PDA

View Full Version : JMU's Alvin Banks Getting His Shot with the Jets

whitey
August 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Now that Cedric Houston has quit football, Banks is getting his shot at making the roster as the Jets 3rd RB behind Jones and Neon Leon Washington.

Small blurb in the Star Ledger today:

Suddenly, free-agent rookie RB Alvin Banks is no longer merely training camp-fodder, a human tackling dummy. With the unexpected departure of Cedric Houston, the Jets need a third running back in case starter Thomas Jones or change-of-pace guy Leon Washington gets hurt.

Banks, 5-10, 225 pounds, has shown a burst of speed and good hands in the early stages of training camp. He has also displayed a bit of toughness despite his slender frame.

"I'm just willing to do whatever the coaches want me to do," Banks said. "The coaches were just saying how many tryouts and free agents made the team last year. I just want to be one of those guys. You just have to take it day-by-day. If I have a bad practice today, then tomorrow I'm still here and I have to improve. That's all I'm trying to do, improve every day."

Banks, who rushed for 2,694 yards and 28 TDs and had 57 catches for 569 yards and four TDs at James Madison, should get plenty of action in the first two preseason games.

"I think I'm catching on, but it's still a mental strain," Banks said.

Link. (http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1186116050277760.xml&coll=1)