PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: Davidson @ Jacksonville St

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Here's how these two match up statistically with the national ranks in parenthesis. Take them with a grain of salt given how few games some teams played this spring and the insular schedules most teams played but hopefully it gives some insight on the relative strengths and weaknesses of each team.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51125029157_cddf526ffe_z.jpg

Discuss.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 09:51 AM
I'm just going to copy/paste my post on this game from the JSU board:

Isn't Davidson a TO team?

This should be a blowout. But if I've learned anything over Grass's reign it's that this team can find a way to lose to anyone.

Looking forward to another postseason of disappointment.

SU DOG
April 19th, 2021, 10:02 AM
If there is to be disappointment, it won't be in the first round. IMO, on their worst day the Gamecocks couldn't find a way to lose to this team.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 10:07 AM
If there is to be disappointment, it won't be in the first round. IMO, on their worst day the Gamecocks couldn't find a way to lose to this team.

If this team put their mind to it they could find a way to lose to 11 folding chairs.

Then Grass would come out and proclaim that the folding chairs were just playoff caliber.

Because that's his excuse for losing games now.

Libertine
April 19th, 2021, 11:50 AM
Isn't Davidson a TO team?

No, nothing so pedestrian as the traditional 3O. What Davidson runs is more of a Spread 4O because, besides the FB dive, the pitch man and the QB keeper, they also often bring a jet motion or reverse as an option and then they tack the RPO onto all of that. Imagine what Coastal ran this last year on offense but amped up another notch. If they execute, they are ridiculously hard to stop. If.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 11:54 AM
No, nothing so pedestrian as the traditional 3O. What Davidson runs is more of a Spread 4O because, besides the FB dive, the pitch man and the QB keeper, they also often bring a jet motion or reverse as an option and then they tack the RPO onto all of that. Imagine what Coastal ran this last year on offense but amped up another notch. If they execute, they are ridiculously hard to stop. If.

neat.

Mocs123
April 19th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Davidson's coach has done a fantastic job to get them this far, but JSU should win just on talent alone. JSU is a seriously talented team.

Of course if JSU doesn't win, Gamecock fans will turn on Grass in a heartbeat and it will likely mark the end of his tenure in Jacksonville.

Libertine
April 19th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Davidson's coach has done a fantastic job to get them this far, but JSU should win just on talent alone. JSU is a seriously talented team.

For sure. I expect a series or two where Davidson's offense will make JSU fans want to pull their hair out but JSU is still too big and too fast. Over the course of the game, they should have little problem disrupting Davidson's timing and should completely overwhelm the Wildcats' defense.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 03:07 PM

Of course if JSU doesn't win, Gamecock fans will turn on Grass in a heartbeat and it will likely mark the end of his tenure in Jacksonville.
If this were true I would actively root against JSU in this game.

But when we have 150 yards in penalties, 5 turnovers, and lose this weekend by a field goal Grass will shrug it off and say "it's tough to win in the playoffs" and everyone in the building will let it slide because Grass is a good guy and he won us a lot of OVC games.

Don't be surprised if we score more points for Davidson than ourselves.

Katfan
April 19th, 2021, 03:20 PM
If this were true I would actively root against JSU in this game.

But when we have 150 yards in penalties, 5 turnovers, and lose this weekend by a field goal Grass will shrug it off and say "it's tough to win in the playoffs" and everyone in the building will let it slide because Grass is a good guy and he won us a lot of OVC games.

Don't be surprised if we score more points for Davidson than ourselves.
Either you’re sandbagging or you really want a new coach! You guys will do fine.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 03:40 PM
Either you’re sandbagging or you really want a new coach! You guys will do fine.

If you watched the APSU game this year or any of our playoff games since 2015 you would know I am absolutely not sandbagging.

And yes I want a new coach.

Katfan
April 19th, 2021, 04:10 PM
I did watch the apsu game. You were a better team physically but man the penalties and turnovers killed you. I think your team will clean it up for the playoffs. Can they do it for 4 games in a row maybe if they can they’ll have a shot in every game. It’s playoff time. You have a time with a shot. Let’s go.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 04:19 PM
I did watch the apsu game. You were a better team physically but man the penalties and turnovers killed you. I think your team will clean it up for the playoffs. Can they do it for 4 games in a row maybe if they can they’ll have a shot in every game. It’s playoff time. You have a time with a shot. Let’s go.
They haven't cleaned **** in 5 years.

They aren't suddenly going to stop being ****. It's part of the culture and it starts with Grass and his unwillingness to do anything about it.

Plus what about our track record gives you any indication that'd we'd step it up for a playoff game?

Katfan
April 19th, 2021, 04:31 PM
They haven't cleaned **** in 5 years.

They aren't suddenly going to stop being ****. It's part of the culture and it starts with Grass and his unwillingness to do anything about it.

Plus what about our track record gives you any indication that'd we'd step it up for a playoff game?
Well you did in 2015 when you beat the crap out of us and made the finals!

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Well you did in 2015 when you beat the crap out of us and made the finals!
And?

Katfan
April 19th, 2021, 04:50 PM
And?
So it can be done is my point. Grass was the coach then wasn’t he?

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 04:56 PM
So it can be done is my point. Grass was the coach then wasn’t he?

Sure was, with a bunch of player brought in by Coach Clark.

Katfan
April 19th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Ok well good luck anyway!

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Ok well good luck anyway!

Bah Humbug.

CockyGeek
April 19th, 2021, 06:29 PM
JSU's defense should be able to hold them but don't expect too many points.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 06:30 PM
So looking at the weather forecast looks good for Davidson. Good chance of thunderstorms Saturday. JSU is too soft to play in the rain and Grass will be dumb enough to make this the game that we throw 40+ times in rather than just running it behind our OL. Which is a shame because this is probably my favorite OL we've ever had.

JSUSoutherner
April 20th, 2021, 02:42 PM
JSU is 21 point favorites.

Hammer Davidson for all they're worth.

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2021, 04:22 PM
JSU loses this one. Perfect game for Grass to fail.

Daytripper
April 20th, 2021, 04:42 PM
JSU loses this one. Perfect game for Grass to fail.

It would be very "Grassian"....

Mocs123
April 21st, 2021, 04:17 AM
Does any playoff team hate their coach as much as JSU fans?

JSU02
April 21st, 2021, 09:53 AM
NOPE :)

JSUSoutherner
April 21st, 2021, 10:51 AM

I don't hate Grass. I just hate that he's our coach.

KPSUL
April 21st, 2021, 11:33 AM
I don't hate Grass. I just hate that he's our coach.

I don't get the disparaging posts about Coach Grass. You could successfully argue that JSU has been a top 5 FCS team throughout his tenure as Head Coach. 6 out of 7 years in the FCS playoffs, a FCS Championship game appearance, a bunch of outright conference championships, several excellent performances against quality FBS opponents. He's also optimized the use of the FBS to FCS transfer program to keep the talent level high in an area of the country where there is more competition for football recruits than just about anywhere due to the plethora of Division 1 football teams. And it's not like JSU was a FCS/1AA powerhouse before he arrived. Be careful what you wish for, there are way more space below JSU than above on the FCS pyramid of excellence.

Mocs123
April 21st, 2021, 12:39 PM
I think Gamcock fans feel he has underachieved and that may be warranted. JSU has had some insanely talented teams during his tenure, but not a ton to show for it. The OVC has been pretty weak the past decade and JSU has dominated, but they've done fair OOC as well. He's certainly done well enough though that I don't get their discontent overall.

JSUSoutherner
April 21st, 2021, 02:24 PM
I think Gamcock fans feel he has underachieved and that may be warranted. JSU has had some insanely talented teams during his tenure, but not a ton to show for it. The OVC has been pretty weak the past decade and JSU has dominated, but they've done fair OOC as well. He's certainly done well enough though that I don't get their discontent overall.

Copy-Paste of my post from the JSU board:

If we could change the name of our three playoff opponents and nothing else to Florida State, Auburn, and FIU. We'd beat the hell out of everyone.

One of the things that has always bothered me is this team is arrogant AF and has been for years. Against the big boys they play their asses off and put on a show, against everyone else they play like hot garbage and expect to be thrown W's because they have Jacksonville State on their jersey. The OVC just isn't good enough to punish them for it.

Mocs123
April 21st, 2021, 03:54 PM
I can agree that JSU appeared to me to be undisciplined and arrogant at times. Of course I am far from biased, but we've had a few "incidents" during our games with them. I'm sure our guys weren't saints either but I saw some behavior from JSU players that would have gotten them chewed out by most coaches (and maybe they were behind closed doors).

JSU has had some great talent though as they've beaten some really good Chattanooga teams (particularly 2014 and 2015 where we played them twice in the regular season and lost by 3 both times, and then lost in the playoffs in OT).

The A-Sun will be interesting as both JSU and KSU have spent most of their time as the big fish in the small pond in their previous conferences and with both of them joining the A-Sun along with a good UCA team (EKU and UNA are not slouches either) they'll have to work a lot harder for it. JSU has generally played a pretty good OOC schedule, something many have accused KSU of not doing.

A JSU was a pretty good FCS team before Grass. They've had a solid program a long time.

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2021, 03:10 PM
I think Davidson scores 28 points in this game ....problem is Jacksonville State scores 62

JSUSoutherner
April 23rd, 2021, 03:47 PM
I think Davidson scores 28 points in this game ....problem is Jacksonville State scores 62

I bet we have more penalities than first downs.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Here's to hoping that Davidson can take advantage of our ineptness and win by 60.

A successful day is one where Grass is shown the door at the end of it.

dgtw
April 24th, 2021, 08:54 AM

Clark was there one year before he cashed in at UAB. Jack Crowe contributed some as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Clark was there one year before he cashed in at UAB. Jack Crowe contributed some as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is fair.

Daytripper
April 24th, 2021, 09:14 AM
Here's to hoping that Davidson can take advantage of our ineptness and win by 60.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn...the dislike is palpable. If/when Grass goes, you should have your choice of coaches. That is a good FCS job.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 09:15 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Damn...the dislike is palpable. If/when Grass goes, you should have your choice of coaches. That is a good FCS job.

I want Bill Belichick.

caribbeanhen
April 24th, 2021, 09:32 AM

Well maybe Davidson will score is 35 and you only score in the 40s

if it keeps going this way, Delaware fans might have to cancel those reservations in Alabama for next Saturday

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 09:48 AM
Well maybe Davidson will score is 35 and you only score in the 40s

if it keeps going this way, Delaware fans might have to cancel those reservations in Alabama for next Saturday

You guys already made reservations?

That was dumb.

CockyGeek
April 24th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Davidson only has three plays and we are consistently fooled.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 01:42 PM

We're 2 for 2 so far.

FUBeAR
April 24th, 2021, 01:58 PM
We're 2 for 2 so far.
Thought they were going for more penalty yards than seconds of possession for a while there.

Baron Sardonicus
April 24th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Got to have some time with the ball to score 60 points. That doesn't happen playing Davidson.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 02:18 PM
JSU:

First Downs: 7

Turnovers and Penalties: 7

The only thing keeping us in this game is the fact Davidson has 2.8 YPC and we have 14.1 YPC.

Libertine
April 24th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Well, that got out of hand quickly. JSU up 28-7, scored twice in the last minute before the half.

jsualumnus
April 24th, 2021, 02:29 PM
The penalties are so freakin frustrating! FFS... I don’t have nails anymore!

CockyGeek
April 24th, 2021, 02:30 PM
8:35 in TOP and 4 touchdowns. Time to start the second half with a touchdown put this game away.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 02:48 PM
We scored 3.26 points per minute of possession.

That's on pace for 90 if we could possess the ball.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 02:51 PM
This game is over. Time for all the JSU fans to buy into their own hype and overlook the ass beating UD is about to hand us.

CockyGeek
April 24th, 2021, 02:52 PM
What does Grass do now? This lead is insurmountable for Davidson against this defense.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 02:54 PM
What does Grass do now? This lead is insurmountable for Davidson against this defense.
What will he do?

Probably everything he can to throw the game.

What should he do?

Keep the throttle to the floorboards.

jsualumnus
April 24th, 2021, 03:00 PM
This game is over. Time for all the JSU fans to buy into their own hype and overlook the ass beating UD is about to hand us.
Damn dude...

CockyGeek
April 24th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Cock-a-doodle-doo. Time to get ready for Delaware, I reckon. Maybe the president will visit us.

CockyGeek
April 24th, 2021, 03:30 PM
Presley got a penalty for walking too close to a wide receiver who tripped. What a joke.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 03:52 PM
Why are we giving up garbage time TDs?

We should score again to make up for it.