PDA

View Full Version : Question: Do you support your conference mates/rivals in their FCS endeavors

POD Knows
May 10th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Outside of supporting your own team in their respective conference, do you cheer on or support your conference foes/mates in their efforts throughout the year in FCS football.

Here is my answer, hell no.

If you do support them, why is that? I am genuinely curious because regardless of the sport, whether it be college sports, pros or what have you, I have never felt the need to support a conference mate in anything they do.

GoBlueHens83
May 10th, 2021, 12:04 PM
It depends.

I will support any FCS team, even conference mates, against FBS teams because winning makes the FCS stronger as a whole.

I will support CAA teams in the playoffs.

With the exception of Villanova, they can lose every game.

lionsrking2
May 10th, 2021, 12:06 PM
I always pull for Southland Conference schools when they're playing out of conference. Hell, Sam Houston is leaving our league and I've been pulling for them every week of the playoffs.

POD Knows
May 10th, 2021, 12:09 PM
It depends.

I will support any FCS team, even conference mates, against FBS teams because winning makes the FCS stronger as a whole.

With the exception of Villanova, they can lose every game.Yea, the more I think about it there are a few teams in the MVFC that I am indifferent about but UNI, UND, SDSU can suck a high hard one, I don't even support these guys when they play FBS teams. I should have put more options in the poll.

Laker
May 10th, 2021, 12:11 PM
For me it goes back to high school. The 212 Conference had 8 teams along that highway. I knew a lot of people from the other towns through FFA, summer jobs, church, relatives........... When district playoffs came there were 7 other schools included in District 12. Those included some bigger towns like Hutchinson & Glencoe since there was only one class. So in that case I would usually pull for conference teams. No one sat there and chanted "212, 212, 212" but most conference players felt the same way.

I also have had the satisfaction of watching a particular conference player or coach who was a complete dick getting their just deserves. So it depends.

JSUSoutherner
May 10th, 2021, 12:20 PM
I'd say Chuck Fattanooga but they haven't been worthy of being our rival for 5 years.

Kennesaw is a solid candidate but I honestly can't hate them too much because I have a boat load of friends and even my brother there right now.

UNA is weird because they're technically a rival but it's seems to be more of a *we want to be better than each other but don't really hate each other* type of deal. Which may change now that they're a full fledged D1 school.

But to the question posed by the thread, I can't really see an instance where I would cheer for a rival unless I had a personal connection to them or they need to beat another school I dislike which would in turn make JSU look better.

Chattanooga taught me that having a rival isn't as much fun if your rival sucks all the time so there is value in wanting them to not be absolute garbage.

As far as the OVC is concerned. All of them could fold tomorrow for all I care. Would have given JSU more schedule slots to fill with teams of worth.

Serpentor
May 10th, 2021, 12:23 PM
I always pull for Southland Conference schools when they're playing out of conference. Hell, Sam Houston is leaving our league and I've been pulling for them every week of the playoffs.

I always wished my fellow SLC teams well in playoffs, as long as we didn't have to play them. I felt happy for our conference when SELA, Nicholls and McNeese made the post-season.

Gil Dobie
May 10th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Depends, if it's not UND or the Minnesota Vikings, I'm okay with other conference teams winning.

acbearkat
May 10th, 2021, 12:38 PM
I'd say Chuck Fattanooga but they haven't been worthy of being our rival for 5 years.

Kennesaw is a solid candidate but I honestly can't hate them too much because I have a boat load of friends and even my brother there right now.

UNA is weird because they're technically a rival but it's seems to be more of a *we want to be better than each other but don't really hate each other* type of deal. Which may change now that they're a full fledged D1 school.

But to the question posed by the thread, I can't really see an instance where I would cheer for a rival unless I had a personal connection to them or they need to beat another school I dislike which would in turn make JSU look better.

Chattanooga taught me that having a rival isn't as much fun if your rival sucks all the time so there is value in wanting them to not be absolute garbage.

As far as the OVC is concerned. All of them could fold tomorrow for all I care. Would have given JSU more schedule slots to fill with teams of worth.

Lately, we've been dominating SFA having won nine in a row against them, with several of those games being blowouts. Lamar needs to get its act together in a hurry because Sam needs another in-state rival, and Lamar is the closest that we can get, considering the Lamar campus is located in Beaumont and there is plenty of talent in the Golden Triangle, but Lamar opted to go with a triple option coach for their latest head football coach. If Lamar has any desire to get where Sam is, they have to dump their current head coach, and get someone who will have an offense recruits will want to play in. It will be a while before Tarleton State becomes adjusted to Division I football, so they won't be much of an issue over the next few years.

ST_Lawson
May 10th, 2021, 01:16 PM
It depends.

This is pretty much my opinion for MVFC teams. I'll root for conference mates in nearly all OOC games, especially against FBS teams.
In-conference games, whomever will improve the standing of my Leathernecks or our chances to get into the playoffs. Lately it hasn't really mattered, but there have been times in the past when it has.
In the playoffs, I'll cheer for MVFC teams in most situations. Example of not doing so: say (hypothetically) WIU was in the playoffs and our next round game was against the winner of, say NDSU and Eastern Washington. If I felt that I liked our chances against EWU than having to play NDSU (for possibly the second time that season), then I'd root against the Bison in that case (but I'd imagine most of us here would root for whichever scenario would give our team the best chance of advancing in that situation).

SDFS
May 10th, 2021, 01:33 PM
I will support any FCS team, even conference mates, against FBS teams because winning makes the FCS stronger as a whole. I will support MVFC, SL and NCHC teams in the playoffs (conference money per win) with the exception of NDSU and Gophers and one small clause to that exception - If I have a family member or friend's kids playing for NDSU. I will cheer for them in all games other than the UND.

Daytripper
May 10th, 2021, 01:35 PM

This. I even pull for SFA in the basketball tourney.

Mocs123
May 10th, 2021, 01:56 PM
I always pull for fellow SoCon schools in OOC games as it helps the conference SOS.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully we fix that for you in '24 when we play again.

TheRevSFA
May 10th, 2021, 02:05 PM
It depends...do I really want to see Sam win a Natty? Hell no..

But they also deserve more respect than they've gotten. Overall, with the exception of Nicholls....sure

acbearkat
May 10th, 2021, 02:41 PM
It depends...do I really want to see Sam win a Natty? Hell no..

But they also deserve more respect than they've gotten. Overall, with the exception of Nicholls....sure

You're much more objective than the poster who posted a dumb post that on SFA Sawmill that someone on Katfans found and posted to Katfans about our football program. I live in SFA's backyard (Lufkin). In fact, I'll be on the SFA campus Friday night for a cousin's high school graduation, and then I'll be back in Nacogdoches Monday for a psychiatrist's appointment.

JSUSoutherner
May 10th, 2021, 02:45 PM
I always pull for fellow SoCon schools in OOC games as it helps the conference SOS.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully we fix that for you in '24 when we play again.

Don't worry, you don't need to get better. Grass is making sure we come to your level.

caribbeanhen
May 10th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Outside of supporting your own team in their respective conference, do you cheer on or support your conference foes/mates in their efforts throughout the year in FCS football.

Here is my answer, hell.

Then why in tarnation are you renting an Airbnb in Brookings, South Dakota?

POD Knows
May 10th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Then why in tarnation are you renting an Airbnb in Brookings, South Dakota?:DBecause the weather is nicer than Fargo. Also, I had to look up Airbnb, I didn't have a clue what that was. I actually spend a fair amount of time in Brookings, some business associates of mine are yuge Jacks fans, they gave me a tour of their new IPF and the stadium remodel, and they hate NDSU with a passion and wouldn't vote for NDSU if they were playing Alabama for a Natty. They get me and my attitude towards SDSU because it is reciprocal in a sort of friendly way.

EKU05
May 10th, 2021, 03:03 PM
I would say that I generally do, but not in any hardcore fashion. That may change a little bit as we try to get this ASUN football thing off the ground. I think we all have a vested interest in making the leap of faith we took seem like a good idea.

Gangtackle11
May 10th, 2021, 03:20 PM
It depends.

Haha......You finally got one....enjoy the spring.....we’ll see ya in November where history hasn’t been so kind to the Blue Chicks!! xpeacex

Panther88
May 10th, 2021, 03:31 PM
OOC, I want our conference members to smash everyone in every sport possible so I enthusiastically root for their success.

With the neighboring SLC in our SWAC footprint, I decently root for SHSU success OOC, especially this year since I have 1st Team all-SLC dna playing for them w/ one more year of eligibility and I've spoken to 2 others on this year's squad since they were HSers.

Mfergy4
May 10th, 2021, 03:40 PM
It depends.

This is pretty much my opinion for MVFC teams. I'll root for conference mates in nearly all OOC games, especially against FBS teams.
In-conference games, whomever will improve the standing of my Leathernecks or our chances to get into the playoffs. Lately it hasn't really mattered, but there have been times in the past when it has.
In the playoffs, I'll cheer for MVFC teams in most situations. Example of not doing so: say (hypothetically) WIU was in the playoffs and our next round game was against the winner of, say NDSU and Eastern Washington. If I felt that I liked our chances against EWU than having to play NDSU (for possibly the second time that season), then I'd root against the Bison in that case (but I'd imagine most of us here would root for whichever scenario would give our team the best chance of advancing in that situation).
I will back any MVFC team in the play-offs. All are usually pretty cool rivals, there is 10% that piss off any fan, but you gotta look past them as the on a whole the other teams fan are just like you. Want their team to win and want to have great time watching. Good Rivals and conference competition makes for better teams in the play-offs.
In the case here, with SDSU, neither team would be where they are at with out the other. Goes way back to when they both teamed up to go DI. Tried to Get UND, St Cloud, and Mankato to join us but they ballyhooed. Now look... UND is a want to be DI team, and ST Cloud and Mankato are struggling in DII play. Yes, I would root for UND should they ever get back in the play-offs unless they are play mying Bison. Why, you ask, because our motto has always been.. "Bring on the Competition". Tough competition makes for a better team. Look at our FBS wins only show we do not shy away from tough competition.

caribbeanhen
May 10th, 2021, 03:58 PM
It depends.

I have always supported the CAA in the playoffs

Richmond 2008

even Villanova in 2009 and JMU in 2016

until this past Saturday when I was pulling for Sam Houston State

Daytripper
May 10th, 2021, 04:17 PM

Richmond 2008

Good man!

BEAR
May 10th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Eh...I support 'em....but I'm also realistic. So I vote that way. Learned that from watching two boys play high school football against teams that won state titles over and over again against them. xlolx

Laker
May 10th, 2021, 05:01 PM
UND is a want to be DI team, and ST Cloud and Mankato are struggling in DII play.

Hmmm. Well, St Cloud dropped football and added men's soccer so you got that right. I guess you haven't looked at MSU's record for well over a decade. I can post it for you if you haven't.

ysubigred
May 10th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Usually do.. I do get a kick out of PUNI's choke job on an annual basis in the playoffs.. they're one team besides Delaware that has YSU's number no matter how good YSU was/is [emoji25]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KPSUL
May 10th, 2021, 07:23 PM
Yep, I treat'em like brothers. I'll criticize them and even fight once in a while but I don't like anyone else slighting or attacking them.

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 10th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Yep, I treat'em like brothers. I'll criticize them and even fight once in a while but I don't like anyone else slighting or attacking them.

Have to admit it was hard to root for you guys when you owned us and were making the playoffs year after year with the worse being 2013 when you beat us at your place to make the playoffs then we still win the league title and you come to our place and beat us again. That pain lasted for awhilexnodx
Certainly was rooting for the Hens and the Dukies this past weekend.

mmiller_34
May 10th, 2021, 08:33 PM
My answer is Yes.

Reasoning: if conference mates continue to have strong playoff runs the MVFC will continue to earn more respect.

Exception to the rule: USD is never allowed to go past 2nd round.

McNeese72
May 10th, 2021, 08:37 PM

Same here.

Doc

caribbeanhen
May 10th, 2021, 08:57 PM
OOC, I want our conference members to smash everyone in every sport possible so I enthusiastically root for their success.

With the neighboring SLC in our SWAC footprint, I decently root for SHSU success OOC, especially this year since I have 1st Team all-SLC dna playing for them w/ one more year of eligibility and I've spoken to 2 others on this year's squad since they were HSers.

Preppy Schmid ?

POD Knows
May 10th, 2021, 09:44 PM
My answer is Yes.

Reasoning: if conference mates continue to have strong playoff runs the MVFC will continue to earn more respect.

Exception to the rule: USD is never allowed to go past 2nd round.
I call BS. You mean to tell me you were rooting for NDSU all those times in Frisco. Not buying it.

bonarae
May 11th, 2021, 05:57 AM
Whenever any FCS team plays big-time OOC games (which the Ivies do not really do these days xsighx and can be cross-country FCS-FCS, former rivalry, or "money" games), I cheer for, of course, the FCS team hoping to scalp their FBS opponent (if it's FCS-FBS.) When it's FCS-FCS, I usually cheer for the higher-ranked team...

Mfergy4
May 11th, 2021, 08:59 AM
Hmmm. Well, St Cloud dropped football and added men's soccer so you got that right. I guess you haven't looked at MSU's record for well over a decade. I can post it for you if you haven't.

Fill me in as you have peaked my interest...how has Mankato done?

Mocs123
May 11th, 2021, 09:20 AM
Don't worry, you don't need to get better. Grass is making sure we come to your level.

If Grass is really as bad as JSU fans think he is, he'll get exposed in the much more competitive A-Sun. Both JSU and KSU have been pretty dominate in their respective leagues so things will get a little tougher for both programs going forward, though I think the A-Sun will be a multiple playoff bid team with JSU, KSU, and UCA all "expected" to make the playoffs.

ST_Lawson
May 11th, 2021, 09:32 AM

Well, it's been over a decade since they had a losing season and the last time they lost a regular season game was in October 2016. I think they're doing pretty well.
Both of their basketball teams have been quite good also.

JSUSoutherner
May 11th, 2021, 10:01 AM
If Grass is really as bad as JSU fans think he is, he'll get exposed in the much more competitive A-Sun. Both JSU and KSU have been pretty dominate in their respective leagues so things will get a little tougher for both programs going forward, though I think the A-Sun will be a multiple playoff bid team with JSU, KSU, and UCA all "expected" to make the playoffs.

The problem is that Grass isn't a bad coach. I don't know that he's bad enough to get us to be the ASUN doormat.

I honestly think we're doomed to this coach who peaked in 2015 but isn't bad enough to fire.

We're basically the FCS equivalent of Auburn and Malzahn.

mmiller_34
May 11th, 2021, 10:22 AM
I call BS. You mean to tell me you were rooting for NDSU all those times in Frisco. Not buying it.

Truthfully I was. The only time I wasn't was when NDSU was playing Illinois State in the championship game. In that case I was rooting for ISU(r).

A rising tide raises all boats.

Laker
May 11th, 2021, 10:49 AM
Since 2008 when Coach Hoffner arrived:

08 9-3 first round playoffs
09 10-1 first round playoffs
10 6-5
11 9-3
12 13-1 lost in semis to champion Valdosta
13 11-1 second round
14 14-1 national runnerup
15 10-2 first round
16 8-3
17 13-1 lost in quarters to champion TX-Commerce
18 13-1 lost in semis
19 14-1 national runnerup

Laker
May 11th, 2021, 10:51 AM

10 6-5
11 9-3
13 11-1 second round
15 10-2 first round
16 8-3
18 13-1 lost in semis

Hammerhead
May 11th, 2021, 11:00 AM
I voted depends since I would root for most conference mates except for SDSU, UNI, and UND.

acbearkat
May 11th, 2021, 11:00 AM
The problem is that Grass isn't a bad coach. I don't know that he's bad enough to get us to be the ASUN doormat.

I honestly think we're doomed to this coach who peaked in 2015 but isn't bad enough to fire.

We're basically the FCS equivalent of Auburn and Malzahn.

If Grass wants to get Jacksonville State up to where they are competing year in and year out for national championships, he'll have to do what K.C. Keeler did and change how things are done there, and have his teams be more disciplined. Jacksonville State has the recruiting base to be a team that can be a national championship contender year in and year out, but you have to have the right head coach and staff in order to pull that off. Go look at Texas, and why Texas hasn't been where they were under the heyday of Mack Brown. Charlie Strong was a terrible hire, and was exposed at Texas as being a lousy head coach, and he made bad staff hires. Tom Herman was a better head coach, made bad staff hires, and was run out of town by the boosters. The past two recruiting cycles were two the best recruiting cycles for offensive lineman in Texas in some time, and Texas whiffed big time. The Longhorns only signed two offensive lineman in this last recruiting class, and neither of them were blue-chip recruits.

Tom Herman was fired for a number of issues. It wasn't just the win-loss record. He was fired more for how he handled things off the field, especially the Eyes of Texas situation. The boosters were not happy with how that was handled, and after the loss to Oklahoma in Dallas, the boosters started clamoring for a change. Unlike Mack Brown, who went out of his way to make the boosters happy, Herman didn't do that, and the boosters at Texas are powerful enough to get a head coach fired. Ultimately, at schools such as Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn and other major FBS schools, it's rarely the athletic director's call on when the head football coach is fired. The boosters and fan support ultimately determine that.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2021, 11:10 AM
I voted depends since I would root for most conference mates except for SDSU, UNI, and UND.I didn't really know how to answer my own question, I would absolutely not root for those three you mentioned, and if any other MVFC team got in there, I probably wouldn't root for them but really wouldn't care how the game turned out.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2021, 11:17 AM
Truthfully I was. The only time I wasn't was when NDSU was playing Illinois State in the championship game. In that case I was rooting for ISU(r).

A rising tide raises all boats.See, this makes no sense to me, does a Boston Red Sox fan root for the Yankees, a Raider fan root for the Chiefs, a Michigan fan vote for Ohio State, an Auburn fan vote for Bama and I get that conference strength comes into play for maybe a spot or two more teams for the playoffs but I don't want any MVFC teams in the playoffs. I do want the conference to be competitive but I am not going to support any of you in any of your efforts. Also, like I said early, none, not one, of the SDSU fans I know personally were hoping the Bison would win Natty's. I guess none of those guys are posters on here. :D

I did root for SDSU over the Gophers because my dislike of the stupid Gophers knows no bounds.

KPSUL
May 11th, 2021, 11:24 AM
Have to admit it was hard to root for you guys when you owned us and were making the playoffs year after year with the worse being 2013 when you beat us at your place to make the playoffs then we still win the league title and you come to our place and beat us again. That pain lasted for awhilexnodx
Certainly was rooting for the Hens and the Dukies this past weekend.

I definitely get that exception. The talent level of Maine, and their success against everyone else except UNH, would make you think the series would be close to even over the past 10 or so years. Sometimes there is no understanding why one team owns another over a long period of time. Ask the Delaware fans about Villanova. You do have the big win in Orono, 2018, that launched a big season for you and sunk one for UNH. That should make up for several UNH wins except maybe the 2013 playoff game.

mmiller_34
May 11th, 2021, 11:40 AM
See, this makes no sense to me, does a Boston Red Sox fan root for the Yankees, a Raider fan root for the Chiefs, a Michigan fan vote for Ohio State, an Auburn fan vote for Bama and I get that conference strength comes into play for maybe a spot or two more teams for the playoffs but I don't want any MVFC teams in the playoffs. I do want the conference to be competitive but I am not going to support any of you in any of your efforts. Also, like I said early, none, not one, of the SDSU fans I know personally were hoping the Bison would win Natty's. I guess none of those guys are posters on here. :D

I did root for SDSU over the Gophers because my dislike of the stupid Gophers knows no bounds.

SDSU would not be the #1 seed if the MVFC didn't hold the national recognition it does, which includes multiple teams with playoff success.

Daytripper
May 11th, 2021, 11:47 AM
See, this makes no sense to me, does a Boston Red Sox fan root for the Yankees, a Raider fan root for the Chiefs, a Michigan fan vote for Ohio State, an Auburn fan vote for Bama and I get that conference strength comes into play for maybe a spot or two more teams for the playoffs but I don't want any MVFC teams in the playoffs. I do want the conference to be competitive but I am not going to support any of you in any of your efforts. Also, like I said early, none, not one, of the SDSU fans I know personally were hoping the Bison would win Natty's. I guess none of those guys are posters on here. :D

Some of those comparisons don't work. In professional sports all divisions are relatively equal, by which I mean that playoff seedings are not dependent on how the different divisions are perceived by a committee. Also, FCS football is, as we all know, treated as an afterthought by 95% of the country. It's a battle within our little world for notoriety and respect. Much of that comes with perceived strength of conference.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2021, 11:50 AM
SDSU would not be the #1 seed if the MVFC didn't hold the national recognition it does, which includes multiple teams with playoff success.Jacksonville ****ing State was the #1 seed in 2015 from the OVC.

dgtw
May 11th, 2021, 11:52 AM

I don’t have anything against Chattanooga. I like the school and the city. But we don’t play them often enough to be a real rival.

I grew up in Florence so I have a soft spot for UNA.

I used to like to see OVC teams do well OOC but I stopped caring about them a few weeks ago.

If the ASUN ever gets going in football I will have to see if any actual rivals develop. Never had a feel of a rival in the OVC. I will probably cheer for them OOC but won’t get overly excited when they win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
May 11th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Some of those comparisons don't work. In professional sports all divisions are relatively equal, by which I mean that playoff seedings are not dependent on how the different divisions are perceived by a committee. Also, FCS football is, as we all know, treated as an afterthought by 95% of the country. It's a battle within our little world for notoriety and respect. Much of that comes with perceived strength of conference.I get that, and I referenced that in my post with respect to conference strength and what that involves, sorry, simply am not going to wish good will on UNI, SDSU or UND, can't do it, isn't in my DNA. Probably a character flaw of some kind, don't know but it is incurable.

BTW, beat SDSU by 50 and shut their pie holes. xnodx

Daytripper
May 11th, 2021, 12:11 PM
I get that, and I referenced that in my post with respect to conference strength and what that involves, sorry, simply am not going to wish good will on UNI, SDSU or UND, can't do it, isn't in my DNA. Probably a character flaw of some kind, don't know but it is incurable.

BTW, beat SDSU by 50 and shut their pie holes. xnodx

THAT is the hope.

mmiller_34
May 11th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Jacksonville ****ing State was the #1 seed in 2015 from the OVC.

Yeah. And they were perfect against FCS teams + an OT loss to Auburn. SDSU is a #1 with a loss to North Dakota.... and two escape wins vs Youngstown State & Northern Iowa...

JSUSoutherner
May 11th, 2021, 01:08 PM
Jacksonville ****ing State was the #1 seed in 2015 from the OVC.

Oh blow me, we were justified in that seed. We were 13-1 and won our semifinal game by 52 points going into Frisco. The only misstep was not winning the title game.

If Grass wants to get Jacksonville State up to where they are competing year in and year out for national championships, he'll have to do what K.C. Keeler did and change how things are done there, and have his teams be more disciplined. Jacksonville State has the recruiting base to be a team that can be a national championship contender year in and year out, but you have to have the right head coach and staff in order to pull that off. Go look at Texas, and why Texas hasn't been where they were under the heyday of Mack Brown. Charlie Strong was a terrible hire, and was exposed at Texas as being a lousy head coach, and he made bad staff hires. Tom Herman was a better head coach, made bad staff hires, and was run out of town by the boosters. The past two recruiting cycles were two the best recruiting cycles for offensive lineman in Texas in some time, and Texas whiffed big time. The Longhorns only signed two offensive lineman in this last recruiting class, and neither of them were blue-chip recruits.

Tom Herman was fired for a number of issues. It wasn't just the win-loss record. He was fired more for how he handled things off the field, especially the Eyes of Texas situation. The boosters were not happy with how that was handled, and after the loss to Oklahoma in Dallas, the boosters started clamoring for a change. Unlike Mack Brown, who went out of his way to make the boosters happy, Herman didn't do that, and the boosters at Texas are powerful enough to get a head coach fired. Ultimately, at schools such as Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn and other major FBS schools, it's rarely the athletic director's call on when the head football coach is fired. The boosters and fan support ultimately determine that.

You're right. But it's been 5 years. If he was going to change he would have done it by now.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Oh blow me, we were justified in that seed. We were 13-1 and won our semifinal game by 52 points going into Frisco. The only misstep was not winning the title game.

You're right. But it's been 5 years. If he was going to change he would have done it by now.I didn't say you weren't, I was countering the "theory" that that conference strength is not the end all, be all for seeding.

GoBlueHens83
May 11th, 2021, 03:08 PM

Richmond 2008

To be completely honest, I was happy for Villanova when they won the NC.

caribbeanhen
May 11th, 2021, 03:18 PM
To be completely honest, I was happy for Villanova when they won the NC.

That was a fun team to watch, the baseball player was a stud! Cape May,NJ

The choked the next year when they lost at E Washington because it would of been a Delaware Nova final and we would of won...

ming01
May 11th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Yes, except Sdsu and Und.

caribbeanhen
May 11th, 2021, 03:22 PM
I definitely get that exception. The talent level of Maine, and their success against everyone else except UNH, would make you think the series would be close to even over the past 10 or so years. Sometimes there is no understanding why one team owns another over a long period of time. Ask the Delaware fans about Villanova. You do have the big win in Orono, 2018, that launched a big season for you and sunk one for UNH. That should make up for several UNH wins except maybe the 2013 playoff game.

I even pull for UNH and Maine in the playoffs....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 11th, 2021, 03:34 PM
Absolutely! I've attended two games at Colgate, including the '18 playoff game against JMU, to support a fellow PL member. The only school I really can't bring myself to root for is Lafayette. But that's understandable.....xnodx

TheKingpin28
May 11th, 2021, 03:48 PM
If WIU wins a game against SDSU, GFCC, UNI, you can bet I will support that. But I will never just outright support those 3 schools. I can be happy that they beat an FBS team or JMU/EWU/etc... but never support that.

ntxgamecock
May 11th, 2021, 04:00 PM

Being from Alabama, I grew up an Auburn fan (always liked the underdog) in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. I’ve always kind of pulled for both when it wasn’t the iron bowl, but I married a Bama fan in ‘91. She was really a football fan, but her grandfather played at Bama. Longer story-short, we moved to Texas in ‘2000 and I had to listen to “Big XII this” and “Big XII that” and “The Red River Shootout is the greatest rivalry game” crap. Most Saturdays you can’t even find a UT or OU game on the radio around here. In Alabama, every game can be found on multiple radio stations in most markets. The Iron Bowl doesn’t shut down the state. It just means that when you walk into a business, they will have the game on the radio IF they don’t have it on a TV somewhere. It’s not even close. I found that I started rooting for even Florida and LSU to do well just to spite the (mostly arrogant UT) Big XII fans.

I have been shunned by my friends and family back home who say it isn’t right to pull for the other team (or teams), but while I’ve never wished ill will on the rival team, I now openly root for the team that has the best opportunity to win a championship. Was a huge Bama fan for 59:59 of the 2013 Iron Bowl, but quickly swapped sidelines to pull for Auburn to finish strong after the kick six. It’s been pretty fun being an SEC fan the last several years. Plus, being as Dabo is a Bama product, Clemson winning is almost a consolation prize.

As for FCS, I haven’t felt the need to pull for the other OVC teams except in the bball tourney. Kind of have a bit of a soft spot for Chatt as my first job was there out of school, wife went to Samford, so I’ve supported them. I’ve even kind of pulled for Troy State after they moved up to FBS, but if they’re ever willing to play us again, Whup ‘em!

Laker
May 11th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Being from Alabama, I grew up an Auburn fan (always liked the underdog) in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. I’ve always kind of pulled for both when it wasn’t the iron bowl, but I married a Bama fan in ‘91. She was really a football fan, but her grandfather played at Bama.

I have cousins on one side who are Bama fans, and on the other side of the relation are Auburn fans. They luckily are never in the same place at the same time. Even the old ladies are very hard core.

JSUSoutherner
May 11th, 2021, 04:09 PM
I have cousins on one side who are Bama fans.
I hope they're not married.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2021, 04:13 PM
Being from Alabama, I grew up an Auburn fan (always liked the underdog) in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. I’ve always kind of pulled for both when it wasn’t the iron bowl, but I married a Bama fan in ‘91. She was really a football fan, but her grandfather played at Bama. Longer story-short, we moved to Texas in ‘2000 and I had to listen to “Big XII this” and “Big XII that” and “The Red River Shootout is the greatest rivalry game” crap. Most Saturdays you can’t even find a UT or OU game on the radio around here. In Alabama, every game can be found on multiple radio stations in most markets. The Iron Bowl doesn’t shut down the state. It just means that when you walk into a business, they will have the game on the radio IF they don’t have it on a TV somewhere. It’s not even close. I found that I started rooting for even Florida and LSU to do well just to spite the (mostly arrogant UT) Big XII fans.

I have been shunned by my friends and family back home who say it isn’t right to pull for the other team (or teams), but while I’ve never wished ill will on the rival team, I now openly root for the team that has the best opportunity to win a championship. Was a huge Bama fan for 59:59 of the 2013 Iron Bowl, but quickly swapped sidelines to pull for Auburn to finish strong after the kick six. It’s been pretty fun being an SEC fan the last several years. Plus, being as Dabo is a Bama product, Clemson winning is almost a consolation prize.

As for FCS, I haven’t felt the need to pull for the other OVC teams except in the bball tourney. Kind of have a bit of a soft spot for Chatt as my first job was there out of school, wife went to Samford, so I’ve supported them. I’ve even kind of pulled for Troy State after they moved up to FBS, but if they’re ever willing to play us again, Whup ‘em!

Just for reference, I had a son that actually went to the University of North Dakota, if there was a need to start up the bulldozers to push that "college" up to Winnipeg, Manitoba where it belongs, I would volunteer my time and effort to assist in the process.

ST_Lawson
May 11th, 2021, 09:29 PM
That was a fun team to watch, the baseball player was a stud! Cape May,NJ

As a Cubs fan, I'll never forget what he did for us in 2016: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/world-series-2016-cubs-matt-szczur-bat-anthony-rizzo-addison-russell-underwear-jason-heyward-slump/474uymu6mxa10vmgplagxrt6

caribbeanhen
May 11th, 2021, 09:52 PM
As a Cubs fan, I'll never forget what he did for us in 2016: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/world-series-2016-cubs-matt-szczur-bat-anthony-rizzo-addison-russell-underwear-jason-heyward-slump/474uymu6mxa10vmgplagxrt6

Yep, he is an A plus person

Mfergy4
May 12th, 2021, 08:01 AM

10 6-5
11 9-3
13 11-1 second round
15 10-2 first round
16 8-3
18 13-1 lost in semis

Okay, that is impressive. I stand corrected, and my apologies for being uniformed. Got do better home work.

Laker
May 12th, 2021, 08:22 AM
Okay, that is impressive. I stand corrected, and my apologies for being uniformed. Got do better home work.

xthumbsupx

ElCid
May 12th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Sure. It's all depends on the opponent.

I love my Dogs and want them to always win. When they play Furman (who sucks BTW), or VMI, or Wofford, I want them to obviously beat them, and even bury them.

I even support VMI more than other conf teams for conf games, for obvious reasons. Unless it would impact our standing of course.

When any SOCON team plays an OOC game including the playoffs, I will always cheer them on...even Furman (who sucks BTW).

And when any FCS team plays an FBS team I will cheer them on in hope of a scalp. Even Furman (who, well, you know).

It's all about how my circle of support grows and adapts depending on the opponent.

CockyGeek
May 13th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Against FBS teams, maybe, but not really any time else. No need to have other teams look more appealing when you're competing for the same recruits sometimes.

RabidRabbit
May 13th, 2021, 01:36 PM
I call BS. You mean to tell me you were rooting for NDSU all those times in Frisco. Not buying it.I have been to several FCS championship games since moving to DFW area. If it can't be the Rabbits, Who better than our best friendemy? Love em/hate em, but they've been a great partner in making the DI transition a success. Look forward to shaking off their overwhelming bizon hide and enjoy success in own right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

POD Knows
May 13th, 2021, 05:35 PM
I have been to several FCS championship games since moving to DFW area. If it can't be the Rabbits, Who better than our best friendemy? Love em/hate em, but they've been a great partner in making the DI transition a success. Look forward to shaking off their overwhelming bizon hide and enjoy success in own right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TapatalkBS, not buying it, too easy to say that now, I know lots of SDSU fans, none of them, not one, supported NDSU in the playoffs or Frisco, your post now, after the fact and after you are now there, is meaningless.

Puddin Tane
May 13th, 2021, 06:30 PM
when we dropped football, I became a mcneese football fan. Was hard at first, but got easier after a while. They are the closest to LU....and have casinos, the horse track is about halfway between us, and you can buy hard liquor in a 7-11!

anyways, I have a very hard time rooting for sfa in any sport.

POD Knows
May 13th, 2021, 06:42 PM
I am still waiting for the first UND fan to state that they were voting for the Bison in their quest in FCS football, I love all these virtue signalers lying through their teeth on here, posing, trying to be magnanimous. Give it rest, there is no real Bison fan or SDSU fan that root for each other in their football endeavors, no freaking way. Am I projecting, nope, just calling out posers.

You Bison guys that are rah, rah, rah, MVFC, please post your pics of your gameday root fest for SDSU, I will wait.

Carolina010
May 13th, 2021, 08:47 PM
Don’t post much on here mainly just lurk but there is no way in he.ll that you will catch me cheering the bison in any sport let alone football. I agree with pod no self respecting jacks fan can honestly say they were happy that the bison were winning championships while we sat at home. I see the bison as our main rival in most sports especially the big ones (football and men’s basketball) but I do not hate them as much as I do USeD. I would sleep just fine if they never won another game in any sport. I don’t even want to see them be competitive.

For the it’s good for the conference crowd. I don’t want to hear it. If you are good win your out of conference game and run through the conference f everyone else.

Outsider1
May 13th, 2021, 08:54 PM
Yes.....

jsualumnus
May 14th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Hell dudes, it’s easier to support other teams right than it is JSU...🤣 All kidding aside, we should always want other teams to be successful for the love of the game. In reality, I hate the name of the team not the players or the coaches.

POD Knows
May 14th, 2021, 07:56 AM
Hell dudes, it’s easier to support other teams right than it is JSU...藍 All kidding aside, we should always want other teams to be successful for the love of the game. In reality, I hate the name of the team not the players or the coaches.Oh, I absolutely get this and I support other FCS players if and when they make it to the big time or not. I just don't see the need or necessity for rooting for rivals, makes no sense to me.

JSUSoutherner
May 14th, 2021, 08:05 PM
In reality, I hate the name of the team not the players or the coaches.

Except Grass. He can get bent.

dewey
May 14th, 2021, 08:08 PM
Depends for me. I am not cheering for UNI, SDSU, USD or God forbid especially GFCC.

SDSU has been a great partner in the D1 move however.

Dewey

dewey
May 14th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Don’t post much on here mainly just lurk but there is no way in he.ll that you will catch me cheering the bison in any sport let alone football. I agree with pod no self respecting jacks fan can honestly say they were happy that the bison were winning championships while we sat at home. I see the bison as our main rival in most sports especially the big ones (football and men’s basketball) but I do not hate them as much as I do USeD. I would sleep just fine if they never won another game in any sport. I don’t even want to see them be competitive.

For the it’s good for the conference crowd. I don’t want to hear it. If you are good win your out of conference game and run through the conference f everyone else.

100% completely agree but the other way as a Bison fan. It doesn't matter who GFCC plays, any sport, FBS, NAIA or whatever I want them lose. Period.

Dewey

ASU33
May 17th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Yes!

ngineer
May 18th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Generally, I support the PL schools when they are playing OOC games. If they do well, it helps the conference overall. Although, difficult to do, I have even supported Laughyette when they have gone OOC. I recall back in 1977 when Lehigh won the D-II National Championship against Jacksonville State, the PA announcers at a Laughyette basketball game announced that Lehigh had won the national championship, 33-0, and the crowd at LC's gym gave a nice ovation. Despite the deep seated rivalry, there is a grudging amount of respect for the long-time opponent.

UNHWildcat18
May 19th, 2021, 10:31 AM
I root for any CAA (including Maine) when its OOC
I'd root for any CAA school in the playoffs however I'd only root for Maine to make the semi's which is as far as UNH has gotten. I would not root for them to make it to the NC or win the NC if they did make it there.
That being said I hope we beat Maine every time we play them.

Super jealous of Maine's athletic overhaul coming....... F U guys