective, travel-wise, but long term, the league would have a chance to emerge in a position of strength at the FCS level. We shall see.

I'm feeling blue. I'm ready for football now!!! Yes, Goff is just what the Cowboys needed after all it's been through. He is really down-to-earth and very open and outgoing, plus he is very organized and detailed, and brought a great staff with him. Can't wait until the Cowboys host the Lions in the hole this fall!

Jim Gazzolo, a free-lance reporter for the Lake Charles American Press & others posted this on Facebook: SFA parted ways with its President today. It was a new president that led to the change at Lamar so one never knows.

lionsrking2
April 11th, 2022, 12:59 PM
And, as expected …

https://twitter.com/southlandsports/status/1513547427999068167?s=21&t=J90i8rKOWy14PPdxyj1ekg

- - - Updated - - -

And, as expected …

https://twitter.com/southlandsports/status/1513547427999068167?s=21&t=J90i8rKOWy14PPdxyj1ekg

McCowboys
April 11th, 2022, 01:14 PM
https://www.southland.org/news/2022/4/11/general-southland-conference-and-troika-media-group-announce-2022-rebrand.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1513547427999068167

katss07
April 11th, 2022, 01:21 PM
https://www.southland.org/news/2022/4/11/general-southland-conference-and-troika-media-group-announce-2022-rebrand.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1513547427999068167

I said it on Twitter, I think “Gulf Star” would be cool. Nicholls, NWST and Southeastern were all part of the old Gulf Star, and if SFA were to ever return, they were too. Ironically enough, it was headquartered in Lake Chuck. It’s been dead for a good 30 years now, why not bring at back at the D1 level?

I think it would be a marketable and historical name to return to, especially if the conference plans of grabbing some OVC schools.

FormerPokeCenter
April 11th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Based on keywords, I sense an impending wokefulness in the new brand name....not that there's anything wrong with that...it'll just be interesting to see what they come up with...Freedom Conference, perhaps?

And Nicholls? Get ready to revive your Comrad mascot ;)

Puddin Tane
April 11th, 2022, 05:00 PM
I said it on Twitter, I think “Gulf Star” would be cool. Nicholls, NWST and Southeastern were all part of the old Gulf Star, and if SFA were to ever return, they were too. Ironically enough, it was headquartered in Lake Chuck. It’s been dead for a good 30 years now, why not bring at back at the D1 level?

I think it would be a marketable and historical name to return to, especially if the conference plans of grabbing some OVC schools.

sounds like an oil tanker

whats wrong with Southland?

FormerPokeCenter
April 11th, 2022, 05:18 PM
The press release specifically referenced a new logo that's uniting and inspiring....I'm going to guess that the name Southland probably has some objectionable racial connotations, given the footprijnt.....If the conference goes woke, I'm guessing that Nicholls is gonna hafta rebrand soon, too....just scattershot riffing....

acbearkat
April 11th, 2022, 05:42 PM
The press release specifically referenced a new logo that's uniting and inspiring....I'm going to guess that the name Southland probably has some objectionable racial connotations, given the footprijnt.....If the conference goes woke, I'm guessing that Nicholls is gonna hafta rebrand soon, too....just scattershot riffing....

Objectional racial connotations? Are you referring to “Sweet Home Alabama”? I may be 31, but I’m familiar with Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Daytripper
April 11th, 2022, 06:41 PM
Congratulations LU folks, I know you've been asking for this! Wish Sam was going with you. SLC Strong!

Live in the now. Those who refuse ride the wave of change inevitably end up miserably swimming against the current.

katss07
April 11th, 2022, 09:53 PM
sounds like an oil tanker

whats wrong with Southland?
nothing, I love the name

apparently the league office doesn't feel the same

- - - Updated - - -

Live in the now. Those who refuse ride the wave of change inevitably end up miserably swimming against the current.
yeah yeah yeah, I get it and I'm with it but I still prefer the way things were

katss07
April 11th, 2022, 10:01 PM
Based on keywords, I sense an impending wokefulness in the new brand name....not that there's anything wrong with that...it'll just be interesting to see what they come up with...Freedom Conference, perhaps?

And Nicholls? Get ready to revive your Comrad mascot ;)
Comrad??

https://thepushpole.com/2015/06/05/nicholls-mascot-embraces-inner-nazi/

McNeese72
April 12th, 2022, 10:01 AM

Well, if you really want to go "retro" just name it the Gulf States Conference. ;)

Doc

ElCid
April 12th, 2022, 10:10 AM
I should have jumped into this thread sooner. Just heard about Lamar when I was updating the FCS map last night. Talk about buyers and/or sellers remorse.

Daytripper
April 12th, 2022, 12:33 PM
I should have jumped into this thread sooner. Just heard about Lamar when I was updating the FCS map last night. Talk about buyers and/or sellers remorse.

It's a dog eat dog world out there. I know a that the other 3 of the Texas 4 are pissed at Sam Houston for jumping to FBS. It really screwed up the entire WAC plan. But, each institution has to look out for their own best interest. Like in government, business and most every other aspect of society these days...loyalty means very little and can cause you to get left behind..

FormerPokeCenter
April 12th, 2022, 01:31 PM
I think you're down to the Texas Two now.....

katss07
April 12th, 2022, 03:53 PM
I think you're down to the Texas Two now.....
I'll be curious to see how long that lasts before someone else inevitably bolts

Puddin Tane
April 15th, 2022, 03:40 PM

no biggie. We entered the transfer portal!

bonarae
April 18th, 2022, 10:11 PM
Gulf Star? Have I missed out on anything? There was indeed one instance that as late as 1985, that name was used as a conference name.

lionsrking2
April 19th, 2022, 12:05 AM
Gulf Star? Have I missed out on anything? There was indeed one instance that as late as 1985, that name was used as a conference name.

That is correct. We were were in it, along with Nicholls, Northwestern State, Sam Houston, SFA, and SW Texas State (Texas State). It it disbanded when we dropped football after the 1985 season.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2022, 12:13 PM
That is correct. We were were in it, along with Nicholls, Northwestern State, Sam Houston, SFA, and SW Texas State (Texas State). It it disbanded when we dropped football after the 1985 season.

LK2, why did you drop football in 1985?

lionsrking2
April 19th, 2022, 02:11 PM
LK2, why did you drop football in 1985?

Because we had an idiot president who was trying to pad his resume by showing he could get tough on athletics. It was during the oil bust of the mid 80's when Louisiana's economy tanked. His rationale was that all Louisiana public institutions but LSU would have to drop football, but we were the only school that did. Of course our enrollment dropped precipitously, only to get bailed out by LSU raising entrance requirements. We did get a new Library for whatever that's worth.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Because we had an idiot president who was trying to pad his resume by showing he could get tough on athletics. It was during the oil bust of the mid 80's when Louisiana's economy tanked. His rationale was that all Louisiana public institutions but LSU would have to drop football, but we were the only school that did. Of course our enrollment dropped precipitously, only to get bailed out by LSU raising entrance requirements. We did get a new Library for whatever that's worth.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. The learning never stops

McCowboys
April 20th, 2022, 07:36 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/THE_KM3/status/1516870330052235266

Former Bearkat is now a Cowboy

This is the second player, one from SJSU in California, who has committed to McNeese. Both in the secondary, so that should tell us something about the Cowboys' needs.

Geaux Pokes!

acbearkat
April 20th, 2022, 07:36 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/farrellportal/status/1516880778063343616

Who? I have no idea who he is.

McCowboys
April 20th, 2022, 07:39 PM
Who? I have no idea who he is.

DB Ke'Shon Murray

katss07
April 20th, 2022, 10:47 PM
Good for Ke'Shon. He's a quality player who seemingly lost the reps he was getting consistently in 2019 once more talent was brought in over the past few years. Partially a product of the staff overhauling the roster, sure, but he proved to be a quality player then and had some good moments during the 2020 season on the way to a championship.

Hope he finds success in Louisiana.

McCowboys
April 21st, 2022, 05:52 AM
Good for Ke'Shon. He's a quality player who seemingly lost the reps he was getting consistently in 2019 once more talent was brought in over the past few years. Partially a product of the staff overhauling the roster, sure, but he proved to be a quality player then and had some good moments during the 2020 season on the way to a championship.

Hope he finds success in Louisiana.

At this point, the McNeese staff is probably happy with any warm body, but it sure helps to find someone with experience and with winning in his resume'. It is also good to get a good kid who values education, and the staff does seem to be going after players of good character and who have academic success.

What is going on with the Bearkat program? Are they filling up the roster to the maximum allowed by FBS or adding numbers slowly? Like McNeese and everyone else, the portal is full of potential.

McCowboys
April 21st, 2022, 08:45 AM
According to Keith Zembower (Zem's Gems), May 1st is the deadline to enter the transfer portal. His daily blog today (Thursday, April 21) is mostly about the portal, transfers, and the coaches around the country:
https://zemsgems.wordpress.com/

McCowboys
April 22nd, 2022, 06:30 PM
https://twitter.com/coreyaj34/status/1517587942788763654?fbclid=IwAR2cVwEcC2UJUac1WunWE OCv3N-lgNlT3-d1Y5DDO1ukiEI5gz4hmGtNjKA

McCowboys
April 22nd, 2022, 06:32 PM
McNeese's pressbox is coming down. See post above: New scoreboards are on the way.

Daytripper
April 22nd, 2022, 10:28 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/THE_KM3/status/1516870330052235266

Former Bearkat is now a Cowboy

This is the second player, one from SJSU in California, who has committed to McNeese. Both in the secondary, so that should tell us something about the Cowboys' needs.

Geaux Pokes!

I wish him success. Everybody has their own journey.

McCowboys
April 24th, 2022, 11:47 AM
YouTube Poke Nation program (30 minutes), hosted by Jim Gazzolo and McNeese AD Heath Schroyer with special guest Cowboy Head Coach Gary Goff. The first few minutes the hosts talk about Lamar and its impending return to the SLC and where the SLC stands at the moment. Goff discusses how the spring went and what's ahead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flOpFhuYNQY

lionsrking2
April 25th, 2022, 09:27 PM
Hasn't been announced publicly but select boosters have received invitations for a scheduled announcement on May 11 to unveil plans for SLU's new Athletics Training and Athletics Facility. Funding has been greenlit and should be a game-changer for us, facility-wise, and will vault us into the 21st century. We'll get the details then, but rumor is we're gutting/remodeling the present building and adding on, extending out to the south end zone, which should more than double the current square footage. We're also getting a new video board which will be relocated to the north end zone to accommodate the new facility. Exciting times ahead.

McCowboys
April 26th, 2022, 06:42 AM
Hasn't been announced publicly but select boosters have received invitations for a scheduled announcement on May 11 to unveil plans for SLU's new Athletics Training and Athletics Facility. Funding has been greenlit and should be a game-changer for us, facility-wise, and will vault us into the 21st century. We'll get the details then, but rumor is we're gutting/remodeling the present building and adding on, extending out to the south end zone, which should more than double the current square footage. We're also getting a new video board which will be relocated to the north end zone to accommodate the new facility. Exciting times ahead.

Very exciting news!

Daytripper
April 26th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Congratulations! I will be following your progress, and that of my other former Southland running buddies.

FormerPokeCenter
April 26th, 2022, 11:01 AM
Congratulations! I will be following your progress, and that of my other former Southland running buddies.

Any timetable for expanding your seating capacity???

Daytripper
April 26th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Any timetable for expanding your seating capacity???

Nothing specific, but there are some weird things happening that makes us think that a big announcement is forthcoming. The main thing that lead some to believe this is that 1. The administration has been very quiet with regards to move-to-fbs upgrades. I figure that if they were just doing minor stuff, they would announce it quickly and move on... 2. Season tickets are not even available yet. Usually, by this point they would have already been promoting the upcoming season. It makes me think (hope?) that the two will be announced together in a big splashy way. Mainly, this is based in our faith in our new president, Dr. White. She came over from Austin Peay and had a great reputation as a supporter of athletics. Will will see, I guess.

katss07
April 26th, 2022, 04:40 PM
The LAST thing Bowers Stadium needs is more seating.

Daytripper
April 26th, 2022, 05:00 PM
The LAST thing Bowers Stadium needs is more seating.

I agree. But, whether it makes sense or we like it or not, the move to FBS will require more seating.

katss07
April 26th, 2022, 05:16 PM
I agree. But, whether it makes sense or we like it or not, the move to FBS will require more seating.
Is this really the case? Bowers has hosted north of 15k fans before, on multiple occasions I believe. Simply include potential berm/grass seating and bump that capacity up to the requirement. That's not really much of a stretch anyways, fans sit on the grass. Adding capacity would be a huge waste of money that could go to actually improving the nonexistent fan experience.

Daytripper
April 28th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Is this really the case? Bowers has hosted north of 15k fans before, on multiple occasions I believe. Simply include potential berm/grass seating and bump that capacity up to the requirement. That's not really much of a stretch anyways, fans sit on the grass. Adding capacity would be a huge waste of money that could go to actually improving the nonexistent fan experience.

You won't get an argument from me.

McCowboys
May 2nd, 2022, 07:06 AM
From Matt Brown's "Extra Points Today" about UIW:

FormerPokeCenter
May 2nd, 2022, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't mind having them back at all....I wish TAMU-Kingsville would move up, or - in the alternative - combine athletic teams with TAMU-CC. I'd love to see that, actually. Despite having Blue and Gold McNeese blood, I have deep family ties to the Sisters of The Incarnate Word....and....TAMU-Kingsville/TAMU-CC...

katss07
May 2nd, 2022, 12:58 PM
A UIW return would solidify the SLC's place above the WAC in terms of FCS conference rankings IMO

brocal
May 2nd, 2022, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't mind having them back at all....I wish TAMU-Kingsville would move up, or - in the alternative - combine athletic teams with TAMU-CC. I'd love to see that, actually. Despite having Blue and Gold McNeese blood, I have deep family ties to the Sisters of The Incarnate Word....and....TAMU-Kingsville/TAMU-CC...

Unfortunately, Kingsville is closer to dropping to D3 or dropping the entire football program than they are moving up to D1. The administration has killed that program.

Utgrizfan
May 4th, 2022, 12:10 AM
A UIW return would solidify the SLC's place above the WAC in terms of FCS conference rankings IMO

Well at that point the WAC would only have 5 then eventually 6 teams: SUU, UT-Tech, SFA, ACU, Tarleton State, UTRGV
So it's a no brainer the Southland would be better off. This could cause a ripple effect of other teams leaving which I hope doesn't happen, the Big Sky is bloated as is.

lionsrking2
May 4th, 2022, 03:26 AM

Don't want them back. Too far and a brutal trip across I-10.

Daytripper
May 4th, 2022, 06:15 AM

But the food in San Antonio....!

brocal
May 4th, 2022, 10:29 AM

This.

lionsrking2
May 4th, 2022, 11:26 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Puddin Tane
May 5th, 2022, 05:18 PM

that fricking parking lot bridge in Baton Rouge…

katss07
May 5th, 2022, 07:01 PM
I just drove from San Antonio to New Orleans in March and it took me about nine and a half hours or so. If those are your eastern and westernmost schools, you're looking pretty good geographically. That's much more geographically compact than most leagues nowadays. Besides is Commerce that much closer to Hammond compared to San Antonio?

Think about what SFA is going to be dealing with travel wise in the WAC. Aside from Tarleton and UTA, no school is within five hours of them. I miss the small footprint of the SLC. The definition of a regional conference. Still hate the way this went down.

katss07
May 5th, 2022, 07:07 PM
Well at that point the WAC would only have 5 then eventually 6 teams: SUU, UT-Tech, SFA, ACU, Tarleton State, UTRGV
So it's a no brainer the Southland would be better off. This could cause a ripple effect of other teams leaving which I hope doesn't happen, the Big Sky is bloated as is.
I think you'll still find some SFA, Tarleton and ACU fans who would argue the WAC is a better conference. I'd assume if UIW moves back in with the Southland, they'd have no option but to add a D2 school and nudge UTRGV along. Pretty poor conference. /

lionsrking2
May 5th, 2022, 07:59 PM
I just drove from San Antonio to New Orleans in March and it took me about nine and a half hours or so. If those are your eastern and westernmost schools, you're looking pretty good geographically. That's much more geographically compact than most leagues nowadays. Besides is Commerce that much closer to Hammond compared to San Antonio?

Think about what SFA is going to be dealing with travel wise in the WAC. Aside from Tarleton and UTA, no school is within five hours of them. I miss the small footprint of the SLC. The definition of a regional conference. Still hate the way this went down.
From a mileage standpoint, It should take 7-8 hours, max, to drive from Hammond to San Antonio and it has taken 10-11 hours the last several times I’ve driven it. It’s an HORRENDOUS drive and I drive all over the south for a living. If you made it from SA to NO in 9.5 hours, you had extremely optimal conditions. That said, in 9.5 hours or less, and in more relaxed fashion, I can drive from Hammond to Jacksonville, FL and nearly to Tampa. I can drive to Knoxville, Nashville, Clarksville, Chattanooga, Carbondale, Ill. Cape Girardeau, St. Louis, Atlanta, Macon and many other FCS destinations to our north and east. I would rather drive to all of those places, even losing an hour, than drive to San Antonio. IT. IS. AWFUL.