PDA

View Full Version : ETSU Fall 2021 Schedule

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
May 20th, 2021, 10:23 PM
ETSU released its fall schedule a few days ago. We lead off against Vandyland in Nashville and then UVA Wise and Delaware State at home before going into conference play. We will be in the fourth year of Randy Sanders' reign in Johnson City and it looks like we bring almost everyone back. I will start my analysis different than seasons past.

Sept. 4 @ Vanderbilt - Vanderbilt kicks off the Clark Lea era against a veteran Buc squad. The Commodores appear to return a senior-laden team. If this was Middle Tennessee State, the Commodores could potentially start the season with a headache on their hands. But they're not and it's not the end of the world if the Bucs lose.
Conclusion - Loss (0-1)
Sept. 11 UVA-Wise - ETSU kicks off their home slate against a D2 not far from there. The Cavaliers had a 1-2 record last spring and a 2-9 record from the previous full season. The Bucs should be able to win this one and win it handily.
Conclusion - Win (1-1)
Sept. 18 Delaware State - ETSU faces off against a first-time opponent from the MEAC. The Hornets had a not so bad season at 2-3, which matched their win total from the previous full season. The Bucs will face a better opponent as opposed to the previous week but I think the Bucs will win this one.
Conclusion - Win (2-1)
Sept. 25 @ Samford - ETSU kicks off the conference slate against a Samford side they beat a few months ago. Samford was one of three conference teams that played seven conference games (VMI and Furman were the other). This has all the makings of a slobberknocker that will go either way.
Conclusion - Lean Win (1-0 SoCon, 3-1)
Oct. 2 Wofford - ETSU gets the first of two opponents who chose not to play the Bucs this past spring. Wofford appears to be on its last legs with Josh Conklin if you believe all the chatter coming out of there. I look for the Bucs to play the Terriers with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders and get their first win vs. Wofford since the team's resurrection.
Conclusion - Win (2-0 SoCon, 4-1)
Oct. 9 The Citadel - ETSU squares off against hopefully a tougher The Citadel side than the one they faced a few months ago. The Bulldogs had a lot of players unavailable for awhile which led to their poor start but recovered quickly. Like Samford, this has all the makings of a slobberknocker that will go either way.
Conclusion - Lean Win (since this is a home game, 3-0 SoCon, 5-1)
Oct. 16 @ Chattaquitta - ETSU faces off against the other team who chose not to play the Bucs this past spring. The Mocs had a great start after their game vs. VMI got cancelled but then they lost to Mercer and shortly folded faster than Jarrett Guaranquitter did vs. Kenturkey a few days later. Like Wofford, I look for the Bucs to play the Mocs with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders and bring the Rail home.
Conclusion - Win (4-0 SoCon, 6-1)
Oct. 23 @ Furman - Furman has been the bane of ETSU's existence since the Bucs returned to the SoCon. Furman also had a great start but since last spring's win vs. ETSU, they lost three straight before their season got cut short (thanks a hell of a lot, Wofford). I think Furman's luck against the Bucs will run out.
Conclusion - Win (5-0 SoCon, 7-1)
Nov. 6 VMI - VMI had a season for the ages last spring, culminating in their first conference title since I still don't know when and first ever playoff bid. VMI got their first win vs. ETSU in a long time in 2019 only to have that win streak short-lived this past spring. With Reese (St)Udinski off to greener pastures at Maryland, VMI has a capable QB in Seth Morgan and should give the Bucs a fight to the finish.
Conclusion - Lean Win (6-0 SoCon, 8-1)
Nov. 13 @ Western Carolina - Since ETSU last played the Catamounts, Western Carolina thought a coaching change was necessary. Enter Kerwin Bell, a certified head coaching stud (see Jacksonville and Valdosta State). Although Bell's resume is impressive (it is), I think the Catamounts are a year to two away from amounting to something.
Conclusion - Win (7-0 SoCon, 9-1)
Nov. 20 Mercer - ETSU will conclude its conference slate against the Bears for the third season in a row. The Bears look much improved from previous seasons but the question is can Drew Cronic overcome a sophomore slump that befell many a SoCon coach over the past several years (raises my hand and says guilty). This game could decide the SoCon champion.
Conclusion - Lean Win (8-0 SoCon, 10-1)

As you can tell, I have ETSU going undefeated in conference play and 10-1 overall. I believe ETSU should be able to win four conference games (minimum). Split the others, ETSU finishes the season at 6-2 and quite possibly a playoff bid. This is based on if you had to ask me today. The biggest threats to ETSU having an undefeated conference season are VMI and Mercer with Samford and The Citadel not far behind. I would not be shocked if Western Carolina surprises a few teams. I don't know about you but I am just not buying the hype around Chattanooga.

FUBeAR
May 21st, 2021, 01:58 AM
\EndThread

bonarae
May 21st, 2021, 03:08 AM
A very optimistic prediction of schedule for the Bucs... 10-1 is a longshot; maybe 7-4 or 8-3 is realistic.

rtzlunar
May 24th, 2021, 12:57 PM
ETSU released its fall schedule a few days ago. We lead off against Vandyland in Nashville and then UVA Wise and Delaware State at home before going into conference play. We will be in the fourth year of Randy Sanders' reign in Johnson City and it looks like we bring almost everyone back. I will start my analysis different than seasons past.

As you can tell, I have ETSU going undefeated in conference play and 10-1 overall. I believe ETSU should be able to win four conference games (minimum). Split the others, ETSU finishes the season at 6-2 and quite possibly a playoff bid. This is based on if you had to ask me today. The biggest threats to ETSU having an undefeated conference season are VMI and Mercer with Samford and The Citadel not far behind. I would not be shocked if Western Carolina surprises a few teams. I don't know about you but I am just not buying the hype around Chattanooga.

Meth is really cheap in Johnson *****ty these days.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 26th, 2022, 07:37 PM
I know it has been several months since the season came to a close. I wanted to do this for awhile but never found the time to do so until now. This is my "let's see how well I did" post.

Sept. 4 @ Vanderbilt - Vanderbilt kicks off the Clark Lea era against a veteran Buc squad. The Commodores appear to return a senior-laden team. If this was Middle Tennessee State, the Commodores could potentially start the season with a headache on their hands. But they're not and it's not the end of the world if the Bucs lose.
Conclusion - Loss (0-1)

Since I made that prediction, part of me really wanted to pick the Bucs to win. I noted an image shortly before the start of the season in a Tennessee fan centric FB group regarding Week 1 upsets and decided to comment ETSU over Vandyland. Not thinking much of it, I noticed a couple of folks on AGS believing in the Bucs but I did not have it in my heart to do so. I followed the game on my phone and the first update I saw on was Vandyland 3, ETSU 0 and I thought OK. The next update I saw was ETSU 10, Vandyland 3 and that was when I posted that update to said FB group. The group started to go bananas as the game went on. It eventually went into pandemonium once the game went final. I am happy the Bucs won and I really dug their chances of winning the SoCon moving forward.

Sept. 11 UVA-Wise - ETSU kicks off their home slate against a D2 not far from there. The Cavaliers had a 1-2 record last spring and a 2-9 record from the previous full season. The Bucs should be able to win this one and win it handily.
Conclusion - Win (1-1)
Sept. 18 Delaware State - ETSU faces off against a first-time opponent from the MEAC. The Hornets had a not so bad season at 2-3, which matched their win total from the previous full season. The Bucs will face a better opponent as opposed to the previous week but I think the Bucs will win this one.
Conclusion - Win (2-1)

They were who I thought they were. Enough said.

Sept. 25 @ Samford - ETSU kicks off the conference slate against a Samford side they beat a few months ago. Samford was one of three conference teams that played seven conference games (VMI and Furman were the other). This has all the makings of a slobberknocker that will go either way.
Conclusion - Lean Win (1-0 SoCon, 3-1)

ETSU played against an inspired Samford side since their most recognizable football alum Bobby Bowden passed away before the season started. I remember seeing Samford dedicate their field to the dearly departed Coach Bowden. I was money on this one becoming a slobberknocker and the Bucs pulling away late.

Oct. 2 Wofford - ETSU gets the first of two opponents who chose not to play the Bucs this past spring. Wofford appears to be on its last legs with Josh Conklin if you believe all the chatter coming out of there. I look for the Bucs to play the Terriers with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders and get their first win vs. Wofford since the team's resurrection.
Conclusion - Win (2-0 SoCon, 4-1)

I did not think Wofford would put up a fight like they did but ETSU got the monkey that was Wofford off their back.

Oct. 9 The Citadel - ETSU squares off against hopefully a tougher The Citadel side than the one they faced a few months ago. The Bulldogs had a lot of players unavailable for awhile which led to their poor start but recovered quickly. Like Samford, this has all the makings of a slobberknocker that will go either way.
Conclusion - Lean Win (since this is a home game, 3-0 SoCon, 5-1)

I was expecting a tougher team than the one who actually made an appearance. This caused to lovingly refer to The Citadel as A Citadel.

Oct. 16 @ Chattaquitta - ETSU faces off against the other team who chose not to play the Bucs this past spring. The Mocs had a great start after their game vs. VMI got cancelled but then they lost to Mercer and shortly folded faster than Jarrett Guaranquitter did vs. Kenturkey a few days later. Like Wofford, I look for the Bucs to play the Mocs with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders and bring the Rail home.
Conclusion - Win (4-0 SoCon, 6-1)

Same comment as the Wofford game except the game was on the road. The NottaQuittas made me a believer after this one and looked to have the SoCon all sewn up until they faced Mercer. All I can say to the Chattanooga fans is I am sorry. I am sorry I doubted your team.

Oct. 23 @ Furman - Furman has been the bane of ETSU's existence since the Bucs returned to the SoCon. Furman also had a great start but since last spring's win vs. ETSU, they lost three straight before their season got cut short (thanks a hell of a lot, Wofford). I think Furman's luck against the Bucs will run out.
Conclusion - Win (5-0 SoCon, 7-1)

FUBeAR and I came to a general agreement that Furman was the bane of ETSU's existence. The game was epic and ETSU scored their first road win vs. Furman since 1997 (the since retired Randy Sanders had more wins vs. Furman than the last two ETSU coaches put together).

Nov. 6 VMI - VMI had a season for the ages last spring, culminating in their first conference title since I still don't know when and first ever playoff bid. VMI got their first win vs. ETSU in a long time in 2019 only to have that win streak short-lived this past spring. With Reese (St)Udinski off to greener pastures at Maryland, VMI has a capable QB in Seth Morgan and should give the Bucs a fight to the finish.
Conclusion - Lean Win (6-0 SoCon, 8-1)

ETSU came out swinging and had VMI on the ropes by halftime. VMI gave the Bucs a fight to the finish until a pair of Keltner FGs salted the game away.

Nov. 13 @ Western Carolina - Since ETSU last played the Catamounts, Western Carolina thought a coaching change was necessary. Enter Kerwin Bell, a certified head coaching stud (see Jacksonville and Valdosta State). Although Bell's resume is impressive (it is), I think the Catamounts are a year to two away from amounting to something.
Conclusion - Win (7-0 SoCon, 9-1)

I was impressed with how well Western performed against ETSU in the first half (they got themselves a good one in Kerwin Bell). The second half was a different story as the Bucs were one win away from clinching their second SoCon title at that point.

Nov. 20 Mercer - ETSU will conclude its conference slate against the Bears for the third season in a row. The Bears look much improved from previous seasons but the question is can Drew Cronic overcome a sophomore slump that befell many a SoCon coach over the past several years (raises my hand and says guilty). This game could decide the SoCon champion.
Conclusion - Lean Win (8-0 SoCon, 10-1)

This game DID decide the SoCon champion and it was plenty epic to say the least. The only difference between that game and the 1998 Tennessee-Florida game was that none of the ETSU fans stormed the field to take down the goal posts. Honk if any of you back in May 2021 had ETSU playing Mercer for the SoCon title.

So ETSU did not go undefeated in SoCon play but they DID go 10-1. I figured VMI, Mercer and Samford would give us their best shot (Furman and Chattanooga too). Western Carolina were who I thought they were as I expect Western to be a contender this season.

I was happy with their performance and the Bucs' effort against eventual FCS national champion North Dakota St. was valiant to say the least. We lost a few key pieces but we have a few key pieces coming back. We also had a well-documented coaching change and I submit that ETSU football is in good hands. I don't see this team devolving into a dumpster after someone chucked a bunch of Molotov cocktails into it (see ETSU softball) anytime soon.

FUBeAR
June 26th, 2022, 07:48 PM
\EndThread
\EndThread

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 26th, 2022, 07:54 PM
\EndThread

17-13 and 38-35.

Libertine
June 26th, 2022, 09:04 PM
\EndThread

Thread can't end until Hooty chimes in.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 26th, 2022, 09:52 PM
Thread can't end until Hooty chimes in.

You mean the Hooty who had a severe case of sour grapes over his team's loss to ETSU.

Libertine
June 27th, 2022, 08:44 AM
You mean the Hooty who had a severe case of sour grapes over his team's loss to ETSU.

That's the one.