PDA

View Full Version : SoCon 2021 Off-Season Thread

FUBeAR
May 20th, 2021, 06:57 AM
With the game of Musical Chairs AKA the Transfer Portal in full swing, this should be an interesting off-season.

FUBeAR will start…

BIG PICKUP for the Mercer Bears yesterday - 1st Team FCS All-American WR/RS headed from the burg of Boiling Springs, NC to the Metropolis of Maconga…

https://twitter.com/devronharper/status/1395187200535445507

https://twitter.com/devronharper/status/1392599120741863428

FUBeAR
May 20th, 2021, 07:07 AM
Also - always fun to pick on the “Top Dog” … or “Top Roo” in this case…

https://twitter.com/ajfriedenberger/status/1394764800417320966

Why does the Governor of VA hate his Alma Mater so much? (that’s just a rhetorical question)…

The real question, because this is NOT a Political post & this thread is NOT in the Political Sub-Forum, is how do we think these allegations / this report might impact VMI Football Recruiting & Retention? Success of this Spring more than offsets it or will there be an impact going forward?

kdinva
May 20th, 2021, 01:13 PM
I think VMI athletics will be fine, the new Supe, MG Wins, class of '85 (4 year hoops starter, 1,450 point scorer), is on top of all this crap the gov. has handed the Institute. The Gov only listened to that crap that WaPo reporter (Shapira) spewed out in cyberspace.

Also - always fun to pick on the “Top Dog” … or “Top Roo” in this case…

https://twitter.com/ajfriedenberger/status/1394764800417320966

Why does the Governor of VA hate his Alma Mater so much? (that’s just a rhetorical question)…

The real question, because this is NOT a Political post & this thread is NOT in the Political Sub-Forum, is how do we think these allegations / this report might impact VMI Football Recruiting & Retention? Success of this Spring more than offsets it or will there be an impact going forward?

FUBeAR
May 20th, 2021, 01:58 PM
OK…in other SoCon non-Transfer Portal off-season news…

Is weed now legal in AL? Sammy’s AD had to be on something when he recently Tweeted this…

https://twitter.com/martinnewton1/status/1394098070820950018

acbearkat
May 20th, 2021, 02:17 PM

Is weed now legal in AL? Sammy’s AD had to be on something when he recently Tweeted this…

It doesn't matter what level of college football it is, moving the football season to the spring is a logistical nightmare, and would require changing the schedules of other sports, such as baseball, softball, and basketball around.

ElCid
May 20th, 2021, 04:55 PM

No. It was a novelty this year. It would be horrible as a permanent idea.

acbearkat
May 20th, 2021, 08:45 PM
No. It was a novelty this year. It would be horrible as a permanent idea.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catamount87
May 21st, 2021, 08:37 AM
Admittedly, I have not kept up with sports for the last year and half and like many Catamounts, was not very happy about the state of football. Mark Speir came in and started turning around the program but tripped along the way over excessive loyalty to less than capable asst coaches and had what appeared to be an inability to pivot when needed, either in-game, with staff and most of all, in systems. He's a man of honor and integrity and his players appeared to love him. But adaptability wasn't there.

That all said, the Catamounts will be the wildcard come this fall. Coach Bell brings with him a high powered offensive system. We all hope he can bring a defense too as none of us want to go down the Hatcher path. Sadly, the defensive line coach, NFL great and purple bleeding Catamount, Clyde Simmons won't get to show us what he could do with a defensive line. The transfer portal seems to be a draw for players everywhere and a bit more so where there have been coaching changes. That adds that more to the uncertainty. But that's a two way street and we've seen a number of pickups there too.

So what will the SoCon look like this fall? Who knows given VMI pulled it off this past spring, the wheels fell off the bus for WCU and Wofford, The Citadel looked shaky at best, UTC, Samford and ETSU at least looked competitive, Mercer has some promise and Furman was a bit unstable.

acbearkat
May 21st, 2021, 09:28 AM
Admittedly, I have not kept up with sports for the last year and half and like many Catamounts, was not very happy about the state of football. Mark Speir came in and started turning around the program but tripped along the way over excessive loyalty to less than capable asst coaches and had what appeared to be an inability to pivot when needed, either in-game, with staff and most of all, in systems. He's a man of honor and integrity and his players appeared to love him. But adaptability wasn't there.

That all said, the Catamounts will be the wildcard come this fall. Coach Bell brings with him a high powered offensive system. We all hope he can bring a defense too as none of us want to go down the Hatcher path. Sadly, the defensive line coach, NFL great and purple bleeding Catamount, Clyde Simmons won't get to show us what he could do with a defensive line. The transfer portal seems to be a draw for players everywhere and a bit more so where there have been coaching changes. That adds that more to the uncertainty. But that's a two way street and we've seen a number of pickups there too.

So what will the SoCon look like this fall? Who knows given VMI pulled it off this past spring, the wheels fell off the bus for WCU and Wofford, The Citadel looked shaky at best, UTC, Samford and ETSU at least looked competitive, Mercer has some promise and Furman was a bit unstable.

If Kerwin Bell has the right staff in place, in terms of coaches who can both recruit and coach up the talent, he'll be successful. He's proven he can be a successful head coach, but he has to get the defensive coordinator hire right.

PaladinNation
May 22nd, 2021, 06:46 AM
Furman is having a very active May… more than normal.
Pete Lusk (OL) has left the program to go to law school at FSU, this move appears to have been in the works for a while. Dru Duke (TE) coach is moving to OL coach. Some fans aren't a fan of this move, I like it. Obviously, Clay will take on a heavier role mentoring Duke and the OL. I'm still scratching my head over the inconsistence of Furman's line performance in the spring. A note - hearing interesting rumors on who will step in the coach tight-end.

Furman has been very active getting some players into the 2021 class. Makhai Reed an athlete from Indiana, has signed, COVID appeared to have delayed recruiting on Reed.

Furman also picked up a transfer QB. Colt Minson (Virginia Beach, Va) Charlotte. Minson actually graduated a year early turned down offers from Southern Miss, Samford, W&M to name a few to sign with Charlotte.
https://twitter.com/coltminson07/status/1393992983326961665

Furman didn't stop there with Quarterbacks. Within days of Minson signing Furman has brought in two interesting PWO Quarterbacks. Furman played the spring with zero depth at QB. In the fall Furman will bring into camp four scholarship quarterbacks and two PWO quarterbacks. I assume starting QB is wide-open.
Gabe Johnson a 6-5 210 Pro-Style QB
https://twitter.com/gJohnson_9/status/1394398684700413955

Trey Wainwright, Florida's Mr. Football signed he's 5-10, 175 another undersized Qb but with big stats. Senior year: 2,749 passing yards, 34 touchdowns and a 72% completion rate. https://twitter.com/Niceville_FB/status/1379903976653647874

FUBeAR
May 22nd, 2021, 09:29 AM
FCS vs. FBS match-ups this Fall w/brief article: https://theanalyst.com/2021/05/fcs-schedule-against-fbs-schools-this-fall/

SoCon FBS games…

SOUTHERN CONFERENCE (9)

Chattanooga: Kentucky (Sept. 18) - Chattaquitta Fans…How many points will the Mocks be giving in this game? UTC -10 or more?

ETSU: Vanderbilt (Sept. 4) - C’mon Bucs. The Commies play like girls & like their brethren in Chatt, quit during their Fall season. Show ‘em who has the manliest Team in the Volunteer State!

Furman: North Carolina State (Sept. 18) - 1976, 1984, and 1985 are calling. Let’s go retro ‘Dins!!!

Mercer: Alabama (Sept. 11) - Do Coach Saban & the Tide D brain trust have enough chops to come up with a game plan to slow down Coach Cronic’s one-of-a-kind O. This could get ugly if they don’t

Samford: Florida (Nov. 13) - Last FBS trip to the Sunshine State, the Hatch Attack nearly (and shoulda) took down the Criminoles. Can they finish the job this time vs. the SwampLizards?

The Citadel: Coastal Carolina (Sept. 2) - Is this really considered an FBS game. Dogs need to fricassee the BeachChickens!

VMI: Kent State (Sept. 11) - Is more than half a century too soon to make a joke about the Military visiting Kent State’s campus? Probably so. Anyway…love to see the Keydets re-arm after their Spring success, shoot their best shots, and massacre the Golden Flashes.

Western Carolina: Oklahoma (Sept. 11) - K&K Bell & Co. head to the OK Corral in a covered wagon just a few guns shy, but I wouldn’t bet the under on any 2 digit line in this game.

Wofford: North Carolina (Nov. 20) - after Mercer gifted Woffraud with the SoCon Regular Season Baseball Championship yesterday, FUBeAR is not talking about the Teary-ers.

ElCid
May 22nd, 2021, 10:08 AM
The Citadel: Coastal Carolina (Sept. 2) - Is this really considered an FBS game. Dogs need to fricassee the BeachChickens!

Ok. Granted it was a rump season and some teams were out of sorts or didn't even play a full schedule. But, CCU did finished at #14 in the AP top 25. Was it deserved? Who can say, but yes, it is an FBS game without a doubt. Not sure they will start in the top 25, but they have have stepped up pretty good.

They moved our game up to Thursday because they have Kansas coming the following Friday. Maybe, just maybe we can catch them looking ahead, even if it is a hapless Kansas team who they beat last year.

acbearkat
May 22nd, 2021, 10:26 PM
Ok. Granted it was a rump season and some teams were out of sorts or didn't even play a full schedule. But, CCU did finished at #14 in the AP top 25. Was it deserved? Who can say, but yes, it is an FBS game without a doubt. Not sure they will start in the top 25, but they have have stepped up pretty good.

They moved our game up to Thursday because they have Kansas coming the following Friday. Maybe, just maybe we can catch them looking ahead, even if it is a hapless Kansas team who they beat last year.

Kansas won’t be any better. They are haunted by the ghost of Charlie Weis. They’ll be destroyed by Texas this year. They were supposed to have played Texas a week after the shocking Texas shellacking of Kansas State. As a Texas fan, I was in shock at the final score of 69-31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
May 25th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Samford - Hatcher has said he doesn't want Spring football again. Not sure why our AD made the comment, but it may have been to support Cole Cublic, and not really a statement to be overly concerned with.

Stadium Improvements - Nothing spectacular, but badly needed concessions, bathrooms, and press tower improvements. About a $3 million investment.

Transfers - Our PK Mitchell Fineran will be kicking for Purdue, and they are getting a good one. Our former stud LB John Staton will be playing for the Bulldogs(Georgia variety). QB Chris Oladokun will be signal caller for FAMU. His brother, DB Jordan Oladokun, consensus 3*** signed with Samford. He had 31 offers out of HS, and 15 were P5. Thanks to the covid rule, QB Liam Welch is expected to be back for his 12th year(LOL).

Lots can happen between now and August, but if all the players that can return do so, this will be a very talented team. Hopefully a team that can close out games better than they have in recent seasons.

acbearkat
May 25th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Alabama will blow out Mercer, mark it down. That game will be over by halftime.

FUBeAR
May 25th, 2021, 12:02 PM
Alabama would blow out SHSU, mark it down. That game would be over by halftime.
EYP

BTW - SHSU only has 10 games scheduled this Fall. Mercer only has 10 as well and needs a Home game on 9/17 to have Football on campus before October. SHSU is open that day. Y’all come on up to Maconga. Most of Mercer’s Team will still be in the hospital from their prior week matchup with Bama, so it will be an easy rout for the BearKats.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
May 25th, 2021, 02:45 PM
ETSU: Vanderbilt (Sept. 4) - C’mon Bucs. The Commies play like girls & like their brethren in Chatt, quit during their Fall season. Show ‘em who has the manliest Team in the Volunteer State!

First of all, Josh Heupel would like to have a word with you about that. I had Vandyland as a loss for ETSU. It would be interesting to see how well Randy Sanders can match wits with Clark Lea. I will be beyond shocked if the Bucs set off a mushroom cloud in Nashville.

Yes, it's an FBS game. Friendly reminder that Coastal Carolina had a season for the ages last fall and is still coached by ETSU alum Jamey Chadwell (who goes back a long way with me albeit it's been 20+ years since I last made contact with him). Good luck Bulldogs, you're going to need it.

wcugrad95
May 25th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Honest question, because this is happening at WCU. We brought in a new head coach that by all accounts was an extremely good hire. He has brought in coaches that he has very good relationships with, but on paper it looks like we are raiding Tusculum's coaching staff and their roster. Tusculum has enjoyed success particularly on offense, and we are bringing in an OC and quarterback tandem that has enjoyed a huge amount of success both at Valdosta State and then at Tusculum (Kade Bell is the OC and Rogan Wells is the QB).

So finally to the question - would you prefer to have a head coach/OC/QB combo from a lower level that is very accustomed to each other and who will no doubt know the scheme and playbook way better than say having a highly-recruited QB to "fit" into your system? I am trying to have tempered expectations, but personally I think given how Western's coaching staff will have to go straight into the season with nothing more than the Fall practices that bringing in kids from their past systems to at least bridge the gap gives us the best chance to return to at least competitiveness.

I guess the crazy pandemic season and the "free" extra year and free agency going on might be beneficial to us. At the same time, I can see a lot of people not getting real excited about adding a bunch of DII coaches or players. I'll say WCU football can only be better - because it would be near impossible to have gotten worse.

FUBeAR
May 25th, 2021, 04:20 PM
Honest question, because this is happening at WCU. We brought in a new head coach that by all accounts was an extremely good hire. He has brought in coaches that he has very good relationships with, but on paper it looks like we are raiding Tusculum's coaching staff and their roster. Tusculum has enjoyed success particularly on offense, and we are bringing in an OC and quarterback tandem that has enjoyed a huge amount of success both at Valdosta State and then at Tusculum (Kade Bell is the OC and Rogan Wells is the QB).

So finally to the question - would you prefer to have a head coach/OC/QB combo from a lower level that is very accustomed to each other and who will no doubt know the scheme and playbook way better than say having a highly-recruited QB to "fit" into your system? I am trying to have tempered expectations, but personally I think given how Western's coaching staff will have to go straight into the season with nothing more than the Fall practices that bringing in kids from their past systems to at least bridge the gap gives us the best chance to return to at least competitiveness.

I guess the crazy pandemic season and the "free" extra year and free agency going on might be beneficial to us. At the same time, I can see a lot of people not getting real excited about adding a bunch of DII coaches or players. I'll say WCU football can only be better - because it would be near impossible to have gotten worse.
WCU is making “All the Right Moves” (a movie that mentions Furman, BTW). They will be much more competitive going forward and the SoCon will be better for it. I ain’t saying the Cats gonna win a SoCon Football Championship because we all know that’s against the laws of nature & the Football Gods…but all is good. Most of the Top Half of D2 schools would have beaten the Teams that WCU trotted out in recent years. It’s the talent & the Team that matters; not some artificial label that has been slapped on a Coach or a Player.

Coach Bell is going to be a fun add. I think he might be a little like Mercer’s previous basketball Coach…does a good job…is a nice guy…has a lot of personality…and opinions that he’s not shy about sharing…and someone that opposing fans are going to love to hate…and ‘ride’ when possible.

He owns the “single greatest highlight in the history of SportsCenter.” How can we NOT have fun with a guy like that?

https://twitter.com/jayonsc/status/1392997157867859969

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
May 26th, 2021, 02:01 PM

Do I think WCU could win a SoCon title with Kerwin Bell? In time, yes. Do I think WCU will see the success ETSU saw in Randy Sanders' first year as head coach? Without knowing the roster that WCU has, I would have to say the answer is no. WCU might get lucky against a lower-level team or two in conference play this fall but I don't see WCU catching "lightning in a bottle" (see Mercer and ETSU) in Bell's first year.

Smitty
May 26th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Man if I had a dollar for every time I heard that "WCU is making all the right moves" I would probably have $5 now...

walliver
May 29th, 2021, 09:30 AM
I think WCU getting D2 talent will help.
WCU has had great talented PLAYERS, but rarely had good teams. A stud QB or RB alone doesn't win games. If a player/coach combination can get the program, heading in the right direction, "name" players can be brought in later.

kdinva
May 29th, 2021, 04:21 PM
... If a player/coach combination can get the program, heading in the right direction.....

and schemes..

Mocs123
June 3rd, 2021, 11:30 AM
The Mocs have added Mercer Transfer (and Chattanooga native) Robert Riddle to the roster as a graduate transfer. If he's healthy he ought to be a great addition (and even if he's not he adds to the QB room).

The Mocs also hired Tommy Gault as our new Offensive Line coach. Tommy came from Assumption Univeristy (D2) but has also had stints at North Greenville, Townson, Fordham, as well as graduate work at Penn State and South Carolina.

Finally, Mocs DB Coach Don Bibee has retired and has been replaced by Alum Tyrus Ward. Ward has been a HC at several high schools in the Chattanooga and Nashville areas.

FUBeAR
June 3rd, 2021, 02:58 PM
I think VMI athletics will be fine, the new Supe, MG Wins, class of '85 (4 year hoops starter, 1,450 point scorer), is on top of all this crap the gov. has handed the Institute. The Gov only listened to that crap that WaPo reporter (Shapira) spewed out in cyberspace.
Welp…here’s the full 145 page report …

“MARCHING TOWARD INCLUSIVE EXCELLENCE: AN EQUITY AUDIT AND INVESTIGATION OF THE VIRGINIA MILITARY INSTITUTE - ”FINAL REPORT OF THE BARNES & THORNBURG LLP SPECIAL INVESTIGATION TEAM

https://schev.edu/docs/default-source/documents/vmi-special-investigation-team-final-reporta8b3c750bece61aeb256ff000079de01.pdf

…also talks a lot about Athlete vs. Non-Athlete in here. I know that was (probably still is) a big issue at the Air Force Academy.

I just think, with the release & publicity around this investigation / report, an already difficult recruiting situation at VMI is going to get even harder and more heavily scrutinized by non-athletics minded bureaucrats.

kdinva
June 4th, 2021, 09:35 AM
Welp…here’s the full 145 page report …

“MARCHING TOWARD INCLUSIVE EXCELLENCE: AN EQUITY AUDIT AND INVESTIGATION OF THE VIRGINIA MILITARY INSTITUTE - ”FINAL REPORT OF THE BARNES & THORNBURG LLP SPECIAL INVESTIGATION TEAM

https://schev.edu/docs/default-source/documents/vmi-special-investigation-team-final-reporta8b3c750bece61aeb256ff000079de01.pdf

…also talks a lot about Athlete vs. Non-Athlete in here. I know that was (probably still is) a big issue at the Air Force Academy.

I just think, with the release & publicity around this investigation / report, an already difficult recruiting situation at VMI is going to get even harder and more heavily scrutinized by non-athletics minded bureaucrats.

what is bothersome is that a lot of folks Nationwide ASSUME this happens only at VMI, that there NEVER has been any similar issues at the country's other 1,100 other colleges...See Meredith at Ole Miss in 1963, and 1,000s of similar episodes.

Milktruck74
June 4th, 2021, 11:52 AM
I'm sure I'll get torched for having an opinion that differs from "the accepted" one. I may even get canceled for this, but I'm beyond fed up and just don't give a rats ass (like the VMI reference there) anymore.

The Executive summary states...VMI has also traditionally been run by white men, for white men. VMI’s overallunwillingness to change—or even question its practices and traditions in ameaningful way—has sustained systems that disadvantage minority and femalecadets and faculty, and has left VMI trailing behind its peer institutions.

Flipping the script a little

it could have said said....Randolph Macon Women's College has also traditionally been run by women, for women. RMWC's overallunwillingness to change—or even question its practices and traditions in ameaningful way—has sustained systems that disadvantages male students and faculty, and has left RMWC trailing behind its peer institutions.

or

Hampton University has also traditionally been run by black men, for black students. Hampton’s overallunwillingness to change—or even question its practices and traditions in ameaningful way—has sustained systems that disadvantages white students and faculty, and has left Hampton trailing behind its peer institutions.

I have nothing against Women's colleges or HBCUs, they fill a vital role in our education system. I'm just saying, our society needs to stop forcing everyone to be everything to everybody. People are different, and thank God he made us that way. IF you don't like the tradition of VMI or Hampton...don't go!!! Both are great institutions that produce some bright minds....but they shouldn't have to change to accommodate EVERYONE.

FUBeAR
June 4th, 2021, 02:04 PM
So we don’t skew off into politics (and ‘get in trouble’), probably best for this discussion to focus on how this investigation/report/response/news coverage may/may not affect VMI Football/Athletics & Recruiting. This is certainly SoCon Off-season stuff, so I think it falls well within the realm of this Forum / Thread … just best to try to keep it focused appropriately if we can.

Mocs123
June 9th, 2021, 12:05 PM
I started thinking about trying to do a pre-season ranking for the SoCon and realized how much of a mess it is. I assume that for most SoCon schools the players that played in the spring will be back for the fall, but I know VMI and Wofford do not have graduate schools. Any key members of those teams (other than Udiskski) who won't be back for the fall?

kdinva
June 9th, 2021, 12:09 PM
.....I assume that for most SoCon schools the players that played in the spring will be back for the fall, but I know VMI and Wofford do not have graduate schools. Any key members of those teams (other than Udiskski) who won't be back for the fall?

VMI starting DB Josh Sarratt has transferred to JMU, two more years of eligibility. 3 other VMI seniors using their 5th year elsewhere as grad transfers.

Catamount87
June 9th, 2021, 12:11 PM
I started thinking about trying to do a pre-season ranking for the SoCon and realized how much of a mess it is. I assume that for most SoCon schools the players that played in the spring will be back for the fall, but I know VMI and Wofford do not have graduate schools. Any key members of those teams (other than Udiskski) who won't be back for the fall?

If there ever was a 'crapshoot' season, the 2021-2022 season would be at or near the top!

Mocs123
June 9th, 2021, 12:40 PM
If there ever was a 'crapshoot' season, the 2021-2022 season would be at or near the top!

I couldn't agree more. Personally I think the Mocs will be really good. Is VMI for real? They sure seemed to be even after Udinski went out. ETSU and Mercer were playing well at the end of the season. Furman and Wofford didn't play that well (especially late) but have the talent to be really good. Samford looked dangerous at times, The Citadel had a lot of guys out and will be better than the spring. WCU didn't look so good, but I think Bell was a killer hire and will turn them around. I think there's a lot of parity in the SoCon this year - there are no easy wins.

Mocs123
June 9th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Speaking of Fall 2021 I see Mercer only has 10 games? I assume it's because Yale backed out? They also have a game against Point leaving them only 8 real chances at D1 Wins. Obviously they technically could win the SoCon and go to the playoffs, but they are pretty much out of at large contention if they don't get the autobid. Any idea if they are trying to pick up another D1 game or any chance the Yale game will return?

Looking at the OOC games:

Chattanooga plays Austin Peay, which should be the OVC favorite, and North Alabama.
The Citadel plays crosstown rival Charleston Southern and D2 North Greenveile.
Furman plays Big South contender NC A&T and OVC also ran TTU
Mercer plays D2 Point (they did have a game with Yale but it's not on the schedule now)
Samford plays OVC foes TTU and TN-Martin.
VMI plays Pioneer champion Davidson and Cornell.
Western Carolina plays new A-Sun member EKU and Gardner Webb.
Wofford, who I've given grief about poor OOC opponents in the past plays a strong CAA opponent in Elon, as well as playoff regular KSU. - Good schedule for the Terriers.
ETSU plays Delaware St from the MEAC and D2 UVA-Wise.

I think a total of 5 of those OOC opponents are playoff contenders/ranked teams. We have 3 games against D2 opponents.

Mocs123
June 9th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Way too early preseason ranking:

This was hard. Feel free to blast away.

1.) Chattanooga - Maybe a bit of a homer pick, but I think the Mocs are a really good team. We needed a QB, and we may have gotten a good one in Riddle, but if not Copeland and Arnold are working hard this summer.
2.) Furman – I know, even their fans think their offense is horrible, but I think this team has talent, and is better coached than the Palidan faithful realize.
3.) VMI – A Keydet team at preseason #3? – You bet. I’m not sure they can recreate all the magic of the spring, but this team has a different culture than I’ve seen in Lexington before.
4.) ETSU – The Bucs are a team I had trouble figuring out what to do with. I’ve had them anywhere from #4 to #8. I’m putting a lot of stock (maybe too much) in the spring season and putting them at #4.
5.) Samford – Samford as always will be dangerous and talented, but I can pretty much put Samford from #4 to #6 in any given year and be pretty close.
6.) Mercer – Perhaps I’m doing the opposite with the Bears as I did with the Bucs and putting too little stock in what I saw in the spring. They looked pretty darn good near the end of the year, which shouldn’t surprise me as I think Cronic is a good coach, but this is a young team. I could see myself raising them a few spots before the season starts.
7.) The Citadel – The Bulldogs had a lot of guys out in the spring, and I think they are pretty talented, but they have lost a lot of games in the past 12 months, and I wonder if that has gotten in their head.
8.) Wofford – I debated about ranking them last, as I think Conklin lost this team in the spring, but they are pretty talented, so I put them above a better coached but less talented Western team.
9.) Western Carolina – The Catamounts are a big unknown with Kerwin Bell taking over the helm. I do think you’ll see new fight from the Cats and think they will win some games, but I’m not sure Bell has enough weapons at his disposal yet to do the things he wants to do.

walliver
June 9th, 2021, 03:38 PM

1.) Chattanooga - Maybe a bit of a homer pick, but I think the Mocs are a really good team. We needed a QB, and we may have gotten a good one in Riddle, but if not Copeland and Arnold are working hard this summer.
2.) Furman – I know, even their fans think their offense is horrible, but I think this team has talent, and is better coached than the Palidan faithful realize.
3.) VMI – A Keydet team at preseason #3? – You bet. I’m not sure they can recreate all the magic of the spring, but this team has a different culture than I’ve seen in Lexington before.
4.) ETSU – The Bucs are a team I had trouble figuring out what to do with. I’ve had them anywhere from #4 to #8. I’m putting a lot of stock (maybe too much) in the spring season and putting them at #4.
5.) Samford – Samford as always will be dangerous and talented, but I can pretty much put Samford from #4 to #6 in any given year and be pretty close.
6.) Mercer – Perhaps I’m doing the opposite with the Bears as I did with the Bucs and putting too little stock in what I saw in the spring. They looked pretty darn good near the end of the year, which shouldn’t surprise me as I think Cronic is a good coach, but this is a young team. I could see myself raising them a few spots before the season starts.
7.) The Citadel – The Bulldogs had a lot of guys out in the spring, and I think they are pretty talented, but they have lost a lot of games in the past 12 months, and I wonder if that has gotten in their head.
8.) Wofford – I debated about ranking them last, as I think Conklin lost this team in the spring, but they are pretty talented, so I put them above a better coached but less talented Western team.
9.) Western Carolina – The Catamounts are a big unknown with Kerwin Bell taking over the helm. I do think you’ll see new fight from the Cats and think they will win some games, but I’m not sure Bell has enough weapons at his disposal yet to do the things he wants to do.

Conklin applying for every P5 DC job available while pushing for a spring season obviously didn't help. I expect him to leave after this year. Nevertheless, his coaches have been doing a decent job with recruitment. We've had our fair share of outgoing graduate transfers as well as two non-graduate transfers out this spring during the season, before the team shut down.
Wofford has had unexpectedly bad teams every 5 years or so for the last 20 years, so I expect us to be back in the race this fall.

FUBeAR
June 9th, 2021, 07:49 PM

RIDICULOUS!

FUBeAR intends to use The Scientific Method to make his pre-season rankings & 1st half of season SoCon picks. Ordered my prediculation machine from Amazon just this week…

https://prospur.io/Content/images/wheel.gif

PaladinNation
June 11th, 2021, 05:55 AM
Mocs_

Hendrix stated he wasn't happy with the spring performance and everything is on the table and will be evaluated.
Highly regarded WR coach Brian Bratton has been promoted to passing game coordinator. Your guess is as good as mine as to what this means offensively. Bratton, is a rising star and on Football Scoop's minority coach watch list. My hope is with the influx of athletic running-backs converted to wide receivers we'll see a different offensive philosophy in the fall.

As far as player talent I think you're right this Furman team has on paper as much talent as I can remember. Furman is still shockingly young. Furman's updated roster list 119 players (due to aggressive PWO recruiting) only 21 players are juniors or seniors.

OL play will be critical - how will the youngsters perform (Toomey, Davis, Wilson). Also I'm interested to see does Furman's focus on recruiting Texas start to have an impact on the field? Wayne Anderson had a decent spring, K Thomas looked explosive when he touched the ball. The fall brings in three more Texans a 300 plus pound Ryan Lamb, and two big running backs.

I do expect the defense to step it up a notch. The d-line is back and Furman has brought in more help including 6-2 250 DE Bryce Stanfield (offers from App, Coastal, Wake). The Dins are still young at linebacker.

Maybe the best news > Furman is installing new turf, and purple end zones!
https://twitter.com/DanScottShow/status/1402267410753900551

Catamount87
June 11th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Mocs_

Hendrix stated he wasn't happy with the spring performance and everything is on the table and will be evaluated.
Highly regarded WR coach Brian Bratton has been promoted to passing game coordinator. Your guess is as good as mine as to what this means offensively. Bratton, is a rising star and on Football Scoop's minority coach watch list. My hope is with the influx of athletic running-backs converted to wide receivers we'll see a different offensive philosophy in the fall.

As far as player talent I think you're right this Furman team has on paper as much talent as I can remember. Furman is still shockingly young. Furman's updated roster list 119 players (due to aggressive PWO recruiting) only 21 players are juniors or seniors.

OL play will be critical - how will the youngsters perform (Toomey, Davis, Wilson). Also I'm interested to see does Furman's focus on recruiting Texas start to have an impact on the field? Wayne Anderson had a decent spring, K Thomas looked explosive when he touched the ball. The fall brings in three more Texans a 300 plus pound Ryan Lamb, and two big running backs.

I do expect the defense to step it up a notch. The d-line is back and Furman has brought in more help including 6-2 250 DE Bryce Stanfield (offers from App, Coastal, Wake). The Dins are still young at linebacker.

Maybe the best news > Furman is installing new turf, and purple end zones!
https://twitter.com/DanScottShow/status/1402267410753900551

Hmm, where have I seen a field and stadium like that before?????

Catamount87
June 11th, 2021, 09:21 AM
RIDICULOUS!

FUBeAR intends to use The Scientific Method to make his pre-season rankings & 1st half of season SoCon picks. Ordered my prediculation machine from Amazon just this week…

https://prospur.io/Content/images/wheel.gif

So FUBeAR, are you planning on being a contestant on Wheel of Fortune this fall?

FUBeAR
June 11th, 2021, 09:33 AM
So FUBeAR, are you planning on being a contestant on Wheel of Fortune this fall?
More of a Jeopardy man, myself; although I have met Vanna White (many years ago).

That said, I do believe spinning a wheel displaying the 9 SoCon Teams to make your pre-season rankings list is likely to be as effective as any other methodology. Too much change and too much parity to get a read on things until the season is about 1/2 over.

Well - ChattaQuitta excepted of course. Mocks fans have already engraved the “Chatta…” part on the National Championship Trophy & booked their Victory Celebration venues in Frisco, TX. Apparently, losing to a bad FBS Team, being afraid to play VMI, Samford, and ETSU, barely squeaking by a middle-of-the-SoCon-pack Furman Team, and losing to Mercer are direct indicators of a National Championship just over the horizon.

Mocs123
June 11th, 2021, 10:36 AM
I admit that I am biased, but I do think the Mocs are a really talented team that are motivated and well coached. Does that mean I'm booking my trip to Frisco? No way, there are a lot of good teams out there, and just because a team is talented, motivated, and well coached doesn't mean there aren't a million things that could go wrong and I think to go to the National Championship you need to have luck go your way at least a time or two during the season or playoffs.

Heck I think the SoCon is going to be brutal in and of itself. The way it looks now, I think the SoCon might be the best "top to bottom" conference in the country - no longer do we have a VMI or WCU where you can start the celebratory drinks prior to the game starting. Every team is going to be a tough out.

Here's my take on the Mocs:

Quarterback - This was the biggest question mark for the fall season (and still probably is). Drayton Arnold has had some good games and some bad games, and to be honest, I'm never sure which Dray we are going to get. Cole Copeland got to play some this spring, and does some nice things too, but is still playing his first football in two years. We also had Chattanooga native and former Mercer QB Robert Riddle come home for the fall season. He proved to be a pretty darn good QB in his two partial seasons in Macon. If he's healthy you have to assume he has the upper hand in the QB competition in the spring. Is he healthy? - I have no idea. If Riddle returns to his previous form, we should be set, if not our success will be on the development of either Drayton or Copeland.

Running Back - If QB is our biggest question mark, the RB spot is our most solid spot. We have Ailym Ford returning and I think he's the best back in the SoCon, but we have other great backs too. Most people forget about Tyrell Price, who was an all-SoCon selection prior to tearing his ACL and making way for Ailym. Price ran pretty well in the spring and is well motivated to have a good final year. Gino Appleberry split time with Price in the spring and is going to be a really good back too. Jeffery Wood - the fastest man in Tennessee according to Jim Harghbaugh is a threat every time he touches the ball. He too is coming off an ACL tear (we had 3 running backs go down with ACL tears in 2019) and will likely split time between RB and WR. We also have Lance Jackson, a RS Freshman that never had a carry until he started the Mercer game this year. He looked good too with over 100 yards in his collegiate debut.

Wideout - Losing Nunnelly hurt but that lead to the emergence of Reggie Henderson, who just caught anything thrown his way in the spring. Henderson was a converted defensive back and has worked really hard to make himself into a great player and it appears he's done just that. Local product Andrew Manning doesn't have Nunnelly's speed, but has done a pretty good impression in the spring with his sure handed catches. We have a few more experienced wideouts in KAnore McKinnon, Tyrin Summers, and Tyuron Arnett, but also had some young guys step up and Jamoi Mays looked particularly good in the spring, and Tyler Smith has the coaches excited as well.

Tight End - All American Chris James will be back in the fall along with USC Transfer KeShawn Toney who had some amazing looking catches on his practice film. Juwan Tyus who has moved back and forth between WR and TE is a mismatch machine, and Jay Gibson who started in the spring has shown he can catch passes as well as block. I don't know how much he'll play this year but Freshman Travon Jones will make an impact here before he leaves.

Offensive Line - We have an experienced group here with headlined by Cole Strange. We have two other seniors Harrison Moon and Kyle Miskelley who will hopefully be back after a spring injury. If he's not we also have Blake Mitchell, a graduate transfer from APSU and All-OVC selection at Center. I was worried about depth at the position, but when Miskelley went out in the first series of the Furman game, true freshman Reid Williams stepped in and did just fine, and we started an all freshman group against Mercer getting them valuable experience - I think we have more depth than I thought.

Defensive Line - We have a talented and deep D-Line with All American Devonnsha Maxwell leading that group off along with fellow Juniors Christian Smith, Ben Brewton, and Giovanni Reviere. We also have a bunch of really talented freshman with John Prince, Marlon Taylor, and Quay Wiggles - who all got a BUNCH of snaps in the spring.

Outside Linebacker - Ty Boeck and Jay Person are two pretty good starters and we have some experienced backups in Tez Wilson and CJ Winston, and few freshman that got some spring snaps in Justin Sanders, Trevon Stanford, Bo Spearman (who will be a beast before he leaves), and Daniel Brent.

Inside Linebacker - Kam Jones is as solid as they come, but I am worried about depth here. Walkon Christian Snyder came in and had 20 tackles in his first start against Mercer, but I'm not sure if he'll be back as he graduated in the spring even though he's only listed as a Junior. If he doesn't return, we may have to get creative here.

Safety - We have an experienced and talented group here. Long term starters Brandon Dowdell and Jerrell Lawson return along with DJ Jackson who's started a bunch of games for us at all different spots of the defensive backfield. We have more experience there too with Zay Brown who started in the spring, and Romeo Wykle, who started for LaFeyette before he transferred back home to Chattanooga. We've also got some talented freshman in Jordan Walker, who played in the spring, and Josh Battle and Rio Blige.

Jack - We'll play some different guys here but Rashun Freeman is the main guy and he's been a solid player for a long time. He's backed up by freshman Reuben Lowery who played in the spring.

Corner - We have four guys who've started games here. Jordan Jones is the most experienced, but Camiron Smith and Kam Brown have played a bunch too, and Jalen "Jet" Lee is looking really good as a freshmen. I expect Telly Plummer and JD Harris to be in the mix too.

This should be the best Moc team in at least five years. Hopefully we can take advantage of our talent and make a playoff run.

FUBeAR
June 11th, 2021, 08:54 PM
So many words…

C’mon…Go ahead…you know you want to…get it started…the “Official 2021 Chattanooga, Who is laughing now? Thread”

Start it off with something like this…

This will be the thread that I go to throughout the year. Rather than laughing at all of our victims individually with new threads, we will keep it all here. This season is several years in the works and finally seeing it all pay off at the expense of all the haters will be fulfilling.

Mocs123
June 13th, 2021, 05:41 AM
I don't take anything for grated before the game. I think we have talent, and I think we have chance for a special season, but there are lots of different things that could mess that up. I don't expect Chattanooga to be #1 on anyone's preseason poll, probably not even the #1 SoCon team on many peoples polls. If we want it we have to go earn it on the field of play.

rtzlunar
June 14th, 2021, 02:06 PM
So many words…

C’mon…Go ahead…you know you want to…get it started…the “Official 2021 Chattanooga, Who is laughing now? Thread”

Start it off with something like this…

Classic!!!

FUBeAR
June 15th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Mercer just got an interesting commitment from a top athlete from Sweden…

https://twitter.com/hovdees/status/1404502428582613003

Insiders are telling FUBeAR that the Bears have offered these 5 Swedish Athletes also…

http://brewpublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Image-1-Swedish-Bikini-Team.jpg

FUBeAR
June 16th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Craig Haley spun his SoCon wheel this morning & it came up…

1) VMI
2) Chattanooga
3) Furman

…none of which are in a position (sez Craig’s wheel) to really matter in the FCS National Championship ‘conversation.’

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2021

FUBeAR
June 19th, 2021, 07:05 AM
With the game of Musical Chairs AKA the Transfer Portal in full swing, this should be an interesting off-season.

FUBeAR will start…

BIG PICKUP for the Mercer Bears yesterday - 1st Team FCS All-American WR/RS headed from the burg of Boiling Springs, NC to the Metropolis of Maconga…

https://twitter.com/devronharper/status/1395187200535445507

https://twitter.com/devronharper/status/1392599120741863428

Looks like the Bears picked up another of this type of hybrid Player - the 2019 SIAC Freshman of the Year - WR/RB/KR Einaj Carter transferring to Mercer from Savannah State.

https://twitter.com/category6ix/status/1405979532629352457

https://ssuathletics.com/news/2019/11/21/football-einaj-carter-named-siac-freshman-of-the-year-8-tigers-make-all-conference

Mocs123
June 22nd, 2021, 10:21 AM
Jeff Hartsell just reported that Wade Long (Wofford OC) just retired.

walliver
June 22nd, 2021, 01:14 PM
Mercer just got an interesting commitment from a top athlete from Sweden…

https://twitter.com/hovdees/status/1404502428582613003

Insiders are telling FUBeAR that the Bears have offered these 5 Swedish Athletes also…

http://brewpublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Image-1-Swedish-Bikini-Team.jpg
They'll get rich off of NIL money.

walliver
June 22nd, 2021, 01:18 PM

https://woffordterriers.com/news/2021/6/22/football-offensive-coordinator-wade-lang-announces-retirement.aspx

This was a surprise retiring immediately so close to the new season. I suspect there is something going on behind the scenes.

It is very late to bring in an outside OC, so I guess one of the offensive assistants will get the nod for this year.

Mocs123
June 22nd, 2021, 01:43 PM
I wonder if it was his choice - I assume it was.

My guess is the Terriers will move further away from the traditional TO offense they've run for years.

I still think Conklin is hoping to hop on the next train out of Spartanburg.

walliver
June 22nd, 2021, 02:48 PM
I wonder if it was his choice - I assume it was.

My guess is the Terriers will move further away from the traditional TO offense they've run for years.

I still think Conklin is hoping to hop on the next train out of Spartanburg.

Now that DC's are making million or more at P5 level, Conklin seems to be interested in every P5 job that opens up.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2021, 04:04 PM
As a Woffraud Alum, maybe he had philosophical differences with the Teary-ers bringing in a raft of JUCO’s all of a sudden. Those 2 announcements were consecutive & highly contemporaneous.

PaladinNation
June 22nd, 2021, 04:17 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1406976180457193472

The Cats
June 22nd, 2021, 04:28 PM
As a Woffraud Alum, maybe he had philosophical differences with the Teary-ers bringing in a raft of JUCO’s all of a sudden. Those 2 announcements were consecutive & highly contemporaneous.

"contemporaneous" - FUBeAR's new word this week.....

....but, if they were consecutive, can they be contemporaneous? just asking for a friend.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2021, 04:51 PM
"contemporaneous" - FUBeAR's new word this week.....

....but, if they were consecutive, can they be contemporaneous? just asking for a friend.Thank you for complimenting FUBeAR’s vocabulary. My FU English Prof’s would be proud.

Contemporaneous means generally occurring or existing in the same period of time. So, yes announcements 4 days apart, with no interceding announcements, could accurately be defined as both consecutive and contemporaneous. Ya feel me?

The Cats
June 22nd, 2021, 05:34 PM
Thank you for complimenting FUBeAR’s vocabulary. My FU English Prof’s would be proud.

Contemporaneous means generally occurring or existing in the same period of time. So, yes announcements 4 days apart, with no interceding announcements, could accurately be defined as both consecutive and contemporaneous. Ya feel me?

You may be stretching it just a tad.... but I get the idea.

Mocs123
June 23rd, 2021, 05:50 AM

I see Mercer is taking some transfers now too. That may be a result of the new landscape of college football. With the explosion of the transfer portal and the new one time transfer rule I don't see it getting any better. You almost have to take some transfers as you are going to have some kids transfer out if they don't get playing time right away and if you don't you just end up with large freshman classes and few upperclassmen. I think the number of kids that come in and pay their dues for three years before getting any significant playing time are going down quick.

Perhaps he didn't like working for a guy that wasn't a Terrier through and through. Ayers was a fixture in Spartanburg, where it appears Conklin sees it as a short term stop and is already looking for his next gig. That may be the norm at our level, but it's not the culture that Long was used to.

Mocs123
June 23rd, 2021, 05:51 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1406976180457193472

Looks nice (I mean except for all that purple!!!)

The Cats
June 23rd, 2021, 07:05 AM
Looks nice (I mean except for all that purple!!!)

This is better...... and it's the original

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B5fLxMImYtE/YNMjOu32n0I/AAAAAAAAHCY/DV1nIuXdshAmUGfrx8IWXJlsdSTejY--QCLcBGAsYHQ/s16000/wcu.JPG

ElCid
June 23rd, 2021, 10:49 PM
We are getting a new video screen. Being installed this summer. It's going to be nice and BIG! 26.5 feet high by 51.5 feet wide. There will be 4 smaller ones to the side and another small one on top of the big one. I like it. Now if we could just get the other half of the stadium built.......

https://citadelsports.com/news/2021/6/23/football-upgraded-audiovisual-experience-being-delivered-to-the-citadel-with-daktronics-equipment.aspx

Catamount87
June 24th, 2021, 09:01 AM
We are getting a new video screen. Being installed this summer. It's going to be nice and BIG! 26.5 feet high by 51.5 feet wide. There will be 4 smaller ones to the side and another small one on top of the big one. I like it. Now if we could just get the other half of the stadium built.......

https://citadelsports.com/news/2021/6/23/football-upgraded-audiovisual-experience-being-delivered-to-the-citadel-with-daktronics-equipment.aspx

That should be pretty darn nice.

Now about the one-sided stadium. Catamount fans can definitely empathize with you on your feelings about having only one side. We definitely endured it for a long, long time. At least we and visitors had beautiful mountains as a backdrop to fill the view.

Mocs123
June 24th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Nice!!!!! I think the score is wrong though. Chattanooga should be ahead :)

ElCid
June 24th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Nice!!!!! I think the score is wrong though. Chattanooga should be ahead :)

To be honest I didn't even notice that there was a score!

PaladinNation
June 24th, 2021, 11:08 AM
I think the Cat field looks sharp too! What I like about both fields (Western and Furman) is the white frame around the field.
This is a nice shot of the whole complex - based on all the unofficial player visits sharing images of the new field it's a home run for Furman!
Sorry for the quality had to do a screenshot.

walliver
June 27th, 2021, 12:40 PM

The JuCo transfers have been common knowledge for some time, only the official announcement is recent. This has raised some concerns among fans. Ayers only took in one JuCo transfer, and he was a soccer player from Spartanburg Methodist who played football as a place-kicker.

With professionalism and free-agency becoming part of the college football landscape, I suspect transfers will be much more common as many FCS programs will become farm teams for the big boys. I am not optimistic about the future of college football.

I doubt Lang left because of any one issue. He was Ayers' "Associate Head Coach" and probably was offended when passed over when Ayers retired. I also don't think he got along well with the AD. The timing of his retirement is questionable. "Retiring" at age 60 from a relatively low paying job is unusual. I think his departure was somewhat of a surprise as there does not appear to be an immediate successor announced.

FUBeAR
June 30th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Mercer picked up a nice Grad Transfer piece for their 2021 O-Line…

Middle/South Georgia native who FUBeAR expects will be a Starter, OL & Team Leader for Mercer this season. He will pair nicely with OG John Harris, who Xferred from VaTech before last Fall and was a OL stalwart for the Bears all Fall & Spring. I believe Harris rec’d some All-SoCon recognition, but he shoulda been 1st Team Media & “Coaches,” IFBO…but FUBeAR actually WATCHES OL play…as opposed to the voters who select these Teams.

https://twitter.com/draftdiamonds/status/1402009281189273604

Nice Fall 2020 Pre-Season Article about Poe…

https://hickoryrecord.com/sports/college/college-senior-spotlight-lenoir-rhyne-football-offensive-lineman-jason-poe/article_f84d5bb1-9310-52f2-b958-adf594c4b671.html

The Jacobs Blocking Trophy is presented every year to the top offensive lineman in the SAC, but it isn’t the only accolade Poe has earned each of the past two seasons. He was also named an NCAA Division II All-American in both 2018 and 2019, and was recently chosen as a 2020 Preseason All-American by multiple media sources. Additionally, he is a two-time All-Super Region 2 selection.

Libertine
July 2nd, 2021, 09:51 AM
Tangentially SoCon-related:

Former Furman player and head coach at both Furman and Mercer, Bobby Lamb, will be the inaugural head coach for D2 Anderson University in Anderson, SC. The Trojans will take the field for the first time in 2024.

FUBeAR
July 2nd, 2021, 09:56 AM
Tangentially SoCon-related:

Former Furman player and head coach at both Furman and Mercer, Bobby Lamb, will be the inaugural head coach for D2 Anderson University in Anderson, SC. The Trojans will take the field for the first time in 2024.Coach Lamb will do an outstanding job getting the Trojans’ Football program up & running. Very excited for him & his family!

PaladinNation
July 2nd, 2021, 11:20 AM
Coach Lamb will do an outstanding job getting the Trojans’ Football program up & running. Very excited for him & his family!

I really like Anderson - they do a great job with several of their programs (especially Design and Nursing).
Good luck Coach Lamb.

Reign of Terrier
July 6th, 2021, 02:27 PM
My only take about the Socon going into 2021 Fall is

1) No offense to VMI, but anyone thinking they should be the favorite, given all that they lost and how close they were to losing some games last year, is full of it. They're the 2017 ETSU. Good solid team that doesn't make mistakes, but had some luck (which lots of good, championship teams do!) in the Spring. I'm skeptical they'll have the defense to repeat.

2) We're in a brave new world. I don't feel confident in using any prior pre-Covid assumptions about who will do what against whom because the teams/players are really different than they were 2 years ago. New coaches have had more time with their players (think Mercer and Chattanooga) and more veteran teams didn't look too solid in the Spring.

3) I would only really be surprised if VMI repeated as conference champ. Everything else is open season. The Socon, I think, is on average better than it was pre-Covid because we have great coaches everywhere, and the offensive philosophies seem to be more pro-set and fundamentals oriented, and those that do run spread will do so very effectively (like VMI).

4) Now for my predictable Wofford commentary: I really would not underestimate the terriers this year (but hey, I'm biased!). Yeah, I think it's best for us in the medium or even short term if Conklin finds an opportunity elsewhere because players read the same media we do and it definitely has left some of them unsatisfied. But only a couple (very good players) have transferred off the team (probably because the transfer portal is a train wreck right now). Meanwhile, Wofford's biggest weakness in the last two seasons has been on the defensive line and its depth, and through JuCo transfers (which I think are a good thing and not why WL "retired") and others, looks like we're finally not weak there. Winning cures all ills and I think the offense will only get better over the next couple years (I didn't think WL was bad, but I don't want him running a non-option offense). If Wofford can get teams off the field (that was our kryptonite in the Spring), I think we'll be right back at it. I could see us going 3-8, given the strength of the socon and our OOC and the testiness of the locker room with Conklin; but there's enough talent and football IQ in that locker room (Conklin is a brilliant x's and o's guy, I just question his leadership) that I could also see us going 10-1. I wouldn't be surprised either way. We saw the variation of excitement and possibility in the spring when we went 1-5 and yet led by double digits in most (all? I can't remember) of our games. I'm not going to question the mental toughness of any team, but it will be in question if we fold due to adversity (which IMO would be Conklin's fault one way or another). The first month of the season will be pivotal.

The Cats
July 6th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Western went with Nike as of July 1st, and here's an intro to both Nike, the new white uniform & restyled helmet.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TvIUwoahh0

SU DOG
July 7th, 2021, 08:57 AM
NICE. That is a clean crisp look that I really like.

ElCid
July 10th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Wandering around today on a drive with my dad. Went through Travelers Rest. Drove through Furman. My dad had never been there. I hadn't been there in decades. Nice setting. He liked the stadium. I'm lucky in that I have 4 SOCON schools within 100 miles ETSU, Wofford, WCU and Furman. The last 2 are within 30 miles. UTC, Mercer and The Citadel are all just over 4 hours. The only long hauls are VMI and Samford both at 5-6 hours.

Milktruck74
July 11th, 2021, 03:21 PM
My only take about the Socon going into 2021 Fall is

1) No offense to VMI, but anyone thinking they should be the favorite, given all that they lost and how close they were to losing some games last year, is full of it. They're the 2017 ETSU. Good solid team that doesn't make mistakes, but had some luck (which lots of good, championship teams do!) in the Spring. I'm skeptical they'll have the defense to repeat.

2) We're in a brave new world. I don't feel confident in using any prior pre-Covid assumptions about who will do what against whom because the teams/players are really different than they were 2 years ago. New coaches have had more time with their players (think Mercer and Chattanooga) and more veteran teams didn't look too solid in the Spring.

3) I would only really be surprised if VMI repeated as conference champ. Everything else is open season. The Socon, I think, is on average better than it was pre-Covid because we have great coaches everywhere, and the offensive philosophies seem to be more pro-set and fundamentals oriented, and those that do run spread will do so very effectively (like VMI).

4) Now for my predictable Wofford commentary: I really would not underestimate the terriers this year (but hey, I'm biased!). Yeah, I think it's best for us in the medium or even short term if Conklin finds an opportunity elsewhere because players read the same media we do and it definitely has left some of them unsatisfied. But only a couple (very good players) have transferred off the team (probably because the transfer portal is a train wreck right now). Meanwhile, Wofford's biggest weakness in the last two seasons has been on the defensive line and its depth, and through JuCo transfers (which I think are a good thing and not why WL "retired") and others, looks like we're finally not weak there. Winning cures all ills and I think the offense will only get better over the next couple years (I didn't think WL was bad, but I don't want him running a non-option offense). If Wofford can get teams off the field (that was our kryptonite in the Spring), I think we'll be right back at it. I could see us going 3-8, given the strength of the socon and our OOC and the testiness of the locker room with Conklin; but there's enough talent and football IQ in that locker room (Conklin is a brilliant x's and o's guy, I just question his leadership) that I could also see us going 10-1. I wouldn't be surprised either way. We saw the variation of excitement and possibility in the spring when we went 1-5 and yet led by double digits in most (all? I can't remember) of our games. I'm not going to question the mental toughness of any team, but it will be in question if we fold due to adversity (which IMO would be Conklin's fault one way or another). The first month of the season will be pivotal.

I know exactly what you are feeling. I have said the same thing about my Mocs a few times over the last 10 seasons (I wouldn't be surprised if this team went 10-1 or 1-10)........ but as far as this year, 6 wins or 10 wins would not be a surprise...I really don't see a losing season....

Mocs123
July 12th, 2021, 08:42 AM
I know exactly what you are feeling. I have said the same thing about my Mocs a few times over the last 10 seasons (I wouldn't be surprised if this team went 10-1 or 1-10)........ but as far as this year, 6 wins or 10 wins would not be a surprise...I really don't see a losing season....

I think I've said this before but I see lots of parity in the SoCon this year. You used could go ahead and pencil in VMI and WCU as wins before the season started, but VMI has proven themselves to be q quality team and with the hiring of Kerwin Bell I doubt WCU will stay a doormat for long. Like RoT - I don't think the Keydets will repeat as SoCon champs in the fall, but I still think they will be strong team. As for WCU, I don't know how much talent Bell inherited, or if he'll be able to overcome the recruiting challenges in Cullowhee but I do think he's a good coach and a good coach can go a long way.

While I think top to bottom the SoCon is going to be really good (and we need to prove that by winning our OOC games!), I'm not sure if it has a clear frontrunner. I'd like to think that's the Mocs and I think we can be really good in the fall, but I'm biased and I doubt the Mocs will be #1 in the SoCon in many peoples pre-season polls.

As I said, I'm biased, but I think the Mocs can be really good and that Coach Wright is building something special. I do think that the pressure is on at least from our fanbase after stopping our season short in the spring when it looked like a SoCon title and playoff spot were within our reach. I also think we'll be under more intense pressure from other teams too as we get their best shot as stopping the season short seemed to piss everyone else off. I understand why Coach Wright did what he did and think he honestly thought it was best for his players and the program, but I also think he increased the pressure on himself and the team perhaps inadvertently. Anything short of the playoffs for the Mocs this fall has to be viewed as a disappointment.

The Cats
July 12th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Who had the best recruiting class (2021) including transfers?

Libertine
July 12th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Who had the best recruiting class (2021) including transfers?

You'll know in three to four years.

The Cats
July 12th, 2021, 02:22 PM
You'll know in three to four years.

Of course you're right. However, who - on paper - had the best recruiting class in the SoCon (including transfers)?

Libertine
July 12th, 2021, 08:53 PM
Of course you're right. However, who - on paper - had the best recruiting class in the SoCon (including transfers)?

Ah! Well, that would be the champion -- on paper. ;)

SU DOG
July 13th, 2021, 09:55 AM

Well, Samford signed 12 (announced so far, new roster not up yet) and 4 were rated 3***. That ain't bad.

Sir William
July 13th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Lots of transfers from bigger programs can mean lots of extra talent, lots of boys who understand the value of 2nd opportunities, and lots of future wins.

It can also mean lots of prima donnas, and lots of tension in the locker room, and a greater number of uncoachable players, and no more wins than previously (and maybe less).

What typically makes the real difference over the long haul is a consistent staff duration (coaches remain and build on success), solid coaching itself (both fundamentals and innovation), and the ability to recruit effectively over time.

Mocs123
July 13th, 2021, 11:54 AM
I'm not saying that the Bulldogs might not dominate the SoCon this year but Samford never seems to lack talent. I really like our class and think Coach Wright and his staff are doing good things recruiting, but as others have mentioned, you really want know how good your class is for a couple of years.

FUBeAR
July 13th, 2021, 12:55 PM
You know what’s fun & cool about SoCon Football 2021…

There is not 1 single Fanbase in the SoCon this season that doesn’t believe their Team has an excellent chance of winning the Conference. Sure, they all know things need to ‘break’ right and all that, but, if pressed (gun to head-like) I bet most every fan would say their Team IS DEFINITELY in the Top 3 and has a real good shot at the title…

* Chattanooga - “We have our sights set on a bigger title AFTER we go undefeated in the SoCon.”
* ETSU - “all we need is improved QB play & there’s really no one in the SoCon that can beat us.”
* Furman - “well, we stumbled in the Spring, but that was an anomaly. No doubt we’ll have it all together this Fall”
* Mercer - “shoulda won the Conference this Spring. Another few months under Coach Cronic and we’ll be thinking like Chatt fans”
* Samford - “we finally have enough talent & transfers to overcome our Coaching. Hard to believe, but “next year” is finally here”
* The Citadel - “OK, we struggled a bit, but did you see how we came on late & that was only half of our Team (matched our half a stadium). We are now ready to run the table this Fall.”
* VMI - “we’re VMI. We OWN the SoCon. Every other Team is playing catch-up to our new dynasty”
* WCU - “y’all know we hired Kerwin Bell, right? And we have half of Tusculum’s Team on campus right now. SoCon Championship this year is just a stepping stone on our way to FBS. We’re comin’ for ya, Appies!”
* Wofford - “sure, we quit this Spring & we lost a lot of Players & our Coaches have one foot in & one foot out, but we’re Wofford and we always can count on the influence of Coach Ayers on these men. Well that…and Uncle Jerry’s cash (NIL is a GODSEND!) + now we got JUCO’s! We might lose 1 game; just hoping we get a good draw in the Playoffs.”

FUBeAR
July 13th, 2021, 02:05 PM
CSJ guys ranks FCS…

https://twitter.com/jdwilliams23/status/1415007721506676739

SoCon…
1 - Chatt (16)
2 - VMI (17)
3 - Wofford (27)
4 - Samford (30)
5 - ETSU (32)
6 - Mercer (42)
7 - Furman (60)
8 - CIT (79)
9 - WCU (89)

…Change his mind?

ElCid
July 13th, 2021, 05:04 PM
I'm not saying that the Bulldogs might not dominate the SoCon this year but Samford never seems to lack talent. I really like our class and think Coach Wright and his staff are doing good things recruiting, but as others have mentioned, you really want know how good your class is for a couple of years.

Samford has never had a talent problem. At least for years. But it has had serious coaching issues......

Mocs123
July 14th, 2021, 05:48 AM
CSJ guys ranks FCS…

https://twitter.com/jdwilliams23/status/1415007721506676739

SoCon…
1 - Chatt (16)
2 - VMI (17)
3 - Wofford (27)
4 - Samford (30)
5 - ETSU (32)
6 - Mercer (42)
7 - Furman (60)
8 - CIT (79)
9 - WCU (89)

…Change his mind?

I get it - rankings right now are hard. 2019 was a long time ago, and I'm not sure what we saw in the spring was the whole picture, but Furman at #7 in the SoCon? That seems too low to me. The Citadel has lost a bunch of games the past year, but I don't think they were playing with a full roster. At least I agree with him on the top pick!

I think we'll see a lot of variation in pre-season picks (more than normal) and it will take 4-5 weeks for the dust to settle and see what teams really have and where they fit in the rankings. Until then picks will be slightly educated guesses.

Mocs123
July 14th, 2021, 05:50 AM
Samford has never had a talent problem. At least for years. But it has had serious coaching issues......

Hatcher's style of play will keep Samford a middle of the pack SoCon team. They will be dangerous and be able to beat anyone when things go right, but they will also lose to teams they shouldn't when things aren't clicking.

PaladinNation
July 14th, 2021, 05:28 PM
well - the Dins have two of the top twenty teams at home - let's go!!!

PaladinNation
July 14th, 2021, 05:42 PM
Concerning recruiting - I agree it's the long game on how things play out.
Furman's 2021 roster is the largest roster I can remember. CCH and staff worked hard to bring in a big PWO class along with the scholarship signees.
By my count Furman has 41 true freshmen plus one redshirt transfer on the roster.
Based on accolades and offers (25) I'd expect DE Bryce Stanfield (Acworth, GA) to see the field a lot.
Furman's success is going to come down to improved QB play — with QBs now on the roster will we see competition and friggin' opening up the playbook?
What Clay's fingers back in the OL (thank you) how much will the OL improve with a mix of young and vet players? I think we could see a nasty center from Texas take some snaps.

Bear might not want to state an opinion - but I'd love to know what he thinks about the line play last season for the Dins?

caribbeanhen
July 14th, 2021, 07:57 PM
My money is on Kerwin Bell putting that Carolina team on the FCS map pretty quickly

Mike296
July 14th, 2021, 08:18 PM
My money is on Kerwin Bell putting that Carolina team on the FCS map pretty quickly

I got my money on that turnaround being like what happened with us and Healey(who’s now at UNCC) where it’s quicker than people expect it to be.

FUBeAR
July 14th, 2021, 10:00 PM
OK…so, not 9th then. Where you got ‘em in the SoCon standings?

If they don’t make the HC change they did, FUBeAR would have already inked in the Catamounts for 9th. Now…dunno. He can Coach & he’s bringing in some key Plug’n’Play pieces on O. O hasn’t really been WCU’s primary weakness though. Can an EXTREMELY Offensive-Minded HC (HatcherExtra, IMO) turn that D around? Does he need to? Maybe they’ll just outscore every Team in a Track Meet. Saw him Coach a heckuva track meet game in Maconga in 2013…came up a wee bit short of the tape in that event though. Gonna be FUN!

All these SoCon Teams and their Fans have so much to be excited about (on paper) heading into the season. At least 5 of them are going to be so disappointed at season’s end though…gonna be fun. Did I mention that?

Mocs123
July 15th, 2021, 06:04 AM
Bell may turn WCU around quickly - in addition to the Healey example at APSU, Russ Huesman turned a 1-11 Chattanooga team to 6-5 overnight so it happens, but who else do you put at #9? I think every SoCon team has a reason to be excited about this season and you could make an argument for any of them being in the top half of the rankings, but obviously some team is going to be in 9th place, and right now in my mind, WCU is the biggest question mark. I'll certainly be pulling for them against EKU and Gardner Webb and want all SoCon teams to win their OOC games.

Libertine
July 15th, 2021, 09:36 AM
OK…so, not 9th then. Where you got ‘em in the SoCon standings?

If they don’t make the HC change they did, FUBeAR would have already inked in the Catamounts for 9th. Now…dunno.

I'd still have Western at 9th this year just based on when the coaching change was made.

Under normal circumstances, Bell would have had an entire offseason of conditioning and a full spring practice to install scheme and culture. But, Bell wasn't hired until the end of April and didn't even have a full coaching staff until mid-May. Essentially, WCU is going to be about six months behind on their rebuild. I think you're going to see glimpses of good things for them as the season progresses, but their schedule does them no favors as their last four games are essentially a checklist of recent SoCon champions. I think Cat fans are going to have a lot to look forward to in 2022 and beyond but I would temper my expectations for this season.

SU DOG
July 17th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Samford's roster came out yesterday. I looked at the last game(Mercer) for Samford starters, and I only find 2 that are not returning. One was our PK, who is predicted to be the main specialist for the Perdue Boilermakers, and the other is an OL. Add to that the fact that the signing class, including xfers, has SIX 3*** players, and I don't think many FCS teams can equal that.

What Hatcher can do with this talent, what stars mean, or years to tell about signees is NOT part of the crux of this post. I am simply replying to the question posed by The Cats.

FUBeAR
July 17th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Samford's roster came out yesterday. I looked at the last game(Mercer) for Samford starters, and I only find 2 that are not returning. One was our PK, who is predicted to be the main specialist for the Perdue Boilermakers, and the other is an OL. Add to that the fact that the signing class, including xfers, has SIX 3*** players, and I don't think many FCS teams can equal that.Clearly an unstoppable juggernaut. SHSU’s dynasty will be short-lived & NDSU’s drought will extend at least another year.

But…what about Chatt? Can the SoCon have Co-National Champions this season?

SU DOG
July 17th, 2021, 01:57 PM
No problem. We will leave off UTC and play Wofford twice!

The Cats
July 19th, 2021, 11:48 AM
The 2021 Football Media Day will air on ESPN+ on July 27 at 10 a.m. ET

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6q_6pDXoAEoKiB?format=jpg&name=900x900

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 19th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Bell may turn WCU around quickly - in addition to the Healey example at APSU, Russ Huesman turned a 1-11 Chattanooga team to 6-5 overnight so it happens, but who else do you put at #9? I think every SoCon team has a reason to be excited about this season and you could make an argument for any of them being in the top half of the rankings, but obviously some team is going to be in 9th place, and right now in my mind, WCU is the biggest question mark. I'll certainly be pulling for them against EKU and Gardner Webb and want all SoCon teams to win their OOC games.

and the same thing happened at ETSU when Randy Sanders in his first year got ETSU their first SoCon FB title in program history and followed that up with having Jacksonville State on the ropes in the first round until ETSU ran out of gas.

Mocs123
July 20th, 2021, 06:09 AM
and the same thing happened at ETSU when Randy Sanders in his first year got ETSU their first SoCon FB title in program history and followed that up with having Jacksonville State on the ropes in the first round until ETSU ran out of gas.

True, Randy Sanders led the Bucs on the great run they had in 2018, then of course he followed that up with his 2019 season :) To me the jury is still out on Randy Sanders - maybe he's a great program builder, or maybe he's a one hit wonder. The spring 2020 season probably looked reasonably promising for Buc fans though.

Smitty
July 24th, 2021, 10:32 PM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UtLy1T_bEAY/YPzDrzYRQjI/AAAAAAAAHOs/NbKYdG2NO5ongai3_vgf_oV7upbhkny8QCLcBGAsYHQ/s16000/new%2Blook.JPG

It looks like this will be the uniforms for WCU this year. One of the bigger changes is numbers on the side of the helmet.

Libertine
July 25th, 2021, 12:12 AM
One of the bigger changes is numbers on the side of the helmet.

I'll give +20 points for adding numbers to the helmet but -500 points for keeping The Simpson's puma.

Mocs123
July 26th, 2021, 11:14 AM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UtLy1T_bEAY/YPzDrzYRQjI/AAAAAAAAHOs/NbKYdG2NO5ongai3_vgf_oV7upbhkny8QCLcBGAsYHQ/s16000/new%2Blook.JPG

It looks like this will be the uniforms for WCU this year. One of the bigger changes is numbers on the side of the helmet.

I like the new helmets a lot better than the old ones.

Reign of Terrier
July 26th, 2021, 12:55 PM
So, the coaches and media both have Wofford finishing 7th or worse.

I'm not bullish enough to say we'll win the socon, but that's such a monstrously bad prediction/forecast, given what Wofford has coming back (most of the team from the last couple of years). Even though we sucked in the Spring, we led every game by two scores and were depleted on the DL.

I just don't see how you can draw the inference that we're going to be bottom tier (relative to the rest of the conference), given everything we saw. I understand there's stuff going on behind the scenes, but man, it would make me bump Wofford down from top tier to middle tier, not begging for scraps.

The Cats
July 26th, 2021, 04:13 PM
https://twitter.com/SoConSports/status/1420096656478019589

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1419764205532680193/KD7Z3emb?format=jpg&name=small

https://spark.adobe.com/page/D993Bs15ER9fP/?w=0_1379 (https://spark.adobe.com/page/D993Bs15ER9fP/?w=0_1379)

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2021, 06:50 PM
So, the coaches and media both have Wofford finishing 7th or worse.

I'm not bullish enough to say we'll win the socon, but that's such a monstrously bad prediction/forecast, given what Wofford has coming back (most of the team from the last couple of years). Even though we sucked in the Spring, we led every game by two scores and were depleted on the DL.

I just don't see how you can draw the inference that we're going to be bottom tier (relative to the rest of the conference), given everything we saw. I understand there's stuff going on behind the scenes, but man, it would make me bump Wofford down from top tier to middle tier, not begging for scraps.
Yeah, it almost would make you think Woffraud has lost 5 of their last 6 games. Oh…wait.

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Yeah, it almost would make you think Woffraud has lost 5 of their last 6 games. Oh…wait.

Yet we haven't been picked this low in like 20 years, in spite of having much worse performances.

I bet $100 we finish higher than 7th. I'd go for $1000, but that's a lot of money for me lol

FUBeAR
July 27th, 2021, 12:51 PM
Yet we haven't been picked this low in like 20 years, in spite of having much worse performances.

I bet $100 we finish higher than 7th. I'd go for $1000, but that's a lot of money for me lolThe last time Woffraud had a run where the Teary-ers lost 5 of 6 games was 2009 when they finished next-to-last in the SoCon.

Recency of finish-in-the-standings bias supports your assertion of where your Team will finish in 2021.

OTOH, Woffraud recent on-field performance (W’s vs. L’s), historically corollated, supports the Coaches’ & Media’s current projections of where the LittleDogs will finish in 2021.

One can COVID-qualify or New Offense-qualify recent performance or JUCO/Transfers-now-qualify higher expectations, but those mitigations can be countered by citing Star-Player-departures and Coach-desiring-departure arguments. Wins / Losses & Standings are the most relevant and most tangible ranking projections criteria.

Personally, FUBeAR would rank WC from #1 to #9 in the SoCon…the same ranking I would give the other 8 Teams.

Absolutely no clue this year.

Reign of Terrier
July 28th, 2021, 10:43 AM
The last time Woffraud had a run where the Teary-ers lost 5 of 6 games was 2009 when they finished next-to-last in the SoCon.

Recency of finish-in-the-standings bias supports your assertion of where your Team will finish in 2021.

OTOH, Woffraud recent on-field performance (W’s vs. L’s), historically corollated, supports the Coaches’ & Media’s current projections of where the LittleDogs will finish in 2021.

One can COVID-qualify or New Offense-qualify recent performance or JUCO/Transfers-now-qualify higher expectations, but those mitigations can be countered by citing Star-Player-departures and Coach-desiring-departure arguments. Wins / Losses & Standings are the most relevant and most tangible ranking projections criteria.

Personally, FUBeAR would rank WC from #1 to #9 in the SoCon…the same ranking I would give the other 8 Teams.

Even if you assume the whole 5 of 6 losses thing, in 2010, the immediate season after that stretch, Wofford was still picked 5th and 6th by the media and coaches, respectively. It makes no sense to rank them less now.

https://soconsports.com/news/2010/7/26/204970765.aspx
https://soconsports.com/news/2010/7/26/204970850.aspx

FUBeAR
July 28th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Even if you assume the whole 5 of 6 losses thing, in 2010, the immediate season after that stretch, Wofford was still picked 5th and 6th by the media and coaches, respectively. It makes no sense to rank them less now.

https://soconsports.com/news/2010/7/26/204970765.aspx
https://soconsports.com/news/2010/7/26/204970850.aspxWe don’t have to “assume” the 5 of 6 “thing.” Woffraud has, in fact, lost 5 of the most recent 6 games that they have been willing to play. IMO, they should have Losses recorded in 8 of their last 9 games (to include 3 more L’s to ETSU, WCU, and FU), and I would have projected actual Losses in at least 2 of those 3 games, if the AnkleBiters had been willing to play.

Perhaps the Voters/Rankers considered these facts, along with the Player departures & the Head Coach’s desire to depart, and weighted those situations more heavily negative than the (potential) positive impact of picking up a few JUCO’s to flesh out the roster.

You may be right & the Teary-ers may dominate & win the SoCon in 2021, but you really can’t/shouldn’t excoriate (as you have been) the rankers/voters for looking at the recent data / recent events and seeing Woffraud Football looking a lot more like 2009 than 2019.

Milktruck74
July 28th, 2021, 03:19 PM

I tend to agree with you on about half of the 35% of things you seem to know a little about and about 25% of the statistics that you make up on the spot....but on this statement, FuBear will get no argument from me!!! Every fan base has something to be excited about and at this point everybody is undefeated with the same shot at the title!

FUBeAR
July 29th, 2021, 08:42 AM
I tend to agree with you on about half of the 35% of things you seem to know a little about and about 25% of the statistics that you make up on the spot....but on this statement, FuBear will get no argument from me!!! Every fan base has something to be excited about and at this point everybody is undefeated with the same shot at the title!your assertions are 99 & 44/100ths percent accurate.

SU DOG
July 29th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Impressive that Chattanooga has 2 OL on this list. That will make it even more impressive when Samford finally breaks the Moc's jinx. LOL!

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2021-best-returning-offensive-linemen-bzbz/

FUBeAR
July 29th, 2021, 09:58 AM
Impressive that Chattanooga has 2 OL on this list. That will make it even more impressive when Samford finally breaks the Moc's jinx. LOL!

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2021-best-returning-offensive-linemen-bzbz/So…you’re expecting the ChattaQuitta Mocks to actually show up in Homewood on 10/23? We’ll see, I guess.

SU DOG
July 29th, 2021, 10:09 AM
With our record vs UTC, I should hope that they will not show up. However, I'm drowning in Kool-Aid about this year's Samford Team.

FUBeAR
July 29th, 2021, 11:29 AM
With our record vs UTC, I should hope that they will not show up. However, I'm drowning in Kool-Aid about this year's Samford Team.
Live Look-in @ SU DOG’s backyard patio…
https://tacprafan.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/dillon_kool_aid.jpg?w=584
https://www.giantbomb.com/a/uploads/scale_small/0/26/9976-koolaidman.jpg

kdinva
July 29th, 2021, 11:47 AM
SoCon's "NexStar" games of the week:

https://soconsports.com/news/2021/7/28/socon-nexstar-football-package-announced.aspx

Sept. 4 – North Carolina A&T at Furman, 2 p.m.
Sept. 4 – Eastern Kentucky at Western Carolina, 6 p.m.
Sept. 11 – Charleston Southern at The Citadel, 2 p.m.
Sept. 18 – Samford at Western Carolina, 2:30 p.m.
Sept. 25 – Wofford at VMI, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 2 – VMI at The Citadel, 2 p.m.
Oct. 9 – The Citadel at ETSU, 4:30 p.m.
Oct. 16 – ETSU at Chattanooga, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 23 – Wofford at Mercer, 6 p.m.

ElCid
July 29th, 2021, 12:28 PM
SoCon's "NexStar" games of the week:

https://soconsports.com/news/2021/7/28/socon-nexstar-football-package-announced.aspx

Sept. 4 – North Carolina A&T at Furman, 2 p.m.
Sept. 4 – Eastern Kentucky at Western Carolina, 6 p.m.
Sept. 11 – Charleston Southern at The Citadel, 2 p.m.
Sept. 18 – Samford at Western Carolina, 2:30 p.m.
Sept. 25 – Wofford at VMI, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 2 – VMI at The Citadel, 2 p.m.
Oct. 9 – The Citadel at ETSU, 4:30 p.m.
Oct. 16 – ETSU at Chattanooga, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 23 – Wofford at Mercer, 6 p.m.

Wow, we are in three times. Two games I wasn't going to so bonus to see them on regular tv.

FUBeAR
July 29th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Wow, we are in three times. Two games I wasn't going to so bonus to see them on regular tv.
NexStar production crew must prefer knowing their bags will be well-handled by bellhops highly experienced in such activities.

ElCid
July 29th, 2021, 05:46 PM
NexStar production crew must prefer knowing their bags will be well-handled by bellhops highly experienced in such activities.

Nope. They know quality when they see it. It's as simple as that.

SU DOG
July 30th, 2021, 07:38 AM
I don't know much about this, but Samford is apparently using some advanced technology with our athletes. Supposedly, this will provide a competitive edge. I hope that is true because I think this project required a substantial donor investment. I have heard that Bama uses this or something similar. Interesting video with more info in the article.

https://www.samford.edu/news/2021/07/Project-SAMson-Boosts-Athlete-Performance-Experiential-Learning

Libertine
July 30th, 2021, 01:32 PM
I don't know much about this, but Samford is apparently using some advanced technology with our athletes. Supposedly, this will provide a competitive edge. I hope that is true because I think this project required a substantial donor investment. I have heard that Bama uses this or something similar. Interesting video with more info in the article.

https://www.samford.edu/news/2021/07/Project-SAMson-Boosts-Athlete-Performance-Experiential-Learning

This sounds like biometric monitoring. This has been done in international soccer for quite some time but it's only started making its way into American football in about the last 5-6 years. Basically, they put a wearable device with built-in GPS on the athlete, typically during practice, that tracks their movement and their vital signs combined with Wifi that sends the data back to a sideline monitor in real time. It's great for player safety because coaches and medical staff can look at the data and figure out the physical stresses and fatigues that particular drills or actions put on particular players and, if need be, restructure their practices or substitution patterns accordingly. There's a few products on the market that do this but none of them are cheap. It appears that Samford has built their own homegrown version.

The "competitive edge" part is, I think, a little bit misleading to the average fan. If the coach is paying attention to and willing to adapt to the data, players are statistically less likely to get injured in practice which is where most injuries tend to happen. Keeping players on the field and out of the training room obviously is a huge plus and you could certainly consider that a competitive advantage, but it's not like using this system will dramatically transform good players into superstars or bench guys into starters outside of the fact that they would presumably get more consistent training and experience and less time recovering from injury.

PaladinNation
July 31st, 2021, 07:30 AM
I don't think this part of the off-season has been mentioned >recruiting < last season was a unique recruiting season without official visits.

IMO - this season's recruiting is critical to the Clay Hendrix program. Furman's last two recruiting classes "on paper" looked like the kinda classes that Furman needed.

Bigger athletic players, playmakers, and depth (PWOs). I've been bullish on this last two classes based on the level of HS competition and other offers. In the spring season we had a couple of glimpses of talent (Kendall Thomas against VMI) but Furman's offensive inconsistency and lack of QB depth — I'll say it Furman took a step backwards.

Coming off the only losing season in the Hendrix era would Furman's early fast starts to recruiting keep happening? As well as would Furman continue to beat out other SoCon, CAA, OVC, and ASUN schools.

Would love to know how other SoCon schools are doing? Furman as of today has 6 public confirmed commits and at least 2 possibly 3 more that are not confirmed yet by the players. Furman every year seems to get a couple of players that commit early and those players jump into social channels (twitter) and are very active in conversations with other offered Furman players.

The biggest commit so far is Charles Ingram V a 3 star athlete (DB/RB) from Ensworth HS (TN). Ingram had offers from Syracuse, Kansas, Richmond, EKU, and Harvard plus a bunch of other FCS schools.

Tre McLeod, Safety from Darlington, SC Other offers; Air Force, Navy, Army, Kennesaw, Old Dominion, Wofford, Fordham

Both OL commits have lots of offers ranging from Jacksonville St, Elon, Richmond, and the usual - all the academies. One of the linemen Epperson Maddox continues the Texas pipeline, Maddox plays for powerhouse Aledo HS.

Possible the most important commit for Furman, is taking care of business and getting Maryville HS quarterback Carson Jones (6-1, 205) to choose Furman over Mercer (Furman OC George Quarles coached at Maryville). Jones is ranked 13th in the Tennessee top 30, he's decided to end his recruiting early. Jones fits the prototype Furman QB, can run and pass, and takes care of the ball. In the spring completed 77% of his passes, 22 touchdowns, 1 interception - and, he's taller than 6-0, ha!

SU DOG
July 31st, 2021, 11:27 AM
This sounds like biometric monitoring. This has been done in international soccer for quite some time but it's only started making its way into American football in about the last 5-6 years. Basically, they put a wearable device with built-in GPS on the athlete, typically during practice, that tracks their movement and their vital signs combined with Wifi that sends the data back to a sideline monitor in real time. It's great for player safety because coaches and medical staff can look at the data and figure out the physical stresses and fatigues that particular drills or actions put on particular players and, if need be, restructure their practices or substitution patterns accordingly. There's a few products on the market that do this but none of them are cheap. It appears that Samford has built their own homegrown version.

The "competitive edge" part is, I think, a little bit misleading to the average fan. If the coach is paying attention to and willing to adapt to the data, players are statistically less likely to get injured in practice which is where most injuries tend to happen. Keeping players on the field and out of the training room obviously is a huge plus and you could certainly consider that a competitive advantage, but it's not like using this system will dramatically transform good players into superstars or bench guys into starters outside of the fact that they would presumably get more consistent training and experience and less time recovering from injury.

Thanks for that info. I believe that Samford is the only SoCon school currently using this technology. It fits well with the mentioned Samford Center for Sports Analytics that was founded in 2017. This is also a cutting-edge program that isn't found almost anywhere else. I know that some NFL teams, along with other professional leagues have made use of this Samford resource that has collected data from over 6 million fans. I am proud of the fact that my school has found ways to integrate athletics with academia. Here is a link to a very short video that describes the Samford Center for Sports Analytics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNkpTYO--_k

ElCid
July 31st, 2021, 01:41 PM
Awesome rundown by Spike on returning starters this fall for entire SOCON. He has done superior work in lots of number crunching articles concerning SOCON teams.

https://thesportsarsenal.com/

Mocs123
August 2nd, 2021, 07:33 AM
I don't think this part of the off-season has been mentioned >recruiting < last season was a unique recruiting season without official visits.

IMO - this season's recruiting is critical to the Clay Hendrix program. Furman's last two recruiting classes "on paper" looked like the kinda classes that Furman needed.

Bigger athletic players, playmakers, and depth (PWOs). I've been bullish on this last two classes based on the level of HS competition and other offers. In the spring season we had a couple of glimpses of talent (Kendall Thomas against VMI) but Furman's offensive inconsistency and lack of QB depth — I'll say it Furman took a step backwards.

Coming off the only losing season in the Hendrix era would Furman's early fast starts to recruiting keep happening? As well as would Furman continue to beat out other SoCon, CAA, OVC, and ASUN schools.

Would love to know how other SoCon schools are doing? Furman as of today has 6 public confirmed commits and at least 2 possibly 3 more that are not confirmed yet by the players. Furman every year seems to get a couple of players that commit early and those players jump into social channels (twitter) and are very active in conversations with other offered Furman players.

The biggest commit so far is Charles Ingram V a 3 star athlete (DB/RB) from Ensworth HS (TN). Ingram had offers from Syracuse, Kansas, Richmond, EKU, and Harvard plus a bunch of other FCS schools.

Tre McLeod, Safety from Darlington, SC Other offers; Air Force, Navy, Army, Kennesaw, Old Dominion, Wofford, Fordham

Both OL commits have lots of offers ranging from Jacksonville St, Elon, Richmond, and the usual - all the academies. One of the linemen Epperson Maddox continues the Texas pipeline, Maddox plays for powerhouse Aledo HS.

Possible the most important commit for Furman, is taking care of business and getting Maryville HS quarterback Carson Jones (6-1, 205) to choose Furman over Mercer (Furman OC George Quarles coached at Maryville). Jones is ranked 13th in the Tennessee top 30, he's decided to end his recruiting early. Jones fits the prototype Furman QB, can run and pass, and takes care of the ball. In the spring completed 77% of his passes, 22 touchdowns, 1 interception - and, he's taller than 6-0, ha!

Chattanooga currently has no known commitments, and the past couple of years the Mocs have not gotten any commitments early - I'm not sure if that's by design or not. I do know this past cycle that we encouraged a couple of kids to not post their commitment on social media until after signing day, even though they had been committed for some time due to the fear that someone would come and steal them away.

FUBeAR
August 2nd, 2021, 05:21 PM
https://twitter.com/utchattanooga/status/1422288506215452685

ChattaQuitta laying the early ground work for another ‘opt out’ this season?

Asking for 8 friends.

PaladinNation
August 2nd, 2021, 09:21 PM
Mocs123 you make an interesting point.
Furman has done a great job keeping players committed -but-
they did lose one last year to Kansas, and the previous year one to Miami of Ohio.
Social media and recruiting is pretty interesting mix.
The DM offers by school's are getting more complex and are very well designed.
And the players 'committed edits' are now a business.

Back to Furman…
The last couple of years Furman has expanded its recruiting footprint.
The 2021 roster has 8 players from Texas, add at least one more to the 2022 roster.

The Dins picked up a DB from Indiana today -
had offers from all three academies, Kent St, Elon, and Ind St.
A lineman from Ohio committed on the 31st.

rtzlunar
August 3rd, 2021, 09:56 AM
https://twitter.com/utchattanooga/status/1422288506215452685

ChattaQuitta laying the early ground work for another ‘opt out’ this season?

Asking for 8 friends.

Hilarious post!!!

Like you have 8 friends. 😉

Libertine
August 3rd, 2021, 01:35 PM
Western Carolina has added yet another assistant coach from Tusculum. Cody Edwards was the DC at TC, now is a defensive analyst for the Catamounts.

SU DOG
August 7th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Reddit SoCon Power Rankings. Lots to argue about:

SoCon 2021 Preseason Power Ranking Results : fcs (reddit.com) (https://old.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/oyjh5h/socon_2021_preseason_power_ranking_results/)

FUBeAR
August 7th, 2021, 08:49 PM
Reddit SoCon Power Rankings. Lots to argue about:

SoCon 2021 Preseason Power Ranking Results : fcs (reddit.com) (https://old.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/oyjh5h/socon_2021_preseason_power_ranking_results/)
So this is the opinion of 10 random guys weighing in from their Moms’ basements…2 of them ETSU fans…and the other 8 having non-SoCon schools as their Fav FCS Team.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fPmC39vBOk84ReE4tG4EldYXxjyN-CA-gAOpYQVUUY/edit?usp=sharing.

The Cats
August 8th, 2021, 10:54 AM
https://twitter.com/Catamounts/status/1424393219228545029

SU DOG
August 8th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Samford has definitely underperformed in the SoCon considering the talent level of our Bulldogs. I don't expect too much respect because Samford hasn't earned it. This year's team may have more talent than any Hatcher has had. How that relates to the W's is to be seen. To be ranked sixth, however is indicative of very little research. The 7 comments somewhat challenged their Samford standing. While we have miserably performed, Samford has NEVER finished that low in the years that Hatcher has been here. If this year's team finishes 6th in the SoCon, then heads should roll immediately. BTW, I don't think Furman sees a 7th place either. List should have been labeled "for entertainment purposes only."

SU DOG
August 8th, 2021, 11:19 AM
This morning Samford's greatest football legend went home to Heaven where he certainly is receiving his unthinkable reward. R I P Coach Bobby Bowden, Samford QB and Coach married to a Samford cheerleader. A great man who meant so much to so many.

The Cats
August 8th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Samford has definitely underperformed in the SoCon considering the talent level of our Bulldogs. I don't expect too much respect because Samford hasn't earned it. This year's team may have more talent than any Hatcher has had. How that relates to the W's is to be seen. To be ranked sixth, however is indicative of very little research. The 7 comments somewhat challenged their Samford standing. While we have miserably performed, Samford has NEVER finished that low in the years that Hatcher has been here. If this year's team finishes 6th in the SoCon, then heads should roll immediately. BTW, I don't think Furman sees a 7th place either. List should have been labeled "for entertainment purposes only."

Did you read FUBeAR's reply above? The poll is a total joke from the word go. Don't take it seriously, no one else does, except maybe the VMI fan.

ElCid
August 8th, 2021, 10:51 PM
I am optimistic about our season. We have a lot of good players back, like everyone, some that we didn't have in the spring, and a bunch who cut their teeth last spring filling holes, for an entire conf slate.

In regard to new players, we have one with a bit of buzz at BBack. Our BBack stable is crowded with talent already. But a new one is getting some attention. Elijah Bass, a 24-year-old Marine day student who walked on this summer and was immediately one of the fastest players on the team at 6-0 and 220 pounds. I don't ever recall a vet day student playing football, but who knows. But I like the idea of a big, strong Marine pounding it up the middle. Not sure of his football skills. Someone on our board said he was a lacrosse player mostly.

Our presumptive QB is back as a RS Soph. He is quick enough, but hopefully his passing skills will improve. We don't have a lot of experience depth at QB.

Defense looks pretty good with a couple playmakers back who missed some or all of the spring.

We got our ace punter back as well.

As usual, we ended up picked in the bottom third by coaches and media. I think we ended up there in our Conf title years so I never give much credence to them. We will know soon enough.

Mocs123
August 9th, 2021, 07:36 AM
Honestly I think even the best pre-season poll is a crapshoot, particularly this year since I'm not sure how much stock you can place in 2020 games or spring 2021 games. I'm sure many are going back to 2019 for reference and so did I but lots of things have changed since 2019.

I think fans of all SoCon schools have reason to be excited and strong on their team. It seems like most every team in the SoCon is on their way up. A few years ago you could count on WCU and VMI as easy wins, but VMI has already proven they are a contender and WCU has made an commitment to football I've not seen them make before with the hiring of Kerwin Bell. Do the Catamounts have the talent to win the SoCon in 2021? - I doubt it, but I don't think a winning season is out of the question and after the past few years, that would be huge in Cullowhee.

You could certainly make an argument for 4-5 different teams to be ranked #1 in the conference, and I do think there is a lot of parity in the SoCon right now. That makes it especially important that we win OOC games so we can get multiple teams in the playoffs as I imagine we'll beat each other up in conference play.

kdinva
August 9th, 2021, 08:59 AM
Did you read FUBeAR's reply above? The poll is a total joke from the word go. Don't take it seriously, no one else does, except maybe the VMI fan.

VMI does have to replace five starters on defense, but I am optimistic/confident the Keydets will finish in the top 4.

walliver
August 9th, 2021, 11:34 AM
I don't really know what to expect this year. With co-offensive coordinators, I don't know who will be calling our offense. This is now Conklin's team with his coached and his players so we will see how he does. If he is successful, he will likely get one of the well-paying DC jobs he keeps applying for.

I am just hoping the the Delta Variant (a neat name for a SciFi novel) doesn't screw up the fall football experience.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 9th, 2021, 01:37 PM
So this is the opinion of 10 random guys weighing in from their Moms’ basements…2 of them ETSU fans…and the other 8 having non-SoCon schools as their Fav FCS Team.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fPmC39vBOk84ReE4tG4EldYXxjyN-CA-gAOpYQVUUY/edit?usp=sharing.

I don't know about you, but this ETSU fan/alum would never in good conscience place Chattaquitta ahead of his alma mater.

Reign of Terrier
August 9th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Unlike the other polls I've talked smack about, that reddit one makes the mistake of having Wofford 4 and Samford 5.

Folks, if it's that close and you know history...Samford will have the tie breaker over us :(

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't get the Mercer love!

ElCid
August 9th, 2021, 03:27 PM

They got good PR. Team has been, eh, ok. But they got great PR.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 9th, 2021, 03:45 PM

Heck, I still don't get how Chattyland managed to get the top spot in the preseason media/coaches polls. On the strength of what, a 3-1 season with their season ending falling flat on their keesters against Mercer the Merciless and subsequently pulling the plug?

Reign of Terrier
August 9th, 2021, 03:57 PM
Heck, I still don't get how Chattyland managed to get the top spot in the preseason media/coaches polls. On the strength of what, a 3-1 season with their season ending falling flat on their keesters against Mercer the Merciless and subsequently pulling the plug?

I mean, they didn't play their starters in that game. Either way, there's more evidence of Chattanooga being good than Mercer being average (not to say Mercer can't or won't be, just that what the evidence we are going off says)

FUBeAR
August 9th, 2021, 10:17 PM
there's more evidence of Chattanooga being good than Mercer being average…just that what the evidence we are going off says
As you were unable or unwilling to grasp the clear-cut “evidence” as to why Woffraud was ranked near the bottom of the SoCon by both the SoCon Coaches (8th) & the SoCon Media (7th), I felt compelled, as a deed of service, to take the time to lay out that evidence for you in Posts #107, #109, and #111 in this thread. I hope that was helpful for you.

To continue FUBeAR’s benevolent service to you, I will carefully review the evidence for Mercer’s rankings for your ongoing elucidation.

As was the case with Woffraud’s well-deserved low ranking, the concept of “recency” must be grasped to understand why Mercer is ranked middle-of-the-pack. In 3 of the the Bears’ most recent 4 games, the Men of Macon consecutively defeated the #9, #17, and #20 nationally ranked FCS Teams, the highest ranked of those on the road. The Bears held double-digit leads in 2 of those 3 games. All 3 of those Teams are ranked ahead of Mercer in both pre-season polls despite the fact that Mercer has the most returnees who have started multiple games (37) in the SoCon.

Nay, young Teary-ier fan; the question the evidence should be leading ye to ask thyself is why Mercer is not ranked higher than they are.

Milktruck74
August 10th, 2021, 06:53 PM
I'm loving all the hate toward my Mocs...back in the old news print days it was called "bulletin board" material....it would end up pinned in the locker room as "motivation" for the upcoming week....I am glad so many of our conference foes are willing to help hype up our kids!!!! Please, keep it up!!!

FUBeAR
August 10th, 2021, 08:26 PM
I'm loving all the hate toward my Mocs...back in the old news print days it was called "bulletin board" material....it would end up pinned in the locker room as "motivation" for the upcoming week....I am glad so many of our conference foes are willing to help hype up our kids!!!! Please, keep it up!!!
So, you’re saying there was not enough ‘negative ink’ last Spring to keep the ChattaQuitta Players interested enough to show up for their scheduled Football games, I guess.

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2021, 06:59 AM
Hendrix and staff have put a lot of effort into building a team with a focus on depth. Clay has mentioned several times in post spring interviews the Furman depth advantage didn't come into play as much as they thought it would. (I do think Furman wore Samford down) With a loaded first part of the season, playing in the heat we're going to find out pretty quickly if this depth has talent.

This interview with Furman DC Duane Vaughn is interesting. First, I don't think I've ever heard an FU coach recorded saying the word pissed. Vaughn's emphasis on depth and accountability. I also believe Vaughn is underrated as defensive coach, he's still a young coach, but I think he's got something special in the works with the Furman defense.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1425133168475136007

caribbeanhen
August 11th, 2021, 07:29 AM
I love checking in on SoCo thread.. always entertaining

I think I commented on Wofford last year getting away from TO style offense and how that was not going to work out....

I know, it’s a work in progress.....

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 12th, 2021, 08:58 AM

As an ETSU fan/alum who was miffed over the fact that ETSU did not make the playoffs because two teams (looking at you Chattaquitta and Woffraud (thanks FUBEAR)) chose to play the Covid card to drop the balance of their seasons, that by itself is plenty of motivation for the Bucs to roll into Finley with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders.

FUBeAR
August 12th, 2021, 10:25 AM
As an ETSU fan/alum who was miffed over the fact that ETSU did not make the playoffs because two teams (looking at you Chattaquitta and Woffraud (thanks FUBEAR)) chose to play the Covid card to drop the balance of their seasons, that by itself is plenty of motivation for the Bucs to roll into Finley with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders.Thanks for the props. I’ll take credit for the “Woffraud Teary-ers” and, perhaps, for using “MocKs” vs. “Mocs,” but I believe “The Cats” originated “ChattaQuitta”…and, in doing so, inspired my coinage of “Woffraud.”

NOTE: FUBeAR may (or may not…not sure yet) drop usage of these apropos monikers once these 2 Teams decide that they can be bothered to show up for their scheduled SoCon games in 2021.

SU DOG
August 13th, 2021, 05:47 PM
This video is a couple of weeks old, but provides some excitement and hope for Samford fans.

Gridiron | Sports Performance Update - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEdrmU_PSHs)

FUBeAR
August 13th, 2021, 06:18 PM
This video is a couple of weeks old, but provides some excitement and hope for Samford fans.

Gridiron | Sports Performance Update - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEdrmU_PSHs)
Project Samson?

Samson prays for strength and God gives him strength to break the pillars, causing the temple to collapse, killing him and the people inside.

xeyebrowx…seems the Homewood Hounds would be looking to distance themselves from late collapses and self-destruction after last spring.

Milktruck74
August 14th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the props. I’ll take credit for the “Woffraud Teary-ers” and, perhaps, for using “MocKs” vs. “Mocs,” but I believe “The Cats” originated “ChattaQuitta”…and, in doing so, inspired my coinage of “Woffraud.”

NOTE: FUBeAR may (or may not…not sure yet) drop usage of these apropos monikers once these 2 Teams decide that they can be bothered to show up for their scheduled SoCon games in 2021.

Given how good the Mocs will be this year, you may not want that to happen!!!!

Milktruck74
August 14th, 2021, 12:00 PM
As an ETSU fan/alum who was miffed over the fact that ETSU did not make the playoffs because two teams (looking at you Chattaquitta and Woffraud (thanks FUBEAR)) chose to play the Covid card to drop the balance of their seasons, that by itself is plenty of motivation for the Bucs to roll into Finley with a chip the size of Neyland Stadium on their shoulders.

So would the committee have chosen ETSU with (at least) one more loss on their record? PRobably not.

FUBeAR
August 14th, 2021, 01:22 PM
So would the committee have chosen ETSU with (at least) one more loss on their record? PRobably not.
When FUBeAR was a young cub and 2 dudes agreed to meet each other by the water tower after school to settle their differences, if 1 of those dudes failed to show up, it would have been viewed as quite laughable if the no-show dude then claimed he woulda won the fight if he had shown up.

Has that changed or still wholly laughable these days?

FUBeAR
August 14th, 2021, 11:17 PM
Given how good the Mocs will be this year, you may not want that to happen!!!!
LOL - The Mocks Team I saw 2x this Spring won a game that they did almost everything possible to ensure they would lose. An effort which, that day, was only barely exceeded by their sub-.500 opponent’s effort to do likewise. And I saw them lose a game in which, allegedly, their alleged best Players were either too inconvenienced or too afraid to participate.

These are not ACTIONS that will evoke fear in any of the Mocks Fall 2021 SoCon opponents.

The WORDS we’ve all seen from the Mocks, on the other hand, are most fearsome!

The Cats
August 15th, 2021, 05:54 PM
https://twitter.com/CatamountsFB/status/1427026742934392834

https://twitter.com/Catamounts/status/1426578423422537736

apaladin
August 16th, 2021, 01:44 AM
Highly thought of Charlotte QB transfer Colt Minson didn’t last a week in Furman camp. Already gone from the roster, 😳

Milktruck74
August 16th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Highly thought of Charlotte QB transfer Colt Minson didn’t last a week in Furman camp. Already gone from the roster, 

It happens more often than one would think....I'm FBS...I'll walk in and be the guy without any effort.... THEN, they realize, the only reason the FCS QB (or whatever position) didn't go FBS is because he is only 5'11"....but is still better than most of the guys who were starting in front of him at the FBS school.

PaladinNation
August 17th, 2021, 07:20 AM
In the case of Colt Minson - his leaving the program has nothing to do with the QB competition or the program. As fans we lose sight (and often don't care) about all the other things that could be going on in a 18 year-olds life.

Concerning QB for Furman — from my uneducated eyes Texas freshman Jace Wilson is firmly #2. Furman does have several PWO quarterbacks in the mix for the backup spots. It also wouldn't surprise me to see a dual-position move for a Paladin. Furman does have a 3-star QB on the roster, currently at WR who hasn't played in a game since transferring from MTSU.

The buzz so far of this pre-season is about freshman wide receiver Joshua Harris - and pre-season all-American TE Ryan Miller >
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1426265726042660867

PaladinNation
August 17th, 2021, 09:24 AM
hot off the press - probably the most important off-season news for the Furman football program;
https://news.furman.edu/2021/08/16/1-million-gift-will-aid-football-programs-growth-under-clay-hendrix/

This is the third million dollar gift since Clay has become the head coach.

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2021, 12:09 PM
In the case of Colt Minson - his leaving the program has nothing to do with the QB competition or the program. As fans we lose sight (and often don't care) about all the other things that could be going on in a 18 year-olds life.

Concerning QB for Furman — from my uneducated eyes Texas freshman Jace Wilson is firmly #2. Furman does have several PWO quarterbacks in the mix for the backup spots. It also wouldn't surprise me to see a dual-position move for a Paladin. Furman does have a 3-star QB on the roster, currently at WR who hasn't played in a game since transferring from MTSU.

The buzz so far of this pre-season is about freshman wide receiver Joshua Harris - and pre-season all-American TE Ryan Miller >
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1426265726042660867

Furman had a RB enter the portal...the hits keep coming. That is tough to think a kid will find a place to land when school has already started for many. Is there something going on there or is this just a coincidence?

kdinva
August 17th, 2021, 12:11 PM
hot off the press - probably the most important off-season news for the Furman football program;
https://news.furman.edu/2021/08/16/1-million-gift-will-aid-football-programs-growth-under-clay-hendrix/

xthumbsupx

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2021, 12:30 PM

Ole FuBear dropping some coin!!!! He will deny being the anonymous donor...but we all know!!!

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2021, 01:44 PM
Ole FuBear dropping some coin!!!! He will deny being the anonymous donor...but we all know!!!
I can neither confirm nor deny your assertion. I will only say that my Venmo Sales Rep was pretty excited this AM.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2021, 01:54 PM
Furman had a RB enter the portal...the hits keep coming. That is tough to think a kid will find a place to land when school has already started for many. Is there something going on there or is this just a coincidence?
You nailed it, Scoop. That RB hasn’t been on FU’s roster since early Feb. & did not play this Spring, of course.

PaladinNation
August 17th, 2021, 02:16 PM

Nothing is going on with the team > Corey Watkins was removed from the roster in the off-season before spring not sure why. So he's not been on the roster since the 2019 season. From what I can tell he's enrolled at Furman as a student. Good player. But Furman has three returning tailbacks, two returning fullbacks and two newcomers from Texas.

Concerning Minson — I doubt he's looking transfer to play this season.

Milktruck74
August 18th, 2021, 06:04 AM
You nailed it, Scoop. That RB hasn’t been on FU’s roster since early Feb. & did not play this Spring, of course.

Why wait till mid August to enter the portal? did he think he was going to end up back on the team? I realize only he has these answers, but it is a strange situation.

FUBeAR
August 18th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Why wait till mid August to enter the portal? did he think he was going to end up back on the team? I realize only he has these answers, but it is a strange situation.
I know Chatt would never allow these young men to consider academics ahead of athletics, but Furman STUDENT Athletes do. I believe this young man just completed his FU degree this summer. I would surmise that he had some concerns about being able to successfully complete the coursework needed & was too deep in his studies to transfer and still get an FU degree. So (still surmising) once he knew that he had his FU degree in hand, he is now open to transferring to another school, using his remaining athletics eligibility to get a paid-for advanced degree that is not offered by Furman. Make sense?

walliver
August 18th, 2021, 02:16 PM
I know Chatt would never allow these young men to consider academics ahead of athletics, but Furman STUDENT Athletes do. I believe this young man just completed his FU degree this summer. I would surmise that he had some concerns about being able to successfully complete the coursework needed & was too deep in his studies to transfer and still get an FU degree. So (still surmising) once he knew that he had his FU degree in hand, he is now open to transferring to another school, using his remaining athletics eligibility to get a paid-for advanced degree that is not offered by Furman. Make sense?

More likely, FU wouldn't have paid for the summer classes if he entered the portal earlier.

FUBeAR
August 18th, 2021, 02:32 PM
More likely, FU wouldn't have paid for the summer classes if he entered the portal earlier.
Not so sure about that - the peeps at FU tend to put some high value on those APR / Progress-to-Degree / Grad Rate metrics.

Also, the leadership Coach Hendrix ‘grew up’ under had an ironclad policy of paying for tuition until a Player graduated as long as they continued trying - regardless of eligibility. Now, in those days, those guys had to do some labor (washing clothes, etc.) to ‘earn their keep,’ but FU only had 55 schollies to give back then and was playing against schools with 95. So, it was a big sacrifice to keep those dudes on scholarships…but that’s what was done. Not sure if Coach Hendrix internalized that approach & has adopted it, but I would say it is more likely than not that he has.

Possibly, you are correct, but I wouldn’t concede that it’s “more likely” than the scenario I described.

PaladinNation
August 19th, 2021, 06:12 AM
To add-on to Bear's point - Furman AD Jason Donnely in the recent inside Furman Athletics podcast mentioned this.
Furman is working on more Master degree programs that could entice Athletes that do graduate early to stay another year and get another degree.
(Grayson Atkins (UNC) and Noah Gurley (AL) are recent examples.

Back to Watkins - the timing of him entering the portal does match with graduation. Hope he lands somewhere like GaSt.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2021, 06:26 AM

FUBeAR - I know we're just a little ole public regional university and generally not up to the academic standards of the SoCon, but I don't think it's fair to criticize the academic achievements of the Mocs Football Program. Coach Wright has recruited good kids that get the job done in the classroom and to be honest, we have had excellent academic performance within the program from back in the Huesman days. Now there certainly was a time prior to coach Huesman, that academic criticism was indeed warranted, but we have made great strides in that area and I believe have lead the SoCon in athletes on the SoCon academic honor roll (or whatever they call it) several times.

https://gomocs.com/news/2021/6/10/football-among-national-leaders-academically.aspx

FUBeAR
August 19th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Now there certainly was a time prior to coach Huesman, that academic criticism was indeed warranted
This time is generally referred to as “The Milktruck Era,” I believe.

Good to hear some good things rubbed off on Coach Wright during his Coaching tenure at FU.

Milktruck74
August 19th, 2021, 12:37 PM
This time is generally referred to as “The Milktruck Era,” I believe.

Good to hear some good things rubbed off on Coach Wright during his Coaching tenure at FU.

Yes!!! that was my era (we didn't actually have APR back then)...However, I actually helped that cume GPA. I had a 3.7 in my major, a 4.0 in both of my masters programs, and so far a 4.0 in my doctoral (but that is subject to change...hahahaha).

FUBeAR
August 19th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Yes!!! that was my era (we didn't actually have APR back then)...However, I actually helped that cume GPA. I had a 3.7 in my major, a 4.0 in both of my masters programs, and so far a 4.0 in my doctoral (but that is subject to change...hahahaha).

https://youtu.be/9UZWfMgjqAs

Sir William
August 19th, 2021, 02:46 PM
Lol!! Classic, FUBeAR!

ElCid
August 20th, 2021, 09:14 AM
ACC policy on COVID is if a team can't field a team, they forfeit. If neither team can, both forfeit and get Ls for conf standings. I like it. What is SOCON policy?

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2021, 09:25 AM
ACC policy on COVID is if a team can't field a team, they forfeit. If neither team can, both forfeit and get Ls for conf standings. I like it. What is SOCON policy?
SoCon will develop their policy as soon as a Woffraud Player sneezes twice & Uncle Jerry directs the League Office what the SoCon policy is…unless he wants to change it later…of course.

Libertine
August 20th, 2021, 10:53 AM
ACC policy on COVID is if a team can't field a team, they forfeit. If neither team can, both forfeit and get Ls for conf standings.

This is just stupid. Logically, you wouldn't give both teams a win under any circumstances so why would you give both teams a loss? Plus, this only hurts the conference from a standings and bowl eligibility standpoint. In the Big Ten, this situation would be a no-contest which, I think, is the right way to handle it.

ElCid
August 20th, 2021, 11:48 AM
This is just stupid. Logically, you wouldn't give both teams a win under any circumstances so why would you give both teams a loss? Plus, this only hurts the conference from a standings and bowl eligibility standpoint. In the Big Ten, this situation would be a no-contest which, I think, is the right way to handle it.

Conf standings only apparently. Not overall.

Libertine
August 20th, 2021, 01:44 PM
Conf standings only apparently. Not overall.

So, in theory, a team could have twice as many conference losses as actual losses? I stand by my assessment.

ElCid
August 20th, 2021, 02:30 PM
So, in theory, a team could have twice as many conference losses as actual losses? I stand by my assessment.

Eh. I don't see it as horrible. It will keep out any team that may selectively ditch a game for what may otherwise be a marginal cause. Not saying that will be a thing, but it will make it painful and remove that option from consideration. At least for those who might do it for the wrong reason. Teams need to do what they need to do, but when a decision is on the bubble.....

Libertine
August 20th, 2021, 02:54 PM
Eh. I don't see it as horrible. It will keep out any team that may selectively ditch a game for what may otherwise be a marginal cause. Not saying that will be a thing, but it will make it painful and remove that option from consideration. At least for those who might do it for the wrong reason. Teams need to do what they need to do, but when a decision is on the bubble.....

Sure, that makes sense if only one team cancels or is trying to cancel. But if that's the case, then the other team has no incentive to dodge the game. In fact, just the opposite; they're less likely to dodge the game since they know they'll get the W automatically. So, given that, if both teams have to cancel, what sense does it make to hit both teams with the L-hammer for a game that was never played? It defies logic, common sense and basic math.

ElCid
August 20th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Sure, that makes sense if only one team cancels or is trying to cancel. But if that's the case, then the other team has no incentive to dodge the game. In fact, just the opposite; they're less likely to dodge the game since they know they'll get the W automatically. So, given that, if both teams have to cancel, what sense does it make to hit both teams with the L-hammer for a game that was never played? It defies logic, common sense and basic math.

Viewed that way sure, it doesn't make sense. But there must have been something learned this past spring in regard to the who and how the trigger was pulled. I don't know the standard threshold for a team saying, we can't play. I actually can't see an easy scenario where both teams say, we both forfeit. But maybe. I could see a team with maybe only 40 dressed players holding out and hoping the other teams bows out, but they don't and the road team want to save travel money. I don't know. I think it was a catch all for strange scenarios.

The Cats
August 20th, 2021, 06:22 PM
Sad news out of Cullowhee. We ask that you please keep the family and loved ones of WCU assistant football coach John Peacock in your thoughts and prayers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9Qi_BCVgAMLR8T?format=jpg&name=small

kdinva
August 20th, 2021, 07:55 PM
That is sad and horrible news, prayers to his family, and the WCU community.

Related: Former VMI asst. FB Coach, head baseball coach, and 17 year A D Donny White passed Thursday.

Sad news out of Cullowhee. We ask that you please keep the family and loved ones of WCU assistant football coach John Peacock in your thoughts and prayers.

Bisonoline
August 20th, 2021, 08:35 PM

This is sad.

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2021, 05:13 PM

So sad.

walliver
August 23rd, 2021, 10:46 AM

The last Twitter post I read about this attributed it to COVID-19. Very sad to hear. Apparently was engaged to be married early next year: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32061558/western-carolina-assistant-football-coach-john-peacock-dies-32

Although my parking pass and tickets arrived over the weekend, I am somewhat pessimistic about 2021 being a "normal" season.

Fortunately at Wofford, like several others in the SoCon, we already socially distance in the stands. ;)

The Cats
August 24th, 2021, 11:11 AM
https://twitter.com/Catamounts/status/1430198212095352834

The Cats
August 24th, 2021, 02:56 PM
https://twitter.com/SoConSports/status/1430244603656122383?s=20

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2021, 03:01 PM
https://twitter.com/SoConSports/status/1430244603656122383?s=20

https://twitter.com/SoConSports/status/1430244603656122383

This should work - gotta put it in as an Internet link & delete characters back thru & including the “?” if you want it to ‘show’ the Tweet.

Disappointed the SoCon didn’t name this the FraudQuitta Policy. xthumbsupx

The Cats
August 24th, 2021, 03:33 PM
This will be a big problem for most, if not all, SoCon teams this season..... he has 4 years experience in Coach Bell's offense as well.....

#11 Rogan Wells
https://catamountsports.com/images/2021/7/23/11_Rogan_Wells_HEAD_2021.jpg?width=300 (https://catamountsports.com/images/2021/7/23/11_Rogan_Wells_HEAD_2021.jpg?width=300)

POSITION Quarterback
HEIGHT 6-4
WEIGHT 220
CLASS Graduate Student
HOMETOWN Fort Mill, S.C.
HIGH SCHOOL Fort Mill HS

Prior to Western Carolina: Transferred to WCU in the summer of 2021 from Tusculum through the transfer portal as a graduate student … Began his collegiate career at Valdosta State;

BIO IN BRIEF –

Tusculum: Guided the Pioneers to the spring 2021 South Atlantic Conference championship … Completed 117-of-189 (61.9%) passes for 1,852 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2021, posting a QB rating of 167.2 … Added 32 rushes for 100 yards and two scores on the ground;

Valdosta State: Went 28-3 as the Blazers’ starting quarterback, leading Valdosta to a Gulf South Conference 25-game winning streak from the final game of 2017 until his final game in 2019 that included winning the 2018 NCAA Division II National Championship … Two-time Gulf South Conference Championships and NCAA D-II playoff berths … Named Gulf South Conference Player of the Decade and first-team GSC All-Decade … Was twice a finalist for the Harlon Hill Trophy, finishing as the runner-up in 2018 and a two-time Gulf South Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2018 and 2019 … Was an AFCA All-America first-team selection and a D2CCA All-Region first-team selection in 2019 … Finished eighth in VSU program history in rushing yards (1,932), fifth in rushing touchdowns (25), sixth in career completions (543), third in passing touchdowns (69) and second in total offense with 9,026 yards;

High School: Amassed 5,125 passing yards with 32 touchdowns and 1,568 rushing yards with 41 TDs as a prep … Three-time WRHI Offensive Player of the Week and Tri-County Player of the Week once … High school coach was Ed Susi.

Personal: Is the son of Jaren and Rick Wells … Was born in Charlotte, N.C. … His older brother is Rylan Wells, who played at Jacksonville and is an assistant coach at WCU … Is the grandson of former Tennessee (1964-69) and Florida (1970-78) head football coach Doug Dickey, who also served as UT’s athletics director (1985-2002) … Graduated from VSU with a degree in business management in 2020.

'

Milktruck74
August 24th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Obviously huge Condolences to the entire Cats Family...and Coach Peacocks too....I've seen an untimely death of a coach truly bring a team together and help them to play inspired FB and win a few games they probably shouldn't....I'm not willing to say that the Cats will run through the SoCon, but if coach Bell can harness the emotion of loss and point it in the right direction.....who knows. FB is a game of inches and emotion and a few lucky bounces....and at this point I can't say any team is leaps and bounds ahead of any other talent-wise, so maybe this is something that can help WCU play a little more inspired than they have in the past and win some more of those close ones.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 24th, 2021, 06:17 PM
This will be a big problem for most, if not all, SoCon teams this season..... he has 4 years experience in Coach Bell's offense as well.....

#11 Rogan Wells
https://catamountsports.com/images/2021/7/23/11_Rogan_Wells_HEAD_2021.jpg?width=300 (https://catamountsports.com/images/2021/7/23/11_Rogan_Wells_HEAD_2021.jpg?width=300)

POSITION Quarterback
HEIGHT 6-4
WEIGHT 220
CLASS Graduate Student
HOMETOWN Fort Mill, S.C.
HIGH SCHOOL Fort Mill HS

Prior to Western Carolina: Transferred to WCU in the summer of 2021 from Tusculum through the transfer portal as a graduate student … Began his collegiate career at Valdosta State;

BIO IN BRIEF –

Tusculum: Guided the Pioneers to the spring 2021 South Atlantic Conference championship … Completed 117-of-189 (61.9%) passes for 1,852 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2021, posting a QB rating of 167.2 … Added 32 rushes for 100 yards and two scores on the ground;

Valdosta State: Went 28-3 as the Blazers’ starting quarterback, leading Valdosta to a Gulf South Conference 25-game winning streak from the final game of 2017 until his final game in 2019 that included winning the 2018 NCAA Division II National Championship … Two-time Gulf South Conference Championships and NCAA D-II playoff berths … Named Gulf South Conference Player of the Decade and first-team GSC All-Decade … Was twice a finalist for the Harlon Hill Trophy, finishing as the runner-up in 2018 and a two-time Gulf South Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2018 and 2019 … Was an AFCA All-America first-team selection and a D2CCA All-Region first-team selection in 2019 … Finished eighth in VSU program history in rushing yards (1,932), fifth in rushing touchdowns (25), sixth in career completions (543), third in passing touchdowns (69) and second in total offense with 9,026 yards;

High School: Amassed 5,125 passing yards with 32 touchdowns and 1,568 rushing yards with 41 TDs as a prep … Three-time WRHI Offensive Player of the Week and Tri-County Player of the Week once … High school coach was Ed Susi.

Personal: Is the son of Jaren and Rick Wells … Was born in Charlotte, N.C. … His older brother is Rylan Wells, who played at Jacksonville and is an assistant coach at WCU … Is the grandson of former Tennessee (1964-69) and Florida (1970-78) head football coach Doug Dickey, who also served as UT’s athletics director (1985-2002) … Graduated from VSU with a degree in business management in 2020.

'

now THAT is a certified stud.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 24th, 2021, 06:19 PM
https://twitter.com/SoConSports/status/1430244603656122383

This should work - gotta put it in as an Internet link & delete characters back thru & including the “?” if you want it to ‘show’ the Tweet.

Disappointed the SoCon didn’t name this the FraudQuitta Policy. xthumbsupx

The SWAC had this policy in the spring and it was enforced when Alcorn State chose to opt out. Glad the SoCon came to its senses on this one.

Milktruck74
August 24th, 2021, 06:25 PM

#11 Rogan Wells

POSITION Quarterback
HEIGHT 6-4
WEIGHT 220
CLASS Graduate Student
HOMETOWN Fort Mill, S.C.
HIGH SCHOOL Fort Mill HS

BIO IN BRIEF –

'

32-4 as a starter....he knows how to win and has the confidence to do so!!!! Good for the Boys from the Whee!!!!

The Cats
August 25th, 2021, 09:18 AM
"We might not a win a game all year," Wright said. "But I couldn't go out and ask them to do what we needed to do knowing they wouldn't be ready if we were still recovering from the spring. I'll always err on the side of what's best for the health of my players." -Rusty Wright

...any chance the ChattaQuitta head coach is prepping the Moc fans for more opt outs (forfeits)????????

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 27th, 2021, 04:36 PM
...any chance the ChattaQuitta head coach is prepping the Moc fans for more opt outs (forfeits)????????

any chance their opponents' fans will chant "Chattaquitta" at the team when they step onto the field.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2021, 04:50 PM
32-4 as a starter....he knows how to win and has the confidence to do so!!!! Good for the Boys from the Whee!!!!

He is the reason I picked them to beat E Kentucky

Kade Bell is a great QB coach like his Daddy