PDA

View Full Version : Movin' On Up?

Pages : 1 [2]

89Hen
July 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
The concept that you guys cannot seem to grasp is that the move to 1-A is an all-sports improvement. What is so hard to understand about that?
The concept you cannot seem to grasp is we've been talking football since this thread began. If your women's volleyball team is better off in the SB, good for you. xcoffeex

McTailGator
July 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM
AND we get more exposure .

So does my toilet...

But look what I'm putting in it.

RaiderInTheZone
July 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
The concept you cannot seem to grasp is we've been talking football since this thread began. If your women's volleyball team is better off in the SB, good for you. xcoffeex

No, it isn't about football. It's another "Sun Belt vs. 1-AA" bashing fest. That's it. Nobody moves to 1-A in football without thinking about their other sports. No school does that. Our women's volleyball team did get better, but I said women's basketball (a Top 3 revenue sport) was drastically improved. And our men's doubles tennis team won the national title. Never would've happen in the OVC or with 1-AA football holding the entire athletic program back.

RaiderInTheZone
July 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Because 80% of the Sun Belt Conference schools do not belong in Division 1-A, in terms of support, finances, and especialy quality. While that is true of several other schools, the SBC stands out as having the most.

The SBC would be about the 3rd ranked conference in Division 1-AA, and most of the SBC coaches have to lie and cut 1-AA schools down when recruiting. Ask UL-Lafayette's coaches.

Who says we don't belong in 1-A? You? McNeese State? A bunch of disgruntled fans of 1-AA schools? Nothing you say or do will ever force us back down. No school in 1-A will ever go back down to 1-AA. But you will see 1-AA's leave for 1-A sooner. I promise. Keep on bringing aboard teams like Mars Hill and Presbyterian and we will see who is eager to stay in 1-AA.

By the way, thank you for proving my point also. Fans of 1-AA schools obsess over the Sun Belt in order to lift themselves up. That's why you guys hope and pray for the Sun Belt to continue to do bad. Essentially, threads like this are your versions of prayer asking for the Sun Belt to do bad so you can say you are still above some 1-A schools.

89Hen
July 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM
No, it isn't about football. It's another "Sun Belt vs. 1-AA" bashing fest. That's it. Nobody moves to 1-A in football without thinking about their other sports. No school does that.
xbangx HERE it is ALL about FOOTBALL.

BTW, UConn moved to I-A without touching their other sports. I just like pointing out that you were wrong on yet another claim.

McTailGator
July 30th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Who says we don't belong in 1-A? You? McNeese State? A bunch of disgruntled fans of 1-AA schools? Nothing you say or do will ever force us back down. No school in 1-A will ever go back down to 1-AA. But you will see 1-AA's leave for 1-A sooner. I promise. Keep on bringing aboard teams like Mars Hill and Presbyterian and we will see who is eager to stay in 1-AA.

By the way, thank you for proving my point also. Fans of 1-AA schools obsess over the Sun Belt in order to lift themselves up. That's why you guys hope and pray for the Sun Belt to continue to do bad. Essentially, threads like this are your versions of prayer asking for the Sun Belt to do bad so you can say you are still above some 1-A schools.

I think you will see my point the night LSU hammers your boys by 60 points and we beat your proud fellow Belch member UL-Lafayette, by 14+ points on their field in front of 10,000 of our own fans all yelling Go to Hell ULL Go to Hell - LAFAYETTE.

RaiderInTheZone
July 30th, 2007, 01:51 PM
The problem here is that by the NCAA definition, I-A vs I-AA is a FOOTBALL ONLY issue.

But it never is a FOOTBALL ONLY issue, and you know it. Nobody changes divisions in football without studying the impact on other sports. Any president who jumps to 1-A in football completely motivated only by football deserves to be fired.

Take the Missouri Valley Conference, for instance. The schools that play in that league that have 1-AA football probably shouldn't jump to 1-A and join a league like the Sun Belt or the MAC. Basketball in that league is very good and a move to the SBC or MAC would be a step down in those other sports.

RaiderInTheZone
July 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I think you will see my point the night LSU hammers your boys by 60 points and we beat your proud fellow Belch member UL-Lafayette, by 14+ points on their field in front of 10,000 of our own fans all yelling Go to Hell ULL Go to Hell - LAFAYETTE.

Keep talking. The last time we went to LSU we lost 30-14. I think you are just hoping for that to happen so you can lift yourself up. And if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet against the Cajuns against your 1-AA program. UL has gotten much better over the years and it's not like McNeese was setting the world on fire against undermanned Sun Belt cellar dwellers ULM in 2002 and FIU in 2004. But I admire your confidence in your team. You should expect to beat every team on your schedule.

RaiderInTheZone
July 30th, 2007, 02:00 PM
xbangx HERE it is ALL about FOOTBALL.

BTW, UConn moved to I-A without touching their other sports. I just like pointing out that you were wrong on yet another claim.

Jeez! UConn was moving their football to join a Power Six conference as an all-sports member. They are a rare exception to the rule. If you were a member of a Power Six league in all other sports and they asked you to upgrade football to be an all-sports member, you'd be stupid to stay in 1-AA.

In general, for most schools that will consider making the move in the future, they will not have a conference home on their first day of 1-A football. It's much harder to move up football when the other sports are uncertain.

89Hen
July 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Any president who jumps to 1-A in football completely motivated only by football deserves to be fired.
You're correct for once. It's motivated only 90% by football (9% men's bball and 1% everything else).

"What a gigantic day in the history of WKU," Hilltoppers athletic director Dr. Wood Selig said. "Competing at the highest level of college football will enhance the quality of life on our campus and increase the national profile and prestige of our institution. This transition from I-AA to I-A will represent a considerable amount of work requiring philosophical and financial support at the highest level possible from all of our constituents."

The other programs may benefit, but it's football driving the bus.

RaiderInTheZone
July 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM
You're correct for once. It's motivated only 90% by football (9% men's bball and 1% everything else).

I disagree with that analysis. Perhaps you ask the University of Delaware president what areas make up his decisions to stay where they are. By the way, UD is another one of those New England schools I have often thought would become an eventual all sports member in the Big East. UMass is the other. I think you may see the Big East football schools break from the Big East basketball schools.

henfan
July 30th, 2007, 04:00 PM
By the way, UD is another one of those New England schools I have often thought would become an eventual all sports member in the Big East.

Once on a visit to Nashville, a gentleman asked me where I was from. I told him "Delaware," to which he responded, "That's up there in the corner, isn't it?" xlolx

http://www.punchapparel.com/catalog/images/Mens_Delawhere-CatalogDetail_0.gif

Col Hogan
July 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I disagree with that analysis. Perhaps you ask the University of Delaware president what areas make up his decisions to stay where they are. By the way, UD is another one of those New England schools I have often thought would become an eventual all sports member in the Big East. UMass is the other. I think you may see the Big East football schools break from the Big East basketball schools.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Isn't Geography taught there in Tennessee? :D xlolx :D xlolx

OL FU
July 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Isn't Geography taught there in Tennessee? :D xlolx :D xlolx

He knew all he needed. Delaware is above the Mason Dixon Linexsmiley_wix. After that, New England,Mid-Atlantic, it is all the same:D

Col Hogan
July 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM
He knew all he needed. Delaware is above the Mason Dixon Linexsmiley_wix. After that, New England,Mid-Atlantic, it is all the same:D

xoopsx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

89Hen
July 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM
He knew all he needed. Delaware is above the Mason Dixon Line xsmiley_wix.
Don't tell that to the people that live in lower Delaware. :p

blueraiderfn
July 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Jeez! UConn was moving their football to join a Power Six conference as an all-sports member. They are a rare exception to the rule. If you were a member of a Power Six league in all other sports and they asked you to upgrade football to be an all-sports member, you'd be stupid to stay in 1-AA.

In general, for most schools that will consider making the move in the future, they will not have a conference home on their first day of 1-A football. It's much harder to move up football when the other sports are uncertain.

More 1AA logic...

blueraiderfn
July 30th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Because several I-AA conferences are ranked higher.
Because the Sun Belt is perceived as the weakest conference in FBS.
Because only the conference winner is guarenteed a bowl.
Because that bowl is the NO Bowl.
Because the FCS NC game got better ratings.
Because its not a BCS conference.

INCORRECT. Our commish has stated that we do INDEED have another bowl tie in for 2008, he just hasn't said which bowl...yet. More 1AA logic. Also, we've had TWO teams go bowling in three of the past four years. How many 1A bowl game have you 1AA teams been to? Let me see those tv stats, please...As far as 1AA rankings, we've been over that. Like I stated earlier you are ranked over MT, MT was ranked over Georgia once, so what...

SoCon48
July 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraiderfn
AND we get more exposure .

So does my toilet...

But look what I'm putting in it.

Dayum!

paytonlives
July 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
If you only average under 12,000 fans and the Athletic Dept seems strapped to make any improvements year after year then you are not a good candidate for the next level. Otherwise why not go play with peers that draw 20,000 plus and easily land 2-3 and occasional 4 star recruits. It's a better product being put on the field. Even the Mid's like the WAC and MAC. It's like being in a Conference with 6-7 other teams that could win it all in FCS. It's about great competition vs. lot's of wins. I'll take the 6-6 record, even 4-8 the first couple years to get to the next level (WAC)and play with schools that are closer to our peers than the Big Sky schools are.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

RaiderInTheZone
July 31st, 2007, 06:58 AM
Once on a visit to Nashville, a gentleman asked me where I was from. I told him "Delaware," to which he responded, "That's up there in the corner, isn't it?" xlolx

http://www.punchapparel.com/catalog/images/Mens_Delawhere-CatalogDetail_0.gif

It's in the Northeast. I really don't know or care exactly what states are considered the "New England States." In my book I say "New England" that automatically references the Northeast. I traveled all through that area a month ago. We went right through Newport and Wilmington. I remember seeing the University of Delaware signs.

henfan
July 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM
It's in the Northeast. I really don't know or care exactly what states are considered the "New England States."

The Northeast designation is fine (though not entirely accurate) but we're not even close to New England. In fact, Dixie's closer to Delaware in promixity than New England. Culturally, historically and otherwise, Delaware's never referred to as being part of New England. That's a new one!xlolx

andy7171
July 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM
The Northeast designation is fine (though not entirely accurate) but we're not even close to New England. In fact, Dixie's closer to Delaware in promixity than New England. Culturally, historically and otherwise, Delaware's never referred to as being part of New England. That's a new one!xlolx
If Delaware is New England, does that make Maryland the Deep South? ;)

89Hen
July 31st, 2007, 11:20 AM
If Delaware is New England...
I better work on my accent. :p

andy7171
July 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
I keep forgetting, is Lewes Clam Chow-dah red or white?

89Hen
July 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM
I keep forgetting, is Lewes Clam Chow-dah red or white?
It's Haw-shoo Crab Chow-dah... it's grey. :p

henfan
July 31st, 2007, 02:51 PM
It's Haw-shoo Crab Chow-dah... it's grey. :p

xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

YoUDeeMan
July 31st, 2007, 03:07 PM
It's in the Northeast. I really don't know or care exactly what states are considered the "New England States." In my book I say "New England" that automatically references the Northeast. I traveled all through that area a month ago. We went right through Newport and Wilmington. I remember seeing the University of Delaware signs.

I remember seeing "Graceland" signs on my way to Texas; does that mean Memphis is part of the Gulf Coast? xeyebrowx

RaiderInTheZone
July 31st, 2007, 03:32 PM
I remember seeing "Graceland" signs on my way to Texas; does that mean Memphis is part of the Gulf Coast? xeyebrowx

xlolx

No, because we do not touch the Gulf Coast and you probably saw those signs while you were in Tennessee, Eastern Arkansas, or Northern Mississippi. Fact is, the Gulf Coast is very distinguishable with a geographic feature--the Gulf of Mexico. I bet money people in other states outside of the Southeast and Northeast know that Tennessee is not a Gulf Coast state more than they know that Delware is not a New England state. New England is not geographically distinguishable and the only people who knows what's New England and what's not are people from the Northeast.

I can't believe you'd want to start a fight about something so ridiculous.

89Hen
July 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM
I bet money people in other states outside of the Southeast and Northeast know that Tennessee is not a Gulf Coast state more than they know that Delware is not a New England state..... I can't believe you'd want to start a fight about something so ridiculous.
xnutsx

OL FU
July 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
I have to admit I am looking at a map to see where Delaware is located and it looks like New England to me. Wait let me get my glasses............................Oh that's Rhode Islandxnodx Now where the heck is Delawarexconfusedx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
July 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM
Oh that's Rhode Islandxnodx Now where the heck is Delawarexconfusedx
xmadx We're MUCH bigger than RI... by at least a farm or two. :p

blueraiderfn
July 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM

All of that crap is northeast of Kentucky and that's all you need to know.

OL FU
July 31st, 2007, 03:51 PM

xeyebrowx From the age of about 5 after studying George Washington, I always thought Delaware was just a riverxnodx

RaiderInTheZone
July 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM
All of that crap is northeast of Kentucky and that's all you need to know.

I don't think it's crap. You know Semper (BRP) is moving up there, don't you? He's moving to Coxsackie, New York next month or so he says. I even hear he's looking at taking in Marist Red Foxes games and considering taking classes at SUNY-Albany.

henfan
July 31st, 2007, 04:18 PM
New England is not geographically distinguishable and the only people who knows what's New England and what's not are people from the Northeast.

Classic! xlolx xrotatehx

blueraiderfn
July 31st, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't think it's crap. You know Semper (BRP) is moving up there, don't you? He's moving to Coxsackie, New York next month or so he says. I even hear he's looking at taking in Marist Red Foxes games and considering taking classes at SUNY-Albany.

That was a joke...

blueraiderfn
July 31st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Classic! xlolx xrotatehx

Seriously, no one outside of the Northeast US knows exactly what states constitue "New Engalnd." Conn, Mass, and RI? I have no idea...

RaiderInTheZone
July 31st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Seriously, no one outside of the Northeast US knows exactly what states constitue "New Engalnd." Conn, Mass, and RI? I have no idea...

Since the Delaware fans are making a big deal out of it, we can rule them out. I'm assuming that New England constitutes, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine and possibly New Jersey, but I'm not sure on that one.

blueraiderfn
July 31st, 2007, 04:27 PM
New England is composed of six states, each with its own character. Connecticut, an easy day hop for New Yorkers, has exceedingly pretty villages with their central commons and steepled churches; cultural hot spots like art museums, Yale University in New Haven, and the home of Mark Twain in Hartford; and lots of antique shops in the rolling Litchfield Hills of the northwest. Moving eastward, Rhode Island, the Ocean State, offers spectacular sandy beaches; the mansions, vineyards, and boating of Newport; and the crackle of hip nightlife along the rivers that wind through Providence, the capital city. Massachusetts extends from the magnificent sand bluffs and beaches of Cape Cod and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, through the metropolis of Boston – the birthplace of the American Revolution – to the blue-green mountains of the Berkshires, home of acclaimed music, dance, and art festivals.

Vermont, the Green Mountain State, is the place of forested mountains, great skiing and other winter activities, and many small towns busy with traditional pursuits like dairy farming and maple syrup production. It is the only New England state without an ocean shoreline, but most of its western border is the historic and lovely Lake Champlain. Like Vermont, New Hampshire, the Granite State, has dramatic mountains – including the imposing Mount Washington – skiing and snow sports, as well as lakes, beaches, and lighthouses. Lighthouses are scattered along the rocky, picturesque coast of Maine, the state with the longest coastline due to it many coves, estuaries, bays, and small islands. As with the other coastal states, whale watching is a major draw for visitors.

New England entertainments include wonderful dining on regional specialties from steamed lobster to clam chowder to Boston baked beans. Shopping is unparalleled: parts of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine are home to large outlets. Throughout the region, gift and craft shops offer local products from fine furniture to gourmet chocolate. Lodging businesses offer options for every taste from lavish resorts to family motels, inns, and intimate bed-and-breakfast establishments. People interested in Colonial history can start with Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts and view many places where the Revolutionary War was kindled. If it’s culture that visitors are after, the region brims with art, history, and specialty themed museums. And the number of attractions and entertainments for children is staggering, from amusement parks to petting zoos. And don’t forget the luxury spas for road-weary adults.

As visitors from all over the world have discovered, New England offers every pleasure a vacationer could desire.

Man, I think I'll take my next vacation in New England. I love seafood and rural country side. Not to mention I've always wanted to visit an Ivy League univeristy.

RaiderInTheZone
July 31st, 2007, 04:31 PM
New England is composed of six states, each with its own character. Connecticut, an easy day hop for New Yorkers, has exceedingly pretty villages with their central commons and steepled churches; cultural hot spots like art museums, Yale University in New Haven, and the home of Mark Twain in Hartford; and lots of antique shops in the rolling Litchfield Hills of the northwest. Moving eastward, Rhode Island, the Ocean State, offers spectacular sandy beaches; the mansions, vineyards, and boating of Newport; and the crackle of hip nightlife along the rivers that wind through Providence, the capital city. Massachusetts extends from the magnificent sand bluffs and beaches of Cape Cod and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, through the metropolis of Boston – the birthplace of the American Revolution – to the blue-green mountains of the Berkshires, home of acclaimed music, dance, and art festivals.

Vermont, the Green Mountain State, is the place of forested mountains, great skiing and other winter activities, and many small towns busy with traditional pursuits like dairy farming and maple syrup production. It is the only New England state without an ocean shoreline, but most of its western border is the historic and lovely Lake Champlain. Like Vermont, New Hampshire, the Granite State, has dramatic mountains – including the imposing Mount Washington – skiing and snow sports, as well as lakes, beaches, and lighthouses. Lighthouses are scattered along the rocky, picturesque coast of Maine, the state with the longest coastline due to it many coves, estuaries, bays, and small islands. As with the other coastal states, whale watching is a major draw for visitors.

New England entertainments include wonderful dining on regional specialties from steamed lobster to clam chowder to Boston baked beans. Shopping is unparalleled: parts of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine are home to large outlets. Throughout the region, gift and craft shops offer local products from fine furniture to gourmet chocolate. Lodging businesses offer options for every taste from lavish resorts to family motels, inns, and intimate bed-and-breakfast establishments. People interested in Colonial history can start with Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts and view many places where the Revolutionary War was kindled. If it’s culture that visitors are after, the region brims with art, history, and specialty themed museums. And the number of attractions and entertainments for children is staggering, from amusement parks to petting zoos. And don’t forget the luxury spas for road-weary adults.

As visitors from all over the world have discovered, New England offers every pleasure a vacationer could desire.

Man, I think I'll take my next vacation in New England. I love seafood and rural country side. Not to mention I've always wanted to visit an Ivy League univeristy.

After I posted my thoughts, I was beginning to doubt that New York was a New England state too. Dang, New England sure is small.

blueraiderfn
July 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Maine is pretty big...The New Hampshire guys talk weird (unlike us Southerners). I was in the Army with several guys from that area. They can't speak Southern. I had to translate if we went anywhere.xeyebrowx

blueraiderfn
July 31st, 2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.nelabc.org/site_images/New_England_Map_detail_large.gif

mrklean
July 31st, 2007, 05:00 PM
i'm hoping App State announces something in a few years about the feesability of moving to FBS (IA). The main problem here is what conference we would be able to go to. The Sunbelt is an option however, geographically it doesn't make any sense unless they split the conference into seperate divisions. I wish Georgia Southern, UTC, Coastal, and a few others would consider forming a conference. I've heard that UNCC has discussed bringing football to their program which would give us another team in the conference. anyway, i'm not complaining about FCS. In fact, i love the playoff system and not just because App has been winning in the playoffs, but because their is no discussion at the end of the year about who SHOULD have won the national title.

I agree, GSU and Appt. State should move up to IA....SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoCon48
August 1st, 2007, 08:48 AM
As long as it's not the Sun Belch.

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
You guys are kidding about not knowing what states are considered New England, right? Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey are Northeastern states but not New England. Maryland and Delaware comprise the Mid-Atlantic. Virginia on down is the South.

dbackjon
August 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
You guys are kidding about not knowing what states are considered New England, right? Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey are Northeastern states but not New England. Maryland and Delaware comprise the Mid-Atlantic. Virginia on down is the South.

Probably not, since they are MTSU students/grads...;)

BearsCountry
August 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM

Heck a Sun Belt East Division of:
App State
Georgia Southern
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky
Florida Atlantic
Florida International

That wouldnt be too bad at all. Other than losing playing Furman and maybe UTC or Western Carolina, I dont see where they would lose anything at all by moving up.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM
I know which states are in New England but I always thought that NY and PA were Mid-Atlanticxnodx not just Northeast.

blueraiderfn
August 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM

No, I've never been to the area. As a matter of fact, I asked a young lady that I work with that is from Connecticut that didn't know either. I'm not overly concerned about it. I have a great job as an analytical chemist and I am doing well in life without the knowledge. I'm certain that many people don't know that states that constitute "Appalachia," but it doesn't mean that had an inferior education. I guess if I were still in my 20's (when I knew everything like most 20 somethings), I would have known...xsmiley_wix

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM
I'm certain that many people don't know that states that constitute "Appalachia," but it doesn't mean that had an inferior education.
Actually, not knowing anything about "Appalachia" may indicate a superior education. xeyebrowx :p :D

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Actually, not knowing anything about "Appalachia" may indicate a superior education. xeyebrowx :p :D

I guess it would be interesting to know which states constitute Appalachia since the mountains run from Alabama to Nova Scotiaxeekx

blueraiderfn
August 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
I guess it would be interesting to know which states constitute Appalachia since the mountains run from Alabama to Nova Scotiaxeekx

Actually the Appalachia Mountains extend to Canada. The region known as "Appalachia" extends from New York To Alabama.xeekx xeekx

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 12:43 PM

Actually the Appalachia Mountains extend to Canada. The region known as "Appalachia" extends from New York To Alabama.xeekx xeekx
Uhhh, nevermind. xrotatehx

mcveyrl
August 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Uhhh, nevermind. xrotatehx

No, go ahead. It must be said...

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM
No, go ahead. It must be said...
Hopefully he can figure it out.

RaiderInTheZone
August 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM
Actually the Appalachian Mountains extend to Canada. The region known as "Appalachia" extends from New York To Alabama.xeekx xeekx

You are saying that the mountain range itself extends from Alabama to Canada, but the U.S. region known as "Appalachia" does not include the Canadian provinces.

Applachian Mountains--a geographic feature (mountains that extend from Alabama to Canada)
Appalachia--a U.S. geographic region comprised of states in which the Appalachian range is a part of

I see what you are saying.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
After a little research, the moutains extend to Newfoundland, not Nova Scotia. xnodx

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
You are saying that the mountain range itself extends from Alabama to Canada, but the U.S. region known as "Appalachia" does not include the Canadian provinces.

Applachian Mountains--a geographic feature (mountains that extend from Alabama to Canada)
Appalachia--a U.S. geographic region comprised of states in which the Appalachian range is a part of

Well if that is the case, it Appalachia would include New England. xnodx

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachia

Wikipedia says you are correctxnodx

According to that map, I live in Appalachia.

blueraiderfn
August 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM

Yes, we were talking about a "region" known as New England. I thought it would be self explanatory.xoopsx

andy7171
August 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
I thought Appalacia was defined by the ability to play dueling banjos.

ChooChoo
August 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM
Pure underground PM talk, but according to people who claim to be in the know, a new 1-A is in the works by at least 1 C-USA east member, a Big South member, a CAA member, and a Southern Conference member.
Don't shoot the messenger, just tellin ya what I heard.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM
Pure underground PM talk, but according to people who claim to be in the know, a new 1-A is in the works by at least 1 C-USA east member, a Big South member, a CAA member, and a Southern Conference member.

xeyebrowx East Carolina ( although I really have no clue since I don't know who is in C_USA besides ECU) , Liberty ( and I only pick them because they have said they are going I-A), JMU and ASU.

If it is true those would be my guesses.

henfan
August 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM

I'm assuming this is an all-sports conference with members willing bite the revenue-sharing/access bullet by foregoing automatic NCAA bids until the conference waiting period is satisfied? xsmhx

Not shooting the messenger, but it just sounds extremely far-fetched.

RaiderInTheZone
August 1st, 2007, 02:38 PM
xeyebrowx East Carolina (although I really have no clue since I don't know who is in C_USA besides ECU) , Liberty ( and I only pick them because they have said they are going I-A), JMU and ASU.

Indeed. East Carolina, Liberty (although I can't imagine why a school like ECU would EVER wanted to be associated with a Big South school), Appalachian State, and James Madison is probable. I would expect that CAA school to be closer to the Blue Ridge region--possibly Old Dominion who is beginning football.

ChooChoo
August 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
xeyebrowx East Carolina ( although I really have no clue since I don't know who is in C_USA besides ECU) , Liberty ( and I only pick them because they have said they are going I-A), JMU and ASU.

Well, your half right, but obviously there will be more than 4 members.

I'm assuming this is an all-sports conference with members willing bite the revenue-sharing/access bullet by foregoing automatic NCAA bids until the conference waiting period is satisfied? xsmhx

Not shooting the messenger, but it just sounds extremely far-fetched.

I agree completely, BUT if you want to create a more regional conference for rivalries sake, save big bucks in escalating travel costs, and remain in FBS, you gotta start somewhere.
Better sooner than later.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM
Well, your half right, but obviously there will be more than 4 members.

I agree completely, BUT if you want to create a more regional conference for rivalries sake, save big bucks in escalating travel costs, and remain in FBS, you gotta start somewhere.

Well if you are going to start wild ass rumors at least tell me which half I got right:p xlolx

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
James Madison is probable. I would expect that CAA school to be closer to the Blue Ridge region--possibly Old Dominion who is beginning football.
FWIW, JMU is in the middle of the Blue Ridge, ODU is coastal VA as far away from the Blue Ridge as you can get in state.

mcveyrl
August 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM
FWIW, JMU is in the middle of the Blue Ridge, ODU is coastal VA as far away from the Blue Ridge as you can get in state.

You are correct, sir!

BearsCountry
August 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Georgia Southern and Georgia State

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Georgia Southern and Georgia State

I would be surprised if GSU was headed in that direction at this point. Now the only reason I say that is that all the GSU fan's seem to believe that Sam has no intention of moving to I-A.

SoCon48
August 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM
I thought Appalacia was defined by the ability to play dueling banjos.

Don't know about the definition, but it's spelled "Appalachia."

henfan
August 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM

Not knowing any of the rumored details, my initial impression is that someone is peddling you a load of crap.xliarx

I'm just doubting that schools would cut off their noses to save their faces. I just don't see any big bang there. Giving up NCAA access & revenues, even for a short time, is almost unthinkable. It's an intentional impediment introduced by the NCAA to prevent new conferences from forming at a whim.

Just curious how many D-I schools over the years have voluntarily given up auto-bid access for several years simply to join a new conference. It's just not that easy to do.

bandit
August 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
I can't imagine a new FBS conference unless it is football only. I don't see the schools who are capable of moving to FBS abandoning their traditional rivals in the CAA, Southern Conference, etc unless the new membership is really attractive as an all-sports entity.

It's farfetched because you would need numerous FCS schools to co-ordinate and make the move at the same time, and it's not easy for one school to do it, let alone several.

Still, something like this could certainly be an attractive FBS conference one day:

Temple
Delaware
James Madison
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Charlotte
Georgia State
Georgia Southern

maybe East Carolina could be tempted by such a lineup? Who knows, it seems really far-fetched to me.

I'd enjoy it, though :)

ChooChoo
August 1st, 2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to let it just hang. Yall are probably right. It's more than likely a rumor. I mean Coastal Carolina was in the line-up. It can't be right can it?xsmiley_wix

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to let it just hang. Yall are probably right. It's more than likely a rumor. I mean Coastal Carolina was in the line-up. It can't be right can it?xsmiley_wix

I thought about Coastal. I do think that Coastal is a real possibility down the road for I-A. But I can't see it now or in the relatively near future.

RaiderInTheZone
August 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

I thought James Madison was in or close to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I remember passing James Madison's campus and seeing their football stadium during my tour of New England at the end of June. I remember telling my cousin who was with me about JMU and the Adair twins that plays for the women's basketball team there. We did travel mostly at night and 16+ hours on the road and over a dozen college towns visited, it's possible I might be confused.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
I thought James Madison was in or close to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I remember passing James Madison's campus and seeing their football stadium during my tour of New England at the end of June. I remember telling my cousin who was with me about JMU and the Adair twins that plays for the women's basketball team there. We did travel mostly at night and 16+ hours on the road and over a dozen college towns visited, it's possible I might be confused.

Correct town, wrong statexnodx

andy7171
August 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
Harrisburg is in PA, Harrisonburg is in VA.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Harrisburg is in PA, Harrisonburg is in VA.

Oh crap, where is the delete buttonxlolx

RaiderInTheZone
August 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
Correct town, wrong statexnodx

xlolx There you go. And my guess it's on that long as hell stretch from Bristol to Winchester that goes through Blacksburg and I believe Norfolk. I just remember having to endure 65 miles per hour speed limits when I'm used to going 70 on the interstate here in Tennessee and wondering how long it was going to be before we were out of the state of Virginia. That leg of our trip was at night and hard to endure. We were so thankful to see the state welcoming sign of West Virginia.

Of course, now Virginians have it rough because the law enforcement there is trying to literally screw them over in fines (in the thousands of dollars) for committing petty traffic violations such as speeding (even 5 miles over) or littering or driving without a license or suspended license. It's my understanding that Virginians are trying to petition against their state government to overturn those ridiculous laws that they passed back on July 1st.

mcveyrl
August 2nd, 2007, 07:43 AM
xlolx There you go. And my guess it's on that long as hell stretch from Bristol to Winchester that goes through Blacksburg and I believe Norfolk. I just remember having to endure 65 miles per hour speed limits when I'm used to going 70 on the interstate here in Tennessee and wondering how long it was going to be before we were out of the state of Virginia. That leg of our trip was at night and hard to endure. We were so thankful to see the state welcoming sign of West Virginia.

Of course, now Virginians have it rough because the law enforcement there is trying to literally screw them over in fines (in the thousands of dollars) for committing petty traffic violations such as speeding (even 5 miles over) or littering or driving without a license or suspended license. It's my understanding that Virginians are trying to petition against their state government to overturn those ridiculous laws that they passed back on July 1st.

Not to turn this into a Virginia geography thread, but you are correct about the stretch from Bristol to Winchester, but Norfolk is on the other side of the state.

Also, those traffic laws are insane.

RaiderInTheZone
August 2nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Not to turn this into a Virginia geography thread, but you are correct about the stretch from Bristol to Winchester, but Norfolk is on the other side of the state.

Also, those traffic laws are insane.

I don't know why I said Norfolk. I meant Roanoke. On our way back we went through Norfolk and down the interstate toward Richmond where we got lost trying to find an interstate connection from Richmond to Bristol. Lo and behold, there isn't one! We decided against going to Durham so we took I think it was Hwy 58 that took us across the southern edge of Virginia through towns like Danville, Independence, and Hilltop.

mcveyrl
August 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
I don't know why I said Norfolk. I meant Roanoke. On our way back we went through Norfolk and down the interstate toward Richmond where we got lost trying to find an interstate connection from Richmond to Bristol. Lo and behold, there isn't one! We decided against going to Durham so we took I think it was Hwy 58 that took us across the southern edge of Virginia through towns like Danville, Independence, and Hilltop.

Yea, I once tried to take that route from Norfolk to Bristol. Not advisable...

Just to stay on topic, I hope JMU doesn't move up.:D

terrierbob
August 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Since this is from Wikipedia, you know it's right:

The range is mostly located in the United States but extends into southeastern Canada, forming a zone, from 100 to 300 miles (160 to 480 km) wide, running from the island of Newfoundland 1,500 miles (2,400 km) south-westward to central Alabama in the United States (with foothills in northeastern Mississippi).

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
NP. JMU is on I-81 in Harrisonburg, VA on the west side of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can see the stadium from the highway, matter of fact I usually park on the east side of I-81 and walk through the tunnel to the stadium. There's really nothing close to Harrisonburg, it's kinda in the middle of nowhere, which IMO makes it actually a better college town. I always enjoy my trips there. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
August 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
NP. JMU is on I-81 in Harrisonburg, VA on the west side of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can see the stadium from the highway, matter of fact I usually park on the east side of I-81 and walk through the tunnel to the stadium. There's really nothing close to Harrisonburg, it's kinda in the middle of nowhere, which IMO makes it actually a better college town. I always enjoy my trips there. xthumbsupx

We probably tailgated close to each other last year (there were several UD peoples near us). I always park at the Convocation Center (the FABULOUS name for our FABULOUS b-ball arena [note the sarcasm]).

Incidentally, UD has my vote for best souvenir. The knit hat (I call it a toboggan) that has the helmet design.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
We probably tailgated close to each other last year (there were several UD peoples near us). I always park at the Convocation Center (the FABULOUS name for our FABULOUS b-ball arena [note the sarcasm]).

Incidentally, UD has my vote for best souvenir. The knit hat (I call it a toboggan) that has the helmet design.My son wears his non-stop in the winter. We also have a YouDee head that I wear to games sometimes (you can wear it on your head or over). Picture below is the real YouDee wearing my hat at the W&M game two years ago.

I was not at JMU last year, but was in 2004.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=856&stc=1&d=1131853838