PDA

View Full Version : NCAA seeking bids for first round of FCS playoffs

nodak651
March 30th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Not sure if this is old news or not, my bad if it is.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/bids-sought-host-preliminary-rounds-fcs-playoff (https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/bids-sought-host-preliminary-rounds-fcs-playoff)

Bids sought to host preliminary rounds of FCS playoff

16 potential sites will be identified April 6

March 26, 2021 11:58amGreg JohnsonThe Division I Football Oversight Committee on Thursday approved a recommendation that up to 16 potential preliminary-round host sites for the 2020-21 Division I Football Championship Subdivision playoff be identified by April 6.
Host sites for the eight first-round games would then be selected from those 16 preapproved sites. The Division I Football Championship Committee created this proposal and is following the guidelines set by the NCAA COVID-19 Medical Advisory Group.
The deadline for bid materials to be received by the NCAA is April 5.
The rationale for this proposal was to ensure all preliminary-round sites are properly certified for COVID-19 testing and have adequate time to coordinate the necessary logistical and operational requirements. By identifying 16 potential sites by April 6, the committee is providing those sites nearly three weeks to prepare for a potential first-round game April 24.
Also, selecting 16 potential sites before the selection meetings mitigates the risk that a school may be selected to host a game without its team participating in that game.
This approach provides the committee maximum flexibility when selecting host sites during the selection process.
During the bracketing process, the committee will pick eight of those 16 preapproved sites to serve as a first-round host based on the makeup of the bracket.
The quarterfinal and semifinal host sites also would be selected from the preapproved sites based on the makeup of the bracket.
In pre-pandemic times, the higher-seeded team had the option to host preliminary-round games, depending on the availability of its facility, in the FCS championship.
The final of the FCS championship will be at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.

Daytripper
March 30th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Sam Houston usually bids high for hosting, but this year our field house and dressing rooms are being remodeled and are under construction and unusable. I am guessing that might disqualify us. When the construction began we had no idea we might be hosting a playoff game in April or May.

nodak651
March 30th, 2021, 04:11 PM
Sam Houston usually bids high for hosting, but this year our field house and dressing rooms are being remodeled and are under construction and unusable. I am guessing that might disqualify us. When the construction began we had no idea we might be hosting a playoff game in April or May.

Seems to me UND is playing at SHSU!

TheKingpin28
March 30th, 2021, 04:12 PM
NDSU will bid the minimum required and if they make the field, we know they will host. No way NCAA is going to leave that money on the table.

Professor Chaos
March 30th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Interesting. So if I'm reading this right there are technically no seeds??? Just 8 "host sites" chosen by the selection committee "based on the makeup of the bracket"???

dgtw
March 30th, 2021, 05:04 PM
NDSU will bid the minimum required and if they make the field, we know they will host. No way NCAA is going to leave that money on the table.

Would a dome be approved under COVID policies? (Serious question).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
March 30th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Money from the gate is probably less of a factor this spring since the NCAA seems likely to cap attendance at 25% (as they have done for all the championships played so far this spring and as they have said will be the limit in Frisco) for all playoff games. I thought I saw someone post something last fall about how expenses at places like NDSU and UND are higher due to not having university owned facilities than they are at places where the university does own the facility but I could be wrong. In any case the NCAA doesn't take 75% of the gross gate they take 75% of the net gate so expenses will probably come into play moreso than normal with the limitations on capacity.

TheKingpin28
March 30th, 2021, 05:23 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI thought NCAA capped how many people could be in a facility but nothing about indoors vs outdoors

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
March 30th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Money from the gate is probably less of a factor this spring since the NCAA seems likely to cap attendance at 25% (as they have done for all the championships played so far this spring and as they have said will be the limit in Frisco) for all playoff games. I thought I saw someone post something last fall about how expenses at places like NDSU and UND are higher due to not having university owned facilities than they are at places where the university does own the facility but I could be wrong. In any case the NCAA doesn't take 75% of the gross gate they take 75% of the net gate so expenses will probably come into play moreso than normal with the limitations on capacity.Even at 4500 fans, that's still going to be hard to swallow if NDSU isnt hosting the 1st round if they get in. It's one thing if they aren't a top 4 seed, it's another if they get outbid by someone else. I think Larson would have some serious explaining to do to the fans about that gaffe.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

lionsrking2
March 30th, 2021, 05:43 PM
I've heard that is indeed the case and also heard there's a chance a school that did bid could get stuck hosting a game between two other schools, should they not make the playoffs. Lack of bids could be a problem.

Katfan
March 30th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Can we host at another facility say Woodforest Stadium in the Woodlands

Daytripper
March 30th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Can we host at another facility say Woodforest Stadium in the Woodlands

I imagine that is a possibility, but it would entail an extra cost on top of the actual bid. That being said, the Sam Houston AD has not been shy about spending money on events (see the terrible postseason basketball tournaments we have PAID TO PLAY IN...CBI or some-such nonsense).

Schism55
March 30th, 2021, 06:16 PM
https://twitter.com/McFeely_Inforum/status/1377022094140190721

Coogkat15
March 30th, 2021, 06:25 PM
I imagine that is a possibility, but it would entail an extra cost on top of the actual bid. That being said, the Sam Houston AD has not been shy about spending money on events (see the terrible postseason basketball tournaments we have PAID TO PLAY IN...CBI or some-such nonsense).

I think there is plenty of options for stadiums for us to play in if we want to host. Prairie View might be willing to let us use their stadium. There’s also BBVA Compass down in Houston, or even Baylor’s stadium in Waco.

Daytripper
March 30th, 2021, 08:31 PM
I think there is plenty of options for stadiums for us to play in if we want to host. Prairie View might be willing to let us use their stadium. There’s also BBVA Compass down in Houston, or even Baylor’s stadium in Waco.

I would go with PVAMU or BBVA. Close enough for Houston area alum and Huntsville peeps. OR, just go with whoever gives us the best deal.

CenMEBlackBearFan
March 31st, 2021, 07:42 AM
Well Maine certainly doesn't have to waste any time in considering hosting a game as they don't allow ANY fans for any sports this spring. Too bad, as our last home playoff game with Jacksonville State was a blast:)

KPSUL
March 31st, 2021, 11:50 AM
Well Maine certainly doesn't have to waste any time in considering hosting a game as they don't allow ANY fans for any sports this spring. Too bad, as our last home playoff game with Jacksonville State was a blast:)

From what I've seen the only CAA North stadium which has allow any fans at all has been Meade Stadium at URI. JMU initially didn't allow any fans at their first two OOC games except for football family members. Since their last two home games were postponed it's hard to know if they are going to change that.

KPSUL
March 31st, 2021, 11:58 AM

You guys would likely be outbid anyway, unless Mr. Alfond left money to the University for bidding purposes. In 2018 you got homefield on account of your seed. Otherwise you would have been heading to northern Alabama to play JSU.

TexasTerror
March 31st, 2021, 12:01 PM
Surprised by a few of my fellow SHSU commenters about the Bearkats & bidding.

Figure that the local newspaper will cover this whether on their podcast or in writing, so we should know some more soon about bidding as it relates to the SHSU football program. Can't imagine the Kats wouldn't bid to play home football games and that they'd be in Huntsville regardless of the COVID situation, renovation or anything else.

melloware13
March 31st, 2021, 12:02 PM
From what I've seen the only CAA North stadium which has allow any fans at all has been Meade Stadium at URI. JMU initially didn't allow any fans at their first two OOC games except for football family members. Since their last two home games were postponed it's hard to know if they are going to change that.
Delaware Stadium had 1,800 for Stony Brook game, allowing 4,100 for this Saturday against Albany

KPSUL
March 31st, 2021, 12:17 PM
Delaware Stadium had 1,800 for Stony Brook game, allowing 4,100 for this Saturday against Albany

Nice facility, near major airports and currently on the short list of likely playoff teams. if you manage to get by Albany this week, even if the Villanova jinx continues, you should end up in the playoffs. Good luck, you should be a strong contender for some home games.

Daytripper
March 31st, 2021, 12:20 PM

Figure that the local newspaper will cover this whether on their podcast or in writing, so we should know some more soon about bidding as it relates to the SHSU football program. Can't imagine the Kats wouldn't bid to play home football games and that they'd be in Huntsville regardless of the COVID situation, renovation or anything else.It is my understanding that appropriate dressing rooms are a prerequisite for hosting a playoff game. I may be wrong, though.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Lorne_Malvo
March 31st, 2021, 12:39 PM
It is my understanding that appropriate dressing rooms are a prerequisite for hosting a playoff game. I may be wrong, though.

Nicholls can borrow their tent locker rooms to another team.

Katfan
March 31st, 2021, 01:15 PM

Figure that the local newspaper will cover this whether on their podcast or in writing, so we should know some more soon about bidding as it relates to the SHSU football program. Can't imagine the Kats wouldn't bid to play home football games and that they'd be in Huntsville regardless of the COVID situation, renovation or anything else.
They would, the issue is that with the renovations were not able to provide visiting team dressing rooms. We’ve used tents for conference games but do not believe that is allowed for playoffs. Anyway that’s what I understand. That’s why the suggestion for alternative home sites.

Katfan
March 31st, 2021, 01:16 PM
Nicholls can borrow their tent locker rooms to another team.
That’s why it’s called the “Nicholls rule” 😂

walliver
March 31st, 2021, 04:36 PM
I suspect that all bids will come in at the minimum and many schools will not bid. With COVID restrictions in place, I expect all games to lose money. They may not get 16 bids at all.

FBS and the College Football Playoff did OK due to TV money. FCS playoffs will be a major financial loss for all involved.

Daytripper
March 31st, 2021, 04:45 PM
I suspect that all bids will come in at the minimum and many schools will not bid. With COVID restrictions in place, I expect all games to lose money. They may not get 16 bids at all.

FBS and the College Football Playoff did OK due to TV money. FCS playoffs will be a major financial loss for all involved.

With no college basketball, FBS football, or NFL the only other major sports to compete with FCS playoffs would be baseball and the NBA. I would think ESPN could find room on The Ocho or some other network for a college football playoff.

JayJ79
March 31st, 2021, 09:00 PM
Interesting. So if I'm reading this right there are technically no seeds??? Just 8 "host sites" chosen by the selection committee "based on the makeup of the bracket"???
doesn't really say anything about whether or not there will be seeds.
it just kind of implies that hosting may not necessarily be tied to seed.
the "seeding" could still serve the purpose of having the bracket so that the semifinals would be #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3 should the game results be "chalk"

Puddin Tane
March 31st, 2021, 11:47 PM
It is my understanding that appropriate dressing rooms are a prerequisite for hosting a playoff game. I may be wrong, though.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

play em in new waverly

abc123
April 1st, 2021, 11:51 AM
They would, the issue is that with the renovations were not able to provide visiting team dressing rooms. We’ve used tents for conference games but do not believe that is allowed for playoffs. Anyway that’s what I understand. That’s why the suggestion for alternative home sites.

If it is, it is a new rule. UND dressed in tents at Nicholls in 2019.

Katfan
April 1st, 2021, 12:37 PM
If it is, it is a new rule. UND dressed in tents at Nicholls in 2019.
It is. That’s why they changed the rules.

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2021, 02:15 PM
Well, apparently it's a non-issue

https://twitter.com/Item_Criswell/status/1377689793891557382

dgtw
April 1st, 2021, 02:18 PM

If I am an AD and a conference mate only has tents for our dressing room, I am setting up tents for them when they come to town.

mainejeff
April 1st, 2021, 08:30 PM
If I am an AD and a conference mate only has tents for our dressing room, I am setting up tents for them when they come to town.

xbowx

Hammerhead
April 1st, 2021, 10:24 PM
I’m not sure how the NCAA treats indoor football stadiums but the Fargodome does have a good air handling system to clear the air during monster truck shows.

apaladin
April 2nd, 2021, 12:14 AM
With no college basketball, FBS football, or NFL the only other major sports to compete with FCS playoffs would be baseball and the NBA. I would think ESPN could find room on The Ocho or some other network for a college football playoff.

They televise Jackson St. every week so shouldn’t be a problem.

Professor Chaos
April 2nd, 2021, 07:25 AM
FCS Championship will be on ABC again this spring: https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1377915765085634563

Haven't heard about TV spots for earlier rounds of the playoffs yet.

dgtw
April 18th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Anyone else share my sick sense of humor and hope they are forced to have a playoff game at a neutral site because they ran out of teams that are approved to host?