PDA

View Full Version : MEAC expanding?

Libertine
May 10th, 2021, 10:11 PM
According to a report from HBCUSports.com (https://hbcusports.com/2021/05/10/kentucky-state-virginia-state-considering-move-up-to-division-i-to-join-meac/), the MEAC is in discussions with D2 Virginia State and D2 Kentucky State about moving up to D1 and joining the conference. Any move is at least three to four years away as neither KSU or VSU has completed a feasibility study.

Neither school is consistently strong athletically so I don't know if this is foresight on the part of the MEAC or desperation but it is, if nothing else, a progressive move. At least, the conference isn't willing to sit on its hands while its arms fall off.

The Boogie Down
May 11th, 2021, 12:59 AM
Very late to the game but can anyone briefly explain what happened to cause this MEAC implosion to begin with? Historically, wasn't the MEAC always (or at least in the last 20-30 years) rated ahead of the SWAC when it came to football?

Anthony215
May 11th, 2021, 07:18 AM
VSU football and basketball has been pretty strong recently and they have a BB arena that is probably the best in the MEAC currently so I could definitely see VSU making the jump to the MEAC. As for KSU they're further out west and would be a traveling nightmare for BB/Baseball but to fill numbers and keep it a HBCU conference I see why they're entertaining the possibility of adding them.

ST_Lawson
May 11th, 2021, 08:34 AM
Very late to the game but can anyone briefly explain what happened to cause this MEAC implosion to begin with? Historically, wasn't the MEAC always (or at least in the last 20-30 years) rated ahead of the SWAC when it came to football?

I always thought of them as about even generally. MEAC had Bethune-Cookman, Florida A&M, and NC A&T, which all have had a decent amount of success over the last couple of decades. SWAC has had success from Grambling, Southern, and Alcorn State. I do think of the MEAC as having a bit more talented teams over the years, but the SWAC has the Bayou Classic, which was was traditionally one of the only FCS/I-AA games shown on national TV.

Early 2020, NC A&T announced they were joining the Big South, presumably because they feel they can do better in the FCS playoffs than competing for the HBCU Championship nearly every year. They've also hinted that their goal is to get to the FBS eventually, and they must feel that the Big South is a better vehicle to take them there.

Once NC A&T announced they were leaving, I think that started the dominoes to fall. As the two Florida teams, separated from most of the rest of the MEAC by essentially 2 states (Georgia and SC...although there is still SC State in there) BCU and FAMU felt that they were on something of an island (the majority of the teams are in the VA, MD, DE, and DC coastal areas) and that looking west would be the better option. Now they have teams in nearby Alabama and Mississippi that they will play on a regular basis.

There might be more to it than that, but that's the "gist" of what I was hearing when it was going on.

Pinnum
May 11th, 2021, 09:08 AM
BCU and FAMU always seemed like they belonged in the SWAC, to me. Of course, I am basing that mainly on geography but I am not surprised it happened.

I am not sure that VSU or KySU are better positioned than Savannah State. The problem the MEAC has is that it is really a DC/Baltimore region based conference.

I can see the appeal for VSU since they will fill in the gap in the southern part of the conference and would cut down on travel. KySU seems to be simply the best other option available. They aren't a good geographic fit but the SIAC is a very spread out conference so KySU is already use to the amount of travel they would need to make in the MEAC. It could actually be an improvement for them.

https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/MEAC_Proposed_Expansion (https://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/MEAC_Proposed_Expansion)

WileECoyote06
May 11th, 2021, 09:24 AM
I always thought of them as about even generally. MEAC had Bethune-Cookman, Florida A&M, and NC A&T, which all have had a decent amount of success over the last couple of decades. SWAC has had success from Grambling, Southern, and Alcorn State. I do think of the MEAC as having a bit more talented teams over the years, but the SWAC has the Bayou Classic, which was was traditionally one of the only FCS/I-AA games shown on national TV.

Early 2020, NC A&T announced they were joining the Big South, presumably because they feel they can do better in the FCS playoffs than competing for the HBCU Championship nearly every year. They've also hinted that their goal is to get to the FBS eventually, and they must feel that the Big South is a better vehicle to take them there.

Once NC A&T announced they were leaving, I think that started the dominoes to fall. As the two Florida teams, separated from most of the rest of the MEAC by essentially 2 states (Georgia and SC...although there is still SC State in there) BCU and FAMU felt that they were on something of an island (the majority of the teams are in the VA, MD, DE, and DC coastal areas) and that looking west would be the better option. Now they have teams in nearby Alabama and Mississippi that they will play on a regular basis.

There might be more to it than that, but that's the "gist" of what I was hearing when it was going on.

That wasn't a major factor. Travel and time spent away from class was the major factor for both A&T and Hampton, according to their 'official' statements. If the FCS championship was a primary motivator, then why join the Big South? No Big South team is winning a natty any time soon; and the (football side of the) conference is just as unstable as the MEAC. The Big South offered reduced travel for the other sports; and better (conference power) ratings for women's basketball. A&T has a stronger regional and national brand than any other Big South school, save Hampton. They got a prize.

Sidebar: Hampton views the Big South as a springboard to possible CAA membership (delusional); and A&T sees it as a springboard to FBS.

FAMU and the SWAC came together as a relationship of mutual convenience. Their fanbase wanted to be in the SWAC; there were no schools in Georgia to alleviate travel costs; and they needed to cut their athletic budget. They were already behind by millions of dollars in expenditures; but to their credit they don't rely upon student fees as heavily as the mid-atlantic schools. Within the SWAC they have a better travel schedule, and the opportunity to seek other revenue streams. BCU, who'd been propositioned by other regional conferences in past years, didn't see a path forward with the MEAC and was forced to follow FAMU.

NY Crusader 2010
May 11th, 2021, 09:32 AM
This is a desperation move. MEAC has 2-3 years left IMO. I wish success to the remaining schools and hope they all find a stable permanent DI home if the league does ultimately fold. I think you'll ultimately see a couple of schools drop to D-II => UMES, Morgan State

Anthony215
May 11th, 2021, 09:44 AM
This is a desperation move. MEAC has 2-3 years left IMO. I wish success to the remaining schools and hope they all find a stable permanent DI home if the league does ultimately fold. I think you'll ultimately see a couple of schools drop to D-II => UMES, Morgan State

I see DSU/UMES/Coppin State dropping to D2, Morgan State will try to latch on with Howard to the NEC or another D1 conference. NCCU will just follow NC A&T to the Big South and SCSU will either be forced to join the SWAC, Big South, or drop down to D2.

WileECoyote06
May 11th, 2021, 09:54 AM

Morgan isn't dropping. Don't get competitiveness confused with institutional profile.

That would truly be a shame.

WileECoyote06
May 11th, 2021, 09:56 AM
I see DSU/UMES/Coppin State dropping to D2, Morgan State will try to latch on with Howard to the NEC or another D1 conference. NCCU will just follow NC A&T to the Big South and SCSU will either be forced to join the SWAC, Big South, or drop down to D2.

DSU isn't dropping to D2 either. See above post.

Libertine
May 11th, 2021, 09:59 AM

The MEAC's current situation has been a long time coming and has very little to do with the relative strength of sports programs. I think the real problem is that there has been overall financial instability within some the league's members for a long time.

Delaware State was talking to the Big South as far back as 2004 in order to mitigate some of its post-9/11 travel costs
That was the same year that FAMU tried to jump to FBS but faceplanted, overextending itself financially and nearly bankrupting the school
SC State was so badly managed by its board that the state government seriously considered shutting the school down for two years and re-opening it as a juco
Norfolk State fired their president in 2013 for mismanagement amidst rumors of an NSU-Old Dominion merger
Savannah State couldn't keep up financially and went back to D2
Winston-Salem State ditto

That's all been within roughly the last decade and a half. Add in the results of two economic downturns and the pressure of travel costs caused by being in a conference stretching from Baltimore to Daytona on schools where the profit margins were already supremely thin and you can see why the MEAC as a whole may have looked fine from the outside but, internally, a substantial number of the conference members have been recently or still are on very shaky financial ground.

WestCoastAggie
May 11th, 2021, 02:15 PM
The MEAC's current situation has been a long time coming and has very little to do with the relative strength of sports programs. I think the real problem is that there has been overall financial instability within some the league's members for a long time.

Delaware State was talking to the Big South as far back as 2004 in order to mitigate some of its post-9/11 travel costs
That was the same year that FAMU tried to jump to FBS but faceplanted, overextending itself financially and nearly bankrupting the school
SC State was so badly managed by its board that the state government seriously considered shutting the school down for two years and re-opening it as a juco
Norfolk State fired their president in 2013 for mismanagement amidst rumors of an NSU-Old Dominion merger

That's all been within roughly the last decade and a half. Add in the results of two economic downturns and the pressure of travel costs caused by being in a conference stretching from Baltimore to Daytona on schools where the profit margins were already supremely thin and you can see why the MEAC as a whole may have looked fine from the outside but, internally, a substantial number of the conference members have been recently or still are on very shaky financial ground.

This pretty much explains it.

Professor
May 11th, 2021, 02:26 PM
Great breakdown actually

acbearkat
May 11th, 2021, 02:40 PM

I have no idea why an HBCU school would be looking to jump to the FBS. It just wouldn't work for the school. Here in Texas, Lon Morris College, which was the oldest junior college in the state having started in 1854 (nine years after Baylor University in Waco), added football in 2009 went bankrupt and closed in 2012. Lon Morris was also private junior college (Methodist).

acbearkat
May 11th, 2021, 03:44 PM
That wasn't a major factor. Travel and time spent away from class was the major factor for both A&T and Hampton, according to their 'official' statements. If the FCS championship was a primary motivator, then why join the Big South? No Big South team is winning a natty any time soon; and the (football side of the) conference is just as unstable as the MEAC. The Big South offered reduced travel for the other sports; and better (conference power) ratings for women's basketball. A&T has a stronger regional and national brand than any other Big South school, save Hampton. They got a prize.

Sidebar: Hampton views the Big South as a springboard to possible CAA membership (delusional); and A&T sees it as a springboard to FBS.

FAMU and the SWAC came together as a relationship of mutual convenience. Their fanbase wanted to be in the SWAC; there were no schools in Georgia to alleviate travel costs; and they needed to cut their athletic budget. They were already behind by millions of dollars in expenditures; but to their credit they don't rely upon student fees as heavily as the mid-atlantic schools. Within the SWAC they have a better travel schedule, and the opportunity to seek other revenue streams. BCU, who'd been propositioned by other regional conferences in past years, didn't see a path forward with the MEAC and was forced to follow FAMU.

Where would North Carolina A&T go if they were to move to the FBS? The ACC wouldn't want them, the American Athletic Conference wouldn't want them, and neither would the Sun Belt, and they wouldn't be able to make it as an FBS independent. If North Carolina A&T thinks they're moving up to the FBS, the administration is absolutely delusional. It's not happening.

caribbeanhen
May 11th, 2021, 04:02 PM

are not all these colleges being managed by college boys?

Maybe i should apply for a job... retired sailor, no debt, 3 kids with college education with no debt..... first rule would be skip college and invest the money you just saved so I guess I just talked myself out of a job

NY Crusader 2010
May 11th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Where would North Carolina A&T go if they were to move to the FBS? The ACC wouldn't want them, the American Athletic Conference wouldn't want them, and neither would the Sun Belt, and they wouldn't be able to make it as an FBS independent. If North Carolina A&T thinks they're moving up to the FBS, the administration is absolutely delusional. It's not happening.

The Sun Belt is the only landing spot that a) make sense, b) be worth the jump and c) be a feasibly realistic option. But low-level FBS is already getting very over-saturated in the state of North Carolina with the recent transitions of Charlotte and App State. There's only so much room at the inn.

FAMU's attempt to move up turned into a complete dumpster fire and set the program back literally 20 years. And that occurred at a time when just about any warm body was able to move up to I-A and join a conference. Seems like there is starting to be at least a bit of a barrier to entry now, and that's not a bad thing.

walliver
May 12th, 2021, 08:34 AM
The Sun Belt is the only landing spot that a) make sense, b) be worth the jump and c) be a feasibly realistic option. But low-level FBS is already getting very over-saturated in the state of North Carolina with the recent transitions of Charlotte and App State. There's only so much room at the inn.

FAMU's attempt to move up turned into a complete dumpster fire and set the program back literally 20 years. And that occurred at a time when just about any warm body was able to move up to I-A and join a conference. Seems like there is starting to be at least a bit of a barrier to entry now, and that's not a bad thing.

FAMU's disaster was to a great extent a failure by people who didn't have a clue what they were doing. They actually had decent games with "name" programs lined up as well as a TV deal (with a channel that never got off the ground). Properly handled, a FBS transition would have created the only FBS HBCU which would have some national following in a fractured market. I was one of the few people on this board at the time who thought they might be successful - but they screwed it up by poor management.

WileECoyote06
May 12th, 2021, 10:19 AM

I have no idea about the 5Ws of this vision. To their credit, they have the foresight/vision to prepare just in case.

Anthony215
May 12th, 2021, 11:04 AM
I have no idea about the 5Ws of this vision. To their credit, they have the foresight/vision to prepare just in case.

With planning ahead I can't fault A&T for thinking ahead in the future. If they continue to grow the brand, sell the university and increase funding for BB & Football I don't see why they wouldn't entertain the idea of jumping up to FBS. They'd fit in with Charlotte (if not surpass them), ECU & App State and being an HBCU they'd also offer something different for recruits wanting the HBCU experience while competing at the highest level. Travel wise CUSA wouldn't be too bad as they'd slide into the east with ODU, Charlotte, Marshall, WKU & Middle Tennessee.

WestCoastAggie
May 12th, 2021, 02:00 PM
With planning ahead I can't fault A&T for thinking ahead in the future. If they continue to grow the brand, sell the university and increase funding for BB & Football I don't see why they wouldn't entertain the idea of jumping up to FBS. They'd fit in with Charlotte (if not surpass them), ECU & App State and being an HBCU they'd also offer something different for recruits wanting the HBCU experience while competing at the highest level. Travel wise CUSA wouldn't be too bad as they'd slide into the east with ODU, Charlotte, Marshall, WKU & Middle Tennessee.

We need a conference shift that leads to App, Charlotte, and ECU in the same conference if we go the FBS route.

Anthony215
May 12th, 2021, 02:17 PM
We need a conference shift that leads to App, Charlotte, and ECU in the same conference if we go the FBS route.

A Carolina/VA Conference at the FBS level would be amazing with Charlotte, App State, ECU, ODU, JMU, A&T, Liberty and throw in a few non FB programs

DFW HOYA
May 12th, 2021, 02:21 PM
A Carolina/VA Conference at the FBS level would be amazing with Charlotte, App State, ECU, ODU, JMU, A&T, Liberty and throw in a few non FB programs

Add Marshall and there's a group of eight of that could secure bowl bids.

aggie2039
May 12th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Add Marshall and there's a group of eight of that could secure bowl bids.

Dont forget Coastal Carolina and Georgia State would make for a nice addition too.

aggie2039
May 12th, 2021, 02:37 PM
https://hbcugameday.com/2021/05/11/inside-attempt-to-rebuild-the-meac/

With re-alignment a reality across the college athletics landscape, things can and are changing quickly. The source tells us that there could be mutual interest between a few current MEAC programs and the American East, which just lost Hartford as it moved to DIII.

Ideally, Howard, Del State and Morgan would join the American East.

The American East could sponsor football with current members that are playing in the CAA: Stony Brook, Maine, Albany, New Hampshire
Then the conf adds Monmouth as an associate member in football

American East Football would have 8 teams: Howard, Monmouth, Morgan, Del State, Stony Brook, Maine, Albany and New Hampshire

Anthony215
May 12th, 2021, 02:52 PM

With re-alignment a reality across the college athletics landscape, things can and are changing quickly. The source tells us that there could be mutual interest between a few current MEAC programs and the American East, which just lost Hartford as it moved to DIII.

The American East could sponsor football with current members that are playing in the CAA: Stony Brook, Maine, Albany, New Hampshire

American East Football would have 8 teams: Howard, Monmouth, Morgan, Del State, Stony Brook, Maine, Albany and New Hampshire

Why not Rhode Island or because their BB program is so strong they'd rather play in the CAA for FB while keeping their Olympic sports in the A-10?

Libertine
May 12th, 2021, 02:52 PM

Both Chicago State and the MEAC are in a tight spot when it comes to conference membership, but it seems to me that the MEAC adding Chicago State would be simply doubling down on what got the MEAC into this situation in the first place: high travel expenses and a school trying to manage its particular financial crisis.

Anthony215
May 12th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Both Chicago State and the MEAC are in a tight spot when it comes to conference membership, but it seems to me that the MEAC adding Chicago State would be simply doubling down on what got the MEAC into this situation in the first place: high travel expenses and a school trying to manage its particular financial crisis.

I rather the MEAC approach D2 regional programs like VSU, Bowie State or heck even Virginia Union about moving up before taking in Chicago State which has huge funding issues and would increase traveling costs for the remaining MEAC schools. Besides it's academic history Chicago State offers nothing for the conference. They won't bring the Chicago media because nobody in Chicago cares about CSU athletics lol.

aggie2039
May 12th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Why not Rhode Island or because their BB program is so strong they'd rather play in the CAA for FB while keeping their Olympic sports in the A-10?

Monmouth because they are out of the geographical footprint of the Big South. Rhode Island has a football home that is more geographically friendly than that of Monmouth.

Plus if Monmouth leaves it opens the door for Norfolk and NCCU to join the Big South :)

UAalum72
May 12th, 2021, 04:04 PM

If they want to join AE, the first thing to learn is that there’s no “n” in America East. After they join I’ll give them the rest of AE spelling and style manual.

WestCoastAggie
May 12th, 2021, 04:25 PM
If they want to join AE, the first thing to learn is that there’s no “n” in America East. After they join I’ll give them the rest of AE spelling and style manual.

I figured that. It threw me off when I read that.

WestCoastAggie
May 12th, 2021, 04:30 PM

Would the America East schools that play in the CAA want to join up with Del State, Howard, and Morgan State? Central Conn is also floating out here along with Marist (though non-scholly) & Monmouth.

And IMHO, Del State fits better in the NEC than the America East.

iBOsbu
May 12th, 2021, 05:22 PM
Would the America East schools that play in the CAA want to join up with Del State, Howard, and Morgan State? Central Conn is also floating out here along with Marist (though non-scholly) & Monmouth.

we can’t wait to replace conference games vs Delaware, JMU and Nova with Del State, Howard and Morgan xlolx

kidding aside, personally I wouldn’t mind Howard as all sports add to AE as long as they can park their football somewhere... even thought they are a private institution

NY Crusader 2010
May 13th, 2021, 06:05 AM

I posted an idea sort of like this in at least one other thread. It would make a lot of sense for a number of schools in CUSA and Sun Belt to sort of re-organize. The coastal and Texas schools should be in CUSA and then you could have the Appalachia and interior south schools, all of which are proudly "football first" play together in the same league. IMO, having MTSU, WKU, JMU, Liberty, App State, Georgia Southern and Marshall in the same league would be dynamite. You could throw A&T in that group.

ECU isn't moving down to play with those schools, though.

aceinthehole
May 13th, 2021, 07:52 AM

First, the AE has, at most, just 1 opening for a full member. I would think the only MEAC team they would consider would be Howard. Delaware State and Morgan State realistically have less chance than CCSU at a full invite. But even if Howard was extended an offer (unlikely), the AE isn't going to sponsor football and the Bison likely don't get an invite to CAA Football either.

Marist isn't at play for anything in realignments; but Monmouth (MAAC) and Robert Morris (Horizon) are likely looking to leave the Big South as soon as possible for a regional league for their football teams.

I think it is much more likely that the NEC would add Howard, Delaware State, and Morgan State as full members rather than America East. But the MEAC schools probably want to keep the HBCU-only MEAC alive as long as they can, and will look elsewhere only when their D-I survival is at risk

WileECoyote06
May 13th, 2021, 08:58 AM
First, the AE has, at most, just 1 opening for a full member. I would think the only MEAC team they would consider would be Howard. Delaware State and Morgan State realistically have less chance than CCSU at a full invite. But even if Howard was extended an offer (unlikely), the AE isn't going to sponsor football and the Bison likely don't get an invite to CAA Football either.

Marist isn't at play for anything in realignments; but Monmouth (MAAC) and Robert Morris (Horizon) are likely looking to leave the Big South as soon as possible for a regional league for their football teams.

I think it is much more likely that the NEC would add Howard, Delaware State, and Morgan State as full members rather than America East. But the MEAC schools probably want to keep the HBCU-only MEAC alive as long as they can, and will look elsewhere only when their D-I survival is at risk

Technically, the MEAC isn't HBCU-only. Monmouth, UAB, and Augusta are associate members in women's bowling and golf. The MEAC would welcome like-minded, and similarly profiled non-HBCU institutions in other sports.

WestCoastAggie
May 13th, 2021, 09:33 AM
Technically, the MEAC isn't HBCU-only. Monmouth, UAB, and Augusta are associate members in women's bowling and golf. The MEAC would welcome like-minded, and similarly profiled non-HBCU institutions in other sports.
That Celebration Bowl is a red herring, however.

dgtw
May 13th, 2021, 11:21 AM

An article I read said the MEAC isn’t too interested in Chicago State. Speaking of which, I haven’t found anything else about this on line deal they supposedly have beyond the one article that was posted on here a few weeks ago.

I think A&T might make it as an independent. They have close indies in UMASS, UCONN, and Liberty. Also Army and NMSU. There are several others in the SBC, CUSA, and MAC they could play on a semi regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony215
May 13th, 2021, 11:36 AM
An article I read said the MEAC isn’t too interested in Chicago State. Speaking of which, I haven’t found anything else about this on line deal they supposedly have beyond the one article that was posted on here a few weeks ago.

I think A&T might make it as an independent. They have close indies in UMASS, UCONN, and Liberty. Also Army and NMSU. There are several others in the SBC, CUSA, and MAC they could play on a semi regular basis.

The issue with A&T going FBS Independent is that they'd be restricted to only 1 FCS game yearly or at the most 2 as well as no television deal. At least in a FBS conference they share Bowl Game revenue, have a television deal and only need to fill out their schedule with 3-4 OOC games. While I'm sure Liberty, UMass & UCONN would all agree to yearly series, finding 9 other games yearly could be a hassle. I suppose they could still schedule NCCU as their annual homecoming game but outside of the Liberty, UCONN, UMass there's still 8 games left to fill the schedule yearly.

WestCoastAggie
May 13th, 2021, 11:46 AM

A&T won't go Indy for FBS. That move almost killed off FAMU athletics and it took them over a decade to get right and they still are shaking off affects from that ill-fated move.

We'll have to be invited to a conference to make it work AND we'll need our future Athletics Capital Campaign have the same success as our university capital campaign before any FBS move comes to fruition.

As an aside, the university now has $153 million dollars in multiple endowments now and we're now holders of the 10th largest endowment in NC and largest public HBCU endowment.

acbearkat
May 13th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Would North Carolina A&T be successful as an FBS independent? I don't believe they would be. UMass and UConn need to do what Idaho did and drop down to the FCS. They will never be successful as FBS independents. There are too may FBS schools to begin with. I think the number is 130. Most schools who've made the jump to the FBS haven't succeeded one bit. Troy and Appalachian State are rare exceptions to the rule. Texas State has been terrible in football since they left the Southland and joined the Sun Belt, and we'll see long term about Coastal Carolina. The schools that make the jump to the FBS aren't getting millions of dollars in TV contracts, either. The smaller conferences don't get the money the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac-12, and ACC do, other than maybe the American, from TV contracts. The Pac-12 is getting a new commissioner some time later this year as Larry Scott will be gone I believe in June.

DFW HOYA
May 13th, 2021, 12:08 PM
The Pac-12 is getting a new commissioner some time later this year as Larry Scott will be gone I believe in June.

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1392888679656427521