PDA

View Full Version : ETSU was the 17th team

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 21st, 2021, 10:04 PM
Saw this article where ETSU was the 17th team for the 16-position playoffs. Said Southern Illinois beat ETSU out for the last spot by beating SE Louisiana over the weekend.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/bucs-came-up-one-spot-short-for-fcs-playoff-bid/article_72ad4a08-a20d-11eb-91c7-7be210489708.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

skinny_uncle
April 21st, 2021, 11:27 PM
So is ETSU the alternate in case some team fails the Covid protocol in the first round?

ntxgamecock
April 22nd, 2021, 01:21 AM
I believe the deadline for a replacement team passed on Monday and any COVID stricken teams would simply forfeit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdinva
April 22nd, 2021, 11:09 AM
Saw this article where ETSU was the 17th team for the 16-position playoffs.

Damn! So, if the ETSU v. UTC game had been played, and ETSU won......Socon gets a 2nd team, no doubt.

FUBeAR
April 22nd, 2021, 12:58 PM
Damn! So, if the ETSU v. UTC game had been played, and ETSU won......Socon gets a 2nd team, no doubt.
I think it’s simpler than that. If ETSU was the 17th Team (finishing 4-2 with a loss to Mercer in their final game) & Samford was the 18th - 20th...and Mercer beat ETSU 2 weeks prior, IF Mercer had beaten Samford in the final week, and 17th ranked (at the time) Furman, and 9th ranked (at the time) Chattanooga, won 5 in a row, with their only losses being to #11 VMI & #16 (at the time) Wofford, at 6-2, the Bears had to be in.

And you may say, “nah...not at 6-5 overall,” let’s remember those 3 Fall losses were to seeded JaxSt in a 1 possession game, FBS-Ranked Army, and, to an FCS Team, that didn’t play this spring, on a time-expiring FG.

Yep - have to think, regardless of what happened with VMI-CIT, the Committee would have had Mercer in the field. RATS!

JSUSoutherner
April 22nd, 2021, 01:34 PM
I think it’s simpler than that. If ETSU was the 17th Team (finishing 4-2 with a loss to Mercer in their final game) & Samford was the 18th - 20th...and Mercer beat ETSU 2 weeks prior, IF Mercer had beaten Samford in the final week, and 17th ranked (at the time) Furman, and 9th ranked (at the time) Chattanooga, won 5 in a row, with their only losses being to #11 VMI & #16 (at the time) Wofford, at 6-2, the Bears had to be in.

And you may say, “nah...not at 6-5 overall,” let’s remember those 3 Fall losses were to seeded JaxSt in a 1 possession game, FBS-Ranked Army, and, to an FCS Team, that didn’t play this spring, on a time-expiring FG.

Yep - have to think, regardless of what happened with VMI-CIT, the Committee would have had Mercer in the field. RATS!

"if only we had won our games we'd be in the playoffs"

Such wisdom.

OhioHen
April 22nd, 2021, 01:55 PM

Or if Rhode Island-Maine had been played, the winner would have been the third team from the CAA. Or...

FUBeAR
April 22nd, 2021, 02:37 PM

Such wisdom.Was remedial reading not offered @ JaxSt?

Gil Dobie
April 22nd, 2021, 02:44 PM
Saw this article where ETSU was the 17th team for the 16-position playoffs. Said Southern Illinois beat ETSU out for the last spot by beating SE Louisiana over the weekend.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/bucs-came-up-one-spot-short-for-fcs-playoff-bid/article_72ad4a08-a20d-11eb-91c7-7be210489708.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Just figured ETSU was #17.

ETSU, Murray St, Selu and Samford were the last 4 out, was mentioned on the selection show

lionsrking2
April 22nd, 2021, 03:44 PM
Just figured ETSU was #17.

ETSU, Murray St, Selu and Samford were the last 4 out, was mentioned on the selection show

I dont know who was 17, 18, 19 or 20 but I do know we were told to be ready to go in case somebody opted out on Monday, that we would be in.

Houndawg
April 23rd, 2021, 01:31 PM

Such wisdom.

If a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass hoppin'...

skinny_uncle
April 23rd, 2021, 11:32 PM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox
If a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass hoppin'...