PDA

View Full Version : Most Shocking Blowout You’ve Watched

acbearkat
May 29th, 2021, 09:12 AM
This applies to any level of college football, not just the FCS. Mine is last year’s Texas/Kansas State game, which Texas won in a shocking 69-31 blowout. At one point, it was 45-31 in the third quarter. As a Texas fan, after the game, my reaction was “What did I just watch?” Stopping the run in that game was optional, as Texas ran for 334 yards, and Kansas State ran for 274.

At the FCS level, it was the Incarnate Word/Nicholls game this spring. At one point in the second quarter, Nicholls was up 27-24, and then the floodgates opened and at one point Nicholls was ahead 68-24. Nicholls won, 75-45. That game went from shootout to blowout in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting Bull
May 29th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Interesting, key word shocking I think.

For me, it would be 1974 and the annual closing match up with Richmond. W&M was limping into the game with a 3-7 record. Richmond had a solid team, not sure their record though they had battled for the lead in the Southern Conference with East Carolina.

The backdrop was against a discussion at W&M at the time on whether to drop football. There was a a small but vocal group that believed W&M would be better pursuing prominence in basketball and felt football being eliminated would help that cause. Just prior to the Richmond game, the W&M Board of Visitors voted to maintain the program and work to provide the added resources needed to build a winning program. This was all about 8 years before the split 1A to 1AA.

The vote was a huge lift to the team who had been playing under this cloud of discussion for most of the season. The Tribe came into City Stadium in Richmond a decisive underdog though absolutely rolled, 54-12. It was truly shocking and was a great example how emotion can be such a primary factor in a game.

POD Knows
May 29th, 2021, 09:50 AM
SIU beating NDSU this year 38-14 and the game wasn't that close. NDSU got physically manhandled and that doesn't happen very often.

dewey
May 29th, 2021, 09:58 AM
SIU beating NDSU this year 38-14 and the game wasn't that close. NDSU got physically manhandled and that doesn't happen very often.

Completely agree with you on the SIU vs NDSU game.

Dewey

mmiller_34
May 29th, 2021, 10:38 AM
This one. I was at the game. We had 3rd strings in during the 3rd quarter. Basically any play we ran went for chunk yardage and/or a TD. UAPB was downright awful. They didn’t come to play a football game and basically after we were up 2 scores everyone on their team looked like they quit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210529/d65c66050177fdef0629aa7a69af9c1c.jpg

JacksFan40
May 29th, 2021, 11:01 AM
This one. I was at the game. We had 3rd strings in during the 3rd quarter. Basically any play we ran went for chunk yardage and/or a TD. UAPB was downright awful. They didn’t come to play a football game and basically after we were up 2 scores everyone on their team looked like they quit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210529/d65c66050177fdef0629aa7a69af9c1c.jpg

I remember people claiming we ran up the score on them and were bad sports, despite the fact that we were calling the most basic plays with guys who had never seen the field until that point.

JacksFan40
May 29th, 2021, 11:02 AM
One that surprised me though was when Portland State absolutely slaughtered North Texas 66-7 a few years ago. Portland was good that year, but that was still insane.

Daytripper
May 29th, 2021, 11:57 AM
This season Sam Houston beating Nicholls 71-17. Just wasn't expecting that at all.

Panther88
May 29th, 2021, 12:03 PM
I was part of the voting proxy to rescind all athletic scholarships in all sports at PVAMU spr' 1990. Immediately after returning football to the school w/ 0 scholarships fall 1991, the 92-0 beating our football team took at the hands of Alabama St Univ.

I sat through all 4 quarters until 00:00 4th quarter so I would never forget how I felt and use the inherent hatred I have as fuel to again rally the troops to right our ship and return us to prominence. Of 80 consecutive losses, I sat through 58 of those. Exactly 30 years later, we arguably have one of the top 3 FCS athletic/football stadium venues in the state of Texas and offer the maximum 63 football scholarships on a sprawling pristine campus.

That '91 season and the next 9 taught us that athletic scholarships for football are required in order to compete at the then i-aa level as we set that 80-game losing record attempting to compete against 60+ football athletic scholarship teams with our 0 for 5 years and then initial offering of 15 and then increase to 30 by year 10.

We have a sh8t list of sorts for payback.

NY Crusader 2010
May 29th, 2021, 12:05 PM
One that surprised me though was when Portland State absolutely slaughtered North Texas 66-7 a few years ago. Portland was good that year, but that was still insane.

I believe this game ended up being the biggest FCS over FBS blowout ever. North Texas has gotten a lot better since that very low point. Northeastern beat Ohio U. 31-0 in 2002 or 2003 when they had some really good teams.

But, to answer the question posed in the thread, in 2007 we traveled to Bethlehem to face Lehigh. The year prior, they beat us in a downpour in Worcester on Family Weekend, 21-7 IIRC. In absolutely fantastic late September/early October weather, we posted the biggest margin of victory for a visiting opponent at Goodman Stadium winning 59-10. This was a game that, coming into the day, was expected to have title implications.

More recently, our 52-17 defeat of New Hampshire in Worcester equaled this in terms of "shock value". Two weeks prior, our offense sputtered in the second half and we blew a 20-7 lead against UCONN. The UNH win put us at 2-1 and vaulted us into the Top 25 for the first time since September 2010. Unfortunately, this Holy Cross team would go into an epic tailspin, highlighted by a last second loss to Dartmouth on a blocked PAT, a 10-7 homecoming loss to a bad Lafayette team, a 48-36 home loss to Monmouth that was not nearly as close as the score indicated and finally a 32-0 shellacking at Yale which culminated in the firing of Tom Gilmore.

McNeese75
May 29th, 2021, 12:18 PM
McNeese dismantling USF in Tampa 52-21 in 2013 was a pleasant surprise.

DFW HOYA
May 29th, 2021, 01:03 PM

How bad was this? Portland St. was paid $425,000 to be the opponent. And it was Homecoming.

Dan McCarney was fired immediately after the game. The athletic director announced it at the post-game press-conference.

katss07
May 29th, 2021, 01:27 PM
2016 Southland Championship against at the time No. 6 UCA. Was a complete route from the beginning. If I remember, SHSU was the underdog at home despite being undefeated. Everyone felt completely disrespected. Then they came out and put up 21 quick points and never looked back against the Bears.

Personally, one of my favorite Sam games and up to that date the biggest win at Sam for Keeler. Bowers was great that day, had a big crowd and I vividly remember the ensuing trophy presentation. A validation moment for the Kats.

Of course, they would be proven fraudulent 3 weeks later in Harrisonburg (the sting of that loss is completely gone now with the recent matchup).

JSUSoutherner
May 29th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Beating SHSU 62-10 in 2015.

NY Crusader 2010
May 29th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Counting games I saw on TV, I watched Army beat Houston 70-7 in a bowl game a few years back-- one of the ones in DFW area I think.

The 2002 Army-Navy game was also a 58-12 blowout win by the Mids when both teams had been really bad year after year for a while. Both entered the game at 1-10 if I recall. Craig Candeto was the Navy QB that game and the following year Navy would kick off a string of bowl-qualifying seasons and an overall run of success that more or less has remained in tact. Army would remain pretty bad until later in the decade and would go on to lose the next 12 or 13 Army-Navy games.

The first national championship game I remember watching, #1 Nebraska put up 62 points against #2 Florida Gators. But if you paid attention to Nebraska football during that time, blowing out any opponent wasn't surprising. Just like Notre Dame getting blown out by any SEC team (or Clemson) in the CFP these days isn't surprising.

dgtw
May 29th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Jax State over Sam Houston 62-10 in the 2015 semifinals.

McNeese72
May 29th, 2021, 04:59 PM
McNeese dismantling USF in Tampa 52-21 in 2013 was a pleasant surprise.

I was going to say that one. Just rechecked the score because I didn't remember exactly what it was. It was 53-21.

Doc

ElCid
May 29th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Probably in 2012, The Citadel at App St. I think it was just after they announced they would be moving up to FBS or the rumor was hot. They had made the playoffs for like 6 years straight before that year and that included 3 National Championships. It was the first conf game for them that season. The third game for each team. We were coming off a 4-7 season the year prior, but we had already beaten GA SO the week prior. Pretty sure everyone thought it was a fluke. We ended up 7-4 and not in the playoffs. They finished the regular season at 8-3 but lost in the first round.

We dominated them in their house. It was 38-7 at half. It was eventually as great as 52-14 before they got a couple late 4th qtr scores. We racked up 618 yards on O including 463 rushing. We held the ball for 38+ minutes. It was a rare thrashing for App St. Very enjoyable to watch. I was dumbfounded.

NY Crusader 2010
May 29th, 2021, 05:15 PM
I was going to say that one. Just rechecked the score because I didn't remember exactly what it was. It was 53-21.

Doc

I believe this game at the time became the biggest FCS-over-FBS blowout ever. Surpassed a couple years later by the Portland State-North Texas massacre.

Professor Chaos
May 29th, 2021, 07:00 PM
2007 NDSU at Central Michigan. To that point NDSU had been a good program trending up towards elite since moving to D1 a few years earlier (they still weren't eligible for the playoffs in 2007). Central Michigan was the 3rd FBS team NDSU had ever played (they beat Ball St and lost to Minnesota - both close games - in 2006). CMU was coming off a MAC title in 2006 and would go on to win the MAC title in 2007 as well. Their QB was Dan LeFevour who would finish that season with 5000 yards of total offense and 46 combined TDs. The Bison absolutely stomped them to the tune of a 44-14 beatdown. Given the ridiculous expectations around the NDSU program this wouldn't be that surprising had it happened over the last 8 years or so but in 2007 it was a different story.

Random fact is that both Antonio Brown (who had a pretty good game) and JJ Watt (who was a TE at that time and barely played) were on that CMU team.

DFW HOYA
May 29th, 2021, 07:15 PM
I believe this game at the time became the biggest FCS-over-FBS blowout ever. Surpassed a couple years later by the Portland State-North Texas massacre.

According to sources, Portland State over North Texas broke the previous FCS over FBS record held by Lehigh, who upset then-major college Pennsylvania 58-0 in 1981. (The Ivies dropped to I-AA in 1982.)

acbearkat
May 29th, 2021, 07:20 PM
I just remembered this. Clemson beat Alabama 44-16 in the FBS national championship game in 2019 in a result that shocked just about everyone.

Agentorange24
May 30th, 2021, 11:00 AM
2011 SHSU vs Montana State, Quaterfinal game ended 49-13. Don’t expect that game after the butt clenching second round game against Stony Brook.

2010 Texas Tech vs 0U, Tech thumped 0U 41-13.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 30th, 2021, 11:39 AM
For Lehigh

Win - 2000 1-AA Playoffs against #6 Western Illinois 37-7. Lehigh completed their second undefeated regular season in 3 years yet were shipped to Maccomb, IL to face Gateway champion WIU. The Leatherneck players openly taunted Lehigh during warmups. That would be the only talking WIU would do the rest of the day. Lehigh took the open kickoff, marched down the field and scored a TD. They dominated for the 3 quarters before showing WIU mercy in the 4th.

If you want to see what Lehigh football was from 1998-2006 watch this! Easily one of the best runs not to end in a national title/title game appearance.

https://youtu.be/XpoBA-hpEog

Loss - 2016 FCS Playoffs against New Hampshire 64-21. Lehigh entered the game as the favorite after reeling off 9 straight mostly dominant wins; many were surprised this game was in Durham. However, Lehigh would be without their QB Nick Shafnisky (PL Offensive POY) and their OC already had a foot out the door on his way to Elon. A motivated Wildcat team came out and took it to Lehigh from the get go. I made the 7 hour drive honestly expecting Lehigh to forth a really big time performance (they were a sleeper semifinal/Frisco pick) only to see them get destroyed. The Mountain Hawk program hasn't been the same since this game imo.

Laker
May 30th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Oct 5, 2019 Mankato's homecoming vs UMD, two time D2 champ. Because of the crowd I couldn't even get to my seat before the Mavs scored on an 80 yard pass to Shane Zylstra on the first play from scrimmage. That was the start of a 52-7 blowout. Needless to say the two teams don't like each other. UMD finished 8-3 which for them is a down year, Mavs finished 2nd in the nation.

ST_Lawson
May 30th, 2021, 05:02 PM
Probably our 2017 game at Coastal Carolina. It was their first year in the FBS and they weren't a great team at that point, but they were still FBS and coming off a 10-2 2016 season as an FCS Independent. We, on the other hand, had finished the previous season 6-5 and, while it looked like we were a bit better, we didn't really have much proof of that yet after only 2 games.

I was expecting a "back-and-forth" game where we stuck in it until the end and hopefully won by a few points...this seemed like the kind of FBS game we'd have a good chance of winning. The 1st quarter was pretty much that, with CCU leading 10-7 going into the 2nd quarter. At that point things got real surprising real fast, as the Leathernecks threw down 42 unanswered points and shut out the Chants the rest of the game to win 52-10.

NY Crusader 2010
May 30th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Was Lehigh over WIU the first ever PL playoff win?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 30th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Was Lehigh over WIU the first ever PL playoff win?

Lehigh's win over Richmond in 1998 was the league's first.

Hood
May 31st, 2021, 03:58 AM
Nicholls coming off the academic sanctions, firing of the coach, revocation of multiple scholarships, and facing an Eastern Washington team with an NFL bound QB, we beat them 37-14. We didn't even have the September humid heat advantage as it was a night game and it rained the entire time on our old gross grass field. Every advantage we could have had pregame was gone and most of us in my section were there just to be supportive after a rough week for the entire program. And then it was a total massacre in our favor, in comparison to what we expected. EWU didn't score until after half time for cripes sakes. And Erik Meyer was THE guy in most FCS hype that year.

I remember cautioning some strangers to not get too full of themselves, EWU is bringing out a presumptive NFL player and we're really short handed. And I wound up looking like a liar (which, great, we won). What's funny is one of those strangers wound up in my office years later and we were talking about college stuff, I thought he looked familiar, and he mentioned the 04 EWU game and said, "Yeah some guy kept telling us about their QB being so great, well he sucked!" Well, that's why he looked familiar. xcoffeex

One that surprised me though was when Portland State absolutely slaughtered North Texas 66-7 a few years ago. Portland was good that year, but that was still insane. Same!

This season Sam Houston beating Nicholls 71-17. Just wasn't expecting that at all. SHSU stomped our butts, left the conference, and didn't have the courtesy to put beer in our fridge on the way out. xdrunkyx I still need a stress 6 pack thinking of that.

McNeese dismantling USF in Tampa 52-21 in 2013 was a pleasant surprise. One of the few times in my life I was rooting for the Pokes.

BEAR
May 31st, 2021, 01:55 PM
Probably for me was the my first road trip to Lake Charles. Both teams were playing well that year and we had to go to The Hole. Yikes! Um, we won 35-0. Doesn’t sound like a blowout but the Bear defense just seemed to know every single play like they were told to them at the line. The hits were so hard that we had one of our players ejected because the lick hit put on a wide receiver looked so hard that it had to be illegal. Cowboy fans sat there amazed. It just didn’t look right the entire game.

bulldog10jw
May 31st, 2021, 03:16 PM
Historical shocking blowout that in retrospect was a good thing for the losing team

On November 28, 1942, Holy Cross beat Boston College in a huge upset 55–12. The game is still the most famous between the two foes, not only for its result (which spoiled BC's undefeated season) but also its aftermath. The Eagles had booked their victory party that night at the popular Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Boston, but canceled after the loss. As a result, they were absent when the club caught fire, killing 492.

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Boston_College%E2%80%93Holy_Cross_football_rivalry

(https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Boston_College%E2%80%93Holy_Cross_football_rivalry )

(https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Boston_College%E2%80%93Holy_Cross_football_rivalry )

KPSUL
May 31st, 2021, 03:25 PM
SDSU @ JMU 2017 Playoff semi-final game. The game was expected to be a close one, but SDSU never could get on track. They turned the ball over 10 time (6 interceptions, 4 fumbles). I've never seen two teams that should have been evenly matched end up with such a lopsided score - JMU won 51-16. I attended this one in person, as well as the SDSU blowout win vs UNH in Brookings SD the weekend prior where SDSU committed 0 turnovers. Strangest one week turn around I believe I've ever witnessed.

KPSUL
May 31st, 2021, 03:29 PM
Historical shocking blowout that in retrospect was a good thing for the losing team

On November 28, 1942, Holy Cross beat Boston College in a huge upset 55–12. The game is still the most famous between the two foes, not only for its result (which spoiled BC's undefeated season) but also its aftermath. The Eagles had booked their victory party that night at the popular Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Boston, but canceled after the loss. As a result, they were absent when the club caught fire, killing 492.

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Boston_College%E2%80%93Holy_Cross_football_rivalry

1942? All bets were off - virtually every healthy, athletic American young man over 18 years old was in the military. Or playing football at West Point.

McNeese75
May 31st, 2021, 06:00 PM
Probably for me was the my first road trip to Lake Charles. Both teams were playing well that year and we had to go to The Hole. Yikes! Um, we won 35-0. Doesn’t sound like a blowout but the Bear defense just seemed to know every single play like they were told to them at the line. The hits were so hard that we had one of our players ejected because the lick hit put on a wide receiver looked so hard that it had to be illegal. Cowboy fans sat there amazed. It just didn’t look right the entire game.

I rather enjoyed the trip to Conway in 2013. We met up with Bear75 and were invited as his guest in the new suites. Facility was top-notch but we did excuse ourselves when the game started to sit with the McNeese fans. Probably a wise move as the Cowboys plowed the Bears 59-28 in a surprise win.

acbearkat
May 31st, 2021, 06:48 PM
SDSU @ JMU 2017 Playoff semi-final game. The game was expected to be a close one, but SDSU never could get on track. They turned the ball over 10 time (6 interceptions, 4 fumbles). I've never seen two teams that should have been evenly matched end up with such a lopsided score - JMU won 51-16. I attended this one in person, as well as the SDSU blowout win vs UNH in Brookings SD the weekend prior where SDSU committed 0 turnovers. Strangest one week turn around I believe I've ever witnessed.

It’s hard to win when you turn the ball over ten times.

Preferred Walk-On
May 31st, 2021, 07:39 PM
One that comes to mind for me was #1 NDSU v. #3? YSU (don't remember exactly which poll, but AGS had YSU @ #2; https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?108999-AGS-POLL-2012-HISTORY&highlight=2012+poll+results). YSU came into the Dome, and after trading scores, it was 41 unanswered by NDSU (https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=322802449 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCiNqB2-7Y). The game was over by halftime. Just really surprised, and this was early in NDSU's run, so it was not like fans had become accustomed to blowouts in the Dome.

The other, for me, is NDSU v. Georgia Southern (1st semifinal meeting). Did not expect such a dominating (35-7) win by NDSU.

Serpentor
May 31st, 2021, 08:35 PM
SHSU stomped our butts, left the conference, and didn't have the courtesy to put beer in our fridge on the way out. xdrunkyx I still need a stress 6 pack thinking of that.

One of the few times in my life I was rooting for the Pokes.

Hey man, this year aside, you guys have been on the rise. The Colonels have a good chance to be running the conference once we leave.

Gil Dobie
May 31st, 2021, 09:00 PM
1981 DII championship game, SW Texas St now Texas State 42-13 win over NDSU.

Serpentor
May 31st, 2021, 09:12 PM
In the FCS, my Bearkats beating the Colonels this year 71-17 seems surreal to me, because Nicholls is a good team in our conference and clearly a program on the rise. Getting destroyed by Jacksonville and JMU was like a dark comedy.

In the FBS, the 2018 and 2019 Ohio State-Michigan games, especially the 2018 matchup. Michigan was supposed to have this devastating once-in-a generation defense, ranked #4 in the nation and was on a media-dubbed "Revenge Tour" to avenge all their losses last year. EVERYBODY picked the Wolverines to win, and the Buckeyes put up 62 points on the Wolverines, the second most points they've EVER given up in program history (a 2010 shootout with Illinois ended 67-65). Michigan scored 39 in the game but anyone who watched it knew it wasn't that close. One TD was a late garbage time goal, and another was on a fluke turnover at the end of the second half. Buckeyes also left plenty of points on the field, at least two more touchdowns.

The next year, Buckeyes went up to the Big House and won by an even larger point differential, which was funny too.

Go Green
June 1st, 2021, 08:47 AM
For Dartmouth, it was probably 1996's 40-0 win over Columbia.

Columbia was good that season (they had Marcellus Wiley) and that game was expected to be the de facto league championship game.

BEAR
June 1st, 2021, 12:17 PM
In the FCS, my Bearkats beating the Colonels this year 71-17 seems surreal to me, because Nicholls is a good team in our conference and clearly a program on the rise. Getting destroyed by Jacksonville and JMU was like a dark comedy.

In the FBS, the 2018 and 2019 Ohio State-Michigan games, especially the 2018 matchup. Michigan was supposed to have this devastating once-in-a generation defense, ranked #4 in the nation and was on a media-dubbed "Revenge Tour" to avenge all their losses last year. EVERYBODY picked the Wolverines to win, and the Buckeyes put up 62 points on the Wolverines, the second most points they've EVER given up in program history (a 2010 shootout with Illinois ended 67-65). Michigan scored 39 in the game but anyone who watched it knew it wasn't that close. One TD was a late garbage time goal, and another was on a fluke turnover at the end of the second half. Buckeyes also left plenty of points on the field, at least two more touchdowns.

The next year, Buckeyes went up to the Big House and won by an even larger point differential, which was funny too.

That one shocked me too. I thought it would be a battle..but nope. Things just unraveled for the Colonels...

Gil Dobie
June 1st, 2021, 12:45 PM
1981 DII championship game, SW Texas St now Texas State 42-13 win over NDSU.

For FCS, it was the first game against Georgia Southern, in Statesboro, 2006. Bison had no problem with the Eagles, winning 34-14. I guess I was expecting more out of the 6 time defending champions after all the crap they talked prior to the game. Early southern speed discussion.

Daytripper
June 1st, 2021, 05:53 PM
For FCS, it was the first game against Georgia Southern, in Statesboro, 2006. Bison had no problem with the Eagles, winning 34-14. I guess I was expecting more out of the 6 time defending champions after all the crap they talked prior to the game. Early southern speed discussion.

Are you implying that it is not a THING? xeyebrowx

ElCid
June 1st, 2021, 07:00 PM

Pretty sure I remember that. That was not shocking at all. Ga So was 3-8 that year in a rebuild year. They also lost at home to Cent Conn the first game of the season.

Chalupa Batman
June 1st, 2021, 08:23 PM

SDSU was a lot like a high-wire act then. They looked damn good when things were going right, especially when they got off to a good start. But if they were bumped off course, things tended to get ugly for them pretty quickly and they could never recover. This last season was the first time I've really seen them handle adversity well. JMU was a real bad matchup for them and I kind of expected an easy win for them, but I was surprised at how bad it got.

Gil Dobie
June 2nd, 2021, 10:00 AM
Pretty sure I remember that. That was not shocking at all. Ga So was 3-8 that year in a rebuild year. They also lost at home to Cent Conn the first game of the season.

Of course if everyone knew Georgia Southern was going to go 3-8 that season, it wouldn't have been surprising. They were 8-4 the previous season, and 2-2 going into the Bison game and 3-3 before losing to #1 App St in 2OT. The Bison game was there biggest blowout loss that year, 20 points at home. At the time it was surprising to me.

CockyGeek
June 2nd, 2021, 02:37 PM
The 62-10 beatdown of SHSU. I thought that was going to be another close game after they beat us the year before. I remember buying plane tickets to Dallas when the game became a runaway.

We couldn't beat SHSU 1/10 times now though.

JALMOND
June 2nd, 2021, 04:37 PM

As much as I wont to claim this game, the thread specifically said a game I watched. I listened to it on the radio, but I couldn't watch it.

The most shocking blowout I witnessed was right after I moved here and some of my Griz friends got me tickets to see Montana play Oregon State in Corvallis in 1996. The Grizzlies won 35-14, but the game was not even that close. That was back when the Beavers were really terrible and the Grizzlies didn't lose a game that year until the championship.

CHIP72
June 2nd, 2021, 08:28 PM
Focusing only on games I've attended, listing in chronological order:

1) 09/24/11: Temple 38 Maryland 7 - the Terrapins came into this game as home favorites at Byrd Stadium, but the Owls absolutely dominated, taking a 31-0 halftime lead and posting a shutout until less than five minutes remained in regulation. Some Maryland fans left the game at halftime.

2) 09/19/15: Princeton 40 Lafayette 7 - though the visiting Tigers were favorites coming in, the game was expected to be close. It wasn't. Princeton thoroughly dominated the Leopards on both sides of the ball and Lafayette didn't do anything on offense until the Tigers had called off the dogs. The final beginning of the end of the Frank Tavani era in Easton can be traced to this game.

3) 11/26/16: Mississippi State 55 Mississippi 20 - though both teams had disappointing seasons, Ole Miss was clear favorites coming into the game and had a chance to finish .500 with a home win over a Bulldogs team that was already guaranteed to finish with a losing record. However, no one told Mississippi State quarterback Nick Fitzgerald that his team wasn't expected to win. Fitzgerald ran for a school record 258 yards, accounting for five touchdowns (3 rushing, 2 passing), and the Bulldogs humbled the Rebels in the Egg Bowl.

4) 12/03/16: Temple 34 Navy 10 - in the American Athletic Conference championship game in Annapolis, Temple crushed Navy's hopes of participating in a New Year's Six bowl game and controlled the game throughout; the Owls led 24-3 at halftime. This game ended up being head coach Matt Rhule's last game as Temple's head coach.

5) 11/17/18: Lehigh 34 Lafayette 3 - the 154th edition of the most played rivalry in college football was considered a toss-up going into the game, but Lafayette's many mistakes allowed the visiting Mountain Hawks to post a shocking blowout.

Bonus edition (NFL):

12/30/95 - Eagles 58 Lions 37 - while both teams finished the regular season 10-6, the visiting Lions were favored because they had won seven straight games to close the season and the Eagles had been unimpressive in compiling their 10-6 record (they had been outscored 338 to 318 on the season despite having four more wins than losses). However, Detroit turned the ball seven times, including two interceptions returned for touchdowns, and Philadelphia was also able to score a touchdown on an end of half Hail Mary pass. After the game was tied 7-7 at the end of the 1st quarter, the Eagles outscored the Lions 31-0 in the 2nd quarter to take a 38-7 halftime lead and led 51-7 by the middle of the 3rd quarter before calling off the dogs. Detroit offensive lineman Lomas Brown predicted a victory before the game, and was serenaded with derisive "Lo-Mas, Lo-Mas" chants throughout the 2nd half.

caribbeanhen
June 3rd, 2021, 08:05 AM
I only expected Portland St to beat Delaware St by 55 but they doubled it

Neil Lomax puts up 105 on the Hornets

NY Crusader 2010
June 3rd, 2021, 10:30 AM
I only expected Portland St to beat Delaware St by 55 but they doubled it

Neil Lomax puts up 105 on the Hornets

Last Division I team to score 100+. Sounds like a really randomly scheduled game.

JayJ79
June 3rd, 2021, 11:58 AM
JFK in Dallas, '63

mmiller_34
June 4th, 2021, 06:51 AM
SDSU was a lot like a high-wire act then. They looked damn good when things were going right, especially when they got off to a good start. But if they were bumped off course, things tended to get ugly for them pretty quickly and they could never recover. This last season was the first time I've really seen them handle adversity well. JMU was a real bad matchup for them and I kind of expected an easy win for them, but I was surprised at how bad it got.

Funny part it was a semi-close game still at halftime.

That game, I have always believed, single-handedly blew Taryn Christion’s NFL chances.