PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Playoff Committee

acbearkat
May 24th, 2021, 11:00 AM
They'll have a much easier time this fall determining who should be in the playoffs, unlike they did just a while ago for the spring season. With everyone playing a full season (hopefully no weather related cancelations), the committee will have an easier time determining who is worthy of being in the playoffs based on the results of the regular season. That was a tough challenge in the spring, and for the most part, I think the committee did a good job.

Libertine
May 24th, 2021, 11:04 AM
You say that now but....

....there's always somebody left heartbroken/pissed off on Selection Sunday.

JSUSoutherner
May 24th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Does the AQ7 get a rep on the committee or do the WAC and ASUN each get one?

Professor Chaos
May 24th, 2021, 11:38 AM
You say that now but....

....there's always somebody left heartbroken/pissed off on Selection Sunday.
Yep, until you put every team in the playoffs someone will get "Woffed" and someone will get "Marty-ed". *KPSUL bat signal*

In fact this spring it was harder than normal IMO to have legit gripes regarding the selection committee's decisions or the polls in general. You have pretty much no measures to compare teams from different conferences and even some teams from the same conference (like JMU and Delaware) were hard to compare with each other since they had no or very few common opponents.

Chalupa Batman
May 24th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Yep, until you put every team in the playoffs someone will get "Woffed" and someone will get "Marty-ed". *KPSUL bat signal*

In fact this spring it was harder than normal IMO to have legit gripes regarding the selection committee's decisions or the polls in general. You have pretty much no measures to compare teams from different conferences and even some teams from the same conference (like JMU and Delaware) were hard to compare with each other since they had no or very few common opponents.

In the few years I’ve been paying close attention to the rest of FCS this spring was by far the least amount of bickering about the bracket. Maybe that had more to do with the fact that everything about the season was so chaotic with cancellations, postponements, withdrawals, etc. that’s we were happy to just to make it to the playoffs and any bracket would’ve looked good.

acbearkat
May 24th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Are they sticking with 16 or going back to 24 teams in the playoffs for the fall?

UAalum72
May 24th, 2021, 12:35 PM
The committee is made up of one member from each Division I conference that receives an automatic qualification to the NCAA Division I Football Championship.

So not those, nor Ivy, SWAC and MEAC

JSUSoutherner
May 24th, 2021, 12:42 PM
The committee is made up of one member from each Division I conference that receives an automatic qualification to the NCAA Division I Football Championship.

So not those, nor Ivy, SWAC and MEAC

The AQ7 should have a rep then. The whole point of the AQ7 is to get an autobid.

Professor Chaos
May 24th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Are they sticking with 16 or going back to 24 teams in the playoffs for the fall?
It'll be back to 24. Without the pandemic creating exceptions it's an NCAA championship rule that a postseason tournament must be at least 50% at large selections. So unless they took away 2-3 autobids (not happening) from the 10 (11 including the AQ7) existing conferences that get them they couldn't stay at 16.

When the WAC and ASUN get going in 2022 we'll be up to 12 autos (assuming the Big South keeps theirs). It'll be interesting to see what happens if another conference split occurs and more than 12 conferences want an autobid... the playoffs would have to expand to accommodate that which I'm sure would upset no one. xrolleyesx

UAalum72
May 24th, 2021, 02:01 PM
Current committee (three members’ terms expire in August)

Chair: Kyle Moats (Sep 2020 - Aug 2021)

Division
Committee Positions
Title
Name & Institution
Conference
Term
Expiration

FCS
AD
Eugene Marshall Jr.
Hampton University
Big South Conference
AUG 2022

FCS
AD
Kent Haslam
University of Montana
Big Sky Conference
AUG 2024*

FCS
Chair, Member
AD
Kyle Moats
Missouri State University
Missouri Valley Football Conference
AUG 2021

FCS
AD
Timothy S. Murray
Marist College
Pioneer Football League
AUG 2021

FCS
AD
William Smith
Bryant University
Northeast Conference
AUG 2021

FCS
AD, Director of Athletics
Ryan Ivey
Stephen F. Austin State University
Southland Conference
AUG 2023

FCS
Scott Carter
East Tennessee State University
Southern Conference
AUG 2022*

FCS
Thorr Bjorn
University of Rhode Island
Colonial Athletic Association
AUG 2022

FCS
Tom Michael
Eastern Illinois University
Ohio Valley Conference
AUG 2024

FCS
AD, Director of Athletics and Recreation
Jermaine Truax
Bucknell University
Patriot League
AUG 2023

McNeese75
May 24th, 2021, 03:21 PM
I am liking the SLC Rep. Ryan is a good guy xnodx Although, he is probaby NOT really representing the Southland xeyebrowx

Katfan
May 24th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Good question. I’m in favor of 2

Katfan
May 24th, 2021, 03:42 PM
I am liking the SLC Rep. Ryan is a good guy xnodx Although, he is probaby NOT really representing the Southland xeyebrowx
Can’t see him staying with SFA not being in the SLC

JayJ79
May 24th, 2021, 03:56 PM
if they only get one AQ, then they should only get one committee member, IMO.
So they should decide amongst themselves whether to place a WAC or an ASUN administrator on the committee. Then if in future years, each conference qualifies for its own AQ, they can add a committee member from the other conference that wasn't represented this year.