PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: VMI @ James Madison

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Here's how these two match up statistically with the national ranks in parenthesis. Take them with a grain of salt given how few games some teams played this spring and the insular schedules most teams played but hopefully it gives some insight on the relative strengths and weaknesses of each team.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51126401325_c5fe1921ce_z.jpg

Discuss.

Mocs123
April 19th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Tough draw for VMI and I don't think they can beat the Dukes, especially without Udinski, but I'll be pulling for them none the less.

ElCid
April 21st, 2021, 09:33 AM
Tough draw for VMI and I don't think they can beat the Dukes, especially without Udinski, but I'll be pulling for them none the less.

I'm still undecided. The one big drawback for VMI, and plus for JMU, is obviously playoff experience. Not sure it will phase the Keydets terribly, but it is an edge. At least the travel is minimal...very minimal.

Their QB and receivers have some great timing. Not that our secondary is anything to write home about, but they looked well oiled. They have some big/tall receivers able to snag some crazy tosses. They have looked good all year. I think their one loss was just due to the new QB. VMIs D wasn't as impressive as I think it has been as well, at least during our game. They will be challenged. It might be a shootout.

FUBeAR
April 21st, 2021, 09:47 AM
Yeah - struggling with this one - struggled to understand JMU all season...but TBH, I haven’t seen them play.

I can only look at Elon, Davidson, Gardner-Webb relative to JMU ... and then W&M / Richmond ...and Elon. Just don’t see much separating JMU (or Richmond/W&M/Elon) from one another...and, by extension, from Davidson, Gardner-Webb, and Charleston Southern...and that brings Bobby Morris back into this ‘mix.’

I know the Keydets well & they are tough & battle-hardened, having faced & defeated a wide variety of Offensive styles and solid Defenses - they’ve won close/OT defensive games & put up some big numbers, when needed

JMU is favored by 14.5 ... maybe they are that talented.

Certainly pulling for VMI & I just think they have enough (even without Udinski) to get it done.

Mocs123
April 21st, 2021, 09:55 AM
I saw JMU in 2019 and they were very talented, though I think they lost several guys from that team and I know they underperformed this year.

I'm still wagering that JMU is far more talented then VMI, but this VMI team is playing well and it just seems to be their year. I'll be pulling for my fellow SoCon team.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 11:11 AM
Let's go VMI

Chalupa Batman
April 21st, 2021, 11:46 AM
VMI competes, but the Dukes are too talented. Something like 31-21 JMU.

FUBeAR
April 21st, 2021, 11:51 AM
College Sports Madness is kinda thinkin’ like FUBeAR https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/19369 - All games / scores ‘picked’ here.

It’s strange to say, but of all the seeded teams, James Madison might be the one who’s the biggest mystery. A typical season in the Colonial Athletic would have them well tested. But the two division format did them no favors. Their defensive numbers, especially, look supremely scary, but they really haven’t seen a good offense all spring. That will change on Saturday, because the Keydets have a very good offense. An offense that is more predicated on passing than running, which is the area you’d rather attack JMU. Here’s the biggest difference in the programs; JMU has a huge playoff pedigree, VMI is making their first appearance. Call it a hunch. Make a big splash!
Prediction: Virginia Military 27, James Madison 23

kdinva
April 21st, 2021, 07:13 PM
VMI 27; JMU 21

Cowboys5xbs
April 24th, 2021, 01:27 PM
That's a backbreaker wow

kdinva
April 24th, 2021, 02:32 PM
halftime; JMU 21; VMI 3. VMI drove twice in JMU territory, young QB threw two picks, JMU converted one for seven, and after a VMI punt to the Duke 1, their HB broke it for 99 yards. JMU's backs strong runners, can't let them break away from the initial hits.

kdinva
April 24th, 2021, 03:11 PM
JMU 21; VMI 10; 6:28 in the 3rd.

Chalupa Batman
April 24th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Why the hell they punt down 11 with 5 minutes to go?

kdinva
April 24th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Why the hell they punt down 11 with 5 minutes to go?

cuz it was 4th and 6 from their own 24.

knit35
April 24th, 2021, 04:24 PM
Wasn’t really ever that close - kudos to VMI but that game is JMU in a nutshell - JMU just does enough to win - we will see if that continues - the team has a lack of identity and energy at times. Offense disappears for long stretches, who knows what will happen

kdinva
April 24th, 2021, 04:24 PM
Keydets never quit, down 31-17 with 2:06 to go, the R-Frosh QB leads VMI to one last TD, against JMU's first line D, with nine seconds to play, but JMU advances 31-24.

JMU's defense lived up to its reputation, frustrating Morgan to 3 interceptions, which were the difference, as was JMU' off. line, and their backs proved again, if you get them get past the LOS, they are good for five yards plus.

Chalupa Batman
April 24th, 2021, 04:38 PM

By punting chances are really good that in order to get 2 more possessions (while assuming you stop them after the punt) you’ll need an onside kick. 4th and 6 has a much better chance of success than an onside kick.

kdinva
April 24th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Wasn’t really ever that close - kudos to VMI but that game is JMU in a nutshell - JMU just does enough to win - we will see if that continues - the team has a lack of identity and energy at times. Offense disappears for long stretches, who knows what will happen

only time I sighed and said "it's over" was after the FG with 2:15 left, to make it a 14 point game. Yet, VMI almost recovered that last onside kick at the 45, would have loved to see Morgan make one last heave towards the goal line. would have been a prophetic ending: VMI's WR corps vs. JMU's DB's.

grayghost06
April 25th, 2021, 12:46 PM
only time I sighed and said "it's over" was after the FG with 2:15 left, to make it a 14 point game. Yet, VMI almost recovered that last onside kick at the 45, would have loved to see Morgan make one last heave towards the goal line. would have been a prophetic ending: VMI's WR corps vs. JMU's DB's.

Hats off to your Keydets. Very tough, disciplined and creative team. No quit in you guys. Had a couple of things gone differently, you very well could have been playing next week. You certainly found and exploited our weak spots. Your ranking was deserved and best of luck in the upcoming seasons.
PS: my freshman year, you guys crushed us 35-7.

caribbeanhen
April 25th, 2021, 07:16 PM

punting is very overrated.... coaches need to re-think this and figure out a way to get 3 yards the entire game on 4th down....

kdinva
April 26th, 2021, 08:52 AM
punting is very overrated.... coaches need to re-think this and figure out a way to get 3 yards the entire game on 4th down....

4th and six from VMI's 24? I still agree with the Coach's call there, JMU did drive and get just 3. He'd do it again, I bet.

FUBeAR
April 26th, 2021, 10:42 AM
4th and six from VMI's 24? I still agree with the Coach's call there, JMU did drive and get just 3. He'd do it again, I bet.
Really tough decision there. Certainly tough in real time. FUBeAR understood it, but was agin’ it. Even in retrospect, it’s hard to say if the call made was right or wrong.

On the one hand, they only gave up 3 & positioned themselves to have a chance to recover an outside kick at the end & throw a Hail Mary to, potentially, tie or win the game.

On the other hand, they lost the game, they gave JMU almost 3 minutes of possession time...and they didn’t pick up the 1st down, score a quick TD, successfully make a 2 point conversion & put themselves in position to tie it with a FG or win it with a TD and have enough time to do that.

That call didn’t lose the game (and, obviously, didn’t win it). Don’t fault Coach W. for making the call as he knows his Team better than any of us observers / critics. All things being equal, FUBeAR would have gone the other direction...which could have been just as or more wrong.