PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: Holy Cross @ South Dakota St

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2021, 09:47 AM
Here's how these two match up statistically with the national ranks in parenthesis. Take them with a grain of salt given how few games some teams played this spring and the insular schedules most teams played but hopefully it gives some insight on the relative strengths and weaknesses of each team.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51125339294_834afefbeb_z.jpg

Discuss.

Laker
April 19th, 2021, 09:57 AM
Interesting stats. I think that the Jacks will wear them down and it looks like the Crusaders would not be likely to come from behind by passing.

I got online and saw that season ticket holders can order tickets today with the general public allowed to do so tomorrow. It said all ticket sales must be done online. I wanted to do a walk up on Saturday but I guess I'll have to call in.

Sader87
April 19th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Not sure our O has enough weapons to keep this very close. We'll be missing 2 of our better receivers, our best O-lineman didn't play against Bucknell, probably our best TB didn't play this Spring etc etc.....not to sandbag too much lol but our O is pretty basic right now. Looking forward to see the full complement in the Fall. Our D is fairly stout...admittedly not having faced an opponent like SDSU this Spring.

That being said, I am very excited for the opportunity this game presents for the HC program in general.

Laker
April 19th, 2021, 04:53 PM
That being said, I am very excited for the opportunity this game presents for the HC program in general.

Just remember when HC was ranked #16 and they beat the #1 team.

I listened to that game on the radio and the Gopher announcers were just shocked.

https://goholycross.com/news/2020/4/16/holy-cross-vault-mens-ice-hockey-upsets-minnesota-in-2006-ncaa-west-regional.aspx#:~:text=This%20week%2C%20we%20look%2 0back,in%20the%20NCAA%20West%20Regional.

NY Crusader 2010
April 19th, 2021, 06:30 PM
In the pick 'em thread, I projected the following score:

South Dakota State 37, Holy Cross 9.

Our frosh QB has a chance to ultimately develop into the Trey Lance of the Patriot League. But that's not going to happen Saturday in his second career start. Only prayer HC has to stay in this game is for defense and special teams to score/set up 3 or more TDs. We got 5 INTs last week against Bucknell and blocked a punt for a TD against Fordham in our prior game (which seems like 3 months ago).

Unfortunately, our downfall IMO is the fact that our O is too one-dimensional because of the development of our young QB. We're not going to ground and pound our way to success against the cream of FCS. If you combined our offense from our last team to play in the Round of 16 (2009 against Villanova) with this year's defense, I'd say we would have a fighting chance. We have our best kicker in school history, so that will help us get on board if we're able to get into Jacks' territory.

CockyGeek
April 19th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Holy Cross should opt out so they don't get embarrassed.

NY Crusader 2010
April 19th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Interesting stats. I think that the Jacks will wear them down and it looks like the Crusaders would not be likely to come from behind by passing.

I got online and saw that season ticket holders can order tickets today with the general public allowed to do so tomorrow. It said all ticket sales must be done online. I wanted to do a walk up on Saturday but I guess I'll have to call in.

I'm mulling going. The one thing holding me back is the treat of cancellation. We could easily fly out Friday only to find out that someone on either team tested + and the game is a no-contest.

Guess I have until tomorrow morning to decide...

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2021, 06:48 PM

Wouldn’t that even be more embarrassing

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2021, 06:56 PM
How did the PL become the lowest ranked conference?

Sader87
April 19th, 2021, 09:05 PM
It's not like HC has nevah played a team of SDSU's strength ovah the last couple of years. We hung relatively tough with both Navy and Syracuse in 2019 and beat UNH that year.

Point being, this isn't this HC's first rodeo with a very strong opponent. We're still very much a work in progress but the HC players and coaches are not going to be in awe of SDSU.

JacksFan40
April 19th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Don’t want to sound overconfident but this feels similar to the 2018 playoffs against Duquesne. Good team from a weak conference going up against a far superior SDSU.

NY Crusader 2010
April 19th, 2021, 10:06 PM
How did the PL become the lowest ranked conference?

No one said we are. Not that rankings mean anything for a conference that played zero non-conference games.

We are playing the #1 overall seed. But in the FCS tournament that doesn't mean we are necessarily the #16 seed.

mmiller_34
April 20th, 2021, 08:37 AM
I voted for Holy Cross.

Bisonator
April 20th, 2021, 08:43 AM
This will not be close.

CenMEBlackBearFan
April 20th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Hmmm, how does that go, people in glass houses don't throw rocksxbowx You guys could have saved yourself the embarrassment in 2018 with us, game over in first quarter but did like your band.:)

ngineer
April 20th, 2021, 07:57 PM
Cross has some weapons and their QB was impressive in his debut. Defense has been opportunistic and good kicker. Type of game where Jacks could be looking past the Crusaders. I certainly expect SDSU to win, but I voted for HC as in a crazy makes no sense kind of year, this is one of "those games" that would not surprise me with an upset.

POD Knows
April 21st, 2021, 10:11 AM
I voted for Holy Cross.You bet on them, that works good. I am convinced to this day that my bet on UND over Richmond a few years back was a key driving force in UND running a double reverse and choking away a lead.

KPSUL
April 21st, 2021, 10:40 AM
As much a I'd like to see a competitive game, I don't see any way the Cross keeps this one close. SDSU earned their #1 seed by playing the toughest Spring schedule in FCS football. If they stay within 2 TDs, they should consider it a successful day.

Fordham
April 21st, 2021, 02:09 PM
As much a I'd like to see a competitive game, I don't see any way the Cross keeps this one close. SDSU earned their #1 seed by playing the toughest Spring schedule in FCS football. If they stay within 2 TDs, they should consider it a successful day.

Totally agree. HC is very young overall and this will be a great experience for them imo but I don't see any way they keep it close. I'll be rooting for them like crazy, though!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 21st, 2021, 03:07 PM
I don't see Holy Cross getting completely embarrassed. Chesney will have the Crusaders well prepared after the Monmouth debacle a couple of years ago. The PL has a history of being able to put up a good fight in the playoffs despite the league's less than stellar national reputation (top to bottom it's terrible). The MVFC and FCS will learn the name Jacob Dobbs on Saturday. He's TJ Holl good as a sophomore; best overall player in the PL. The Crusaders are a viable offense away from being a Top 15, fringe Top 10 team in the fall.

I'll take the Jacks 31-13

PL vs MVFC/Gateway in the Playoffs 3-3

1999 Illinois State 56 Colgate 13
2000 Lehigh 37 Western Illinois 7
2003 Colgate 28 Western Illinois 27
2010 Lehigh 14 Northern Iowa 7
2011 North Dakota State 24 Lehigh 0
2018 North Dakota State 35 Colgate 0

Sader87
April 21st, 2021, 03:33 PM

We were big underdogs that day too.... xdrunkyx

Houndawg
April 21st, 2021, 09:28 PM

that would be SIU

mmiller_34
April 22nd, 2021, 09:22 AM
You bet on them, that works good. I am convinced to this day that my bet on UND over Richmond a few years back was a key driving force in UND running a double reverse and choking away a lead.

You and I are in-sync with a lot of things

mmiller_34
April 22nd, 2021, 09:50 AM
that would be SIU

Youngstown State?

NY Crusader 2010
April 22nd, 2021, 11:57 AM

I'd be happy with keeping it within 2 scores through halftime. Barring a colossal turnover differential and/or some huge special teams plays that go our way, this game won't be close.

NY Crusader 2010
April 22nd, 2021, 12:01 PM
I'm officially GOING to the game by the way. Was able to get tix via SDSU athletic site yesterday.

Flying into Minneapolis tomorrow evening and staying in Brookings Friday and Saturday night.

Looked into flying to Sioux Falls but only two options for flights out on Sunday are 6am and 6pm, so not ideal.

Sader87
April 23rd, 2021, 12:33 PM
Enjoy NYCru....rep the Purps hahhhd!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 23rd, 2021, 12:45 PM
I'm officially GOING to the game by the way. Was able to get tix via SDSU athletic site yesterday.

Flying into Minneapolis tomorrow evening and staying in Brookings Friday and Saturday night.

Looked into flying to Sioux Falls but only two options for flights out on Sunday are 6am and 6pm, so not ideal.

Enjoy the trip! I like flying into MSP! Nice airport, good rental car setup! I've made the drive from MSP to Fargo/Grand Forks a couple of times.

I really don't think Holy Cross will get "run off the field". They'll never threaten but they also won't get embarrassed imo. Their defense is very capable by national standards...

BNATION
April 23rd, 2021, 01:16 PM
If this is closer than 45 points I’d be shocked.

RabidRabbit
April 23rd, 2021, 04:53 PM
Holy Cross made its success against the weakest 10 teams in FCS. Where as South Dakota State did it against the strongest. This is going to be a blowout game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RabidRabbit
April 23rd, 2021, 04:55 PM

Looked into flying to Sioux Falls but only two options for flights out on Sunday are 6am and 6pm, so not ideal.Enjoy the trip! When I fly to go to Brookings I will fly either into MSP or Omaha.

Sader87
April 23rd, 2021, 06:42 PM
Holy Cross made its success against the weakest 10 teams in FCS. Where as South Dakota State did it against the strongest. This is going to be a blowout game.

We should just come home now....

DFW HOYA
April 23rd, 2021, 08:08 PM
Holy Cross made its success against the weakest 10 teams in FCS.

10? Who are they?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 23rd, 2021, 08:26 PM

Top to bottom the PL has been awful for the last decade (since the adoption of scholarships). With that said, the league's best team has proven to be a tough out at times. The PL is a weird FCS league....

crusader11
April 23rd, 2021, 08:36 PM
From what I’ve read about SDSU, they’ll just ground and pound you to death. HC defense is good enough that they’ll be able to stay within “striking distance” — although the offense just won’t be able to consistently move the ball — most of the game.

HC will play hard and keep it respectable, but never really threaten.

Under is the play tomorrow.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 24th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Holy Cross with a nice methodical drive to start....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 24th, 2021, 02:22 PM
Sluka misses a wide open WR on 3rd and 7 that would have been a TD. Blocked FG on 4th down...Rabbits ball....

crusader11
April 24th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Can’t be missing throws like that.

Nice first drive, though. HC doesn’t seem overwhelmed at the line yet. Let’s see if SDSU’s depth wears us down as the game progresses.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 24th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Impressive drive by SDSU. Holy Cross needs to stick with the game plan on offense.

SDSU 7-0 2:31 1Q

caribbeanhen
April 24th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Holy crap I mean Cross, it’s not 37 to nothing yet

New England scrappy

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 24th, 2021, 05:04 PM
South Dakota State 31 Holy Cross 3 Final

About what I expected. Holy Cross's offense was overmatched but their defense battled enough to keep the score from getting way out of hand. The Crusaders are a refined QB away from being a Top 15 team in the fall.

Sader87
April 24th, 2021, 05:11 PM
We weren't going to win today but we didn't have our 2 best WRs or our best tailback....HC will be back in the Fall

Laker
April 24th, 2021, 08:31 PM
Blocked field goal and muffed punt really hurt HC. Crusaders needed to get turnovers, not make them, to have a shot. Slowly got ground down.

Nice sunny day. Seemed odd to be there with such a small playoff crowd. That should pick up next week when they allow 50% compared to 25%.

SteelSD
April 24th, 2021, 09:00 PM
This game had the feel of SDSU not wanting to show anything to the next round opponent. Very little of Gronowski on the ground and just no frills play calling. The Cross had a good defense but their offense was very limited and missed on the couple of opportunities they had.

Daytripper
April 24th, 2021, 09:04 PM
This game had the feel of SDSU not wanting to show anything to the next round opponent. Very little of Gronowski on the ground and just no frills play calling. The Cross had a good defense but their offense was very limited and missed on the couple of opportunities they had.

Just like SH, if SDSU is going to win the Natty it is this season. It is wide open. The final 8 will be fun.

caribbeanhen
April 26th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Why can’t a coaching staff just go on ESPN plus and watch all their previous games?

Are They going through the spring season saving all their plays for a rainy playoff day?

Libertine
April 27th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Why can’t a coaching staff just go on ESPN plus and watch all their previous games?

Are They going through the spring season saving all their plays for a rainy playoff day?

Yeah, there's no such thing as not showing future opponents anything in college football. Little known fact: schools exchange their game film with upcoming opponents and, typically, all of it from the entire season. In fact, a lot of schools will find ways to get the previous year's footage along with footage from a coach's previous coaching stops as well. The only way you're "not showing anything to the next opponent" is by having never ever run it.