PDA

View Full Version : Lester In, Piniero Sent Packing

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Boston has recalled Jon Lester and designated Joel Piniero for assignment following todays game.

Lester will start tomorrow in Cleveland and Julian Tavarez will return to the bullpen.

Col Hogan
July 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Let us hope Lester picks up where he left off last season before his cancer diagnoses...

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
cant really be any worse then what Tavarez has been lately unless Lester morphs into Kei Igawa :p

Reed Rothchild
July 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
cant really be any worse then what Tavarez has been lately unless Lester morphs into Kei Igawa :p

You can surely have Kei Igawa if you want!

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
:) ok. I actually think he will rebound very nicely next year into a 3 or 4 starter

Reed Rothchild
July 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
:) ok. I actually think he will rebound very nicely next year into a 3 or 4 starter

Yep, he'll be the next Jose Contreras. xnodx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
I hope Tavarez proves me wrong, but I think I would have kept Piniero. All I can think about is Tavarez in last year's bullpen when he was one of the Butane Brothers (as in throwing gasoline onto a fire) along with another reliever long since cut. And then those ground balls rolled to first base! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xnonono2x

UNHWildCats
July 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
I hope Tavarez proves me wrong, but I think I would have kept Piniero. All I can think about is Tavarez in last year's bullpen when he was one of the Butane Brothers (as in throwing gasoline onto a fire) along with another reliever long since cut. And then those ground balls rolled to first base! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xnonono2x

But he was very good down the stretch and has been very good this year the first time through the lineup. Piniero... He wasnt good at all last year and he hasnt been good at all this year. It was a no brainer really.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
But he was very good down the stretch and has been very good this year the first time through the lineup. Piniero... He wasnt good at all last year and he hasnt been good at all this year. It was a no brainer really.

The only time Tavarez was good was as a starter down the stretch last year and early last year. He was terrible coming out of the bullpen last season. I don't think Tavarez the reliever vs. Piniero is a no brainer. Do you have Julian's stats from last year before he became a starter? I don't think they were very good at all.

Question for you, do you keep Julian when Schilling comes back? Not me, I'd prefer Gabbard, Lester, Synder, Delcarmen, etc. remain with the Sox.

ISUMatt
July 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Piniero would be a stud in the White Sox bullpen LOL

Eyes of Old Main
July 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I thought Piniero was supposed to be a stud in the Red Sox bullpen.

UNHWildCats
July 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
The only time Tavarez was good was as a starter down the stretch last year and early last year. He was terrible coming out of the bullpen last season. I don't think Tavarez the reliever vs. Piniero is a no brainer. Do you have Julian's stats from last year before he became a starter? I don't think they were very good at all.

Question for you, do you keep Julian when Schilling comes back? Not me, I'd prefer Gabbard, Lester, Synder, Delcarmen, etc. remain with the Sox.

July 25 - August 27 (at which time he became a starter.)

12.1 Innings 3 runs 8 K's

---------------------

As for when Schilling returns, it depends on what happens between now and then, if Tavarez is effective I send Lopez to AAA and move Gabbard to the bullpen until Sept 1 when the rosters expand and call Lopez back up. Tavarez could be a big asset in the playoffs.

This of course may not matter because he could be sent away in a trade before the deadline or if bullpen arms are obtained could be designated for assignment.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM
July 25 - August 27 (at which time he became a starter.)

12.1 Innings 3 runs 8 K's

---------------------

As for when Schilling returns, it depends on what happens between now and then, if Tavarez is effective I send Lopez to AAA and move Gabbard to the bullpen until Sept 1 when the rosters expand and call Lopez back up. Tavarez could be a big asset in the playoffs.

This of course may not matter because he could be sent away in a trade before the deadline or if bullpen arms are obtained could be designated for assignment.

I love how you conveniently drop his stats from April, May, June and the vast majority of July. I don't think that one month stretch offsets over half the season.

FWIW, I think Lopez sticks because he is left handed.

Julian has been a stand up guy saying all the right stuff about team play and I know he's one of Manny's boyz on the team, but I'm just not sold on his value to the team. And those ground balls to the first baseman rather than a standard throw just give me the willies, a freaking disaster waiting to happen. JMHO, but he's got to pitch lights out during the next couple of weeks or Gabbard/Lopez/Synder have to implode for Julian to stick with the Sox. If Synder has options, then that's probably Julian's best bet for a roster slot. That would allow the Sox to avoid swallowing Julian's salary.

UNHWildCats
July 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I love how you conveniently drop his stats from April, May, June and the vast majority of July. I don't think that one month stretch offsets over half the season.

FWIW, I think Lopez sticks because he is left handed.

Julian has been a stand up guy saying all the right stuff about team play and I know he's one of Manny's boyz on the team, but I'm just not sold on his value to the team. And those ground balls to the first baseman rather than a standard throw just give me the willies, a freaking disaster waiting to happen. JMHO, but he's got to pitch lights out during the next couple of weeks or Gabbard/Lopez/Synder have to implode for Julian to stick with the Sox. If Synder has options, then that's probably Julian's best bet for a roster slot. That would allow the Sox to avoid swallowing Julian's salary.

When my statement was that Tavarez was good down the stretch and you disputed that what am i suppose to respond with? Career stats? I responded with the stats that backed up my original statement, that in the weeks before becoming a starter last year he had become very effective in the bullpen.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
When my statement was that Tavarez was good down the stretch and you disputed that what am i suppose to respond with? Career stats? I responded with the stats that backed up my original statement, that in the weeks before becoming a starter last year he had become very effective in the bullpen.

I admit that the only part of down the stretch quality pitching by Tavarez I recalled was in a starting role. And I forgot you were only commenting on down the stretch while I was talking about and questioning his overall time as a reliever. :o Unfortunately, one month is a very short period of time and the Sox fell out of contention while Julian got better. We can agree to disagree, I just don't have a lot of faith in Tavarez.

BTW, one name I should have mentioned was Mike Timlin. Do you agree that he has regained his old form and deserves his roster slot? A few weeks ago and I thought he was washed up, but he seems to be effective once again. I'm not sure he'll get that 8th inning set up role back, but I think he has gained Francona's trust once again.

UNHWildCats
July 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM
two weeks ago i was saying he should be released but yes Timlin seems back. The 8th inning role is Okajima's unless he completely collapses or Boston aquires a closer like reliever like Gagne then they can have more flexability with Okajima.

I still say Lopez is out when Schilling returns because Gabbard and Okajima are leftys and they dont need three of them in the bullpen. Lopez has struggled lately too so that helps the decision, he of course will be called back up on Sept 1.

CopperCat
July 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Lester coming back (and winning) gives the Sox an emotional boost, much needed right now.

And this is a great comeback story. Lester has alot of life left to live, and he knows that. He went in there and had a great game against a good team. I'm always glad to see the Sox win, but I'm even more glad to see a guy like this come back and be something great.xnodx

Congrats to Mr. Lester. My hat is off to you!