PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Megathread: 2021 Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ST_Lawson
May 17th, 2021, 08:43 AM
Despite it being 2021 for months now, we can finally put 2020 to a close and get back to football as (much closer to) normal.

South Dakota State, being the runner-up for last year's championship, has a ton of young talent and should be right at the top of the conference for the foreseeable future, assuming they can keep QB's healthy. Meanwhile, perennial power North Dakota State has dropped down to the realm of merely "very good" (as opposed to absolutely dominant), at the same time as some more "unexpected" teams have been making a push to be in the top half of the conference, with Missouri State, Southern Illinois, and North Dakota all finding their way into the playoffs last season.
On the other hand, some teams that we've seen have success in the past did not do well in last year's crazy pandemic-adjusted season, with Northern Iowa and Illinois State both only coming away with 1 win last year, but will likely do at least a little better in a regular season.
And then we have South Dakota, Western Illinois, and Youngstown State. Teams that will likely struggle to find more than 1 or 2 wins this year.

MVFC football starts up in just over 3 months with Indiana State hosting neighbor and former Gateway Conference member Eastern Illinois in "Week 0" on August 28th. In the meantime, enjoy your Casey's Breakfast Pizza, get your crops in the ground, try to avoid the deer, and save big money at Menards.

Preferred Walk-On
May 17th, 2021, 08:58 AM
It is a bit weird to be finishing a season and having the 100 day countdown just a few days away. Glad 2020 is over and hopeful for a more regular fall of 2021. The MVFC will be as challenging as always, and it will be interesting to see who rises to the top. Will be picking up Casey's today in honor of the Megathread.

Professor Chaos
May 17th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Way too early (or is it???) fall conference power ranking (IMO):

1. SDSU - Does Gronowski miss all or part of the fall? If so, SDSU is vulnerable but still the favorite IMO.
2. NDSU - Big questions at QB... if they can get that figured out the rest of the team is still loaded so the sky's the limit.
3. UND - Exceeded expectations this spring to set themselves up for success in the fall. They need to beef up their D-line depth though if they want to contend again in the fall.
4. SIU - Unlike most other MVFC teams they've got multiple good QBs it seems and Javon Williams Jr isn't bad throwing it either as an all-conference RB but I'm not sold on their defense.
5. UNI - You'd think they'll bounce back from a disappointing spring... their defense will be tough as nails as usual.
6. Missouri St - I'm not sold on the Bears yet, they had a fortuitous schedule in the spring and won some squeakers but they've got more momentum than they've had in years.
7. Illinois St - Not sure what's going on here but it seems like there's some internal issues with this team that might derail them in the fall.
8. YSU - They're better than their 1-6 record in the spring indicated but it's a tough climb with the emergence of teams like UND and Missouri St in addition to the perennial powers.
9. USD - Seems like this program has been stuck in neutral ever since Chris Streveler left.
10. WIU - It looks to me like WIU is a long way from contending even for a playoff spot still.
11. Indiana St - They'll have 21 months between games by the time they kick off this fall. Who knows what to expect but my expectations are low.

There was a ton of youth in the conference this spring so the level of play should be even better by the fall. Considering the conference put 5 teams in the playoffs with only a 16 team field you'd have to imagine 5 is very doable again with a 24 team field... possibly even 6 if things shake out right.

Mfergy4
May 17th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Going to be interesting to see how the spring injuries play out this fall. Gronowski is out this fall...no way to come back an ACL that fast. Then Portal transfer pictures need to be looked at. Is NDSU in danger of wrecking the building culture with the rash of current Portal Transfers from FBS? How about other programs, will they prosper withe Portal Transfers? How many will lose good players looking to move up to get better exposure for NFL job prospects?

caribbeanhen
May 17th, 2021, 11:35 AM
I’ll be here

TheKingpin28
May 17th, 2021, 11:37 AM
I thought we were going to be sponsored by OnlyFans?

Professor Chaos
May 17th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Going to be interesting to see how the spring injuries play out this fall. Gronowski is out this fall...no way to come back an ACL that fast. Then Portal transfer pictures need to be looked at. Is NDSU in danger of wrecking the building culture with the rash of current Portal Transfers from FBS? How about other programs, will they prosper withe Portal Transfers? How many will lose good players looking to move up to get better exposure for NFL job prospects?
The days of keeping 90%+ of your roster as incoming high school recruits, as NDSU used to do, are gone. I don't think the culture at NDSU needs to be any different with the increased number of transfers. Strong leadership from the upper classmen is still important to get "buy in" from incoming transfers and high school recruits alike. I'm glad to see NDSU leveraging transfers more since they're going to be losing more players to transfer now as well. You can't keep replacing 3rd/4th/5th year players with freshman. If you look at the positions they're getting transfers it matches up with the positions that they've lost players at recently to opt outs and transfers (QB, RB, OL, CB).

ST_Lawson
May 17th, 2021, 01:10 PM
I thought we were going to be sponsored by OnlyFans?

Tried to be sponsored by another "adult" site a few years ago...got some complaints...going to steer clear of anything in that vicinity in terms of "naming rights".

mmiller_34
May 17th, 2021, 01:51 PM
My take:

1. North Dakota State - not dropping them until teams can prove to beat them year-in and year-out.
2. Northern Iowa - Spring was weird; they'll be back
3. North Dakota - Lacked consistency toward the end of the spring; they'll clear that up
4. South Dakota State - All signs point to Gronowski being out until 2022. We'll be 8-4 and a one and done in the playoffs; our running game is good, but teams will be able to tee off on that.
5. Southern Illinois - Needs a defense to make the next step up
6. Illinois State - Spring was weird; they'll be back
7. Youngstown State - No idea what to do with this team.
8. South Dakota - Spring was weird; they'll be back-ish
9. Indiana State - Will be interesting to see how the lone team who sat out the spring will fare in the Fall.
10. Missouri State - Spring was weird; they'll fall back down
11. Western Illinois - Yikes.

Paladin1aa
May 17th, 2021, 02:03 PM
For all those projecting YSU as 7th or 8th, you may be too high. I project them to win 2 games this Fall. One OOC and one league. Far to many problems to correct, shoddy years of recruiting, and an as yet unknown how many will transfer out or not come back. The program is a shell of itself looking at years of rebuilding ahead. The new D scheme kept them in games but a toothless O usually did them in. It is what it is.

My top 3, in no particular order are SDSU, NDSU and SIU.

Chalupa Batman
May 17th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Someone said on the SDSU board Gronowski has a bad knee sprain but I didn’t see where it came from so don’t know if it’s true or not. If he’s back and healthy that makes the Jacks the clear favorite in the MVFC. If he’s not and they have to roll with Heide, I think it’s wide open with no clear favorite. It could be a year where 2 or 3 teams tie for the conference title with a 6-2 record instead of someone going 7-1/8-0.

Personally I’m not sold on QP2 being the savior for the Bison to make us near invincible again. Running the ball he’s going to be a load to deal with, but his passing seems shaky at best. I think the offense works better when we have a pass-first guy who can run when needed rather than a run-first guy who can also throw.

caribbeanhen
May 17th, 2021, 02:14 PM
Gronowski if healthy

Sam Houston no longer stealthy

rematch coming up

bookit#

Gil Dobie
May 17th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Someone said on the SDSU board Gronowski has a bad knee sprain but I didn’t see where it came from so don’t know if it’s true or not. If he’s back and healthy that makes the Jacks the clear favorite in the MVFC. If he’s not and they have to roll with Heide, I think it’s wide open with no clear favorite. It could be a year where 2 or 3 teams tie for the conference title with a 6-2 record instead of someone going 7-1/8-0.

Personally I’m not sold on QP2 being the savior for the Bison to make us near invincible again. Running the ball he’s going to be a load to deal with, but his passing seems shaky at best. I think the offense works better when we have a pass-first guy who can run when needed rather than a run-first guy who can also throw.

Are either Freshman, Payton or Woodin, good enough to move in right away?

Chalupa Batman
May 17th, 2021, 03:02 PM

I think Payton is good enough, but the question is can he learn the playbook quick enough. Not sure about the other guy.

ST_Lawson
May 17th, 2021, 03:16 PM
11. Western Illinois - Yikes.

correct

my hope at this point is just that we struggle to scrape out more than 1 win and we are looking for a new coach by the end of the season. I don't think we're turning anything around with the current coaching staff.

Professor Chaos
May 17th, 2021, 03:39 PM

I think Payton is good enough, but the question is can he learn the playbook quick enough. Not sure about the other guy.
Yeah, I've seen more than a few Bison fans heap some pretty high expectations on Cole Payton this fall already but I don't think you can start as a true freshman at QB (in a fall season) in NDSU's offense no matter how good you are. Just too much stuff to put on their plate too quickly. IMO it'll either have to be Quincy Patterson or a much improved Cam Miller if NDSU is to get the QB position solidified this fall. I think Payton's ceiling as a dual thread will allow him to push for the starting spot eventually but not until fall 2022 at the earliest.

TheKingpin28
May 17th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Tried to be sponsored by another "adult" site a few years ago...got some complaints...going to steer clear of anything in that vicinity in terms of "naming rights".Eh, alright.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

mmiller_34
May 17th, 2021, 07:14 PM

This has, unfortunately, been discredited BTW. Worst case scenario is still very much in play. Some guy didn’t read a tweet very well.

Chalupa Batman
May 17th, 2021, 07:39 PM
This has, unfortunately, been discredited BTW. Worst case scenario is still very much in play. Some guy didn’t read a tweet very well.

Damn, sorry to hear that, hoping for the best. I guess if there’s a silver lining he can redshirt and still play four more years. I thought he had a realistic shot at the all time wins record for FCS considering he got 8 bonus wins this spring to add to what he can get in 4 more years.

Any recruits coming in that could challenge for the job in the fall?

ST_Lawson
May 18th, 2021, 04:36 PM
For anyone that wants to see who all everyone is playing this fall, here's the full schedule for all MVFC teams (link below).
For reference on the chart, games in italics are FBS teams, games highlighted in the light blue/grey color are the "Homecoming" games (or Hobo Day, Dakota Days, etc.)
At the bottom in gold are the teams that each team doesn't play this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQhPX-V5qFn67f87s5R4MXsVzzbE6889Sp7A5xzCDvgO5XoLuYUOmUk_ zImZ3z0JPAbtCeRvvIm1iug/pubhtml?gid=763065908&single=true

JacksFan40
May 18th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Right now it looks like the MVFC has three really good chances at beating FBS teams.

SDSU vs Colorado State

USD vs Kansas

UND vs Utah State

Colorado State and Utah State are below average MWC teams and Kansas is an even bigger dumpster fire after the Les Miles debacle. I can see all three being wins for the MVFC.

dewey
May 18th, 2021, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I've seen more than a few Bison fans heap some pretty high expectations on Cole Payton this fall already but I don't think you can start as a true freshman at QB (in a fall season) in NDSU's offense no matter how good you are. Just too much stuff to put on their plate too quickly. IMO it'll either have to be Quincy Patterson or a much improved Cam Miller if NDSU is to get the QB position solidified this fall. I think Payton's ceiling as a dual thread will allow him to push for the starting spot eventually but not until fall 2022 at the earliest.

I agree. Cole Payton has has praise but I don't see a true freshman QB starting. Too much to learn too quick.

Hopefully he tears I up and I am wrong. I would greatly eat that plate of crowxsmiley_wix

Dewey

mmiller_34
May 18th, 2021, 06:58 PM
Right now it looks like the MVFC has three really good chances at beating FBS teams.

SDSU vs Colorado State

USD vs Kansas

UND vs Utah State

Colorado State and Utah State are below average MWC teams and Kansas is an even bigger dumpster fire after the Les Miles debacle. I can see all three being wins for the MVFC.

I would scratch us off that list until we can find a viable QB

Chalupa Batman
May 18th, 2021, 07:21 PM
I would scratch us off that list until we can find a viable QB

Yeah I agree. I would’ve considered you solid favorites with Gronowski or Gibbs. Still have a decent shot though.

Professor Chaos
May 18th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Despite our sandbagging friend from SDSU's appraisal I don't think Heide is that bad. He was thrown into an incredibly tough situation last Sunday against a very good defense after only playing a handful of snaps this spring and it showed. But let's not forget he had some pretty solid games as a starter in fall 2019 including going 15-16 for 196 and 2 TDs against a stellar UNI defense that fall (of course he faltered against them in the playoffs a few weeks after that). Maybe he's regressed in that time but if he's progressed at all and ends up taking the majority of the #1 reps in fall camp he should be good enough to keep the Jacks among the contenders IMO.

Chalupa Batman
May 18th, 2021, 08:29 PM
Despite our sandbagging friend from SDSU's appraisal I don't think Heide is that bad. He was thrown into an incredibly tough situation last Sunday against a very good defense after only playing a handful of snaps this spring and it showed. But let's not forget he had some pretty solid games as a starter in fall 2019 including going 15-16 for 196 and 2 TDs against a stellar UNI defense that fall (of course he faltered against them in the playoffs a few weeks after that). Maybe he's regressed in that time but if he's progressed at all and ends up taking the majority of the #1 reps in fall camp he should be good enough to keep the Jacks among the contenders IMO.

I kind of agree with both of you here. I think Heide is solid, but more often than not he isn’t going to be the reason the Jacks win against quality teams. He can have a good performance like you referenced against UNI, but he struggled in the rematch and also struggled against ISUr that year. I think he did kill it against USD but I’m pretty sure everyone threw on them at will that year. He’s okay but he can’t push the ball down the field like Gibbs and Gronowski can which takes an important dimension away from their offense. They’ll still be very good if he’s their QB, but more like just inside the top 10 rather than top 4 IMO.

Edit: you are correct that a whole offseason knowing he’s the #1 guy and getting most of the reps should be huge for his confidence & development and could show huge gains from what we’ve seen. The question is will it be enough to keep them in the top 4 as I think he is limited physically compared to his predecessors.

JacksFan40
May 18th, 2021, 08:46 PM
I kind of agree with both of you here. I think Heide is solid, but more often than not he isn’t going to be the reason the Jacks win against quality teams. He can have a good performance like you referenced against UNI, but he struggled in the rematch and also struggled against ISUr that year. I think he did kill it against USD but I’m pretty sure everyone threw on them at will that year. He’s okay but he can’t push the ball down the field like Gibbs and Gronowski can which takes an important dimension away from their offense. They’ll still be very good if he’s their QB, but more like just inside the top 10 rather than top 4 IMO.
Heide is similar to Zach Lujan when he stepped in for Sumner in 2014. He’s good but will not win in big games, compared to Gibbs or Gronowski.

JayJ79
May 18th, 2021, 09:46 PM
with Northern Iowa and Illinois State both only coming away with 1 win last year

UNI had 3 wins. but yeah, it was a down year for them.

ST_Lawson
May 19th, 2021, 08:25 AM
UNI had 3 wins. but yeah, it was a down year for them.

Oh, sorry...got a little mixed up looking at all the 1-win teams down at the bottom of the list. Yeah, for UNI, a losing record is definitely a "down year". If I'm counting correctly, this was their 4th sub-.500 year in the last 30 years (and all except for last year were 5-6, so it's not like they were REALLY bad...just slightly under .500).

mmiller_34
May 19th, 2021, 08:35 AM

The problem that has been apparent with Heide since the last two games of the 2019 season (loss to USD & playoff loss to UNI). Is that with him at QB we have very little deep threat. He does not take chances over-the-top downfield, where as with Sumner, Christion, and Gronowski all of those QBs had the ability to hit the home run deep ball. Heide seems to be more comfortable with the dink and dunk game, that does not play well with a power run game that we have established with Strong & Davis. We need to be able to keep the defense honest and stretch them out with the possibility of a deep ball.

Either fine a new QB, or our OC needs to figure out how Heide’s style can jive with our power run game to keep defenses on their heels. If they can’t, then Heide can’t be our guy.

acbearkat
May 19th, 2021, 11:50 AM
UNI has a game against Iowa State week 1. Iowa State is projected by many to be a potential playoff team in the FBS, but I believe that game will be close. Iowa State is good, but they're not championship level good, as the Big 12 Championship game proved. If Texas and Oklahoma play their best games against ISU, those games could get ugly for Iowa State. Iowa State has Texas in Ames. Texas isn't a championship caliber team, but they certainly have more talent than Iowa State.

acbearkat
May 19th, 2021, 01:37 PM
South Dakota should beat Kansas, and beat them fairly easily. That Kansas team is REALLY BAD. The Jayhawks will be lucky to even be competitive in any game they play this year in the Big 12. They were lucky they didn't play Texas, who put up a shocking 69 points on Kansas State. In that game, Texas leaned on its running game and stud freshman running back Bijan Robinson, who set the Texas single game record for yards per carry at I believe 19.1 yards per carry. I'll have to check that stat out to confirm.

ST_Lawson
May 19th, 2021, 01:58 PM
Quick analysis of WIU's schedule and my predicted chances of winning...

@ Ball State (5%) - went 7-1 last fall, losing only to Miami (OH), won the MAC championship game against Buffalo, then beat San Jose State in the Arizona Bowl
@ Montana (20%) - went 2-0 this last spring and 10-4 in 2019
vs Eastern Washington (20%) - went 5-2 this spring, lost in first round of playoffs. Is Barriere coming back in the fall? If so, I'm dropping our chances to more like 10%.
@ Youngstown State (40%) - went 1-6 this spring, only win over South Dakota, lost to us 27-24 in Macomb in the spring
vs Southern Illinois (20%) - went 6-4 this spring, beat Weber State in the playoffs then lost at South Dakota State
@ Indiana State (40%) - didn't play this spring, 5-7 in 2019, this and YSU are probably our best chances at wins this fall
vs South Dakota State (10%) - 8-2, almost won the national championship...this one won't be close, even if their QB1 is still recovering from his injury. They beat us 45-10 in Brookings this spring.
@ North Dakota (20%) - 5-2 in the spring, made it to second round of playoffs, beat us 38-21 in Macomb
vs Illinois State (30%) - went 1-3, "spacked out" of the season after beating us 26-18
vs South Dakota (40%) - went 1-3 in the spring, beating only Illinois State
bye
@ Northern Iowa (20%) - 3-4 in the spring, beat us 34-20

Probably 1-2 wins, probably against some combination of YSU, INSU, USD, and maybe ILSU.

Chalupa Batman
May 19th, 2021, 02:09 PM
South Dakota should beat Kansas, and beat them fairly easily. That Kansas team is REALLY BAD. The Jayhawks will be lucky to even be competitive in any game they play this year in the Big 12. They were lucky they didn't play Texas, who put up a shocking 69 points on Kansas State. In that game, Texas leaned on its running game and stud freshman running back Bijan Robinson, who set the Texas single game record for yards per carry at I believe 19.1 yards per carry. I'll have to check that stat out to confirm.

I don’t think South Dakota is nearly good enough to make a statement like this, no matter how bad Kansas is. It’s a good chance for a win, probably like 30-40%. But I wouldn’t put them in the “expected win” column.

skinny_uncle
May 19th, 2021, 02:49 PM
I heard Petrino is leaving which means the Salukis have to find a new defensive coordinator in a hurry.
The offense could be better next year. All-America receiver Cox has a twin brother who transferred in and should be available this fall.

acbearkat
May 19th, 2021, 03:17 PM
I heard Petrino is leaving which means the Salukis have to find a new defensive coordinator in a hurry.
The offense could be better next year. All-America receiver Cox has a twin brother who transferred in and should be available this fall.

Are you talking about Bobby Petrino?

acbearkat
May 19th, 2021, 03:22 PM

@ Ball State (5%) - went 7-1 last fall, losing only to Miami (OH), won the MAC championship game against Buffalo, then beat San Jose State in the Arizona Bowl
vs Eastern Washington (20%) - went 5-2 this spring, lost in first round of playoffs. Is Barriere coming back in the fall? If so, I'm dropping our chances to more like 10%.
@ Youngstown State (40%) - went 1-6 this spring, only win over South Dakota, lost to us 27-24 in Macomb in the spring
vs Southern Illinois (20%) - went 6-4 this spring, beat Weber State in the playoffs then lost at South Dakota State
@ Indiana State (40%) - didn't play this spring, 5-7 in 2019, this and YSU are probably our best chances at wins this fall
vs South Dakota State (10%) - 8-2, almost won the national championship...this one won't be close, even if their QB1 is still recovering from his injury. They beat us 45-10 in Brookings this spring.
@ North Dakota (20%) - 5-2 in the spring, made it to second round of playoffs, beat us 38-21 in Macomb
vs Illinois State (30%) - went 1-3, "spacked out" of the season after beating us 26-18
bye

Probably 1-2 wins, probably against some combination of YSU, INSU, USD, and maybe ILSU.

That's a rough schedule. My first game at Sam Houston game as a student was a Thursday night game against Western Illinois back in 2011.

ST_Lawson
May 19th, 2021, 04:38 PM
That's a rough schedule. My first game at Sam Houston game as a student was a Thursday night game against Western Illinois back in 2011.

We played you guys quite a bit in that decade...looks like we had some kind of Home-Away-Home, then Away-Home-Away thing set up.
In IL in 2000, TX in '01, IL in '02, then TX in '09, IL in '10, and TX in '11. I would have been at all the ones here at WIU (2000 was my last year in the marching band). We ended up winning all the ones here in Macomb, went 1-2 in the road games.

As for this next year, yeah. On one hand, we get to miss NDSU and MSU from the conference schedule, which would have been one REALLY GOOD team and one REALLY BAD team a few years ago, but NDSU has dropped a little and MSU has improved quite a bit. We like to play MAC and Big 10 schools for our FBS game, but just happened to come up against one of the better of the G5 teams when we play Ball State, and of course both Montana and EWU are playoff-caliber teams, likely comparable with the top third of the MVFC.

Our schedule does us no favors. Unfortunately we just don't really have the money to pay a Pioneer League or DII team to come to our place and play a one-off game.

JacksFan40
May 19th, 2021, 07:48 PM
UNI has a game against Iowa State week 1. Iowa State is projected by many to be a potential playoff team in the FBS, but I believe that game will be close. Iowa State is good, but they're not championship level good, as the Big 12 Championship game proved. If Texas and Oklahoma play their best games against ISU, those games could get ugly for Iowa State. Iowa State has Texas in Ames. Texas isn't a championship caliber team, but they certainly have more talent than Iowa State.
I think Iowa State is the 2nd best in the Big 12. Oklahoma is heads and shoulders above the rest, and Texas is inconsistent. Campbell has developed a great program there. But UNI is always competitive vs FBS teams, so it definitely won’t be an ugly game. Probably somewhere between 15-20 points.

Chalupa Batman
May 20th, 2021, 08:10 AM
I think Iowa State is the 2nd best in the Big 12. Oklahoma is heads and shoulders above the rest, and Texas is inconsistent. Campbell has developed a great program there. But UNI is always competitive vs FBS teams, so it definitely won’t be an ugly game. Probably somewhere between 15-20 points.

Iowa State is coming up pretty damn fast on Oklahoma. They may already be there, splitting with the Sooners last season, winning by 7 and losing by 6. Campbell is doing a hell of a job there.

I agree that UNI will keep it respectable against them though.

acbearkat
May 20th, 2021, 08:18 AM
Iowa State is coming up pretty damn fast on Oklahoma. They may already be there, splitting with the Sooners last season, winning by 7 and losing by 6. Campbell is doing a hell of a job there.

I agree that UNI will keep it respectable against them though.

OU will blow them out. I have no doubt about that. Spencer Rattler will be better this year for Oklahoma. Now getting back to the Missouri Valley talk, if Mark Gronowski's injury is a ligament tear, that makes the conference pretty much wide open in terms of who will win it. I think Missouri State could make some noise in the second season under Bobby Petrino. Outside of his disastrous second stint at Louisville, as a college head coach, he has won everywhere he has been.

Chalupa Batman
May 20th, 2021, 10:27 AM
OU will blow them out. I have no doubt about that. Spencer Rattler will be better this year for Oklahoma. Now getting back to the Missouri Valley talk, if Mark Gronowski's injury is a ligament tear, that makes the conference pretty much wide open in terms of who will win it. I think Missouri State could make some noise in the second season under Bobby Petrino. Outside of his disastrous second stint at Louisville, as a college head coach, he has won everywhere he has been.

It could be a blowout but recent history says not to expect one. Since Matt Campbell arrived in Ames in 2016 the Cyclones have played the Sooners 6 times. They lost by 10, won by 7, lost by 10, lost by 1, won by 7, and lost by 6. The two games from last season are the only ones where Iowa State finished a season ranked in the top 25. Every one of those seasons Oklahoma finished in the top 6 in the final poll.

Quick look at Missouri State’s schedule, the 2nd game against UCA at home almost looks like a must win (assuming a loss to Ok. St.). The back half of the conference schedule is brutal after an easier 1st 4 games, finishing with @NDSU, UND, @SIU, UNI. A 6-2 conference record is likely best case scenario, and an early loss to UCA puts them at 6-3 going into their season finale @Dixie (normous) State.

skinny_uncle
May 20th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Are you talking about Bobby Petrino?
Nah. His cousin Jason.

mmiller_34
May 20th, 2021, 05:30 PM
No Gronowski in the Fall per Stig’s radio show.

TheKingpin28
May 21st, 2021, 08:20 AM

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

SDFS
May 21st, 2021, 09:40 AM

That is a rough... I thought that Gibbs looked really good in 2019. Is he still on the team?

BigGoosie13
May 21st, 2021, 10:06 AM
That is a rough... I thought that Gibbs looked really good in 2019. Is he still on the team?
Yep, unfortunately he blew out his other knee during our regular season game against SIU and will be out for this fall as well.

acbearkat
May 21st, 2021, 10:14 AM
With Gronowski out for the fall, then that really opens things up as far as who will win the conference. If North Dakota State gets their quarterback situation figured out, they have the best chance, if not, then I'm not sure who I would pick to win the automatic bid as conference champion.

Hammerhead
May 21st, 2021, 12:43 PM
The big question is do the transfers have to follow the rule that you can't wear warm clothing during practice when it's really cold out like the freshmen do?

The days of keeping 90%+ of your roster as incoming high school recruits, as NDSU used to do, are gone. I don't think the culture at NDSU needs to be any different with the increased number of transfers. Strong leadership from the upper classmen is still important to get "buy in" from incoming transfers and high school recruits alike. I'm glad to see NDSU leveraging transfers more since they're going to be losing more players to transfer now as well. You can't keep replacing 3rd/4th/5th year players with freshman. If you look at the positions they're getting transfers it matches up with the positions that they've lost players at recently to opt outs and transfers (QB, RB, OL, CB).

MikeyLoBets
May 26th, 2021, 04:27 PM
South Dakota State adds transfer QB Chris Oladokun from Samford: FCS: SDSU Lands Quarterback Transfer Chris Oladokun - HERO Sports News (https://herosports.com/fcs-football-sdsu-transfer-chris-oladokun-bzbz/)

mmiller_34
May 26th, 2021, 06:34 PM
South Dakota State adds transfer QB Chris Oladokun from Samford: FCS: SDSU Lands Quarterback Transfer Chris Oladokun - HERO Sports News (https://herosports.com/fcs-football-sdsu-transfer-chris-oladokun-bzbz/)

https://media4.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpKniGqRNLGBrhu/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acbearkat
May 26th, 2021, 09:46 PM
The Missouri Valley is hard to get a read on right now, which is normally not the case. We’ll get a better idea in the fall.

Redbird 4th & short
May 28th, 2021, 05:53 AM

yeesh ... ISUr needs to start poaching SDSU backup QBs. We can't find one good QB .. you guys stack them 3 deep.

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2021, 01:39 AM
War has been declared.

https://twitter.com/kumandgo/status/1403893457500901379

SDFS
June 13th, 2021, 10:20 AM
War has been declared.

In MN I find Kwik Trips are much better than Caseys.

TheKingpin28
June 14th, 2021, 02:05 PM
War has been declared.

Shots fired

SDFS
June 16th, 2021, 06:49 PM
WIU might have a home in the OVC with how everything has shaken, but I wonder if the OVC is willing to take them on outside of getting desperate for a football body. The profile of the OVC has shifted some with the recent movements and they seem to be at a MVC like crossroad. Do you embrace the private school side of things and work on the basketball side of the conference or do you try to grab football schools - or D2 move ups - that are more Tennessee/Alabama/Georgia geographically. Both of those situations don't bode well for WIU.

I think the interesting point on Football, is that the ASun is also in the area you describe and has already poached EKU and JSU. Plus, I thought that I read that Austin Peay could be ASun bound also. So, that could put the OVC at 6 football schools by 2022 or 2023. Then the additional competition in the southern region for schools by the Southland. If the SWAC schools fall through (which many sources are saying). They could be looking at schools East of Louisiana also (Alabama and Mississippi). So, does the OVC look at two schools from MVFC - WIU and YSU. Competing in the MVFC is getting expensive.

FWIW, UNC might get a Summit invite and might end up in the MVFC. I have no information on that side of it. I do know what I've heard regarding a smaller realignment happening regarding the MVC, and it involves a level of smoke that goes well beyond being just fans trying to justify a reason why a school might leave and flirting that gets nowhere(Murray State). The smoke over a 12 team MVC is quite strong and could involve a spot opening for UNC in the Summit. If the MVFC wanted 12 that would be a way to do it. You could go divisions with Summit and MVC+YSU sides but trade WIU and MSU due to geography. Play the 5 in your division and 3 crossovers. Imbalance would be an issue that would have to be worked out I would guess.

So, let see who you are talking about with a 12 Team MVC:

MVC has 10 teams: 5 - Private/ 5- Public - I assume that this balance must be maintained. So, you are talking about 1 private and 1 public. I assume that one Public is "Murray State". So, that leaves one Private from the Summit: which would be St. Thomas, Denver or Oral Roberts.

* Denver was already considered once and they would not add sports. So, unless that changes that is still "No".
* Oral Roberts - thinking hard "No" on academia side of things.
* St. Thomas - if they are the choice, is this going to happen after the transition is complete (in 4 years)?

So, you are talking about Murray State and St. Thomas joining the MVC down the road?

SDFS
June 16th, 2021, 07:05 PM
One other source that has been spot on with the WAC changes - had this to say about the MVC (one school in Texas (rumor UT-Arlington) and one other school in the South). So, I guess that would be non cost control. But, how does the Summit League play into that equation?

The latest on D-1 conference realignment updates: The WAC, Southland, America East and more: - Extra Points with Matt BrownCommentShareCommentShare (extrapointsmb.com) (https://www.extrapointsmb.com/the-latest-on-d-1-conference-realignment/)

I’ve been hearing that the league would like to expand to 12 basketball playing members. Under the cost-control / institutional-alignment model, you’d probably expect any expansion candidates to closely align to the current Midwestern footprint…think Horizon League, for example, or Ohio Valley Conference.

And hey, that’s certainly possible. Cleveland State was a name that popped up in a few conversations, as has Murray State.

But two different industry insiders told me to watch for the MVC to potentially grab a school considerably *outside* of the Midwest. Think Texas. Think elsewhere in the South.

The thinking, as I understand it, is that travel concerns are somewhat mitigated if the expansion candidate is near a major city (and major airport). Gaining access to a new “market” might have some fringe benefits in future media deals, but the bigger prize is the ability to advertise MVC schools in that metropolitan area, which could make it easier to recruit new athletes and regular students.

For what it’s worth, the Missouri Valley used to stretch way further south. North Texas, Tulsa and New Mexico State were all former members. And the league’s new commissioner, Jeff Jackson, was a long-time Big 12 staffer. That footprint would not be completely foreign.

nodak651
June 20th, 2021, 07:09 PM
I think if they grab a Summit school, Oral Roberts makes sense as they are in a bigger southern city and they have made a recent splash this year with their March Madness run. Not that I think it's likely.

ysubigred
June 23rd, 2021, 09:48 AM
yeesh ... ISUr needs to start poaching SDSU backup QBs. We can't find one good QB .. you guys stack them 3 deep.

I'll take your worst QB over YSU's best.. It's been 20 plus years since YSU had a QB worth a ****!

Paladin1aa
June 24th, 2021, 05:13 PM
I'll take your worst QB over YSU's best.. It's been 20 plus years since YSU had a QB worth a ****!

LOL ! No doubt. YSU just added their EIGHT QB with a transfer from Army, all 5’10 of him. Didn’t play at Army and may not play at YSU. All 8 on the roster are not very good. Looking at a one or two win season coming up.

No quality AD.

No quality coach.

No quality players.

Perfect trifecta !

(Actually, within the last 20 years they had Kurt Hess ,under the Wolf ,who broke many YSU passing records. But they had no D and were losing 48-45 type games. )

ysubigred
June 24th, 2021, 08:11 PM
LOL ! No doubt. YSU just added their EIGHT QB with a transfer from Army, all 5’10 of him. Didn’t play at Army and may not play at YSU. All 8 on the roster are not very good. Looking at a one or two win season coming up.

No quality AD.

No quality coach.

No quality players.

Perfect trifecta !

(Actually, within the last 20 years they had Kurt Hess ,under the Wolf ,who broke many YSU passing records. But they had no D and were losing 48-45 type games. )Hess sucked! We went down this road before. Won the games he was supposed to, folded like a cheap suit in the MVFC.

Stop the wolf / hess love fest,,, didn't win **** with them either..

YSU is cursed [emoji2962]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
June 24th, 2021, 10:01 PM
Hess sucked! We went down this road before. Won the games he was supposed to, folded like a cheap suit in the MVFC.

Cursed ? No. But they are incredibly stupid since Tressel left. Poor AD who destroyed football. Many poor HC who couldn’t or wouldn’t recruit and poor players recruited heavily from the area. Decidedly inferior program now.

acbearkat
June 25th, 2021, 08:35 AM
Cursed ? No. But they are incredibly stupid since Tressel left. Poor AD who destroyed football. Many poor HC who couldn’t or wouldn’t recruit and poor players recruited heavily from the area. Decidedly inferior program now.

Isn't Jim Tressel the school president for Youngstown State? If so, he can fix the situation by hiring a new athletic director who hires a good coach.

Paladin1aa
June 25th, 2021, 11:40 AM
Tressel left years ago when this started. In fact, the AD was one of his boys, a former player. He recommended him, then off to Ohio St. The AD proceeded to destroy the athletic dept money sports. Hired many poor coaches, extended their contracts and endorsed recruiting lots of local athletes . Tressel has never been able to bring himself to admit failure. Thus the fact he is now back as YSU Prez changes nothing. And the politics is heavy handed to keep recruiting local boys who are decidedly inferior D-I athletes. So, this isn’t going to change for the foreseeable future.

clenz
June 25th, 2021, 03:58 PM
I think if they grab a Summit school, Oral Roberts makes sense as they are in a bigger southern city and they have made a recent splash this year with their March Madness run. Not that I think it's likely.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/fs0idQwq7jQAZKfqfm/giphy.gif

The city of Tulsa being the main reason. Just as the City of Arlington/DFW being then big draw for UTA.

The ship on Murray is gone from both sides. The Valley moved in and Murray has new leadership from when the talks were hottest

It's cheaper to get to DFW from Des Moines than Murray even with the distance difference.
The Tulsa metro is growing at a pretty fast rate, is just last month announced it top the 1 million mark. It's a market the MVC was in before, and getting back into it would be nice. I have issues with ORU similar to GCU or Liberty, but for a 12th I can handle it with the footprint growth.

Also from a longevity point, even though the two aren't in the MVC footprint, they could save the MVC in a strange way. With WSU gone (and to a lesser extent Creighton) and they being replaced by a Chicago school - and a school SE of Chicago in Indiana - MSU has become far more isolated. That has had them unhappy, and could have caused them to take long hard took like the new WAC, the SLC, left overs, or some hair brained SBC move.

ORU would give them a neighbor, and one that is just as in the footprint as WSU was. Tulsa is about 80-90 miles closer to Springfield than Wichita.

Arlington gets relatively far out of the footprint, HOWEVER, the Valley already has DBU in the conference for baseball. Arlington and DBU make a hell of a swing for conference play. They are less than a half hour apart.

That also makes ORU and MSU an easy swing for baseball/softball - and well, every other sport that has travel partners.

It keeps the public/private split though the football/non-football split becomes even larger and in the future could be an issue still, but in general we'd have more stability at 12 with those two.

acbearkat
June 25th, 2021, 09:50 PM

ORU has had a good men’s basketball and baseball program for a long time.

SDFS
June 29th, 2021, 10:08 AM
The city of Tulsa being the main reason. Just as the City of Arlington/DFW being then big draw for UTA.

The ship on Murray is gone from both sides. The Valley moved in and Murray has new leadership from when the talks were hottest

It's cheaper to get to DFW from Des Moines than Murray even with the distance difference.
The Tulsa metro is growing at a pretty fast rate, is just last month announced it top the 1 million mark. It's a market the MVC was in before, and getting back into it would be nice. I have issues with ORU similar to GCU or Liberty, but for a 12th I can handle it with the footprint growth.

Also from a longevity point, even though the two aren't in the MVC footprint, they could save the MVC in a strange way. With WSU gone (and to a lesser extent Creighton) and they being replaced by a Chicago school - and a school SE of Chicago in Indiana - MSU has become far more isolated. That has had them unhappy, and could have caused them to take long hard took like the new WAC, the SLC, left overs, or some hair brained SBC move.

ORU would give them a neighbor, and one that is just as in the footprint as WSU was. Tulsa is about 80-90 miles closer to Springfield than Wichita.

Arlington gets relatively far out of the footprint, HOWEVER, the Valley already has DBU in the conference for baseball. Arlington and DBU make a hell of a swing for conference play. They are less than a half hour apart.

That also makes ORU and MSU an easy swing for baseball/softball - and well, every other sport that has travel partners.

It keeps the public/private split though the football/non-football split becomes even larger and in the future could be an issue still, but in general we'd have more stability at 12 with those two.

Little surprised by ORU being the target:

- The profile for private schools in the MVC is diverse. But, I believe that ORU will be the first Evangelical school. Everyone is on board with that?
- ORU has bounced around lately, Summit League to Southland and then back to Summit League. If MVC was targeting them it seems like it could have happened already with all the movement.
- It always seems like ORU is about to go broke and they have been saved several times by Green family owner of Hobby Lobby. Plus, they only have an Endowment of $37 million.
- It seems like a risky move to get into a market of a million residents.

Again, nothing against ORU athletics - they have been very good in Basketball and Baseball for many years.

ST_Lawson
June 29th, 2021, 12:05 PM
- ORU has bounced around lately, Summit League to Southland and then back to Summit League. If MVC was targeting them it seems like it could have happened already with all the movement.

Idk about the other issues, but I think regarding the issue of moving around conferences, it was more a situation where it looked like the Summit was falling apart (UMKC was looking heavily at the WAC at the time, Southern Utah was leaving, Centenary had just dropped to DIII, etc.) so they made a move that looked like it'd be more stable and improve their baseball situation. After a few years and the additions USD, Omaha, and Denver, things were looking better in the Summit, so they made the jump back. Considering what's going on with the Southland, it was probably a good idea.

I think they've always just kinda been stuck on the fringes of all potential conference options...Summit League, Horizon League, WAC, Southland, and Missouri Valley...in any of those leagues, they'd be the furthest team in one direction or another, in some cases quite a ways outside the "footprint", so they've been fairly willing to jump to other leagues if they think it's a better situation. Now they've had a nice NCAA run, they have quite a large basketball venue (Maybee Center holds just over 11,000 people for basketball), and they're in a decently large market (it'd be the second largest in the MVC behind Loyola-Chicago)...then I could see them getting interest from a league like the MVC, assuming the rest of the league is ok with their other issues.

clenz
June 29th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Little surprised by ORU being the target:

- The profile for private schools in the MVC is diverse. But, I believe that ORU will be the first Evangelical school. Everyone is on board with that?
- It always seems like ORU is about to go broke and they have been saved several times by Green family owner of Hobby Lobby. Plus, they only have an Endowment of $37 million.
- It seems like a risky move to get into a market of a million residents.

Again, nothing against ORU athletics - they have been very good in Basketball and Baseball for many years.
The evangelical bull**** I would have some pause about. Would I rather not? Sure. They are a poorman's Liberty or GCU - and my thoughts on Liberty and GCU are pretty well known. Based on what I know, have heard, 99.9% of people would rather have SLU or Belmont. However, SLU has less than zero interest in joining the MVC (poor man Creighton in many ways) and Belmont would rather be the biggest fish in a tiny pond that is the OVC.

Bouncing around? Lawson covered it. UTA has also done some of it. Fans from Dakota schools don't seem to realize the full history of The Summit. The Summit was on a literal death bed. It's why the DSU's were invited. Even after the DSU's membership continued the trend of being all over and the conference being in danger. Being a southern school in a conference of northern schools they wanted something that was a "better" and more stable fit. In the MVC we've heard MSU talk about the same thing. The Ozark region is so vastly different than anything those of us in the UMW are in terms of university fit. The move to the SLC made sense. The SLC also ended up being a complete disaster - culimating in the Texas 4 splitting and all of the WAC/ASUN/etc. moves the last year or two. ORU felt that instability, the Summit stabilized some (relative to where it was) but still needed (and still does) schools. ORU was extended an offer to come back and be a stabilizing piece. They accepted.

Their financial side? I don't know a ton of their back end financial situation. I can't say I've spent a lot of time looking at it like I have other schools. I did some quick research, and their endowment is low, but it seems in terms of total financial shape they are in better shape than they have been in a long time. Their total debts are less than half of what they were a decade ago and was set to be down to just a third of that total (as of 2019). I don't know how COVID impacted them, it impacted everyone outside of the top of the top of the P5s. Endowments are super hit or miss when it comes to looking at a universities financial status - especially as it related to athletic departments.

Market size? They'd be the second largest market in the Valley. Let's not act like 1.2 million is a small market. You wouldn't question getting into a market of roughly that size if it was OKC. Mind you the OKC metro is 1.4. The Tulsa CSA is 1.2. Would you, or anyone, question the Valley getting into a market the size of OKC? I would bet not. Turns out Tulsa is growing pretty quick. Take a look at any of the other markets in the Valley

UNI - Depending how you want to split the Cedar Valley it's about 175-200k
Des Moines - about 750k
ISUr - about 200k
Bradley - 400k
Valpo - doesn't fit into any MSA/CSA so they are about 34k
MSU - 450k
SIU 130K
ISUb - 170k
Evansville - 350k
Loyola - 10 million - thank you Chicago

Again, Tulsa isn't a small market when you are looking at the vast majority of the MM conferences.

As I've said before - when coupled with UTA it makes sense. MSU's island goes away. Baseball addition in both ORU and UTA to go along with DBU down there. Large airports to make up for travel time. Murray is closer to the MVC but getting to Murray compared to ORU is

SDFS
June 30th, 2021, 12:09 AM
Oh, I get the Summit League being on the death bed. I was shocked and kind of relieved when UND end up in the Big Sky. If USD had gone to the Big Sky with UND I think things would look much different today for the Summit League. But, when USD went with the Summit League it ultimately cast UND into purgatory. Granted I preferred Big Sky over the Summit League. But, they both have their pros and cons. I do think that the Summit League has stabilized a lot and has some really nice regional midwest markets (16 - Minneapolis (3.66), 19 - Denver (2.99), 31 - Kanas City (2.17), 54 - Tulsa (1.00), 57 - Omaha (0.95) that are at or near a million. This definitely helps the Dakota schools having access to those markets. St. Louis and Chicago are the only two large major markets in the midwest that the Summit League does not have access to at this time. And most of the Dakota schools use the MVFC schools to get into the Chicago, Indiana and Michigan cities. So, using the combination of MVFC and Summit League schools they have access to all the major midwest markets.

The pairing with MSU makes sense. I had kind of viewed the Bears as a potential flight risk with the ASUN stuff. They kind of fits in with the Central Arkansas move. Not sure what the appeal for FBS was for MSU but I thought the hiring of Patrino is interesting.

POD Knows
June 30th, 2021, 07:58 AM
The evangelical bull**** I would have some pause about. Would I rather not? Sure. They are a poorman's Liberty or GCU - and my thoughts on Liberty and GCU are pretty well known. Based on what I know, have heard, 99.9% of people would rather have SLU or Belmont. However, SLU has less than zero interest in joining the MVC (poor man Creighton in many ways) and Belmont would rather be the biggest fish in a tiny pond that is the OVC.

Bouncing around? Lawson covered it. UTA has also done some of it. Fans from Dakota schools don't seem to realize the full history of The Summit. The Summit was on a literal death bed. It's why the DSU's were invited. Even after the DSU's membership continued the trend of being all over and the conference being in danger. Being a southern school in a conference of northern schools they wanted something that was a "better" and more stable fit. In the MVC we've heard MSU talk about the same thing. The Ozark region is so vastly different than anything those of us in the UMW are in terms of university fit. The move to the SLC made sense. The SLC also ended up being a complete disaster - culimating in the Texas 4 splitting and all of the WAC/ASUN/etc. moves the last year or two. ORU felt that instability, the Summit stabilized some (relative to where it was) but still needed (and still does) schools. ORU was extended an offer to come back and be a stabilizing piece. They accepted.

Their financial side? I don't know a ton of their back end financial situation. I can't say I've spent a lot of time looking at it like I have other schools. I did some quick research, and their endowment is low, but it seems in terms of total financial shape they are in better shape than they have been in a long time. Their total debts are less than half of what they were a decade ago and was set to be down to just a third of that total (as of 2019). I don't know how COVID impacted them, it impacted everyone outside of the top of the top of the P5s. Endowments are super hit or miss when it comes to looking at a universities financial status - especially as it related to athletic departments.

Market size? They'd be the second largest market in the Valley. Let's not act like 1.2 million is a small market. You wouldn't question getting into a market of roughly that size if it was OKC. Mind you the OKC metro is 1.4. The Tulsa CSA is 1.2. Would you, or anyone, question the Valley getting into a market the size of OKC? I would bet not. Turns out Tulsa is growing pretty quick. Take a look at any of the other markets in the Valley

UNI - Depending how you want to split the Cedar Valley it's about 175-200k
Des Moines - about 750k
ISUr - about 200k
Bradley - 400k
Valpo - doesn't fit into any MSA/CSA so they are about 34k
MSU - 450k
SIU 130K
ISUb - 170k
Evansville - 350k
Loyola - 10 million - thank you Chicago

Again, Tulsa isn't a small market when you are looking at the vast majority of the MM conferences.

As I've said before - when coupled with UTA it makes sense. MSU's island goes away. Baseball addition in both ORU and UTA to go along with DBU down there. Large airports to make up for travel time. Murray is closer to the MVC but getting to Murray compared to ORU is
Keep your ****ing politics and religious bigotry out of the FCS threads, :D

Professor Chaos
July 27th, 2021, 09:02 AM
Preseason poll and all-conference team released: https://valley-football.org/documents/2021/7/26//2021_MVFC_Preseason_Poll.pdf?id=1133

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsM6szKxgM

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2021, 10:56 AM
YSU released its 2021 Fall roster. An incredible 40 players from the Mahoning Valley are listed. Besides having an incompetent AD, an inexperienced HC and little talent, the political demands of recruiting area athletes dooms the program. One or two win season coming up.

ST_Lawson
August 2nd, 2021, 07:44 AM
YSU released its 2021 Fall roster. An incredible 40 players from the Mahoning Valley are listed. Besides having an incompetent AD, an inexperienced HC and little talent, the political demands of recruiting area athletes dooms the program. One or two win season coming up.

We'll fight you for last place.

Paladin1aa
August 2nd, 2021, 10:58 AM
I think we already threw in the towel. Roaring dumpster fire here !

ysubigred
August 2nd, 2021, 02:45 PM

HA! as you seen in the spring YSU is no match for the mighty bull dogs!!

xslapfightx

Puddin Tane
August 2nd, 2021, 10:58 PM

interesting. WIU is now up to 5 ex Lamar players.

ST_Lawson
August 3rd, 2021, 10:20 AM
interesting. WIU is now up to 5 ex Lamar players.

You've become our "recruiting pipeline".

Puddin Tane
August 3rd, 2021, 05:25 PM

looks like it. getting our college hoppers. i think this is number 4 for a couple of em. 1 is really good, another was leading the SLC in tackles year fore last before he ripped up achilles, . 2 are pretty good ball players, 1 didnt play much down here

if im looking to rebuild, Lamar is my first choice of poaching athletes..ha

ST_Lawson
August 3rd, 2021, 06:47 PM
looks like it. getting our college hoppers. i think this is number 4 for a couple of em. 1 is really good, another was leading the SLC in tackles year fore last before he ripped up achilles, . 2 are pretty good ball players, 1 didnt play much down here

if im looking to rebuild, Lamar is my first choice of poaching athletes..ha

I'm not quite sure how "middle of nowhere Illinois" is better than "near the gulf coast and Houston" except when it comes to weather from late spring to early fall (https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/12138~9632/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Macomb-and-Beaumont). Maybe the coaches promised them they wouldn't die during outdoor summer practices.

clenz
August 3rd, 2021, 08:49 PM
I...uh

Says a lot about the quality of the SLC and Lamar overall if they are the recruiting pipeline to go to the 11th place MVFC program.

Puddin Tane
August 4th, 2021, 01:20 AM
I...uh

Says a lot about the quality of the SLC and Lamar overall if they are the recruiting pipeline to go to the 11th place MVFC program.

Hmmm....maybe the other way around? 5 kids from lowly Lamar gonna be starting in the mighty mvfc?

Puddin Tane
August 4th, 2021, 01:24 AM
I'm not quite sure how "middle of nowhere Illinois" is better than "near the gulf coast and Houston" except when it comes to weather from late spring to early fall (https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/12138~9632/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Macomb-and-Beaumont). Maybe the coaches promised them they wouldn't die during outdoor summer practices.

a couple of em are heavily inked. Maybe free tattoos?

ST_Lawson
August 4th, 2021, 08:02 AM
a couple of em are heavily inked. Maybe free tattoos?

Weed is legal here.

caribbeanhen
August 4th, 2021, 08:37 AM
Weed is legal here.

let’s do the Pick em St L

my luck is bound to run out one of these years xcoffeex

ST_Lawson
August 4th, 2021, 09:02 AM

The guy who does it says he's currently working on a new version, but I'll be sure to post it here as soon as he's ready to roll it out.

clenz
August 4th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Hmmm....maybe the other way around? 5 kids from lowly Lamar gonna be starting in the mighty mvfc?
I'm pretty sure AGS could put together a team that could roll out there most Saturdays with WIU right now, FWIW.

ysubigred
August 4th, 2021, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure AGS could put together a team that could roll out there most Saturdays with WIU right now, FWIW.

Not the might guins.. Couldn't beat a state HS champ at the present moment..

Paladin1aa
August 4th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Not the might guins.. Couldn't beat a state HS champ at the present moment..

Speaking of the Guins, here’s the latest news - YSU signed a QB. Judah Holtzclaw. 6’6, 220. This kid is from a notorious outlaw program in Ohio, Bishop Sycamore, a private school combo of h.s. And prep school players playing National prominent h.s. programs. He played at Westerville Central but didn’t attract D-I offers. He had planned to do a prep year at Bishop Sycamore, but YSU offered a scholly. Translation - another project for a roster full of projects.

There is no drama at YSU this year. Only comedy ! 😎

ysubigred
August 5th, 2021, 07:04 AM
Speaking of the Guins, here’s the latest news - YSU signed a QB. Judah Holtzclaw. 6’6, 220. This kid is from a notorious outlaw program in Ohio, Bishop Sycamore, a private school combo of h.s. And prep school players playing National prominent h.s. programs. He played at Westerville Central but didn’t attract D-I offers. He had planned to do a prep year at Bishop Sycamore, but YSU offered a scholly. Translation - another project for a roster full of projects.

There is no drama at YSU this year. Only comedy ! 

I seen that. One of my insiders said he's a hard worker and pretty smart. Good size and moves well so there's that.. What's puzzling to me is YSU has a 2 and 3 star QB recruit on the roster, but am I right to think stars don't mean ****? It'll be interesting. The 1st game will tell a lot. UIW isn't a push over and being a TX team you know they'll come to play.

Time will tell.

I'd rather have comedy than drama... xtwocentsx

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2021, 07:41 AM
I seen that. One of my insiders said he's a hard worker and pretty smart. Good size and moves well so there's that.. What's puzzling to me is YSU has a 2 and 3 star QB recruit on the roster, but am I right to think stars don't mean ****? It'll be interesting. The 1st game will tell a lot. UIW isn't a push over and being a TX team you know they'll come to play.

Time will tell.

Insider ? If you mean one of the guys from the other board, you are talking to the gullible. Indeed , the opener could be an eye opener. YSU, a bottom feeder program vs a middle of the pack new program. Hey, we had the drama with Pelini. Now it’s time for comedy with all the clowns.

ysubigred
August 5th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Insider ? If you mean one of the guys from the other board, you are talking to the gullible. Indeed , the opener could be an eye opener. YSU, a bottom feeder program vs a middle of the pack new program. Hey, we had the drama with Pelini. Now it’s time for comedy with all the clowns.

No, I have a friend of the family who works in the admissions department for Veterans.

Well the spring team was not destroyed by any means by the MVFC. Was that promising or a fluke?

We'll see!

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2021, 12:05 PM
No, I have a friend of the family who works in the admissions department for Veterans.

Well the spring team was not destroyed by any means by the MVFC. Was that promising or a fluke?

We'll see!

Going 1-6 is promising ? Cancelling the last game to avoid another azz whupping ? No QB. No OL. No WRs. Great RB.

Yes, we will see. 😂

The MVFC is licking their chops !

The Yo Show
August 5th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Hess sucked! We went down this road before. Won the games he was supposed to, folded like a cheap suit in the MVFC.

Red, I know YSU didn't win any championship or anything with Kurt Hess, but I have to agree with Paladin here. Hess was a decent QB. The issue we had with those teams was defense. If we had a good defense those years, we would have been pretty dangerous. Hess is better than any QB we have had since, and even if you disagree with what else was said you can't disagree with that statement.

The Yo Show
August 5th, 2021, 12:42 PM
I am optimistic for the season. I don't expect us to be competing for playoffs or anything, but I am hoping for more than 2 wins. I guess we will see what happens. There were some rays of hope in the terrible spring season. Will have to see what comes out of it.

ysubigred
August 5th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Going 1-6 is promising ? Cancelling the last game to avoid another azz whupping ? No QB. No OL. No WRs. Great RB.

Yes, we will see. 

The MVFC is licking their chops !

Could have been 1-6 with 56-0 games. Last I checked YSU gave the cream of the crop MVFC some challenge. I was pissed about the CXL also. Don't know if UND was going to give any ass wuppings! As usual playing not to lose in games we were wining didn't help SIU ~ SDSU...

Just saying..

ysubigred
August 5th, 2021, 12:56 PM
Red, I know YSU didn't win any championship or anything with Kurt Hess, but I have to agree with Paladin here. Hess was a decent QB. The issue we had with those teams was defense. If we had a good defense those years, we would have been pretty dangerous. Hess is better than any QB we have had since, and even if you disagree with what else was said you can't disagree with that statement.

Hess's numbers against the MVFC was horrible. To say he's better than the QB's since is accurate,, "IF" Well's had more guts to take a hit or run when given the opportunity would have won more but he did manage a 2016 run that was incredible! Stevie Wonder could throw passes better than the one's we had in the spring. Bottom line: YSU will never be considered QB U..

Good QB's find a way to win, Hess didn't when the competition wasn't the blind center or Jerry's kids.. xtwocentsx

caribbeanhen
August 5th, 2021, 01:10 PM
I am optimistic for the season. I don't expect us to be competing for playoffs or anything, but I am hoping for more than 2 wins. I guess we will see what happens. There were some rays of hope in the terrible spring season. Will have to see what comes out of it.

your RB was one of the best I saw last year, he’ll win you a few games by himself

ysubigred
August 5th, 2021, 01:17 PM
your RB was one of the best I saw last year, he’ll win you a few games by himself

Yup and he did it against an all MVFC schedule that was aware we had no QB's that could throw further than 6 yards with accuracy, a patch and fill O-line and a discombobulated coaching staff.. "IF" they fix one of the 4 I mentioned he'll even look better..

Puddin Tane
August 5th, 2021, 02:02 PM

Time will tell.

UIW is my sleeper in the Southland. If they are clicking on offense, they are fun to watch. Somebody open on every play seems like. They will put up some points. But.......then theres that no defense thing going on.

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2021, 03:16 PM

That is correct. D was the failure of those years. Hess was outstanding. And Wolf was the only coach since Tressel that could actually recruit talent.

YSU fans are in for a shock this season. And if McLaughlin goes down, they won’t win another game. No QB. No OL. No WRs. Great RB. D will be average or better, but not great.

ysubigred
August 5th, 2021, 06:27 PM
That is correct. D was the failure of those years. Hess was outstanding. And Wolf was the only coach since Tressel that could actually recruit talent.

YSU fans are in for a shock this season. And if McLaughlin goes down, they won’t win another game. No QB. No OL. No WRs. Great RB. D will be average or better, but not great.Lol.. you need to be on the raw raw board. D was a failure? Sounds like Dan? You Dan? Hess couldn't beat the MVFC PERIOD! Wolf could recruit talent but couldn't coach said talent.. Even Marino won big games with no D..

acbearkat
August 5th, 2021, 09:36 PM
Lol.. you need to be on the raw raw board. D was a failure? Sounds like Dan? You Dan? Hess couldn't beat the MVFC PERIOD! Wolf could recruit talent but couldn't coach said talent.. Even Marino won big games with no D..

“Wolf could recruit talent but couldn’t coach said talent”. That sounds like Tom Herman and his staff at Texas.

ysubigred
August 5th, 2021, 09:48 PM
UIW is my sleeper in the Southland. If they are clicking on offense, they are fun to watch. Somebody open on every play seems like. They will put up some points. But.......then theres that no defense thing going on.Really looking forward to this game. Love visiting the UIW campus when I go to San Antonio for inspection visits. Funny you mentioned UIW no D? YSU has no O and a decent D...

I'll call it, 6-4 3 OT's [emoji1787]

Puddin Tane
August 5th, 2021, 11:14 PM
Really looking forward to this game. Love visiting the UIW campus when I go to San Antonio for inspection visits. Funny you mentioned UIW no D? YSU has no O and a decent D...

naw, they can score, but you dont need much of an offense to score on em

i’ll go 40 something to 40 something. 1ot

ysubigred
August 6th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Not sure about that ^^ YSU couldn't score 40+ on a 3rd grade girls flag football team xbangx

ST_Lawson
August 20th, 2021, 03:55 PM

Ok folks...

https://i.imgur.com/KlD5m6F.gif

2021 MVFC Pigskin Parlay is here - http://ip-198-12-248-7.ip.secureserver.net:3000/mvfc (http://ip-198-12-248-7.ip.secureserver.net:3000/mvfc)

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Way too early (or is it???) fall conference power ranking (IMO):

1. SDSU - Does Gronowski miss all or part of the fall? If so, SDSU is vulnerable but still the favorite IMO.
2. NDSU - Big questions at QB... if they can get that figured out the rest of the team is still loaded so the sky's the limit.
3. UND - Exceeded expectations this spring to set themselves up for success in the fall. They need to beef up their D-line depth though if they want to contend again in the fall.
4. SIU - Unlike most other MVFC teams they've got multiple good QBs it seems and Javon Williams Jr isn't bad throwing it either as an all-conference RB but I'm not sold on their defense.
5. UNI - You'd think they'll bounce back from a disappointing spring... their defense will be tough as nails as usual.
6. Missouri St - I'm not sold on the Bears yet, they had a fortuitous schedule in the spring and won some squeakers but they've got more momentum than they've had in years.
7. Illinois St - Not sure what's going on here but it seems like there's some internal issues with this team that might derail them in the fall.
8. YSU - They're better than their 1-6 record in the spring indicated but it's a tough climb with the emergence of teams like UND and Missouri St in addition to the perennial powers.
9. USD - Seems like this program has been stuck in neutral ever since Chris Streveler left.
10. WIU - It looks to me like WIU is a long way from contending even for a playoff spot still.
11. Indiana St - They'll have 21 months between games by the time they kick off this fall. Who knows what to expect but my expectations are low.

There was a ton of youth in the conference this spring so the level of play should be even better by the fall. Considering the conference put 5 teams in the playoffs with only a 16 team field you'd have to imagine 5 is very doable again with a 24 team field... possibly even 6 if things shake out right.

Yes to derailment, but not so sure due to internal issues. We just had so much talent on our 2019 team, especially on defense, and despite horrible QB play on offense ... that got decimated by pandemic and graduation:

- S - Kirk graduated, and getting good NFL shots
- S - Uphoff stepped aside after fall canceled to prep for NFL - has real shot to make GB
- CB - Taylor did FBS transfer, started at VA tech and seemed to do well
- CB - Woods did FBS transfer after spring to WV - we'll see if he starts. he is very talented lock down defender
- DE - McKnight did FBS transfer to UNC-Charlotte ..did ok, 5 starts, 24 tackles, 5 TFLs .. not sure if injured ?
- DT - Ridgeway did FBS transfer to Arkansas after spring - we'll see how he does. He transferred entirely for NFL prospects. He was local boy and loved playing for ISU.

Plus lost LBers Deforest, Washington, Draka, Jack/LB Clark to graduation; DE Lewan and DT Podkulski to injury. Only LB Vandenburg and eventual starterJack/DE Simon, plus 2nd string DT Powel returns from that defense. Maybe Lewan recovers in time, per recent reports, but Podkulski is done.

So only CB Woods possibly transferred because he wasn't happy, but maybe he also thought he needed FBS to improve NFL looks .. no idea. Also Draka could have played spring (and therefore this fall), but opted to graduate on time. Spack wears people out, but Draka didn't seem like that type.

We'll reload on defense, but most of Redbird Nation sees 6-5 or 5-6. And many realize 4-7 is much more likely than 6-5. I'm in later group .. but we'll be back in 2022 ... lot of young talent. Surprisingly, RB position is least of our concerns on offense. QB is definite concern in Redbird Nation .... and in other news, the sun is expected rise again today.

Spack knows how to build defenses and run games ... passing, not so much. QB Jefferson has true dual threat skills and is very good in/out of pocket, except throwing on run - he takes way too many dumb chances ... aside from that Mrs Lincoln .......... If he solves that, he will be good. If not, we will see true FR Waring at QB ... many MVFC schools recruited him and couple FBS.

But we'll be back in 2022.

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2021, 06:56 AM

bye

I was trying to find a good screenshot or video of his infamous any one, any place, any time thing ... but all evidnce appears to have been scraped from the worldwide web ??

So you get this ...

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-27-2015/xRm8Q2.gif

Paladin1aa
August 26th, 2021, 07:25 AM
Really looking forward to this game. Love visiting the UIW campus when I go to San Antonio for inspection visits. Funny you mentioned UIW no D? YSU has no O and a decent D...

Not sure YSU is ready. Appears they will start a Frosh at QB ( Crenshaw) and have 2 new transfer starters at WR ( from Kentucky and Lehigh ). Problem is it’s the same old weak OL. I’m expecting lots of mistakes and serious growing pains. UIW is a toss up game at best.

As for San Antonio, I love the Riverwalk. I’m a wining and dining kind of guy. Great food, restaurants and bars.

Professor Chaos
August 26th, 2021, 07:56 AM
SDSU names Samford transfer Chris Oladokun as their QB1 to start the season: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2021/08/25/south-dakota-state-names-chris-oladokun-starting-quarterback-usf-chooses-adam-mullen/5591771001/

Chalupa Batman
August 26th, 2021, 09:23 PM
2021 MVFC preseason all conference 2nd team QB has entered the transfer portal. Based on the way he performed at the end of the spring season I wouldn’t have thought for sure he was the starting QB this fall.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210827/3dd94b43322b69a84ba2fc39f0dbd757.jpg

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2021, 09:53 PM
2021 MVFC preseason all conference 2nd team QB has entered the transfer portal. Based on the way he performed at the end of the spring season I wouldn’t have thought for sure he was the starting QB this fall.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210827/3dd94b43322b69a84ba2fc39f0dbd757.jpg

Is he going to latch on with North American?

skinny_uncle
August 27th, 2021, 12:49 AM
Is he going to latch on with North American?

Baker got named the starter and Stone bailed.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2021, 05:09 AM
Baker got named the starter and Stone bailed.g

Stone is a gameday player, practice probably not the best way to show his skills. My North American comment was just it seems kind of late for this year

ysubigred
August 27th, 2021, 07:09 AM
g

Stone is a gameday player, practice probably not the best way to show his skills. My North American comment was just it seems kind of late for this year

Is YSU considered North America? Stone would look good with a big Y on his hat..

Paladin1aa
August 27th, 2021, 07:36 AM
Is YSU considered North America? Stone would look good with a big Y on his hat..

Really ? There are already 7 QBs on the roster and it’s a circus right now. But, hey, we are looking for a real QB. Send him on down,lol

The Yo Show
August 27th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Interesting to see how the QB battles do play out here for YSU.

ysubigred
August 27th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Really ? There are already 7 QBs on the roster and it’s a circus right now. But, hey, we are looking for a real QB. Send him on down,lolExactly. Like I said from the 4 or 5 QB's I seen @ YSU my 11 year old granddaughter can throw further with more accuracy and velocity. Let alone make a good decision...

Paladin1aa
August 27th, 2021, 09:52 AM
Interesting to see how the QB battles do play out here for YSU.

Not sure it matters, Yo. There are so many weakness on the team and the QBs all have low ceiling levels, so QB is not the answer for a successful season . Still looking at a 2 win season. Incompetent AD, inexperienced coach and years of weak recruiting all leave a mark . Fans will have to learn to live with it because they allowed it all to happen.

Professor Chaos
August 27th, 2021, 11:57 AM
NDSU is expected to make their choice at starting QB public any day now. The rumors I've heard are that it'll be Virginia Tech transfer Quincy Patterson over returning freshman Cam Miller who finished last spring as the starter.

I still contend that NDSU has had little drop off at most positions groups from the undefeated 2019 team outside of QB (which was a huuuuge drop off - LB might be questionable also) so whoever wins that competition will probably determine whether the spring season was a roadbump for the NDSU football machine or if it is starting to break down.

POD Knows
August 27th, 2021, 12:05 PM
NDSU is expected to make their choice at starting QB public any day now. The rumors I've heard are that it'll be Virginia Tech transfer Quincy Patterson over returning freshman Cam Miller who finished last spring as the starter.

I still contend that NDSU has had little drop off at most positions groups from the undefeated 2019 team outside of QB (which was a huuuuge drop off - LB might be questionable also) so whoever wins that competition will probably determine whether the spring season was a roadbump for the NDSU football machine or if it is starting to break down.
O-Line should be better hopefully, still worried about our secondary play, lots of questions I think.

ysubigred
August 27th, 2021, 12:08 PM
O-Line should be better hopefully, still worried about our secondary play, lots of questions I think.Yeah yous asswipes have big worries..

NDSU loses more than 2 game I'd be surprised..

POD Knows
August 27th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Yeah yous asswipes have big worries..

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkWe better not lose two games or there will be hell to pay. We lost the conference title last year to a couple of teams that we beat in the regular season, that **** won't fly up here two years in a row.

ysubigred
August 27th, 2021, 12:50 PM
We better not lose two games or there will be hell to pay. We lost the conference title last year to a couple of teams that we beat in the regular season, that **** won't fly up here two years in a row.
Yup.. As piss poor as NDSU has been lately you're embarrassing the rest of us powerhouses in the league.. Need to drop back to DII..

Sickening xcoachx

POD Knows
August 27th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Yup.. As piss poor as NDSU has been lately you're embarrassing the rest of us powerhouses in the league.. Need to drop back to DII..

Sickening xcoachxWe still have PTSD from getting boat raced by SIU

ysubigred
August 27th, 2021, 01:21 PM
We still have PTSD from getting boat raced by SIUPTSD is mild compared to YSU being skull drug by various teams in the league year after year... We've developed psychosis..

Professor Chaos
August 27th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Yeah yous asswipes have big worries..

NDSU lost as many games in 2.5 months of spring football this year as they had lost in the previous 4 seasons combined. Let those heads roll!

Quincy Patterson as QB1 for NDSU to start the season is official: https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1431300483705094144

ysubigred
August 27th, 2021, 01:31 PM
NDSU as many games in 2.5 months of spring football this year as they had lost in the previous 4 seasons combined. Let those heads roll!Quit my heart is breaking for you all... tell my the #gofundme site for the golden Buffalo's.. I want to help you all win every game for eternity..

[emoji56]

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2021, 02:40 PM
NDSU lost as many games in 2.5 months of spring football this year as they had lost in the previous 4 seasons combined. Let those heads roll!

Quincy Patterson as QB1 for NDSU to start the season is official: https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1431300483705094144

Is he any good?

Christiank22
August 27th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Is he any good?

He’s probably the most athletic Qb we’ve ever had, big question mark is accuracy

BeamMeUp
August 28th, 2021, 07:40 AM
Massey has Youngstown over Incarnate Word 32-26. We will see if the Penguins can pull it off. Nice to see a quality non-conference game on our schedule. Too bad McNeese cancelled or we would have had two.

Good luck to all MVFC teams this fall!

BeamMeUp

Professor Chaos
August 28th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Is he any good?

He’s probably the most athletic Qb we’ve ever had, big question mark is accuracy
Idk... Trey Lance, Easton Stick, and Carson Wentz were all pretty damn athletic... if he's on par with Stick or Lance as a run threat I'll be thrilled. Although Quincy is a tank... his teammates nicknamed him Megatron already. I think it's clear from his Va Tech highlights that he's a much more dangerous runner than Cam Miller is.

But Christiank22 is right on with accuracy. That's why he wasn't atop the depth chart at Va Tech and that'll be what would/could prevent him from being an all-conference caliber QB.

caribbeanhen
August 28th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Idk... Trey Lance, Easton Stick, and Carson Wentz were all pretty damn athletic... if he's on par with Stick or Lance as a run threat I'll be thrilled. Although Quincy is a tank... his teammates nicknamed him Megatron already. I think it's clear from his Va Tech highlights that he's a much more dangerous runner than Cam Miller is.

But Christiank22 is right on with accuracy. That's why he wasn't atop the depth chart at Va Tech and that'll be what would/could prevent him from being an all-conference caliber QB.

I hear you and I’ll take my chances with athleticism every time

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 28th, 2021, 12:52 PM

This remains to be seen.

But he is a monster. Bigger than almost every LB that will try to tackle him this year. Hedberg almost certainly has coached him up in mechanics and hopefully the production will be there.

Just his "threat" to run will be a huge plus for the offense. Teams will load the box....go ahead. He breaks one tackle and he will score or turn it into a huge gain.

RB is loaded and the OL will be back to dominating once they get a few games together.

Albany
Valpo
Townson

Good 3 game stretch to get the team going.

Preferred Walk-On
August 28th, 2021, 01:52 PM
I probably just missed this, and if so, could someone please point me in the right direction (link)? I was looking for the MVFC Pick 'Em contest for this fall, as I wanted to get my Indiana State over Eastern Illinois pick in under the wire.

ysubigred
August 28th, 2021, 01:55 PM
I probably just missed this, and if so, could someone please point me in the right direction (link)? I was looking for the MVFC Pick 'Em contest for this fall, as I wanted to get my Indiana State over Eastern Illinois pick in under the wire.Ditto..^

POD Knows
August 28th, 2021, 02:32 PM
I probably just missed this, and if so, could someone please point me in the right direction (link)? I was looking for the MVFC Pick 'Em contest for this fall, as I wanted to get my Indiana State over Eastern Illinois pick in under the wire.
I got Indiana State too but I never saw a pick em

caribbeanhen
August 28th, 2021, 03:32 PM

I think the MVFC pick em has been Decommissioned because of the embarrassment of the trophy being held outside the country

Preferred Walk-On
August 28th, 2021, 08:02 PM
I was trying to find a good screenshot or video of his infamous any one, any place, any time thing ... but all evidnce appears to have been scraped from the worldwide web ??

So you get this ...

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-27-2015/xRm8Q2.gif

Not scrubbed yet…

https://twitter.com/redbirdfb/status/1363917232405942275?s=21

Preferred Walk-On
August 28th, 2021, 08:06 PM
I think the MVFC pick em has been Decommissioned because of the embarrassment of the trophy being held outside the country

I guess it’s kind of like your very own Nickel Trophy…

caribbeanhen
August 28th, 2021, 08:12 PM
I guess it’s kind of like your very own Nickel Trophy…

whatever that means I dont know, but if someone will start the Pick em you will probably get the trophy back

Redbird 4th & short
August 28th, 2021, 09:35 PM
Not scrubbed yet…

https://twitter.com/redbirdfb/status/1363917232405942275?s=21

ah Twitter ... I don't Twit.

But I think the expression, that didn't age well, may apply just a tad or hundred.

Sycamore62
August 28th, 2021, 09:36 PM
I wasn’t impressed with us tonight

ysubigred
August 28th, 2021, 09:40 PM
I wasn’t impressed with us tonightI'd take a "W" anyway YSU could get one at this point..

1-0 tree guy [emoji106]

Sycamore62
August 28th, 2021, 09:41 PM
I'd take a "W" anyway YSU could get one at this point..

1-0 tree guy [emoji106]

no arguments. 3 wins may be a reasonable goal

ysubigred
August 28th, 2021, 10:01 PM
no arguments. 3 wins may be a reasonable goal1 of your 3 might be a Penguin scalp...

Preferred Walk-On
August 30th, 2021, 01:49 PM

I am willing to pick up the MVFC Pick 'Em, if nobody else wants to.

Professor Chaos
August 30th, 2021, 03:34 PM
I am willing to pick up the MVFC Pick 'Em, if nobody else wants to.
Go for it if you want I'd say. It's been a year-to-year type thing in the MVFC with the pick 'em contest here with no poster than does it every year.

ST_Lawson did post an external AGS pick em for the MVFC a few pages back but it doesn't hurt to have one on the board here as well (I'd assume anyone interested in both would just do both): https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?273808-MVFC-Megathread-2021-Edition&p=2983544&viewfull=1#post2983544

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Go for it if you want I'd say. It's been a year-to-year type thing in the MVFC with the pick 'em contest here with no poster than does it every year.

ST_Lawson did post an external AGS pick em for the MVFC a few pages back but it doesn't hurt to have one on the board here as well (I'd assume anyone interested in both would just do both): https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?273808-MVFC-Megathread-2021-Edition&p=2983544&viewfull=1#post2983544

Oh nice!

Professor Chaos
September 2nd, 2021, 01:18 PM
NDSU is donning throwback jerseys for the first time in my memory this Saturday:

https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1433474805056131086

It's an homage to the first national title team at NDSU in 1965.

POD Knows
September 2nd, 2021, 03:30 PM
NDSU is donning throwback jerseys for the first time in my memory this Saturday:

It's an homage to the first national title team at NDSU in 1965.Seriously, I just pee'd a little bit or something happened down there. ****ing aye

Gil Dobie
September 2nd, 2021, 03:47 PM

Jersey's will be auctioned off after the game, with bids starting at 2:30, game time.

NDSU Game Day Auction scheduled for this Saturday

NDSU Athletics will host an online game day auction starting this Saturday, Sept. 4, during the football game against Albany.

The online auction will launch with the items becoming visible at GoBison.com/Auctions (http://l.paciolanmail.com/rts/go2.aspx?h=14260&tp=i-1NGB-F7-iY-am7t-24-7Uk-1c-akpv-l6UvCua0pY-10wUXU) at 2:30 p.m. CT Saturday. The event lasts until Monday, Sept. 6, at 8 p.m. CT.

All proceeds will go toward NDSU student-athlete scholarships. The auction will feature the throwback jerseys and a helmet worn during Saturday’s game, including an option to bid on a jersey with a number of your own choosing.

Chalupa Batman
September 2nd, 2021, 07:20 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Jlt69Ka6SwtH2/giphy.gif

TheKingpin28
September 3rd, 2021, 07:41 AM

Damn, those look fresh.

Sioux24/7
September 3rd, 2021, 11:40 AM
Damn, those look fresh.

Fresh out of the dumpster! [emoji6]

NEBison
September 3rd, 2021, 12:27 PM

spot on

TheKingpin28
September 3rd, 2021, 05:36 PM
Fresh out of the dumpster! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIsnt that where Kelly Green thrives?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2021, 06:17 PM
spot onOle' Puddin maybe the new Jimmy the Greek [emoji106]

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:01 PM
https://c.tenor.com/VPT2-nyi42cAAAAd/what-happened-where-is-everyone.gif

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 09:05 PM
https://c.tenor.com/VPT2-nyi42cAAAAd/what-happened-where-is-everyone.gif

Pretty quiet around these parts...you looking for the USD and SDSU fans?

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:06 PM
Pretty quiet around these parts...you looking for the USD and SDSU fans?

Does USD still field a team?

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 09:09 PM
Does USD still field a team?

Wouldn't know it from things around here, but they're just as relevant as my team has been lately (that's not much, but hey, I'm still here).

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:10 PM
Wouldn't know it from things around here, but they're just as relevant as my team has been lately (that's not much, but hey, I'm still here).

You've got that going for ya....which is nice.

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM

I dig those helmets. Can they make them the alternates?

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:16 PM
I dig those helmets. Can they make them the alternates?

I like the 70s/80s Snorty better.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 09:21 PM
South Dakota state is looking like the FCS national championship for fall 2021

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:23 PM

https://c.tenor.com/5vKnZA8IzwIAAAAM/ray-liotta-laughing.gif

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 09:25 PM

All they needed was a QB that could manage the game. Looks like they have a guy that will do much more. Will be interesting to see how he does against teams that know SDSU.

Of course, if Strong and Davis perform I could probably lead them to the quarterfinals

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 09:25 PM
https://c.tenor.com/5vKnZA8IzwIAAAAM/ray-liotta-laughing.gif

They are due

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:27 PM
They are due

So are the Detroit Lions.

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 09:33 PM

Of all the offensive things I've heard a Bison fan say as a Jackrabbit fan, comparing them with the Lions is the most hurtful.

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:35 PM
Of all the offensive things I've heard a Bison fan say as a Jackrabbit fan, comparing them with the Lions is the most hurtful.

I've done worse.

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 09:40 PM
SDSU loses Big 12 transfer, WR Landon Wolf, to what looks like a knee injury on a punt return. Looked to slip trying to make a cut

acbearkat
September 3rd, 2021, 09:41 PM
Kansas is flat out terrible. I don’t see how they win a conference game this year.

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 09:43 PM
Kansas is flat out terrible. I don’t see how they win a conference game this year.

I was just thinking they look like they might be able to finish somewhere in the middle of the MVFC...maybe.

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 09:44 PM
I was just thinking they look like they might be able to finish somewhere in the middle of the MVFC...maybe.

They might make a run at the AQ out of the Patriot

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 09:46 PM
They might make a run at the AQ out of the Patriot

I hear the Southland is kinda desperate for teams these days. They're pretty close to their footprint.

acbearkat
September 3rd, 2021, 09:46 PM

I could be at the Kansas/Texas game in Austin this year. I haven’t made up my mind on it yet. I want to go to a Texas game. I’m a Sam Houston alum, and a Texas fan. Obviously, I follow Sam Houston football as an alum.

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:47 PM
I hear the Southland is kinda desperate for teams these days. They're pretty close to their footprint.

Just gotta wait for the Big 12 to implode and nab some of the scraps.

acbearkat
September 3rd, 2021, 09:48 PM

Except the Big 12 isn’t imploding. They’ll likely be adding four teams.

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 09:48 PM

Looked like that might actually happen up until today. Still not convinced it won't eventually, but losing Texas and Oklahoma...not sure you could really consider them a P5 conference anymore.

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:49 PM
Except the Big 12 isn’t imploding. They’ll likely be adding four teams.

https://i.gifer.com/2pf.gif

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 09:53 PM
SDSU just made Colorado State look like Northern Colorado (no offense, Bears fans) on that last drive. Tore through their defense like wet toilet paper.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 09:55 PM
SDSU is head and shoulders above anybody in the FCS. It isn’t close.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 09:55 PM

you know I’m right

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 09:57 PM

I already called it

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 09:59 PM

I don't know about head and shoulders, but probably the favorite.

- - - Updated - - -

I already called it

caribbeanjack?

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 09:59 PM

Yet....they will somehow screw it up.

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 10:00 PM

- - - Updated - - -

caribbeanjack?

Ears and tails above?

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:01 PM
you know I’m right

Apologies to the Lions...they won 4 NFL championships with 3 of them being in the 50s. Don't wanna sell them short. :D

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:08 PM
SDSU is light years ahead of anybody in the MVFC on the offensive side of the ball. Not even close.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:11 PM
Yet....they will somehow screw it up.
Really. Maybe. I would trade every Bison OC for the guys they have in Brookings

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 10:12 PM
SDSU is light years ahead of anybody in the MVFC on the offensive side of the ball. Not even close.

I haven't really been following up north due to SDSU's own QB stress, but how is the situation for the Bison signal callers?

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 10:13 PM

- - - Updated - - -

caribbeanjack?

Gotta nice ring to it doesn’t it now

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:13 PM

- - - Updated - - -

caribbeanjack?
We will see but they are way ahead of NDSU on the offensive side of the ball and it isn’t even close. They are beating an FBS team with a transfer QB

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:14 PM
Really. Maybe. I would trade every Bison OC for the guys they have in Brookings

That hasn't changed. xlolx

Chalupa Batman
We will see but they are way ahead of NDSU on the offensive side of the ball and it isn’t even close. They are beating an FBS team with a transfer QB

He looks really good. Better than Gronowski

caribbeanhen
Apologies to the Lions...they won 4 NFL championships with 3 of them being in the 50s. Don't wanna sell them short. :D

You were talking about the Lions

I’m talking about South Dakota State and how they are putting out a message tonight to the rest of the FCS

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:15 PM
I haven't really been following up north due to SDSU's own QB stress, but how is the situation for the Bison signal callers?

Not good and NDSU doesn't have another NFL caliber QB to cover up some shortcomings on offense.

caribbeanhen
He looks really good. Better than Gronowski

I like him

acbearkat
You were talking about the Lions

I’m talking about South Dakota State and how they are putting out a message tonight to the rest of the FCS

Colorado State isn’t a good football team.

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:16 PM

Colorado State to the Big 12 confirmed.

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 10:18 PM
Not good and NDSU doesn't have another NFL caliber QB to cover up some shortcomings on offense.

Perhaps 2021 could be the "Year of the Veer." I mean, just make the throwbacks the regular uniform and really honor that first championship

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:19 PM
Perhaps 2021 could be the "Year of the Veer." I mean, just make the throwbacks the regular uniform and really honor that first championship

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the veer came later for the Bison than those 60s teams.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 10:23 PM
South Dakota getting ripped off in Kansas

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:23 PM

They are better than Sam Houston

acbearkat
September 3rd, 2021, 10:26 PM
Kansas will win due to a targeting penalty.

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:27 PM

Future rivals....I can feel it.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 10:28 PM

Sam Houston caught lightning in a bottle last year

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:32 PM

That, or a spring season that saw the Bison lose an NFL QB and LT among a glut of other key guys... :D But.......it is what it is.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:35 PM
That, or a spring season that saw the Bison lose an NFL QB and LT among a glut of other key guys... :D But.......it is what it is.
And the starting QB for SDSU got hurt in that game. SHSU dodged a bullet in the Natty and almost lost to a completely ****ty NDSU team in their run.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 10:35 PM
Kansas is horrible

outplayed by South Dakota in that game

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 10:36 PM

I think your quarterback problems continue this year

fleas and lice

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:37 PM
I think your quarterback problems continue this year

fleas and lice

Don't disagree...look back a few posts. :D

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:37 PM

They're a very good team, but they caught a LOT of breaks in the postseason. They still had to take advantage of them and they did which is why they won.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:38 PM
Kansas is horrible

Yea it they didn’t win. Sick of these ****ers unable to finish these FBS clowns. Just watch. SDSU will choke. NDSU is the only team that brings it for all 4 quarters against these guys

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:39 PM
Kansas is horrible

Probably why Kansas fans rushed the field after the game xlolx

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:40 PM
Probably why Kansas fans rushed the field after the game xlolx

.........did that happen?

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:41 PM

It really did

JacksFan40
September 3rd, 2021, 10:42 PM
I remember they rushed the field a few years ago when they beat Rhode Island so probably. It’s the only win they’ll get this year so let them be happy.

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:43 PM
It really did

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Lsn6R0xjdstnG/200w.gif?cid=82a1493buhckkowvf8h9wci4s4wc2s8kqc87w ish3px90iw1&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

BisonFan02
September 3rd, 2021, 10:44 PM
I remember they rushed the field a few years ago when they beat Rhode Island so probably. It’s the only win they’ll get this year so let them be happy.

The Big 12 everybody. :D

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:46 PM

It's gotta be demoralizing for the players. Like "they're this excited we beat a mediocre FCS team? Holy **** do we suck"

JacksFan40
September 3rd, 2021, 10:46 PM
The Big 12 everybody. :D
I’m willing to bet Texas loses to Louisiana tomorrow and makes the SEC rethink letting them in.

JacksFan40
September 3rd, 2021, 10:47 PM
It's gotta be demoralizing for the players. Like "they're this excited we beat a mediocre FCS team? Holy **** do we suck"
At the very least it starts the Leipold era with a win. He’s a great coach and could get them back to being a bowl team in 3-4 years. But yeah they’ll still be bad for a bit.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:48 PM
SDSU is number 1 in FCS if they win this game.

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:50 PM

I would have had them number 1 in the preseason if not for their QB question. That has been answered in a BIG way tonight

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 10:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TP8TwUS.png

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TP8TwUS.png

https://media2.giphy.com/media/eS7qcQofapIqc/giphy.gif

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:56 PM
Poor decision making on fielding punts is about the only weakness for SDSU so far

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 10:57 PM
Poor decision making on fielding punts is about the only weakness for SDSU so far

They are just trying to work out some different plays. The offense didn't get a lot of work in due to rain this week.

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2021, 10:58 PM

Until CSU shows they can actually stop the Jackrabbit offense, it just means more yards for Strong and the boys.

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 10:58 PM
Until CSU shows they can actually stop the Jackrabbit offense, it just means more yards for Strong and the boys.

That was my first thought too!

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 10:59 PM
Hey SDSU. Seriously. Do you know why you ****ers choke year after year. Witness your punt returner fielding a ****ing punt at the 3 freaking yard line up by 18. You deaerve
to lose. Keep it up morons.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 11:02 PM
Yea. You guys feeling the iron collar yet. SDSU will choke this gimmie away. Just watch

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 11:04 PM
Hey SDSU. Seriously. Do you know why you ****ers choke year after year. Witness your punt returner fielding a ****ing punt at the 3 freaking yard line up by 18. You deaerve
to lose. Keep it up morons.

He shouldn't even be back receiving kicks. He's one of the preseason picks for best backs in the country. It's a meaningless game. Didn't they see what happened to their stud transfer in the 1st damn quarter?

I swear, sometimes I just don't get the staff's depth chart

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 11:06 PM
He shouldn't even be back receiving kicks. He's one of the preseason picks for best backs in the country. It's a meaningless game. Didn't they see what happened to their stud transfer in the 1st damn quarter?

He's an awesome kick returner, but those skill don't really translate to returning punts

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 11:11 PM
He's an awesome kick returner, but those skill don't really translate to returning punts

Agreed. But he should only be returning kick offs, but even that should only happen when they need something big. Not in a game where they lead by 18. Hell, just put one of the student managers out there to signal fair catches. Ha

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 11:19 PM
I would have had them number 1 in the preseason if not for their QB question. That has been answered in a BIG way tonight

Holy Caribbean coattails Batman

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 11:21 PM
Don't disagree...look back a few posts. :D

Nobody does that here

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 11:21 PM

Thank god it didn’t cost you guys. But **** you stand at the 10 yard line. If it is over your head you get the **** out of the way.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 11:24 PM

Read back a few pages

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2021, 11:25 PM
SDSU will choke.

Chalupa Batman
September 3rd, 2021, 11:25 PM
What the hell did Stig do?

SoDakSA
September 3rd, 2021, 11:27 PM
What the hell did Stig do?

Can you get an unsportsmanlike penalty for yelling "holy nutmeg" too loud?

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2021, 11:27 PM
They're a very good team, but they caught a LOT of breaks in the postseason. They still had to take advantage of them and they did which is why they won.

Didn’t you just call me CaribbeanSam earlier this week? and you think you have to tell me this... lol

Puddin Tane
September 3rd, 2021, 11:30 PM
I’m willing to bet Texas loses to Louisiana tomorrow and makes the SEC rethink letting them in.

cajuns are a good team. Id love it if they win, but doubt it

acbearkat
September 3rd, 2021, 11:32 PM

I think Texas wins by three scores. I just don’t think the Ragin Cajuns will be able to do much against that Longhorn defensive line. Hook Em.