PDA

View Full Version : Colgate head coach Dan Hunt steps down

crusader11
May 17th, 2021, 02:55 PM
https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2021/05/colgate-football-coach-dan-hunt-steps-down-school-cites-violation-of-university-policy.html

Be interesting to see if the story behind this comes out.

Colgate seemed to be trending the wrong way under Hunt recently.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Never good to read phrases like "following the discovery of violation of university policy not involving students."

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 17th, 2021, 03:49 PM
I'm not THAT surprised by this. I have a couple good connections at Colgate who have been keeping me in the loop the last 3-4 years. Hunt and a couple of his staff members played at my club in 2019. I've been saying things were a bit amiss in Hamilton despite some notable success (2015 and 2018) the last 18 months or so.

Biddle was able to maintain a consistent level of success by sticking to his guns and doing things his way. He earned a level of autonomy given his success and tenure in Hamilton. Hunt is also an established name at Colgate but he never conducted himself the same way. Assistants, high school coaches, camps and parents started to catch on.

The potential infractions are head turning but given Hunt's (known?) ego I could see him overstepping certain ethical bounds.

I would like to see Colgate go outside of the box a bit. Sometimes an established culture needs to be turned over and some fresh blood brought in. Personally, I think Colgate should take a run at an up and comer who's not from the Raider family.

Gate83
May 17th, 2021, 05:00 PM
Never good to read phrases like "following the discovery of violation of university policy not involving students."

That's the key line in an oddly worded statement. It's like the university is trying to give him some cover when he starts looking for another job. I don't know anything about this situation, but I do know Dan a little bit... I very much doubt this has anything to do with recruiting violations or overstepping football rules. The players also know and like interim coach Dakosty very much... hopefully they rally around him this Fall.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2021, 05:21 PM
That's the key line in an oddly worded statement. It's like the university is trying to give him some cover when he starts looking for another job.

I'm not sure. Cover is "He has resigned to pursue other business interests. We wish him well in his future endeavors."

A "violation of university policy" has to be a red flag in coaching circles.

Gate83
May 17th, 2021, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure. Cover is "He has resigned to pursue other business interests. We wish him well in his future endeavors."

That line wasn't in the release sent to friends of the program, maybe it got added later? Anyway, the statement as a whole invites speculation... fair or not.

DFW HOYA
May 17th, 2021, 06:52 PM
That line wasn't in the release sent to friends of the program, maybe it got added later? Anyway, the statement as a whole invites speculation... fair or not.

Clarification: That was not in the release, but is an example of the kind of cover some employers use when giving a non-committal termination.

Put another way, this release was sufficiently vague so as to invite more scrutiny, not less.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 17th, 2021, 08:23 PM
That's the key line in an oddly worded statement. It's like the university is trying to give him some cover when he starts looking for another job. I don't know anything about this situation, but I do know Dan a little bit... I very much doubt this has anything to do with recruiting violations or overstepping football rules. The players also know and like interim coach Dakosty very much... hopefully they rally around him this Fall.

Generally speaking Hunt has been a good guy but he's a Division 1 football coach; there's almost always an ego and control issues to some extent . He might have rubbed the wrong person wrong or simply wanted/asked for something done in a manner that wasn't well received. From there things can spiral down an ugly road if someone feels a department or institutional bylaw or code was broken.

bonarae
May 17th, 2021, 11:20 PM
I would like to see Colgate go outside of the box a bit. Sometimes an established culture needs to be turned over and some fresh blood brought in. Personally, I think Colgate should take a run at an up and comer who's not from the Raider family.

Like what Harvard did before when they poached Murphy from a (now) G5 school? NFL potential-wise, it has turned up a notch, but the quality elsewhere (e.g. coachability of players, scheduling) has gone considerably down. xsighx xsmhx

Go Green
May 18th, 2021, 07:24 AM
He might have rubbed the wrong person wrong or simply wanted/asked for something done in a manner that wasn't well received. .

If you're correct, he must have REALLY pissed somebody off given the timing of the announcement....

ngineer
May 18th, 2021, 10:37 AM
Yes, sounds like a clash of personalities or adherence to some internal policies. Still somewhat surprised at the timing. Bring back Fred!!

Go Green
May 19th, 2021, 07:39 AM
For whatever its worth, the Holy Cross Board has a theory based on "rumors on social media" as to why Hunt left.

Colgate football coach steps down | Crossports (freeforums.net) (https://crossports.freeforums.net/thread/6582/colgate-football-coach-steps)

Whether or not they are true-I have no idea.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 2nd, 2021, 01:34 PM
Sounds like Hunt got a DWI in a nearby town, it was the ammo the AD needed (who didn't like him) to breach his contract. Anyone else hear something similar?

That's the story I got from two very reliable sources.

CockyGeek
June 2nd, 2021, 02:35 PM
Squeezed Out would have been a great headline.

Pards Rule
August 13th, 2021, 08:25 AM
Sounds like Hunt got a DWI in a nearby town, it was the ammo the AD needed (who didn't like him) to breach his contract. Anyone else hear something similar?

That's the story I got from two very reliable sources.

I had my Lafayette football t shirt on at the Spray Beach (Long Beach Island, NJ) Wawa a month or so ago and a woman started convo with me. She is mother of a player on Colgate. As Hunt news was just out I asked her what she/son heard. She was exasperated - "nothing!!"