PDA

View Full Version : Traditions

Laker
April 21st, 2021, 04:35 PM
I saw this on Twitter- a list of good/bad traditions. I'm not going to comment on them even though I've seen some of them live because it is FBS. But I have also been to several FCS stadiums and was wondering what your school did that was special. You can even copy what someone else did- as long as it works. MSU-Mankato rings the Victory Bell after the game and has the Mav walk by the band and team through the parking lot for the fans.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzhOy5HX0AQ3yNZ?format=png&name=900x900

Daytripper
April 21st, 2021, 05:22 PM
I've been to quite a few Baylor games and the "Baylor Line" is a pretty cool tradition.

WestCoastAggie
April 21st, 2021, 05:23 PM
A&T's GHOE aka "The Greatest Homecoming on Earth" is a major tradition along with our team's walk in front of our A&T/Greensboro Four Monument on game day.

JSUSoutherner
April 21st, 2021, 05:34 PM
I saw this on Twitter- a list of good/bad traditions. I'm not going to comment on them even though I've seen some of them live because it is FBS. But I have also been to several FCS stadiums and was wondering what your school did that was special. You can even copy what someone else did- as long as it works. MSU-Mankato rings the Victory Bell after the game and has the Mav walk by the band and team through the parking lot for the fans.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzhOy5HX0AQ3yNZ?format=png&name=900x900
Rolling Toomers isn't even the best tradition at Auburn. It's definitely the Eagle fly over.

Bisonoline
April 21st, 2021, 06:31 PM
I've been to quite a few Baylor games and the "Baylor Line" is a pretty cool tradition.

Just looked it up. Thats pretty cool. Dont see anything wrong with it.

Laker
April 21st, 2021, 07:27 PM
Just looked it up. Thats pretty cool. Dont see anything wrong with it.

I don't agree with a lot of the rankings on that list. Someone who doesn't want students to have fun and feel like part of the school I guess.

DFW HOYA
April 21st, 2021, 07:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vz-f8Fdxl4

dgtw
April 21st, 2021, 07:37 PM
In the era of me too I could see where kissing your girlfriend might be problematic but most of these are just silly to complain about. (Not familiar with some of these).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker
April 21st, 2021, 07:58 PM
In the era of me too I could see where kissing your girlfriend might be problematic but most of these are just silly to complain about. (Not familiar with some of these).

I kind of like the kissing the girlfriend part. But I'd probably get in trouble- kissing someone else's girl.

The Twins used to have Kiss Cam. Not sure if they will get rid of that now.

dgtw
April 21st, 2021, 08:11 PM
I kind of like the kissing the girlfriend part. But I'd probably get in trouble- kissing someone else's girl.

The Twins used to have Kiss Cam. Not sure if they will get rid of that now.

I kiss my wife after a Jax State score. I don’t have a problem with the tradition but a girl on a first date might not want a guy she doesn’t know well kissing her in front of thousands of people. With anything of that nature, it needs to be consensual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chalupa Batman
April 21st, 2021, 08:18 PM
Wisconsin's "Jump Around" is on the worst list. That makes the rest of this list invalid.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
April 21st, 2021, 09:14 PM
I don't agree with a lot of the rankings on that list. Someone who doesn't want students to have fun and feel like part of the school I guess.

Hack journalist make **** up to get paid.

ST_Lawson
April 21st, 2021, 09:33 PM
Wisconsin's "Jump Around" is on the worst list. That makes the rest of this list invalid.

Agreed...I like that one. Pretty cool to see a jam-packed Camp Randall Stadium all jumping up and down and going crazy.

Also, I know they have South Carolina on there for 2001: A Space Odyssey, but personally I think their Sandstorm is more impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYq93Tc9vFY

As for what Western does, we don't have much other than firing our cannon on kickoff. They used to do it when we got a TD as well, but I think it's just kickoffs now. I know plenty of other schools do that though, so it's not at all unique to us.

Puddin Tane
April 21st, 2021, 09:48 PM
Back in the day we used to blare an air raid siren, it’s was pretty cool. Then we had a cannon, but they stopped that. Now I think they ding a bell in the end zone, pretty lame.

ElCid
April 21st, 2021, 10:00 PM
Pretty much the entire day is one big traditional. Large and small and too many to list all. But the cannon and musket fire after each score is pretty big. The Corps marching from campus to the stadium and onto the field and saluting the fans on both sides. The Knobs making a block C for the team to run through onto the field. The playing of the Alma Mater after the game. Those are some big ones. Even more on Parents day and Homecoming.

TheKingpin28
April 22nd, 2021, 08:10 AM
The first time you experience the FargoDome entrance (in a full stadium and back when the fans were fully engaged) it's a blood-pumper.

Laker
April 22nd, 2021, 08:17 AM
The first time you experience the FargoDome entrance (in a full stadium and back when the fans were fully engaged) it's a blood-pumper.

Bring earplugs. The noise level, the flashing lights, the crowd- if that isn't intimidating when the bones in your chest are vibrating, then you are either lying or dead.

TheKingpin28
April 22nd, 2021, 08:27 AM
Bring earplugs. The noise level, the flashing lights, the crowd- if that isn't intimidating when the bones in your chest are vibrating, then you are either lying or dead.

Now, it seems like the fan base is disengaged, (should they lose in the playoffs, which I believe they will to EWU) and if they have a bad year this coming fall, maybe the fan base will start putting some noise back in the dome. I haven't heard it as loud as GSU part 2 in a long time. That was pinnacle noise IMO.

Libertine
April 22nd, 2021, 08:33 AM
Pretty much the entire day is one big traditional. Large and small and too many to list all. But the cannon and musket fire after each score is pretty big. The Corps marching from campus to the stadium and onto the field and saluting the fans on both sides. The Knobs making a block C for the team to run through onto the field. The playing of the Alma Mater after the game. Those are some big ones. Even more on Parents day and Homecoming.

My first experiences with college football were sitting in the cheap seats at Johnson Hagood and watching the corps marching in, lining up on the field and maneuvering in response to the semaphore flagmen on the roof. As a kid, I thought every college did that and was really disappointed when I found out otherwise.

OhioHen
April 22nd, 2021, 08:52 AM

That's where they lost any buy in from me, too.

POD Knows
April 22nd, 2021, 08:53 AM
One NDSU tradition that I miss is the first down deal, "That's another Bison first down, Ah move those chains, Sioux suck ****, so much ****. I invented a new saying, "Hawks suck cock, so much cock" but it never caught on.

Anyway, thanks Laker for posting this, I hadn't heard of a lot of these before.

EKU05
April 22nd, 2021, 02:21 PM
At EKU they do fire a cannon after scores, but more notable is the singing of the song "Cabin on the Hill" after victories (the rendition has morphed from folk/country to more of a rapped version over the years). For years it had been done in the locker room, but a few years back they started doing it up on top of "The Hill" in the end zone after the game surrounding the statue of Coach Roy Kidd.

But most strangely, the article below discusses the origins of the odd tradition that in the 2nd quarter of the homecoming game each year "Bruno Wassertheil" is always called to the press box.

https://www.richmondregister.com/sports/ovc-football-more-than-years-later-bruno-wassertheil-still-part/article_8ed60960-b551-11e7-bac3-3f0a87358470.html

- - - Updated - - -

At EKU they do fire a cannon after scores, but more notable is the singing of the song "Cabin on the Hill" after victories (the rendition has morphed from folk/country to more of a rapped version over the years). For years it had been done in the locker room, but a few years back they started doing it up on top of "The Hill" in the end zone after the game surrounding the statue of Coach Roy Kidd.

But most strangely, the article below discusses the origins of the odd tradition that in the 2nd quarter of the homecoming game each year "Bruno Wassertheil" is always called to the press box.

https://www.richmondregister.com/sports/ovc-football-more-than-years-later-bruno-wassertheil-still-part/article_8ed60960-b551-11e7-bac3-3f0a87358470.html