PDA

View Full Version : FCS over FBS Scalp Watch 2021

Pages : 1 [2]

katss07
September 4th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Congratulations to Montana and their fans. Regardless of how the rest of the year goes, this will always be an all time win and it was fun to watch. FCS is way more interesting when UM is relevant and in contention.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/washington/.amp/football/painfully-one-sided-uw-montana-series-should-come-to-merciful-end

Funny to look at this article now… wonder if that arrogance is still there?

JacksFan40
September 4th, 2021, 11:56 PM
Congratulations to Montana and their fans. Regardless of how the rest of the year goes, this will always be an all time win and it was fun to watch. FCS is way more interesting when UM is relevant and in contention.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/washington/.amp/football/painfully-one-sided-uw-montana-series-should-come-to-merciful-end

Funny to look at this article now… wonder if that arrogance is still there?
You can tell who has actually played football and who hasn’t when it comes to those articles. That author has likely never even played a game of flag football and yet has the nerve to bash an FCS team. Gotta love the keyboard football experts of the world.

katss07
September 5th, 2021, 12:13 AM
You can tell who has actually played football and who hasn’t when it comes to those articles. That author has likely never even played a game of flag football and yet has the nerve to bash an FCS team. Gotta love the keyboard football experts of the world.
He doesn’t quite seem to understand that Montana has 60+ D1 scholarship athletes, does he.

No gracefulness, integrity or respect for the opponent. The FCS is an “LOL”… until an FCS school beats your team.

The one thing that unites all 128 of us? Beating FBS teams! xdrunkyx

ElCid
September 5th, 2021, 12:56 AM
Congrats to all the Scalpers! Was this a record day? 6? Lots of close calls as well.

bonarae
September 5th, 2021, 01:34 AM
Hawaii may be too much for Portland State. 42-21 Warriors end of Q3.

bonarae
September 5th, 2021, 01:38 AM
Muffed KO return and Portland State scoops it for a TD. 42-28 Warriors, 12 seconds left in Q3

bonarae
September 5th, 2021, 01:57 AM
That essentially ices the game for Hawaii.

49-28, 4:58 left in regulation

dudeitsaid
September 5th, 2021, 02:00 AM
I can't say I have often cheered for the Griz...but this is one of those times I definitely was. Had the game on in my restaurant, and it was awesome to see them beat the Dawgs. What a flipping amazing win for you guys, congrats!

bonarae
September 5th, 2021, 02:21 AM
Garbage time TD for the Vikings.

49-35 Warriors, 1:13 left in regulation

bonarae
September 5th, 2021, 02:28 AM
FINAL from Honolulu: Hawaii 49, Portland State 35

Voting time please...

mvemjsunpx
September 5th, 2021, 04:52 AM
Congrats to all the Scalpers! Was this a record day? 6? Lots of close calls as well.

There were 7 in Week 1 of 2013 (9 if you count wins over FBS transitionals).

NY Crusader 2010
September 5th, 2021, 05:50 AM

The author of this article obviously knows nothing about college football. His editor should be embarrassed for even putting him on that assignment.

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2021, 06:56 AM
MONTANA! xhypedx

Houndawg
September 5th, 2021, 07:21 AM
Man, it would really suck to be the next team that has to play Montana...especially if they are traveling to Washington-Grizzly Stadium to do it...

[checks schedule]

https://i.imgur.com/hZXm08z.jpg

I'd much rather play any team right after they've had a big win than after a loss

Houndawg
September 5th, 2021, 07:23 AM
After this week what all is left for possible scalps?
I know UND has a great chance next week against Utah State, and maybe Illinois State against WMU. Beyond that is there any others?

SIU isn't going to beat Kansas State but it wouldn't surprise me to see them with a lead at some point in the first half

OhioHen
September 5th, 2021, 08:20 AM
FINAL from Honolulu: Hawaii 49, Portland State 35

Voting time please...

Still a pair of Sunday FCS matchups.

Mike296
September 5th, 2021, 09:51 AM
I’m cautiously optimistic about our chances against Ole Miss next week. I know nothing about Ole Miss and it took all four Quarters to beat Chattanooga. I don’t see us winning this one but for some reason I get the feeling some upset may surprise us again next week.

ElCid
September 5th, 2021, 10:09 AM
I’m cautiously optimistic about our chances against Ole Miss next week. I know nothing about Ole Miss and it took all four Quarters to beat Chattanooga. I don’t see us winning this one but for some reason I get the feeling some upset may surprise us again next week.

They play tomorrow tonight. Short week for them so they probably think it in the bag already. A necessary component of most scalps.

Hammerhead
September 5th, 2021, 10:40 AM
It's no different than the announcers for the South Dakota State at Colorado State assuming the Jack would be lucky to not get embarrassed. I don't know how accurate Sagarin is in week one, but he did have SDSU favored by a point or two on the road at CSU.

The author of this article obviously knows nothing about college football. His editor should be embarrassed for even putting him on that assignment.

ElCid
September 5th, 2021, 10:50 AM
It's no different than the announcers for the South Dakota State at Colorado State assuming the Jack would be lucky to not get embarrassed. I don't know how accurate Sagarin is in week one, but he did have SDSU favored by a point or two on the road at CSU.

From first glance, it actually appears that Sagarin is more accurate that Massey "so far." Which is opposite of normal. Massey actually appears totally jacked up. It will correct itself eventually, but something in the way he cyphers his initial numbers took a hit this year while Sagarin wasn't as affected.

ysubigred
September 5th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Looking at next weeks schedule quite a few scalps ripe for the taking.. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Libertine
September 5th, 2021, 11:10 AM
They play tomorrow tonight. Short week for them so they probably think it in the bag already. A necessary component of most scalps.

These Monday games REALLY mess with a team's game week schedule and this is the exact same situation in which JMU knocked off top-5 Virginia Tech a few years back. Monday night game in a neutral location means the players don't get home until the wee hours of Tuesday morning so Monday AND Tuesday are lost days. This leaves Wednesday and Thursday as your only practice days with Thursday being a lighter day anyway. You can do a walkthrough on Friday but no coach in his right mind would have the team strap on pads the day before a game. The result will be an under-rested and under-prepared -- as well as, depending on how they view FCS programs, possibly under-motivated -- team on Saturday. Add in an at least halfway decent opponent and the fact that the head coach is out with COVID at least part of the week and you've got a recipe for disaster in Oxford.

ST_Lawson
September 5th, 2021, 11:23 AM
From first glance, it actually appears that Sagarin is more accurate that Massey "so far." Which is opposite of normal. Massey actually appears totally jacked up. It will correct itself eventually, but something in the way he cyphers his initial numbers took a hit this year while Sagarin wasn't as affected.

I wonder if having the spring FCS season really screwed up his algorithm or something. I also noticed that (at least as of mid-week this last week) not all of this weekend's games were even listed under their respective areas. Like, you'd go here: https://masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/games and some of the FCS vs FBS games weren't showing up (they usually do). So he might be dealing with some glitches or something also. You're right that Massey is usually quite good, but right now it's not quite up to the usual level.

katss07
September 5th, 2021, 11:36 AM
The color commentator in that game was downright stupid. Any time SDSU did anything positive he’d go “you don’t think these boys want to win?!”. Like yeah no **** dude. You’re the one who was writing them off to start the game.

Just goes to show that nobody really does their research before the game, which speaks to how poorly Fox and ESPN’s CFB coverage is.

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2021, 11:37 AM
I'd much rather play any team right after they've had a big win than after a loss

......AGREED DAWGGIE........W. ILLINOIS....MAY SCARE MONTE............GRIZZWOLDS........WILL BE AS FLAT..........AS A TIRE.......INNA BARN FIND......:D....BRAWK!

ElCid
September 5th, 2021, 11:40 AM
Some FCS love.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/etsu-spoils-vandy-coachs-debut-23-3-in-6th-fcs-over-fbs-win

ElCid
September 5th, 2021, 11:44 AM
What you really have to just love is that Vandy has to play Colorado State next week. A couple teams that got scalped. You couldn't have made that up if you tried.

skinny_uncle
September 5th, 2021, 11:56 AM
SIU isn't going to beat Kansas State but it wouldn't surprise me to see them with a lead at some point in the first half

You never know what might happen. With the explosive offense the Dawgs have, they will never be out of a game.

Libertine
September 5th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Holy Cross made UConn's coach quit.

Four years into a second stint at UConn that hasn't gone nearly as well as the first, Randy Edsall announced on Sunday that he will retire at the end of this season.
The announcement comes roughly 24 hours after the Huskies lost to Holy Cross, an FCS program, dropping to 0-2 on the season. Their other loss was 45-0 to Fresno State.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32155638/after-winless-uconn-huskies-loss-fcs-holy-cross-coach-randy-edsall-63-announces-retirement-effective-end-season

crusader11
September 5th, 2021, 03:50 PM
In his Sunday afternoon meeting with the media -- which came after he announced his retirement -- Edsall refused to take questions about his decision to retire, but decided to mention...

https://twitter.com/McFarland_Shawn/status/1434611086431563780

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2021, 03:52 PM
What you really have to just love is that Vandy has to play Colorado State next week. A couple teams that got scalped. You couldn't have made that up if you tried.

Maybe they should call it the Custer Bowl

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2021, 03:53 PM
......AGREED DAWGGIE........W. ILLINOIS....MAY SCARE MONTE............GRIZZWOLDS........WILL BE AS FLAT..........AS A TIRE.......INNA BARN FIND......:D....BRAWK!

It could happen but it doesn't normally. We did after the NDSU game in 2015 but most of the time we retain some sanity. This is going to be a night game at WA Griz. It's normally pretty intense but the night games are notch higher too so I don't know if they will let down.

It does happen though for sure and I would probably be saying the same thing as you and dawg because it is a path to victory when analyzing it in your head.

Libertine
September 5th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Maybe they should call it the Custer Bowl

Ha! That took me a minute. xlolx

ElCid
September 5th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Holy Cross made UConn's coach quit.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32155638/after-winless-uconn-huskies-loss-fcs-holy-cross-coach-randy-edsall-63-announces-retirement-effective-end-season

We have two FBS coaches under our belt.:D Granted one was a temp, but he was being eyed for permanent position.

NY Crusader 2010
September 5th, 2021, 04:55 PM

Vanderbilt also hosts the Northern Connecticut State (aka UCONN) later this year.

ElCid
September 5th, 2021, 05:00 PM
Vanderbilt also hosts the Northern Connecticut State (aka UCONN) later this year.

So at least two of them (Vandy, Col St, and UConn) will be guaranteed a win this year.xlolx

POD Knows
September 5th, 2021, 05:19 PM
So at least two of them (Vandy, Col St, and UConn) will be guaranteed a win this year.xlolxI think Colorado State is a decent football team, those other two suck big time and history supports that. Colorado State will beat Vandy by 20

CHIP72
September 5th, 2021, 07:02 PM
I think Colorado State is a decent football team, those other two suck big time and history supports that. Colorado State will beat Vandy by 20

Yeah, but Colorado State is coached by Steve Addazio, who is really good at doing little with (relatively speaking) a lot.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2021, 08:06 PM
The Griz Den found a pretty good clip. xlolx

https://twitter.com/TheGrizDen37/status/1434561698073956355

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2021, 09:55 PM

.........IN DUH MOST.....UNDER-APPRECIATED FCS PERFORMANCE.....UH WEEK.......N. IOWA'S.....CLOSE ONE.......WHIFF #7 IOWA STATE.........DAT WAS GUTS CLENZ.......DOZEN EGGS....IN DUH MAIL......BRO!

JacksFan40
September 5th, 2021, 11:05 PM
Another fun fact is that Vandy lost to ETSU by 20 and CSU lost to SDSU by 19, meaning CSU lost by one less point. Ironically they also open as one point favorites as of now.

ElCid
September 6th, 2021, 12:37 AM
Another fun fact is that Vandy lost to ETSU by 20 and CSU lost to SDSU by 19, meaning CSU lost by one less point. Ironically they also open as one point favorites as of now.

Vandy just got a new coach. I'm fairly certain he overlooked ETSU with visions of SEC wins. He counted on his P5 players carrying it. He got a rude awakening.

NY Crusader 2010
September 6th, 2021, 06:25 AM
Vandy getting blown out by ETSU, and being held without a touchdown, is definitely multiple times more embarrassing than CSU losing to the FCS national runner-up.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2021, 06:53 AM
Vandy getting blown out by ETSU, and being held without a touchdown, is definitely multiple times more embarrassing than CSU losing to the FCS national runner-up.

ETSU looked like the FBS team in this one, physically dominated Vandy

RB Quay “Call me Johnny“ Holmes is a stud

POD Knows
September 6th, 2021, 08:42 AM
Oh, big time, plus they are SEC, they are an SEC doormat but SEC nonetheless, CSU is just a middle of the road MWC team. Exponentially more embarrassing.

Reign of Terrier
September 6th, 2021, 09:33 AM
Vandy looked *really* bad. As someone said, they looked like the FCS team. Their defense didn't play awful (basically only gave up 13 points), but their offense looked so lost.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 6th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Holy Cross vs UConn

Every so often, 5-10 years, a legitimately good PL team catches a bad FBS team at the perfect time. This game has that feel. The Crusaders should be a preseason Top 15 team imo while UConn is one of the 10-20 worst FBS programs/teams in the country.

The Huskies snuck past Holy Cross 27-20 in 2017...

Just realized this was the second post of this thread...back on May 22nd....

Daytripper
September 6th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Just realized this was the second post of this thread...back on May 22nd....

Show off. xsmiley_wix

CHIP72
September 6th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Show off. xsmiley_wix

Nah - anyone who has seen Connecticut play in person or on TV in recent years (I raise my hand) knows the Huskies are REALLY bad.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Vandy looked *really* bad. As someone said, they looked like the FCS team. Their defense didn't play awful (basically only gave up 13 points), but their offense looked so lost.

hey learn some manners

JayJ79
September 6th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Usually I scoff at these FCS vs FBS threads
why the scoffing?
sure, the FBS teams usually win, and sometimes they are blowouts. But that can be said about "regular" games too.
FCS vs FBS games are often competitive (at least for the first half, sometimes the deeper roster that comes with having 22 more schollies takes over later in the games), and I find that fun to watch.
And while I can't personally attest to the actual athlete experience, I bet many of the players love the opportunity to play in these games.
Plus, the paycheck for the FCS program helps too.

Maybe it is different if you're a fan of a team that never manages a competitive game against an FBS team...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 6th, 2021, 09:29 PM
Anyone know any 1-A/FBS coaches who resigned/were fired in-season (within a couple days) after losing to a FCS team? Edsall and Dan McCarney at North Texas are the recent ones...there has to be others....

acbearkat
September 6th, 2021, 09:30 PM
Anyone know 1-A/FBS coaches who resigned in-season (within a couple days) after losing to a FCS team? Edsall and Dan McCarney at North Texas are the recent ones...there has to be others....

Mike Locksley was fired at New Mexico after losing to Sam Houston in 2011. He should have been fired earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 6th, 2021, 10:25 PM
Anyone know any 1-A/FBS coaches who resigned/were fired in-season (within a couple days) after losing to a FCS team? Edsall and Dan McCarney at North Texas are the recent ones...there has to be others....

1992 Jack Crowe, Arkansas coach, after losing to The Citadel; fired the next day.

2015 Shawn Elliott, South Carolina, after losing to The Citadel; he was appointed interim coach after Spurrier quit mid season; granted, he wasn't immediately canned and he wasn't permanent, but he didn't get the job and I think he had visions of pulling a Dabo. Dabo was an interim coach at first as well. In any event, another coach was hired after the Clemson game the following week...which they actually almost won.

So I like to think we got 2 SEC coaches fired.:D

Bisonoline
September 6th, 2021, 10:29 PM
1992 Jack Crowe, Arkansas coach, after losing to The Citadel; fired the next day.

2015 Shawn Elliott, South Carolina, after losing to The Citadel; he was appointed interim coach after Spurrier quit mid season; granted, he wasn't immediately canned and he wasn't permanent, but he didn't get the job and I think he had visions of pulling a Dabo. Dabo was an interim coach at first as well. In any event, another coach was hired after the Clemson game the following week...which they actually almost won.

I was at that game.

ElCid
September 6th, 2021, 10:33 PM
I was at that game.

Heard it was rainy and muddy. Yes?

Bisonoline
September 6th, 2021, 10:44 PM
Heard it was rainy and muddy. Yes?

Not that I can remember. I think it was a nice day.

ElCid
September 6th, 2021, 10:46 PM

Good luck, they just dismantled Louisville at a neutral site. But you never know, especially with a short week.

acbearkat
September 7th, 2021, 06:22 AM
I think the next scalp opportunity is Incarnate Word vs. Texas State. Granted, the Incarnate Word defense is terrible.

Libertine
September 7th, 2021, 07:19 AM

That's the one that immediately came to my mind.

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2021, 08:40 AM

..........KEEP LOSIN'.......ADD YER COACH.....TA LIST....AWK!

ElCid
September 7th, 2021, 08:44 AM
..........KEEP LOSIN'.......ADD YER COACH.....TA LIST....AWK!

???

Well, yeah. But that goes for any coach. This was specifically in regard to FBS coaches being fired after losing to FCS teams.

Sitting Bull
September 7th, 2021, 08:51 AM
Odd but I think Duquesne is the only FCS program opening their season with two consecutive games at FBS opponents.

1st attempt was a 45-3 loss at TCU last Saturday. Looking at the recap, the teams agreed to a shortened 2nd half, 12 minute quarters, after TCU built a 35-0 lead. The Dukes head coach cited a thin line-up which makes you wonder then why schedule the game in the first place. Likely a nice paycheck which looking at the facilities and attendance history at Duquesne, you can understand.

The only other shortened game I can remember is ODUs game at UNC during their initial year FBS. They just ended the game with 5 minutes or more left. I think the Tar Heels had 80 some points.

This week the Dukes have at least a bus ride, playing at Ohio U.

Wish them the best. Its good for FCS to have a school like Duquesne competing.

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2021, 09:14 AM
???

Well, yeah. But that goes for any coach. This was specifically in regard to FBS coaches being fired after losing to FCS teams.

......WAS JES' POKIN' ATCHA....xsighx....AWK!

acbearkat
September 7th, 2021, 09:25 AM
It looks like the best chance for an FCS win over an FBS opponent this weekend is North Dakota against Utah State.

ysubigred
September 7th, 2021, 09:31 AM
It looks like the best chance for an FCS win over an FBS opponent this weekend is North Dakota against Utah State.

I wouldn't over look SIU!!

Libertine
September 7th, 2021, 10:29 AM
This week I have my eye on three:

ISUr @ Western Michigan - ISUr is solid and Western Mitch is not
Hampton @ Old Dominion - ODU is terrible, just terrible; as in, UConn/UMass terrible
Gardner-Webb @ Charlotte - if G-W can actually convert an extra point, they have a puncher's chance against a 49ers team that's still celebrating the Duke win

Also, if you're a betting person, I would take the +points with Austin Peay @ Ole Miss but probably stay away from the moneyline.

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2021, 10:33 AM
....HOW'S 'BOUT.......VMI/KENT STATE.......GOLDEN FLASHES....RANKED 111 OUTTAH 130 BAH LINDY'S......BRAWK!

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2021, 10:43 AM
I think VMI has a really good chance at beating Kent State, relative to your typical FCS baseline.

If so, it'll have to be a track meet: I'm very suspicious of VMI's defense. They weren't spectacular in the Spring and they lost some good players. The Keydets were fine against Davidson, but that's always a hard thing to evaluate: Davidson is good for a non-scholarship team, but they're still a non-scholarship team. The Wildcats also ran for 260 yards on 57 carries. That's not great for the VMI defense.

It's possible that, if Davidson didn't have two key turnovers in the first quarter (putting them down 21-0 in the first quarter), that game could have been more competitive. Of course, if ifs and buts were candy nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. We'll have to wait and see on the Keydet D.

JacksFan40
September 7th, 2021, 10:43 AM
After how K-State manhandled Stanford I’d say it’s a long shot. SIU will probably keep it close for the first half but K-State will pull away after that. I’d imagine Klieman will have K-State ready considering he has first hand experience of FCS teams taking down FBS teams.

ElCid
September 7th, 2021, 10:56 AM
I really don't see anyone sneaking up on an FBS this week. The storm flags are out and they should at least be prepared mentally. Plus it's the second game of the season. Crazy stuff happens week 1. FBS coaches are probably concentrating a little bit more on not getting scalped this week as well. Maybe ISUr @ Western Michigan has a good chance. Maybe ND, SELA, and VMI have the next best chance. I'm going to say we get only one, maybe two this week.

Libertine
September 7th, 2021, 11:09 AM
I really don't see anyone sneaking up on an FBS this week. The storm flags are out and they should at least be prepared mentally. Plus it's the second game of the season. Crazy stuff happens week 1. FBS coaches are probably concentrating a little bit more on not getting scalped this week as well.

True, 8 months of prep time + first game jitters tends to equal unusual results. Still, I wouldn't count on FBS teams being laser-focused on the scalp games this week. Looking at schedules, it's a little crazy how many FBS teams are playing FCS schools this week and playing against top 25 opponents or conference opener games next week.

ElCid
September 7th, 2021, 11:12 AM
True, 8 months of prep time + first game jitters tends to equal unusual results. Still, I wouldn't count on FBS teams being laser-focused on the scalp games this week. Looking at schedules, it's a little crazy how many FBS teams are playing FCS schools this week and playing against top 25 opponents or conference opener games next week.

Yeah, I get it. But it sorts the good coaches from the not so good coaches. The good ones find the preparation balance needed each week.

Mike296
September 7th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I get it. But it sorts the good coaches from the not so good coaches. The good ones find the preparation balance needed each week.

I did say I didn’t think we’d win but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was close due to the short week. We generally don’t do well against FBS teams anyway so I’m not holding my breath.

JALMOND
September 7th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Odd but I think Duquesne is the only FCS program opening their season with two consecutive games at FBS opponents.

1st attempt was a 45-3 loss at TCU last Saturday. Looking at the recap, the teams agreed to a shortened 2nd half, 12 minute quarters, after TCU built a 35-0 lead. The Dukes head coach cited a thin line-up which makes you wonder then why schedule the game in the first place. Likely a nice paycheck which looking at the facilities and attendance history at Duquesne, you can understand.

The only other shortened game I can remember is ODUs game at UNC during their initial year FBS. They just ended the game with 5 minutes or more left. I think the Tar Heels had 80 some points.

This week the Dukes have at least a bus ride, playing at Ohio U.

Wish them the best. Its good for FCS to have a school like Duquesne competing.

Portland State opened against Hawaii and this week will play at Washington State. Similar to Duquesne, the Vikings will be riding the bus to Pullman. Viks usually play two FBS teams every year.

NY Crusader 2010
September 7th, 2021, 11:50 AM
I like VMI.

Daytripper
September 7th, 2021, 12:38 PM
I really don't see anyone sneaking up on an FBS this week. The storm flags are out and they should at least be prepared mentally. Plus it's the second game of the season. Crazy stuff happens week 1. FBS coaches are probably concentrating a little bit more on not getting scalped this week as well. Maybe ISUr @ Western Michigan has a good chance. Maybe ND, SELA, and VMI have the next best chance. I'm going to say we get only one, maybe two this week.

My FCS over FBS upset special this week is SFA taking down Texas Tech. Not sure why...just a gut feeling.

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Only if K-State overlooks them because they are too full of themselves after beating Stanford.

JayJ79
September 7th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Looking at the recap, the teams agreed to a shortened 2nd half, 12 minute quarters, after TCU built a 35-0 lead. The Dukes head coach cited a thin line-up which makes you wonder then why schedule the game in the first place.
perhaps when the game was scheduled, it wasn't an issue, but became one in the time since. And if Duquesne still got paid for the game, and TCU still got to count it as a win, then shortening the game doesn't really matter much.

JacksFan40
September 7th, 2021, 10:33 PM
I think UND will beat Utah State simply because I think UND is the better team, like how SDSU was just flat out better than CSU. It won’t be a blow out like the SDSU-CSU game, but I think UND will pull it off. VMI could as well, but Kent State did keep it close with TAMU for a half so that’s something to think about.

ElCid
September 7th, 2021, 11:09 PM
I think UND will beat Utah State simply because I think UND is the better team, like how SDSU was just flat out better than CSU. It won’t be a blow out like the SDSU-CSU game, but I think UND will pull it off. VMI could as well, but Kent State did keep it close with TAMU for a half so that’s something to think about.

I agree. But there are very few flat out unbalanced matchups with the FCS favored over an FBS. Otherwise, it almost always comes down to the ball bouncing favorably, the FCS team team playing lights out, and the FBS team playing in a daze due to the perceived competition. SDSU was a perfect example of a better team winning (and they were actually favored). I didn't watch the game, but I am pretty sure Montana is not better than Washington. I still think they are a very good team ( I have them at #3), but they profited from the other reasons. That is not to take away from their victory, and they were the better team that day for sure. I could say the same of our team when we beat Ga Tech a couple years ago. We played lights out, mostly, the ball bounced our way, and they underestimated us. But they were a better team overall. It's hard to get all those stars to align to pull out those underdog victories due to depth mostly, but a general difference, albeit sometimes slight, in overall skill and abilities as well. But it sure is fun when any FCS teams pulls it out. I think UND can win and VMI, and SELA, and ISUr, but I am not sure any are actually better overall than their FBS opponents. ND is closest of those teams in the spread at around 6 and the computers all have it from 7-10.

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2021, 07:50 AM
I agree. But there are very few flat out unbalanced matchups with the FCS favored over an FBS. Otherwise, it almost always comes down to the ball bouncing favorably, the FCS team team playing lights out, and the FBS team playing in a daze due to the perceived competition. SDSU was a perfect example of a better team winning (and they were actually favored). I didn't watch the game, but I am pretty sure Montana is not better than Washington. I still think they are a very good team ( I have them at #3), but they profited from the other reasons. That is not to take away from their victory, and they were the better team that day for sure. I could say the same of our team when we beat Ga Tech a couple years ago. We played lights out, mostly, the ball bounced our way, and they underestimated us. But they were a better team overall. It's hard to get all those stars to align to pull out those underdog victories due to depth mostly, but a general difference, albeit sometimes slight, in overall skill and abilities as well. But it sure is fun when any FCS teams pulls it out. I think UND can win and VMI, and SELA, and ISUr, but I am not sure any are actually better overall than their FBS opponents. ND is closest of those teams in the spread at around 6 and the computers all have it from 7-10.
I may (or may not) be missing your point here, but, tbh, I just wanna make my point & your post seemed relevant enough to quote in that endeavor…

So…I watched ETSU beat Vanderbilt on replay last night. There is no question that ETSU is a better Football Team than Vanderbilt. They dominated both sides of the LOS. They have more Team speed, better RB’s, WR’s & DB’s, are much more physical, play with more passion, and are better Coached.

Yep, they looked exactly like the ETSU Team that beat SoCon Champ, VMI, and lost in hard-fought, physical contests to Mercer & Furman last Spring. They also edged SoCon contender, Samford, in another war last Spring. SoCon 2021 favorite, ChattaQuitta, ducked the Bucs last Spring, so we don’t quite know how those Teams might/might’ve match up, but FUBeAR is willing to bet it would have been bloody & hotly contested.

ETSU > SEC Team AND ETSU +/- OR = ~5 other SoCon Teams. Keep that in mind as these 6 Teams, along with perennial Playoff Team, Wofford, slug it out in the SoCon this Fall. Records may not end up ‘pretty,’ but there are some really, really good Football Teams in the SoCon in 2021.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2021, 08:26 AM
I may (or may not) be missing your point here, but, tbh, I just wanna make my point & your post seemed relevant enough to quote in that endeavor…

So…I watched ETSU beat Vanderbilt on replay last night. There is no question that ETSU is a better Football Team than Vanderbilt. They dominated both sides of the LOS. They have more Team speed, better RB’s, WR’s & DB’s, are much more physical, play with more passion, and are better Coached.

Yep, they looked exactly like the ETSU Team that beat SoCon Champ, VMI, and lost in hard-fought, physical contests to Mercer & Furman last Spring. They also edged SoCon contender, Samford, in another war last Spring. SoCon 2021 favorite, ChattaQuitta, ducked the Bucs last Spring, so we don’t quite know how those Teams might/might’ve match up, but FUBeAR is willing to bet it would have been bloody & hotly contested.

ETSU > SEC Team AND ETSU +/- OR = ~5 other SoCon Teams. Keep that in mind as these 6 Teams, along with perennial Playoff Team, Wofford, slug it out in the SoCon this Fall. Records may not end up ‘pretty,’ but there are some really, really good Football Teams in the SoCon in 2021.

Yep. One cannot really take anything away from that ETSU win. I mean, yeah, Vandy is awful. But ETSU looked like they were in mid-season form. Maybe this is just me, but I also don't think we know ETSU's ceiling as program right now. Yeah, they won a share of the conference title in 2018. Honestly, they were a touch lucky and caught lightning in a bottle (but that's going to happen when you have a bunch of seniors on your team), but it still counts. In 2019 they slightly regressed back to the mean and then 2020 happened. It's not crazy to think that this is the best post-revival ETSU team, and they don't even have to win the conference now at this point to prove it. And they will compete for it.

Also, ETSU and UTC are rivals, so my money's on the Bucs in that matchup.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Only if K-State overlooks them because they are too full of themselves after beating Stanford.

A Klieman coached team rarely if ever, overlooks a team. If anything, they over-respect a team and then crush their hopes and dreams slowly. What I wouldn't give to have him back at NDSU with Messingham as our OC.

acbearkat
September 8th, 2021, 08:49 AM

Is Southern Illinois going to be able to stop Deuce Vaughn, who gashed Texas last year for 125 yards on just 10 carries? I don't think so. Both run defenses in that game were terrible, in what turned out to be a 69-31 unexpected Texas blowout victory. The two teams combined to run the football 79 times for a combined 608 yards, for about 7.7 yards per carry.

JALMOND
September 8th, 2021, 04:11 PM
I'm still not convinced that Portland State will get a win this weekend, but things I am hearing from Washington State keeps teasing me. I'm not entirely sold on getting the scalp, but I'd say it has gone from not likely to maybe. Here's an example (no one at Wazzu is happy), courtesy Jeff Nusser, cougcenter.com.

https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2021/9/6/22659823/the-monday-after-wsu-cougars-vs-utah-state-aggies

bonarae
September 9th, 2021, 02:55 AM
How many scalps will we get this weekend? More than one hand again perhaps?

JacksFan40
September 9th, 2021, 09:04 AM
I'm still not convinced that Portland State will get a win this weekend, but things I am hearing from Washington State keeps teasing me. I'm not entirely sold on getting the scalp, but I'd say it has gone from not likely to maybe. Here's an example (no one at Wazzu is happy), courtesy Jeff Nusser, cougcenter.com.

https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2021/9/6/22659823/the-monday-after-wsu-cougars-vs-utah-state-aggies
Washington State has gone down the gutter since Leach packed his bags for the SEC. This game resembles USD vs Kansas from last week. PSU might win not because they are good, but because Wazzu is probably the worst PAC-12 team by a country mile.

JALMOND
September 9th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Washington State has gone down the gutter since Leach packed his bags for the SEC. This game resembles USD vs Kansas from last week. PSU might win not because they are good, but because Wazzu is probably the worst PAC-12 team by a country mile.

True. Rolovich is not making any friends in Pullman and may not last the season. I'd say half the Big Sky teams could beat Wazzu right now. Whether the Vikings are one of those teams, we will find out Saturday.

ElCid
September 10th, 2021, 10:10 PM
Best move this to the first page since ND just went two scores and looks way better so far. Scalp alert is on high.

dewey
September 10th, 2021, 10:58 PM
A Klieman coached team rarely if ever, overlooks a team. If anything, they over-respect a team and then crush their hopes and dreams slowly. What I wouldn't give to have him back at NDSU with Messingham as our OC.

I certainly wish we had Courtney Messingham as our OC again.

Dewey

POD Knows
September 11th, 2021, 08:11 AM
Best move this to the first page since ND just went two scores and looks way better so far. Scalp alert is on high.They got their asses handed to them. Utah State might be pretty decent. Over 600 yards of total offense By Utah State.

mmiller_34
September 11th, 2021, 08:18 AM
They got their asses handed to them. Utah State might be pretty decent. Over 600 yards of total offense By Utah State.

Just looked at the box score. UND couldn't stop Utah State at all. Also --- UND had 3 different players throw TDs in the first quarter? Wtf was that all about?

POD Knows
September 11th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Just looked at the box score. UND couldn't stop Utah State at all. Also --- UND had 3 different players throw TDs in the first quarter? Wtf was that all about?
Boltmann is a WR so it must have been some kind of flea flicker and the other guy is a QB, I don't know, maybe he is their Wildcat guy that threw a pass or something, I was curiuos about that as well.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2021, 09:02 AM
They got their asses handed to them. Utah State might be pretty decent. Over 600 yards of total offense By Utah State.

Was that Utah State or Dixie St.... lots of southern speed on display

MR. CHICKEN
September 11th, 2021, 09:05 AM
....GAME WAS ON CBSSN........AH SAW FIRST & THIRD TD PASSES......AS AH SWITCHED FROM PHILLIES/KANSAS/UND.......WILDKAT QB DID THROW UH SHORT TD PASS......BRAWK!

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2021, 09:35 AM

Their first TD was a similar play to the "Philly Special" that the Eagles pulled out in the Super Bowl a few years back.

bonarae
September 11th, 2021, 12:23 PM
The first halves of FCS-FBS games so far this week do not look good for the FCS at large. Maybe a primetime game can give us the scalps that we deserve.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Looks like all Wounded Knee, no Little Big Horn this weekend.

Chalupa Batman
September 11th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Duquesne just found the end zone to take the lead over Ohio. 18-13 with 9:41 left in the 3rd.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Duquesne just found the end zone to take the lead over Ohio. 18-13 with 9:41 left in the 3rd.

End of 3Q and Dukes have the ball.

ysubigred
September 11th, 2021, 03:45 PM
End of 3Q and Dukes have the ball.25-13 Dukes.. scalp appears to be heading to the bread drawer..

ysubigred
September 11th, 2021, 03:56 PM
Murray St Racers 7 - #7 Cincinnati 7 half..

This would be the whole head not just a lowly scalp..

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2021, 04:11 PM
Murray St Racers 7 - #7 Cincinnati 7 half..

This would be the whole head not just a lowly scalp..

They might end up getting their Big 12 invite rescinded.

ElCid
September 11th, 2021, 04:28 PM
Duquesne almost got robbed. But looks its a done deal. Good Job.

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2021, 04:33 PM
Congrats Dukes!

Chalupa Batman
September 11th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Way to go Dukes!

ysubigred
September 11th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Congrats Dukes!Glad they're not on the schedule.. [emoji19]

Way to go Dukes..

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2021, 04:36 PM
I wish we played a MAC school instead of MSU to be honest, but its not the end of the world. Our budget needs these money games and it was a good payout so.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 11th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Helluva win for Duquesne!

These certainly are not Solich's Bobcats...

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2021, 04:57 PM
#NECFB

Hopefully this provides the league a little more respect in the FCS ranks.

ysubigred
September 11th, 2021, 05:35 PM
They might end up getting their Big 12 invite rescinded.Looks like Cincinnati took the band out and put the football team back in.. 35-7 Cincy..

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2021, 05:47 PM
Looks like Cincinnati took the band out and put the football team back in.. 35-7 Cincy..

Shook off the B12 invite hangover, realized they still actually had to play the games.

skinny_uncle
September 11th, 2021, 07:35 PM
Pick 6 gives the Dawgs the lead!
SIU 23 Kansas State 21.

dewey
September 11th, 2021, 07:50 PM
Pick 6 gives the Dawgs the lead!
SIU 23 Kansas State 21.

Kudos to SIU for not rolling over and coming back to take the lead at the break.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 11th, 2021, 07:52 PM
K-State would be a quality scalp and make me cringe a bit. I've always liked the Wildcats. They and Northwestern rose from the ashes around the same time. I gravitated towards both when I was a kid.....

dewey
September 11th, 2021, 09:02 PM
K-State would be a quality scalp and make me cringe a bit. I've always liked the Wildcats. They and Northwestern rose from the ashes around the same time. I gravitated towards both when I was a kid.....

I cheer for the Wildcats for the obvious NDSU connection.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 11th, 2021, 09:29 PM
Vaughn willed KState to a late TD drive. SIU moving the ball, has a chance with about 40 second left. Need a TD and 2 pt conversion...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 11th, 2021, 09:32 PM
KState with a strip sack! The Wildcats will escape with the win! SIU looked REALLY good imo. Their defense is nasty! I believe the Wildcats are an 8-4 type team and the Salukis stood right with them for 60 minutes. SIU should be a force in FCS so long as they remain healthy...

Serpentor
September 11th, 2021, 09:39 PM
SFA almost pulled out a win against Texas Tech, ending their final drive in the red zone down 6 points with 1 minute left. Four and out and Tech survives.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2021, 09:52 PM
SLU fumbles to end the game, and comes up short 42-45 at La Tech.

TheRevSFA
September 11th, 2021, 09:59 PM
SFA almost pulled out a win against Texas Tech, ending their final drive in the red zone down 6 points with 1 minute left. Four and out and Tech survives.

we should have won that game. ****…

dewey
September 11th, 2021, 10:04 PM
KState with a strip sack! The Wildcats will escape with the win! SIU looked REALLY good imo. Their defense is nasty! I believe the Wildcats are an 8-4 type team and the Salukis stood right with them for 60 minutes. SIU should be a force in FCS so long as they remain healthy...

Agreed. They are a sneaky good FCS team...if they stay healthy.

Dewey

ElCid
September 11th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Holy crap. JSU pulls out the big W at FSU. What a finish winning on a 50 yard TD on the last play! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Jax State with the walk-off scalp of the criminoles!!!

dewey
September 11th, 2021, 10:57 PM
Holy crap. JSU pulls out the big W at FSU. What a finish winning on a 50 yard TD on the last play! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge win for Jacksonville State! Congratulations Gamecocks fans!

Dewey

atthewbon
September 11th, 2021, 10:57 PM
What a play

ysubigred
September 11th, 2021, 11:02 PM
Nice. Way to GO! SCALPED THE SEMINOLES LOL!

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2021, 11:02 PM
Congratulations to JSU!

I'm so confused. This is the same team that lost to UAB last week 31 to 0? The same UAB that lost 56 to 7 to Georgia today?

bonarae
September 11th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Congratulations to JSU!

I'm so confused. This is the same team that lost to UAB last week 31 to 0? The same UAB that lost 56 to 7 to Georgia today?

Yes and Yes xlolx

Inconsistency is the name of the game these days. The Seattle Huskies that the Griz beat were handled by the Wolverines.

Chalupa Batman
September 11th, 2021, 11:05 PM
Congratulations to JSU!

Best part is this means they’ll stay ranked, which means another week of JSUSoutherner bitching about them still being ranked.

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2021, 11:06 PM
I noticed Notre Dame struggled against both Florida State, and Toledo today, barely winning. I'm thinking Notre Dame is overrated now.

ElCid
Best part is this means they’ll stay ranked, which means another week of JSUSoutherner bitching about them still being ranked.

He's been in full sandbag mode for weeks now.

The Yo Show
Either way though, congratulations to JSU that's an awesome win and scalp.

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2021, 11:07 PM
…and won’t be able to fire his favorite Coach for years. How ya gonna fire the guy that beat FSU?

katss07
September 11th, 2021, 11:07 PM
Bring on that John Grass extension

bonarae
September 11th, 2021, 11:08 PM
Planning for Week #3 for the meantime:

Elon at Appalachian State

Tennessee Tech at Tennessee
Florida A&M at USF
Murray State at Bowling Green
Furman at North Carolina State
Alcorn State at South Alabama
Sacramento State at Cal
SEMO at Missouri
Stony Brook at Oregon
UAlbany at Syracuse
Jackson State at ULM
Northern Arizona at Arizona
South Carolina State at New Mexico State
Delaware at Rutgers
Idaho at Oregon State
Long Island University at Miami (Ohio)
Bryant at Akron
UIW at Texas State
Fordham at Florida Atlantic
Grambling State at Houston
Chattanooga at Kentucky

IDK if there will be more coming next week. xprayx

CockyGeek
September 11th, 2021, 11:11 PM
We got the scalp. The brain. The spine. Top five all time win for this program.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 11th, 2021, 11:15 PM
Murray State vs Bowling Green for sure
South Carolina State vs New Mexico State?
Bryant vs Akron?
Florida A&M vs USF?
Furman vs NC State?

Akron, USF, New Mexico State and Bowling Green are all terrible...

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2021, 11:16 PM
I'd like to congratulate Dieon Sanders on leading his team to such a great win over Florida State!

acbearkat
September 11th, 2021, 11:19 PM
I'd like to congratulate Dieon Sanders on leading his team to such a great win over Florida State!

[emoji38]

Serpentor
September 11th, 2021, 11:25 PM

Prime Time probably wants to stomp all over Mike Norvell for causing the most embarrassing thing to happen to his alma mater since this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPSDoWI9LC4

JayJ79
September 12th, 2021, 12:21 AM
Boltmann is a WR so it must have been some kind of flea flicker
that wouldn't be a flea flicker, but anyway...

reminds me of a WR that UNI had about a dozen years ago.
His collegiate career passing stats were 2 completions on 2 attempts for 133 yards and 2 TDs.

Daytripper
September 12th, 2021, 12:43 AM
Congratulations to JSU. As for you JSUSoutherner, sometime talent overcomes bad coaching. Any scalp is a good scalp!

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2021, 12:52 AM
Congratulations to JSU. As for you JSUSoutherner, sometime talent overcomes bad coaching. Any scalp is a good scalp!

Don't get me wrong. I'm over the moon about to opportunity to stick it to FSU. I hate their fans almost as much as Alabama fans.

But the team still has some serious issues and all this really does is make it harder to dump Grass.

apaladin
September 12th, 2021, 12:54 AM
Planning for Week #3 for the meantime:

Elon at Appalachian State

Tennessee Tech at Tennessee
Florida A&M at USF
Murray State at Bowling Green
Furman at North Carolina State
Alcorn State at South Alabama
Sacramento State at Cal
SEMO at Missouri
Stony Brook at Oregon
UAlbany at Syracuse
Jackson State at ULM
Northern Arizona at Arizona
South Carolina State at New Mexico State
Delaware at Rutgers
Idaho at Oregon State
Long Island University at Miami (Ohio)
Bryant at Akron
UIW at Texas State
Fordham at Florida Atlantic
Grambling State at Houston
Chattanooga at Kentucky

IDK if there will be more coming next week. xprayx

One you can mark off this list is the TTU@UT. TTU never got close enough to even try a FG today against Furman and had a total of 122 yds offense. Im thinking they don’t score at UT. xcoffeex

Daytripper
September 12th, 2021, 01:05 AM
My bold prediction that SFA would beat Texas Tech almost (should have) happened. Good job Jacks.

Daytripper
September 12th, 2021, 01:10 AM
My bold prediction that SFA would beat Texas Tech almost (should have) happened. Good job Jacks.

Also, congrats to SLU for making it a game against LA Tech. Damn close!

Mocs123
September 12th, 2021, 07:02 AM
Congrats to ETSU for the win over Vandy last week and JSU for the win over Florida State this week. Those were both big-time wins for your respective programs. (I almost threw up in my mouth after congratulating ETSU and JSU in the same sentence).

dgtw
September 12th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Bring on that John Grass extension

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Seriously, this was amazing. Both teams played terribly. After not showing up against a team that didn’t show up in Athens I had zero hope of even putting up a fight.

We were supposed to go but our trip got canceled at the last minute. (Long story).

jsualumnus
September 12th, 2021, 07:47 AM
I **** myself driving and listening to the win last night. I made people vomit, but who cares… Honestly thought we would have been blown out. I will likely do this again if we get into the playoffs and make it past the 2nd round.

Cocky
September 12th, 2021, 08:25 AM
Dont buy tickets, not sure JSU will make the playoffs.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 12th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Congrats JSU on the scalp and the #1 on ESPN top 10. After the UAB game this one is really a headscratcher.

Houndawg
September 12th, 2021, 08:58 AM
After how K-State manhandled Stanford I’d say it’s a long shot. SIU will probably keep it close for the first half but K-State will pull away after that. I’d imagine Klieman will have K-State ready considering he has first hand experience of FCS teams taking down FBS teams.

Not far from how it played out. SIU went down 21-3 quickly but rallied to take the lead at halftime. That was the brightest spot for the offense and no small accomplishment. The down side was KState kept our explosive plays under wraps and thats usually our strongest suit. The biggest surprise was our defense, something we haven't been known much for since Jerry Kill. KState's o line dominated our DL and rushed for 200 yards, but we did a good job of stopping their explosive plays too as Deuce Vaughn's longest play was 16 yards and he's going to run for 1,000 yards in the Big 12 barring injury.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Congrats JSU on the scalp and the #1 on ESPN top 10. After the UAB game this one is really a headscratcher.

Easy explanation.

Florida State is f***ing terrible.

MR. CHICKEN
September 12th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Dont buy tickets, not sure JSU will make the playoffs.

.......HEY COCKS.......PUT UH SOCK IN IT!.....SANDBAG BULL.....IS GETTIN' OLD.......AWK!

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2021, 09:22 AM
.......HEY COCKS.......PUT UH SOCK IN IT!.....SANDBAG BULL.....IS GETTIN' OLD.......AWK!

You must not watch our games or you would know we aren't sandbagging.

POD Knows
September 12th, 2021, 10:22 AM
You must not watch our games or you would know we aren't sandbagging.
I put you back in my top 25, just because

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 12th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Easy explanation.

Florida State is f***ing terrible.

So UAB would beat FSU easily and Georgia would beat FSU by 80, crazy scores for sure, enjoy the win nonetheless.

caribbeanhen
September 12th, 2021, 11:29 AM

Yep, the Cocks are sliding back in this week

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2021, 11:30 AM
So UAB would beat FSU easily and Georgia would beat FSU by 80, crazy scores for sure, enjoy the win nonetheless.

Yeah basically.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2021, 11:31 AM

Well no one has ever accused you of having opinions based on logic so why start now I guess. Right? :D

Chalupa Batman
September 12th, 2021, 11:42 AM

Just the tip though….

Daytripper
September 12th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Just the tip though….

The tip is probably too much...

Chalupa Batman
September 12th, 2021, 11:46 AM
The tip is probably too much...

The tip is all they have to offer

ysubigred
September 12th, 2021, 11:50 AM
What does this say about Notre Dame and overrated? Should have lost to the Rockets yesterday.

FSU sucks but JSU did the FCS proud [emoji106]

acbearkat
September 12th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Incarnate Word and Jackson State have legitimate chances for scalps this weekend.

caribbeanhen
September 12th, 2021, 02:43 PM
Incarnate Word and Jackson State have legitimate chances for scalps this weekend.

Is Eddie Cicotte playing?

ElCid
September 12th, 2021, 02:59 PM
I think Colorado State is a decent football team, those other two suck big time and history supports that. Colorado State will beat Vandy by 20

Oops.

ElCid
September 12th, 2021, 05:35 PM
So this is hilarious and frankly a bit small of the ACC. I wanted to show my dad the miracle ending of the JSU game. It was scheduled to be shown on the ACC network today from 4-7. I just turned it on to show him the last 30 min and the ACC must have decided it was not what they want to show the world so they changed it to the VaTech game. I already showed him the actual pass on my phone. I wonder if they will get ESPN to delete it from the archive as well. LOL.

POD Knows
September 12th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Oops.Yea, but it was close, CSU should have won, but my post didn't age well.

dgtw
September 12th, 2021, 07:58 PM
Deleted

SpreadTheWord
September 12th, 2021, 08:54 PM

Gosh I hope so. If our defense can get some stops and create turnovers like they did last night then I really like our chances. It would be a huge win for our program.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2021, 09:00 PM

That should get some people very excited.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2021, 09:02 PM
So this is hilarious and frankly a bit small of the ACC. I wanted to show my dad the miracle ending of the JSU game. It was scheduled to be shown on the ACC network today from 4-7. I just turned it on to show him the last 30 min and the ACC must have decided it was not what they want to show the world so they changed it to the VaTech game. I already showed him the actual pass on my phone. I wonder if they will get ESPN to delete it from the archive as well. LOL.

What's funny about the touchdown clip is that prior to and during the play, the score box showed both Florida State and Jacksonville State as having 0-1 records but after the touchdown it showed Florida State as being 1-1 and Jacksonville State as being 0-2. Oops.

(See the video embedded in this article: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-week-2-winners-losers-stats-scores-analysis--170768462/#170768462_6.)

ElCid
September 12th, 2021, 11:03 PM
What's funny about the touchdown clip is that prior to and during the play, the score box showed both Florida State and Jacksonville State as having 0-1 records but after the touchdown it showed Florida State as being 1-1 and Jacksonville State as being 0-2. Oops.

(See the video embedded in this article: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-week-2-winners-losers-stats-scores-analysis--170768462/#170768462_6.)

Good catch! Hilarious. I loved seeing the ESPN buttheads lament how it turned out afterwards. It was too fun to watch. How I hate their FCS trashing arses.

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2021, 09:24 AM
Oops.
Yeah…on this “Oops” that Colorado State would destroy Vandy by 20, but actually lost…

Since SDSU dominated CSU & ETSU dominated Vandy AND Vandy beat CSU…does this mean…

…that ETSU, a Team that lost to both Mercer & Furman only a few months ago, is better than SDSU? If so, what bigger picture implications come with that postulate?

Discuss…

ysubigred
September 13th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Gosh I hope so. If our defense can get some stops and create turnovers like they did last night then I really like our chances. It would be a huge win for our program.

I know you'll score on them.. I was a non believe till I seen it in person!

Go get em!

ElCid
September 13th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Yeah…on this “Oops” that Colorado State would destroy Vandy by 20, but actually lost…

Since SDSU dominated CSU & ETSU dominated Vandy AND Vandy beat CSU…does this mean…

…that ETSU, a Team that lost to both Mercer & Furman only a few months ago, is better than SDSU? If so, what bigger picture implications come with that postulate?

Discuss…

No. At most it just means Vandy and Col St are not very good, although Vandy is apparently a little better. Also that SDSU and ETSU are good teams and better than both Vandy and Col St. At least that day they played them.

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2021, 10:09 AM
No. At most it just means Vandy and Col St are not very good, although Vandy is apparently a little better. Also that SDSU and ETSU are good teams and better than both Vandy and Col St. At least that day they played them.
Yeah? Well, who asked you, anyway?

OhioHen
September 13th, 2021, 10:28 AM
Yeah? Well, who asked you, anyway?

Umm...YOU​ asked him.

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Umm...YOU​ asked him.
Not if he was not gonna say what I wanted him to say, I didn’t!

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2021, 11:08 AM

My hypothesis is that both teams aren't good, but Vandy had the most improvement from week 1 to week 2. Namely, they found a quarterback. They didn't really have one last week.

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2021, 11:21 AM
My hypothesis is that both teams aren't good, but Vandy had the most improvement from week 1 to week 2. Namely, they found a quarterback. They didn't really have one last week.
Objection. Irrelevant. Please strike from the record. Please stay on topic & contain your analysis to discussing why ETSU, Mercer, and Furman are better than SDSU.

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Objection. Irrelevant. Please strike from the record. Please stay on topic & contain your analysis to discussing why ETSU, Mercer, and Furman are better than SDSU.

Well obviously it's because the former three are driving distance from a bojangles

OhioHen
September 13th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Well obviously it's because the former three are driving distance from a bojangles

And thus this thread devolves into a Bojangles vs. Casey's Breakfast Pizza debate.

ysubigred
September 13th, 2021, 12:26 PM
And thus this thread devolves into a Bojangles vs. Casey's Breakfast Pizza debate.

Don't you ever say that again! Chick-fil-A is all you need to know..

Chalupa Batman
September 13th, 2021, 12:31 PM

mmiller_34 should be along shortly. He'll tell you exactly what you want to hear. xthumbsupx

walliver
September 13th, 2021, 12:35 PM

Discuss…

When was the last time Mercer beat Wofford. We are obviously much better than SDSU.

After beating mighty Mercer (obviously better than ETSU and Furman) in the spring, there was no reason to keep on playing, so we stopped. Unfortunately the team showed up for a few more games.

On September 29, 1984, Vanderbilt beat Alabama 30-21. So we are obviously the best in the land.

ysubigred
September 13th, 2021, 12:39 PM
When was the last time Mercer beat Wofford. We are obviously much better than SDSU.

After beating mighty Mercer (obviously better than ETSU and Furman) in the spring, there was no reason to keep on playing, so we stopped. Unfortunately the team showed up for a few more games.

On September 29, 1984, Vanderbilt beat Alabama 30-21. So we are obviously the best in the land.So what you're saying YSU is the best since we beat Marshall 2 out of 3 NC's games?

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2021, 01:03 PM

On September 29, 1984, Vanderbilt beat Alabama 30-21. So we are obviously the best in the land.That’s the spirit!

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Don't you ever say that again! Chick-fil-A is all you need to know..

Chick-fil-A is replacement level breakfast and if you disagree I'll report you to Ursus for a TOS violation

HensRock
September 13th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Chance for another scalp this week: Murray St. at Bowling Green.

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2021, 05:11 PM
So what you're saying YSU is the best since we beat Marshall 2 out of 3 NC's games?

1979 ole Disco Lou Mariani beat YSU twice in the span of 4 weeks

Once at your place and then in the Zia Bowl Div2 National Championship

ysubigred
September 13th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Chick-fil-A is replacement level breakfast and if you disagree I'll report you to Ursus for a TOS violationChicken fil A sucks.. I just couldn't think of something else to say for a popular food stop lol.. I can't afford anymore TOS violation... [emoji1787]

ysubigred
September 13th, 2021, 05:38 PM
1979 ole Disco Lou Mariani beat YSU twice in the span of 4 weeks

Once at your place and then in the Zia Bowl Div2 National ChampionshipYup.. remember that. Two teams YSU gets an ass kicking from no matter what it seems.. Hens and PUNI.. [emoji24]

Daytripper
September 13th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Chicken fil A sucks.. I just couldn't think of something else to say for a popular food stop lol.. I can't afford anymore TOS violation... [emoji1787]

I rarely eat breakfast, but if I'm on the road and in a pinch I will hit up Jack in the Box for their regular tacos. Guilty *uck*** pleasure.

ysubigred
September 13th, 2021, 09:04 PM
I rarely eat breakfast, but if I'm on the road and in a pinch I will hit up Jack in the Box for their regular tacos. Guilty *uck*** pleasure.Oh yeah.. Jack in the box is quite tasty. Never had it till we took my son for his 1st real meal after basic training in San Antonio.. now every chance I get I'll stop in.

JSUSoutherner
September 17th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Chance for another scalp this week: Murray St. at Bowling Green.

Don't look now, but ESPN has Murray State favored in this one by a point.

ElCid
September 18th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Don't look now but Chatty is giving Kentucky a lot of grief. They just went up in the 4th quarter 16-14. Unlikely scalp. Didn't see this happening. Still hasn't but holy crap.

ysubigred
September 18th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Don't look now but Chatty is giving Kentucky a lot of grief. They just went up in the 4th quarter 16-14. Unlikely scalp. Didn't see this happening. Still hasn't but holy crap.YUP.. be interesting next year this is YSUs money game..

Gooooo! Nooga..

ElCid
September 18th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Barring a miracle, Chatty is done. 28-23 1:20 and they are kicking off. Good effort against a tough SEC team. Onsides kick failed.

Serpentor
September 18th, 2021, 09:28 PM
Incarnate Word is less then 3 minutes away from beating Texas State. Up 42-31 late in the 4th.

Serpentor
September 18th, 2021, 09:38 PM
Texas State gets field goal with 58 seconds left. Trying onside kick...

Serpentor
September 18th, 2021, 09:42 PM
UIW gets the recovery. Make that scalp #9

Daytripper
September 18th, 2021, 09:48 PM
UI gets the recovery. Make that scalp #9

Props to the UIW Cardinals. Texas State sucks. Always has, always will.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 18th, 2021, 09:50 PM

I'm pretty sure their lone claim to fame is beating Georgia Southern in the 2005 playoffs. That is an awful football program...

acbearkat
September 18th, 2021, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure their lone claim to fame is beating Georgia Southern in the 2005 playoffs. That is an awful football program...

Texas State had former Texas head coach Tom Herman on that staff. David Bailiff left Texas State for Rice. The Bobcats won a Division II national championship in the 80s.

katss07
September 18th, 2021, 09:57 PM
Bunch of ****ing posers. What a shame that steaming pile of **** gets to play in that palace over in San Marcos. I wouldn’t want them in the WAC to be completely honest. They’d drag down the competitiveness and quality of the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Texas State had former Texas head coach Tom Herman on that staff. David Bailiff left Texas State for Rice. The Bobcats won a Division II national championship in the 80s.

Believe that was Herman’s first job after SHSU

Serpentor
September 18th, 2021, 10:06 PM

The MAC thanks god for Texas State's existence every day so none of their teams can be called the worst in the FBS.

Serpentor
September 18th, 2021, 10:12 PM

From your mouth to God's ears, good sir. Bobcats stink!

Libertine
September 18th, 2021, 11:28 PM
NAU holds a 1-point advantage and the ball at Arizona with 2:00 remaining in the 3rd quarter.

MTfan4life
September 18th, 2021, 11:42 PM
Imagine telling Texas State fans when they moved to the FBS that in 10 years, they'll lose to Incarnate Word. Yes, the Incarnate Word that didn't even have a football program the last time Texas State made the FCS playoffs. What a banner FBS leap they've had! xrotatehx

CockyGeek
September 18th, 2021, 11:45 PM
USA narrowly escapes Alcorn State

MTfan4life
September 18th, 2021, 11:47 PM
NAU holds a 1-point advantage and the ball at Arizona with 2:00 remaining in the 3rd quarter.

The last time NAU got within even 17 points in a final score against Arizona was in 1932.

Bronco
September 18th, 2021, 11:53 PM
Now 21-13 NAU

Go Jacks

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2021, 12:04 AM
Go NAU! Looking forward to seeing the Bison head to Tuscon next September. xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2021, 12:17 AM
Game over! NAU gets the FBS scalp from the Pac-12 Wildcats! Congrats to the Jacks!

EDIT: Big bump for Sam Houston and South Dakota who have wins over NAU so far this fall also.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 19th, 2021, 12:28 AM
Wow! Great win for NAU! An in-state PAC12 scalp! That carries serious weight with fellow "scalpers"....

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2021, 12:31 AM
Hasn't been mentioned yet but props to Incarnate Word for housing their first FBS win in program history over Texas State (really Texas State-San Marcos but let's humor them). With NAU that's 10 wins FBS scalps for FCS teams already wich is the most since 2013 when the FCS notched 16 FBS wins.

Serpentor
September 19th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Game over! NAU gets the FBS scalp from the Pac-12 Wildcats! Congrats to the Jacks!

EDIT: Big bump for Sam Houston and South Dakota who have wins over NAU so far this fall also.

That puts the FCS at 10 this year. Wow, talk about no drop-off between D1 levels.

Serpentor
September 19th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Hasn't been mentioned yet but props to Incarnate Word for housing their first FBS win in program history over Texas State (really Texas State-San Marcos but let's humor them). With NAU that's 10 wins FBS scalps for FCS teams already wich is the most since 2013 when the FCS notched 16 FBS wins.

Sir, you wound me. I mentioned it on the previous page. We all had a laugh at Texas State's inadaquacies as a program.

kdinva
September 19th, 2021, 11:01 AM
....We all had a laugh at Texas State's inadequacies as a program.

Would/could Texas St. Beat UConn and/or UMass? asking for a friend...

Daytripper
September 19th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Would/could Texas St. Beat UConn and/or UMass? asking for a friend...

Probably...because, you know...southern speed.xcoffeex

ElCid
September 19th, 2021, 04:24 PM
That puts the FCS at 10 this year. Wow, talk about no drop-off between D1 levels.

And, we are at four P5 scalps. That ties 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2006. It also ties 1987, but doesn't reach the 5 in 85. But in those two years it gets a little murky back then. Just P5 teams of today, since there was no "P5" then, but still pretty good back then. In any event, it is one of the better showings since 2000.

JacksFan40
September 19th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Looking ahead I don’t see any good opportunities next week for a scalp. After that the FBS vs FCS games get slim until Week 7 when Yale goes to UConn, that’s another great shot at a scalp at UConn’s expense. Two more shots in Week 10 and 11 when Maine and Rhode Island take on UMass in back to back weeks. Not much else beyond that.

dbackjon
September 24th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Wow! Great win for NAU! An in-state PAC12 scalp! That carries serious weight with fellow "scalpers"....

This made my day, week, month!

My only regret I was in California on vacation so missed all the talk show reaction

Ivytalk
September 25th, 2021, 08:33 PM
This made my day, week, month!

My only regret I was in California on vacation so missed all the talk show reaction

California? Mar-a-Lago was full?

kdinva
September 26th, 2021, 05:22 PM
closest game this weekend was ECU 31; Chuck South 28. Just like Va Tech/Richmond, home team didn't come close to the line set. (tech was 28 pt. favorite)

Libertine
September 26th, 2021, 06:07 PM
No FCS-FBS games on the docket this week.

acbearkat
October 14th, 2021, 08:40 AM
There's a chance for a scalp this weekend as Yale plays a terrible UConn team.

JacksFan40
October 14th, 2021, 02:27 PM
There's a chance for a scalp this weekend as Yale plays a terrible UConn team.
It might be an upset if Yale loses.

ElCid
October 14th, 2021, 05:05 PM
It might be an upset if Yale loses.

Sagarin has Yale by 5. Massey has UConn by 5. Don't know the betting line as I don't do betting.

UConn is the worst FBS team in both of these computer rankings. They almost beat Wyoming and Vandy, but nope.

I think Yale will keep it close, and could actually win, but I think UConn will likely pull out all the stops in this game to keep from going winless, in their last likely chance at a victory this year.

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2021, 07:22 PM
Sagarin has Yale by 5. Massey has UConn by 5. Don't know the betting line as I don't do betting.

UConn is the worst FBS team in both of these computer rankings. They almost beat Wyoming and Vandy, but nope.

I think Yale will keep it close, and could actually win, but I think UConn will likely pull out all the stops in this game to keep from going winless, in their last likely chance at a victory this year.

Yale beats em

NY Crusader 2010
October 14th, 2021, 07:55 PM
I have UCONN in OT.

This IS there last reasonable chance for a win.

Yale is OK this year but nothing special IMO. But they are indeed favored against an FBS team.

kdinva
November 6th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Rhode Island 35, UMass 23

CockyGeek
November 6th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Playing UMass is cheating

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Playing UMass is cheating
I mean I'm just hoping at this point that CUSA doesn't add UMass.

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Maine just tore up UMass today 35-10. Would UMass even win a game in the NEC this season?

ST_Lawson
November 13th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Maine just tore up UMass today 35-10. Would UMass even win a game in the NEC this season?

Realistically, they'd probably be top half of the NEC...not at the top of the NEC, but above teams like LIU Post and Wagner. I don't think they'd beat Duquesne.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 13th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Realistically, they'd probably be top half of the NEC...not at the top of the NEC, but above teams like LIU Post and Wagner. I don't think they'd beat Duquesne.

UMass beat UConn by two TDs, so by your logic Central Connecticut beats UConn??? No way!!!

bonarae
November 13th, 2021, 08:45 PM
UMass beat UConn by two TDs, so by your logic Central Connecticut beats UConn??? No way!!!

Neither do I. CCSU is really bad, I mean HBCU bad (Jackson State is an exception.)

ST_Lawson
November 13th, 2021, 09:11 PM

oh sorry...I was thinking about UConn when I made that statement, not UMass. They're both pretty horrible, but UConn is worse.

mvfcfan
November 14th, 2021, 09:05 PM
Charleston Southern is playing at Georgia this weekend. Might be a trap game. xlolx

acbearkat
November 14th, 2021, 09:06 PM
Charleston Southern is playing at Georgia this weekend. Might be a trap game. xlolx

[emoji38]

Chalupa Batman
November 15th, 2021, 08:48 AM

Hey, you never know. A 4-5 Big South team visiting the #1 FBS team in the country is eerily similar to when a 4-5 SOCON team (Citadel) visited #1 FBS Alabama a few years ago, and they were tied at the half! Unfortunately, the second half didn't go quite as well.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401012338

ElCid
November 15th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Hey, you never know. A 4-5 Big South team visiting the #1 FBS team in the country is eerily similar to when a 4-5 SOCON team (Citadel) visited #1 FBS Alabama a few years ago, and they were tied at the half! Unfortunately, the second half didn't go quite as well.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401012338

That was awesome to watch. I was dumbstruck as I watched with my dad. We had 275 yards rushing that game, which wasn't bad. We stuck to our game plan and executed well. Kind of like Samford did this past week. Depth eventually won out both times, but still, always nice to go toe to toe with the best.