PDA

View Full Version : University of Maine Alfond Stadium Improvements Announced

mainejeff
February 17th, 2021, 10:16 AM
As part of $110 million athletic facilities master plan.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/2021/1/26/harold-alfond-sports-stadium.aspx

Should help keep Maine competitive in CAA and the FCS.

https://goblackbears.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2021/1/26/Football2_.jpg

https://goblackbears.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2021/1/26/Football1_.jpg

https://goblackbears.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2021/1/26/Football_Locker_Room_.jpg

https://goblackbears.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2021/1/29/Football_Team_Film_Room__1_.jpg

NHwildEcat
February 17th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Pretty nice stuff! What's the timeline on those football stadium updates? I know this was part of a whole athletics revamp - so wasn't what was first.

Bigger question - will it be done before the CAA implodes?

MSUBobcat
February 17th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Very cool. Nice to see they are removing the track also. Congrats!

mainejeff
February 17th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Pretty nice stuff! What's the timeline on those football stadium updates? I know this was part of a whole athletics revamp - so wasn't what was first.

Bigger question - will it be done before the CAA implodes?

Good question on the timeline....the AD and others have hinted that there is an order to this....especially from a construction standpoint. First up are the new women's sports fields....soccer, field hockey & softball. Looks like they will be constructed in 2022 in time for the 2022 fall season(?). I'm guessing that next up will be the football stadium improvements (track removal, grandstand reconfiguration, new turf and other enhancements not related to the new facility in the South end zone. The Speed Dome (with indoor track) will probably go in at that time....or right after......so we might be talking 2023 construction for the 2023 season. New basketball facility along with football related enhancements is probably going to be a 2 year construction timeline (2024-2025) with maybe those facilities being available for the 2025 football season.....and 2025-2026 basketball season.

As far as the CAA goes....implosion from what? The majority of the CAA Football group seems pretty sound to me. JMU maybe goes bye-bye. And even if Richmond, W&M & Elon do their own thing.....that still leaves 8 members with Monmouth waiting in the wings.

NHwildEcat
February 17th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Good question on the timeline....the AD and others have hinted that there is an order to this....especially from a construction standpoint. First up are the new women's sports fields....soccer, field hockey & softball. Looks like they will be constructed in 2022 in time for the 2022 fall season(?). I'm guessing that next up will be the football stadium improvements (track removal, grandstand reconfiguration, new turf and other enhancements not related to the new facility in the South end zone. The Speed Dome (with indoor track) will probably go in at that time....or right after......so we might be talking 2023 construction for the 2023 season. New basketball facility along with football related enhancements is probably going to be a 2 year construction timeline (2024-2025) with maybe those facilities being available for the 2025 football season.....and 2025-2026 basketball season.

As far as the CAA goes....implosion from what? The majority of the CAA Football group seems pretty sound to me. JMU maybe goes bye-bye. And even if Richmond, W&M & Elon do their own thing.....that still leaves 8 members with Monmouth waiting in the wings.

Does Maine have an on sight hoops facility now? I saw them against UNH and it was like a small gym they were in. Seems well deserved and necessary for basketball.

From readings on FCS alignment etc, it sounds to me like the schools within the CAA aren't really seeing eye to eye lately and their has been rumblings of a split. The northern schools playing under America East - and I don't know about the southern programs. Most of the schools aren't full members of CAA which I think is helping drive issues. Maybe nothing comes of it, but it seems within the realm of possibilities.

JMU isn't going anywhere unless they get an FBS invite from the American. I am not sure any other move would be worth the investment for them.

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 17th, 2021, 01:37 PM
UMaine hoops played on campus in the Pit because of Covid and no crowds allowed. If not for Covid they would have been playing at the Bangor Civic Center which has been home court for the past several years. Now with these upgrades Maine will have a 3K multiuse basketball facility adjacent to the south end of the football field. Thank-you Harold Alfond, huge benefactor to the state of Maine.

mainejeff
February 17th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Does Maine have an on sight hoops facility now? I saw them against UNH and it was like a small gym they were in. Seems well deserved and necessary for basketball.

From readings on FCS alignment etc, it sounds to me like the schools within the CAA aren't really seeing eye to eye lately and their has been rumblings of a split. The northern schools playing under America East - and I don't know about the southern programs. Most of the schools aren't full members of CAA which I think is helping drive issues. Maybe nothing comes of it, but it seems within the realm of possibilities.

JMU isn't going anywhere unless they get an FBS invite from the American. I am not sure any other move would be worth the investment for them.

Maine has an outdated gym for basketball on campus but it has only been used recently due to COVID restrictions.

The way that I look at the CAA right now.....no one has any good options so we are all stuck with each other unless major changes happen in other leagues or at the NCAA level. And beyond that I think of Maine, UNH, Albany & Stony Brook having a solid alliance which really means something these days. If those 4 stick together......where is URI going? Delaware? Towson?

caribbeanhen
February 17th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Maine has an outdated gym for basketball on campus but it has only been used recently due to COVID restrictions.

The way that I look at the CAA right now.....no one has any good options so we are all stuck with each other unless major changes happen in other leagues or at the NCAA level. And beyond that I think of Maine, UNH, Albany & Stony Brook having a solid alliance which really means something these days. If those 4 stick together......where is URI going? Delaware? Towson?

Delaware already has their FBS like new and improved Delaware Stadium facility and a new athletic center right adjacent to it

I have no clue what the Delaware administration is trying to do if anything, they should be trying to get into FBS in one fans opinion

But that idea probably doesn’t have the total support and financial wherewithal needed to get the job done

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 17th, 2021, 09:09 PM
Delaware already has their FBS like new and improved Delaware Stadium facility and a new athletic center right adjacent to it

I have no clue what the Delaware administration is trying to do if anything, they should be trying to get into FBS in one fans opinion

But that idea probably doesn’t have the total support and financial wherewithal needed to get the job done

Delaware's renovated Tub will fit in nicely with (FBS'ish) Fitton Field and Goodman Stadium in the Patriot League within a few years. Don't worry, #1 rival Villanova will be coming along in football. They'll be right at home with Catholic brethren Holy Cross, Fordham and Georgetown. Time will tell but I 100% believe it's a legit possibility. xcoffeex

W&M, Richmond and Elon would be perfect SoCon candidates. Richmond already has significant history with the SoCon.

Is UD's overall acceptance rate really hovering around 71%? For an administration that seems to tolerate football due to KC's "academic transgressions" a decade ago the admission department seems quite welcoming. 20 years ago it was brutally tough to get into UD out of state. Tougher than Maryland or Rutgers. More in line with Pitt for non PA'ers....

Flagship schools like UD, Maine, and UNH are in a tough spot with football. As long as "national universities" have a presence in FCS I think it's in their best interest to stay. But I get the desire/allure of the FBS designation. Who was the last flag-ship to move up? Idaho?

BTW, Lehigh needs to schedule a home and home with Maine! I've been to Maine but never Orono! The Montana of the East!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 17th, 2021, 09:15 PM

Maine, Albany, Stony Brook and UNH are a great "core 4" for in terms of resources and institutional respect. They would serve as a great backbone for any Northeastcentric athletic/football conference.

caribbeanhen
February 18th, 2021, 12:15 AM
Delaware's renovated Tub will fit in nicely with (FBS'ish) Fitton Field and Goodman Stadium in the Patriot League within a few years. Don't worry, #1 rival Villanova will be coming along in football. They'll be right at home with Catholic brethren Holy Cross, Fordham and Georgetown. Time will tell but I 100% believe it's a legit possibility. xcoffeex

W&M, Richmond and Elon would be perfect SoCon candidates. Richmond already has significant history with the SoCon.

Is UD's overall acceptance rate really hovering around 71%? For an administration that seems to tolerate football due to KC's "academic transgressions" a decade ago the admission department seems quite welcoming. 20 years ago it was brutally tough to get into UD out of state. Tougher than Maryland or Rutgers. More in line with Pitt for non PA'ers....

Flagship schools like UD, Maine, and UNH are in a tough spot with football. As long as "national universities" have a presence in FCS I think it's in their best interest to stay. But I get the desire/allure of the FBS designation. Who was the last flag-ship to move up? Idaho?

BTW, Lehigh needs to schedule a home and home with Maine! I've been to Maine but never Orono! The Montana of the East!

https://csnbbs.com/thread-915730-post-17253423.html#pid17253423

What about A10?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 18th, 2021, 07:01 AM
https://csnbbs.com/thread-915730-post-17253423.html#pid17253423

What about A10?

Yuck....

caribbeanhen
February 18th, 2021, 07:29 AM
Yuck....

That’s what I said when I saw you had Delaware going to the Patriot and demolishing the CAA

mainejeff
February 18th, 2021, 07:38 AM

I'd love to see a H & H with Lehigh. Maine recruits PA pretty heavily now so it would be great from a recruiting standpoint. I'd also like to see a CAA/Patriot H & H series. Maybe not everyone would participate but something like Leigh/Lafayette vs. Maine/UNH over 2 seasons. Also Fordham/Colgate vs. Albany/Stony Brook would make for some good match-ups.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 18th, 2021, 07:41 AM
That’s what I said when I saw you had Delaware going to the Patriot and demolishing the CAA

Time will tell how things play out. I still content the PL is more likely if the CAA does implode which would be the first ball to drop. Good to see Maine, W&M, Delaware improve their facilities regardless of conference (in)stability.

Either way, UNH, Maine, SBU, W&M, Richmond, Villanova JMU are far better company than WKU, Marshall, ODU etc.

dunbar
February 18th, 2021, 07:46 AM
The second one school leaves the CAA is the second AE needs to offer Delaware and Towson. The only unstable aspect of conference membership for AE schools is how CAA Football breaks. The league itself is extraordinarily stable.

mainejeff
February 18th, 2021, 09:39 AM
The second one school leaves the CAA is the second AE needs to offer Delaware and Towson. The only unstable aspect of conference membership for AE schools is how CAA Football breaks. The league itself is extraordinarily stable.

Agreed. America East has become the solid little tugboat.....sailing alongside the sinking Titanic. While I'd love to see America East Football.....my top target would be Northeastern and I actually think that Northeastern would consider.....probably more so than Delaware or Towson.

kdinva
February 18th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Fine looking project!! congrats.

knit35
February 18th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Awesome Project - should be a huge win for Maine - really cool to see

Sader87
February 18th, 2021, 04:53 PM
I'd love to see a H & H with Lehigh. Maine recruits PA pretty heavily now so it would be great from a recruiting standpoint. I'd also like to see a CAA/Patriot H & H series. Maybe not everyone would participate but something like Leigh/Lafayette vs. Maine/UNH over 2 seasons. Also Fordham/Colgate vs. Albany/Stony Brook would make for some good match-ups.

HC and URI are playing a home and home series in 2024 and 2025. They played against each other a fair amount in the 70s and 80s.

Congrats to UMaine on a great upgrade!

Anthony215
February 19th, 2021, 08:54 AM
With those renovations I would say Maine would be probably #3 in facilities in the CAA behind JMU and Delaware. I wonder what the capacity in the stadium will be with the additional seating in the endzone.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 19th, 2021, 08:58 AM
With those renovations I would say Maine would be probably #3 in facilities in the CAA behind JMU and Delaware. I wonder what the capacity in the stadium will be with the additional seating in the endzone.

I still really like renovated Zable at W&M! It was very well done in order to maintain continuity with the rest of their campus. Either way, glad to see the CAA (state) schools putting money back in their facilities during Covid. I think the investment will prove wise despite the timing....

Tribe4SF
February 22nd, 2021, 11:41 AM
I still really like renovated Zable at W&M! It was very well done in order to maintain continuity with the rest of their campus. Either way, glad to see the CAA (state) schools putting money back in their facilities during Covid. I think the investment will prove wise despite the timing....

Yeah, the renovated Zable with attached Laycock Operations Center and adjacent practice fields is hard to beat. New turf and new scoreboard with larger video board this year as well.

DFW HOYA
February 22nd, 2021, 11:55 AM
How would you rate the CAA facilities? Is Villanova or URI at the bottom?

Tribe4SF
February 22nd, 2021, 12:13 PM
How would you rate the CAA facilities? Is Villanova or URI at the bottom?

Nova has made some improvements so URI is alone at the bottom. The stadium I really don't like is Richmond. Stairways are really cramped and bathrooms are inadequate. If you go at the end of the half you might miss the second half kickoff. Elon and Towson have great visitors sides with large open areas on top with good concessions. Logistics to get to visitors side at UAlbany are not great and the seats are just metal bleachers with no concessions over there and just portajohns. Not a fan of Stony Brook either and they have the least hospitable fans in the league. JMU, UD and W&M are best overall.

mainejeff
October 29th, 2023, 01:04 PM
An update....Maine just released a RFQ for construction management services for the largest remaining portion of the planned new athletic facilities.

https://umaine.edu/ofm/wp-content/uploads/sites/225/2023/10/RFQ-CM@Risk_AthleticsNewMultiComplex.pdf

The big changes to Alfond Stadium...which will coincide with the construction of the new basketball arena which has estimated opening date of December 2026.....will be removal of the track around the field (YES!), removal and reconstruction of the "visitor" grandstand, and club lounge located in the new arena in the South end zone. The arena will enclose that end of the stadium and also house football operations including new offices, locker room, film room and fitness/weight room.