PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em Week *3--Spring 2021 (Colgate @ Fordham only?!?)

Fordham
April 1st, 2021, 10:23 AM
Colgate @ Fordham 4pm Saturday

Are there any other games? HC site says the game with Bucknell was postponed. Lafayette says the Lehigh game pushed back to the 10th. I'm guessing this is the only show in town for the PL?

Both teams really need this win to salvage the Spring. Colgate fans - what's the deal with the Covid pause you went through? We had ours earlier in the Spring which pushed back the Bucknell game and had us playing our first game after everyone else. Were you guys paused AFTER HC? If so, when did things resume? Can't be easy with those starts and stops.

Curious what to expect from Gate?

We looked very good throughout much of the HC game imo but were completely unable to come through in the clutch and we also got out coached. Our O is really solid this year and I would expect we'll have more success running this week than last. Our DL played great but we're suspect through the air. Special teams-wise, with the transfer of All PL Mevis to Iowa State our kicking game is a huge liability. Missed FGs and a blocked punt for TD really doomed us last week. I'll think we'll be tough if we can have that growth in game 2 that you expect to see most seasons.

OhioHen
April 1st, 2021, 10:31 AM
Bucknell at Lehigh was moved to this week (noon kick), so there are two games. Next week there are three scheduled (Lehigh at Lafayette, Holy Cross at Colgate, Fordham at Bucknell).

Fordham
April 1st, 2021, 10:44 AM
ah, thank you @OhioHen!! The PL website and ESPN haven't been too helpful so I went to HC and Lafayette's sites but didn't check Lehigh & Bucknell. Thank you

Obviously you have to go with Bucknell in that one.

I'll go with the Rams as well, since that's just what I do

OhioHen
April 1st, 2021, 12:24 PM
Colgate and Bucknell for the wins

bonarae
April 1st, 2021, 05:56 PM
Colgate
Bucknell

TheValleyRaider
April 1st, 2021, 07:43 PM
Colgate @ Fordham 4pm Saturday

Are there any other games? HC site says the game with Bucknell was postponed. Lafayette says the Lehigh game pushed back to the 10th. I'm guessing this is the only show in town for the PL?

Released by the League yesterday: https://patriotleague.org/news/2021/3/31/patriot-league-announces-football-schedule-adjustments-for-next-two-weeks.aspx (https://gocolgateraiders.com/documents/2021/3/29//Snap_Volume_5_2.pdf?id=12543)

So yeah, CU-FU and BU-LU for Saturday

Both teams really need this win to salvage the Spring. Colgate fans - what's the deal with the Covid pause you went through? We had ours earlier in the Spring which pushed back the Bucknell game and had us playing our first game after everyone else. Were you guys paused AFTER HC? If so, when did things resume? Can't be easy with those starts and stops.

Curious what to expect from Gate?

COVID pause was announced after the first game against Lafayette, a rather dispiriting defeat. Lehigh was the first postponed game, plus the originally scheduled HC game. Fordham is still as originally scheduled, but we'll move HC into the extra week. This was, to my knowledge, the only real pause the football team has had, though I'm not exactly plugged in, and they're pretty tight-lipped. Per the long-snapper, who has his own newsletter (no, really: https://gocolgateraiders.com/documents/2021/3/29//Snap_Volume_5_2.pdf?id=12543), it was "a positive case" which put three position groups into quarantine.

As far as I can tell, these are the only postponements/cancellations Colgate has had since restarting sports that were the result of a positive case in Hamilton. Everything else has been other schools cancelling for their own cases. Colgate seems like they have done a good job keeping up with protocols, though geographic isolation and a little luck are probably in play too.

Our only game so far was disappointing, to be sure. Not a very good performance, driven by getting outplayed on both lines. Some credit should go to Lafayette's defense, which is pretty talented, but their O-line ran us over as well. I expect improvement, but really hard to say how much. Games with Fordham can always turn into tough, tight games, so I'm hoping for some entertainment this weekend. The season has been a challenge, but all they can ask for is a chance to play.

ngineer
April 1st, 2021, 08:05 PM
With all the starts/stops/starts, some kids being ill and recovering, one can only guess what we're going to see on Saturday. Getting a chance to see how the newbies compete and work on some new schemes is the best to be achieved this spring. I can't imagine any PL team acquitting themselves very well in a first round FCS playoff game, against bigger/faster teams who have been playing pretty regularly for two months. Could even be dangerous injury/risk wise.

TheValleyRaider
April 2nd, 2021, 12:03 PM
Yes, right, time for picks. 2-2 on the spring

Bucknell at Lehigh Bucknell Only one game so far for each, clearly different results. Add in Cecchini probably wanting to stick it to the Hawks a bit, and I have a hard time picking against the Bison here.

Colgate at Fordham Colgate It's been a while since Colgate was on the field, but hopefully there is some improvement from last time out. Fordham had their time off previously, and got on the field only to lose to HC. Inauspicious beginnings all around! Really not sure what to expect from the Raiders, but going to be hopeful that they can make next week's (only) home game against the Crusaders meaningful.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 2nd, 2021, 11:53 PM
Bucknell
Colgate

Good to be back.

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2021, 06:27 AM
Fordham
Bucknell

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 08:29 AM
Colgate 27 Fordham 24 - This might actually be a compelling game. Slight edge to 'Gate in coaching

Bucknell 31 Lehigh 10 - This is a mismatch on the sidelines and on the field. The Bison are building towards a very solid fall; Lehigh, not so much....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 11:06 AM
Toledo transfer Wilkinson gets the start for Lehigh again...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 11:10 AM
Lehigh has taken their opening drive inside the Bison 20...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 11:14 AM
Lehigh settles for a missed 27 yard FG'

0-0 9:27 1Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 11:40 AM
Lehigh and Bucknell 0-0 after 1Q

Defenses controlling the game. Lehigh's FG kicking situation looks "dicey"....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 11:55 AM
Bucknell gets a 1st down on 4th and 2 at the Lehigh 11. Mountain Hawk defense still holds; Bucknell knocks through a 26 yarder....

Bison 3-0 4:50 2Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 12:10 PM
Bucknell 3 Lehigh 0 Half

A defensive struggle! Although, at this point Lehigh fans are simply resigned to "awful offense"....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 12:31 PM
Earl goes down in a heap on a non contact play...ugh...hope he's ok!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 12:38 PM
Earl back in...whew...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 12:47 PM
Bucknell benefits from an "interesting" call on a 4th down punt that gives them a first down. Leads to another chip shot FG. Lehigh's defense has played well under Gilmore but the offense is atrocious. Wilkinson has actually played pretty well at QB and the OL has done a decent job but it's amounted to nothing....

Bucknell 6-0 about 6 minutes left 3Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 01:02 PM
Bucknell 6 Lehigh 0 Start of 4Q

Whelp, it's spring football....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 01:14 PM
Bucknell 6 Lehigh 0 9:26 4Q

Lehigh's defense has taken some injury hits....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 01:23 PM
Bucknell punts, hits a Lehigh player in the back of the head, Bison recover. Lehigh's defense forces a punt on 4th and 6, get a running into a kicker penalty for 5 yards, Cech goes for it on 4th and 1, first down...Bison ball at LU 40 4:15 4Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 01:39 PM
Lehigh holds Bucknell on 4th and inches! They have to go 67 yards in a 1:27 with no timeouts....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 01:47 PM
Lehigh comes up just short on 4th and long, Bucknell will hold on for the win...

Bison 6 Lehigh 0 Final

Lehigh's offense is so bad; as bad as the defense as in 2018. It's hapless. Cech rotated Earl and Bitikofer all game. Bison limited their mistakes and did just enough to manufacture 6 points. That was an ugly game. Right up there with Yale in 2007 or so and Merrimack in 2019.

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 03:28 PM
Colgate D looks good to me overall. Ours does as well. Both offenses struggling

Fordham up 7 - 0 with 7 minutes left in the 1Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 03:35 PM
14-0 Fordham 5:51 1Q

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 03:35 PM
Fordham INT for TD. Wow, Colgate's O has really been bad so far

Fordham 14
Colgate 0

TheValleyRaider
April 3rd, 2021, 03:54 PM
Both offenses look disjointed, but Colgate in particular. Confusion, guys running into each other, tough to do anything that way.

Quite a few instances where the defense is running guys off late as well.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 04:08 PM
No matter how you look at it, Fordham is opening a can on the Raiders

Fordham 21-0

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 04:12 PM
We FINALLY get the running game going. After seeing what Lafayette did to Gate on the ground I was expecting an easier time running the ball and up until that drive I thought their DL was far outplaying our OL.

The mistake of fair catching on the 1yd line was brutal. I haven't seen a Colgate offense this bad ever. I assume there are alot of kids out due to covid or just opting out.

There also seems to be a Colgate player on D hurt on almost every other play. I think they are pretty deep into the depth chart today.

TheValleyRaider
April 3rd, 2021, 04:31 PM
Offense started to show a pulse, but twice stopped on 4th down in Fordham territory. Signs of life and all that, but it's a long way back from such a dire start. If nothing else, having the ball for a bit helps the defense, and not turning it over at midfield or in your own territory gives them a chance.

Raiders get the ball to start the 2nd half. Finally punch one in, and we might...might...have a ballgame

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 04:37 PM
huge 4th and goal stop to end the half. Fordham still up 21 - 0. Four Colgate turnovers were the big difference although I do think we're outplaying them on both sides of the ball. Still, the last 7 minutes or so of the 2Q were ugly on both sides.

Colgate looks like a team that's likely either dealing with heavy opt-outs or else Coach Hunt is experimenting with alot of different guys in preparation for next Fall.

Let's see how we do coming out of the second half. We were awful last week

TheValleyRaider
April 3rd, 2021, 04:58 PM
Unreal. A good drive spoiled again, just dropping the ball on the turf

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 05:12 PM
Unreal. A good drive spoiled again, just dropping the ball on the turf

crazy. You guys are moving the ball well now but the turnovers are amazing.

Fordham 24
Colgate 0

TheValleyRaider
April 3rd, 2021, 05:17 PM
It took three tries (thanks ref!) but Breneman finally got in, the found a receiver for the conversion. Late 3rd, but there's hope yet

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 05:17 PM
Colgate with a nice TD drive and the 2pt conversion

Fordham 24
Colgate 8

Let's see how our O responds

TheValleyRaider
April 3rd, 2021, 05:29 PM
Rams go right down the field and re-extend the lead. Good showing from the Fordham O, disappointing from the Colgate D

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 05:30 PM
Great response with a solid drive for the TD

Fordham 31
Colgate 8

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 05:42 PM
Fordham has become the league's ultimate enigma. They have a ton of talent but lack the consistency to profit from it....

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 05:53 PM
Fordham has become the league's ultimate enigma. They have a ton of talent but lack the consistency to profit from it....

Yep. Very talented on both sides although our ST are suspect. Today was great mostly because when we needed to put the game away we were able to.

Colgate looks like the Covid break really hurt them as well. Just rusty and alot of injuries today. I'm sure they'll be back and ready for the Fall season but today was rough

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 05:57 PM
Anyone know Colgate's worst PL loss in the Hunt era? Last 20 years? I know it's spring but it still goes in the record book....

TheValleyRaider
April 3rd, 2021, 06:05 PM
Fordham gave us some pretty good beatings in 2013-14, part of what made 2015's win so sweet (en route to the title, of course)

I think the margin is deceptive today, a lot came from self-inflicted errors. Rams deserve the win, no question, but they were not 30 points better.

It's been a sloppy, sluggish spring. Optimist perspective is that spring football is weird, having to pause did them no favors, and this will all be forgotten if things come together for the fall. On the other hand, last season was a very disappointing follow up to 2018, and this does not dispel the possibility it was more than a blip. Colgate's next two games are Holy Cross and Boston College, so this could stretch a little longer

Fordham
April 3rd, 2021, 06:16 PM
Fordham gave us some pretty good beatings in 2013-14, part of what made 2015's win so sweet (en route to the title, of course)

I think the margin is deceptive today, a lot came from self-inflicted errors. Rams deserve the win, no question, but they were not 30 points better.

It's been a sloppy, sluggish spring. Optimist perspective is that spring football is weird, having to pause did them no favors, and this will all be forgotten if things come together for the fall. On the other hand, last season was a very disappointing follow up to 2018, and this does not dispel the possibility it was more than a blip. Colgate's next two games are Holy Cross and Boston College, so this could stretch a little longer
Totally agree on the margin not reflecting how the teams compare. I also think it's very well put that there are reasons why this can be dismissed and reasons for possible concern. Still, I think Hunt gets a Spring Covid pass and you see how things look next Fall.

That said, Fordham fans are huge Colgate fans next weekend as it's our only possible path to the title game (I think)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2021, 06:17 PM

If nothing else spring season is a way to create some positive momentum or the very least create some legit optimism (Fordham and Bucknell would be those teams). Then there's Colgate and Lehigh who are riding an ugly wave of momentum dating back to 2019. The same issues keep arising and when those gremlins happen against conference foes the concern intensifies.

Lehigh is looking at a potential double digit losing streak if they don't beat Lafayette. A loss to the Leopards would stamp the spring as a complete disaster. I don't understand how Gilmore can recruit at this point. I don't see how he keeps the team believing given this extended run of losing and his less than still history as a head coach. It's a brutal situation on South Mountain.

Hunt simply can't sustain anything for whatever reason. He's shown the ability to assemble a one year team but can't establish a consistent culture of winning Hamilton. If he can't do better than 4-7 in the fall will the pressure mount? His record career record will be right around .500 if the Raiders struggle.

You can't measure success solely on the PL at this point. Colgate and Lehigh have always aspired for more....

TheValleyRaider
April 4th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Colgate's vision is definitely beyond simply winning the League at this point. You can see it in the way the school's leadership addresses athletics, the way they have aggressively scheduled OOC games (multiple FBS and CAA opponents). There is definitely a shift in the last few years in favor of improving athletics across the board. Women's Hockey, Men's Basketball, and Volleyball have all won league titles this spring, and there is a new basketball facility (or at least a big renovation for Cotterell Court) coming.

The strangest part is that our two "marquee" programs, Football and Men's Hockey, are the ones that appear relatively stagnant. Football has had runs (2015, 2018), but the increasingly difficult OOC schedules make it harder to get wins consistently, and that's assuming other PL programs aren't catching up (some clearly are, if not already passed). Hockey got a new arena, but hasn't had a winning season since 2015.

I don't think Hunt will be in any kind of trouble based on the Spring, for all the reasons I mentioned already, plus he is well-regarded as a good leader and good ambassador for the school. I imagine he would be fine with a losing record as long as the team came on strong at the end of the season and looked competitive against CAA foes. At that point, though, I suspect 2022 becomes key. People here are pretty proud of the streak of every graduating class winning at least one League title. If he goes 0 for 19/20*/21/22, I would almost there will be much more pressure. What that actually looks like is, I think, a more interesting question. Media speculation and large-scale fan criticism over job security does not exist in the same way, meaning pressure is all internal, and likely not something we will see until it is finished.

ngineer
April 4th, 2021, 06:39 PM
I was impressed with Lehigh's defense. It could be one of our strongest D's, as a complete unit, in over 15 years. While the Offense clearly has problems, we only had six available linemen on the OL for this game, and some playing in new positions. I have never been a fan of our OC. Decent guy, but I haven't seem much imagination. I think Gilmore's two new classes show some excellent talent. We had a bunch of frosh out there on Saturday making very good plays, especially in the secondary. The game was very winnable and a highly questionable call against Lehigh on a punt that gave the ball back to Bucknell resulted in their second fg. Wilkinson showed improvement from the Holy Cross game, but not sure that he is the answer. Will be very interesting on how much improvement there will be until the end of August, because that is now the focus. Yes, we want to beat Laughyette, and it's great to see how the kids compete in game situations; but this spring has certainly left a lot to be desired. At the point, if Lehigh can get its OL situation righted, then the offense has some skill players to make things happen; but the RBs need a hole and the QB needs time.