PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: Monmouth @ Sam Houston

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2021, 09:46 AM
Here's how these two match up statistically with the national ranks in parenthesis. Take them with a grain of salt given how few games some teams played this spring and the insular schedules most teams played but hopefully it gives some insight on the relative strengths and weaknesses of each team.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51125029122_307095a97e_z.jpg

Discuss.

Serpentor
April 19th, 2021, 09:51 AM
My Bearkats will reign supreme. THIS, I COMMAND!

Daytripper
April 19th, 2021, 10:02 AM
The key to this game is whether our QB, Eric Schmid, doesn't throw dumb interceptions and whether our front 7 can shut down the Monmouth running game. If Schmid doesn't turn it over and our D-line and LBs play like they have all year I think it could be a long day for the Hawks.

katss07
April 19th, 2021, 10:36 AM
I'm happy with a Monmouth draw, a competitive opponent from a conference that has given the Kats a few close games in the playoffs over the years. A bit surprised that's who we are paired with, but if Sam is to reach their expectations in these playoffs, taking care of a team like Monmouth is a must.

It could be a very long day for the Hawks offense. The Bearkats won't give Juwon Farri much of anything. The Kats are FIRST in the FCS in stats like rush yards allowed per game, tackles for loss per game and sacks per game. This is a defense that forces turnovers. If MU wants anything, they're going to have to play outside and get to the edges, which is still a gamble considering the strength of our defense as a whole as well as the quick LB core we have.

IF Eric Schmid is smart, which has been an IF over the past two weeks, then this game should not be close. Sam has the best WR group in the Southland, and it's arguably the best in the FCS (although EWU might like a word). Ezzard and Harvin are reportedly fully healthy, and Adeyi has been great over the past two weeks. And it's not just the usual air raid that you have to worry about with Sam. The Kats have a run game now, with Maine transfer Ramon Jefferson, All-Conference back Donovan Williams and emerging big playmaker Noah Smith. The only way I can see this game being close is if Monmouth can slow down the Kats through the air. Which, seeing how they played against JMU last year, seems like a big question.

Hopefully a solid crowd is at Bowers this weekend, though I expect significantly less fans for an early round game than a quarterfinal or semifinal matchup. Will be fun to have playoff ball back and will be a good measuring stick. For both programs.

Puddin Tane
April 19th, 2021, 10:47 AM
I’d like to make the game but
—it’s tooooo early!!
—I reckon there’s COVID seating?

Im glad to get an eastern team. Hoping sammie beats the piss out of em.

Hope the weather cooperates

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2021, 10:53 AM
—it’s tooooo early!!

Why is this game kicking off so early? 11AM local time??? Seems like that's only done to accomodate TV schedules but I'm fairly sure ESPN and the NCAA let host schools kick off whenever they want to this week since games are only streaming on ESPN3.

It'll be 25% capacity per the NCAA guidelines unless state or local limits are lower than that (which I'm guessing they're not in Huntsville).

katss07
April 19th, 2021, 10:55 AM
—it’s tooooo early!!

There is COVID seating, only 25% of the stadium capacity is allowed in. Think the number is like 3,500. I'm sure there are a few seats available.

Forecast has it around 85 with some sun on Saturday. Hopefully a bit humid.

wapiti
April 19th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Where's the poll?

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Where's the poll?
Ah! Good call, I should probably add those.

EDIT: Damn... I don't think I can... option doesn't show up in thread tools anymore. Sorry.

MUHAWKS
April 19th, 2021, 11:07 AM
There is COVID seating, only 25% of the stadium capacity is allowed in. Think the number is like 3,500. I'm sure there are a few seats available.

I thought Texas was a full go? re: covid etc?

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 11:10 AM
I thought Texas was a full go? re: covid etc?

NCAA rules

Based on other games I've seen in Bowers, the 25% rule really won't make any difference.

MUHAWKS
April 19th, 2021, 11:25 AM
I'm happy with a Monmouth draw, a competitive opponent from a conference that has given the Kats a few close games in the playoffs over the years. A bit surprised that's who we are paired with, but if Sam is to reach their expectations in these playoffs, taking care of a team like Monmouth is a must.

It could be a very long day for the Hawks offense. The Bearkats won't give Juwon Farri much of anything. The Kats are FIRST in the FCS in stats like rush yards allowed per game, tackles for loss per game and sacks per game. This is a defense that forces turnovers. If MU wants anything, they're going to have to play outside and get to the edges, which is still a gamble considering the strength of our defense as a whole as well as the quick LB core we have.

IF Eric Schmid is smart, which has been an IF over the past two weeks, then this game should not be close. Sam has the best WR group in the Southland, and it's arguably the best in the FCS (although EWU might like a word). Ezzard and Harvin are reportedly fully healthy, and Adeyi has been great over the past two weeks. And it's not just the usual air raid that you have to worry about with Sam. The Kats have a run game now, with Maine transfer Ramon Jefferson, All-Conference back Donovan Williams and emerging big playmaker Noah Smith. The only way I can see this game being close is if Monmouth can slow down the Kats through the air. Which, seeing how they played against JMU last year, seems like a big question.

Hopefully a solid crowd is at Bowers this weekend, though I expect significantly less fans for an early round game than a quarterfinal or semifinal matchup. Will be fun to have playoff ball back and will be a good measuring stick. For both programs.

Good summary, thanks!- IMO the key is really how much closer is our type of talent to yours. Because from a "stats" standpoint we have similar stats and frankly ours are just as good in many areas. However, it is clear Sammy plays better comp, so where will all that shake out? In 2019 we dominated the Big South yet after 1.5 quarters JUM had their way with us. I have been closely following our program from since almost day 1 and this is easily the best "team" we have had. I put team in parentheses b/c we have had better individual players on given teams but there seems to be a very good gel here.

Our O line is big and veteran laden. Our RB is a better pure RB then Pete Guerriero was (on the Jets and 3rd in Walter Payton award 2019). Our WR corp is VERY deep. We have 6-7 capable WR's and the top 2 are very very good, probably on a national level. Our QB is a true freshman and although he has shown poise and has a hell of an arm, this will be a different ball game. Can he handle it mentally? HUGE question and if answered in a good fashion for us, I think will be a huge key to us staying in and possibly winning this game. I am not sure of your d line in terms of are they big and hard to move or smaller but quick? if it is the latter I think it favors us. But again, we are talking about "levels" here.. IS MU's talent that far behind you guys? If so, long day for us..The JMU game was a good learning experience for us and sort of showed us where we need to be and improve.

Despite us scoring 40+ in a lot of games in 2019 and this year, our defense could be the better unit. They tackle very well and have real good mix of size and speed. In the past we do not fare well against teams that throw a lot and spread it out..However our D line is VERY deep and full of athletes. To me that is they real key to the game. If our d line is legit as good as they look and not just for the Big South that will allow our DB's a bit more ability to be agressive and force your QB into some uncomfortable spots. Again in the "big south" we really do not have many weaknesses aside from specials (new kicker looks very shaky on FG's),, Are we that far behind top teams still? We will find out Saturday but I promise you this is NOT the Monmouth team that most think they are getting. These guys truly believe they are a top 5 team and can compete with anyone. We have tremendous depth at almost every position and I can say without bias I think The FCS community will be a bit surprised at the increase in ability from that JMU game as an all around football team. If we cant run the ball, you are correct it is probably game over..

Puddin Tane
April 19th, 2021, 11:27 AM
I don’t think y’all will run the ball vs. sammie

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 11:29 AM
I don’t think y’all will run the ball vs. sammie

Really? That's the easiest way to beat them. They can't score if they aren't on the field.

MUHAWKS
April 19th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Really? That's the easiest way to beat them. They can't score if they aren't on the field.

he means will not have success running the ball

BNATION
April 19th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Good summary, thanks!- IMO the key is really how much closer is our type of talent to yours. Because from a "stats" standpoint we have similar stats and frankly ours are just as good in many areas. However, it is clear Sammy plays better comp, so where will all that shake out? In 2019 we dominated the Big South yet after 1.5 quarters JUM had their way with us. I have been closely following our program from since almost day 1 and this is easily the best "team" we have had. I put team in parentheses b/c we have had better individual players on given teams but there seems to be a very good gel here.

Our O line is big and veteran laden. Our RB is a better pure RB then Pete Guerriero was (on the Jets and 3rd in Walter Payton award 2019). Our WR corp is VERY deep. We have 6-7 capable WR's and the top 2 are very very good, probably on a national level. Our QB is a true freshman and although he has shown poise and has a hell of an arm, this will be a different ball game. Can he handle it mentally? HUGE question and if answered in a good fashion for us, I think will be a huge key to us staying in and possibly winning this game. I am not sure of your d line in terms of are they big and hard to move or smaller but quick? if it is the latter I think it favors us. But again, we are talking about "levels" here.. IS MU's talent that far behind you guys? If so, long day for us..The JMU game was a good learning experience for us and sort of showed us where we need to be and improve.

Despite us scoring 40+ in a lot of games in 2019 and this year, our defense could be the better unit. They tackle very well and have real good mix of size and speed. In the past we do not fare well against teams that throw a lot and spread it out..However our D line is VERY deep and full of athletes. To me that is they real key to the game. If our d line is legit as good as they look and not just for the Big South that will allow our DB's a bit more ability to be agressive and force your QB into some uncomfortable spots. Again in the "big south" we really do not have many weaknesses aside from specials (new kicker looks very shaky on FG's),, Are we that far behind top teams still? We will find out Saturday but I promise you this is NOT the Monmouth team that most think they are getting. These guys truly believe they are a top 5 team and can compete with anyone. We have tremendous depth at almost every position and I can say without bias I think The FCS community will be a bit surprised at the increase in ability from that JMU game as an all around football team. If we cant run the ball, you are correct it is probably game over..

Your defense will decide this game, to answer your question, our D-Line is big, fast and hard to move. I don't think you will have a ton of success offensively. So it will come down to if your defense can hold SH to less than 23 points, if you can do that i think MON has a legitimate chance of the upset here.

gokat89
April 19th, 2021, 02:14 PM

Kat D is only allowing 51.8 yds per game rushing , ranking 4th in the FCS in that Stat. And they have only allowed 2 rushing TD's this season so far.

katss07
April 19th, 2021, 02:21 PM

Sam is big up front on the D Line, definitely a tough to move group. SHSU has a few all conference linemen, between Trace Moscorro who transferred from UTEP, DE Jahari Kay who was just named a Buck Buchanan finalist and Joseph Wallace, who is a Texas Tech transfer. All three guys are well over 6'0 ft and close to 300 lbs at least. That's a big reason SHSU has had so much success stopping the run game. J'von Leon, who was the freshman of the year in the SLC last year, also plays on the D-Line and helps make SHSU's defense what it is.

This is not the same Bearkat defense as the last time they were in the postseason. Not even close. DC Clayton Carlin, along with KC's insistence on better defense, has turned this into one of the best defensive lines in the FCS. They allow less than 60 rushing yards a game. Combine that with leading the nation in sacks with 4 per game and forcing so many punts, it could be a rough day for Monmouth.

The Hawks REALLY need their defense to show up, as pointed out by another poster. If MU can stop the Kats, this might be a ballgame.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Why is this game kicking off so early? 11AM local time??? Seems like that's only done to accomodate TV schedules but I'm fairly sure ESPN and the NCAA let host schools kick off whenever they want to this week since games are only streaming on ESPN3.

It'll be 25% capacity per the NCAA guidelines unless state or local limits are lower than that (which I'm guessing they're not in Huntsville).

Long trip to Texas is bad enough for Monmouth and I think the early start just compounds the problem.... good move by the home team

lionsrking2
April 19th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Sam will make Monmouth one-dimensional. If they can't throw, it'll be a long morning/early afternoon for the Hawks.

Puddin Tane
April 19th, 2021, 09:48 PM
Bout 3 hour plane ride to Houston? then an easy bus up to Huntsville. No biggie.

the early kickoff is the norm up there isn’t it? I think that favors Monmouth. The Southland likes to sleep in.

Only games I can remember ever being early were mcneese home games this year and that was due to hurricane damage to the field and lighting.

Puddin Tane
April 19th, 2021, 10:00 PM
Couple of things that concern me, besides the breakfast time kickoff
1- sammie didn’t bomb mcneese
2-sammie didn’t bomb NWLa

gokat89
April 19th, 2021, 10:09 PM

But they bombed Nicholls, Lamar and UIW and scored more than the other three. If I remember right, NW St didnt get bombed by SE La or Nicholls. Nicholls lost to McNeese

katss07
April 19th, 2021, 10:16 PM
Bout 3 hour plane ride to Houston? then an easy bus up to Huntsville. No biggie.

the early kickoff is the norm up there isn’t it? I think that favors Monmouth. The Southland likes to sleep in.

Only games I can remember ever being early were mcneese home games this year and that was due to hurricane damage to the field and lighting.
Kats started at 11 last weekend in San Antonio.

Puddin Tane
April 19th, 2021, 11:40 PM
Kats started at 11 last weekend in San Antonio.

the madness must stop!

Puddin Tane
April 19th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but we beat both of them with possibly the worst offensive team I’ve ever seen at LU

BNATION
April 20th, 2021, 08:10 AM
If you watched all the games NWLA is a very salty team. They didn’t get blown out by anyone. In a longer season that’s a team after it changed its QB that was turning the corner. By this estimation SELA should beat NDSU since they played SIU close?

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2021, 04:20 PM

So even at 25 percent capacity, there are still plenty of seats because Sam attendance sucks..

gokat89
April 20th, 2021, 04:26 PM
So even at 25 percent capacity, there are still plenty of seats because Sam attendance sucks..

Coming from a lumberjack.... xlolxxlolx

Daytripper
April 20th, 2021, 04:42 PM

How'd that fall season go?

Yeah, I don't remember either.

katss07
April 20th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Funny considering that Sam's BOTPW attendance keeps the event alive. Maybe things would be different if SHSU didn't bring in 4 times the fans SFA does.

JSUSoutherner
April 20th, 2021, 05:30 PM
I like how I make this joke and no one cares.

Then you, an SFA fan, makes this joke and they all lose their mind.

I guess it's good that they know their place at least.

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Funny considering that Sam's BOTPW attendance keeps the event alive. Maybe things would be different if SHSU didn't bring in 4 times the fans SFA does.

i mean that’s the only game your alumni attend. They’re too lazy to drive the hour out of Houston to Huntsville but they’ll come to the game at NRG. Really, that’s a bad look on you and your marketing.

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2021, 05:32 PM

because they know it’s truthful coming from me

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Coming from a lumberjack.... xlolxxlolx

we average 10k at home. Y’all had one of the best teams of the last decade and can’t even get your stadium half full. Pretty sad that the athletes get to play for 5k folks, most of whom are blue hairs who don’t want people to be loud at the game.

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2021, 05:38 PM
How'd that fall season go?

Yeah, I don't remember either.

Eh..we had our season.

enjoy your game this weekend as y’all will be out to either EWU or NDSU.

Daytripper
April 20th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Eh..we had our season.

Gonna save this post....

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2021, 06:34 PM
Gonna save this post....

please do. It’s also on my twitter. Your amazing (yes I said amazing) home playoff win streak has to end at sone point and both of those teams can play defense.

katss07
April 20th, 2021, 09:49 PM
we average 10k at home. Y’all had one of the best teams of the last decade and can’t even get your stadium half full. Pretty sad that the athletes get to play for 5k folks, most of whom are blue hairs who don’t want people to be loud at the game.
Pot meet kettle. Our worst team in the past decade, 2018, drew an average of 8,000 fans. That was still 3k more people than SFA drew on average that year.

Both of our stadiums are half full 90% of the time. We win in ours. Jacks don't win in theirs. That's what matters.

katss07
April 20th, 2021, 09:52 PM
i mean that’s the only game your alumni attend. They’re too lazy to drive the hour out of Houston to Huntsville but they’ll come to the game at NRG. Really, that’s a bad look on you and your marketing.
Well clearly your alumni don't attend ANY games, because the crowds at Homer Bryce are similar to the ones at Bowers, and they sure as hell don't show up in Houston.

katss07
April 20th, 2021, 10:05 PM

I mean, that's about the only thing JSU has on either of SHSU or SFA as football programs. You get more fans.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 08:14 AM
Pot meet kettle. Our worst team in the past decade, 2018, drew an average of 8,000 fans. That was still 3k more people than SFA drew on average that year.

Both of our stadiums are half full 90% of the time. We win in ours. Jacks don't win in theirs. That's what matters.

And your 2019 team averaged 4,894 with your highest being the UIW game. SFA went 3-9 and still averaged 8,323.

Do I need to go year over year?

2017 you averaged 9,132, we averaged 11,376 and we were 4-7...

Note: These are games in Huntsville/Nacogdoches. BOTPW isn't counted

https://www.southland.org/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2017#results

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 08:25 AM
And your 2019 team averaged 4,894 with your highest being the UIW game. SFA went 3-9 and still averaged 8,323.

Do I need to go year over year?

2017 you averaged 9,132, we averaged 11,376 and we were 4-7...

Note: These are games in Huntsville/Nacogdoches. BOTPW isn't counted

https://www.southland.org/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2017#results
You can go over year by year. At that point, it would just be embarrassing to both of our schools.

Note 2014, the last time SFA was relevant on the football field and made the postseason. Sam averaged 10k fans, which is more than SFA drew that year. Or 2012, when we outdrew you guys by about 3k a weekend.

Sam fans don't pretend to have excellent attendance. Why do SFA fans pretend they do?

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 08:29 AM
You can go over year by year. At that point, it would just be embarrassing to both of our schools.

Note 2014, the last time SFA was relevant on the football field and made the postseason. Sam averaged 10k fans, which is more than SFA drew that year. Or 2012, when we outdrew you guys by about 3k a weekend.

Sam fans don't pretend to have excellent attendance. Why do SFA fans pretend they do?

Because even with a dumpster fire on the field, we can still get into 5 figure attendance. You guys have had (second to NDSU) the best product in FCS and YOUR ALUMNI DON'T SHOW UP!

What the **** is wrong with y'all? Seriously?

Coogkat15
April 21st, 2021, 08:45 AM
Because even with a dumpster fire on the field, we can still get into 5 figure attendance. You guys have had (second to NDSU) the best product in FCS and YOUR ALUMNI DON'T SHOW UP!

Wrong! Our alumni do show up. Our attendance has been on a downward trend along with all of college football. As history has shown our problem is fixable and we can, with better marketing sell out Bowers, I believe I recall seeing a certain person in SFA attire at one of our 12k sellouts. Apparently y’all’s problem (with football wins) is not fixable. Y’all have had almost a decade and haven’t. So can we stop beating this dead horse. One that SFA fans love to randomly rehash at every opportunity. Y’all don’t win football games, we need to fix our attendance. Maybe we’ll get more butts in seats when y’all start winning games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 08:52 AM
Wrong! Our alumni do show up. Our attendance has been on a downward trend along with all of college football. As history has shown our problem is fixable and we can, with better marketing sell out Bowers, I believe I recall seeing a certain person in SFA attire at one of our 12k sellouts. Apparently y’all’s problem (with football wins) is not fixable. Y’all have had almost a decade and haven’t. So can we stop beating this dead horse. One that SFA fans love to randomly rehash at every opportunity. Y’all don’t win football games, we need to fix our attendance. Maybe we’ll get more butts in seats when y’all start winning games.

Us (being SFA) winning games doesn't help your lack of marketing in Huntsville. Get your kids to stay in Huntsville on the weekend instead of going to Houston. Get your alumni up there.

Also, that certain person wasn't me. The only Sam game I have gone to other than BOTPW was that game y'all placed at BBVA...because I sat in the suite. You wouldn't catch me in Huntsville (lie..I went to someone's tailgate for their birthday but avoided the game xlolx )....except I might come to the game next weekend if y'all don't step on your jock against Monmouth. NDSU/EWU at SHSU? Instant classic.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 08:56 AM
One other note on BOTPW, it's time to take it out of NRG. There's nothing glorifying about playing in a NFL stadium and only allowing seating on the bottom level. You are then playing in a 2/3 empty, cavernous stadium.

Bring it back to campus sites. Let Homer Bryce and Bowers fill up and have folks sitting on the grass berms. That is a much better atmosphere, plus much MUCH better tailgating.

Coogkat15
April 21st, 2021, 09:01 AM
Us (being SFA) winning games doesn't help your lack of marketing in Huntsville. Get your kids to stay in Huntsville on the weekend instead of going to Houston. Get your alumni up there.

Also, that certain person wasn't me. The only Sam game I have gone to other than BOTPW was that game y'all placed at BBVA...because I sat in the suite. You wouldn't catch me in Huntsville (lie..I went to someone's tailgate for their birthday but avoided the game xlolx )....except I might come to the game next weekend if y'all don't step on your jock against Monmouth. NDSU/EWU at SHSU? Instant classic.

Eh. The students stay on the weekend. Sam stopped being a backpack school around about 2016 (I graduated and worked for the university) locals complain about it all the time. I think we can agree both our athletic departments have problems that need to be fixed.

Not looking past Monmouth but I do agree NDSU/EWU would be an instant classic. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Bowers sales out during the playoffs. There is a buzz around the program amongst fans/alumni that hasn’t been seen since 2011/2012.

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 09:19 AM

SFA has averaged 5 figure attendance ONCE since 2010. xlolx Even Sam, pathetic attendance and all, has done that in that span.

Why are SFA fans to fixated on our attendance? Maybe because it's the only football related thing you can beat us at? Nobody WANTS to be a basketball school. The last time you beat us, Jeremy Moses was your quarterback.

What the **** is wrong with SFA folks? Why can't you bring more than 2,000 people to the BOTPW? Not even a real rivalry anymore. Smh

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 09:22 AM
SFA has averaged 5 figure attendance ONCE since 2010. xlolx Even Sam, pathetic attendance and all, has done that in that span.

Why are SFA fans to fixated on our attendance? Maybe because it's the only football related thing you can beat us at? Nobody WANTS to be a basketball school. The last time you beat us, Jeremy Moses was your quarterback.

What the **** is wrong with SFA folks? Why can't you bring more than 2,000 people to the BOTPW? Not even a real rivalry anymore. Smh

Why do we want to be a basketball school? Because we get more money (and so did y'all from our appearances before the whole NCAA thing) so you're welcome.

Why drive to Houston for a game in an empty stadium and mediocre tailgating? Take it back to campus sites. Why can't your alumni drive an hour? Houston is dominated by Sam alumni..it's easy to get to Huntsville and you get to wave at a giant statue.

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 09:29 AM
One other note on BOTPW, it's time to take it out of NRG. There's nothing glorifying about playing in a NFL stadium and only allowing seating on the bottom level. You are then playing in a 2/3 empty, cavernous stadium.

Bring it back to campus sites. Let Homer Bryce and Bowers fill up and have folks sitting on the grass berms. That is a much better atmosphere, plus much MUCH better tailgating.
I can agree with this. The Piney Woods was better on campus. Better crowds, better atmosphere, better games.

2003 (in Huntsville): 10,131
2004 (in Nac): 13,753
2005 (in Huntsville): 11,872
2006 (in Nac): 9,634
2007 (in Nac): 9,467
2008 (in Huntsville): 10,134
2009 (in Nac): 18,546

Would be beneficial to both programs and schools. Plus SFA fans will get to see SHSU whoop their ass live for the first time in over a decade.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 09:31 AM
I can agree with this. The Piney Woods was better on campus. Better crowds, better atmosphere, better games.

2003 (in Huntsville): 10,131
2004 (in Nac): 13,753
2005 (in Huntsville): 11,872
2006 (in Nac): 9,634
2007 (in Nac): 9,467
2008 (in Huntsville): 10,134
2009 (in Nac): 18,546

That 2005 game was ugly....probably the driving force for moving it off campus sites.

I mean NRG is more convenient for me...but I'd rather go up to Nac (or Huntsville), start tailgating at 8am..or the night before...versus the four hour tailgate that we have at NRG. It's just ran its course...

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 09:41 AM
That 2005 game was ugly....probably the driving force for moving it off campus sites.

I mean NRG is more convenient for me...but I'd rather go up to Nac (or Huntsville), start tailgating at 8am..or the night before...versus the four hour tailgate that we have at NRG. It's just ran its course...
Any idea why you guys hosted two years in a row?

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 09:44 AM
Any idea why you guys hosted two years in a row?

I think it was when we brought in UCA

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 10:19 AM
Eh. The students stay on the weekend. Sam stopped being a backpack school around about 2016 (I graduated and worked for the university) locals complain about it all the time. I think we can agree both our athletic departments have problems that need to be fixed.

Not looking past Monmouth but I do agree NDSU/EWU would be an instant classic. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Bowers sales out during the playoffs. There is a buzz around the program amongst fans/alumni that hasn’t been seen since 2011/2012.

It's unfortunate that COVID had to rain on our parade. I also believe there is an excitement around this team that would draw the playoff sellouts we had early in the decade. Especially with the potential of EWU or NDSU coming into town.

We might not like to hear it, especially not from an SFA fan, but there are GLARING issues within our athletic department and attendance problems that need to be addressed, especially if the FBS dream is to be attained (although I, like many others, have my doubts about that). Our alumni show up... just not with enough consistency. Why can we draw 10,000 fans for a game with Lamar or Prairie View or Oklahoma Panhandle A&T State School for the Blind in mid August, but when a top 10 team rolls into town hardly get 5k? I get Huntsville isn't exactly a... beacon of entertainment. I get that there are 8 or so FBS schools within a three hour drive. But it's on our administration, AD and alumni association. Our marketing team kinda sucks. Do you remember the pep rallies before each playoff game in 2011? Why don't we do that anymore!

We remember the sellouts and loud crowds fondly, like in 2011 against Montana. I remember rushing the field. But I remember the crowd of 5,000 against SELA in the 2014 First Round just as vividly.

How do you average 10,000 fans one year, then under 5,000 the next? That would lead one to believe there are underlying issues more on an institutional level. Hopefully our new prez, the move to the WAC, and the millions in facility improvements gear up the excitement. Because Bobby Williams will just sit on his hands. And we both know that.

I fear, even with this team, we'd see the same issue. You're right, we'd probably draw close to 12,000 for NDSU or EWU in a non COVID world (assuming we don't "trip over our jock" against the Hawks). But I can't imagine we'd draw more than 6k for Monmouth. Can you?

Coogkat15
April 21st, 2021, 10:31 AM
Yeah I believe so but then again, haven’t seen much of an attempt by the athletic department to reach out to casuals. There is a “Samfam” reunion planned in Huntsville this weekend. Hopefully they hang around and make it into the game. I think the home side will be full as usual. From what I’m hearing the student/visitor/tv side is showing promise. I just wish we could tailgate. We would get the students to the tailgate, keep them around with the live music and beer and then wrangle them into the stadium. I remember helping do that with the Kennesaw Playoff game! It was a good time! lol

BNATION
April 21st, 2021, 10:38 AM
Once again "The Rev", who has been a constant troll since i joined in 2011, is hijacking a thread with irrelevant convo. BOTPW is next fall, and we will beat y'all by 30, again.... Meanwhile we have the best team (defense), we've had since 2011 (when I graduated), and I, unlike other years, fully expect us to be able to compete and most likely beat NDSU if they can get past EWU. Meanwhile the jackoffs will be home watching football on tv like they always are during playoff time.

Remember that we have more playoff wins in the last 10 years than anyone aside from NDSU, and our only loses have been to teams who played in the championship game. With the exception of the SELA game 29-30.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 10:47 AM
Once again "The Rev", who has been a constant troll since i joined in 2011, is hijacking a thread with irrelevant convo. BOTPW is next fall, and we will beat y'all by 30, again.... Meanwhile we have the best team (defense), we've had since 2011 (when I graduated), and I, unlike other years, fully expect us to be able to compete and most likely beat NDSU if they can get past EWU. Meanwhile the jackoffs will be home watching football on tv like they always are during playoff time.

Remember that we have more playoff wins in the last 10 years than anyone aside from NDSU, and our only loses have been to teams who played in the championship game. With the exception of the SELA game 29-30.

Constant Troll...FCS voter...Contributor on the FCS Wedge...we can keep going. Also, FTR, I've actually been complementary of Sam football on social media this spring. Knew you'd woodshed the paper tigers of Nicholls and I figured you'd hang 100 on UIW.

Care to wager on if Sam makes it to Frisco?

One other thing..I didn't take the first swipe at your meager attendance, a JSU fan did :)

BNATION
April 21st, 2021, 10:53 AM
Constant Troll...FCS voter...Contributor on the FCS Wedge...we can keep going. Also, FTR, I've actually been complementary of Sam football on social media this spring. Knew you'd woodshed the paper tigers of Nicholls and I figured you'd hang 100 on UIW.

Care to wager on if Sam makes it to Frisco?

One other thing..I didn't take the first swipe at your meager attendance, a JSU fan did :)

Ill wager on a game by game basis with you absolutely.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 10:54 AM
Ill wager on a game by game basis with you absolutely.

Great, let's start next week as we both agree Sam will beat Monmouth.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 10:57 AM
I have a bet going with the admin of FCS Fans Nation that Sam loses to EWU/NDU winner. I think if you get past them, you're going to beat whomever comes out of the JMU side (because it won't be JMU) and you'll effectively win the Frisco bet.

BNATION
April 21st, 2021, 10:59 AM
Name the wager

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 11:05 AM
Name the wager

Let me give this some thought. My initial bet was if Sam makes it to Frisco, I'll donate 100 bucks to the Bearkat Champions Fund. If they don't, you donate 100 to the Purple Lights Fund...

Let me figure a game by game one.

Chalupa Batman
April 21st, 2021, 11:50 AM
I appear to have gotten lost. Can someone point me to the thread that discusses the upcoming game? Thanks.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 11:51 AM
I appear to have gotten lost. Can someone point me to the thread that discusses the upcoming game? Thanks.

Pretty simple Taco. Sam wins 42-21 over Monmouth.

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 11:55 AM
Yes, I believe it's titled "2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: EWU @ NDSU"

BNATION
April 21st, 2021, 01:49 PM
Monmouth fans, what do you think your keys to victory are? I have not watched your team play this year, how is your passing attack? Receivers?

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 03:51 PM
Sheesh, we complain about OUR attendance. Monmouth was averaging 2,000 fan a game for a few years. I haven't seen their stadium though and I'm sure it's a small private school. But that's low by Big South standards.

Any MU fans making the trip? What should we expect in terms a of a visitors crowd.

JSUSoutherner
April 21st, 2021, 08:41 PM
Sheesh, we complain about OUR attendance. Monmouth was averaging 2,000 fan a game for a few years. I haven't seen their stadium though and I'm sure it's a small private school. But that's low by Big South standards.

Any MU fans making the trip? What should we expect in terms a of a visitors crowd.
It's really not. The only Big South team that draws anyone is UNA and they aren't even really Big South yet.

Oh and they're leaving.

Puddin Tane
April 21st, 2021, 09:06 PM
Great...a playoff thread has turned into a sammie-slumber jack attendance pissing match.
can we just agree the SLC has sorry attendance across the board?

Puddin Tane
April 21st, 2021, 09:13 PM
Eh..we had our season.

this is why I wouldn’t root for sfa in any game..ever.

i have a hard time pulling for Sam, but damn, it’s good for the conference if they win. (Yes, if sfa stumbled into a playoff game, it too would be good for the conference..but I wouldn’t couldn’t root for em..double standard? Possibly)

Im hoping they aren’t overlooking Monmouth, and put a total smack down on em.

Puddin Tane
April 21st, 2021, 09:18 PM
I would expect Monmouths entire crowd will be coaches wives.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 09:21 PM
this is why I wouldn’t root for sfa in any game..ever.

i have a hard time pulling for Sam, but damn, it’s good for the conference if they win. (Yes, if sfa stumbled into a playoff game, it too would be good for the conference..but I wouldn’t couldn’t root for em..double standard? Possibly)

Im hoping they aren’t overlooking Monmouth, and put a total smack down on em.

It’s not good for our future conference. They won’t receive any benefit from the postseason.

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 09:26 PM
It's really not. The only Big South team that draws anyone is UNA and they aren't even really Big South yet.

Oh and they're leaving.
Yes it kinda is. They drew less fans than anyone in their conference not named Presbyterian. Who is leaving.

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 09:29 PM
It’s not good for our future conference. They won’t receive any benefit from the postseason.
Yeah, but it makes the league look better heading into next year.

TheRevSFA
April 21st, 2021, 09:31 PM
Yeah, but it makes the league look better heading into next year.

That’s fair.

Puddin Tane
April 21st, 2021, 09:32 PM
I ain’t talkin money. Talking reputation. It would help us all out in the eyes of fcs football.

Katfan
April 22nd, 2021, 07:39 AM
I root for all conference teams in post season even SFA. But mostly in basketball

BigBlueMU
April 22nd, 2021, 07:52 AM
Monmouth fans, what do you think your keys to victory are? I have not watched your team play this year, how is your passing attack? Receivers?

The frosh QB Muskett is surprisingly impressive; has a really nice touch on the ball. He also has had all day to throw behind a veteran O-line. MU has a solid receiver duo in Moore & Greene.

Front 7 has looked really good, but I still think we are a little vulnerable to the long ball. Special teams has been solid.

Still really can't tell if we are that good or if the Big South was just really bad this year (especially KSU). I think its somewhere in the middle.

Daytripper
April 22nd, 2021, 09:19 AM
I root for all conference teams in post season even SFA. But mostly in basketball

I do as well. 1st priority is my team and its status/reputation. 2nd priority is conference status/reputation. 3rd priority is hating on rivals.

MUHAWKS
April 22nd, 2021, 10:19 AM

Well- great question. This is a huge test game for us b/c our recent history suggests that we are not on the same level as the REAL top 5-10 teams in nation. Think we can all agree Kennesaw is an over rated novelty. A good and capable team, just not a legit top team.

Keys to victory aside from the obvious football clichés IMO are not getting smoked defensively against the pass. We have tended to struggle with teams who can spread it out and make us cover all game. Hopefully that will be somewhat better now b/c we have a very athletic and deep D LINE so it should enable us to get a pass rush. I am not worried about us on offense, not b/c SH defense is not great but b/c that is either going to work or not. Despite what sammy fans think, we WILL be able to move the ball. It may not be as easy or the same as in the big south but we will move the ball, that I promise. Even though we have a very good defense I think I am more worried about our D being able to make stops and get off the field and not let up big plays. If SH is as good as people say and has the type of athletes it looks to have, this game is all about our defense. I have no doubt that people who do not know Monmouth or think we are the same as a "good patriot league team" will be very much surprised.

The QB looks good but this is his 4th ever start as a true freshman. Can he keep mentally focused and cut losses when needed? Can we score touchdowns in the red zone? Our kicker is new and has not looked good on FG's so it may force us to be more aggressive in the red zone and go for it on 4th and short when close..This is a true "team"-- sure there are some studs but our strength is how we gel and play as a team.

#1 key- defense getitng off the field. Make stops. Pressure the QB

# 2 key- freshman QB plays worry free (bc he can make plays) and has a good mental game.

I really think that is it. I mean, if we are truly still far behind the good top teams it will be evident and this wont matter. But if we are a lot closer than before, it is about getting of the field not letting up big pass plays. I am not worried one bit about us being able to move the ball. We have a lot of very good WR's that are a combo of size, strength and speed. We are good at creating mismatches in the passing game where your LB's may have to cover a WR who can burn..Most people in the MU football community think we are finally on this level and ready to show it but there remains doubt until we do. Frankly, no true idea what to expect but I think if anything SH may not be looking at us as what we really are as opposed to us, we know you guys are very good but we are not timid- we are playing with a chip on shoulder and I think that psychology favors us..

Daytripper
April 22nd, 2021, 10:26 AM
Well- great question. This is a huge test game for us b/c our recent history suggests that we are not on the same level as the REAL top 5-10 teams in nation. Think we can all agree Kennesaw is an over rated novelty. A good and capable team, just not a legit top team.

Keys to victory aside from the obvious football clichés IMO are not getting smoked defensively against the pass. We have tended to struggle with teams who can spread it out and make us cover all game. Hopefully that will be somewhat better now b/c we have a very athletic and deep D LINE so it should enable us to get a pass rush. I am not worried about us on offense, not b/c SH defense is not great but b/c that is either going to work or not. Despite what sammy fans think, we WILL be able to move the ball. It may not be as easy or the same as in the big south but we will move the ball, that I promise. Even though we have a very good defense I think I am more worried about our D being able to make stops and get off the field and not let up big plays. If SH is as good as people say and has the type of athletes it looks to have, this game is all about our defense. I have no doubt that people who do not know Monmouth or think we are the same as a "good patriot league team" will be very much surprised.

The QB looks good but this is his 4th ever start as a true freshman. Can he keep mentally focused and cut losses when needed? Can we score touchdowns in the red zone? Our kicker is new and has not looked good on FG's so it may force us to be more aggressive in the red zone and go for it on 4th and short when close..This is a true "team"-- sure there are some studs but our strength is how we gel and play as a team.

# 2 key- freshman QB plays worry free (bc he can make plays) and has a good mental game.

I really think that is it. I mean, if we are truly still far behind the good top teams it will be evident and this wont matter. But if we are a lot closer than before, it is about getting of the field not letting up big pass plays. I am not worried one bit about us being able to move the ball. We have a lot of very good WR's that are a combo of size, strength and speed. We are good at creating mismatches in the passing game where your LB's may have to cover a WR who can burn..Most people in the MU football community think we are finally on this level and ready to show it but there remains doubt until we do. Frankly, no true idea what to expect but I think if anything SH may not be looking at us as what we really are as opposed to us, we know you guys are very good but we are not timid- we are playing with a chip on shoulder and I think that psychology favors us..

Great analysis. Thanks for the insight.

BNATION
April 22nd, 2021, 10:30 AM

Thanks! Yea I’ll be there and hoping for a good game. I’ve watched some highlights and your RB looks dangerous and QB has definite arm talent for a freshman. I too am worried our players may be flat, and looking forward to EWU/NDSU. Hope not, but that can always happen.

Katfan
April 22nd, 2021, 12:31 PM
Everyone is talking about these teams offenses but this game will be about defense. Which team can disrupt the most. Imho our defense is better than our offense this year and last. This defense is closer to the defense we had in 2011 and maybe better, time will tell. Which teams offense can make adjustments to what the defense is doing will probably win this game but I really believe it will be dictated by the defense. I just don’t see either teams offense imposing their will on the other team.

gokat89
April 22nd, 2021, 10:02 PM
Everyone is talking about these teams offenses but this game will be about defense. Which team can disrupt the most. Imho our defense is better than our offense this year and last. This defense is closer to the defense we had in 2011 and maybe better, time will tell. Which teams offense can make adjustments to what the defense is doing will probably win this game but I really believe it will be dictated by the defense. I just don’t see either teams offense imposing their will on the other team.

I personally thought the 2011 defense was the best defense I had ever seen at SHSU. But, by comparison lets take a look....

2011 Kats (14-1)

Scoring ...................... Offense 36.9 avg ......... Defense 14.9 ppg allowed
Total Yds .................... Offense 407.7 ypg ........ Defense 279 ypg allowed
Rushing yds ................ Offense 255.0 ypg ........ Defense 72 ypg allowed
Passing yds ................ Offense 151.6 ypg ........ Defense 207ypg allowed

2021 Kats (6-0)

Scoring ...................... Offense 44.8 avg ......... Defense 17.5 ppg allowed
Total Yds .................... Offense 524.7 ypg ........ Defense 358 ypg allowed
Rushing yds ................ Offense 186.7 ypg ........ Defense 51.7 ypg allowed
Passing yds ................ Offense 338.0 ypg ........ Defense 306 ypg allowed

The 2021 defense is very good, but not quite as good as the 2011 unit IMO. I think the biggest difference where the 2011 Kats set themselves apart was the turnover margin. Offense only had 14 total turnovers ( 6 fumbles, 8 ints) opponents had 42 tunovers ( 19 fumbles, 23 ints).... Crazy number.

MUHAWKS, not saying Monmouth wont move the ball, but I think you will find on Saturday that the Kat front 7, especially the front 4, will be the one of the best you will see this year. Kat D had two bad games where they didnt play up to the level we have seen most of the year and those two games were SE Louisiana (536 yds offense) and NW State (453 yds offense). Other than that, they held every other offense under 400 total yds, INCLUDING UIW who was the top offense in FCS until last weekend.

This should be a good game to kick things off this weekend. Both teams are very similar.

katss07
April 22nd, 2021, 10:36 PM
If you won't say it then I will.

I can't see Monmouth moving the ball too much on the Kats. If Monmouth wants to win they're going to need to hold Schmid and Co. to less than 20 points.

lionsrking2
April 22nd, 2021, 11:00 PM
I personally thought the 2011 defense was the best defense I had ever seen at SHSU. But, by comparison lets take a look....

2011 Kats (14-1)

Scoring ...................... Offense 36.9 avg ......... Defense 14.9 ppg allowed
Total Yds .................... Offense 407.7 ypg ........ Defense 279 ypg allowed
Rushing yds ................ Offense 255.0 ypg ........ Defense 72 ypg allowed
Passing yds ................ Offense 151.6 ypg ........ Defense 207ypg allowed

2021 Kats (6-0)

Scoring ...................... Offense 44.8 avg ......... Defense 17.5 ppg allowed
Total Yds .................... Offense 524.7 ypg ........ Defense 358 ypg allowed
Rushing yds ................ Offense 186.7 ypg ........ Defense 51.7 ypg allowed
Passing yds ................ Offense 338.0 ypg ........ Defense 306 ypg allowed

The 2021 defense is very good, but not quite as good as the 2011 unit IMO. I think the biggest difference where the 2011 Kats set themselves apart was the turnover margin. Offense only had 14 total turnovers ( 6 fumbles, 8 ints) opponents had 42 tunovers ( 19 fumbles, 23 ints).... Crazy number.

MUHAWKS, not saying Monmouth wont move the ball, but I think you will find on Saturday that the Kat front 7, especially the front 4, will be the one of the best you will see this year. Kat D had two bad games where they didnt play up to the level we have seen most of the year and those two games were SE Louisiana (536 yds offense) and NW State (453 yds offense). Other than that, they held every other offense under 400 total yds, INCLUDING UIW who was the top offense in FCS until last weekend.

This should be a good game to kick things off this weekend. Both teams are very similar.

As an outsider who saw both 2011 and 2021 Kat defenses up close, I think the 2021 version is better. It all starts up front and this Kat D-line is the best I've seen, plus you have good tacklers on the back end. You may have had a more talented secondary in '11 but overall, I like this team more across the board. Comparing stats isn't a good measure IMO because Southland offenses in 2011 were not at the level they are today, and constructed differently — there wasn't much tempo back then and not the same level of sophistication in the passing game. SFA was "wide open" back then and led the league with 318 yards per game passing. No other team in the league averaged more than 288 yards and only three of eight averaged more than 216 yards passing. Think about the QBs Sam faced this spring — 2011 wasn't close in that regard. The level of offensive skill in the Southland right now is as good as I've seen in it in all the years we've been in the league. You gave up 17.5 points per game — thinks about that.

Daytripper
April 23rd, 2021, 06:38 AM
As an outsider who saw both 2011 and 2021 Kat defenses up close, I think the 2021 version is better. It all starts up front and this Kat D-line is the best I've seen, plus you have good tacklers on the back end. You may have had a more talented secondary in '11 but overall, I like this team more across the board. Comparing stats isn't a good measure IMO because Southland offenses in 2011 were not at the level they are today, and constructed differently — there wasn't much tempo back then and not the same level of sophistication in the passing game. SFA was "wide open" back then and led the league with 318 yards per game passing. No other team in the league averaged more than 288 yards and only three of eight averaged more than 216 yards passing. Think about the QBs Sam faced this spring — 2011 wasn't close in that regard. The level of offensive skill in the Southland right now is as good as I've seen in it in all the years we've been in the league. You gave up 17.5 points per game — thinks about that.

I enjoy looking at stats for comparison, but you are right about the difference in offenses in the Southland between then and now. Personally, just based on the eyeball test, I also think this defense is better than the 2011 version. And like you said, it all starts with the front 7, especially the d-line. We get consistent pressure with the front four and when we blitz the QB usually doesn't have a chance.

TheRevSFA
April 23rd, 2021, 09:27 AM
I enjoy looking at stats for comparison, but you are right about the difference in offenses in the Southland between then and now. Personally, just based on the eyeball test, I also think this defense is better than the 2011 version. And like you said, it all starts with the front 7, especially the d-line. We get consistent pressure with the front four and when we blitz the QB usually doesn't have a chance.

Please don't take this as anything disparaging against Sam's defense because they have a pretty ****ing good one and that front 7 is no joke.

I hesitate to look at stats for comparison because there's no OOC. It's Sam vs the Southland. That's also what makes predicting the playoffs hard because..there's no OOC games to use as a gauge.

I know I have Sam picked to lose in the quarters because streaks have to end at some point and that's the best chance for it to, but good luck Kats. Seriously. Hope I lose my bet.

Daytripper
April 23rd, 2021, 09:56 AM
Please don't take this as anything disparaging against Sam's defense because they have a pretty ****ing good one and that front 7 is no joke.

I hesitate to look at stats for comparison because there's no OOC. It's Sam vs the Southland. That's also what makes predicting the playoffs hard because..there's no OOC games to use as a gauge.

I know I have Sam picked to lose in the quarters because streaks have to end at some point and that's the best chance for it to, but good luck Kats. Seriously. Hope I lose my bet.

Yeah, I hear you. But the only team that really had any success offensively against us was SELA in the first game of the season.

katss07
April 23rd, 2021, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I hear you. But the only team that really had any success offensively against us was SELA in the first game of the season.
Yep. And SELA has the best QB in the country, so I'm confident in thinking our D will hold up against teams in other leagues.

Defensive football always translates better to the postseason than trying to hang 70 on your opponent.

TheRevSFA
April 23rd, 2021, 10:49 AM
Yep. And SELA has the best QB in the country, so I'm confident in thinking our D will hold up against teams in other leagues.

Defensive football always translates better to the postseason than trying to hang 70 on your opponent.

Actually, Sam has the best QB in the country and the fact that he was left off of Payton Award ballot is a farce.

Daytripper
April 23rd, 2021, 11:08 AM
Actually, Sam has the best QB in the country and the fact that he was left off of Payton Award ballot is a farce.

Who are you and what have you done with the Rev? xsmiley_wix

lionsrking2
April 23rd, 2021, 11:11 AM

You guys will be just fine vs any team in the field. I suppose you could lay an egg against anyone, but the Kats are the most complete team in the country. I like your chances of running the table.

Puddin Tane
April 23rd, 2021, 12:39 PM

somebody kidnapped the Rev and hacked into his computer!

I think you can pass on Sam. But, I love passing offenses and may be a tad biased. I think if you got a decent qb, you can pass on anybody in college.

- - - Updated - - -

Sams qb was frickin awesome vs us

BNATION
April 23rd, 2021, 12:54 PM
The Rev got off work early today and started boozin, or he has a medicinal card haha. It’s not even fun when your nice lol

TheRevSFA
April 23rd, 2021, 01:25 PM

I dove into a bottle of Jameson like I was Scrooge McDuck diving into his vault....

BNATION
April 23rd, 2021, 01:30 PM
I dove into a bottle of Jameson like I was Scrooge McDuck diving into his vault....
Haha nothing wrong with that my friend.

gokat89
April 23rd, 2021, 03:06 PM

Thats why i put the stats out there for some comparison. Dont get me wrong, I think this defense is very good and would put them up against anybody.

Now there was a good point made about out of conference games. I guess that is what we will find out this weekend.

Gangtackle11
April 23rd, 2021, 04:17 PM
I don’t think this will be close. I actually think Monmouth’s 2019 team was a better version than this team with Pete “The Jet” Guerrero. They went to JMU and had an early lead, but in the end got boat raced. I think it will happen again. I hope I’m wrong. xpeacex

BNATION
April 23rd, 2021, 04:31 PM
Already in Huntsvegas 2 red rockets deep.

JSUSoutherner
April 23rd, 2021, 04:36 PM
Already in Huntsvegas 2 red rockets deep.
Phrasing.

Daytripper
April 23rd, 2021, 05:09 PM
I don’t think this will be close. I actually think Monmouth’s 2019 team was a better version than this team with Pete “The Jet” Guerrero. They went to JMU and had an early lead, but in the end got boat raced. I think it will happen again. I hope I’m wrong. xpeacex

I saw one game with that Guerrrero kid...he was FAST.

katss07
April 23rd, 2021, 05:45 PM
It's pouring in Huntsville right now, but looks like weather will cooperate tomorrow morning.

70 and sunny for kickoff at 11 am local.

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2021, 06:12 PM

Now this is funny

Southland does have some good quarterbacks

I think the Encarnacion Ward QB is best

MUHAWKS
April 23rd, 2021, 06:26 PM

This years team is better than 2019. Pete was great and had sick speed but our RB now (Juwan Farri- who actually had 1,000 plus as a freshman and then sat out 2019) is actually a better natural RB- Obviously we have a new QB and Kenji bahar that year was top notch. Our WR corp is all back as is the whole O line. We have great depth at the WR position and 2 VERY good players who will be a problem for ANY team in the country (Lonnie Moore and Terrance Greene). After them a solid 4 more who will play and make plays. Our special teams are a problem for sure- meaning problem for us.. Not sure we can kick field goals, but that could work to our advantage as we go for it on 4th down if we are on the plus 45 or better.. Defensively we are a bit bigger and more versatile (depth) up front form 2019. We added a transfer LB from UCONN who looks very good. We have 2 very good corners and our safety play has been superb. In total we have 17 starters back from 2019 and a lot of those guys got better. And now we have a few new guy's seeing time and frankly I think our defense is very very good. Overall we are a better "team" than 2019 but 2019 we just had a couple individual standout players.. Like I said- there is NO DOUBT we are a very very good team. But is it a very good team that would win the Patriot league with ease and compete in the CAA (already have dominated the Big South 2 years in a row) or are we able to matchup against the best FCS has to offer which nowadays makes you able to compete with half the FBS. We will not know until tomorrow and it seems 90% of folks think we are basically just a good team who can beat lower comp and the non elite top 20 teams but when it comes to facing the elite we are not close. I really honestly think that is NOT the case. It really will all come down to what happens up front on both sides and we will all see it very early. Can our experienced, senior laden O line get some push and/or succeed in our zone blocking and can our D line get pressure on the QB-- up front will be the story b/c I promise you we have an elite RB and several very good WR's with the top 2 being national type good. If our lines can measure up I would say watch out. Really no way to know for sure until tomorrow. Las Vegas says this is a game as the spread is 9.5 which frankly shocked me a bit I thought Sammy would be 17 pt faves..

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2021, 06:32 PM
Tomorrow will be the moment of truth MUHA

It has yet to be seen if Big South good is parallel to Southland good

MUHAWKS
April 23rd, 2021, 07:16 PM
Tomorrow will be the moment of truth MUHA

It has yet to be seen if Big South good is parallel to Southland good

Yes it will. From a psychology standpoint I know we crossed the line of "happy to be here".. Do not forget this program STARTED from, scratch in 1993 and even though we played 1-AA we were glorified D-3 for years. In the early 2000's we started getting better players and did not even have scholarships until I think 2006-2007. We are STILL not at the full full limit!! Can you believe that? So just making the playoffs a few years ago was a dream come true for a program that when I played there in the late 90's literally could only dream of such a thing. There was a time not too long ago that it was a HUGE deal to beat a Patriot league team. But the success we have had and the continuity with the staff along with getting a lot of very talented players, many of whom had several FBS offers has brought us over the hump to where we now expect success and are not just happy to be there. We knew beating holy cross in the playoffs in 2019, although our first playoff win, was expected. The JMU game was areal eye opener b/c we competed for 1.5 quarters and then it became apparent we were not even close to the same level all around. I think that opened some eyes of the players and staff and IMO we have done a great job at improving some things since then. Obviously its only been one + year since then so one would not think THAT much progress has been made but I am a big believer in psychology and these guys are focused on the task at hand. Now if it comes down to hey, these guys are just THAT much better then us- Well then we have work to do and it clearly would be that we are just not talented enough to man up for a whole game. As I watch some of Sammy's games and highlights it appears they have some studs. The real deal. A couple d lineman who could be FBS guys and some playmakers on offense who are flat out great. #2 looks like a problem and damn you better wrap up that RB as his balance is off the charts. But again, this is not about moral victory anymore-- Going down to Texas and losing by 14 while looking like we belong is not something that will be looked at positively. We are coming to win and actually believe we will not just typical lip service. If you look at the trajectory of the program it makes sense. We went from no team to glorified D-3 to competitive non scholarship football to finally beating some Patriot league teams to beating CAA teams and then added limited scholarships in the NEC- as we added more and more we moved to the Big South and got beat up for a couple years then dominated in 2019 but could not compete with JMU> This is the final step towards the ultimate goal that started with a dream just 27 years ago- beating the top FCS teams and being able to compete for a national championship. And here we are on the eve of getting another chance to move our program up and see where we are at. If I were Sammy I probably would not be scared of MU either but there is a saying that "performance over perception" who cares that Kennesaw was "ranked" 7 we knew they were not as good. So who cares that people think of us as a non top 10 team. Perception matters little so now it is time to perform and change that perception for good. I really wish it was not against Sam Houston as they seem like they could be the best team but we would have had to play someone like that anyway so may as well get it first..

BNATION
April 23rd, 2021, 08:04 PM
Phrasing.
Haha, your not lying. Maybe it’s a dual purpose post. If you saw the waitresses in here you’d understand.

Puddin Tane
April 23rd, 2021, 11:00 PM
Rain better hurry up and get on out!

Puddin Tane
April 23rd, 2021, 11:18 PM
Yes it will. From a psychology standpoint I know we crossed the line of "happy to be here".. Do not forget this program STARTED from, scratch in 1993 and even though we played 1-AA we were glorified D-3 for years. In the early 2000's we started getting better players and did not even have scholarships until I think 2006-2007. We are STILL not at the full full limit!! Can you believe that? So just making the playoffs a few years ago was a dream come true for a program that when I played there in the late 90's literally could only dream of such a thing. There was a time not too long ago that it was a HUGE deal to beat a Patriot league team. But the success we have had and the continuity with the staff along with getting a lot of very talented players, many of whom had several FBS offers has brought us over the hump to where we now expect success and are not just happy to be there. We knew beating holy cross in the playoffs in 2019, although our first playoff win, was expected. The JMU game was areal eye opener b/c we competed for 1.5 quarters and then it became apparent we were not even close to the same level all around. I think that opened some eyes of the players and staff and IMO we have done a great job at improving some things since then. Obviously its only been one + year since then so one would not think THAT much progress has been made but I am a big believer in psychology and these guys are focused on the task at hand. Now if it comes down to hey, these guys are just THAT much better then us- Well then we have work to do and it clearly would be that we are just not talented enough to man up for a whole game. As I watch some of Sammy's games and highlights it appears they have some studs. The real deal. A couple d lineman who could be FBS guys and some playmakers on offense who are flat out great. #2 looks like a problem and damn you better wrap up that RB as his balance is off the charts. But again, this is not about moral victory anymore-- Going down to Texas and losing by 14 while looking like we belong is not something that will be looked at positively. We are coming to win and actually believe we will not just typical lip service. If you look at the trajectory of the program it makes sense. We went from no team to glorified D-3 to competitive non scholarship football to finally beating some Patriot league teams to beating CAA teams and then added limited scholarships in the NEC- as we added more and more we moved to the Big South and got beat up for a couple years then dominated in 2019 but could not compete with JMU> This is the final step towards the ultimate goal that started with a dream just 27 years ago- beating the top FCS teams and being able to compete for a national championship. And here we are on the eve of getting another chance to move our program up and see where we are at. If I were Sammy I probably would not be scared of MU either but there is a saying that "performance over perception" who cares that Kennesaw was "ranked" 7 we knew they were not as good. So who cares that people think of us as a non top 10 team. Perception matters little so now it is time to perform and change that perception for good. I really wish it was not against Sam Houston as they seem like they could be the best team but we would have had to play someone like that anyway so may as well get it first..

they have at least 2 that are FBS transfers. I think whole line made all conference.

katss07
April 23rd, 2021, 11:31 PM
they have at least 2 that are FBS transfers. I think whole line made all conference.
Yep. We have the best DL in the Southland by a mile, I'm sure it's top 5 in the FCS. They're impressive in many categories. Lead the nation in rush yards allowed per game or something like that.

Jahari Kay, a Buchanan finalist, highlights the SLC First Team Defense, along with TX Tech transfer Joseph Wallace, who is in his second year at Sam. Jevon Leon was the Southland Newcomer of the Year last year and he made the all conference first team. Trace Mascarro made the all conference second team, although he's clearly a first teamer imo. He's from UTEP. That's 4 FBS caliber players right there.

Combined, SHSU put 4 DL, 3 DBs and 3 LBs on Southland All Defense teams.

Katfan
April 23rd, 2021, 11:44 PM
Cole Kelly is better , trust me on that one!

Katfan
April 24th, 2021, 12:05 AM
Entire line and 1 reserve made all conference first and second team

BNATION
April 24th, 2021, 07:04 AM
Game day

Katfan
April 24th, 2021, 07:24 AM
Let’s go!

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 08:06 AM

I think you will find out during this game that SHSU has more than just a couple of D-Lineman that are studs and more than just a few playmakers on offense.

Looking forward to this game in a few hours. Should be a good one.

Daytripper
April 24th, 2021, 08:33 AM
Cole Kelly is better , trust me on that one!

I agree with you on this.

caribbeanhen
April 24th, 2021, 09:30 AM
I think you will find out during this game that SHSU has more than just a couple of D-Lineman that are studs and more than just a few playmakers on offense.

Looking forward to this game in a few hours. Should be a good one.

Ezzard WR

Any Monmouth fan should have to watch this guy before they make any predictions

Katfan
April 24th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Ezzard WR

Any Monmouth fan should have to watch this guy before they make any predictions
Hes banged up. Probably won’t be a factor today. 😀

BEAR
April 24th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Dang that Monmouth Oline resembles swiss cheese.

BNATION
April 24th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Few chunk plays but the D is suffocating this freshman.

katss07
April 24th, 2021, 11:29 AM
Touchdown Bearkats!

Crest for 6 on Sam's second drive. Ran right through Monmouth's defense.

BEAR
April 24th, 2021, 11:31 AM
Is the field soaking wet? We got a ton of rain here and my back yard is flooded. Thought it was there before it came here. The field looks dark on TV but that just may be the cameras.

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Is the field soaking wet? We got a ton of rain here and my back yard is flooded. Thought it was there before it came here. The field looks dark on TV but that just may be the cameras.

Just plenty of overcast. Field should be in good shape.

Bisonoline
April 24th, 2021, 11:35 AM
Question---I can watch this game on my laptop via ESPN 3 but cant watch it on my roku TV that via ESPN 3????

Serpentor
April 24th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Well you can't claim home cooking here with all the flags the refs are throwing against Sam.

BEAR
April 24th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Monmouth getting yards by bubble screens. Is Clint Conque coaching somewhere on that team? xlolx
It's how we used to beat Sam. xlolx

Bison56
April 24th, 2021, 11:41 AM
Terrible decision by the QB.

Serpentor
April 24th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Well thank you Monmouth, we will take the ball back if you're offering it to us.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 11:44 AM
If Monmouth had 10% of an OL they would be winning this game.

BEAR
April 24th, 2021, 11:44 AM
Sammy your play clock keeps freezing. It's keeping time but it's weird seeing it stuck on 24 seconds then the next number is 21 or 20. xlolx

dewey
April 24th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Question---I can watch this game on my laptop via ESPN 3 but cant watch it on my roku TV that via ESPN 3????

You should be able to use your Roku TV then go to the ESPN app. From there log into you account. Then go to the ESPN3 and find the game.

Dewey

CockyGeek
April 24th, 2021, 11:46 AM
What a matchup. Sam looks mortal.

gokat89
If Monmouth had 10% of an OL they would be winning this game.

So you are saying that SHSU D-Line isnt causing those problems?

BEAR
If Sammy would be happy throwing it 10 yards more often they'd be controlling the clock and wearing down the Monmouth defense early in this game...and scoring. Looking at the replays the Bearkats got guys wide open 10 yards up the field over and over again. Sure bomb it a few times and run it...but take what they give you a little more often too.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 11:48 AM
That 25% attendance rule sure isn't having an impact in Huntsville.

BEAR
Swiss cheese.

The Monmouth QB is taking hits. Yikes.

8 TFLs

JSUSoutherner
So you are saying that SHSU D-Line isnt causing those problems?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 11:51 AM
That's exactly what I'm saying.

xlolx yeah ok.... SHSU D Line isnt that good.

katss07
April 24th, 2021, 11:51 AM
It's sold out.

I'm watching from the outside. There were no tix left.

Bearkat04
April 24th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Don’t feed the trolls

Serpentor
April 24th, 2021, 12:01 PM

Still salty about Colonel Sanders eating your mascot?

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2021, 12:02 PM
The color analyst in this game is horrible.

FUBeAR
April 24th, 2021, 12:04 PM
No canine in this tussle...but if you overturn called targeting when the defensive player lowers his head, launches, and makes helmet to helmet contact, shouldn’t you just eliminate the rule?

BEAR
April 24th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Dang Sam. Don't like to score??!! xlolx

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Did they call off the targeting??

This must be an OVC crew.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Wish we could have played this Sam offense in the opener. Not even close to the same -- Schmid looks terrible.

MUHAWKS
April 24th, 2021, 12:10 PM
No doubt sammy has the better overall talent but everything Sammy has so far is unforced errors from MU- the bad snap on punt, the awful decision by our QB on the 10 and the BS reverse targeting call.. Long game and all that and we could still get worked, but EVERYTHING sam has is MU unforced error.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Where is this Sammy State World Beater Offense I heard so much about?

BEAR
April 24th, 2021, 12:14 PM
If Sam is only rushing 3 but sending 1 more in a delay and still forcing Monmouth to punt...then the Monmouth Oline is horrible.

But I don't know what's worse...the Monmouth Oline or the Sam offense. I mean Sammy...you should have more scores on the board by now....xcoffeex

Edit: There you go Bearkats. Nice run.

HensRock
April 24th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with the Hawks so far. Defense playing well. Offense just has a case of the yips it seems.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 12:16 PM
And with 1 run Sam completely doubles their offensive yardage.

katss07
April 24th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Where is this Sammy State World Beater Offense I heard so much about?
That doesn't exist. This isn't 2016.

We grind it out on the defensive side. You haven't watched a game all year yet you're always in this thread. Rent free. xlolx

dewey
April 24th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Big hole. Touchdown Sammy! 56 yard TD run.

Dewey

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 12:18 PM
No doubt sammy has the better overall talent but everything Sammy has so far is unforced errors from MU- the bad snap on punt, the awful decision by our QB on the 10 and the BS reverse targeting call.. Long game and all that and we could still get worked, but EVERYTHING sam has is MU unforced error.

56yd td run.... was that an unforced Monmouth error?

Bearkat04
April 24th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Clearly not many ppl have watched Sam play this year. Outside of the Nichols beat down they Havnt been fast starters on Offense.

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Clearly not many ppl have watched Sam play this year. Outside of the Nichols beat down they Havnt been fast starters on Offense.

Exactly

MUHAWKS
56yd td run.... was that an unforced Monmouth error?

It was not. I stand by my post- that you gusy have the better squad and up untiil then it was all unforced errors by MU- Kind of hard not to agree. We match up at every position except our O line against your d line and that is and will be the difference.

dewey
That #95 is solid! Good play on the run and the recognizing the screen and getting out on the bubble screen to make the stop.

Dewey

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 12:24 PM
give the punter an Oscar !!! Oh my that is a TERRIBLE CALL.

Libertine
April 24th, 2021, 12:25 PM
Nope. That's just dumb punt block technique from not one but two guys. You never ever dive straight at the punter.

MUHAWKS
April 24th, 2021, 12:26 PM
give the punter an Oscar !!! Oh my that is a TERRIBLE CALL.

not as terrible as the game changing reversal of obvious targeting.

Libertine
April 24th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Smart on the part of Sam's coach there. Don't even rush that punt, just get the ball and go to half.

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 12:30 PM
not as terrible as the game changing reversal of obvious targeting.

Go watch it again, it wasnt targeting.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

FUBeAR
April 24th, 2021, 12:30 PM
It was not. I stand by my post- that you gusy have the better squad and up untiil then it was all unforced errors by MU- Kind of hard not to agree. We match up at every position except our O line against your d line and that is and will be the difference.Actually, it was.

Monmouth DLman moved from C gap to B gap just before snap & LB stayed in B gap on flow vs. Inside Zone, rather than scraping over top. No Hawk covering C-Gap - unforced (mental) error by DLman or LB. Sure, the rest of the SHSU Players made solid blocks & RB hit the weak spot with acceleration & speed, but failure to even have a Defender playing C-Gap responsibility is an unforced error by Monmouth.

Prime Power
April 24th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Interesting game so far. Monmouth is actually doing better offensively than SHSU but they keep shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes and stalling drives. Should be a good second half. Also, these announcers are gawd awful.

katss07
April 24th, 2021, 12:33 PM
Personally. This was the game I was kind of expecting. Our offense has been streaky these past 3 weeks, and it may be our eventual downfall. Monmouth's defense came to play. Hopefully things open up in the air at half for the Kats.

Luckily the best defense in the FCS is putting on a show and controlling this one.

FUBeAR
April 24th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Go watch it again, it wasnt targeting.
https://scene7.zumiez.com/is/image/zumiez/image/Rose-Gold-%26-Orange-Round-Sunglasses-_293300.jpg

Yep - I see it now.

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Interesting game so far. Monmouth is actually doing better offensively than SHSU but they keep shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes and stalling drives. Should be a good second half. Also, these announcers are gawd awful.

Defensive battle I thought this might be.

MUHAWKS
April 24th, 2021, 12:41 PM
The MAIN difference is sort of obvious. The Sammy fans who talked about the D-Line well you were right! Our O line is not even that bad but your D line is just sick. Other then that I think Our defense is doign very well. Obviiusly they wont keep doing this well if the offense cant score or stay on field. We have a2-3 UNFORCED errors which really have made the difference here. The first score was a short field after bad snap- not saying sammy would not have scored anyway but going 80 harder than going 45. The QB throwing pick in the red zone took at least 3 off the board. I dont think Sammy can say "should be 21 or 28-0 but I think it is very fair for us to say this should be 10-3, 14-3 or even 7-3 Sammy. Sam has the better team for sure. Faster and overall better athletes. We needed to be perfect to have a shot and we are shooting ourslves in foot. With that said it is still a game. MU defense will need to hold. I am as optimistic a Monmouth fan as they come but just do not see a way we can reall get stuff going on offense. MAYBE if we get lucky, score on D or specials and a big play or two MAYBE we can get to 14 or 21 which would mean our D letting up nothing or 1 more score which is a tall task. Even then it would require perfection and luck for us to even score 14-21 from here...

MUHAWKS
April 24th, 2021, 12:51 PM
halftime stats - MU has outgained Sammy 158-118 and we rushed for more yards then you let up per game (stats wont show it bc sack yards and punt loss yards eat into rushing stats).. 20-10 time of possession win for MU. Its the turnover and unforced punt snap error that really is the difference.. Not saying it doesnt count and frankly im sacred of sammy blowing this open but we are playing right with sam-

Bearkat04
April 24th, 2021, 12:51 PM
The MAIN difference is sort of obvious. The Sammy fans who talked about the D-Line well you were right! Our O line is not even that bad but your D line is just sick. Other then that I think Our defense is doign very well. Obviiusly they wont keep doing this well if the offense cant score or stay on field. We have a2-3 UNFORCED errors which really have made the difference here. The first score was a short field after bad snap- not saying sammy would not have scored anyway but going 80 harder than going 45. The QB throwing pick in the red zone took at least 3 off the board. I dont think Sammy can say "should be 21 or 28-0 but I think it is very fair for us to say this should be 10-3, 14-3 or even 7-3 Sammy. Sam has the better team for sure. Faster and overall better athletes. We needed to be perfect to have a shot and we are shooting ourslves in foot. With that said it is still a game. MU defense will need to hold. I am as optimistic a Monmouth fan as they come but just do not see a way we can reall get stuff going on offense. MAYBE if we get lucky, score on D or specials and a big play or two MAYBE we can get to 14 or 21 which would mean our D letting up nothing or 1 more score which is a tall task. Even then it would require perfection and luck for us to even score 14-21 from here...

Very fair assessment. I will add SH has shot themselves a couple times as well. Roughing punter may have cost us points and obviously the wide open double pass that was missed

Bison56
April 24th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Good start defensively for the Hawks.

Bison56
April 24th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Ballgame

Libertine
April 24th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Dude went the last three yards on one foot. Nice.

katss07
April 24th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Nice quick drive by the Kats!

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2021, 01:14 PM
Is Schmid playing hurt? He looks tentative and throwing wounded ducks.

Puddin Tane
April 24th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Dunno, but he’s playing like crap

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 01:17 PM
halftime stats - MU has outgained Sammy 158-118 and we rushed for more yards then you let up per game (stats wont show it bc sack yards and punt loss yards eat into rushing stats).. 20-10 time of possession win for MU. Its the turnover and unforced punt snap error that really is the difference.. Not saying it doesnt count and frankly im sacred of sammy blowing this open but we are playing right with sam-

MU defense playing well. I didnt really expect anything else. I thought this would be a tough, low scoring game.

Kats O missing another OLineman with the starting LT now out hurt.

Serpentor
April 24th, 2021, 01:18 PM

Wouldn't surprise me the way their defender body slammed him in the 2nd.

Bearkat04
April 24th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Schmid got hit in the head last week. Uncalled targeting IMO. Finished game after a very thorough concussion analysis. I was there and they spent a good 15 minutes checking multiple things. But he might be a little dinged up from that still. Other than that I can’t think of anything

MUHAWKS
April 24th, 2021, 01:33 PM
stats dont mean ***** but if you did not see the score and ONLY looked at stats you would think MU winning.. more total yards, 18-8 advantage firsts downs, 30-16 advantage time of possession almost 100 yards rushing (just counting actual running plays) for MU and down two scores.. very rare to see stats like that when there are not multiple trunovers involved-

BNATION
April 24th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Not good.... Monmouth methodically moving the ball these last two drives. That 2 point conversion may be huge in a bit.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Schmid got hit in the head last week. Uncalled targeting IMO. Finished game after a very thorough concussion analysis. I was there and they spent a good 15 minutes checking multiple things. But he might be a little dinged up from that still. Other than that I can’t think of anything That explains it. He looks nothing like what I saw game one.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Sam looks like they want the season over

TheKingpin28
April 24th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Wow Monmouth really wants this game. Crazy 2nd half.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2021, 02:13 PM
If I were NDSU/EWU I’d just watch the second half of this game. Sam (up until that last play) was just porous. But they got the pick when it mattered

MUHAWKS
April 24th, 2021, 02:14 PM
this is a devastating loss- we absolutely belong here and this was a close game.. If only we had just done one thing better in the first half or not throw that awful pick in red zone in first.. But this is the game. Congrats to SAM! Hope to be back in the Fall.

Bearkat04
April 24th, 2021, 02:19 PM
this is a devastating loss- we absolutely belong here and this was a close game.. If only we had just done one thing better in the first half or not throw that awful pick in red zone in first.. But this is the game. Congrats to SAM! Hope to be back in the Fall.
Much love to the Hawks. You absolutely belong. The QB took a pounding and kept on coming. Best of luck to y’all in the fall unless we matchup again ha

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 02:21 PM

Monmouth defense is legit. This game reminded me a lot of the playoff game vs Chattanooga a few years ago.... a slugfest. I have concerns for next round with continued mounting injuries on the OL. A win is a win, no matter how you get it. Great game.

MUHAWKS
April 24th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Hats off to Sam Houston fans.. The few who interacted here are all class-- no ***** talking just real football talk and fans! This one hurts for sure but I promise you- You guys were not flat or bad- we are a good team! Really really feels bad b/c there is never a guarantee to get back here, gotta take advantage when can... The few day depression of it ending sinks in now! The days after JMU loss were horrible! sounds pathetic to care that much about an FCS team but when this is your passion its like coming down off a strong drug... But anyway- enjoyed the Sam Houston fans on here for sure, was a fun week and a great game. Best of luck and health the rest of the way. Go get us a "moral" win by going all the way! Cheers..

kdinva
April 24th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Kudos to Monmouth for a great, although heartbreaking, effort.

BNATION
April 24th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Good game to the Monmouth. Kids fought hard for 4 quarters.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Monmouth defense is legit. This game reminded me a lot of the playoff game vs Chattanooga a few years ago.... a slugfest. I have concerns for next round with continued mounting injuries on the OL. A win is a win, no matter how you get it. Great game.

Good job gutting it out at the end. But it's a shame -- you guys had the team to win it all on both sides of the ball -- not sure that's the case now. Defense will have to carry you unless some guys get healthy.

katss07
April 24th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Man, MU was way better than I expected. The Briscoe teams from a few years back dont win a game like this. Lotta fight in both teams.

Hawks moved the ball better than any SLC team this year aside from SELA did. 90 yards worth of penalties on SHSU didn't help! That **** won't fly against Eastern Washington/North Dakota State next weekend.

Respect to Monmouth. Defense was stout, offense got going as the game went on. Far from the route I was expecting.

Bearkat04
April 24th, 2021, 03:19 PM
This is the same type of game that we encountered 10 years ago against Stoney Brook. Maybe we underestimated them a tad and they brought it. Lucky to get out of that one with a W. After that we beat the Montana schools and ended up losing a tight one against NDSU in the natty and finished as “runners up” (some will get it).
Monmouth was good, especially on defense. Hopefully we iron some things out on offense and get back on track next week.

But we all know the narrative is going to be that Sam’s offense isn’t that good and that the Monmouth offense was overrated.

God forbid the opposite. But we have a chance again next week to change the narrative. Glad we will be at home

Daytripper
April 24th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Just got home from the game. The Bearkats are so very lucky to get out of that game with a win. The play calling by the OC was atrocious. Our defense was gassed in the 4th. We play like that next week and the Bison will embarrass us.

BNATION
April 24th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Just got home from the game. The Bearkats are so very lucky to get out of that game with a win. The play calling by the OC was atrocious. Our defense was gassed in the 4th. We play like that next week and the Bison will embarrass us.
Agree 100%