PDA

View Full Version : Who Has The Best Chances At 300 Wins?

UNHWildCats
August 6th, 2007, 01:02 AM
With Tom Glavine winning his 300th game the question now is who's next if anyone? Listed above are the current pitchers with the most likely chance to reach the mark.

Tod
August 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I don't follow baseball closely enough to vote, but I do think it's quite odd, and a bit sad, that Glavine could be the last.

Just the evolution of the game, I guess.

But despite his age and injuries, Randy Johnson is only 14 or 16 games away, I believe. So maybe...xconfusedx

Edit - I voted other for Johnson. I think he'll do his damnedest to make it happen.

seantaylor
August 6th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Justin Veerlander

Seahawks Fan
August 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I voted for Other too (Randy Johnson). If he can have one more decent year he has the best chance of making it.

So what is the reason for the lack of future 300 game winners? 5 man rotation?

andy7171
August 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM
C.C. Sabathia is only 27 and has 95 wins. I'd say he has the best chance. I don't think anyone will get there again. Teams are too protective of their pitchers because of the money they make. They put them on the DL for the smallest thing, choosing to err on the side of being safe. That in combination with the 5 man rotation makes it awefully hard to compile that 300 total.

gmoney55
August 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I voted for other for Sabathia with the outside chance for Pedro. He's at 206 and only 34 years old, though I suspect he doesn't have more than 2 or 3 years left in him.

tribe_pride
August 6th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Voted Other (Glavine as the last one)

dbackjon
August 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Voted other = either Glavine will be the last, or Johnson will get one more year.

UNHWildCats
August 6th, 2007, 09:44 AM
i didnt include Johnson cause everything im reading says hes done, but if he comes back opbviously he has a good shot

JoltinJoe
August 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I voted for Mike Mussina because he's a smart guy who seems to be changing his pitching style at the very moment to account for his loss of velocity. He's not going to be the same pitcher he has been in the past, but I can see him pitching another four years and getting the necessary 55 wins.

Then again, he probably won't. But this thread asked who has the best chance at 300 wins -- not whether we think anyone of these guys will get there.

AZGrizFan
August 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM
With Tom Glavine winning his 300th game the question now is who's next if anyone? Listed above are the current pitchers with the most likely chance to reach the mark.

Hellooooooo.....Where's the big unit on that list? Like the terminator, he'll be back. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

UNHWildCats
August 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Hellooooooo.....Where's the big unit on that list? Like the terminator, he'll be back. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

As I said everything im reading says hes retiring so I didnt include him...

As for CC Sabnathia I missed him as I was going down the career wins list for active pitchers, he should be on the list.

MR. CHICKEN
August 6th, 2007, 12:19 PM
COLE HAMELS.......:p.....BRAWK!

bulldog10jw
August 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I voted for Other too (Randy Johnson). If he can have one more decent year he has the best chance of making it.

So what is the reason for the lack of future 300 game winners? 5 man rotation?

Weren't Maddux, Glavine, and Clemens all in 5 man rotations? I know Tom Seaver was?

Seahawks Fan
August 6th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Weren't Maddux, Glavine, and Clemens all in 5 man rotations? I know Tom Seaver was?

I don't know. But the conventional wisdom is that the 5 man rotation and the lack of complete game wins will make winning 300 games very difficult in the future. The former argument I kind of understand, the latter I don't.

AZGrizFan
August 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
As I said everything im reading says hes retiring so I didnt include him...

As for CC Sabnathia I missed him as I was going down the career wins list for active pitchers, he should be on the list.

And everything I've read says he's not. He'll be back to give it another go. May still not make it, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

kardplayer
August 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I don't know. But the conventional wisdom is that the 5 man rotation and the lack of complete game wins will make winning 300 games very difficult in the future. The former argument I kind of understand, the latter I don't.

The latter is because bullpens aren't as good as the starter, and they blow leads.

In "the old days", pitchers would pitch into the 9th or complete it themselves instead of handing it over in the 7th or 8th. They also would still be in a game when losing 5-4 in the eighth, so they'd get the W in a come-from behind victory.

As an example, I was at a Pirates/White Sox game back in June and they said Maholm was like 7-1 (or maybe 8-1) when pitching 7 innings (that may not be the exact stat, but it was something like that). I'm sure if you looked at a lot of the 300 game winners, they're W/L ratio on 7 inning starts is nowhere near as good.

AZGrizFan
August 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
If not for all the leads the D-Backs bullpen blew for RJ in his first stint here, he might already BE at 300. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

dbackjon
August 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
If not for all the leads the D-Backs bullpen blew for RJ in his first stint here, he might already BE at 300. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

No kidding

Eyes of Old Main
August 7th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Jake Peavy.