PDA

View Full Version : Best Bullpen Gets Better?

Col Hogan
July 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Latest word is the Red Sox are about to pick up Eric Gagne from the Texas Rangers...beating out the Mets and Yankees for the relievers services...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

UNHWildCats
July 31st, 2007, 01:25 PM
The Sox will land Gagne if he waives his no trade clause.

http://redsox.travisliles.com/2007/07/boston-lands-gagne.html

UNHWildCats
July 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM
WEEI reporting the deal is done.

Col Hogan
July 31st, 2007, 02:18 PM
And the Best Gets Better!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Yankees fans in my office are about to jump out the window...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bandl
July 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
And the Best Gets Better!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Yankees fans in my office are about to jump out the window...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Aren't you going to help them??? xconfusedx

All they need is a little nudge. xwhistlex

JoltinJoe
July 31st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Washed up has been.

Col Hogan
July 31st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Aren't you going to help them??? xconfusedx

All they need is a little nudge. xwhistlex

Look out below!!! :D :D :D

Col Hogan
July 31st, 2007, 02:31 PM
Washed up has been.

That's why the Yankees were trying to get him...xcoffeex

bandl
July 31st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Washed up has been.

Who...Rivera? I definitely agree.

JoltinJoe
July 31st, 2007, 02:43 PM
That's why the Yankees were trying to get him...xcoffeex

The Dodgers burned this guy out by routinely using him for four or five straight days. He's been a DL fixture since the end of the 2004 season. He's managed to pitch 33 innings this year but I forsee another DL stint for Gagne pretty soon. Sad, because this guy could have been one of the best ever.

The Sox could have had Gagne for nothing in the off season. If the reports are true that the Sox are shipping Engel Beltre in this deal, the Rangers are making out like a bandit. Beltre, Gabbard and Murphy for Gagne? The Sox are out of their mind.

JoltinJoe
July 31st, 2007, 02:47 PM
Who...Rivera? I definitely agree.

xlmaox

Have you looked at his stats lately? He's returned to top form -- again.

bluehenbillk
July 31st, 2007, 02:48 PM
7th Inning...Okijama
8th Inning...Gagne
9th Inning...Papelbon

lights out

bandl
July 31st, 2007, 02:49 PM
xlmaox

Have you looked at his stats lately? He's returned to top form -- again.

Sure, after his off-season extended a few months into the regular season...

JoltinJoe
July 31st, 2007, 02:54 PM
Sure, after his off-season extended a few months into the regular season...

2 blown saves?

bandl
July 31st, 2007, 03:01 PM
2 blown saves?

I'm talking about his whopping 16 saves, 3.05 ERA (highest of his career with more than 20 game appearances) and 2-3 record

My bad...I guess he didn't have too many save chances anyways during the first 3 months of the season. xwhistlex

Col Hogan
July 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM
7th Inning...Okijama
8th Inning...Gagne
9th Inning...Papelbon

lights out

No one...No one...can match that trio...

Joe, Gagne was hurt by overuse...but he's rested... Rangers did not repeat that mistake...

I remember some people on this board saying the Sox would burn out Papelbon's arm this year...

Tito Francona has proven he can manage his bullpen quite nicely...

Gagne will benefit as will the Sox...

Grizalltheway
July 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM
We all know Putz is the best closer in the game right now, end of discussion...xwhistlex xcoffeex

UNHWildCats
July 31st, 2007, 03:10 PM
We all know Putz is the best closer in the game right now, end of discussion...xwhistlex xcoffeex

BaseballAmerica.com just completed a poll among baseball GMs and they chose Papelbon as the BEST reliever in baseball.

bandl
July 31st, 2007, 03:13 PM
BaseballAmerica.com just completed a poll among baseball GMs and they chose Papelbon as the BEST reliever in baseball.

Good thing the GM's don't manage the bullpen...

JoltinJoe
July 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM
No one...No one...can match that trio...

Joe, Gagne was hurt by overuse...but he's rested... Rangers did not repeat that mistake...

How can you justify throwing away:

-- two top prospects (and a CF prospect touted as a five-tool player and potentially one of the best players to ever come out of the Dominican Republic, a guy everyone wanted last year);

-- as well as a guy who has performed way beyond expectations

For:

-- a pitcher who has thrown fewer than 50 innings the last three seasons;

-- whom you could have had for nothing during the off-season; and

-- who is a free agent at the end of the year?

I was ok with the Yankees trying to land Gagne so long as they made it clear they were expending with no top prospects. I think the Sox paid way too much here. I'd rather have Chamberlin and take my chances if this is what it took to land Gagne.

JoltinJoe
July 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM
Putz is the best reliever in the game right now.

Rivera is the best ever.

Grizalltheway
July 31st, 2007, 03:19 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7205
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7614

These STATS suggest otherwise. Most of those GMs probably haven't stayed up late enough to watch the end of a Mariners game.

lucchesicourt
July 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Putz is having a better year than Papelbon so far, but career wise Papelbon is better. This is Putz' BEST year yet, and Papelbon hasn't had a bad season to date. So, if things continue as is career wise Papelbon will have better numbers. So, who is better? Who knows until it is all played out. And the Yankees, a team in need of pitching, what do they do, trade a pitcher. Makes me wonder about what the hell is going on in NY.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Putz is the best reliever in the game right now.

Rivera is the best ever.

Rivera WAS the best ever.

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 06:54 AM
Rivera WAS the best ever.

Rivera has had 18 save chances this year and converted 16 of them. His ERA is 3.00 despite a rough start. And by the end of the year, it will be about 2.50.

Rivera's fastball is slowing down but his movement is still awesome. He has perfect mechanics. He'll be among the best for the foreseeable future.

BTW, Papelbon blew six saves last year in his "breakthrough" year. In his worst season, Rivera blew six saves. So Papelbon is as good as Rivera's worst year (which is still pretty good).

Enjoy your three-for-one that brought you Gagne. Here's what a scout told Jayson Stark:

"His stuff isn't nearly what people think it is. He's got the experience, and he's got the aura, but the quality of his pitches right now is very ordinary. His changeup is elevated. The mistake velocity he used to have on his fastball, he no longer has. So he has to rely on that changeup, and it just doesn't have the stop and dive it used to have. For me, he's not a difference-maker. Mark Teixeira is a difference-maker. This guy -- not anymore."

And to think you'll get about 20 innings out of this injury-prone former phenom before he demands closer money and leaves. How many 5-tool prospects do the Sox have in the system?

CopperCat
August 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM
Rivera has had 18 save chances this year and converted 16 of them. His ERA is 3.00 despite a rough start. And by the end of the year, it will be about 2.50.

Rivera's fastball is slowing down but his movement is still awesome. He has perfect mechanics. He'll be among the best for the foreseeable future.

BTW, Papelbon blew six saves last year in his "breakthrough" year. In his worst season, Rivera blew six saves. So Papelbon is as good as Rivera's worst year (which is still pretty good).

Enjoy your three-for-one that brought you Gagne. Here's what a scout told Jayson Stark:

"His stuff isn't nearly what people think it is. He's got the experience, and he's got the aura, but the quality of his pitches right now is very ordinary. His changeup is elevated. The mistake velocity he used to have on his fastball, he no longer has. So he has to rely on that changeup, and it just doesn't have the stop and dive it used to have. For me, he's not a difference-maker. Mark Teixeira is a difference-maker. This guy -- not anymore."

And to think you'll get about 20 innings out of this injury-prone former phenom before he demands closer money and leaves. How many 5-tool prospects do the Sox have in the system?

Rivera may be good on paper.....

BUT THE RED SOX OWN HIM!!!!xnodx

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 08:51 AM
Rivera may be good on paper.....

BUT THE RED SOX OWN HIM!!!!xnodx

Nonsense but if it makes you happy to say it, fine. The Sox have done better against Rivera than others have but they don't "own him."

It's blantant homer hyperbole like this that makes Sox fans baseball's most disliked fans.

bandl
August 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Nonsense but if it makes you happy to say it, fine. The Sox have done better against Rivera than others have but they don't "own him."

It's blantant homer hyperbole like this that makes Sox fans baseball's most disliked fans.

No, no, no...they are the SECOND most disliked baseball fans. Pull your head out of that cloud!!! xlolx

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM
No, no, no...they are the SECOND most disliked baseball fans. Pull your head out of that cloud!!! xlolx

Not so. You think you don't like Yankee fans simply because they root fot the Yankees -- but if you really knew some Sox fans, you'd see what I mean.

I'll treat you for a day at Fenway Park. Sit there quietly and let it all sink in. You'll see. xnodx

(My wife, who has no dog in this fight, couldn't believe what she saw at Fenway (and it wasn't even a Yankee game). Favorite moment: the drunk behind us screams at the hotdog vendor walking by: "I need two f*****' dahgs").

bandl
August 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM
Not so. You think you don't like Yankee fans simply because they root fot the Yankees -- but if you really knew some Sox fans, you'd see what I mean.

I'll treat you for a day at Fenway Park. Sit there quietly and let it all sink in. You'll see. xnodx

(My wife, who has no dog in this fight, couldn't believe what she saw at Fenway (and it wasn't even a Yankee game). Favorite moment: the drunk behind us screams at the hotdog vendor walking by: "I need two f*****' dahgs").

I've been to both Fenway and Yankees stadium many a time in many different sections, as a O's gear-wearing fan (yep, it's been hell for the past 10 years or so! xlolx But I will just persevere until Angelos dies). Neither of the fans are remotely close to what I would call 'civil' or 'decent'. I would actually be embarassed to be associated with either. xnodx

GannonFan
August 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM

Dude, I got no dog in this fight since I'm neither a Red Sox or a Yankee fan, but if you really thikn that Red Sox fans are the most hated out there in baseball then you are just oblivious to reality. Most people not from New York hate New York - in every sport. And in baseball, it's just magnified. No one really hates Boston - what are you going to hate? Their fans are just like every other Northeast city (Boston, New York, Philly, DC if that counts) - if you think there aren't drunks in Yankee Stadium, Shea, MSG, or out at Giants Stadium who yell the same things then you're just displaying blatant homerism. People hate the Yankees - not nearly as many dislike the Red Sox. Only a Yankee fan would have a hard time seeing that reality. xcoffeex

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM
It's true.
If you aren't a Yankee fan, you're a Yankee hater.
I can't say I honestly hate the Red Sox, but I can about the Yanks. He11, I hate the Blue Jays more than I do Boston.

GO O's!

edit: Oh yeah, about the trade. He's not the same RP that he was 4 years ago, but as another set up man, he's a great addition to an already strong bullpen. If they get a lead going into the 7th, it's going to be tough to rally.

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Dude, I got no dog in this fight since I'm neither a Red Sox or a Yankee fan, but if you really thikn that Red Sox fans are the most hated out there in baseball then you are just oblivious to reality. Most people not from New York hate New York - in every sport. And in baseball, it's just magnified. No one really hates Boston - what are you going to hate? Their fans are just like every other Northeast city (Boston, New York, Philly, DC if that counts) - if you think there aren't drunks in Yankee Stadium, Shea, MSG, or out at Giants Stadium who yell the same things then you're just displaying blatant homerism. People hate the Yankees - not nearly as many dislike the Red Sox. Only a Yankee fan would have a hard time seeing that reality. xcoffeex

Sit in Fenway Park for a night and then tell me "[t]heir fans are just like every other Northeast city." Just isn't so. I've been to games in almost every Northeast city. Boston has by far the worst, most rowdy fans. Much worse than Philly.

Incidentally, an SI poll showed: (i) the Yankees are by far the most liked team in baseball and (ii) the Sox are by far the most disliked team in all of baseball.

Who has a hard time seeing reality? But then again you are self-professed Yankee hater.

bandl
August 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM

You should take DC out of that....DC fans are pussy-cats compared to Philly/New York/Boston. Especially concerning baseball, since we're still not used to having our own team. It's a shame. xlolx

Football...that's a different scenario concerning DC. Of course, doesn't really matter when the football team stinks too! :D

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
You should take DC out of that....DC fans are pussy-cats compared to Philly/New York/Boston. Especially concerning baseball, since we're still not used to having our own team. It's a shame. xlolx

Football...that's a different scenario concerning DC. Of course, doesn't really matter when the football team stinks too! :D

I've seen the Skins play in DC and the Skins crowd was much like a New York sports crowd. Lots of energy but mostly positive and little rowdy behavior.

I sat next to a Twins fan from Minneapolis at a Yankee playoff game at the Stadium a few years back. After the game (which the Yankees won), he said he had never been at a sporting event with so much energy. He also said that the Yankee Stadium crowd was nothing like he expected: not rowdy, not vulgar, and not hostile to fans of the other team.

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Sit in Fenway Park for a night and then tell me "[t]heir fans are just like every other Northeast city." Just isn't so. I've been to games in almost every Northeast city. Boston has by far the worst, most rowdy fans. Much worse than Philly.

Incidentally, an SI poll showed: (i) the Yankees are by far the most liked team in baseball and (ii) the Sox are by far the most disliked team in all of baseball.

Who has a hard time seeing reality? But then again you are self-professed Yankee hater.
Why do I have to go there? Boston New York and Philly fans invade my town every year. xbawlingx xmadx All are equally obnoxious. xnonono2x

I'd be interested in seeing the SI poll. I can believe they are the most liked. Biggest city + winning team = tons of fans. It also mean resentment by the rest, so it would be surprising to see them not the most disliked. Interesting. xcoffeex

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM
I've seen the Skins play in DC and the Skins crowd was much like a New York sports crowd. Lots of energy but mostly positive and little rowdy behavior.
The Fed Ex crowd is nothing like the old RFK glory days!

bandl
August 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM

Not at all, not at all. I STILL remember watching the end of the '82 playoff win on TV against the Vikings, just before the NFC Championship game against Dallas. The entire stadium was chanting 'WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS!' and the bleacher section was bouncing up and down. Still gives me chills. xbawlingx Needless to say, we beat the Cowbitches and went on to win SBXVII, thanks to Riggo's famous 43-yard TD run. xthumbsupx

mlbowl
August 1st, 2007, 10:07 AM
as a O's gear-wearing fan (yep, it's been hell for the past 10 years or so! xlolx But I will just persevere until Angelos dies).

I hear that...oh well...we beat that Boston azz last nightxnodx

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM
I hear that...oh well...we beat that Boston azz last nightxnodx
xthumbsupx
Them O's have been playing some pretty good ball the last month or so. Glad to see Trembley get the nod for the rest of the season.

GannonFan
August 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Now I've heard everything - New York fans are just energentic and mostly positive!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx How you didn't laugh when you wrote that I'll never know. I've been to Fenway, I've been to Shea, I've been to Yankee Stadium, I've been to Giants Stadium, I've been to everywhere in Philly, I've been to RFK, and I've been to Memorial and Camden Yards - people cuss at all those places, people boo in large quantities at all of those places, and people get drunk at all of those places. I've heard plenty of vulgarities all over and have seen many a fistacuff - I understand your view as a Yankee fan that everything is just postive and wonderful, but that's not the view that everyone else sees. People hate New York (sports teams and fans, but hey, the city itself is great!) - this didn't just happen overnight. Let's see the SI poll and we'll see what it said.

GannonFan
August 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM

Not at all, not at all. I STILL remember watching the end of the '82 playoff win on TV against the Vikings, just before the NFC Championship game against Dallas. The entire stadium was chanting 'WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS!' and the bleacher section was bouncing up and down. Still gives me chills. xbawlingx Needless to say, we beat the Cowbitches and went on to win SBXVII, thanks to Riggo's famous 43-yard TD run. xthumbsupx

That was the cool thing about RFK - the bouncing of the stadium. xthumbsupx

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Now I've heard everything - New York fans are just energentic and mostly positive!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx How you didn't laugh when you wrote that I'll never know. I've been to Fenway, I've been to Shea, I've been to Yankee Stadium, I've been to Giants Stadium, I've been to everywhere in Philly, I've been to RFK, and I've been to Memorial and Camden Yards - people cuss at all those places, people boo in large quantities at all of those places, and people get drunk at all of those places. I've heard plenty of vulgarities all over and have seen many a fistacuff - I understand your view as a Yankee fan that everything is just postive and wonderful, but that's not the view that everyone else sees. People hate New York (sports teams and fans, but hey, the city itself is great!) - this didn't just happen overnight. Let's see the SI poll and we'll see what it said.

Blind Yankee rage at work here. Nothing more.

I have a proposal. Wear a Red Sox shirt one night and go to Yankee Stadium for a game and see how you get treated. And then wear a Yankee shirt to Fenway and see what happens.

What someone already did this? Sox fan Jim Caple reports what I could have told him would happen:

Welcome to the Terrordome (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/031014.html)

I wore a Red Sox T-shirt in the Yankee Stadium bleachers and a Yankees T-shirt in the Fenway Park bleachers during the playoffs this past week. And having done so, an apology might be in order for all the Yankees fans I have gleefully insulted over the past few years.

Not that I actually WILL apologize, mind you. I'm just saying that an apology would be in order if I was a bigger man.

I wore the Boston shirt on the subway to Yankee Stadium for Game 2. And I wore it for an hour outside the stadium. And I wore it in the bleachers for three innings. And no one offered so much as a single unpleasant remark. Not one. In fact, one Yankee fan even held the door open for me at the McDonald's across from the stadium.

They were so damn pleasant about it that I don't think I was even in New York.

Cleets
August 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
Washed up has been.

I completely agree, I would not have given up young talent for a guy that is mediocre today... and only getting worse...

Bad move in my estimation, next year the Red Sox will want that young starter they gave away for nothing...

xcoffeex

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
I completely agree, I would not have given up young talent for a guy that is mediocre today... and only getting worse...

Bad move in my estimation, next year the Red Sox will want that young starter they gave away for nothing...

xcoffeex

The nothing being a deep play off run and possible WS title. xcoffeex

TheValleyRaider
August 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Joe, just let it go. People hate the Yankees. I say, "Let 'em!" If they didn't hate us, then we must be doing something wrong. They're all just tired of ending every season watching "New York" sit at the top of the standings xnodx

I would have liked Eric Gagne. But given that Texas was asking for guys like Chamberlain, Melky, and Ian Kennedy, I'm glad we didn't make that trade. I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad move for Boston, but I'm not sure that improving what was already a strong part of your team was the best deadline move. With the Yankees, the bullpen was a "need" area, Boston, I would think, has other needs. xtwocentsx

GannonFan
August 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Joe, just let it go. People hate the Yankees. I say, "Let 'em!" If they didn't hate us, then we must be doing something wrong. They're all just tired of ending every season watching "New York" sit at the top of the standings xnodx

I would have liked Eric Gagne. But given that Texas was asking for guys like Chamberlain, Melky, and Ian Kennedy, I'm glad we didn't make that trade. I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad move for Boston, but I'm not sure that improving what was already a strong part of your team was the best deadline move. With the Yankees, the bullpen was a "need" area, Boston, I would think, has other needs. xtwocentsx

I don't understand, the Yanks haven't finished with a World Series crown in 6 years (that's $1.2B and no crown for those keeping score!) - what are they doing right again??? :p :p :p :p

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM
I don't understand, the Yanks haven't finished with a World Series crown in 6 years (that's $1.2B and no crown for those keeping score!) - what are they doing right again??? :p :p :p :p

Funny. Six years without a WS title constitutes a run of futility? And for that $1.2B spent (grossly exaggerated), the Yankees have made much more. The YES Network alone, created in the last six years, is worth $1.2B!

GannonFan
August 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
Funny. Six years without a WS title constitutes a run of futility? And for that $1.2B spent (grossly exaggerated), the Yankees have made much more. The YES Network alone, created in the last six years, is worth $1.2B!

For an organization with the relative revenue streams that the Yankees bring in, as you've so kindly detailed, yes, it is a run of futility. To spend that kind of money and not win the WS (heck, there's only 2 pennants in that run of no World Series wins) that is futility.

And no, I don't think the $1.2B is exagerrated - sure they've spent much more than $200M in some of the 6 years but I don't think the number is much higher than that. xlolx :p

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Every fans dream! We didn't win, but DAMN they made some money! xeyebrowx

TheValleyRaider
August 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM

It must be good, you can't stop talking about them xcoolx

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Having been to many games in Boston, NYC & Philly, I'll give you that New York is the tamest of the bunch, by far. Boston is no worse than Philly & Philly probably gets the roughest reputation in the country.

Joltin' Joe you obviously have never been to an Eagles game. You're not going to win the East this year, don't be so bitter.

Year 2000.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM
And then wear a Yankee shirt to Fenway and see what happens.

[/i]

Just dumb. Wear a Cowboys jersey to an Eagles game at the Linc & experience a whole new level of pain.

You'd beg to be at Fenway. Any Philly fan here will tell you that in a heartbeat....

GannonFan
August 1st, 2007, 12:27 PM
It must be good, you can't stop talking about them xcoolx

I agree - it's great that they haven't won the title in 6 years with that enormous payroll - it's like watching the Cowboys sputter and fail every year - just sheer enjoyment!!!!

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
You're not going to win the East this year, don't be so bitter.
Year 2000.

I was on the verge of thinking that the Yankees would have to focus on the wild card when ... Ian O'Connor's column today declared the AL East race over! :)

Any Sox fan who has followed O'Connor's pronouncements in the past now needs to be very, very worried.

I'm feeling confident now.

Col Hogan
August 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Is this seat taken...I'm enjoying this discussion and don't want to miss a word...

For the record...not a Red Sox fan in sight...

Fans of other teams are making the arguement about the Yankees quite well, thank you

bandl
August 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Is this seat taken...I'm enjoying this discussion and don't want to miss a word...

For the record...not a Red Sox fan in sight...

Fans of other teams are making the arguement about the Yankees quite well, thank you

Cleets lives in Mass...is he not a Sox fan? xconfusedx

Dont shoot me Cleets if you aren't!!

bandl
August 1st, 2007, 01:03 PM
I was on the verge of thinking that the Yankees would have to focus on the wild card when ... Ian O'Connor's column today declared the AL East race over! :)

Any Sox fan who has followed O'Connor's pronouncements in the past now needs to be very, very worried.

I'm feeling confident now.

Who is Ian O'Connor?

Col Hogan
August 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM
Who is Ian O'Connor?

I had to hunt to find out who he is...

A columnist for a Jersey paper...who today said the Yankees and Cashman "ran the white flag up the pole" by not getting Gagne...

www.northjersey.com (http://www.northjersey.com)

Col Hogan
August 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cleets lives in Mass...is he not a Sox fan? xconfusedx

Dont shoot me Cleets if you aren't!!

Missed his post...you're correct...my bad

Sorry cleets... xoopsx

bandl
August 1st, 2007, 01:11 PM

A columnist for a Jersey paper...who today said the Yankees and Cashman "ran the white flag up the pole" by not getting Gagne...

What's 'Jersey'? Is that the *****hole place that the NJ Turnpike snakes through?

Col Hogan
August 1st, 2007, 01:20 PM
What's 'Jersey'? Is that the *****hole place that the NJ Turnpike snakes through?

Sorry, I think it's joysey...

"What exit".........

JoltinJoe
August 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM

He is a former USA Today columnist now writing for the Bergen Record.

He is well known for saying that the fat lady has sung, usually in overly hyperbolic terms. Whenever he does it, look out. He has sparked more comeback and surprises than I can count. Here' are excerpts from a gem of a column he wrote after Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS. The Sox owe him their rings for this one.

Red Sox are proving to be April Fools' joke in October
Ian O'Connor
Staff
The Journal News

Ian O'Connor

BOSTON - This had nothing to do with a curse and plenty to do with a hoax. The Boston Red Sox, the 2004 edition, had everyone good and duped. They will go down as an Enron-sized monument to consumer fraud.

With their season on the line, the Red Sox surrendered 19 runs to the Yankees. Only 19 runs, 22 hits, 13 extra-base hits and a zillion records. What a legacy, what a joke. April Fools' Day came to a mid-October night, when the Red Sox exposed themselves as counterfeit postseason goods.

They packaged their Game 3 starter, Bronson Arroyo, with their Game 4 starter, Tim Wakefield, and practically guaranteed they won't need a Game 5 starter. The Red Sox didn't give up runs last night; they gave up touchdowns. And Alex Rodriguez, the former high school quarterback, wasn't the only one throwing them.

The Red Sox were going to end all that Yankee domination this year, that was the deal. They had their fatalist fan base so convinced, Bostonians were actually debating whether they would need seven games or six.

The Red Sox have humiliated themselves in the process. They were beaten last night by an accidental reliever named Javier Vazquez, who had been dreadful enough since the All-Star break for Joe Torre to keep him clear of the ALCS rotation. Vazquez hadn't won in more than a month, and yet he took control of a lawless game that had gotten away from Arroyo and Kevin Brown.

Remember last winter when Schilling went to Boston and Vazquez went to the Bronx? For three months, that looked like a bum deal for the Yanks.

Last night, it looked like the deal of the century.....

They'll have to crawl out of an 0-3 hole. Yeah, right. When they're eliminated, nobody should talk about goblins and ghosts.

No October curse here, just an April Fools' Day hoax. The Red Sox have officially stamped their season as a great, big fraud.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2007, 03:08 PM
You're from Jersey? What exit?

JoltinJoe
August 14th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Having been to many games in Boston, NYC & Philly, I'll give you that New York is the tamest of the bunch, by far. Boston is no worse than Philly & Philly probably gets the roughest reputation in the country.

Here's something interesting on the subject of New York vs. Boston fans from today's Boston Globe (by Gordon Edes):

Harsh Words Heard From Coast to Coast (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/08/14/harsh_words_heard_from_coast_to_coast)

Gary Matthews Jr. on Boston fans:

"They're loud, they're drunk, they're obnoxious," Matthews told a cluster of reporters, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.

"It's different from New York," said Matthews. "Yankee fans are passionate about their teams, but they're a little more couth. They have a little more class than Boston fans. At least in New York they appreciate guys who play the game hard and play the game right and they let you know it.

"In Boston, they just smack you for three straight days. They're just dogging you there the whole time. It's a different place."

Col Hogan
August 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Here's something interesting on the subject of New York vs. Boston fans from today's Boston Globe (by Gordon Edes):

Harsh Words Heard From Coast to Coast (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/08/14/harsh_words_heard_from_coast_to_coast)

Gary Matthews Jr. on Boston fans:

"They're loud, they're drunk, they're obnoxious," Matthews told a cluster of reporters, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.

"It's different from New York," said Matthews. "Yankee fans are passionate about their teams, but they're a little more couth. They have a little more class than Boston fans. At least in New York they appreciate guys who play the game hard and play the game right and they let you know it.

"In Boston, they just smack you for three straight days. They're just dogging you there the whole time. It's a different place."

Now, now, joe...let's make sure we complete the comment...

Matthews, who actually said he enjoyed playing in Boston and was smiling through much of his riff, was responding to a question about why the Angels have fared so poorly on their visits here. Since May 18, 2003, the Angels are 4-15 at Fenway.

JoltinJoe
August 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Now, now, joe...let's make sure we complete the comment...

I smile when I say it too. But I mean it. Fenway is a rough place. I never let on to my rooting interest at Fenway.