PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern Louisiana @ Southern Illinois

Daytripper
April 13th, 2021, 08:53 PM
I am very intrigued by this game. Two really good teams with a long shot at an at-large bid. Some disagree with me but I think SLU was the best team Sam Houston played this spring. SIU bitch-slapped the Bison early. I think both could be legit Top 10 in the fall.

caribbeanhen
April 13th, 2021, 09:50 PM
I am very intrigued by this game. Two really good teams with a long shot at an at-large bid. Some disagree with me but I think SLU was the best team Sam Houston played this spring. SIU bitch-slapped the Bison early. I think both could be legit Top 10 in the fall.

I would agree with you that’s Southeast Louisiana is the best team you have played this year

It’s almost like the committee is behind this game But whatever

we need more FCS games like this

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2021, 01:37 AM
We're glad to have an opportunity to keep playing, and whatever happens, happens. Frank Scelfo's vision is to schedule as many quality, non-conference FCS opponents as he can and when the opportunity for this game presented itself last week, we jumped on it. We've battled injuries like most everybody else, and we'll have to overcome playing an emotional rivalry game this past weekend, plus an eight hour bus ride on Friday, but we're looking forward to competing against a good football team, from a good conference. Who knows what the cards hold for the winner but both programs will be better for scheduling this game.

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2021, 01:41 AM
I would agree with you that’s Southeast Louisiana is the best team you have played this year

It’s almost like the committee is behind this game But whatever

we need more FCS games like this

SoutheastERN. I thought you had relatives in these parts? xeyebrowx:D

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2021, 04:47 AM
SoutheastERN. I thought you had relatives in these parts? xeyebrowx:D

Southeastern of course! I do LK2, which is partly the reason I can’t spell xdrunkyx

I have learned that Louisiana is pouring through my veins

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Southeastern of course! I do LK2, which is partly the reason I can’t spell xdrunkyx

I have learned that Louisiana is pouring through my veins
Then you eat well also -- or too much?

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Then you eat well also -- or too much?

Thinking about making some shrimp Creole right now, I’ve tried to make it before and it comes out OK but not mouthwatering Louisiana delicious

Bisonoline
April 14th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Thinking about making some shrimp Creole right now, I’ve tried to make it before and it comes out OK but not mouthwatering Louisiana delicious

Do you use white pepper and okra?

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Do you use white pepper and okra?

okra? I thought salt was white not pepper :)

Honestly, I’ve only made it one time and it was just some quick Google search so spill the magic. Ha

LionUp
April 14th, 2021, 04:39 PM

Honestly, I’ve only made it one time and it was just some quick Google search so spill the magic. Ha

Okra in shrimp creole!!?? Stop, please stop....Gumbo-okra, creole-tomato....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
April 14th, 2021, 04:45 PM

You have to make a roux, but dont make it real dark. Dice up 1 cup of onion, peppers and celery, and okra. White pepper, ground pepper, hot sauce, gumbo fillet, garlic. Chicken stock 16oz or more if needed. After making the roux put in the onion,peppers, celery. Sweat them out for 10-15 minutes. add chicken stock and Mix well. add okra and spice to taste. Let it cool and put it in the fridge over night. Next day warm it up and taste. Then bring to a boil add shrimp and crawfish. 21-25 per pond should take 2-3 minutes. If you are using chicken and sausage add it the night before. Serve over rice. Creole gumbo add 8oz tomato sauce and a dash of worscestershire sauce.

McNeese75
April 14th, 2021, 05:26 PM
You have to make a roux, but dont make it real dark. Dice up 1 cup of onion, peppers and celery, and okra. White pepper, ground pepper, hot sauce, gumbo fillet, garlic. Chicken stock 16oz or more if needed. After making the roux put in the onion,peppers, celery. Sweat them out for 10-15 minutes. add chicken stock and Mix well. add okra and spice to taste. Let it cool and put it in the fridge over night. Next day warm it up and taste. Then bring to a boil add shrimp and crawfish. 21-25 per pond should take 2-3 minutes. If you are using chicken and sausage add it the night before. Serve over rice. Creole gumbo add 8oz tomato sauce and a dash of worscestershire sauce.

xeyebrowx Come on guys. Just google "Kary's Roux" or even "Savoie's Old Fashion Roux". No matter how much you tinker with it you will probably not be able to produce a better authenic roux. But then again, authenic may not be what you are looking for. xdrunkyx

Katfan
April 14th, 2021, 05:32 PM
He’s making shrimp creole not gumbo. The secret to making a great creole is to deglaze the pan with a little red wine after you sauté your veggies and before you add your chicken stock.

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2021, 07:48 PM

This is awesome

Pure gold

The hardest thing about it would be purring it in the refrigerator overnight without eating it but I know food always taste Better after Sitting in the refrigerator overnight

Bisonoline
April 14th, 2021, 07:54 PM
This is awesome

Pure gold

The hardest thing about it would be purring it in the refrigerator overnight without eating it but I know food always taste Better after Sitting in the refrigerator overnight

Forgot 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour and vegtable oil or butter for the roux. Medium heat.

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2021, 08:10 PM
Forgot 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour and vegtable oil for the roux. Medium heat.

what about the spices? Cumin?

Bisonoline
April 14th, 2021, 08:19 PM
what about the spices? Cumin?

Cajun. I would also go online and look up etoufee. There are tons of recipes you you can learn from. Some make a roux first others having you add flour at the end to thicken it up.

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2021, 08:54 PM
Cajun. I would also go online and look up etoufee. There are tons of recipes you you can learn from. Some make a roux first others having you add flour at the end to thicken it up.

Will do

thank you for all the tips

BNATION
April 14th, 2021, 08:59 PM
Hopeful for a good game. SELA is a solid team.

Puddin Tane
April 14th, 2021, 11:21 PM
He’s making shrimp creole not gumbo. The secret to making a great creole is to deglaze the pan with a little red wine after you sauté your veggies and before you add your chicken stock.

the secret to making shrimp creole is to throw it away (not the shrimpies, tho.) and make crawfish etouffee

Oh yeah, gonna go with SLU, unless its still snowing in Illinois

Katfan
April 15th, 2021, 07:55 AM
the secret to making shrimp creole is to throw it away (not the shrimpies, tho.) and make crawfish etouffee

Oh yeah, gonna go with SLU, unless its still snowing in Illinois
Ha ha! I’m with you give me Cajun over Creole anyway!

Houndawg
April 15th, 2021, 11:17 PM

I think the only thing SIU will get from this game is a lot of pt for some underclassmen filling in for the injured. No idea who will QB except it won't be Baker who is out for the season

Houndawg
April 15th, 2021, 11:21 PM
Forgot 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour and vegtable oil or butter for the roux. Medium heat.

And keep it moving! (I've never seen a cajun put okra in gumbo, must be a creole thing)

Bisonoline
April 15th, 2021, 11:35 PM
And keep it moving! (I've never seen a cajun put okra in gumbo, must be a creole thing)

Ive had it both ways. I was just down in TX for a month and half and went to Baton Rouge and New Orleans for 4 days. I ate a lot of Gumbo and Etouffe
During this trip and not one tasted anything like another. Actually had etoufee with a peanut butter roux. Not one of my favorites. But passable.

Houndawg
April 15th, 2021, 11:56 PM
Ive had it both ways. I was just down in TX for a month and half and went to Baton Rouge and New Orleans for 4 days. I ate a lot of Gumbo and Etouffe
During this trip and not one tasted anything like another. Actually had etoufee with a peanut butter roux. Not one of my favorites. But passable.

I don't think there is anything they won't cook

lionsrking2
April 16th, 2021, 12:21 AM
I'm diggin' foreigners talkin' 'bout how to make roux and gumbo.

lionsrking2
April 16th, 2021, 12:29 AM
I think the only thing SIU will get from this game is a lot of pt for some underclassmen filling in for the injured. No idea who will QB except it won't be Baker who is out for the season

I think both programs will get a lot of out this game, regardless of the outcome. Obviously we both want to win and continue playing, but the bigger picture — at leas for us — is measuring where we are relative to other conferences. Only way to grow as a program is venture out and play solid programs from other parts of the country.

Chalupa Batman
April 16th, 2021, 12:32 AM
So that's why there's 2 threads for this game, 1 for the game and this one for cooking tips.

skinny_uncle
April 16th, 2021, 12:45 AM
So that's why there's 2 threads for this game, 1 for the game and this one for cooking tips.
xdrunkyx

Katfan
April 16th, 2021, 08:02 AM
I had gumbo at the NDSU tailgate once. It was very good!

Bisonoline
April 16th, 2021, 07:02 PM
I had gumbo at the NDSU tailgate once. It was very good!

Thank you!

Puddin Tane
April 17th, 2021, 08:42 PM

I wonder where they get shrimp in Fargo? Hope it’s gulf caught!

Puddin Tane
April 17th, 2021, 08:48 PM

Cajun food and football. One of the few threads that makes sense.

Houndawg
April 17th, 2021, 09:06 PM

Back in the day I played in a Cajun band that sang in French. La Porte en Arriere, Mon Vieux Wagon, Flammes d'Enfer.....opened for Beausoleil in Carbondale

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Made some fried Okra yesterday

it was delicious

did a trial run on the shrimp Creole (Little practice before I try online’s recipe which appears to be gumbo )

Was all right... a little spicy, I might’ve went a little heavy on the cayenne pepper

I ask myself why does somebody who grew up in Delaware suddenly crave fried okra

Well it was because my father used to make it for us growing up and his mother was born in Louisiana

Delhi, La near Beinville - GGF was part of the logging Boom, I think he went bust

I have more family Louisiana stories in which they kept well hidden from me

Katfan
April 18th, 2021, 10:06 AM
I love fried okra!

next you’ll be eating greens, black eyed peas and corn bread. Yum yum

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 10:16 AM
I love fried okra!

Funny you mentioned it. My father brought all that food up the Yankee Land too

Bisonoline
April 18th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Made some fried Okra yesterday

it was delicious

did a trial run on the shrimp Creole (Little practice before I try online’s recipe which appears to be gumbo )

Was all right... a little spicy, I might’ve went a little heavy on the cayenne pepper

I ask myself why does somebody who grew up in Delaware suddenly crave fried okra

Well it was because my father used to make it for us growing up and his mother was born in Louisiana

Delhi, La near Beinville - GGF was part of the logging Boom, I think he went bust

I have more family Louisiana stories in which they kept well hidden from me

My gumbo recipe is different. If you really look etouffee and gumbo arent really that far apart. Im going to try a different etoufee recipe today.

If am not correct there is also a difference between shrimp creole and etoufee.

ST_Lawson
April 18th, 2021, 12:42 PM

That's New Year's Day for my family...gotta have black-eyed peas. My grandmother was born and raised in the Ozarks of NW Arkansas (closest town would have been Clarksville, AR) and she brought a lot of that up with her. She made okra too, but I never got a taste for it other than in soups and stuff.

Houndawg
April 18th, 2021, 12:43 PM
That's New Year's Day for my family...gotta have black-eyed peas. My grandmother was born and raised in the Ozarks of NW Arkansas (closest town would have been Clarksville, AR) and she brought a lot of that up with her. She made okra too, but I never got a taste for it other than in soups and stuff.

I don't use it in gumbo but I like pickled okra

ST_Lawson
April 18th, 2021, 12:45 PM
I don't use it in gumbo but I like pickled okra

We grew some last year and pickled it. Gave jars to my mom and my sister (who both LOVE okra in just about all forms).

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 12:50 PM
Back to the real topic at hand. Congrats to the Salukis — other than the tough loss, we had a great trip, encountered wonderful hospitality and classy folks. I know both teams battled injuries all year but we chose to compete and give ourselves a chance on the playing field. Good luck to SIU in the playoffs! Well-deserved!

Bisonoline
April 18th, 2021, 12:54 PM

My wifes from AR and blackeyed peas is a must. Even if we are out of town. I really dont care for them. But with some hotsauce I can get a spoonful down to appease her for the new year thing.

Houndawg
April 18th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Back to the real topic at hand. Congrats to the Salukis — other than the tough loss, we had a great trip, encountered wonderful hospitality and classy folks. I know both teams battled injuries all year but we chose to compete and give ourselves a chance on the playing field. Good luck to SIU in the playoffs! Well-deserved!

This would be a nice ooc series with some major tailgate potential - all praise for going on the road to a tough venue. I have no doubt that SELA could beat anybody in the tornament on a good day. I assume your QB is going to pass on his last year and start making some money?

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 01:12 PM

LK2, any # 1 sightings on your trip up to the Midwest? I figured you might pass him hitchhiking his way home or something...

In all seriousness, I really liked watching your team this year (and last year) get healthy and patch up that D and maybe we will see you in the playoffs in the fall...

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 01:29 PM
This would be a nice ooc series with some major tailgate potential - all praise for going on the road to a tough venue. I have no doubt that SELA could beat anybody in the tornament on a good day. I assume your QB is going to pass on his last year and start making some money?

We would love to play SIU in a non-conference series moving forward, or anybody else from the MVFC for that matter. It's really an easy trip to Carbondale — easier travel than some of our Southland games. Very little traffic on I-55 with Memphis being the only challenge if you hit it at the wrong time — but even then it's usually not that bad. It took us a little over eight hours going up and that's with stopping four or five times along the way, including 30 minutes to eat. It takes considerably less than eight hours if you drive straight through, stopping briefly.

We can play with anybody in the country offensively. We're decimated on the defensive line and have been playing with kids who were way down on the depth chart and converted offensive linemen the last few weeks. We'll get five pretty good guys back from injury, plus a few coming in, so we should be much improved on defense in the fall.

Cole Kelley has already told our staff he's coming back. We could lose a couple of guys to the portal but I think most will return. We'll always be good on offense as long the current staff is in place.

skinny_uncle
April 18th, 2021, 02:25 PM
We would love to play SIU in a non-conference series moving forward, or anybody else from the MVFC for that matter. It's really an easy trip to Carbondale — easier travel than some of our Southland games. Very little traffic on I-55 with Memphis being the only challenge if you hit it at the wrong time — but even then it's usually not that bad. It took us a little over eight hours going up and that's with stopping four or five times along the way, including 30 minutes to eat. It takes considerably less than eight hours if you drive straight through, stopping briefly.

We can play with anybody in the country offensively. We're decimated on the defensive line and have been playing with kids who were way down on the depth chart and converted offensive linemen the last few weeks. We'll get five pretty good guys back from injury, plus a few coming in, so we should be much improved on defense in the fall.

Cole Kelley has already told our staff he's coming back. We could lose a couple of guys to the portal but I think most will return. We'll always be good on offense as long the current staff is in place.
That is one big old QB you have.

Houndawg
April 18th, 2021, 02:30 PM

Where are you guys located?

- - - Updated - - -

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 02:36 PM
LK2, any # 1 sightings on your trip up to the Midwest? I figured you might pass him hitchhiking his way home or something...

In all seriousness, I really liked watching your team this year (and last year) get healthy and patch up that D and maybe we will see you in the playoffs in the fall...

I'm sure 1 will surface somewhere — hope it works out for him.

I'm confident we'll be back though I think our league will be tough this fall. McNeese will be vastly improved with the transfers they're bringing in and getting guys back healthy. Ditto with Nicholls and NW State should be improved — we have to play all three twice, and they count as conference games. We'll play UIW once but it'll be on the road for the third time in four years. I have no idea what HBU will put on the field — all of their best players transferred out. We'll play North Alabama, Louisiana Tech and Nebraska for our three non-conference games.

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 02:39 PM
That is one big old QB you have.

He is indeed a large human. Our backup is large too. Both have starting experience at FBS schools — Kelley at Arkansas, Johnson at South Alabama.

Houndawg
April 18th, 2021, 02:41 PM
He is indeed a large human. Our backup is large too. Both have starting experience at FBS schools — Kelley at Arkansas, Johnson at South Alabama.

You could put him in the A gap on goal line defense

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 03:07 PM
You could put him in the A gap on goal line defense

He would do it if we asked him. Competitive dude.

Puddin Tane
April 18th, 2021, 03:32 PM
I'm sure 1 will surface somewhere — hope it works out for him.

I'm confident we'll be back though I think our league will be tough this fall. McNeese will be vastly improved with the transfers they're bringing in and getting guys back healthy. Ditto with Nicholls and NW State should be improved — we have to play all three twice, and they count as conference games. We'll play UIW once but it'll be on the road for the third time in four years. I have no idea what HBU will put on the field — all of their best players transferred out. We'll play North Alabama, Louisiana Tech and Nebraska for our three non-conference games.

to be honest, I’m gonna miss the SLC games. Aint real fired up over going west.

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 03:41 PM
to be honest, I’m gonna miss the SLC games. Aint real fired up over going west.
Lamar should stay. Doesn't make sense to leave.

Daytripper
April 18th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Lamar should stay. Doesn't make sense to leave.

Geographically, yes. But this is all about basketball money and future leveling up, whatever that might look like 5-10 years from now.

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Geographically, yes. But this is all about basketball money and future leveling up, whatever that might look like 5-10 years from now.

Not sure I get your point. The WAC is a one-bid hoops league. Besides, Lamar would have a better chance of winning the Southland Conference basketball tournament than the WAC tournament.

Daytripper
April 18th, 2021, 06:47 PM
Not sure I get your point. The WAC is a one-bid hoops league. Besides, Lamar would have a better chance of winning the Southland Conference basketball tournament than the WAC tournament.

I think they are assuming the WAC will eventually be a two-bid basketball conference with the combination of New Mexico State, SFA, and Grand Canyon having a legit chance every year. That is where the money is at. Lamar, Abilene Christian and to a lesser extent, Sam Houston, all can be competitive (especially if Sammy finally ditches Jason Hooten as MBB head coach).

lionsrking2
April 18th, 2021, 07:17 PM
I think they are assuming the WAC will eventually be a two-bid basketball conference with the combination of New Mexico State, SFA, and Grand Canyon having a legit chance every year. That is where the money is at. Lamar, Abilene Christian and to a lesser extent, Sam Houston, all can be competitive (especially if Sammy finally ditches Jason Hooten as MBB head coach).

Lofty assumption. If those programs continue to remain as competitive as they are now, they'll cannibalize themselves. I don't see the multi-bid model playing out in reality. But good luck — hope it works out for everyone.

Puddin Tane
April 18th, 2021, 08:49 PM
We just hired our point guard from back in the day when we used to kick arse, Alvin Brooks. He was on the team that went to sweet 16. Trying to breathe some life back into our mbb program.

As for football, nothing packs the stadium like a couple of teams from Utah. xrolleyesx

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2021, 03:13 PM

oline what is Gumbo fillet ?

Maybe I should just start on thread called creole cooking.....I don’t wanna upset anyone

lionsrking2
April 23rd, 2021, 03:30 PM
oline what is Gumbo fillet ?

Maybe I should just start on thread called creole cooking.....I don’t wanna upset anyone
File is powdered or ground sassafras, used as thickening agent for gumbo.

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2021, 05:16 PM

Merci y gracias LK2

I bet they don’t have that down here

lionsrking2
April 23rd, 2021, 05:29 PM
Merci y gracias LK2

Ha, yeah. I don't like to put file in my gumbo. We usually make chicken and sausage with dark roux. It thickens up just fine, though I like it more on the thin side.

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2021, 05:36 PM
Ha, yeah. I don't like to put file in my gumbo. We usually make chicken and sausage with dark roux. It thickens up just fine, though I like it more on the thin side.

no shrimp ?

I got five Kinds of farm raised shrimp I can buy down here, Authentic are hard to come bye

lionsrking2
April 23rd, 2021, 05:50 PM
no shrimp ?

I got five Kinds of farm raised shrimp I can buy down here, Authentic are hard to come bye

Nope. I love shrimp but not in the gumbo we make. Not a huge seafood gumbo fan.

Houndawg
April 23rd, 2021, 08:40 PM

Thats the style I learned, chicken and andouille, keep the roux moving while you're making it

Bisonoline
April 23rd, 2021, 08:51 PM

Plus it adds another level of flavor.

Bisonoline
April 23rd, 2021, 08:54 PM
Merci y gracias LK2

PM me your addy. I will send you some.

Houndawg
April 23rd, 2021, 08:58 PM

I've never used it for thickening, I just add a bit to my bowl with the green onions for flavor

lionsrking2
April 23rd, 2021, 09:22 PM

It does but not a big fan using it in mine. I do like file in seafood gumbo when I have it — which is rarely.

Bisonoline
April 23rd, 2021, 09:23 PM
I've never used it for thickening, I just add a bit to my bowl with the green onions for flavor

Same here except I put it in while Im cooking it.

lionsrking2
April 23rd, 2021, 09:26 PM
Thats the style I learned, chicken and andouille, keep the roux moving while you're making it

Yes, definitely keep it moving though you almost have to burn it to get it just right. Nothing better than a dark, “just right” roux and nothing worse to me than a roux that’s too blonde. All in the tastebuds of the taster.

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2021, 10:48 PM
I made the roix, its pretty dark and probably not thick enough

Ill let it sit overnight and then thicken up tomorrow if needed

also, have to Find some better sausage, but if I have to go to Walmart to find it I’m not going

Amazon Starting to sound like an option ....order some frozen gumbo and call it a day.

Puddin Tane
April 23rd, 2021, 10:49 PM
Grew up with momma either making awesome roux or burning it. Make it easy on yourself.
https://www.doguets.com/shop-online/doguets-roux-pint. They’ll ship it to your door. Getcha some Setexas rice while your at it!

me, I like darker roux, shrimps and crabs. 2nd would be the chicken and sausage. Got some places here that make really good gumbo, some that make dishwater.

love me some file too.

Katfan
April 24th, 2021, 12:03 AM

also, have to Find some better sausage, but NDSU if I have to go to Walmart to find it I’m not going

Amazon Starting to sound like an option ....order some frozen gumbo and call it a day.
Ok here’s my family secret for making chicken and sausage gumbo. My grandma’s recipe but I married a polish girl so we use 3/4 andouille and 1/4 polish sausage. The extra fat works well. Also recommend a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce

Bisonoline
April 24th, 2021, 12:08 AM
Ok here’s my family secret for making chicken and sausage gumbo. My grandma’s recipe but I married a polish girl so we use 3/4 andouille and 1/4 polish sausage. The extra fat works well. Also recommend a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce

Yep.

Bisonoline
April 24th, 2021, 12:12 AM

also, have to Find some better sausage, but if I have to go to Walmart to find it I’m not going

Cajun Grocer.

Houndawg
April 24th, 2021, 12:56 AM
Yes, definitely keep it moving though you almost have to burn it to get it just right. Nothing better than a dark, “just right” roux and nothing worse to me than a roux that’s too blonde. All in the tastebuds of the taster.

my experience is that its just right about 3 seconds before it burns

Bisonoline
April 24th, 2021, 01:14 AM

Peanut butter color for etoufee. Milk chocolate for gumbo. But not dark chocolate.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2021, 03:25 AM

I'd say that's about right though sometimes when I think I've burned it, it comes out perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Peanut butter color for etoufee. Milk chocolate for gumbo. But not dark chocolate.

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Katfan
April 24th, 2021, 07:27 AM
2 if you’re good. Ha. Actually it’s burnt it’s just a slow burn you must be patient to get it just right

Houndawg
April 24th, 2021, 08:36 AM
I'd say that's about right though sometimes when I think I've burned it, it comes out perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Looks like the real action may be at the tailgate Gumbo Challenge if these teams continue to schedule each other, and I hope they do

Daytripper
April 24th, 2021, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the AGS Tejun Cajun Food Network. Where you learn the finer points of FCS football and damned 'ol slap yo mama good Cajun cooking!

Katfan
April 24th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the AGS Tejun Cajun Food Network. Where you learn the finer points of FCS football and damned 'ol slap yo mama good Cajun cooking!
The 2 things I love most!!!

caribbeanhen
May 10th, 2021, 09:51 PM

Bisonoline, just wanted to report back to you on the Gumbo. I made my first batch loosely following your recipe and i must say it turned out pretty good, i did not add the shrimp or the crawfish (no mud bugs here) but did eat some steamers on the side. I wouldn't say the gumbo was great enough to feed a taligate, but i was surprised that it was even pretty good considering i was the cook. Seemed like something was a little off, like a little dash of something.... but everybody liked it and all of it was consumed

I will try another batch soon

and thank you to all that contributed your home secrets on Creole and Cajun cooking..... I learned a lot

Bisonoline
May 10th, 2021, 10:43 PM
Bisonoline, just wanted to report back to you on the Gumbo. I made my first batch loosely following your recipe and i must say it turned out pretty good, i did not add the shrimp or the crawfish (no mud bugs here) but did eat some steamers on the side. I wouldn't say the gumbo was great enough to feed a taligate, but i was surprised that it was even pretty good considering i was the cook. Seemed like something was a little off, like a little dash of something.... but everybody liked it and all of it was consumed

and thank you to all that contributed your home secrets on Creole and Cajun cooking..... I learned a lot

It will take time to tweak the recipe to your liking and see what works.. Im making a pot tomorrow for a fishing trip coming up. Im going to use some fish stock this time. I used it in some etoufee and really liked it. I get my frozen crawfish tails at Walmart. They may have them down there?

Houndawg
May 12th, 2021, 06:39 AM

When mine's a bit off its usually because I quit on the roux too soon, but I'd rather live with that than burn the roux and have to start over since it takes me about 40 minutes. Also, I have yet to try it but was assured by a Cajun bandmate back in the day that Tony Chachere's instant roux will do in a pinch if you are pressed for time. He said Cajuns do it all the time but you'll never get one to admit it out loud. Did you add green onions and file to your bowl?

BNATION
May 12th, 2021, 06:44 AM
When mine's a bit off its usually because I quit on the roux too soon, but I'd rather live with that than burn the roux and have to start over since it takes me about 40 minutes. Also, I have yet to try it but was assured by a Cajun bandmate back in the day that Tony Chachere's instant roux will do in a pinch if you are pressed for time. He said Cajuns do it all the time but you'll never get one to admit it out loud. Did you add green onions and file to your bowl?
Kary's Roux is as good as most people will be able to make from scratch. Just buy it and save yourself a ton of time....

caribbeanhen
May 12th, 2021, 08:32 AM

Don’t get me wrong now, I ate the hell out of that gumbo...it was good

file. Nope

Green onions yes

I did toss out the first roix, but the second one seem pretty good

It’s all about just fine tuning it a little bit