1. Lafayette (6 first-place votes) 63
2. Lehigh (5) 62
3. Colgate (1) 52
4. Holy Cross (2) 50
5. Bucknell 31
6. Fordham 21
7. Georgetown 15

Patriot League Preseason Award Winners
Offensive Player of the Year: Sedale Threatt, QB, Lehigh (Sr., 6'2, 218, Mattapan, Mass.)
Defensive Player of the Year: Mike Gallihugh, LB, Colgate (Sr., 6'0, 197, Midlothian, Va.)

Pard94
August 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080107aab.html

Patriot League Preseason Poll Results
1. Lafayette (6 first-place votes) 63
2. Lehigh (5) 62
3. Colgate (1) 52
4. Holy Cross (2) 50
5. Bucknell 31
6. Fordham 21
7. Georgetown 15

Patriot League Preseason Award Winners
Offensive Player of the Year: Sedale Threatt, QB, Lehigh (Sr., 6'2, 218, Mattapan, Mass.)
Defensive Player of the Year: Mike Gallihugh, LB, Colgate (Sr., 6'0, 197, Midlothian, Va.)

Wow! That kind of makes me nervous...i think I liked it better when we got no repsect.

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Wow! That kind of makes me nervous...i think I liked it better when we got no repsect.

14 voters, 15 points. Now that's no respect!

carney2
August 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM

You think that you're nervous, what about Frank? He loves that "little school on the hill that gets no respect" thing so that he can play his "us against the world" motivational card. He'll be chewing nails tonight at the Football Forum. Should be fun.

I don't have any problems with how the vote turned out but you have to admit that no matter which of the 1st three ended up number 1, your first reaction is "what were these guys smoking?" All three of them have serious holes to fill.

TheValleyRaider
August 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM
I don't have any problems with how the vote turned out but you have to admit that no matter which of the 1st three ended up number 1, your first reaction is "what were these guys smoking?" All three of them have serious holes to fill.

Perhaps, but you do have to pick 1 of them to finish first. Either Lehigh or Lafayette would have made sense to me after last year. Colgate, no reason to put them above those 2 in August. Of course, 2005 was the last time we were picked for 3rd, so I can't say I'm overly concerned. :D

carney2
August 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Perhaps, but you do have to pick 1 of them to finish first. Either Lehigh or Lafayette would have made sense to me after last year. Colgate, no reason to put them above those 2 in August.

Agreed, but any team with Scott and Gallihugh...

Fordham
August 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Who gets the vote - coach & AD ... or someone else? And, DFW, does that mean that either your coach or AD picked you guys to finish last (am I adding this up correctly?)

It just gets curioser and curioser; however, this thing is typically very much a reward for past performance and this is no different. Tavani and Lafayette have earned this respect and I certainly have no problem with that ... however, it also doesn't change that Lehigh is my clear #1 to win it this year.

CrusaderBob
August 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
With two first place votes and 10 (or 12, not sure if you can vote for yourself in this poll) other votes averaging about 5th place, it would seem that the coaches and SIDs are just as divided - or perhaps confused - about what the Crusaders will be this year as everybody on this board!

bison137
August 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM
Coach and SID cannot vote for themselves. Each ranks the other six teams in predicted order. Thus the lowest number of points a team could have would be 12. Thus the Hoyas were actually three above the minimum.

Math: 14 voters x 21 pts (6+5+4+3+2+1) = 294 total points

The maximum number of points that could be achieved is 6x12=72. Had LC been voted second by the six voters who did not put them 1st, they would have had 66 points - thus it appears 3 voters put them third (or someone put them 4th or worse).

Go...gate
August 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Third place seems about right for Colgate. I think Lehigh or Holy Cross will take the title and that Fordham will be resurgent.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
This is great. Glad Lafayette was picked to win the league. Gives just a little bit extra motivation. I will say i am quite suprised all things considered but one can't argue what happened last November.

I-AA Fan
August 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM
They underestimate the Rams and Crusaders. Too much respect for Colgate. Did they say if this is a media or coaches poll?

ngineer
August 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
They underestimate the Rams and Crusaders. Too much respect for Colgate. Did they say if this is a media or coaches poll?

Eact team has two votes--one by the HC and the other by the SID. Neither can vote for their own team.

ngineer
August 1st, 2007, 08:30 PM
I think the poll is realistic--Toss up between Lafayette and Lehigh with Colgate and HC lurking as many have predicted. Same with the MVO and MVD--no real surprises. Will be interesting to see if there are any worthwhile quotes in the paper tomorrow...xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM
Will be interesting to see if there are any worthwhile quotes in the paper tomorrow...xrolleyesx

Not if you live in Washington.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2007, 10:24 PM
I was very very surprised that Lafayette ended up first and Holy Cross was picked FOURTH. This is a team that is ranked in some polls and have basically their entire offense returning! If a vote or two would have gone the other way, they could have been FIFTH!

I'll write some stuff up on this later, but boy, I'm just imagining the chips on their shoulders after today.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2007, 11:25 PM
Just put a quick impression of Media Day on my blog. I'll follow the next few days with info on my interviews & other goodies.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

ngineer
August 1st, 2007, 11:43 PM
Just put a quick impression of Media Day on my blog. I'll follow the next few days with info on my interviews & other goodies.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Lookin' forward to it!!!xthumbsupx

ColgateTD
August 2nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Not surprised by the picks, but I have to say HC would be my darkhorse candidate to take it all.....:o

travelinman67
August 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
I was very very surprised that Lafayette ended up first and Holy Cross was picked FOURTH. This is a team that is ranked in some polls and have basically their entire offense returning! If a vote or two would have gone the other way, they could have been FIFTH!

I'll write some stuff up on this later, but boy, I'm just imagining the chips on their shoulders after today.

Curious as to your read on Street & Smith, et al putting HC #1.

I didn't see anything in their depth chart that showed the same "total package" of talent as Lehigh and Lafayette (or Colgate for that matter).

Any HC guys want to comment?

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Any thoughts by Femovich on expansion? Did Marist or VMI find their way into the conversation?

carney2
August 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Any thoughts by Femovich on expansion? Did Marist or VMI find their way into the conversation?

Another interesting comment from Frank Tavani when asked about PL exapansion: "There are a few schools knocking on the door, but no one is answering at this time," or something very close to that (I didn't have my tape recorder with me). Not sure how to take it.

CrusaderBob
August 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
I didn't see anything in their depth chart that showed the same "total package" of talent as Lehigh and Lafayette (or Colgate for that matter).

Any HC guys want to comment?

Don't know or follow the teams closely enough to judge the talent level thru HC's second team vs. anyone else's second team.

Another interesting comment from Frank Tavani when asked about PL exapansion: "There are a few schools knocking on the door, but no one is answering at this time," or something very close to that (I didn't have my tape recorder with me). Not sure how to take it.

I take it to mean, with the scholarship and AI issues on the table it's pretty tough to determine who might be interested in coming to the party, much less who to invite and for whom you should open the door.

LBPop
August 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
14 voters, 15 points. Now that's no respect!

He shoulda been a Hoya...

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM

A few, eh? Interesting...

colorless raider
August 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
these presidents move at gacial pace. Why would they hurry, they don't really care all that much about athletics. Femovich just takes orders so there is no help there. I hope they prove me wrong.

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hmmm... I don't like this being picked first.. we don't deserve it... no QB, limited RB, 1 D-lineman back, and questionable secondary at times...

It would have been something to see if Lehigh tied us... I would not have minded that... but have liked most of all to see them first..

I know Tavani's response. "Well obviously you are going to get picked first having won three straight Patriot League titles. You are going to have a bulls eye on your back and everybody is going to expect you to continue winning. But of course we are not going to even look at this poll and it means nothing to us. We have a lot of work to do to get back to that level and we are not there yet."

...in reference to the QBs, RB... he wouldn't come out and say those are the direct questions though unless asked... xconfusedx

I don't know about Holy Cross either..

DFW HOYA
August 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Don't underestimate Colgate--they've got perhaps the best coach in the league right now and some great offensive talent.

colgate13
August 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
I'll go on record now that Colgate is going to win the PL this year and anyone underestimating them will be sorry. One bad year doesn't erase a whole lot of good ones. xtwocentsx

carney2
August 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
I'll go on record now that Colgate is going to win the PL this year and anyone underestimating them will be sorry. One bad year doesn't erase a whole lot of good ones. xtwocentsx

You move to the back woods, you limit your posts, and you become an out and out homer. Very disappointing.

ngineer
August 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM

Check out LFN's interview with Femovich---sounds like none of the MAAC teams would even be considered at present--as they do not meet the 'institutional profile' of the members. Aren't too many around that fill that bill: Richmond, Villanova, VMI--and with interest in all-sports, not just football, that would eliminate 'nova, as their basketball would never dane itself to be associated with the 'lowly PL'...

ngineer
August 3rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Interesting that Lehigh is ranked in three preseason national polls, Holy Cross in one, and Lafayette gets selected as the preseason favorite by the coaches and SID's..This is going to be a very wide open race this year. Staying healthy will be crucial..Depth is the leading area that separates the PL from the scholarship conferences. When the injury bug hits lots of change can occur.

PLLB
August 3rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
lehigh lost 17 starters and they are picked second?

Lafayette lost their QB/a couple d-lineman/and the patriot league offensive player of the year. They are picked first?

Interesting??? Can you say sleeper?

colgate13
August 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
You move to the back woods, you limit your posts, and you become an out and out homer. Very disappointing.

If that was what I was basing my decision on, then I'd call myself a homer and be disappointed too. I haven't lost touch in the real world with the program and with the PL in general. In fact, I've been following my Raiders quite closely and I haven't seen this type of team focus and determination in a few years. No one on this team is riding on past accomplishments or reputation.

Colgate is poised to win and the Preseason #1 in the PL is the kiss of death. Come late November, you'll see what I mean. Actually, come late September I think we'll see Colgate's back on track.

That's all I have to say. I just wanted to go on record that 4-7 Colgate is an anomoly. 2007 will put us back on track winning the league. xpeacex

p.s. FWIW I moved FROM the backwoods to a much more populated area! Like 1000% increase in population!

ngineer
August 3rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
lehigh lost 17 starters and they are picked second?

Lafayette lost their QB/a couple d-lineman/and the patriot league offensive player of the year. They are picked first?

Interesting??? Can you say sleeper?

There is no question that every team in the PL has major holes to fill. I think the voting reflects the views of the coaches and SIDs in recognition of who is most capable of filling those holes based upon returning underclassmen who got significant playing time last year. If there was any year in the past 10 where there could be a 'surprise' champion', this could be it..and that would be Holy Cross. LU, LC, and CU have all been there during that time and still have enough to do it again. HC has been in the wilderness for years, but is poised to make some noise. The other three, Gtown, Bucknell and Fordham will be competitive and likely throw an upset into the mix here and there, which can make the whole picture out of focus.

Fordham
August 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
A few comments to, what for me, is a very interesting thread (along w/the schollies one) ... good to see some PL threads to click on when I check the boards:

*Fordham is well placed. Again, we need to see good progress this year and a more competitive team but we will be fielding a TON of frosh's and soph's and there will clearly be growing pains associated with that. I think the cellar could easily be a toss up between us and G-town this year but can definitely see why we got the nod over them, given that we won last year (in a close game), recent history and overall funding of the program.

*I'd be stunned if the PL moves on any additions until the scholarship & AI issues are addressed. Maybe disappointed is a better word, since it seems that expansion needs/opportunities are radically different based upon the outcome of those two issues.

*carney, regarding your view that HC is headed in the wrong direction - what are you basing that on? Last year really changed things for me for the sole reason that the year before, when they surprised everyone by being in the thick of things, they relied on so many seniors to get that done, and everyone expected a big drop off last year. That didn't happen, as they remained competitive in what was supposed to be a down year. Imo, they return more this year and have a proven, top flight guy at the most critical position, so I think their expectations should at least be higher than last year. further, I believe you discount their recruiting class (and perhaps rightfully so), but at this level, who the heck really knows? This doesn't mean that I'm picking them to win it, but I do think that until proven otherwise, they at least appear to be headed in the right direction. Just my .02.

*I believe this year will be a two horse race between Lehigh and Colgate. Earlier in the year, I picked 'gate to win it but I do think Lehigh likely has the best overall talent and another year of getting Coen's system down should make things very interesting. Picture me ducking incoming produce from Pard fans. Here's my pre-season poll (everyone should put their picks down so we can get it on record and compare at the end of the season):

1. Colgate
2. Lehigh
3. HC
4. Lafayette
5 Bucknell
6. Fordham
7. G-town

carney2
August 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
A few comments to, what for me, is a very interesting thread (along w/the schollies one) ... good to see some PL threads to click on when I check the boards:

*Fordham is well placed. Again, we need to see good progress this year and a more competitive team but we will be fielding a TON of frosh's and soph's and there will clearly be growing pains associated with that. I think the cellar could easily be a toss up between us and G-town this year but can definitely see why we got the nod over them, given that we won last year (in a close game), recent history and overall funding of the program.

*I'd be stunned if the PL moves on any additions until the scholarship & AI issues are addressed. Maybe disappointed is a better word, since it seems that expansion needs/opportunities are radically different based upon the outcome of those two issues.

*carney, regarding your view that HC is headed in the wrong direction - what are you basing that on? Last year really changed things for me for the sole reason that the year before, when they surprised everyone by being in the thick of things, they relied on so many seniors to get that done, and everyone expected a big drop off last year. That didn't happen, as they remained competitive in what was supposed to be a down year. Imo, they return more this year and have a proven, top flight guy at the most critical position, so I think their expectations should at least be higher than last year. further, I believe you discount their recruiting class (and perhaps rightfully so), but at this level, who the heck really knows? This doesn't mean that I'm picking them to win it, but I do think that until proven otherwise, they at least appear to be headed in the right direction. Just my .02.

*I believe this year will be a two horse race between Lehigh and Colgate. Earlier in the year, I picked 'gate to win it but I do think Lehigh likely has the best overall talent and another year of getting Coen's system down should make things very interesting. Picture me ducking incoming produce from Pard fans. Here's my pre-season poll (everyone should put their picks down so we can get it on record and compare at the end of the season):

1. Colgate
2. Lehigh
3. HC
4. Lafayette
5 Bucknell
6. Fordham
7. G-town

Will get back to you on this. Right now I am packing my bags and banging away on my computer to finish income producing projects because tomorrow it's "fat, bald geek goes on vacation." I will detail (again) my case for the demise of Holy Cross - and your suggestion of getting on the record with everyone's picks for the season is great. Let's start a Patsies only thread for this. I will hold mine for that thread.

RichH2
August 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Yup, LU lost a lot of starters( got some back with 5 5th yr seniors) but depth even with last yrs small class and a squad heavily spiced with upperclassmen should do the trick IF avoid an injury plague like BU ;last yr or us 3 yrs ago.

All being equal my gut says tossup between LU and HC with LC and Gate right there especially if either or both can get some decent play at qb.
BU is a mystery. Can they avoid being wiped out by injuries every yr at the skill positions. If so they are fast with a freaky O for our league and a good D that lacks any depth at all. Fordham will win some and improve as will GU, I just dont want to be the team that lets up on them .

colgate13
August 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Yup, LU lost a lot of starters( got some back with 5 5th yr seniors) but depth even with last yrs small class and a squad heavily spiced with upperclassmen should do the trick IF avoid an injury plague like BU ;last yr or us 3 yrs ago.

All being equal my gut says tossup between LU and HC with LC and Gate right there especially if either or both can get some decent play at qb.
BU is a mystery. Can they avoid being wiped out by injuries every yr at the skill positions. If so they are fast with a freaky O for our league and a good D that lacks any depth at all. Fordham will win some and improve as will GU, I just dont want to be the team that lets up on them .

I think we'll see something special this year for Gate. My prediction is that by the second half of the UMass game or the first half of the Dartmouth game, (freshman) Charlie Babb takes over at QB and plays well enough to give Jordan Scott the room he needs to run.

Then the PL has four more years of a certain #5 QB at Colgate to contend with. Babb will be Preseason Rookie of the Year.

Disclaimer: I've spending a lot of time in the sun the past few weeks, but that is how I see it!

Seriously though, I think Babb might just be the man.

RichH2
August 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
PL brought in a phenom # of qbs this year. Babb probably the best of a very good bunch. Tough call for him to step in so early but I would not be surprised to see him come PL time. As with most frosh he will make lots of plays for and against you.
Damn it is going to be interesting

Go...gate
August 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
I think we'll see something special this year for Gate. My prediction is that by the second half of the UMass game or the first half of the Dartmouth game, (freshman) Charlie Babb takes over at QB and plays well enough to give Jordan Scott the room he needs to run.

Then the PL has four more years of a certain #5 QB at Colgate to contend with. Babb will be Preseason Rookie of the Year.

Disclaimer: I've spending a lot of time in the sun the past few weeks, but that is how I see it!

Seriously though, I think Babb might just be the man.

Is he the son of the guy who used to play DB for the Miami Dolphins?

colgate13
August 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Is he the son of the guy who used to play DB for the Miami Dolphins?
Don't think so. Here's his online bio:

High School: A 2007 graduate of Alliance High School in Alliance, Ohio … was a four-year letterwinner … played quarterback all four seasons … was captain in his senior year … broke Lenny Dawson’s school record for touchdowns in a season with 19 … Stark County’s career passing leader with 6,801 yards and 73 TD’s … named to Ohio High Magazine Top 100 … first team Northeast Inland All-District Team (Division II) … MVP of team, league, county, and district … named all-state … picked for Ohio North-South All-Star Game … team’s MVP in junior and senior seasons … coached by Ron Kuceyeski … also lettered in basketball and track … a member of the National Honor Society.

Personal: Major is undeclared … parents are Arthur Babb and Wanda Riddle of Alliance, Ohio … born January 26, 1989 in Washington, D.C. … has one brother and sister … full name is Charles Edward Babb.