PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Megathread: 2021 Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

POD Knows
October 16th, 2021, 09:16 PM
I'd tend to agree... their remaining schedule is pretty favorable though with the only real tough game left being in Brookings. That said they could lose any of their remaining games (except maybe Indiana St at home) because I have zero confidence in this team's ability to come back from any meaningful deficit... they haven't had to do that yet so we don't know for sure but I think the combination of inconsistent accuracy from the QB and horrid/unimaginative play calling would be too much to overcome.
The Bison have the toughest part of their schedule coming up. UNI has been shown to be patsy, UND?, ISUR. USD appears to be really good. MSU is tough and SDSU will be brutal in Brookings. If we can’t run the ball consistently QP is not sound enough to carry the offense.

I agree on all of your points regarding the offense. Lots and lots of tools but zero real utilization. I think we need to rethink who our #1 RB is, it isn’t Kobe, he just isn’t tough enough on runs between the tackles and he seems pretty suspect as a receiver out of the backfield.

We seem completely helpless against teams that blitz a lot, that needs to be figured out quick.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2021, 09:22 PM
The Bison have the toughest part of their schedule coming up. UNI has been shown to be patsy, UND?, ISUR. USD appears to be really good. MSU is tough and SDSU will be brutal in Brookings. If we can’t run the ball consistently QP is not sound enough to carry the offense.

I agree on all of your points regarding the offense. Lots and lots of tools but zero real utilization. I think we need to rethink who our #1 RB is, it isn’t Kobe, he just isn’t tough enough on runs between the tackles and he seems pretty suspect as a receiver out of the backfield.

We seem completely helpless against teams that blitz a lot, that needs to be figured out quick.
I think MSU and USD at home are games they should win even with the flawed offense. I watched the majority of that USD/UNI game today and I'm not convinced that USD is that much better, if any, than UNI. The Yotes had 4 first half scoring drives of less than 40 yards when they built their 24 point lead. UNI's offense and special teams basically imploded. On a related note, UNI always seems to play like **** the week after they play the Bison. I saw a blurb on Twitter than USD gets 4 teams, and 3 in a row, the week after they play NDSU (UND, UNI, Illinois St, and SDSU).... they better leave a tip for the MVFC schedule makers.

But yeah, their inability to solve the blitz is so frustrating. There has to be single coverage on plenty of those plays for Watson, Gindorf, or Babicz that they should be able to exploit... and apparently the screen pass isn't in the playbook along with most other short/hot routes.

acbearkat
October 16th, 2021, 09:24 PM

Your last sentence sounds like Texas. The UT offensive line has lost the Longhorns two games in a row they should have won. I’m staying off Orangebloods this week, because that place is insufferable when Texas loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winterborn
October 16th, 2021, 09:39 PM

Roehl just hasn't opened the playbook yet.........

The above is complete sarcasm. I just can't figure it out if Roehl is not comfortable expanding the playbook or he doesn't know how to utilizes the rest of the playbook, so he sticks to the ones he is comfortable with. We are not a playoff team and I do not see us going much past the first round (assuming we do not get a by, which I doubt we do considering the games left) with how vanilla this offense is.

Defense is going to have a down day or due to injuries and cannot bail us out forever.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2021, 09:43 PM

The above is complete sarcasm. I just can't figure it out if Roehl is not comfortable expanding the playbook or he doesn't know how to utilizes the rest of the playbook, so he sticks to the ones he is comfortable with. We are not a playoff team and I do not see us going much past the first round (assuming we do not get a by, which I doubt we do considering the games left) with how vanilla this offense is.

Defense is going to have a down day or due to injuries and cannot bail us out forever.
I agree on the offensive shortcomings but this Bison defense is playing out of this world and that was with 3 starters out today. The D-line is as deep as I can ever remember it... the LBs are playing fantastic as are the safeties. CB is the only question mark and the rest of the defense is so good I don't know if that matters much.

This fall team is much better than the spring team was that went to the quarters and pushed the eventual national champion to the brink. I think they're better that you're giving them credit for but they'll need some luck to be a title contender unless the offense improves a lot.

Winterborn
October 16th, 2021, 09:51 PM
I agree on the offensive shortcomings but this Bison defense is playing out of this world and that was with 3 starters out today. The D-line is as deep as I can ever remember it... the LBs are playing fantastic as are the safeties. CB is the only question mark and the rest of the defense is so good I don't know if that matters much.

This fall team is much better than the spring team was that went to the quarters and pushed the eventual national champion to the brink. I think they're better that you're giving them credit for but they'll need some luck to be a title contender unless the offense improves a lot.

I do not disagree with either points. Just trying to be realistic.

We have 5 games left and alot can happen in 5 games concerning player availability. And a bit of luck is always needed no matter how good the team is, as there is always uncertainty and that is what makes it interesting. xthumbsupx

acbearkat
October 16th, 2021, 09:53 PM

The only reason North Dakota State was even in that game was because of two special teams gaffes. That’s just a fact. North Dakota State just flat out could not move the ball on our defense.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2021, 10:04 PM
The only reason North Dakota State was even in that game was because of two special teams gaffes. That’s just a fact. North Dakota State just flat out could not move the ball on our defense.

So would it have made a difference if those were two defensive gaffes? Points on special teams count just as well as points on offense do. The NDSU kick/punt return teams are as good as anyone in the country IMO and if you're going to kick to them you're playing with fire. Your guys got burned... just like Schmid burned the Bison defense with that perfectly placed 50 yard bomb on 3rd and long right before the go-head TD. I do remember the Bison having a 3rd and 2 inside the SHSU redzone when QB Cam Miller dropped the ball on the read option (completely unforced error) down 4 with less than a minute to play.

Gil Dobie
October 16th, 2021, 10:21 PM

If Baltimore can win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, the Bison can win with Quincy. Quincy is a better FCS QB than Dilfer was an NFL QB. The Bison may lose a couple games yet this year but they could make a playoff run with this team. If Roehl has his list of plays and players that worked best in certain situations, we can do better than expected. Comparing this team to teams with Lance, Wentz, Klieman, Stick, Jensen, really can't be done until we see the finished product. Those were great teams and this team is still finding it's place in Bison football history.

Chalupa Batman
October 16th, 2021, 10:54 PM

So then we can say that JMU let Sam Houston win this spring because of a special teams gaffe that allowed Ezzard to return a punt for a TD? Not to mention the other special team gaffe immediately after that in which they failed to field the kickoff and giving you the ball right back for another TD. Or the offensive gaffe on the first play after that in which a pass bounced off a receivers hands directly into your DB’s hands, giving you the ball back yet again.

Preferred Walk-On
October 16th, 2021, 11:11 PM

And to think that NDSU led that game with 4 min left in the game. I am not sure if that says more about NDSU or SHSU, but congratulations on being able to finally burn up those runner-up T-shirts. All kidding aside, I am really hoping for a rematch in the playoffs, and I really don't care what round...or where the game is held.

JacksFan40
October 16th, 2021, 11:33 PM

The only reason SHSU won the title was because SDSU was playing its 3rd String QB. See how that works?
It doesn’t really matter when looking at all of the factors. Anything can happen on (no pun intended) any given Saturday.

Professor Chaos
October 16th, 2021, 11:58 PM
And a bit of luck is always needed no matter how good the team is, as there is always uncertainty and that is what makes it interesting. xthumbsupx
So true... when you think of the ridiculousness of 8 national titles in 9 years it's basically a confluence of extraordinary talent and extraordinary luck. Whether we want to believe it or not many of those Bison title teams were not pre-destined... it took a bounce or two (or three or four) to go their way.

BNATION
October 17th, 2021, 07:48 AM
MVFC looking strong. Going to be interesting come playoff time. How many teams are in?

TennBison
October 17th, 2021, 08:13 AM
MVFC looking strong. Going to be interesting come playoff time. How many teams are in?
​Should be ALL of them!!!!!

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2021, 08:53 AM

I agree unless the Ivies participated

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2021, 09:23 AM
I agree unless the Ivies participated

Is UConn an Ivy? ;)

ST_Lawson
October 17th, 2021, 11:33 AM

I'm going to point to our early season dismantling by (now apparently "suspect") Montana and 10-point loss to Indiana State as examples of why we should very much not.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Is UConn an Ivy? ;)

No

I only support 3 Ivies right now being ranked

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2021, 01:19 PM
No

I only support 3 Ivies right now being ranked

I'm not sure I would rank Dartmouth, after the close game with Valpo. Harvard hasn't played anyone yet. Princeton I can see ranking them.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2021, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure I would rank Dartmouth, after the close game with Valpo. Harvard hasn't played anyone yet. Princeton I can see ranking them.

I think Dartmouth made up for the shaky opener vs Valpo by the easy victory vs New Hampshire yesterday

I was reminded by some keen Ivy fans that opener was first game in 2 years

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 17th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Nice day for a game in Normal yesterday.

The Bison offense does get frustrating watching but the defense is lights out.

When QP and the short passing game gets figured out, watch out. Run the ball, play field position and play great defense. Has been the recipe for the Bison and it will continue.

This team is going 11-0 or at the least 10-1 for the regular season. SDSU will be the test. MSU - Ind State - YSU - USD are all wins.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 17th, 2021, 08:47 PM
Another thing I want to add:

I wish the OC (Roehl) would go back to more QB under center with the FB added with the I formation, which they use to do a lot. This RPO/shotgun crap is just that. Bring the FB in and put Williams in more. He is big and is a better runner between the tackles then the 2 RBs used that are under 170 lbs....xrolleyesx.....the 2 little RBs rarely can break an arm tackle.

QP is a better north/south runner also.

Hats off to the defense. Down 4 starters and they still kicked the Redchickens asses....xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
October 17th, 2021, 09:20 PM
I think Dartmouth made up for the shaky opener vs Valpo by the easy victory vs New Hampshire yesterday

I was reminded by some keen Ivy fans that opener was first game in 2 years

UNH might finish at the bottom of the MVFC or Big Sky.

caribbeanhen
October 17th, 2021, 11:32 PM
UNH might finish at the bottom of the MVFC or Big Sky.

MVFC yes

Big Sky? No

Chalupa Batman
October 18th, 2021, 05:49 AM

When QP and the short passing game gets figured out, watch out. Run the ball, play field position and play great defense. Has been the recipe for the Bison and it will continue.

This team is going 11-0 or at the least 10-1 for the regular season. SDSU will be the test. MSU - Ind State - YSU - USD are all wins.

I think we'll beat Missouri State this weekend but I expect a close game. Their offense will easily be the best we've seen so far this year and a good test for our defense. I think the Youngstown loss was an aberration and we'll see the team that went to Stillwater and gave Oklahoma State a good scare.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 18th, 2021, 06:27 AM
I think we'll beat Missouri State this weekend but I expect a close game. Their offense will easily be the best we've seen so far this year and a good test for our defense. I think the Youngstown loss was an aberration and we'll see the team that went to Stillwater and gave Oklahoma State a good scare.

I expect nothing less from any team.

MSUWineGuy
October 18th, 2021, 08:42 AM

Maybe it's just my NDSU PTSD but I really see our offense struggling against your D.

I'm nervous AF about this game. It's honestly the first real barometer to see how much we've improved since the spring.

Redbird 4th & short
October 18th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Wow, our offense is weak. Going into season, I assumed we could run better, and pass so so. Our OL is not holding up very well, because I still believe we do have the horses in the backfield .. 3 RS FR .. Cole Mueller, Nigel White, and Phaleak Brown .. all have shown their upside. But will weak OL and terrible pass game, in the MVFC ... youmay not notice much in conference this year.

On the other hand, I assumed our defense would be further behind the offense this fall .. though always assumed Spack would rebuild it sooner than later. But they're showing more early progress than I expected.

Bottom line, we still suck .. and I warned of this.

Congrats to Bison .. still a very good team, but you have more competition this year in conference. Looking like a 5-6 bid year for sure.

Looking forward to 2022.

JacksFan40
October 18th, 2021, 04:39 PM

The Bison seem to be like the 2015 Denver Broncos. Mediocre to bad offense being carried by an outright dominant defense. As long as the Bison do not have to play in a shootout they should be fine.

Professor Chaos
October 18th, 2021, 05:00 PM
The Bison seem to be like the 2015 Denver Broncos. Mediocre to bad offense being carried by an outright dominant defense. As long as the Bison do not have to play in a shootout they should be fine.
The problem I have is they have all sorts of talent on the offensive side of the ball. WR Christian Watson and OT Cordell Colson are both likely NFL draft picks next April. TEs Noah Gindorff and Josh Babicz are NFL rookie free agent types IMO. Then they've got a stable of 5 RBs of all sizes who are capable... they just can't seem to figure out how to utilize all that talent to their advantage. Man for man I think the Bison offense is more talented than their defense... the defense just seems so much better coached and utilized.

Chalupa Batman
October 18th, 2021, 06:33 PM

Our defense is very good, but I feel it hasn't really been tested yet either. Missouri State and SDSU in 2 weeks will be big tests for that side of the ball. Especially the Jacks, you're offense is almost scary good.

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2021, 07:06 PM

2000 Ravens are my go-to for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Baltimore_Ravens_season#Regular_season
Only games they lost were ones that they scored 6 or less points. 4 shut-outs, and only gave up 20+ points twice (one time being the Super Bowl).

Chalupa Batman
October 18th, 2021, 07:11 PM
2000 Ravens are my go-to for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Baltimore_Ravens_season#Regular_season
Only games they lost were ones that they scored 6 or less points. 4 shut-outs, and only gave up 20+ points twice (one time being the Super Bowl).

IIRC they went 5 straight games without scoring a TD and went 3-2 in those games. Also, they gave up fewer points in 20 games (including playoffs) then the ‘85 Bears gave up in 16 games.

ST_Lawson
October 18th, 2021, 07:13 PM
IIRC they went 5 straight games without scoring a TD and went 3-2 in those games. Also, they gave up fewer points in 20 games (including playoffs) then the ‘85 Bears gave up in 16 games.

Yup, absolutely insane defense. Dilfer and the offense were...adequate.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 18th, 2021, 07:25 PM
The problem I have is they have all sorts of talent on the offensive side of the ball. WR Christian Watson and OT Cordell Colson are both likely NFL draft picks next April. TEs Noah Gindorff and Josh Babicz are NFL rookie free agent types IMO. Then they've got a stable of 5 RBs of all sizes who are capable... they just can't seem to figure out how to utilize all that talent to their advantage. Man for man I think the Bison offense is more talented than their defense... the defense just seems so much better coached and utilized.

The defense was down 4 starters on saturday and they still didn't miss a beat.

Kaczor
Thomas
Kelly
Waege

JacksFan40
October 18th, 2021, 10:36 PM
I was just saying the Broncos since they’re the most recent example, but the 2000 Ravens defense was one of the all time greatest. The 2002 Buccaneers were another legendary defense carrying a subpar offense.

JacksFan40
October 18th, 2021, 10:39 PM
Our defense is very good, but I feel it hasn't really been tested yet either. Missouri State and SDSU in 2 weeks will be big tests for that side of the ball. Especially the Jacks, you're offense is almost scary good.
Jacks offense can move the ball at will on anyone, the issue is just finishing drives. They left around 21 points on the field against SIU I believe. If Oladokun doesn’t turn the ball over near the end zone when SDSU was up 20-0 it could’ve turned into an absolute rout like during the Spring regular season game against SIU. The defense also has some areas it needs to patch up.

The Jacks are similar to this years Dallas Cowboys on offense, an unstoppable offense who’s only formidable opponent so far as been themselves.

JacksFan40
October 18th, 2021, 10:41 PM
Yeah I’ve seen all of the complains about the OC being to conservative with play calling. Hopefully he’s not saving all of the good stuff for SDSU.

Chalupa Batman
October 18th, 2021, 10:57 PM
Jacks offense can move the ball at will on anyone, the issue is just finishing drives. They left around 21 points on the field against SIU I believe. If Oladokun doesn’t turn the ball over near the end zone when SDSU was up 20-0 it could’ve turned into an absolute rout like during the Spring regular season game against SIU. The defense also has some areas it needs to patch up.

The Jacks are similar to this years Dallas Cowboys on offense, an unstoppable offense who’s only formidable opponent so far as been themselves.

That’s what I’ve seen too, which is why I said “almost” scary good.

Yeah I’ve seen all of the complains about the OC being to conservative with play calling. Hopefully he’s not saving all of the good stuff for SDSU.

The “good stuff” in Roehl’s playbook is playing QB for the 49ers.

Professor Chaos
October 18th, 2021, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't worry about too much about that. The better the opponent/defense the more conservative the play calling seems to get.

Houndawg
October 19th, 2021, 06:48 AM

And if a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass hopping.

Houndawg
October 19th, 2021, 06:53 AM
So true... when you think of the ridiculousness of 8 national titles in 9 years it's basically a confluence of extraordinary talent and extraordinary luck. Whether we want to believe it or not many of those Bison title teams were not pre-destined... it took a bounce or two (or three or four) to go their way.

and the money to make it happen

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 19th, 2021, 06:56 AM
and the money to make it happen

Every team the Bison has beat in the NC game also had 63 schollies....

Houndawg
October 19th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Every team the Bison has beat in the NC game also had 63 schollies....

I didn't mean it that way, more of an envious thing; it gets much worse here and we'll be looking at D2. (And you only beat one team in the NC game ;) )

Gil Dobie
October 19th, 2021, 09:21 AM
I didn't mean it that way, more of an envious thing; it gets much worse here and we'll be looking at D2. (And you only beat one team in the NC game ;) )

You won't move to D2 with your basketball program.

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2021, 11:05 AM

Try not to take Houndawg too seriously.

Houndawg
October 19th, 2021, 09:02 PM
Try not to take Houndawg too seriously.

yes, but........other than the usual happy talk I don't see significant increase in our enrollment.

Gil Dobie
October 20th, 2021, 06:13 AM
yes, but........other than the usual happy talk I don't see significant increase in our enrollment.

Direct busing from St Louis.

Houndawg
October 20th, 2021, 07:14 AM

Probably not, but there may come a time when the powers-that-be decide that SIU doesn't need two campuses - and the one in Edwardsville is in the process of becoming the flagship because students don't seem to have a lot of interest in Carbondale.

Houndawg
October 20th, 2021, 07:16 AM
Direct busing from St Louis.

Ain't happening when the bus has to drive right past the Edwardsville campus to get here - SIUE is located where the customers are

ST_Lawson
October 20th, 2021, 08:22 AM
Probably not, but there may come a time when the powers-that-be decide that SIU doesn't need two campuses - and the one in Edwardsville is in the process of becoming the flagship because students don't seem to have a lot of interest in Carbondale.

I think that with current enrollment projections (decrease in Illinois HS students over the next ~20 years), a lot of the more "rural" and smaller universities are going to have to have a serious self-examination of what they can reasonably support in terms of athletics, campus locations, and overall services...assuming the state doesn't force them to do it anyway.

SIU-E now has more students than SIU-C (has been for the last 4 years). EIU and WIU are both small campuses in small rural towns who have appeared to stop or at least slow the drop in students but are significantly down from where they were 15-20 years ago. Chicago State, Governors State, Northeastern Illinois, and UI-Springfield are all trending down as well, although they're in more urban areas, which is likely to help sustain them longer.

How long will it be until the state decides that NIU really aught to be FCS and that WIU, EIU, and CSU should really be DII? I don't know where SIU would fit into all this...athletics are too good (especially right now) for that to be a reason to drop down...but you can't deny the enrollment trends. They are not in the rural town's favors.

Pretty much, if you're not U of I, UIC, or ISU, there's a huge amount of unease when looking ahead the next decade or two.

Houndawg
October 20th, 2021, 04:21 PM
I think that with current enrollment projections (decrease in Illinois HS students over the next ~20 years), a lot of the more "rural" and smaller universities are going to have to have a serious self-examination of what they can reasonably support in terms of athletics, campus locations, and overall services...assuming the state doesn't force them to do it anyway.

SIU-E now has more students than SIU-C (has been for the last 4 years). EIU and WIU are both small campuses in small rural towns who have appeared to stop or at least slow the drop in students but are significantly down from where they were 15-20 years ago. Chicago State, Governors State, Northeastern Illinois, and UI-Springfield are all trending down as well, although they're in more urban areas, which is likely to help sustain them longer.

How long will it be until the state decides that NIU really aught to be FCS and that WIU, EIU, and CSU should really be DII? I don't know where SIU would fit into all this...athletics are too good (especially right now) for that to be a reason to drop down...but you can't deny the enrollment trends. They are not in the rural town's favors.

Pretty much, if you're not U of I, UIC, or ISU, there's a huge amount of unease when looking ahead the next decade or two.

Trut so pure

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2021, 06:32 AM
With Petrino bringing in something like 35 transfers, I wonder how many personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct calls the Bears will have tomorrow?

xchinscratchx

.....just counted.....33 transfers on the roster.

Sycamore62
October 22nd, 2021, 11:52 AM
With Petrino bringing in something like 35 transfers, I wonder how many personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct calls the Bears will have tomorrow?

xchinscratchx

.....just counted.....33 transfers on the roster.

about the same as the number of motorcycle wrecks

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2021, 05:47 AM
MSU more than likely is going to stack the box and make QP beat them passing. NDSU will still run the ball, so hopefully they try wearing down the defense with the big RBs (Luepke and Williams) and not use the 2 small change of pace RBs to do this...xrolleyesx....but I have no confidence our OC will do this.

dewey
October 23rd, 2021, 08:16 AM
MSU more than likely is going to stack the box and make QP beat them passing. NDSU will still run the ball, so hopefully they try wearing down the defense with the big RBs (Luepke and Williams) and not use the 2 small change of pace RBs to do this...xrolleyesx....but I have no confidence our OC will do this.

Hopefully we make them lay for stacking the box and take some deep shots with Watson or use Sproles or our stud tight ends over the middle on play action. Heck if I am dreaming how about some play action of the stretch run and have QP roll out to give him the option to run or pass.

I am going to go really crazy here but perhaps a screen play or two if MSU is blitzing.

The offense has been good or bad every other game over the last few games. Hopefully this is a good OC play calling game.

NDSU 34
MSU 13

Dewey

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211023/94c77774ca335f1a12ba338ff913ef0d.jpg

POD Knows
October 23rd, 2021, 08:21 AM
Hopefully we make them lay for stacking the box and take some deep shots with Watson or use Sproles or our stud tight ends over the middle on play action. Heck if I am dreaming how about some play action of the stretch run and have QP roll out to give him the option to run or pass.

I am going to go really crazy here but perhaps a screen play or two if MSU is blitzing.

The offense has been good or bad every other game over the last few games. Hope this is a good OC play calling game.

NDSU 34
MSU 13

DeweyNDSU tried a screed pass to Watson in the ISUR game. QP overthrew him. I don’t think they are capable of using a screen pass. It doesn’t seem like they have a clue how to do it. My confidence level in this offense against a decent team is close to zero but they have their moments but not enough I am afraid

MSU 21 NDSU 12 (4 FGS). #BOOKIT.

dewey
October 23rd, 2021, 09:17 AM
NDSU tried a screed pass to Watson in the ISUR game. QP overthrew him. I don’t think they are capable of using a screen pass. It doesn’t seem like they have a clue how to do it. My confidence level in this offense against a decent team is close to zero but they have their moments but not enough I am afraid

Ahh. Thanks. I miss the old screen to McNorton in 2010 and 2011. God that play was always really good.

Dewey

POD Knows
October 23rd, 2021, 09:41 AM
Ahh. Thanks. I miss the old screen to McNorton in 2010 and 2011. God that play was always really good.

Dewey
Yea. Me too. But I am afraid that QP might overthrow it and some safety 15 yards from the line of scrimmage might intercept it. Sorry. Just getting my game face on.

We don’t seem to have any real answers as to how to handle teams that blitz. I mean it isn’t as if other offenses haven’t figured out how to attack this, we aren’t trying to identify the God Particle here.

Actually. I could a see another 3-0 score in this game like 2010. I would take that right now if the Bison were on the winning end this time.

Chalupa Batman
October 23rd, 2021, 09:59 AM
Yea. Me too. But I am afraid that QP might overthrow it and some safety 15 yards from the line of scrimmage might intercept it. Sorry. Just getting my game face on.

We don’t seem to have any real answers as to how to handle teams that blitz. I mean it isn’t as if other offenses haven’t figured out how to attack this, we aren’t trying to identify the God Particle here.

Actually. I could a see another 3-0 score in this game like 2010. I would take that right now if the Bison were on the winning end this time.

Or QP might hit our receiver in the head and give him a concussion.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2021, 10:00 AM

I actually thing this game is not going to be close. Despite the OC, I think the Bison lean on them hard and win by 3 TDs

POD Knows
October 23rd, 2021, 10:10 AM
Or QP might hit our receiver in the head and give him a concussion.
😀 Yea, touch and QP desperate strangers

BNATION
October 23rd, 2021, 10:35 AM
NDSU tried a screed pass to Watson in the ISUR game. QP overthrew him. I don’t think they are capable of using a screen pass. It doesn’t seem like they have a clue how to do it. My confidence level in this offense against a decent team is close to zero but they have their moments but not enough I am afraid

I think this is fair. May be a tad closer but this NDSU offense just isn’t very good. QB play is poor. Never thought I’d see NDSU dipping into the portal for a QB. Does not fit their MO imo. They are a culture program.

POD Knows
October 23rd, 2021, 10:46 AM
I think this is fair. May be a tad closer but this NDSU offense just isn’t very good. QB play is poor. Never thought I’d see NDSU dipping into the portal for a QB. Does not fit their MO imo. They are a culture program.
Well, our “culture” QB left after one full year as a starter. I don’t think that Patterson is a bad QB, he actually has a pretty good skill set but out offensive play calling has been pretty bad. We don’t really have an offensive identity. I is somewhat strange to watch. They play not to lose a lot.

Our D has looked good but I still think that a team that spreads the field and uses quick throws and inside slants will give us huge problems.

This is a very young Bison team and I think we have 70+ sophomores and younger on this roster. We have real good players at the skill positions but have problems getting them the ball.

semobison
October 23rd, 2021, 11:01 AM

Two years ago at this time we were giddy with our RS freshman QB Trey Lance. Nobody, I mean nobody realized how short his time would be as the Bison QB.
Wentz learned from Jensen, Stick learned from Wentz and Lance spent his RS year learning from Stick. Then COVID changed everything!

dewey
October 23rd, 2021, 11:12 AM
Well, our “culture” QB left after one full year as a starter. I don’t think that Patterson is a bad QB, he actually has a pretty good skill set but out offensive play calling has been pretty bad. We don’t really have an offensive identity. I is somewhat strange to watch. They play not to lose a lot.

Our D has looked good but I still think that a team that spreads the field and uses quick throws and inside slants will give us huge problems.

This is a very young Bison team and I think we have 70+ sophomores and younger on this roster. We have real good players at the skill positions but have problems getting them the ball.

You are dead on right. Lance was supposed to be the guy for the next few years an teach Peyton but he left (I don't blame him at all. Being a top 3 pick it is a no-brainer to leave).

I do like QP and I agree that we don't seem to have any identity on offense. We obviously have multiple formations but when the game is on the line what do you do? I am hoping it is 2 TE's with Leupke and pound the ball. Luke we did against the Siouxage.

I truly think QP can lead NDSU to a national title but my biggest question is the offensive play calling.

Dewey

POD Knows
October 23rd, 2021, 11:17 AM
You are dead on right. Lance was supposed to be the guy for the next few years an teach Peyton but he left (I don't blame him at all. Being a top 3 pick it is a no-brainer to leave).

I do like QP and I agree that we don't seem to have any identity on offense. We obviously have multiple formations but when the game is on the line what do you do? I am hoping it is 2 TE's with Leupke and pound the ball. Luke we did against the Siouxage.

I truly think QP can lead NDSU to a national title but my biggest question is the offensive play calling.

Dewey
Have we ran a RB wheel route yet? How about play action and maybe a throw to a TE. We will go an entire game without a look to a TE. This offense is baffling to me. Lance carried this offense in 2019. No way we win the Natty with any other QB. The play calling back then was weak as well.

dewey
October 23rd, 2021, 11:22 AM
Have we ran a RB wheel route yet? How about play action and maybe a throw to a TE. We will go an entire game without a look to a TE. This offense is baffling to me. Lance carried this offense in 2019. No way we win the Natty with any other QB. The play calling back then was weak as well.

Ahhh. The Chase Morlock wheel route. No you are talking to me POD. I mentioned it earlier and completely agree. Where is the play action roll out and us the TE's?

Also agree that Lance won us the 2019 title game over JMU. It seems like Roehl gets more conservative as the game gets tighter.

I miss Courtney Messingham as our OC.

Dewey

Bison56
October 23rd, 2021, 11:27 AM
Ahhh. The Chase Morlock wheel route. No you are talking to me POD. I mentioned it earlier and completely agree. Where is the play action roll out and us the TE's?

Also agree that Lance won us the 2019 title game over JMU. It seems like Roehl gets more conservative as the game gets tighter.

I miss Courtney Messingham as our OC.

Dewey

100% agree, I also think he can get to conservative with a lead.

Houndawg
October 23rd, 2021, 11:31 AM

One of the things that stood out to me over the seasons has always been how well NDSU sets up the play action. You know they're going to do it but they still get you with it

dewey
October 23rd, 2021, 11:37 AM
One of the things that stood out to me over the seasons has always been how well NDSU sets up the play action. You know they're going to do it but they still get you with it

Not this last spring or this fall. It should be SO EASY with the run game that NDSU has. Setting plays up shouldn't be this difficult.

Seems like the OC has a bingo card of plays and whatever number gets called is the play call. Except half of the card if shotgun read option.

Dewey

semobison
October 23rd, 2021, 04:13 PM
Redbirds beat Yotes in Vermin. UNI up 14 on the Jacks in Brookings 3rd qtr. The Bears lead the Bison by 3 at the half in Fargo. Crazy day in the Valley!

acbearkat
October 23rd, 2021, 04:14 PM
Redbirds beat Yotes in Vermin. UNI up 14 on the Jacks in Brookings 3rd qtr. The Bears lead the Bison by 3 at the half in Fargo. Crazy day in the Valley!

Northern Iowa is leading South Dakota State 23-10 in the third.

ST_Lawson
October 23rd, 2021, 04:19 PM

Apparently we're the only ones providing a sense of normalcy today. UND leads by 14 in the 3rd.

...I mean leads by 21.

Gil Dobie
October 23rd, 2021, 07:27 PM
Crazy weekend in the Valley.

Winterborn
October 23rd, 2021, 08:29 PM
Had 11 penalties for 101 yards. Can't remember the last time the Bison had that many.

acbearkat
October 23rd, 2021, 08:32 PM
Had North Dakota State had a permanent quarterback change? The offense looked better after the quarterback change.

Winterborn
October 23rd, 2021, 08:46 PM
Had North Dakota State had a permanent quarterback change? The offense looked better after the quarterback change.

I do not know about permanent but I believe Miller is starting next week. QP's shoulder is apparently hurt.

And yes our Offense looked much better after Miller came in. Which brings up the question does QP just not have that big of playbook that he knows and if not, why would you not play your better QB (Miller) who apparently knows more of the playbook?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2021, 08:46 PM
Cam Miller deserves to start at QB. Superior QB IQ in the pocket compared to QP.

Gil Dobie
October 23rd, 2021, 08:52 PM
I do not know about permanent but I believe Miller is starting next week. QP's shoulder is apparently hurt.

And yes our Offense looked much better after Miller came in. Which brings up the question does QP just not have that big of playbook that he knows and if not, why would you not play your better QB (Miller) who apparently knows more of the playbook?

Was Missouri St not ready to defend for Cam Miller, after preparing all week for Patterson? Quincy was throwing high today, a 6'6" Mathis was able to catch the ball.

Winterborn
October 23rd, 2021, 08:55 PM
Was Missouri St not ready to defend for Cam Miller, after preparing all week for Patterson? Quincy was throwing high today, a 6'6" Mathis was able to catch the ball.

Possible. But Quincy has had a tendency to over throw all season.

Gil Dobie
October 23rd, 2021, 08:57 PM
Possible. But Quincy has had a tendency to over throw all season.

Wish Mathis would stay healthy.

Winterborn
October 23rd, 2021, 09:02 PM
Wish Mathis would stay healthy.

Agree. When he is healthy he is solid.

Bison56
October 23rd, 2021, 09:22 PM

He throws high everyday.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2021, 09:27 PM
Agree. When he is healthy he is solid.

He really hasn't played enough to make any assessment on him because he has always been hurt. Looks soft but maybe he'll turn out.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2021, 09:29 PM
Another thing. I hate this RB by committee crap. Gonnella is not an every down back. Williams/Luepke should be the workhorses with the other 3 splitting reps as the change of pace guys. Luepke looks kind of dinged up.

Christiank22
October 23rd, 2021, 09:30 PM
I was very high on the QP train but some people
I know that work for the team kept telling me Cam looks a lot better compared to last spring. I was skeptical but now I believe them. The offense looked way more in control with Miller at Qb

Winterborn
October 23rd, 2021, 09:44 PM
He really hasn't played enough to make any assessment on him because he has always been hurt. Looks soft but maybe he'll turn out.

I should of said he has potential. He has 2 catches so far this season for 43 yards.

He had 5 rec for 79 yards in 2019.

POD Knows
October 23rd, 2021, 11:03 PM
NDSU caught huge breaks to win this game at home. Got a gift TD on a stupid play by MSU. Got a gift on a stupid taunting penalty by MSU.

It was a garbage win. Prove me wrong. Glad for the W but it was weak as ****.

Christiank22
October 24th, 2021, 01:14 AM
NDSU caught huge breaks to win this game at home. Got a gift TD on a stupid play by MSU. Got a gift on a stupid taunting penalty by MSU.

It’s very weird seeing you say this. I watched the game and felt the exact opposite. I felt like all the breaks went the other way.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2021, 06:00 AM

I don't agree. Teams make mistakes in every game. NDSU capitalized on a muffed punt. NDSU had stupid penalties also. MSU played a very good game but NDSU earned this one. Kudos to Entz on making the QB change. Cam is definitely a better short/mid range thrower compared to QP. Defensive adjustments also worked in the 2nd half.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2021, 08:42 AM
Another thing. I hate this RB by committee crap. Gonnella is not an every down back. Williams/Luepke should be the workhorses with the other 3 splitting reps as the change of pace guys. Luepke looks kind of dinged up.
Yeah, I feel like getting an RB into the flow of the game by feeding them multiple carries at a time has been lost with this team. Yesterday they had 17 runs from non-RBs and 18 runs from RBs... that's just not good. The RBs didn't do much with the opportunities they had so you can't really blame the play calling but I'd like to see Leupke, Williams, and Gonnella (once he's healthy) again getting full series at a time where they can get 4-5-6 carries in a bunch. Then figure who has the hot hand on that particular day and ride them. 15-20 carries for the hot hand, 5-10 carries for the other two. 3-5 carries each for Kobe and Bussey as a change of pace since they don't pack the punch those other 3 do. That leaves probably 10 or less carries for the QB which is what I'd like to see.

Speaking of QB I'm real nervous that they go back to Patterson as the starter given their reluctance to make the permanent switch at QB last spring. Quincy can still come in for a few plays (even with Cam Miller still out there) for some creative run concepts with a QP pass or 2 maybe sprinkled in there but Cam absolutely needs to be the starter moving forward.

POD Knows
October 24th, 2021, 08:46 AM
It’s very weird seeing you say this. I watched the game and felt the exact opposite. I felt like all the breaks went the other way.
I had to stay in character for 12 hours after the game or it doesn’t work. It’s complicated.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I feel like getting an RB into the flow of the game by feeding them multiple carries at a time has been lost with this team. Yesterday they had 17 runs from non-RBs and 18 runs from RBs... that's just not good. The RBs didn't do much with the opportunities they had so you can't really blame the play calling but I'd like to see Leupke, Williams, and Gonnella (once he's healthy) again getting full series at a time where they can get 4-5-6 carries in a bunch. Then figure who has the hot hand on that particular day and ride them. 15-20 carries for the hot hand, 5-10 carries for the other two. 3-5 carries each for Kobe and Bussey as a change of pace since they don't pack the punch those other 3 do. That leaves probably 10 or less carries for the QB which is what I'd like to see.

Speaking of QB I'm real nervous that they go back to Patterson as the starter given their reluctance to make the permanent switch at QB last spring. Quincy can still come in for a few plays (even with Cam Miller still out there) for some creative run concepts with a QP pass or 2 maybe sprinkled in there but Cam absolutely needs to be the starter moving forward.

Cam looks like he has a better grasp of the playbook, which makes sense because he has been here longer. QP was really inaccurate yesterday on the short/medium range passes. Some of them were total head scratchers.

This staff loves the QB run game which is ok but you need a consistent passing game if they want to challenge for the NC. Cam doesn't have the arm of QP but as of now, it doesn't matter. Middle of the field/seams/flat are open and QP is not completing those passes.

I'm sure Entz will be tight lipped all week to make ISU prepare for both but I will be surprised if Cam doesn't start.

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2021, 09:09 AM
Just put every Valley team in playoffs and see what happens

MSUWineGuy
October 24th, 2021, 09:23 AM

this is a consistent theme with MSU now, these stupid mistakes that are giving away free points. That was that returners third or fourth muffed punt now and that was that defenders second very costly taunting flag. Love the swagger, but good lord know when to turn it off.

you all earned it with that fourth quarter. We got rattled.

Chalupa Batman
October 24th, 2021, 09:26 AM

I’ve thought this for a few years. Not so much that we play too many RB’s, but that we substitute after every single play. This goes back to 2016 too. I’d prefer to leave a guy in for 3-4 plays at a time to try and get some sort of rhythm, than the next guy can come in for a few plays.

POD Knows
October 24th, 2021, 09:29 AM
I don't agree. Teams make mistakes in every game. NDSU capitalized on a muffed punt. NDSU had stupid penalties also. MSU played a very good game but NDSU earned this one. Kudos to Entz on making the QB change. Cam is definitely a better short/mid range thrower compared to QP. Defensive adjustments also worked in the 2nd half.
Defense played lights out in the second half with the exception of the one MSU drive in Q3. There were odd penalties all day. Did both of these teams become “stupid” regarding illegal formations or something. Both coaches were livid over the repeated calls for this penalty. I would also like to see a more detailed look at the long TD that was called back on the Bison for the illegal receiver down field. That was kind of a head scratcher.

Anyway. Glad the game is over. Bison played great in Q4 when it mattered and I hope MSU beats UND next week by 50. Sioux suck ****, so much ****.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2021, 09:56 AM
MVFC playoff outlook time!

Halfway through the conference season and a whopping 10 MVFC teams still have playoff hopes. There's two teams head and shoulders above the rest right now and then an absolute mess of teams with 2 and 3 conference losses. I think the MVFC is tracking towards at least 4 playoff bids, most likely 5, and potentially even 6 if things play out the right way. Here's my breakdown of the playoff outlook for each MVFC team still in contention from easiest path to the playoffs to toughest IMO:

In parenthesis for each remaining game is the estimated win % of that game according to Massey.

Should be in

Southern Illinois (6-1, 4-0)
Quality wins: @SDSU
Bad losses: None
Remaining games: @UNI(41%), MSU(59%), @ISUb(79%), YSU(76%)
The Salukis are sitting pretty right now in terms of playoff positioning along with seeding and conference title hopes. They're somewhat fortuitous in that they miss both NDSU and USD on the schedule this year but they've already won what is likely their toughest game (@SDSU). They have the toughest of their remaining games this next Saturday in Cedar Falls. If they can win that one they're looking to be a very high seed. I think 1 more win is all they need to get in but they'd need 2 to be locked in. 3 or more wins would have them in the seeds.

North Dakota St (7-0, 4-0)
Quality wins: UNI, MSU
Remaining games: ISUb(97%), @SDSU(38%), @YSU(81%), USD(77%)
The Bison squeaked one out yeterday to keep pace with idle SIU and set themselves up nicely to make another run at a conference title and a high seed. They have a very tough game looming at SDSU in a couple weeks but probably only need one more win to lock themselves into a playoff spot. If they win the 3 remaining games they're favored in they should be seeded regardless what happens at SDSU.

Work left to do

South Dakota St (5-2, 2-2)
Quality wins: @Colorado St
Remaining games: @YSU(81%), NDSU(62%), @USD(65%), UND(79%)
The Jacks dropped a tough one at home yesterday and all of a sudden find themselves scrambling a bit trying to get back into the playoff seeding discussion. There are no cupcakes in the MVFC this year but they are favored to win each of their remaining 4 games. They need to win 2 of their last 4 to secure a playoff spot and likely all 4 if they want to get back into the seeds.

Northern Iowa (4-3, 2-2)
Quality wins: @Sac St, @SDSU
Remaining games: SIU(59%), @ISUr(83%), @MSU(53%), WIU(87%)
The Panthers breathed some life back into their season with a monstrous win in Brookings yesterday and are now sitting in pretty good shape for making a run at the playoffs. They need to win 3 of their last 4 to get in but two of those (@ISUr and WIU) should be easily winnable and the other two (SIU and @MSU) are toss ups so splitting them shouldn't be too large of a task. Still they need to avoid a let down so we'll see if they can use this last game as a springboard into the playoffs.

Missouri St (4-3, 3-2)
Quality wins: USD
Bad losses: @YSU
Remaining games: UND(59%), @SIU(40%), UNI(47%), @Dixie St (96%)
The Bears almost picked up a huge win today in Fargo but now find themselves in kind of a tough spot with 4 games to play. They probably need to win 3 of their last 4 to make the playoffs and none of their next 3 games will be easy. They really need to beat UND at home next Saturday to give themselves some margin for error in the games after that @SIU and vs UNI.

South Dakota (5-3, 3-2)
Quality wins: @UNI
Bad losses: ISUr
Remaining games: @WIU(72%), SDSU(34%), @NDSU(23%)
The Coyotes dropped a game they really couldn't afford to lose yesterday at home against Illinois St. They get a bye and then a fairly easy game @WIU in a couple weeks but they close out vs SDSU and then @NDSU and they'll likely need to win at least one of those now to get into the playoffs. If they win all 3 they'll be in the seeding discussion but at this point just a seat at the playoff table is probably an ambitious enough goal.

Must win out

North Dakota (3-4, 1-3)
Quality wins: None
Remaining games: @MSU(41%), YSU(75%), ISUr(83%), @SDSU(21%)
The Hawks got back on track yesterday against WIU but their season is still on life support. They've got a big matchup in Springfield next Saturday and if they can win that one there's a good chance they'll get to their season finale in Brookings still in position to make the playoffs with a win there.

Illinois St (3-4, 1-3)
Quality wins: @USD
Remaining games: @WIU(49%), UNI(17%), @UND(17%), ISUb(70%)
The Redbirds stayed alive with a big win in Vermillion yesterday but their 3 game losing streak coming into that one probably has already doomed their playoffs hopes. They must win out and they've got 2 more very tough games vs UNI and @UND but their other two are certainly winnable so they've still got a puncher's chance.

Indiana St (4-4, 2-3)
Quality wins: @EKU
Remaining games: @NDSU(3%), SIU(21%), @ISUr(33%)
The Sycs kept themselves alive beating YSU yesterday but their schedule is about to get a lot tougher with the two leaders in the conference standings on tap next. They need to win out and Massey gives them no better than a 1 in 3 chance to win any of their last 3 games so it would be a tall order indeed to pull it off.

Youngstown St (2-4, 1-3)
Quality wins: UIW, MSU
Bad losses: WIU, @ISUb
Remaining games: SDSU(19%), @UND(25%), NDSU(19%), @SIU(24%)
The Penguins lost a game to Indiana St today that they absolutely could not afford to lose. Their remaining schedule is absolutely brutal so they're not done yet but it's likely only a matter of time before they're moved to the eliminated category.

Eliminated

Western Illinois (1-7, 1-4) - The Necks are capable of playing spoiler down the stretch as evidenced by their near victory vs SIU but that's all they can look forward to the rest of this season.

Sycamore62
October 25th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Cam looks like he has a better grasp of the playbook, which makes sense because he has been here longer. QP was really inaccurate yesterday on the short/medium range passes. Some of them were total head scratchers.

This staff loves the QB run game which is ok but you need a consistent passing game if they want to challenge for the NC. Cam doesn't have the arm of QP but as of now, it doesn't matter. Middle of the field/seams/flat are open and QP is not completing those passes.

I'm sure Entz will be tight lipped all week to make ISU prepare for both but I will be surprised if Cam doesn't start.

Im sure if you can somehow muster a FG then you will have more than enough points to win. If not your defense will need to come through with a safety.

Yote 53
October 25th, 2021, 11:14 AM
I'd like to see the MVFC issue a statement explaining this.

(20) Jay Elsen - Midco Sports on Twitter: "I’m going to throw this out there because I’m genuinely puzzled. This is the hit that knocked USD quarterback Carson Camp out of Saturday’s game. (1/3) https://t.co/Q8npJTZ1TO" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/ElsenMidco/status/1452099818193575939)

acbearkat
October 25th, 2021, 11:16 AM

(20) Jay Elsen - Midco Sports on Twitter: "I’m going to throw this out there because I’m genuinely puzzled. This is the hit that knocked USD quarterback Carson Camp out of Saturday’s game. (1/3) https://t.co/Q8npJTZ1TO" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/ElsenMidco/status/1452099818193575939)

That appears to be targeting to me.

Yote 53
October 25th, 2021, 11:38 AM

You and everybody else, except for MVFC officials. One of many calls they blew in that game.

Professor Chaos
October 25th, 2021, 12:01 PM

Not going to say the definitions that make up the targeting rule aren't messed up but I can see why that wasn't called targeting. First, Camp isn't considered a defenseless player in this scenario since he's not actively trying to make a catch, is not throwing the ball, and hasn't given himself up yet as a runner. That means the only way targeting can happen is if the defender leads with the crown of his helmet (doesn't even necessarily need to be helmet-to-helmet contact if he leads with the crown). I could see how they interpreted that as the defender turned his head to the side before impact so he didn't lead with the crown.

Again, not saying that's not a dangerous play but NDSU's All-Conference WR Christian Watson took a similar hit a couple weeks back against UNI where they didn't call it targeting and in that case the defender didn't even tilt his head, they just ruled that he led with the "forehead" rather than the crown of the helmet (apparently). I wouldn't be surprised as more dangerous hits like this pile up that they change the definition of a defenseless player to include a runner who is "in the grasp" of another tackler.

F'N Hawks
October 25th, 2021, 12:48 PM
I am not sure what else that tackler could've done differently, other than not tackle Camp. It must be noted that Camp lowered his upper body/head at the last second to create a shoulder/shoulder & head/head level hit. The tackler was going lower than Camp initially it appears.

geaux_sioux
October 25th, 2021, 12:51 PM
Both players lowered their heads. I agree with the no call there. In a perfect world they keep their heads up.

dewey
October 25th, 2021, 12:54 PM
You and everybody else, except for MVFC officials. One of many calls they blew in that game.

To me it is difficult since the QB lowers his head/shoulders BUT the defender seems to lead with the helmet.

I would like to think I could tell what targeting is and is not but he'll at this point I think the referees just flip a coin.

It wouldn't be the 1st time the MVFC got the call wrong and then admitted to it on Monday.

Dewey

Sycamore62
October 25th, 2021, 01:29 PM
he led with his shoulder, hit shoulder to shoulder. no call here. you can always slide

Yote 53
October 25th, 2021, 03:10 PM
You are all wrong. If he made contact with his facemask with his head up I would agree with you. Watch it again and you will see the defender made forcible contact to the head with the crown (or above) with his helmet. Contact is with the top of his helmet.

The rule is in place as much for the defender. Kid could have broken his neck.

Hell, read the Twitter thread, even Terry McAulay of SNF called it textbook.

(20) Terry McAulay on Twitter: "@MovieGoerFelts This is a targeting foul. The defender lowers his head and leads with the crown of the helmet. He makes forcible contact to an opponent using the crown. The crown is any part of the helmet above the mask all the way around." / Twitter (https://twitter.com/SNFRules/status/1452252262642880512)

F'N Hawks
October 25th, 2021, 07:14 PM
You are all wrong. If he made contact with his facemask with his head up I would agree with you. Watch it again and you will see the defender made forcible contact to the head with the crown (or above) with his helmet. Contact is with the top of his helmet.

(20) Terry McAulay on Twitter: "@MovieGoerFelts This is a targeting foul. The defender lowers his head and leads with the crown of the helmet. He makes forcible contact to an opponent using the crown. The crown is any part of the helmet above the mask all the way around." / Twitter (https://twitter.com/SNFRules/status/1452252262642880512)

He literally did not hit him with the top of his helmet. Watch the second video from the side. The defender turns his head, then Camp lowers his own helmet to only show the crown to the defender. The defenders helmet is looking to the left and he leads with his shoulder.
Of course his helmet is going to be close to the shoulder or near same time.

geaux_sioux
October 26th, 2021, 09:44 AM

Clearly. The guys who get paid to ref agree with us.

Yote 53
October 26th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Clearly. The guys who get paid to ref agree with us.
Are you referencing the MVFC ref who gets paid a couple bucks on the weekend to ref a game or the guy who refereed professional football and gets paid as an officials analyst for a major network? Yes, I would agree with the professional in this case as opposed to the weekend warrior. Which is kind of my point, how bad the officials are in the MVFC. This level of play deserves better officiating than what it gets. I could say the same for all of college football.

geaux_sioux
October 26th, 2021, 11:02 AM
Are you referencing the MVFC ref who gets paid a couple bucks on the weekend to ref a game or the guy who refereed professional football and gets paid as an officials analyst for a major network? Yes, I would agree with the professional in this case as opposed to the weekend warrior. Which is kind of my point, how bad the officials are in the MVFC. This level of play deserves better officiating than what it gets. I could say the same for all of college football.

Not that you don’t have a point about improving reffing at this level, but this play you’re referencing is not the smoking gun example of incompetence. They made the correct call.

TheKingpin28
October 26th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Are you referencing the MVFC ref who gets paid a couple bucks on the weekend to ref a game or the guy who refereed professional football and gets paid as an officials analyst for a major network? Yes, I would agree with the professional in this case as opposed to the weekend warrior. Which is kind of my point, how bad the officials are in the MVFC. This level of play deserves better officiating than what it gets. I could say the same for all of college football.No disagreements, but with how volatile fans are and the current generation of feelings ****ing matter more than the truth, who the **** would want that job?

Seriously, you couldn't pay me to do this job and we deserve better but then find people willing to take flack to do it. Why would I want to go to a job where thousands of people are going to call me ****ty names and potentially threaten my family and I to do that job?

Again no disagreements on how bad the refs are, but with every Karen and Chad in the stands losing their **** every 5 minutes, it's a thankless job. Why do you think there are a shortage of officials for every sport? Its cause every Tommy and Cindy that gets called out, a foul on, etc..., there is a Karen or Chad ready to take that **** personal since they offended their special little angel.

I cannot believe I am actually defending a ****ing ref. Trust me when I say, if you think this is bad, you should watch/attend a Sunday Pub League/Youth Games of football in Wales and England. Refs are literally chased to the ****ing car with a mob cause they made a bad call.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bisonator
October 26th, 2021, 11:18 AM
I don't even know wtf targeting is anymore and I don't think anyone does including the refs and replay officials. There was what appeared to be targeting in the UNI/NDSU game that was never flagged and upon review it was no penalty but it appeared to be clearly targeting to me. Then there was a clear targeting against an NDSU player in the Missouri State game that again wasn't flagged on the field but when reviewed it was deemed targeting and rightfully so IMO. This hit on the SD QB appears to be targeting at first but looking at the replays it looks like the defender did lead with his shoulder into the shoulder and their helmets collided incidentally. I guess I could see that one go either way. It really is tough on a defender when the offensive player lowers his head or body at the same time and helmets collide. Not sure how to improve this rule.

clenz
October 26th, 2021, 11:53 AM
I don't even know wtf targeting is anymore and I don't think anyone does including the refs and replay officials. There was what appeared to be targeting in the UNI/NDSU game that was never flagged and upon review it was no penalty but it appeared to be clearly targeting to me. Then there was a clear targeting against an NDSU player in the Missouri State game that again wasn't flagged on the field but when reviewed it was deemed targeting and rightfully so IMO. This hit on the SD QB appears to be targeting at first but looking at the replays it looks like the defender did lead with his shoulder into the shoulder and their helmets collided incidentally. I guess I could see that one go either way. It really is tough on a defender when the offensive player lowers his head or body at the same time and helmets collide. Not sure how to improve this rule.
Benny Sapp III was ejected from the UNI/SDSU game this weekend on SDSU's 7th or 8th play from scrimmage on a hit where he hit the WR with his chest/forearms in the WR shoulders - but because bodies and physics work the way they do - the WRs head didn't with the hit as fast as his shoulders did so Sapp's facemask made completely accident contact with the bottom of the WR helmet. Targeting was called and he was thrown out. There was no head hunting. No crown of helmet. No lunging at the WR. It was a violent hit, but it was clean. Physics are just impossible to fight against.

I get by 2021 rules "it had to be called" but holy crap was it a horrific call.

The irony of it is the very next play - I mean the very next play - his replacement went in to help tackle Strong on a run play and made far more contact with Strong's head with his own head (crown to crown) that Sapp every made with the WR. Not an indication anyone even wanted targeting called. Not one SDSU player reacted to it. There wasn't a reaction from the crown. The official didn't throw the flag so there could be a review. There wasn't even a ref that reacted like they thought about it. Just marked the ball and moved on

https://i.imgur.com/uMwN65o.png

Also, nothing about that hit was targeting either. He was trying to go low to hit Strong low. Strong ducked his head and the contact was a complete accident. However, it was still crown of helmet to crown of helmet. I don't understand the rule - and I'm convinced officials don't either.

Yote 53
October 26th, 2021, 01:31 PM
No disagreements, but with how volatile fans are and the current generation of feelings ****ing matter more than the truth, who the **** would want that job?

Seriously, you couldn't pay me to do this job and we deserve better but then find people willing to take flack to do it. Why would I want to go to a job where thousands of people are going to call me ****ty names and potentially threaten my family and I to do that job?

Again no disagreements on how bad the refs are, but with every Karen and Chad in the stands losing their **** every 5 minutes, it's a thankless job. Why do you think there are a shortage of officials for every sport? Its cause every Tommy and Cindy that gets called out, a foul on, etc..., there is a Karen or Chad ready to take that **** personal since they offended their special little angel.

I cannot believe I am actually defending a ****ing ref. Trust me when I say, if you think this is bad, you should watch/attend a Sunday Pub League/Youth Games of football in Wales and England. Refs are literally chased to the ****ing car with a mob cause they made a bad call.

I don't need to go to Wales or England, I've refereed youth hockey. I know how bad it is. It's why I hammer into the kids and parents on my teams to leave the refs alone. I don't even bother getting on refs as I just assume they are paid volunteers and won't be very good but we can't have a game without them. Refs at this level of football is a much higher standard because there is so much on the line and the game is extremely physical.

As for this hit, slow motion doesn't do it justice. This hit was so violent I thought Camp was F'ing dead. He was out initially and when he came too he was writhing around on the ground. It was not pretty. I still say it was targeting simply for the fact the defender was looking at the ground and not making the hit with his head up. Of all the BS, ticky tack targeting calls I've seen in games called over the years I think the rule was put in place for just this type of hit. That's part of the problem of what is and what isn't targeting because so many BS calls have been made it muddies the water of what the correct call is.

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2021, 03:06 PM
Benny Sapp III was ejected from the UNI/SDSU game this weekend on SDSU's 7th or 8th play from scrimmage on a hit where he hit the WR with his chest/forearms in the WR shoulders - but because bodies and physics work the way they do - the WRs head didn't with the hit as fast as his shoulders did so Sapp's facemask made completely accident contact with the bottom of the WR helmet. Targeting was called and he was thrown out. There was no head hunting. No crown of helmet. No lunging at the WR. It was a violent hit, but it was clean. Physics are just impossible to fight against.

I get by 2021 rules "it had to be called" but holy crap was it a horrific call.

The irony of it is the very next play - I mean the very next play - his replacement went in to help tackle Strong on a run play and made far more contact with Strong's head with his own head (crown to crown) that Sapp every made with the WR. Not an indication anyone even wanted targeting called. Not one SDSU player reacted to it. There wasn't a reaction from the crown. The official didn't throw the flag so there could be a review. There wasn't even a ref that reacted like they thought about it. Just marked the ball and moved on

https://i.imgur.com/uMwN65o.png

Also, nothing about that hit was targeting either. He was trying to go low to hit Strong low. Strong ducked his head and the contact was a complete accident. However, it was still crown of helmet to crown of helmet. I don't understand the rule - and I'm convinced officials don't either.
I think I found a video of that: https://youtu.be/M33D0blMrLw?t=148

The still actually makes it look worse than it really was IMO. If they follow the letter of the law any tackle attempt where a defender leads with the crown of the helmet (even it's not helmet-to-helmet contact) is supposed to be targeting. The still makes it look like he did but the video looks like they barely touched helmets and he was definitely not leading with the crown.

That and the Illinois St/USD non-call just underscore how inconsistently targeting is enforced. I don't know if the rule is fixable but I'd really wish they'd stop having an automatic ejection riding on a call so inconsistently enforced. At least make it like flagrant fouls in basketball where these ticky tack ones can be 15 yard personal fouls but only an ejection if it's the 2nd one of the game for a particular player. If it's a blatant one it can be a "targeting 2" personal foul with an automatic ejection.

clenz
October 26th, 2021, 04:18 PM
I think I found a video of that: https://youtu.be/M33D0blMrLw?t=148

The still actually makes it look worse than it really was IMO. If they follow the letter of the law any tackle attempt where a defender leads with the crown of the helmet (even it's not helmet-to-helmet contact) is supposed to be targeting. The still makes it look like he did but the video looks like they barely touched helmets and he was definitely not leading with the crown.

That and the Illinois St/USD non-call just underscore how inconsistently targeting is enforced. I don't know if the rule is fixable but I'd really wish they'd stop having an automatic ejection riding on a call so inconsistently enforced. At least make it like flagrant fouls in basketball where these ticky tack ones can be 15 yard personal fouls but only an ejection if it's the 2nd one of the game for a particular player. If it's a blatant one it can be a "targeting 2" personal foul with an automatic ejection.
Yes, the still makes it look far worse.

My point is there was still contact made - there are other angles shown as a replay - and it was crown to crown. Remember, crown isn't just the top of the helmet. It's anything above the facemask. It's called the crown because it covers where the crown would be if one was worn.

From the NCAA rule book criteria

-Launch — a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
-A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
-Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
-Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

Dearman very clearly "leads with his helmet" and makes contact with the head or neck area and makes contact with the crown of his helmet to the crown of the helmet of Strong. On top of that a defensless player is considered "A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent."

Watch the play and you can see Strong take the hit and he does move backwards and slightly up from the hit. He just can't actually go anywhere beacuse he has 315 lb Tim Butcher on his back.

The level of intention to hit helmet to helmet was the same between Sapp and Dearman. I'd argue Dearman is closer than Sapp because of the lowering of the head. Sapp was head up the entire way through and didn't use his head in the hit at all. It was simply the law of physics that caused heads to hit.

We can get into the UNI/USD game with the hit that took Weston out of the game and gave USD their final points of the first half. The hit was three times more violent than the hit Sapp gave the SDSU player. It involved the USD player launching at Weston and leading with the forehards and elbow and was hit high in the shoulder - which is neck area. They reviewed it and said "no targeting". The idea that "proof it was targeting was Camp being down on the field" Weston was down on the field and the game had to be stopped for him to leave the game, and he didn't return. More egregious in that situation was them calling that play a catch and fumble but that's another topic of officiating.

It's all proof the rule is **** and these guys are far too big and fast to have this rule written, and enforced, as it is. Then to have it done by replay where they will go frame by frame and take an impact that happened faster than a blink of an eye and slow it down so the same contact takes 10 seconds to evaluate it. It's impossible. The ejection rule on top of it is even worse.

ysubigred
October 26th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Any other MVFC school use the NHL for advertising? Wondering what advantages this has. Has to be big $ to do this.. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211027/ca53ad2bd9c24eb13219682a02ab9057.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
October 27th, 2021, 01:44 PM
here's the definition:
No player shall target and make forcible contact against anopponent with the crown of their helmet. The crown of the helmet is theportion of the helmet above the level of the top of the facemask. This foulrequires that there be at least one indicator of targeting.

contact was shoulder to shoulder. their helmets hit second. his aim wasnt above the shoulder.

MVFC officials make about $1,100 per game.

There are no football officials at any level in the US that arent "weekend warriors"

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2021, 06:29 AM
mostly serious, just seems that aura of invincibility is gone now. I think a lot of teams will watch this game today and say ...... We can go into the Fargo Dome and snatch a victory

Stig comes away with the better transfer QB

well was I right or wrong?

I was right on Stig

Jury still out on Bison but they haven’t lost yet

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2021, 08:40 AM
well was I right or wrong?

I was right on Stig

Jury still out on Bison but they haven’t lost yet
I think the auru of invincibility has been lost by MVFC teams for a while now. Since they started winning titles NDSU has almost always had their toughest regular season games in conference play and it's not always SDSU. UNI, Illinois St, even YSU have tended to play them tough no matter how good/bad they are in relation. They lost to YSU (2011), Indiana St (2012), and USD (2015) teams in conference play who didn't even make the playoffs in those years.

But there's no denying this Bison team is several notches below the 2017-2019 teams. However, I think they're every bit as good as the 2011 or 2012 teams were and both those teams won titles. They'll need some bounces to go their way just like those 2011 and 2012 teams did but they are good enough to win a national title IMO.

F'N Hawks
October 28th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Any other MVFC school use the NHL for advertising? Wondering what advantages this has. Has to be big $ to do this.. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211027/ca53ad2bd9c24eb13219682a02ab9057.jpg

NDSU fans would be your go-to for the answer. They love to talk about hockey

ysubigred
October 28th, 2021, 07:18 PM
NDSU fans would be your go-to for the answer. They love to talk about hockeyNot talking hockey, wondering about advertising in the MVFC. YSU is a cash strapped university but I seen their logo on a NHL rink?

Gil Dobie
October 28th, 2021, 11:05 PM
NDSU fans would be your go-to for the answer. They love to talk about hockey

NHL maybe. College hockey died with the birth of B1G hockey.

bonarae
October 30th, 2021, 01:49 AM
Oh we missed out on this one... no more active MSU fans here on AGS right now. Here's a vision of what a new football facility for the Bears will look like.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2021/10/28/missouri-state-football-new-football-facility-plaster-stadium-bobby-petrino-kyle-moats/6184297001/

Gil Dobie
October 30th, 2021, 05:41 AM
It's Game Day Pukes!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 30th, 2021, 06:38 AM
I fully expect the Bison will win this game. ISU's offense is very below average and their defense is average at best.

There 3-2-6 defensive alignment is not a normal "look" but the Bison OL needs to play better and hopefully it starts today.

acbearkat
October 30th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Oh we missed out on this one... no more active MSU fans here on AGS right now. Here's a vision of what a new football facility for the Bears will look like.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2021/10/28/missouri-state-football-new-football-facility-plaster-stadium-bobby-petrino-kyle-moats/6184297001/

There are a couple of Missouri State posters on here.

ST_Lawson
October 30th, 2021, 03:59 PM
I think the loss to UND broke the will of the Leathernecks. We’ll see how the second half goes, but they’re not playing like they really care much anymore.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2021, 04:03 PM
Final

South Dakota St. 47
YSU. 16

ST_Lawson
October 30th, 2021, 05:24 PM
I think the loss to UND broke the will of the Leathernecks. We’ll see how the second half goes, but they’re not playing like they really care much anymore.

Then again…

ysubigred
October 30th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Then again…Great win Dawgs [emoji122]

ST_Lawson
October 30th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Great win Dawgs [emoji122]

It ain't gonna get us into the playoffs, but it's still nice to get a win over a longtime rival.
Assuming we lose the rest of our games (vs USD and @ UNI), I think we're still looking at finding a new coaching staff at the end of the season. But at least this pulls us out of last place in the conference (I think).

ysubigred
October 30th, 2021, 07:14 PM
It ain't gonna get us into the playoffs, but it's still nice to get a win over a longtime rival.
Assuming we lose the rest of our games (vs USD and @ UNI), I think we're still looking at finding a new coaching staff at the end of the season. But at least this pulls us out of last place in the conference (I think).I feel ya.. not sure what's wrong at WIU? Every time YSU plays you all I think you all are a better coached and a better talent team..

ST_Lawson
October 30th, 2021, 08:00 PM
I feel ya.. not sure what's wrong at WIU? Every time YSU plays you all I think you all are a better coached and a better talent team..

Idk either. Some games it feels like we're pretty solid, and some games we're just completely outclassed. We have great games against Eastern Washington and Southern Illinois and narrowly lose. Then we get curb stomped by Montana and North Dakota. Now, don't get me wrong, those are two very good teams also, but it just seems like a coin flip whether we'll get destroyed or make it a game, and the prime determining factor is how lucky we get on some of the low-probability throws. We don't have a great defense (giving up 38.22 points per game)...no running game to speak of (73.2 yards per game), but it all comes down to if Sampson (QB) can connect with a few receivers in a few key situations.

MSUWineGuy
October 30th, 2021, 08:23 PM
There are a couple of Missouri State posters on here.

We’ve been busy stalking the Conference USA boards lol

ysubigred
October 30th, 2021, 08:47 PM
We’ve been busy stalking the Conference USA boards lolYou're coach will fit right in..

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 30th, 2021, 09:14 PM
I haven't heard so much trash talking and chirping from an opposing team since Georgia Southern years ago.....xrolleyesx

For a team that just got their asses handed to them, Indiana State was sure chirping away.....

acbearkat
October 30th, 2021, 09:48 PM
I haven't heard so much trash talking and chirping from an opposing team since Georgia Southern years ago.....xrolleyesx

For a team that just got their asses handed to them, Indiana State was sure chirping away.....

I’ve never heard of a score of 44-2 until today.

JacksFan40
October 30th, 2021, 09:51 PM
I’ve never heard of a score of 44-2 until today.

Last time it happened was on November 1st, 1913 when Lafayette beat Ursinus.

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2021, 10:28 PM

For a team that just got their asses handed to them, Indiana State was sure chirping away.....Their players were so damn cocky for being absolutely manhandled.

acbearkat
October 30th, 2021, 10:29 PM
Last time it happened was on November 1st, 1913 when Lafayette beat Ursinus.

I have seen a one point safety. It was Texas A&M playing Texas in Austin I believe in 2002. Texas won the game, and Texas ended up getting the one point safety.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2021, 11:20 PM
OK. Tried to watch the UND MSU game on ESPN+ replay and low and ****ing behold they only had one half of football. I wanted to see the epic UND choke. Hell, I bought beer so I could watch it in humble bliss and those ****s couldn’t get it posted or loaded up to ESPN+.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2021, 11:27 PM
OK. Tried to watch the UND MSU game on ESPN+ replay and low and ****ing behold they only had one half of football. I wanted to see the epic UND choke. Hell, I bought beer so I could watch it in humble bliss and those ****s couldn’t get it posted or loaded up to ESPN+.
I tried to pull it up on my phone a few times when they were getting down to the wire but it kept saying there was an issue with the feed so guessing that was related. From what I could gather UND fumbled twice when they were in position to put the game on ice and then Bobby P channeled his inner riverboat gambler going for it on a 4th and 1 from the UND 15 with less than a minute to play down 3 going for the win (which they of course got) instead of the game tying FG.

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2021, 11:32 PM

same

acbearkat
October 31st, 2021, 08:28 AM
As long as Northern Iowa wins 2 of their next 3, they’ll be in the playoffs. The Panthers have had two huge wins the last two weeks, and two they desperately needed.

Chalupa Batman
October 31st, 2021, 08:42 AM
As long as Northern Iowa wins 2 of their next 3, they’ll be in the playoffs. The Panthers have had two huge wins the last two weeks, and two they desperately needed.

Same is true of South Dakota and Missouri State. All 3 teams are 5-3 and have to get to 7-4 to really feel comfortable about making the playoffs.

UNI has 2 games they should win @ISUr & WIU sandwiching a game @MSU. Of course, being a Mark Farley coached team, they won’t be happy unless they lose next week to ISUr and make the next game against MSU a must-win.

MSU closes out the year with a game they should win @Dixie Normous State, but before that they have to get a split between @SIU & UNI.

South Dakota should be favored next week against WIU (assuming Carson Camp is back), and if they do win that they need to find a way to split their last 2 games vs. SDSU & @NDSU.

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2021, 09:22 AM
It was a bloodbath on the MVFC yesterday with, by my estimation, 4 teams seeing their postseason hopes dashed. Still there are 6 teams in the MVFC with 2 conference losses or less so I think the conference is still tracking towards at least 4 playoff bids and most likely 5 (6 seems very unliekly now though). It also seems possible that the conference could get 3 teams in the top 8 seeds as well. Here's my breakdown of the playoff outlook for each MVFC team still in contention from easiest path to the playoffs to toughest IMO:

In parenthesis for each remaining game is the estimated win % of that game according to Massey.

Locks

North Dakota St (8-0, 5-0)
Remaining games: @SDSU(38%), @YSU(86%), USD(81%)
The Bison locked themselves into the playoff field with their win yesterday. They have a very tough game coming up at SDSU but they could probably lose that game and still secure the MVFC autobid if they win out. If they do win out they should be a top 2 seed.

Should be in

Southern Illinois (6-2, 4-1)
Remaining games: MSU(59%), @ISUb(83%), YSU(79%)
The Salukis got tripped up yesterday in Cedar Falls but are still in fine shape. They're favored in their final three although this next game against Missouri St will be challenging. I think 1 more win is all they need to get in but they'll probably need to win all 3 if they want to get/stay in the seeds.

South Dakota St (6-2, 3-2)
Remaining games: NDSU(62%), @USD(70%), UND(81%)
The Jacks took care of business yesterday and are still in very good shape in terms of playoff positioning. They've got a monster opportunity to make an impression next week with NDSU coming to town and they'll have more opportunities to impress after that. They need to win 1 of their final 3 to get into the field but 2 wins or more probably gets them into the seeds.

Northern Iowa (5-3, 3-2)
Quality wins: @Sac St, @SDSU, SIU
Remaining games: @ISUr(85%), @MSU(54%), WIU(88%)
The Panthers have roared back to life with monstrous wins the last two weeks. They need to win 2 of their last 3 to secure a spot but they've got the quality wins to even make a case at 6-5 IMO although they've got a fairly easy path to 7 wins and a locked in spot. Their game in Springfield in a couple weeks looms large in the fact that if they win that one they'll likely win out and will find themselves in the top 8 seeds.

Work left to do

Missouri St (5-3, 4-2)
Remaining games: @SIU(41%), UNI(46%), @Dixie St (97%)
The Bears got the win they needed yesterday taking out UND in the final minute. They've got two tough games upcoming and probably need to win at least one to get into the field assuming the take care of Dixie St in their regular season finale. The quality win potential of these next two games could put them into the seeds if they win out.

South Dakota (5-3, 3-2)
Remaining games: @WIU(71%), SDSU(30%), @NDSU(18%)
The idle Coyotes didn't really see their predicament change much. They're in a tough spot as they go to WIU this next week, and WIU showed yesterday that you can't just count on a win in Macomb, and then they close out vs SDSU and then @NDSU so they'll likely need to win at least two of those to get into the playoffs. If they win all 3 they'll be in the seeding discussion but at this point just a seat at the playoff table is probably an ambitious enough of a goal.

Eliminated

North Dakota (3-5, 1-4) - The Hawks may not be completely eliminated if they can win out (which would include a win @SDSU) but they'd need a ton of help and that seems highly unlikely to boot.
Illinois St (3-5, 1-4) - The Redbirds postseason hopes were dashed in Macomb today, all they can to is hope to return the favor to a playoff contending MVFC team in the coming weeks.
Indiana St (4-5, 2-4) - It seemed inevitable that the Trees would end up here, all they can do is look forward to next season at this point.
Youngstown St (2-5, 1-4) - Likewise for the Penguins; they had given themselves far to little margin for error earlier in the season and now find themselves with nothing left to do but play the hopeful spoiler this fall.
Western Illinois (2-7, 2-4) - The Necks showed yesterday that they can't be taken for granted and they'll have more chances to destroy some playoff dreams still coming this fall.

acbearkat
October 31st, 2021, 09:36 AM
It was a bloodbath on the MVFC yesterday with, by my estimation, 4 teams seeing their postseason hopes dashed. Still there are 6 teams in the MVFC with 2 conference losses or less so I think the conference is still tracking towards at least 4 playoff bids and most likely 5 (6 seems very unliekly now though). It also seems possible that the conference could get 3 teams in the top 8 seeds as well. Here's my breakdown of the playoff outlook for each MVFC team still in contention from easiest path to the playoffs to toughest IMO:

Locks

North Dakota St (8-0, 5-0)
Remaining games: @SDSU(38%), @YSU(86%), USD(81%)
The Bison locked themselves into the playoff field with their win yesterday. They have a very tough game coming up at SDSU but they could probably lose that game and stil secure the MVFC autobid if they win out. If they do win out they should be a top 2 seed.

Should be in

Southern Illinois (6-2, 4-1)
Remaining games: MSU(59%), @ISUb(83%), YSU(79%)
The Salukis got tripped up yesterday in Cedar Falls but are still in fine shape. They're favored in their final three although this next game against Missouri St will be challenging. I think 1 more win is all they need to get in but they'll probably need to win all 3 if they want to get/stay in the seeds.

South Dakota St (6-2, 3-2)
Remaining games: NDSU(62%), @USD(70%), UND(81%)
The Jacks took care of business yesterday and are still in very good shape in terms of playoff positioning. They've got a monster opportunity to make an impression next week with NDSU coming to town and they'll have more opportunities to impress after that. They need to win 1 of their final 3 to get into the field but 2 wins or more probably gets them into the seeds.

Northern Iowa (5-3, 3-2)
Remaining games: @ISUr(85%), @MSU(54%), WIU(88%)
The Panthers have roared back to life with monstrous wins the last two weeks. They need to win 2 of their last 3 to secure a spot but they've got the quality wins to even make a case at 6-5 IMO although they've got a fairly easy path to 7 wins and a locked in spot. Their game in Springfield in a couple weeks looms large in the fact that if they win that one they'll likely win out and will find themselves in the top 8 seeds.

Work left to do

Missouri St (5-3, 4-2)
Remaining games: @SIU(41%), UNI(46%), @Dixie St (97%)
The Bears got the win they needed yesterday picking off UND in the final minute. They've got two tough games upcoming and probably need to win at least one to get into the field assuming the take care of Dixie St in their regular season finale. The quality win potential of these next two games could put themselves in the seeds if they win out.

South Dakota (5-3, 3-2)
Remaining games: @WIU(71%), SDSU(30%), @NDSU(18%)
The idle Coyotes didn't really see their predicament change much. They're in a tough spot as they go to WIU this next week, and WIU showed yesterday that you can't just count on a win in Macomb, and then they close out vs SDSU and then @NDSU so they'll likely need to win at least two of those to get into the playoffs. If they win all 3 they'll be in the seeding discussion but at this point just a seat at the playoff table is probably an ambitious enough of a goal.

Eliminated

North Dakota (3-5, 1-4) - The Hawks may not be completely eliminated if they can win out (which would include a win @SDSU) but they'd need a ton of help and that seems highly unlikely to boot.
Illinois St (3-4, 1-3) - The Redbirds postseason hopes were dashed in Macomb today, all they can to is hope to return the favor to a playoff contending MVFC team in the coming weeks.
Indiana St (4-5, 2-4) - It seemed inevitable that the Trees would end up here, all they can do is look forward to next season at this point.
Youngstown St (2-5, 1-4) - Likewise for the Penguins; they had given themselves far to little margin for error earlier in the season and now find themselves with nothing left to do but play the hopeful spoiler this fall.
Western Illinois (2-7, 2-4) - The Necks showed yesterday that they can't be taken for granted and they'll have more chances to destroy some playoff dreams still coming this fall.

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but a 7-4 South Dakota State team in my opinion, depending on how the bubble shakes out, could be left out. I’m not convinced they would be safe at 7-4. That being said, I believe the Jackrabbits will beat North Dakota State and South Dakota, which would absolutely get them in.

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2021, 09:44 AM
I know I’ve mentioned this before, but a 7-4 South Dakota State team in my opinion, depending on how the bubble shakes out, could be left out. I’m not convinced they would be safe at 7-4. That being said, I believe the Jackrabbits will beat North Dakota State and South Dakota, which would absolutely get them in.

Yeah, I sure don't think they'd be a lock at 7-4. They'd be 4-4 in conference with potentially do wins over teams higher than them in the league standings but I think that dominating win over Colorado St would pay dividends for them as well.

But I'd also pick them to win out right now so that would make it a moot point.

Houndawg
October 31st, 2021, 11:02 AM
Same is true of South Dakota and Missouri State. All 3 teams are 5-3 and have to get to 7-4 to really feel comfortable about making the playoffs.

UNI has 2 games they should win @ISUr & WIU sandwiching a game @MSU. Of course, being a Mark Farley coached team, they won’t be happy unless they lose next week to ISUr and make the next game against MSU a must-win.

MSU closes out the year with a game they should win @Dixie Normous State, but before that they have to get a split between @SIU & UNI.

South Dakota should be favored next week against WIU (assuming Carson Camp is back), and if they do win that they need to find a way to split their last 2 games vs. SDSU & @NDSU.

USD needs to be careful about lookingpast WIU

Houndawg
October 31st, 2021, 11:13 AM

If Jacks beat the Bison I like the Yotes chances against the Jacks the following week

Chalupa Batman
October 31st, 2021, 11:41 AM
USD needs to be careful about lookingpast WIU

I agree, that’s why I went with “should be favored” and not “should win.”

mvfcfan
October 31st, 2021, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty confident that any MVFC school with at least 7 D-1 wins is getting in. If one of those 7 wins was against a non-D1 then no promises.

mmiller_34
October 31st, 2021, 05:08 PM
I believe the Jackrabbits will beat North Dakota State and South Dakota

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

mmiller_34
October 31st, 2021, 05:10 PM
If Jacks beat the Bison I like the Yotes chances against the Jacks the following week

https://media4.giphy.com/media/26tknCqiJrBQG6bxC/giphy.gif

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2021, 05:19 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

Looking forward to the Marker game thread this week where we will all be arguing over why our team won't win.

Chalupa Batman
October 31st, 2021, 05:28 PM
Looking forward to the Marker game thread this week where we will all be arguing over why our team won't win.

The Marker trophy is going to be replaced with a sandbag this year.

acbearkat
October 31st, 2021, 05:28 PM
The Marker trophy is going to be replaced with a sandbag this year.

[emoji38]

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2021, 06:25 AM
This should be a good game.

Got my seats on the 50 yard line, 8 rows up and it looks like it will be nice weather on Saturday.

Bison need to start fast or in other words do not get in a big hole right away like they did against MSU. Get out to a lead and then try and control the clock and limit SDSU's possessions.

I'll be surprised if Cam doesn't start. He's adequate in the QB run game and definitely has command of the short/medium passing game. OL needs to bring it for this one. SDSU rotates the DL like the Bison do so the OL cannot have missed assignments like they have just about every game this year.

NDSU wins, the Jacks will be right back for a 2nd round game. Jacks win, will they be on opposite sides of the bracket? Either way, IMO, these teams will play each other twice this year....xnodx

Hammerhead
November 1st, 2021, 09:42 AM
Miller might be above average for a running QB although not as good as the last few Bison QBs. He has really improved from the spring season when he was a true freshman and I'm not sure if Patterson will start again if Miller stays healthy.

This should be a good game.

Got my seats on the 50 yard line, 8 rows up and it looks like it will be nice weather on Saturday.

Bison need to start fast or in other words do not get in a big hole right away like they did against MSU. Get out to a lead and then try and control the clock and limit SDSU's possessions.

I'll be surprised if Cam doesn't start. He's adequate in the QB run game and definitely has command of the short/medium passing game. OL needs to bring it for this one. SDSU rotates the DL like the Bison do so the OL cannot have missed assignments like they have just about every game this year.

NDSU wins, the Jacks will be right back for a 2nd round game. Jacks win, will they be on opposite sides of the bracket? Either way, IMO, these teams will play each other twice this year....xnodx

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Not a whole lot changed today in the MVFC playoff picture in my estimation. Missouri St and UNI basically switched spots in the pecking order (with a big matchup with each other looming) and SDSU solidified themselves. There are still 6 teams with legit playoff chances and it seems like the conference is a lock for at at least 4 playoff bids but could easily get 5. 6 isn't out of the realm of possibility but seems unlikely. It also seems possible that the conference could get 3 teams in the top 8 seeds as well. Here's my breakdown of the playoff outlook for each MVFC team still in contention from easiest path to the playoffs to toughest IMO:

In parenthesis for each remaining game is the estimated win % of that game according to Massey. These numbers will likely change tomorrow when Massey updates his rankings so I'll edit this post accordingly when that happens.

Locks

North Dakota St (8-1, 5-1)
Remaining games: @YSU(86%), USD(80%)
The Bison were already locked in put took one on the chin today in Brookings. They're still tracking towards the autobid but I think they'll need a bit of help to get back into the conversation for a top 2 seed although if they win out they should still be in the top 4 seeds. One more loss could drop them out of the seeds altogether.

Should be in

South Dakota St (7-2, 4-2)
Quality wins: @Colorado St, NDSU
Remaining games: @USD(69%), UND(84%)
The Jacks are practically a lock after their big win over NDSU today. I think with 2 super impressive wins they could probably lose their last 2 and still be fine but if they win 1 more they'll be locked in. If they win out they'll be seeded but, like NDSU, one more loss could knock them out of the seeds.

Southern Illinois (6-3, 4-2)
Remaining games: @ISUb(81%), YSU(77%)
The Salukis have lost two in a row and all of a sudden find themselves on some shaky footing. That said they'll be heavily favored in their final 2 and probably only need to win one to get into the field. If they win both they've got a shot at a seed but I think they're probably going to be playing Thanksgiving weekend even in that scenario since all they have for quality wins is a razor thin OT win over SDSU.

Missouri St (6-3, 5-2)
Quality wins: USD, @SIU
Remaining games: UNI(53%), @Dixie St (97%)
The Bears picked up their second big win in a row and now find themselves in very good shape probably only needing one win in their last 2 to get in and their finale against Dixie St should be a lay-up. If they win this next one against UNI they might even find themselves seeded as either the 2nd or 3rd team in the MVFC pecking order in that scenario.

Work left to do

South Dakota (6-3, 4-2)
Remaining games: SDSU(31%), @NDSU(20%)
The Coyotes took care of business today in Macomb which as not as easy of a job as most think. They now give themselves some margin for error with their brutal closing slate vs SDSU and then @NDSU since they'll only need to win one of those two to lock themselves in. If they win both they're likely going to be seeded taking at least a share of the conference title.

Northern Iowa (5-4, 3-3)
Bad losses: @ISUr
Remaining games: @MSU(47%), WIU(88%)
The Panthers never make it easy on themselves it seems. Their loss in Normal today puts them behind the 8 ball. They need to win out to lock themselves but they've got the quality wins to make a case at 6-5 IMO although they'd probably need a fair amount of help. Needless to say their game next week in Springfield provides the potential for either a huge bounce-back win or a potentially crippling loss.

Eliminated

North Dakota (4-5, 2-4) - The Hawks may not be completely eliminated if they can win out (which would include a win @SDSU) but they'd need a ton of help and that seems unlikely to boot.
Illinois St (4-5, 2-4) - The Redbirds postseason hopes are done but they proved today they're still a dangerous team taking out UNI.
Youngstown St (2-6, 1-5) - It looks like 2 wins is where the Penguins will stay stuck at in this lost season.
Western Illinois (2-8, 2-5) - The Necks will be playing for nothing but pride in their finale in two weeks @UNI.

MSUWineGuy
November 6th, 2021, 09:17 PM
Well done, chaos.

Houndawg
November 7th, 2021, 04:59 AM

xbowx

acbearkat
November 13th, 2021, 04:48 PM
South Dakota State now faces a must win next weekend after losing to South Dakota. In my opinion, the Coyotes are in the playoffs with that victory.

TennBison
November 13th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Try getting to pretty to often and it bites you in the butt. Just punt the ball.

Bearvision
November 13th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Bears win gets them in the picture for a top-8 seed in my view when you couple it with USD beating SDSU. That makes that win over USD look pretty good and wins over SIU and UNI also pretty solid.

This is a program that was completely moribund under Steckel.

SDFS
November 13th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Locks:

NDSU 6-1 - Win next against USD and they have the Conference Title.
MSU 6-2 - They are done with conference play.
USD 5-2 - They win on the road against NDSU and it sets up a 3 or 4 way tie for the Conference Title. The win today locks them into the playoffs.
SIU 5-2 - They play YSU at home. Conference Title is still possible.

Things get interesting: If UND beats SDSU and UNI wins, UND, SDSU and UNI will all have 6 D-1 wins. How does that change things for a potential 5th team from MVFC?
SDSU 4-3 - They host UND next week. Win and it is a lock. Lose and things get interesting. They have two quality wins @CSU and NDSU.

UND 3-4 - On the road at SDSU. Win 99% chance they are done. But, if they win UND would be tied in conference with SDSU and own H2H. Only quality win would be SDSU - but finishing the season strong winning 4 or last 5.

UNI 3-4 - Hosting WIU, like UND with a win next week they would only have 6 D1 wins, but they would have three quality wins - Sac St., SDSU and SIU. If UND wins at SDSU does it open things up for UNI in over SDSU.

Predicted Outcome: NDSU, SDSU and UNI win, SDSU is in the playoffs but the question is, does UNI get in if Sac St wins out (co Big Sky Champ or Big Sky Champ). Plus how much does the nonconference MVFC record sway the committee.

acbearkat
November 13th, 2021, 06:43 PM
Locks:

NDSU 6-1 - Win next against USD and they have the Conference Title.
MSU 6-2 - They are done with conference play.
USD 5-2 - They win on the road against NDSU and it sets up a 3 or 4 way tie for the Conference Title. The win today locks them into the playoffs.
SIU 5-2 - They play YSU at home. Conference Title is still possible.

Things get interesting:
SDSU 4-3 - They host UND next week. Win and it is a lock. Lose and things get interesting. They have two quality wins @CSU and NDSU.

UND 3-4 - On the road at SDSU. Win 99% chance they are done. But, if they win UND would be tied in conference with SDSU and own H2H. Only quality win would be SDSU - but finishing the season strong winning 4 or last 5.

UNI 3-4 - Hosting WIU, like UND with a win next week they would only have 6 D1 wins, but they would have three quality wins - Sac St., SDSU and SIU. If UND wins at SDSU does it open things up for UNI in over SDSU.

Predicted Outcome: NDSU, SDSU and UNI win, SDSU is in the playoffs but the question is, does UNI get in if Sac St wins out (co Big Sky Champ or Big Sky Champ). Plus how much does the nonconference MVFC record sway the committee.

You can put a fork in Northern Iowa. They’re done.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2021, 07:45 PM
You can put a fork in Northern Iowa. They’re done.

I don't think they're quite done. They do need a few things to go their way like SLU to beat Nicholls, Kennesaw to beat Monmouth, and Elon to beat URI. There would be a spot or two up for grabs in that scenario.

Compare 6-5 UNI to 7-4 W&M, 7-4 URI, or 7-4 VMI. They'd look pretty good I'd say especially if Sac St is a Big Sky champ/co-champ.

Chalupa Batman
November 13th, 2021, 07:52 PM
I don't think they're quite done. They do need a few things to go their way like SLU to beat Nicholls, Kennesaw to beat Monmouth, and Elon to beat URI. There would be a spot or two up for grabs in that scenario.

Compare 6-5 UNI to 7-4 W&M, 7-4 URI, or 7-4 VMI. They'd look pretty good I'd say especially if Sac St is a Big Sky champ/co-champ.

They would need a lot to go right, and USD winning today really hurt their chances too.

Guarantee one thing, if they do sneak in whoever draws them is not going to be too happy about it.

TennBison
November 13th, 2021, 07:53 PM
The interesting thing about SDSU if they lose to UND is that I understand that they will not have enough D1 wins. There record would be 7-4, but only 6 qualifying wins. Doesn't that keep them out? Or basically a win your in, lose your out scenario?

Chalupa Batman
November 13th, 2021, 07:59 PM
The interesting thing about SDSU if they lose to UND is that I understand that they will not have enough D1 wins. There record would be 7-4, but only 6 qualifying wins. Doesn't that keep them out? Or basically a win your in, lose your out scenario?

6 wins qualifies for the playoffs. Whether that's good enough compared to the rest of the bubble is another story. Having the FBS win will help them plenty.

Gil Dobie
November 13th, 2021, 08:03 PM

Does the committee look at UNI as 6-4, with the FBS loss, if they beat WIU?

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2021, 08:04 PM
They would need a lot to go right, and USD winning today really hurt their chances too.

Guarantee one thing, if they do sneak in whoever draws them is not going to be too happy about it.
Yeah, that's true. 6 teams out of the MVFC is probably not happening. I guarantee though that UNI would be the only team sitting outside the field with 3 wins over teams inside the field.

Chalupa Batman
November 13th, 2021, 08:06 PM
Yeah, that's true. 6 teams out of the MVFC is probably not happening. I guarantee though that UNI would be the only team sitting outside the field with 3 wins over teams inside the field.

With any luck they'll sneak in and get paired with Kennesaw :D

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2021, 08:12 PM
Does the committee look at UNI as 6-4, with the FBS loss, if they beat WIU?
I don't think the FBS loss necessarily counts against them but it's not as helpful as another D1 win (any D1 win) would be. I know a few years back Austin Peay missed the playoffs at 8-4 with 3 FBS losses and the committee chair mentioned that if they would've had fewer games against FBS teams and an extra FCS win or two it could've made the difference.

acbearkat
November 13th, 2021, 08:12 PM
Here’s what the South Dakota State coaches should have said: “Knock it down son!”

SDFS
November 13th, 2021, 08:20 PM
Here’s what the South Dakota State coaches should have said: “Knock it down son!”

OR, just put enough air under it to end the game.

Chalupa Batman
November 13th, 2021, 08:32 PM
OR, just put enough air under it to end the game.

8 seconds is a lot of time to kill on that play. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but at the time I thought they should've punted. Tell the punter to get it away as quickly as possible and don't worry how much you can get on it, if it's only a 25 yarder who cares. And should he bobble the ball at all, just fall on the ground so nothing disastrous happens like that Michigan-Michigan State game a few years ago.

TennBison
November 13th, 2021, 08:40 PM
8 seconds is a lot of time to kill on that play. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but at the time I thought they should've punted. Tell the punter to get it away as quickly as possible and don't worry how much you can get on it, if it's only a 25 yarder who cares. And should he bobble the ball at all, just fall on the ground so nothing disastrous happens like that Michigan-Michigan State game a few years ago.
Agreed, they tried to get fancy and cute. And at some point it will always bite you in the butt when the timing is bad. That outcome very well could be a one in a hundred. Every week you see at least 4-5 college games in the same dramatic fashion, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But a loss is a loss and SDSU got beat, no moral victories for SDSU.

Chalupa Batman
November 13th, 2021, 08:53 PM
Agreed, they tried to get fancy and cute. And at some point it will always bite you in the butt when the timing is bad. That outcome very well could be a one in a hundred. Every week you see at least 4-5 college games in the same dramatic fashion, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But a loss is a loss and SDSU got beat, no moral victories for SDSU.

The irony here is, USD played better the whole game and the bunnies almost snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. But then they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory like you said.

acbearkat
November 13th, 2021, 08:54 PM

Several years ago with Titans and Texans you had a similar situation on a Hail Mary. The Titans won the game and all the Texans player had to do was knock the ball down.

Chalupa Batman
November 13th, 2021, 09:01 PM
Several years ago with Titans and Texans you had a similar situation on a Hail Mary. The Titans won the game and all the Texans player had to do was knock the ball down.

Often times players are criticized too harshly for not just knocking the ball down. I think there are a great number of times where a player tries to knock it down, but he can't or doesn't get his hands on top of the ball which can instead knock it back up in the air. Not saying that's what happened here (I'd have to take another look) but more of a general observation. Another variable to consider is when defenders are trying to knock the ball down there's about a half dozen other sets of hands reaching for the ball too.

ST_Lawson
November 13th, 2021, 09:08 PM
Often times players are criticized too harshly for not just knocking the ball down. I think there are a great number of times where a player tries to knock it down, but he can't or doesn't get his hands on top of the ball which can instead knock it back up in the air. Not saying that's what happened here (I'd have to take another look) but more of a general observation. Another variable to consider is when defenders are trying to knock the ball down there's about a half dozen other sets of hands reaching for the ball too.

I know that it's highly likely that knocking it down is the best option statistically, but I remember watching a game where the defender did knock it down...right into the hands of a receiver who was falling down on the ground in the end zone. Pretty sure that was an NFL game.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2021, 09:40 PM

On a completely unrelated note what in the world is going on with your Longhorns right now??? Losing at home to KU is a fireable offense even for first year Sarkisian.

acbearkat
November 13th, 2021, 09:55 PM
On a completely unrelated note what in the world is going on with your Longhorns right now??? Losing at home to KU is a fireable offense even for first year Sarkisian.

The program has hit rock bottom. There will be a massive overhaul of the roster in the offseason. It’s ugly. At least I have baseball to look forward to. If it weren’t for Sam Ehlinger, Texas would have hit rock bottom much earlier. Tom Herman was fired a year too late. I’m an Astros fan as well, and I went through the ugly times there, and I’m a Rockets fan, and right now I don’t care because the team is so bad.

The UT defense has been bad this year, and the offensive line has not been good, either.

dewey
November 13th, 2021, 11:55 PM
The program has hit rock bottom. There will be a massive overhaul of the roster in the offseason. It’s ugly. At least I have baseball to look forward to. If it weren’t for Sam Ehlinger, Texas would have hit rock bottom much earlier. Tom Herman was fired a year too late. I’m an Astros fan as well, and I went through the ugly times there, and I’m a Rockets fan, and right now I don’t care because the team is so bad.

The UT defense has been bad this year, and the offensive line has not been good, either.

Is Sark going to be able to right the ship or is it too early to tell?

Crazy to think Texas loses to Kansas. Wow.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Dewey
First Big 12 road win for KU since 2008. NDSU has had 3 Big 12 road wins in that time frame. xlolx

acbearkat
November 14th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Dewey

It all depends on how next year goes. If things don’t improve, there’s a good chance there will be a head coaching change after next season. The boosters have deep pockets and are notoriously impatient.

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2021, 01:14 PM
In today's WIU at UNI game, Coach Don Patterson is doing color commentary. For those that aren't aware, Coach P was WIU's coach for about a decade during some of our best years of football and also survived a bout with throat cancer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Patterson_(American_football_coach)

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Postseason all-conference teams released this morning: https://valley-football.org/documents/2021/11/29//2021_MVFC_All_Conference_Teams.pdf?id=2149

atthewbon
November 29th, 2021, 11:06 AM
IDK if this is the right place to post this but 3 star Chase Mason just committed to the Jacks. I believe he was playing baseball at Nebraska and was an MLB draft prospect. He also originally has P5 football offers. Could be a big get for the sdsu.

Chalupa Batman
November 29th, 2021, 12:30 PM
IDK if this is the right place to post this but 3 star Chase Mason just committed to the Jacks. I believe he was playing baseball at Nebraska and was an MLB draft prospect. He also originally has P5 football offers. Could be a big get for the sdsu.

There only FBS offer I saw was Fresno State. Read that Wyoming recruited him too. Still a very nice get for the Jacks. Didn’t the Jacks sign a highly touted QB from Ohio or Indiana this last class too? QB room getting a little crowded there though which is a nice problem to have but probably will be hard to keep everyone.

atthewbon
November 29th, 2021, 12:45 PM
There only FBS offer I saw was Fresno State. Read that Wyoming recruited him too. Still a very nice get for the Jacks. Didn’t the Jacks sign a highly touted QB from Ohio or Indiana this last class too? QB room getting a little crowded there though which is a nice problem to have but probably will be hard to keep everyone.

I don’t following recruiting too much but I thought I saw somewhere he got a Kansas st offer for football (Though I could be wrong). The jacks qb room looks loaded right now I wouldn’t be surprised if at least one transfers or changes positions.

Chalupa Batman
November 29th, 2021, 12:55 PM
I don’t following recruiting too much but I thought I saw somewhere he got a Kansas st offer for football (Though I could be wrong). The jacks qb room looks loaded right now I wouldn’t be surprised if at least one transfers or changes positions.

He's a tremendous athlete that I'm sure could play a few different positions. I actually thought he might do the same thing Chad Greenway did, convert from a 9 man QB in high school to a LB in college.

Have you heard why he left Nebraska and switched from baseball to football?

atthewbon
November 29th, 2021, 01:00 PM
He's a tremendous athlete that I'm sure could play a few different positions. I actually thought he might do the same thing Chad Greenway did, convert from a 9 man QB in high school to a LB in college.

Have you heard why he left Nebraska and switched from baseball to football?

From what I’ve seen he just wanted to play football more. But I also think he got injured at Nebraska

JacksFan40
November 29th, 2021, 02:01 PM

Saw him when he played high school at Viborg-Hurley, guy is insane. If he's still playing QB still that'll make the QB room next year stacked beyond belief.

JacksFan40
November 29th, 2021, 02:04 PM

He had FBS offers from Wyoming, Fresno State, and K-State. FCS offers from SDSU and USD according to the thread on SDSUFans.

SDFS
November 29th, 2021, 02:26 PM
He had FBS offers from Wyoming, Fresno State, and K-State. FCS offers from SDSU and USD according to the thread on SDSUFans.

Yes, he looked really good. It will be interested to see how things play out.

SDFS
November 29th, 2021, 02:29 PM
From what I’ve seen he just wanted to play football more. But I also think he got injured at Nebraska

I believe that he had a knee injury coming out of high school his senior year also.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2021, 02:31 PM
QB room getting a little crowded there though which is a nice problem to have but probably will be hard to keep everyone.

We'd take one or two off their hands ;)

ST_Lawson
November 30th, 2021, 01:41 PM
UND RB Otis Weah has entered the transfer portal. You gotta imagine he's going to get some interest at the G5 level.

https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1465766737509556227

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2021, 02:12 PM
UND RB Otis Weah has entered the transfer portal. You gotta imagine he's going to get some interest at the G5 level.

https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1465766737509556227
Some red flags with this guy IMO... UND took a chance on him as he was a big-time academic risk and they both benefitted from it with his great seasons in 2019 and spring 2021 but he had a really weird situation this past season where he didn't travel with the team due to "illness" for a road trip and then he was spotted that Friday the team left at a Moorhead High School (his HS alma mater) football game. Don't know much more beyond that but I wonder if this was a mutual decision???

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Some red flags with this guy IMO... UND took a chance on him as he was a big-time academic risk and they both benefitted from it with his great seasons in 2019 and spring 2021 but he had a really weird situation this past season where he didn't travel with the team due to "illness" for a road trip and then he was spotted that Friday the team left at a Moorhead High School (his HS alma mater) football game. Don't know much more beyond that but I wonder if this was a mutual decision???

Wonder if his brother will still go to UND?

SDFS
November 30th, 2021, 05:15 PM

It's the new world, last spring during UND's playoff run they lost a starting RG to the portal. A projected starting corner for next years team entered the portal and a day later announced that he is attending U of Min. So, I would have to believe that other schools have reached out to Otis. We will see shortly I guess.

POD Knows
November 30th, 2021, 05:21 PM
It's the new world, last spring during UND's playoff run they lost a starting RG to the portal. A projected starting corner for next years team entered the portal and a day later announced that he is attending U of Min. So, I would have to believe that other schools have reached out to Otis. We will see shortly I guess.
Yea. I will be real curious. He is like the 10th best running back in the MVFC with baggage. Good luck to him. Keep us posted.

ST_Lawson
December 7th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Some names regarding the WIU HC position search. I know that these guys are highly interested and are in the application/interview process:
Matt Drinkall (TE Coach at Army): https://goarmywestpoint.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/matt-drinkall/1272
Ian Shields (Offensive Analyst at UNLV): https://unlvrebels.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ian-shields/3388
Tyler Yelk (Safeties at Temple): https://owlsports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/tyler-yelk/4607

Yelk and Drinkall both were at Western previously (Yelk under Nielson and Drinkall under Patterson)

Thoughts from you guys?

atthewbon
December 7th, 2021, 06:55 PM
https://twitter.com/tommillergf/status/1468307772496576512?s=21

I doubt anything happens soon but this is interesting…

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2021, 09:24 PM
https://twitter.com/tommillergf/status/1468307772496576512?s=21

I doubt anything happens soon but this is interesting…

Been calling for Summit League Football for years now.....it needs to happen.

SDFS
December 7th, 2021, 11:10 PM
Been calling for Summit League Football for years now.....it needs to happen.

Football - 6 could be enough. Programs could pillage the other conferences in nonconference games. A minimum of two at large schools would make the playoffs annually. It would let programs like NDSU buy an obscene number of home nonconference football games plus FBS road games if they wanted. Let's see in a 12 season schedule (3 home and 2 road conference games) they could have 10 home games and 2 road games.

USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU, WIU, St. Thomas (?)

BB: UMKC, Omaha, Denver, ORU

POD Knows
December 15th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Didn’t know where to put this but here is the LOIs for NDSU thus far.

2022 NDSU Football Early Signing Class Roster

Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Yr.
Hometown
High School

Austin Altepeter
LB
6-2
Fr.
Fargo, N.D.
Moorhead HS

Toby Anene
DE
6-3
Fr.
Cottage Grove, Minn.
East Ridge HS

Hudson Artz
S
5-11
Fr.
Fairmont, Minn.
Fairmont HS

Kelby Azure
TE
6-3
Fr.
Portland, N.D.
Northwood HS

Trevor Brown
DT
6-1
Fr.
Eagle, Neb.
Waverly HS

Allante Burley
DE
6-1
Fr.
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Peachtree Ridge HS

Kaden Chadwick
OL
6-5
Fr.
Granville, N.D.
Velva HS

Mekhi Collins
WR
6-4
Fr.
North Mankato, Minn.
Mankato West HS

Kellen Entz
WR
6-2
Fr.
West Fargo, N.D.
Sheyenne HS

Nate Forystek
TE
6-5
Fr.
Green Bay, Wis.
Bay Port HS

Darius Givance
DB
6-1
Fr.
Champlin, Minn.
Champlin Park HS

Ben Goldy
OL
6-7
Fr.
Rapid City, S.D.
Stevens HS

John Gores
WR
5-6
Fr.
Fargo, N.D.
Shanley HS

Nathan Hayes
QB
6-2
Fr.
West Chicago, Ill.
St. Charles East HS

Carson Hegerle
WR
6-2
Fr.
West Fargo, N.D.
West Fargo HS

Kegan Huber
CB
5-11
Fr.
Lake Geneva, Wis.
Badger HS

John Kaczor
DT
6-1
Fr.
St. Augusta, Minn.
St. Cloud Tech HS

Jacob Kelly
LB
6-3
Fr.
Laporte, Minn.
Bemidji HS

Drew Klein
K
5-9
Fr.
Hortonville, Wis.
Hortonville HS

Luke Kokat
TE
6-2
Fr.
Sturtevant, Wis.
Union Grove HS

Logan Larson
DT
6-2
Fr.
Woodbury, Minn.
East Ridge HS

Devin Lockerby
OL
6-4
Fr.
Faribault, Minn.
Faribault HS

Josh Magin
DT
6-5
Fr.
Shakopee, Minn.
Shakopee HS

Kelton McCaslin
DE
6-4
Fr.
St. Charles, Ill.
St. Charles East HS

Mateo Noriega
OL
6-4
Fr.
Burnsville, Minn.
Burnsville HS

Max Rader
OL
6-6
Fr.
De Pere, Wis.
Notre Dame Academy HS

Brit Senftner
LB
6-2
Fr.
Bismarck, N.D.
St. Mary's Central HS

Nathaniel Staehling
LB
6-2
Fr.
Baxter, Minn.
Brainerd HS

Cedric Wall
WR
6-0
Fr.
Rosemount, Minn.
Rosemount HS

Gannon Williams
DE
6-3
Fr.
Marshalltown, Iowa
Marshalltown HS

Kaden Zenzen
TE
6-4
Fr.
Hawley, Minn.
Barnesville HS

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2021, 12:28 PM
Didn’t know where to put this but here is the LOIs for NDSU thus far.

2022 NDSU Football Early Signing Class Roster

Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Yr.
Hometown
High School

Austin Altepeter
LB
6-2
Fr.
Fargo, N.D.
Moorhead HS

Toby Anene
DE
6-3
Fr.
Cottage Grove, Minn.
East Ridge HS

Hudson Artz
S
5-11
Fr.
Fairmont, Minn.
Fairmont HS

Kelby Azure
TE
6-3
Fr.
Portland, N.D.
Northwood HS

Trevor Brown
DT
6-1
Fr.
Eagle, Neb.
Waverly HS

Allante Burley
DE
6-1
Fr.
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Peachtree Ridge HS

Kaden Chadwick
OL
6-5
Fr.
Granville, N.D.
Velva HS

Mekhi Collins
WR
6-4
Fr.
North Mankato, Minn.
Mankato West HS

Kellen Entz
WR
6-2
Fr.
West Fargo, N.D.
Sheyenne HS

Nate Forystek
TE
6-5
Fr.
Green Bay, Wis.
Bay Port HS

Darius Givance
DB
6-1
Fr.
Champlin, Minn.
Champlin Park HS

Ben Goldy
OL
6-7
Fr.
Rapid City, S.D.
Stevens HS

John Gores
WR
5-6
Fr.
Fargo, N.D.
Shanley HS

Nathan Hayes
QB
6-2
Fr.
West Chicago, Ill.
St. Charles East HS

Carson Hegerle
WR
6-2
Fr.
West Fargo, N.D.
West Fargo HS

Kegan Huber
CB
5-11
Fr.
Lake Geneva, Wis.
Badger HS

John Kaczor
DT
6-1
Fr.
St. Augusta, Minn.
St. Cloud Tech HS

Jacob Kelly
LB
6-3
Fr.
Laporte, Minn.
Bemidji HS

Drew Klein
K
5-9
Fr.
Hortonville, Wis.
Hortonville HS

Luke Kokat
TE
6-2
Fr.
Sturtevant, Wis.
Union Grove HS

Logan Larson
DT
6-2
Fr.
Woodbury, Minn.
East Ridge HS

Devin Lockerby
OL
6-4
Fr.
Faribault, Minn.
Faribault HS

Josh Magin
DT
6-5
Fr.
Shakopee, Minn.
Shakopee HS

Kelton McCaslin
DE
6-4
Fr.
St. Charles, Ill.
St. Charles East HS

Mateo Noriega
OL
6-4
Fr.
Burnsville, Minn.
Burnsville HS

Max Rader
OL
6-6
Fr.
De Pere, Wis.
Notre Dame Academy HS

Brit Senftner
LB
6-2
Fr.
Bismarck, N.D.
St. Mary's Central HS

Nathaniel Staehling
LB
6-2
Fr.
Baxter, Minn.
Brainerd HS

Cedric Wall
WR
6-0
Fr.
Rosemount, Minn.
Rosemount HS

Gannon Williams
DE
6-3
Fr.
Marshalltown, Iowa
Marshalltown HS

Kaden Zenzen
TE
6-4
Fr.
Hawley, Minn.
Barnesville HS

Big class

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Big class
Yeah, curiously big IMO. NDSU only had about 10 of the 20-some seniors go through senior day recognition in the last regular season home game so assuming the rest are planning to use their free COVID year and come back but with this many incoming freshmen (and they'll probably get a couple more in the late signing period) it makes me think there's some roster attrition coming once the season is over.

ST_Lawson
June 16th, 2022, 02:07 PM

"Red Flags" indeed...

https://twitter.com/WyattWheeler_NL/status/1537501397859581953

F'N Hawks
June 16th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Maybe the MSU fans will now understand the animosity that was shown a few weeks ago when he threw UND under the bus. Very few players have been helped as much as Otis has in the past three years. The staff has ALOT more time on their hands now to actually deal with football

POD Knows
June 16th, 2022, 05:58 PM
Maybe the MSU fans will now understand the animosity that was shown a few weeks ago when he threw UND under the bus. Very few players have been helped as much as Otis has in the past three years. The staff has ALOT more time on their hands now to actually deal with footballHe is your guy, your school recruited him, weren't you guys throwing shade at NDSU for MISSING out on him????

SUPharmacist
June 16th, 2022, 06:11 PM
Well damn, I hate stories like this. I hope allegations are untrue, but if so I am depressed by what it says about people making things up and the impact on the alleged perpetrator. If allegations are true it is even more depressing to know there is a victim out there there who went through awful things and the only punishment for the perpetrator is they no longer get to play college football.

I hope if there is a victim they find peace, and I hope Weah did not actually do whatever is alleged. If he did, I hope he realizes how light the punishment is and realizes he committed an awful act.

Well damn normally I avoid topics like this because I realize as an outsider I have no good input, but here I wasted words.

Hopefully both UND and MSU made the right decision and hopefully NDSU keeps kicking their asses. I don't know the last time NDSU had to deal with something like this but hopefully they don't have to in the future. If they do I just hope my alma mater has the integrity to deal with things head on and doesn't try to cover anything up.

SUPharmacist
June 16th, 2022, 06:18 PM
He is your guy, your school recruited him, weren't you guys throwing shade at NDSU for MISSING out on him????

**** man. He wasn't defending him. If you think they had info warning about this before he came to the team share it, otherwise shut your mouth.

I hope UND burns down, but I also understand awful things happen in this world and we may not get the info ahead of time to avoid them. Currently I have no reason to believe UND tried to cover anything up. If they did **** them, but I am not ready to judge only to have NDSU run into a similar situation with no ill intent.

POD Knows
June 16th, 2022, 06:56 PM
**** man. He wasn't defending him. If you think they had info warning about this before he came to the team share it, otherwise shut your mouth.

I hope UND burns down, but I also understand awful things happen in this world and we may not get the info ahead of time to avoid them. Currently I have no reason to believe UND tried to cover anything up. If they did **** them, but I am not ready to judge only to have NDSU run into a similar situation with no ill intent.Didn't ****ing saying he was defending him, NDSU passed on this guy, UND took him and then trash talked about it. Am I wrong here???

F'N Hawks
June 16th, 2022, 07:14 PM
Didn't ****ing saying he was defending him, NDSU passed on this guy, UND took him and then trash talked about it. Am I wrong here???

Grow up man.

SDFS
June 16th, 2022, 07:34 PM
Well damn, I hate stories like this. I hope allegations are untrue, but if so I am depressed by what it says about people making things up and the impact on the alleged perpetrator. If allegations are true it is even more depressing to know there is a victim out there there who went through awful things and the only punishment for the perpetrator is they no longer get to play college football.

I hope if there is a victim they find peace, and I hope Weah did not actually do whatever is alleged. If he did, I hope he realizes how light the punishment is and realizes he committed an awful act.

Well damn normally I avoid topics like this because I realize as an outsider I have no good input, but here I wasted words.

Hopefully both UND and MSU made the right decision and hopefully NDSU keeps kicking their asses. I don't know the last time NDSU had to deal with something like this but hopefully they don't have to in the future. If they do I just hope my alma mater has the integrity to deal with things head on and doesn't try to cover anything up.

Well said and it is so difficult to work through these issues. I think the reason that more formal legal proceeding did not take place is that the parents are trying to protect the victim as much as possible while still trying to get a sense of justice. It is truly a no win situation for all involved and I hope all do find peace.

Mfergy4
June 17th, 2022, 09:14 AM
Well stated SUPharmacist!

POD Knows
June 17th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Grow up man.
Dude, what fun would that be? It is the off season, the pickings are slim, need to grab on to anything to dunk on you guys. During the season there will be plenty of substantial items available at the ready to throw shade your way. Chillax